Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crying and Zazen

edited September 2012 in Meditation
Hello all! It has been a while since I have posted here. Since, I have joined my local Zendo and have been an active part of study group and discussions. On Sunday, I will be attending my first service. It will be a 50min meditation session with sutras, tea, and kinhin. The 50 minutes is broken up into 25 sitting, kinhin, then another 25mins sitting.

My Roshi mentioned to us not only when I met with him and the Ino, but even during discussion/group a couple of days later that people come to the Zendo when they have been through something traumatic. Something inside their heart, their mind, or both, changes.

I think one of my last posts here was in October of last year about a friend of mine who committed suicide. I also had open-heart surgery four years ago, and both of these things were traumatic for me, and have affected me deeply. So naturally, when my Roshi mentioned that to us, I thought of those things. That being said, I've read a quote or two (not sure where I came across it originally) that states that if you haven't cried while meditating, you haven't begun to meditate. So, I guess I'm slightly worried 'what if I cry while sitting in Zazen?' 'How do I deal with it, or cope?' 'Is it okay to cry?' I suppose what I'm trying to ask is, have any of you who are Zen Practitioners (Soto, Rinzai, or etc). cried while sitting? What happened? What did you do? Do you have any advice for me? I have not sat with my group yet, so it should be interesting, I think.

Thank you,

Skylotus

Comments

• I think that your zendo would be a great group of people.

But regardless what they think if you cry that is your feeling at the time. The Dalai Lama cautioned that if we meditate and never go into our 'stuff' we are not making the kind of progress that could be possible otherwise.

So I would say that I would expect they would be compassionate but regardless you are a good person and you have a heart and it is part of the human condition to feel sad. I hope you stay with your experience whatever happens.
    SkyLotusmithril
  • They are an excellent group of people! I hope it didn't come off that I didn't think so, I am just sort of concerned about what is 'proper' and what is 'not'? Perhaps that is a notion I should drop? Is it also strange that listening to dharma talks of life and death jar me emotionally? I know that we should simply observe things as they come and let them go; however, as you mentioned, it's okay to experience these emotions, right? Thank you so much for your comments.
  • SkyLotus said:

They are an excellent group of people! I hope it didn't come off that I didn't think so, I am just sort of concerned about what is 'proper' and what is 'not'? Perhaps that is a notion I should drop? Is it also strange that listening to dharma talks of life and death jar me emotionally? I know that we should simply observe things as they come and let them go; however, as you mentioned, it's okay to experience these emotions, right? Thank you so much for your comments.

Observe everything! :)

I cry when I cry.

I sleep when I sleep.

I eat when I eat.

It is just another thing we do.

Disclaimer: I am not typing that as some Buddhists would when they say I sleep when I sleep and I eat when I eat.. some of them are crazy as in wisdom. I am not, I was just trying to say that if I cry then I cry, I don't suppress it. I am not always in a constant state of virtuous awareness or anything nirvana like :lol:

By the way I have cried at the center I used to go to while we were all doing a short meditation before my guru spoke. I was mixed up in some stuff that really ravaged me and was completely against my conscience and was feeling so regretful.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2012
    During a sesshin, once, I was a meal server. Meal servers fed everyone in the zendo first and only later had their own meal. And on one particular day, as the meal servers sat around a low table doing chants that preceded the meal, we came to one particular line in one particular chant. On reciting the line, I burst into tears. And at precisely the same moment, a server sitting across the table from me burst into uncontrollable laughter.
    sovamithril
  • Hi Skylotus,
    I can relate to this.. when I first began meditating I was basically full of so much pain that I'd repressed for decades! So naturally lots of stuff began to arise, sometimes I couldn't even pinpoint exactly what it was! But I always just let it come up, and out and let the tears flow- However I have met other meditators who left retreats because this began happening to them, and they werent' comfortable letting it come up and out then and I guess you have to do whats right for you at the time. I believe it is part of the process, and for me, I always felt better afterwards:) Its sort of the emptying out process, letting go of stuff that you believe is you, it needs to be felt/acknowledged and let go of.. I would think that if I was in a sangha that looked down on or discouraged tears, I'd probably find another sangha. Thats just me;)
    Anyway, best wishes!
    Peace and metta:)
    mithril
  • I'm sure my sangha doesn't discourage tears! I was just worried. I'm a bit of a worrywart. Thank you so much for sharing your story and helping me understand what I should/need to do when this sort of thing does happen. It gives me comfort that it is not some sort of unusual occurrence, but the natural way of emotions, I suppose, as well as our own self-perceptions!
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    There is, I believe, an old Theravadin quote along the lines of

"A morning not spent weeping is a morning wasted,
    An afternoon not spent weeping is an afternoon wasted,
    A night not spent weeping is a night wasted."

We are callous and blunted, our experience and perceptions;
    To weep, our shell dissolves

we are already naked
    do not be afraid to cry
    SkyLotusmithrillobsterSile
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    @SkyLotus, Whatever happens 'in the moment' is what is happening 'in the moment'; so simply 'be' in 'the moment', observe - do not evaluate, commentate, judge, condemn, applaud or criticise.
    Accept.
    Move on.
    It's fine.
    @genkaku, laughter and crying are close bed-fellows... sometimes, when people hear tragic news, there is an impulse to smile/laugh... it's a psychological "knee-jerk reaction" in response to sudden unnerving stimulii.

You guys were closer than you thought.

:)
    SkyLotusMaryAnne
  • Recognize you want to fit in and the fear is from an instinct to avoid social embarassment. We all have that. Understand that everyone in that sangha has the same fear. If you do cry or laugh, what will happen? Nothing. Like thoughts, examine the fear, understand it for what it is, and keep going.

You want to know my most embarassing zazen experience? I had skipped breakfast that day, and for some reason my stomach and guts began growling and making noises during the quiet meditation like my plumbing was going to explode. I could only sit there with a tremendous blush on my face. Then the noises stopped, and I had an overpowering fart emerge that I couldn't control.

The entire room erupted with laughter and when it turned out be a stinker, the Teacher told us all we needed an unscheduled break, "for some, more than others" and reminded us the bathrooms were in the basement.

And I had to go back in and sit back down later. Thankfully, my guts had quieted down by then. I didn't get much real meditation done that day, though.

mithrilJeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    It's ok to cry. :) Nearly everyone cries. I've cried before, more than once. I've seen lot of other people cry too. Even grown up old men! I bet the Buddha did too at one time or another. What do you do about it? You just (quietly) cry! You just let the tears flow and just feel what you are feeling. Then after a little while, it will stop and that's that. But when you are sitting with a group, it's best to try to not make too much noise.
    mithril
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...And sniffing is really irritating..... :D

Someone in my group began to cry. She quietly got up and left the session, with as little disruption to others as possible, and returned and resumed, once she felt better.
    Nobody commented, nobody minded, and although she apologised, we all assured her it was entirely unnecessary....
    mithrilSkyLotus
  • No crying and certainly no laughing ;) .
    sovamithrilSkyLotus
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Well, i generally meditate alone - and occasionally i was crying so much i thought - well, i guess it would be enough for today, i still have stuff to do and i need my eyesight. So if i was in a group and somebody burst into tears i'd be more likely to join in then judge them :p

@Cinorjer +1 on the growling guts - the few times i did group meditation it often happened to me too. :rant: :lol:
  • edited September 2012
    Everyone's comments have been absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for your support! I want to the Zendo this morning for Zazen, and it was wonderful. I didn't cry today, but I'm sure somewhere down the road I will, and I will keep all of your suggestions in mind. If anything I felt sort of awkward during Kinhin at first because my left foot fell asleep during the first 25 minutes of meditation. LOL. After the service the Ino came up to me and told me I did an exellent job. I was very glad that I did well, as my disability gives me a bit of trouble. It turns out my Roshi wears a leg brace like me, even on the same leg!

@Cinorjer HA! That is fantastic! At least your group laughed! LOL. I'm sure it was all in a good-natured fashion.

@PrairieGhost No, of course not. :D
    mithrilPrairieGhostJeffrey
  • Crying can be joyous. I remember putting my arm around a nun who was crying. Thinking back the emotion and etiquette did not require the arm. Nobody minded and I regularly cry without remorse or sadness, it just sort of arises during practice. :bawl:
  • lobster said:

Crying can be joyous. I remember putting my arm around a nun who was crying. Thinking back the emotion and etiquette did not require the arm. Nobody minded and I regularly cry without remorse or sadness, it just sort of arises during practice. :bawl:

I have had times where I have cried for maybe 2 hours just laying by myself and going through the motions of sniffling to full blown crying like a baby over and over. It felt good at times though, I think we all need to cry at times, we are not robots, crying is a reaction to a human emotion. When the crying is finished then you can look back and maybe see where and why things happened as they did.
  • SkyLotus said:

They are an excellent group of people! I hope it didn't come off that I didn't think so, I am just sort of concerned about what is 'proper' and what is 'not'? Perhaps that is a notion I should drop? Is it also strange that listening to dharma talks of life and death jar me emotionally? I know that we should simply observe things as they come and let them go; however, as you mentioned, it's okay to experience these emotions, right? Thank you so much for your comments.

As a follow up to what the roshi said, ask the Ino if it's ok to cry, and explain what you've been through. He/she should be able to advise you.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I have cried a dozen times, but it's like falling leafs. They come, so just let them come . Pay attention to them and embrace them!
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I remember Yangsi Rinpoche saying once that sometimes when he thinks about his teachers in life, the magnitude of their patience toward him, he can cry for hours. I thought that was interesting, that he just calmly said he can cry for hours, without making any big deal about it as if it were a weakness, or unmanly, etc.

I don't know about zazen protocol, but I've seen many people cry during teachings; I always recall the moment Geshe Sopa said you don't have to give up on yourself "...even if you have killed someone," and looked briefly at a young man near me, who then began crying silently.
  • Remorse and gratitude. Sufis regularly weep all night.
    The emotions can be spiritualised.
    Lust for enlightenment, makes a good log for our far shore raft.