Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hope

A few places now I've read that Buddhism teaches us to give up hope because it's always tied to fear and often leads to disappointment. I'm fine with that, but what do we give people in place of hope?

Comments

• On the contrary, Buddhism gives us hope that there is a way to happiness. The way is the N8FP.

In a strange way, one soon realises to the way to true happiness is not to rely on hope!
    "Monks, there are these two searches: ignoble search & noble search. And what is ignoble search? There is the case where a person, being subject himself to birth, seeks [happiness in] what is likewise subject to birth. Being subject himself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, he seeks [happiness in] what is likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, Buddhism gives us confidence that there is a way to happiness.

I detest the word 'Hope'. It's often associated with Blind faith, or 'false'.
    I keep reminding people that Pandora was given a box containing all the evils of the world, and the one which remained trapped, was 'Hope'.

Two things:
    One: It's stuck in a dark place, locked in and nowhere to go.

Two, it isn't an exception to "All the evils of the World". It was in there, with them, as one of them.

Hope is a natural desire, such as 'I hope I wake up tomorrow', or 'I hope the meeting goes well'... but that puts a dependency entirely on outside factors, many or most of which are completely beyond our control.
    To discard Hope, is to take control, and be a bed-fellow of active acceptance.
    mithrilFoibleFull
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    When I asked him about hope and belief, my Zen teacher once observed, "For the first four or five years [of meditation practice], hope and belief are necessary. After that, they are not so necessary."

Practice nourishes experience, and experience trumps belief and hope.
    Cinorjer
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    I agree with federica. As you begin to experience gains from your Buddhist practices, you start to gain confidence from your experience.
    Mind you, it took me about 5 years to start to gain confidence. I do not know if I am a slow learner or just average.

One of the trickiest things in being a Buddhist is trying to NOT hang onto things. Things like hope, like wanting certainty, like belief (which is a desire for "security" in our knowledge of how things supposedly work). All you can really do is observe the inner struggle, and at some point it starts to become more amusing than exasperating. I am sure there are many on this forum who are well past the point I am at, and can comment on it much clearer.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I always tell people that 'Hope' contains a big, fat 'O'....
  • That's funny you mention belief, FoibleFull, because I hear about the importance of faith from Buddhist masters and teachers again and again. I don't think there's anything wrong with beliefs, they guide our world, it's just when you grasp at them and try to keep them concrete in your mind, you suffer.
  • I just realized that's pretty much what you said, @FoibleFull, I just wanted to emphasize it's not belief, hope or wanting certainty that are the problem, those are all human things, it's the clinging to them that creates the problem. The key for me is to start letting go of my expectations a lot more and I am doing better at that. It's also not being so entrenched in my beliefs that I start to become defensive about them and attack people, but am willing to hear others. I am doing better with that, it's just a slow process and because I'm an Aries haha. I am hopeful about the future of humanity, but that hope comes more from a place of confidence of what I know and have seen we are capable of.
  • I also was turned off when I read in one of the books that "hope" is to be abandoned. In my native language, that word has very positive, even spiritual connotations, more so than in English. But "hope" is just a word, and when we get too attached to words, we become confused. With the help of my Zen teacher, I have come to terms with this question, at least for now.

Hope can be taken as a reverse of Fear. Only Fear is getting attached to a negative vision of the future, while Hope is getting attached to a positive version of future. In either case, while we fundamentally don't and can't know the future, we make up some idea about it and then live our lives as if that idea were true, losing touch with the way things really are. We become attached and attachments typically lead to suffering.

But "hope" in a more Buddhist sense of the word can be taken as a kind of confidence that no matter what the future brings, one can find and live one's true nature. That is, regardless of what's happening "outside" of us, there is an understanding, realization "inside" that makes it alright. In a way, that truer kind if hope is giving up all hope about things turning out a certain way and finding solace in just this moment, in the knowledge that there is a correct action in it, whatever the moment is.
    ClayTheScribeMaryAnnetmottes
  • "Hope" is about expecting/expectations. I don't think there is anything wrong for holding "hope" about the world around us eventually becoming more pleasant, more enlightened, more compassionate, more peaceful, etc.

"Be The Change You Want to See in The World" (that is a form of hope)

How one reacts when that hope isn't realized as fast, or as completely, or ever - is where the attachment to hope comes into play. That's what should be avoided (IMO) is the attachment and craving that can go along with hope when we think our hopeful thoughts (wishful thinking) can control or affect reality- when in the end, it doesn't. We must BE the hope....

Wow, not even done with my first cuppa coffee this morning... did that make sense?? LOL :o

• Well, in a sense our thoughts and beliefs do affect reality, which is why The Buddha said "Mind is the forerunner of all things." Of course action is what helps manifest it sooner.
    MaryAnne
  • The basis for hope and fear is always some kind of personal narrative. Buddhist practice erodes the identification with that narrative, and the hope and fear weaken accordingly.
  • No, Buddhism gives us confidence that there is a way to happiness.
    This is guaranteed. Not hopefully, not maybe, not with a following wind . . .
    The middle way works. You must adopt and practice of course.
    It is also guaranteed that difficulties occur in life. We can increase our skilful means to deal with them.
    It is like smiling at people. People respond better. They may smile back. You can try it. You don't need hope. You won't be dissapointed.