Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 'I' isn't permanent

In Buddhism, the 'I' or the sense of self isn't a permanent entity as in Hinduism but something which keeps changing. This moment I am angry, so 'I' in this case is anger. Next moment I am sad, so the 'I' is sadness. And so on. So the I is one thing now, another thing later.

But wouldn't this pose a problem when it comes to practicing meditation? No permanent I ... so who's meditating?

Comments

• I thought there was a permanent I in Buddhism?
  • That's a good question, but we should consider it lightly without expectation to have 'the answer'. Definitely a fertile ground to uproot unfounded assumptions.
  • RebeccaS:
    I thought there was a permanent I in Buddhism?
    Yes there is.
    “The self (in thee), man, knows what is true or false.
    Surely the noble Witness, sir, the Self,
    You do misjudge, in that when sin is there
    You do conceal the Self within the self...
    Thus he who has the Self
    As master, let him walk with heed, for whom
    The world is master—shrewdly walk, for whom
    Dhamma is master (as a) muser (let him walk).
    Who lives as Dhamma bids him never fails."
    (Anguttara-Nikaya i.149, from I.B. Horner's Early Buddhist Theory of Man
    Perfected
    , p. 145)
    RebeccaSJeffrey
  • Songhill said:

Anguttara-Nikaya i.149

What does AN i.149 correspond to in the reference scheme used at Access to Insight? And is there a tutorial for mapping between the different schemes? I have been finding this confusion to be quite a hindrance, lately.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    fivebells said:

Songhill said:

Anguttara-Nikaya i.149

What does AN i.149 correspond to in the reference scheme used at Access to Insight? And is there a tutorial for mapping between the different schemes? I have been finding this confusion to be quite a hindrance, lately.
    It corresponds to AN 3.40, the Adhipateyya Sutta (an alternate translation can also be found here).

Just for reference, Peter Harvey mentions this passage in The Selfless Mind (p. 22) and argues against Horner's translation, which Horner interprets as referring to an Upanishadic self but Harvey sees as more mundane and indicative that early Buddhists "regarded the empirical self as a definite quantity to be reckoned with."

The notion of a permanent self or 'I' is one of the most debated (not to mention interesting) topics in Buddhism.
    Cittalobster
  • Jason said:

The notion of a permanent self or 'I' is one of the most debated (not to mention interesting) topics in Buddhism.

Isn't there different schools of thought that say there is absolutely no self and others that say there is a self?
    edited October 2012

Jason said:

Isn't there different schools of thought that say there is absolutely no self and others that say there is a self?
    Yep, and everything in between, including those who think it's better to set the question itself aside. (I personally tend to lean more towards the latter and take a more pragmatic apporach, e.g., see this, this, this, and this.)
  • Jason said:

Jason said:

Yep, and everything in between.
    I can see where both sides are coming from.

I'm not too sure exactly where I stand with that because I am not so evolved where I can plunge the deepest depths to get at that which is regarded as the self in certain schools of thought.

I feel I lean towards the no self..

Anyhow it most definitely is very interesting.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    It's ok to wonder "I am?" In fact how would you be aware of that question other than asking it. Buddha must have asked or else he would never have the answer given.
  • It corresponds to AN 3.40, the Adhipateyya Sutta
    Thanks, Jason. Is that something you know as an incidental fact from your study of the suttas, or did you use a more systematic principle/method for mapping between the reference schemes?
    fivebells said:

It corresponds to AN 3.40, the Adhipateyya Sutta
    Thanks, Jason. Is that something you know as an incidental fact from your study of the suttas, or did you use a more systematic principle/method for mapping between the reference schemes?

Mostly the former. Also, if you check ATI's reference scheme (which for AN refers to nipata and sutta number using Woodward's translation as a guide), they also include a link to the original Pali utilizing the Pali Text Society's printed edition reference scheme, which corresponds to volume and starting page number. This one took me a minute because it was off by 2 ( A i 147 vs A i 149). The link you posted above to ATI explains much of this, actually.
  • Spot on taiyaki. These things have to be found experientially. On the cushion. All forms of words end up chasing their own tails.
    sova
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    If you see a meditator then that is your experience. Thinking. And thinking is the only game in town. But that is not to say that there is a meditator. I point that out to say that seeing everything as causal does not negitate a raw experience.
  • It is interesting to see how the self or rather objects of perception are constructed and maintained.

What gives things their solidity? What builds them?

We are actively building everything in our experience. Actively the chain of ignorance in dependent origination is at work.

So some questions to investigate in meditation:

How does clinging (aversion/attachment) relate to the solidity of the object?

How does naming relate to the object of perception?

When we actively look for the emptiness of objects or self, what occurs?

If something disappears, what is happening?

How does attention, intention, and view correlate with experience?

Remember ignorance is not the lack of knowledge, it is the assumptions already set in place. They may not even be conceptual assumptions. The very way we perceive down to the fundamental level is ignorance and we do not examine this subtle ignorance.

If we do not see the emptiness of self and phenomena then we are probably solidifying/objectifying and clinging.

May your prajna grow and may you all find peace.
    sova
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I like how you are examining the mind rather than try to control the environment which is compound and not in your control.

Pema Chodron says this is like covering the feet with shoes rather than try to cover the whole world.
  • Fantastic, thanks @Jason.
  • fivebells:
    Access to insight is a snapshot of the Nikayas. Not all the Suttas are on Access.
  • Jeffrey said:

But wouldn't this pose a problem when it comes to practicing meditation? No permanent I ... so who's meditating?

This is a practice instruction, not an ontological position. The instruction is that whatever arises, it will be seen that "This is not mine, this is not me, this is not myself." The question of whether there is in fact a self beyond what arises in personal experience (all of which is to be seen as not-self) is a distraction from the goal of the practice.
    Jason
  • Jeffrey said:

I like how you are examining the mind rather than try to control the environment which is compound and not in your control.

Pema Chodron says this is like covering the feet with shoes rather than try to cover the whole world.

This is Hinayana style of investigation. Eventually the emptiness of self leads to investigation of phenomena, which are equally empty. Mahayana presupposes the non duality of self and phenomena and the equality of emptiness.

Just some more words for ya. <3
    Jeffrey
  • Jason:

I have read Peter Harvey's book. On the passage in question (page 22), Harvey is silent as to whom actually translated this passage. This does not match Horner's translation in the book which I earlier cited; nor does it match the passage in the PTS Anguttara Nikaya (A. i. 149) (trans. Woodward). Here is the PTS translation:
    The self in thee, ! knows what's true or false.
    Indeed, my friend, thou scorn'st the noble self,
    Thinking to hide the evil in thee
    From self who witnessed it. Tathagatas
    And devas see the fool who in the world
    Walks crookedly. Thus he who has the Self
    Dhamma is master, muser (let him walk).
    taiyaki said:

Jeffrey said:

This is Hinayana style of investigation. Eventually the emptiness of self leads to investigation of phenomena, which are equally empty. Mahayana presupposes the non duality of self and phenomena and the equality of emptiness.

Just some more words for ya. <3</p>
    Because the form skhanda must interbe with the four mental skhandas it doesn't matter if you grasp onto the hinayana or mahayana end of the stick. There is no separation.
    edited October 2012
    Songhill said:

Jason:

I have read Peter Harvey's book. On the passage in question (page 22), Harvey is silent as to whom actually translated this passage. This does not match Horner's translation in the book which I earlier cited; nor does it match the passage in the PTS Anguttara Nikaya (A. i. 149) (trans. Woodward). Here is the PTS translation:

The self in thee, ! knows what's true or false.
    Indeed, my friend, thou scorn'st the noble self,
    Thinking to hide the evil in thee
    From self who witnessed it. Tathagatas
    And devas see the fool who in the world
    Walks crookedly. Thus he who has the Self
    Dhamma is master, muser (let him walk).
    The initial passage, yes (which may be his or even Bhattacharya's translation, I don't know). But if you read the page in question, Harvey mentions the portion of Horner's translation that he takes issue with and explains why he disagrees with it and the idea that this sutta refers to a 'Great Self' or Upanisadic Self in general:
    Horner translates: '. . . Indeed, my friend, thou scorn'st the noble self, thinking to hide the evil self in thee from the self who witnessed it...' This gives the impression that there is a good/noble self which co-exists with and is witness to the acts of an 'evil' self. However, the Pali word translated as 'witness' or 'who witnessed it', 'sakkhi', is in the nominative or vocative case, the latter being most likely after 'bho' , 'dear', or 'my friend'. It is not in the ablative, as implied by Horner's translation. The passage thus seems to mean: your self witnesses good and bad actions, but you neglect to cultivate good aspects of yourself and only hide the real evil parts, but not only yourself, tathagatas and gods see through you! The passage does refer to good and bad selves, but one is not a witness to what the other does. The two refer to good and bad aspects of personality, and the 'self' which witnesses both is identical with neither, but probably refers to deeper aspects of citta acting as 'conscience'. As for having 'self as master' (attahipako), the context (A.I.147) indicates that 'dominance of the self (attadhipateyyam)' refers to striving energetically, so as not to be ashamed of one's laxity, just as 'dominance of the world' refers to doing so lest gods intuit the bad states in one's mind. Having 'self as master', then, means being in charge of oneself, preserving one's integrity by not doing anything that one would be ashamed of. No underlying 'Great Self' is implied.
  • Trungpa said that the hinayana was about taming the mind whereas the mahayana is about training it. Training is (and is like) the bodhisattva who is training himself to make favorable situations for sentient beings.
    taiyaki
  • Jason:

As far as I can see, Horner never translated that passage as Harvey wishes us to believe. Where Harvey came up with this passage attributed to Horner he does not actually say. Harvey, in fact, mis-cites Horner on page 279. Her article 'Attâ and Anattâ' in Studies in Comparative Religion is Vol. 7, #1, Winter 1973 — not 1971.

I followed her translation in Pali, and it's not bad. This is the pericope she uses in the journal article. I don't see much wrong with this if anything.

The self in thee (attā te) O man, knows what is true and what is false. (Attā te purisa jānāti, saccaṃ vā yadi vā musā)
    edited October 2012
    Songhill said:

Jason:

As far as I can see, Horner never translated that passage as Harvey wishes us to believe. Where Harvey came up with this passage attributed to Horner he does not actually say. Harvey, in fact, mis-cites Horner on page 279. Her article 'Attâ and Anattâ' in Studies in Comparative Religion is Vol. 7, #1, Winter 1973 — not 1971.

I followed her translation in Pali, and it's not bad. This is the pericope she uses in the journal article. I don't see much wrong with this if anything.

The self in thee (attā te) O man, knows what is true and what is false. (Attā te purisa jānāti, saccaṃ vā yadi vā musā)

I see. Well, if you happen to have a hard copy around, maybe you could check his bibliography and see which book he's referencing here as "Horner 1971: 34." It's possible he's referring to Woodward's translation and simply misattributed it to Horner. Or maybe he's using one of Horner's translations from something other than Early Buddhist theory of man perfected or "Attâ and Anattâ." If it's indeed an error, maybe someone should send him an email and let him know.

Edit: I sent him an email notifying him of the possible attribution/citation errors. Will let you know if he responds.
  • jlljll Veteran
    The 'I' is impermanent, but we cant see it.
    if you can see the anatta, you have arrived my friend.
    you are a long way from there, i presume.
    music said:

In Buddhism, the 'I' or the sense of self isn't a permanent entity as in Hinduism but something which keeps changing. This moment I am angry, so 'I' in this case is anger. Next moment I am sad, so the 'I' is sadness. And so on. So the I is one thing now, another thing later.

• Jason:
    It's possible he's referring to Woodward's translation and simply misattributed it to Horner.
    Yep. That's it.
  • jll:
    What is impermanent are the five aggregates (khandhas). When the Buddha says of these aggregates that they are not my self (na meso attâ), the Buddha's self in never said to be impermanent. In addition, we learn from the canon that the five aggregates are suffering (D.ii.305) and what is suffering is anattâ (yam dukkham tad anattâ) (S. iii. 45).
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    I (not not-I) find that the exploration gives one a sense of the reality or non reality of I-ness. If exploring the condition or identifying, we can find no independent I . . ..

As Chenresig (the empty and non existent) might say:

So, in emptiness, there is no body,
    no feeling, no thought,
    no will, no consciousness.
    There are no eyes, no ears,
    no nose, no tongue,
    no body, no mind.
    There is no seeing, no hearing,
    no smelling, no tasting,
    no touching, no imagining.
    There is nothing seen, nor heard,
    nor smelled, nor tasted,
    nor touched, nor imagined.
    Heart Suitor

Which is pretty cool if not read.
    I also find that the condition towards I, not I, suchness and other interior experiences or their absence are impermanent . . .

Oh Buddhas :rolleyes:
  • jlljll Veteran
    "Mere suffering exists, no sufferer is found. The deeds are, but no doer of the deeds is there. Nibbana [Nirvana] is, but not the man that enters it.
    Songhill said:

jll:

What is impermanent are the five aggregates (khandhas). When the Buddha says of these aggregates that they are not my self (na meso attâ), the Buddha's self in never said to be impermanent. In addition, we learn from the canon that the five aggregates are suffering (D.ii.305) and what is suffering is anattâ (yam dukkham tad anattâ) (S. iii. 45).
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Oh god not the emptiness again...
    DairyLama
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited October 2012
    JII:
    "Mere suffering exists, no sufferer is found. The deeds are, but no doer of the deeds is there. Nibbana [Nirvana] is, but not the man that enters it.
    Buddhaghosa said this (Vism. PTS, p. 513); who also said this:
    And there is peace, but no one to enjoy it;
    A way there is, but no one goes it.
    From the Theragâtha we read:
    "The five elements of existence, being known, stand with root
    cut off. I have obtained the annihilation of pain; I have attained
    the annihilation of the âsavas" (120).

"Whatever action a man does, a good or evil, he is heir of whatever action he does" (144)

From the Khandhavagga of the Samyutta Nikaya:
    But the instructed noble disciple ... does not regard form as self ... nor feeling as self ... nor perception as self ... no volitional formations as self ... nor consciousness as self....He no longer keeps running and revolving around form, around feeling, around perception, around volitional formations, around consciousness. As he no longer keeps running and revolving around them, he is freed from form, freed from feeling, freed from perceptions, freed from volitional formations, freed from consciousness. He is freed from birth, aging, and death; freed from sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair; free from suffering, I say" (S. iii. 150). (trans. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
    edited October 2012
    Jason said:

I see. Well, if you happen to have a hard copy around, maybe you could check his bibliography and see which book he's referencing here as "Horner 1971: 34." It's possible he's referring to Woodward's translation and simply misattributed it to Horner. Or maybe he's using one of Horner's translations from something other than Early Buddhist theory of man perfected or "Attâ and Anattâ." If it's indeed an error, maybe someone should send him an email and let him know.

Edit: I sent him an email notifying him of the possible attribution/citation errors. Will let you know if he responds.

Just for reference, I sent Prof. Harvey an email and he responded. My initial email:
    Dear Prof. Harvey,

While having a discussion on a Buddhist forum, I brought up a passage from your book, The Selfless Mind, specifically p. 22 where you're discussing I.B. Horner's translation of A.I.149 (citing Horner 1971: 34) . In it, you mention a portion of Horner's translation and why you disagree with it, which is, of course, that it implies the existence of an underlying 'Great Self' instead of a more mundane, empirical aspect of mind "acting as conscience." During the discussion, however, someone suggested that what you quote here isn't Horner's translation, at least not the one found in Early Buddhist theory of man perfected or her essay "Atta and Anatta," but perhaps a misattribution of Woodward's PTS translation.

The same person also suggested her essay "Atta and Anatta" was mis-cited, being published in the 1973 winter edition of Studies in Comparative Religion rather than 1971. I'm not sure if this potential mistakes are accurate as I don't have a hard copy with bibliography that I can reference, but I thought I'd at least bring it to your attention in case you weren't aware of this potential discrepancy.

Best regards,

Jason
    And his response (posted with permission):
    Dear Jason,
    thanks for this. You and your discussants were right- the Atta and Anatta article was 1973 (as I discovered by looking at my original PhD notes from ~ 1980!), and the quote is not actually from this, but from Horner's1977 article 'Theravada Buddhism', in The Concise Encyclopedia of Living Faiths, p.289. [He added, "And it is also the same as the Woodward translation."] I will try to get these fixed for future reprints.

Best wishes

Peter Harvey
    So it appears that he's using one of Horner's translations from something other than Early Buddhist theory of man perfected or "Attâ and Anattâ," and that it is the same as Woodward's PTS translation.
  • Jason:
    So it appears that he's using one of Horner's translations from something other than Early Buddhist theory of man perfected or "Attâ and Anattâ," and that it is the same as Woodward's PTS translation.
    Thanks Jason.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Yep, and everything in between, including those who think it's better to set the question itself aside. (I personally tend to lean more towards the latter and take a more pragmatic apporach, e.g., see this, this, this, and this.)
    Yes, good observation, it's something I've been wondering about for a while.
  • From the standpoint of the Buddha's disc more important question is what is the self (attâ/âtman) and what is not the self (anattâ/anâtman).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited October 2012
    This is a fun discovery.

The term Atammayata.

"All Buddhist practitioners, regardless of tradition, are familiar with the three characteristics of existence—anicca, dukkha, anattaμ (impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, selflessness). These are “chapter one, page one” Buddhism. But the Theravadins also talk about another three characteristics of existence, at a more refined level: suññata, tathata, and atammayata. Suññata is emptiness. The term derives from saying “no” to the phenomenal world: “I’m not going to believe in this. This is not entirely real.” Tathataμ means suchness. It is a quality very similar to suññataμ but derives from saying “yes” to the universe. There is nothing, yet there is something. The quality of suchness is like the texture of ultimate reality. Suññata and tathata—emptiness and suchness—the teachings talk in these ways.

This third quality, atammayata, is not well known. In Theravada, atammayata has been referred to as the ultimate concept. It literally means “not made of that.” But atammayata can be rendered in many different ways, giving it a variety of subtle shades of meaning. Bhikkhu Bodhi and Bhikkhu Ñanamoli (in their translation of the Majjhima Nikaya render it as “non- identification”—picking up on the “subject” side of the equation. Other translators call it “nonfashioning” or “unconcoctability,” thus pointing more to the ”object” element of it. Either way, it refers primarily to the quality of awareness prior to or without a subject-object duality.

The ancient Indian origins of this term seem to lie in a theory of sense perception in which the grasping hand supplies the dominant analogy: the hand takes the shape of what it apprehends. The process of vision, for example, is explained as the eye send- ing out some kind of ray, which then takes the shape of what we see and comes back with it. Similarly with thought: mental energy conforms to its object (e.g., a thought) and then returns to the subject. This idea is encapsulated in the term “tan-mayata” “consisting of that.” The mental energy of the experiencer (subject) becomes consubstantial with the thing (object) being realized.

The opposite quality, atammayata, refers to a state in which the mind’s energy does not “go out” to the object and occupy it. It makes neither an objective “thing” nor a subjective “observer” knowing it. Hence, nonidentification refers to the subjective aspect and nonfabrication to the objective. The way emptiness is usually discussed in Dzogchen circles makes it very clear that it is a characteristic of ultimate reality. But in other usages of emptiness or suchness, there still can be a sense of an agent (a subject) which is a this looking at a that, and the that is empty. Or the that is such, thus. Atammayata is the realization that, in truth, there cannot be anything other than ultimate reality. There is no that. In letting go, in the complete abandonment of that, the whole relative subject-object world, even at its subtlest level, is broken apart and dissolved." Small Boat, Great Mountain - Theravadan Reflections On The Natural Great PerfectionBy Amaro Bhikkhu

http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.com/2012/05/appreciation-atammayata.html
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Sadhu!
    Ajahn Amaro for anyone who does not know, is very unusual in that he is a Theravadin monk who is a Dzogchen practitioner.
    He is currently the abbot of Amaravati monastery in England.
    taiyaki
  • I am a Dzogchen practitioner but I study and practice mostly the Theravadin tradition!

England has a lot of really good monks and teachers!
  • Yes were are blessed. And Ajahn Amaro is a joy.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yes the I is ever changing, however its more than that. Apart from the change over time if we took a snapshot of the self at a single moment we can see that it isn't one solid thing that then changes but is a product of multiple factors. All phenomena are the same. So there aren't a bunch of distinct objects changing through time, the phenomenal world is just a mass of roiling, bubbling interaction.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

Sadhu!
    Ajahn Amaro for anyone who does not know, is very unusual in that he is a Theravadin monk who is a Dzogchen practitioner.

Interesting, I didn't know about the Dzogchen bit. I used to "do" Dzogchen, which seems to have many parallels with anapanasati. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

Not really, because when you find the actual and true answer to that question, you get enlightenment. :) Zen Master Dogen said "To study the way is to study the self". Asking this question is a very popular form of practice in Korean Buddhism. It's called "Hwadu" practice. It's quite similar to koan practice. According to the patriarchs and masters, When the real and true answer to this question appears, you see your true nature or Buddha nature or true self or whatever you want to call it, and get enlightenment. :)

According to the book Tracing Back the Radiance: Chinul’s Korean Way of Zen by Robert E. Buswell, “Hwadu, which means “head of speech,” can best be taken metaphorically as the “apex of speech” or the “point beyond which speech exhausts itself.” Buswell goes on to write, “In leading to the very limit of speech, or more accurately thought, the hwadu acts as a purification device which sweeps the mind free of all its conceptualizing activities and leaves it clear, attentive, and calm – the ideal meditative state.” http://sweepingzen.com/hwadu
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Seeker:

Sweeping Zen missed the most important part of the hua-t'ou (K., hwadu) which is from the Blue Cliff Records:
    “The real substance of the Universe, the ‘First Principle,’ that which is behind or beyond the Voice [hua] or expression of ultimate Truth, this ‘Pre-Voice’ [hua-t'ou] is transmitted only from heart [mind] to heart [mind], and no matter how great or holy or advanced in Enlightenment a man may be he cannot transmit it by means of words and phrases. This Pre-Voice is not far away, it is indeed quite close to us, but unless one has had intimate, immediate contact with it—has had audience of it as one who has audience of the Emperor—this very near-at-hand Truth will be as far off and separated from us as by thousands of worlds” (trans. R.D.M. Shaw) (Brackets are mine.)
    In Charles Luk's book, Ch'an and Zen Teachings: First Series, he defines the hua-t'ou as follows:
    "Literally, a word's or thought's head, ante-word, or ante-thought; the mind before it is stirred by a thought. A technique devised by enlightened masters who taught their disciples to concentrate their attention on the mind for the purpose of stopping all thoughts to attain singleness of mind and thereby realize it for the perception of their self-nature" (p. 235).
    The real genius behind koans (sorry for the digression) is this: we really can't answer them without a huge breakthrough in fully comprehending what absolute Mind is. Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't really understand the main goal of Zen Buddhism.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Your life's awareness so far has been dependant on the concept of "you" and the rest of existance. Awareness through meditation is just what's left when that former concept is no longer enabled.
  • Songhill is correct, I think. Actually, going by my recent practice experiences, Songhill is correct about a lot of things. I am not sure whether he knows through practice or study, however.
  • Hi and a very Good Morning to everyone. I am Lester, a non practicing Buddhist and I have not read much about any spiritual notes nor bibles nor attended any Dharma courses.

However, I was doing abit of research and I stumbled on this site and this particular posting caught my eyes and I was reading it over and over again.

I am sure that most of you are aware of how a guitar works. When the strings are too tight, it snaps. When the strings are too loose, the sound coming out of the guitar will not be good. This simple analogy is about balance.

While many people debates on words left behind by the Buddha, do note that it is not the words that one should be reading but the meaning of it rather. Words get interpreted differently to different people, depending on the mind of the person and how the person chooses to understand it.

Nothing is of absolute and yet everything is of extreme. When there is life, there will be death. For where pureness exist, there will be evil. But it does not mean that you have to live in either ends for the truth is that, you need to walk right in the centre of it, to have a balance.

The entire " I " conversation is from a popular quote. I want Joy. I is Ego and Pride, Want it a desire and when you remove ego, pride and desire, you are left with joy. This is a very simple way of explaining the cause of sufferings to people. When the mind chooses to illustrate what the minds wants to see, it becomes reality. But it doesn't mean that it never existed.

The I and getting rid of the I is a teaching that we need to try to be selfless but in today's world, we can only try. For many people, whom have understand the word Emptiness is Form and Form is Emptiness, they can live in a world with no I because they have a greater compassion for the world and people around them. But for many people who just started Buddhism, remember this, words are simply words and your mind chooses to see what the words mean. This is why you guys have a great forum with many people supporting.

And sometimes, what you are looking for, is there, so there isn't a point looking at it. It is like a fish in water, looking for water, when water is surrounding him actually.

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
    Jeffrey
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I found this interesting to read.

The Radiant Citta Is Avijjà
    Normally the citta is radiant and always ready to make contact with everything of every sort. Although all phenomena without exception fall under the laws of the three characteristics dukkha, anicca, and anatta - the true nature of the citta doesn't fall under these laws.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89083185/11/The-Radiant-Citta-Is-Avijja
    Jeffrey