Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pious fraud

Or noble lie. Is it possible?

Many intellectuals believe that Jesus, Buddha, and the like were only concerned with making people do good deeds, to create an equal and just society - in short, they were just secular humanists who cared about human welfare in the here and now. If at all they spoke of the afterlife or god or whatever, it was only because they had to speak the language of the masses, use religous metaphors because religion at that time pervaded every facet of life. Since religion was a dominant force, they had to express even secular ideas in such terms, if only to appeal to people. Pious fraud, if you will.

What do you think of this position? Buddha only cared about human welfare but ancient Indians were obsessed with liberation. So Buddha cleverly turned them into humanists by keeping 'liberation' as a carrot in front of their noses. Or something like that. The same goes for Jesus and the other blokes. Would this have been possible - that they were secular humanists disguising themselves as religious folks in order to do good?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Papanca.
    Buddhadharma is only realised experientially.
    Everyone has ( and should have ) lots of questions to start with. But eventually we have to take a position and act.
    FullCircle
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

Many intellectuals believe that Jesus, Buddha, and the like were only concerned with making people do good deeds, to create an equal and just society - in short, they were just secular humanists who cared about human welfare in the here and now. If at all they spoke of the afterlife or god or whatever, it was only because they had to speak the language of the masses, use religous metaphors because religion at that time pervaded every facet of life. Since religion was a dominant force, they had to express even secular ideas in such terms, if only to appeal to people. Pious fraud, if you will.

What do you think of this position? Buddha only cared about human welfare but ancient Indians were obsessed with liberation. So Buddha cleverly turned them into humanists by keeping 'liberation' as a carrot in front of their noses. Or something like that. The same goes for Jesus and the other blokes. Would this have been possible - that they were secular humanists disguising themselves as religious folks in order to do good?

Anything is possible! So to begin with, I'd look at what each man encouraged others to do--especially look at instructions which come up most often. For the Buddha, the instruction to examine the teachings and examine the teacher are mentioned far too often for me to believe he was engaging in pious fraud. Frauds don't generally encourage investigation.

It's a little harder with Jesus because we don't have as clear a view of him and his teachings, in my opinion. The words attributed to him have not received the same exacting curation as far as we can tell; translations were looser, editing more haphazard, new material (and much material) definitively suppressed--all this not just by monastics or church scholars, but secular rulers as well who swooped in and had their say. Much of this wheeling and dealing is a matter of more careful record than the canon itself.

Even on the Buddhist canon, whose transmission appears--whatever texts we personally accept--to have been overall a more ordered and less-contentious process, there is strong disagreement on various texts' validity. How much more shaky, then, our knowledge of the early Christian teachings.

In general, the open-minded Christian examines the New Testament and sees the message of love shining through--that's a great thing. But I don't think we have enough to go on to guess at all of Jesus' motives. There is a strong case to be made for his working towards a secular throne; but that doesn't mean he wasn't striving for the throne out of desire to use it to spread the love message. I think we just can't tell from Christian scriptures, at least not until we are finally allowed to study and publish them rigorously, and free from interference by powerful religious institutions.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

I don't like to say yes, but yes.
    In Mahayana buddhism there's a concept called Upaya: "that even if a technique, view, etc., is not ultimately "true" in the highest sense, it may still be an expedient practice to perform or view to hold; i.e., it may bring the practitioner closer to true realization anyway."

You can have a read more about Upaya here at good old wikipedia.
    In that wiki article is the Parable of the Burning House, where the Buddha says it's ok to lie for some reasons.

But Grrr, I don't like it. So I guess it is lucky then that I don't follow the Lotus Sutra!
  • But that is not the purport of the OP.
    He is not asking if " a noble lie " may at times be upaya.
    He is asking if the whole of Buddhadharma is predicated on a " noble lie " and further he is asking if the Buddha was actually a secular humanist.
    RebeccaS
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The question is not so much whether spiritual life is a lie or a fraud or a deception, all of which carry with them a righteous sense of no-no. For my money, of course spiritual (or intellectual or emotional) life is a lie. It's no biggie.

The question that strikes me as making some sense is, precisely what is spiritual (or intellectual or emotional) life lying ABOUT.
  • Music:

The transmutation of Buddhism into something resembling 'humanism" or G.J. Holyoake's "secularism" doesn't at all teach us anything about what Gautama actually taught or what Buddhism really is — it may even be a kind of fraud.

I think it is important to understand Buddhism by what Buddhism is not. It is not secularism, materialism, phenomenalism, rationalism, nor does it champion the physical sciences.

The stars of pop Buddhism are not really interested in Buddhism for its own sake. For them it is a kind of intellectual smorgasbord: take what you like from the Buddhist canon (one or two Suttas or Sutras) and forget the rest.
    seeker242
  • Songhill,

I am not talking about modern secularists interpreting Buddhism according to their preferences. Was the Buddha himself a humanist ... and 'Buddhism' just humanism in disguise? All this metaphysical stuff could have been added by Buddha to appeal to masses who are generally religious.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    music said:

All this metaphysical stuff could have been added by Buddha to appeal to masses who are generally religious.

It's possible, but IMO it seems unlikely that a teacher of the Buddha's stature would have made up a load of stuff just to get a wider audience. Particularly in view of his emphasis on Right Speech.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

In that wiki article is the Parable of the Burning House, where the Buddha says it's ok to lie for some reasons.

I'm not clear how unskillful behaviour would have a skillful outcome.
    ;)
    RebeccaS
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    genkaku said:

The question is not so much whether

spiritual life is a lie or a fraud or a deception, all of which carry with them a righteous sense of no-no. For my money, of course spiritual (or intellectual or emotional) life is a lie. It's no biggie.
    The question that strikes me as making some sense is, precisely what is spiritual (or intellectual or emotional) life lying ABOUT.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about..this is no doubt to my loss.

• Music:
    I am not talking about modern secularists interpreting Buddhism according to their preferences. Was the Buddha himself a humanist ... and 'Buddhism' just humanism in disguise? All this metaphysical stuff could have been added by Buddha to appeal to masses who are generally religious.
    You seem to be raising questions that a modern secularist or humanist might raise. There is no evidence in the canon that the Buddha was a humanist, thus a pious fraud — or didn't fully endorse karma and rebirth. Of course, you are free to believe what you wish about the Buddha, right or wrong.

Cheers
  • We cannot force you what to believe (although when I restart the 4th reich you be on my little book for re-education... bwah ha ha ha). But the Buddha WAS NOT VAGUE or left his teachings to interpretation. He clearly instructed us with methods and views that we should follow so we can purify our karma and eventually LET GO of our attachments and conceptions and be in accordance with true emptiness that allows existance.

There are many sutras, commentaries, explanations letting us know what the Buddha taught. And there are many GREAT Masters in the past and in the present day that continously and tireless trying to teach us and help to know what to do.

However, it's all up to you to believe. If your new and is abit skeptical, thats okay, you still have a good chance to be open minded and learn. But if your a grumpy old bugger that thinks your the smartest ZEN master out there. They people can only feel sad for you.
    Citta said:

genkaku said:

spiritual life is a lie or a fraud or a deception, all of which carry with them a righteous sense of no-no. For my money, of course spiritual (or intellectual or emotional) life is a lie. It's no biggie.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about..this is no doubt to my loss.

@citta -- Sorry about that and I don't want to belabor the point, but what I intended to say was only that words (such as those employed in spiritual reading, thinking, training, etc.) are by definition at one remove from the topic at hand. A "Chevrolet" is not a Chevrolet and "compassion" is not compassion, etc. etc. And to the extent that words create a distance or space between, they are, so to speak, lies. This is not to say they can't nudge or cajole or point: It is just to say that they do not accurately convey what they claim to convey ... i.e. experience.

As I say, this is no biggie. It's just par for the verbal or intellectual or emotional course. Lies can have their uses and my question was, about what truth is spiritual encouragement lying?
  • If you think he was lying then why bother with Buddhism?
    RebeccaS said:

If you think he was lying then why bother with Buddhism?

@ RebeccaS -- Because among the tales being told, it's the tale I found most credible. "Credible" does not mean true. It just means what I believe prior to actually finding out.

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    genkaku said:

RebeccaS said:

If you think he was lying then why bother with Buddhism?

@ RebeccaS -- Because among the tales being told, it's the tale I found most credible. "Credible" does not mean true. It just means what I believe prior to actually finding out.

I actually meant the OP. What you said makes sense - things will get lost in translation when attempting to describe the indescribable and I guess you could nit pick and call it a lie and you wouldn't be wrong, exactly. But the word lie indicates an attempt to deceive, which I don't think is correct in the case of trying to describe the indescribable.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I very much doubt the Buddha was out there just making stuff up just so he could get more people to follow him or listen to him. The Buddha flat out rejected ALL of the prevailing philosophical traditions of the time, right from the beginning. That is not a very good way to make friends. :lol:
    Jeffrey
  • seeker242 said:

I very much doubt the Buddha was out there just making stuff up just so he could get more people to follow him or listen to him. The Buddha flat out rejected ALL of the prevailing philosophical traditions of the time, right from the beginning. That is not a very good way to make friends. :lol:

The Buddha was actually very tolerant of other religions, but at the same time he is very clear of what the RIGHT views are. Buddhism incoporated alot of practices (but not wrong philsophy) of other practices at the time. The Buddha taught according to the conditions and inclination of the audience. So what he teaches to kings would be different to what he teaches to soldiers, would be different to what he teaches to farmers and artists. But at the same time, the teachings are directing them toward the same path.

So thats why everyone respect the WOrld Honoured so much and was touched in their heart to follow his teachings.

But we are more arrogant, deluded and narrowed in modern western culture to accept his teachings.
    Patr
    Seeker 242 said:
    I very much doubt the Buddha was out there just making stuff up just so he could get more people to follow him or listen to him.
    I agree. But however earnestly he believed what he was saying and however much experience he himself had, still there was no way to transmit that experience in words. He simply made the best of a bad bargain -- using words as artfully and exactly as he could to suggest a nourishing path for others.
    Wishing to entice the blind
    The Buddha has playfully let words
    Escape his golden mouth.
    Heaven and earth have ever since
    Been filled with entangling briars. [Emphasis added]
    -- On Zen by Dai O Kokushi
    person
  • SileSile Veteran
    music said:

Songhill,

But "all this metaphysical stuff" is the core of the teachings on reality.

And what's "metaphysical" about suggesting that individual perspective is as much a part of "experience" as the matter being experienced?

The humanists and scientists of the 1600s would have (no doubt cheerfully and not particularly anxiously) labeled as metaphysical the suggestion that matter is composed of atoms, instead of the classically-accepted components fire, air, earth and water.

Imho it is either becoming increasingly difficult to accuse the Buddha of a fondness for metaphysics, or increasingly difficult to refrain from accusing modern science of the same.
  • edited October 2012
    Sile, I meant concepts like rebirth, karma etc. Since these concepts were popular at that time, maybe the Buddha incorporated them into his teaching.
  • rebirth and karma are not flexible popular concept, but some of the fundemental doctrines of Buddhism to help practitioners.
    Patr
  • It seems highly unlikely to me that Buddha was a 'fraud' in any sense of the word.
    lobsterRebeccaSseeker242
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    genkaku said:

Citta said:

genkaku said:

@citta -- Sorry about that and I don't want to belabor the point, but what I intended to say was only that words (such as those employed in spiritual reading, thinking, training, etc.) are by definition at one remove from the topic at hand. A "Chevrolet" is not a Chevrolet and "compassion" is not compassion, etc. etc. And to the extent that words create a distance or space between, they are, so to speak, lies. This is not to say they can't nudge or cajole or point: It is just to say that they do not accurately convey what they claim to convey ... i.e. experience.

As I say, this is no biggie. It's just par for the verbal or intellectual or emotional course. Lies can have their uses and my question was, about what truth is spiritual encouragement lying?
    I am somewhat encouraged by other responses. So its not just me that finds your responses utterly incomprehensible genkaku.
    I simply have no idea at all what point you are trying to make. I am reasonably intelligent. English is my first language, and I can't make head or tail of what you are saying.
    Either I am less intelligent than I thought...quite possible. Or you have fallen into the trap of using a form of jargon which you think is readily understandable, but in fact is not.
    I get the feeling that you have said the same thing many many times and have lost your way in responding to others who are not Zen followers.
    Or of course your response might simply be too profound for the likes of me.

Patr
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    genkaku said:

about what truth is spiritual encouragement lying?

Exactly...it's rather like asking whether it's possible Einstein was engaged in scientific fraud. Since his theories have proven out or are at least widely accepted (i.e. seem to be scientific truth), the theories themselves don't seem to be fraudulent.

That leaves the question of whether Einstein disbelieved his own theories, but published them anyway for the sake of humanity.

As long as the theories prove useful, and humanity benefits, it's hard to see fraud in either man's actions. So we're asking if the Buddha told "loving lies" to benefit people. If many of the instructions he gave seem to work as he said they would, I'm not sure he could technically be counted as a fraud even if he disbelieved every word he was saying.
  • Music:
    Sile, I meant concepts like rebirth, karma etc. Since these concepts were popular at that time, maybe the Buddha incorporated them into his teaching.
    The Buddha treated rebirth and karma as fact, like the fact that there are no clouds in the sky over Atlanta, or one day we all be dead. The Buddha's world was a world based on consciousness or mind realism — not physicalism with its theory that mind is an epiphenomenon of the brain. According to the Buddha, consciousness is the rebirth transmigrant and the bearer of karma.
    RebeccaSSile
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think the OP question would be valid if the teachings and the implementation of the stopped at the Buddha. In many aspects the Buddha's teachings are meant to be taken as an hypothesis that each individual is meant to test out and experience for themselves. Many people have done exactly that over the years and as far as I know most if not all agreed with Buddha Shakyamuni to one degree or another.
  • music said:

music, what all are you familiar with as far as scripture goes?
  • Familiar? It does not seem likely.
  • Oh dear. I'd like to apologise for my previous comment. Well out of order.