Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why I created ? Somebody Please Help Me to Explain It.

Why I created? I really hope I never created before so I didn't have to live this life game. I know nirvana is the way to stop this life game. But, i didn't even want to created. Can Buddhism explain why humans created? For what we were created?

Comments

• Firstly the word "create" is loaded because it suggests a creator or God-like entity. Your human life is a manifestation of the one consciousness. You are created to bring consciousness into this world. Samsara is the endless cycle of life, death and rebirth which we are all trapped in until we become awakened and realise our true nature.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    poptart said:

Your human life is a manifestation of the one consciousness. You are created to bring consciousness into this world.

If you are looking for a Buddhist answer, then please ignore poptart's quote. That is in no way Buddhism.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    yamada said:

Why I created? I really hope I never created before so I didn't have to live this life game. I know nirvana is the way to stop this life game. But, i didn't even want to created. Can Buddhism explain why humans created? For what we were created?

Buddhism really doesn't address the why part. It generally only addresses the "Ok, what can you do about it now" part.
    personOneLifeForm
  • poptart said:

Your human life is a manifestation of the one consciousness. You are created to bring consciousness into this world.

If you are looking for a Buddhist answer, then please ignore poptart's quote. That is in no way Buddhism.
    So what is?

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    To ask "why" is to seek out a "because," which then engenders another "why," which then engenders another "because" etc. etc. This is ego-tripping of the sort that Buddhism seeks to cut through. Explanations and meanings only reach so far. They are popular, but limited. If meaning and explanation is what you seek, then go with "God." Otherwise, get to work.
  • @seeker242 :
    why buddhism doesn't address the why part? i think i must kill my curiosity before to believe in one thing. I enjoying what Buddha teaches to us but until now i still didn't get the answer about cause of the emergence of life in Buddhism perspective.

But, I also didn't believe in God. I just thought maybe there is a reason why humans exist today? Because if there isn't a reason, for what we are exist today?

• We are the symbol of karma in progress. Being human is great starting point. We can do many things from here as long as we know what we must do. As humans we must learn and find true happiness for ourselves. We don't really need to know why, we just need to feel lucky to be human. Whoever we are, there are duties to carry out within being who we are. Knowing who we are and carrying out our duties is where we can find happiness. Once we find happiness we can share it and help others to be happy, then the world is better place.
    yamadasova
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The basic nature of the mind is neither created nor destroyed, it doesn't have a beginning. Our current state of circumstances is due to whatever past karma we have created plus, imo, the decisions we make to create our environment.

So your life as you know it is created by your past thoughts and actions. I don't think there is a purpose for it in Buddhist thought but there is a solution, a cure for it.
    Niwalen
  • @person : So, in buddhism our life is like a circle not a line?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    yamada said:

@person : So, in buddhism our life is like a circle not a line?

Kind of, that's probably a good way to look at it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    yamada said:

We were created by the force of our contaminated actions, Actions contaminated with Ignorance, Ignorance of Self-grasping that keeps us experiencing Samsara over and over again.

Nirvana is the ceasing of Self grasping Ignorance and it cuts the very root of our suffering and experience of Samsaric death and rebirth.
    taiyakisovakrut
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Finding the "why" is a fun game but there doesn't even have to be one so it's best left as a fun thing to contemplate.

Everybody is looking everywhere for purpose but that is truely where the creation aspect comes in handy, no?

Purpose comes from within and is not something that is found but rather made.

Just my honest opinion.
  • There is a lot of fear in "what was I meant to do?" I think that question put's us into feeling a small self.

We don't have to find what what we are meant to do. We just need to do. Our interaction with the world will always produce a workable situation like manure that is recovered to promote growth. Open to possiblities and your mind will find its path. Let go of good and bad and turn towards whatever IS here.
    taiyakiperson
  • Go read the Samyutta Nikaya, SN12 and 15.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/index.html#nidana

Supposedly words from the Buddha.

Three steps to this;
    1. One has to understand the 'English'
    2. Then one has to understand the meaning of the written sentences
    3. Most importantly, one has to really realise the meanings, no mean feat this.

Good luck
  • poptart said:

Are you a leading authority? And in what way is that not a buddhist statement? Kind of rude if you aske me.
    poptartcarolann
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Every human is created the same way. When a mommy loves a daddy ... :)

But that's really 'how', not 'why'.

The truth is no-one knows why. Why does the universe exist? It just does.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    buddhakai said:

Are you a leading authority? And in what way is that not a buddhist statement? Kind of rude if you aske me.

How about you or poptart find a reference, any reference, in suttas or sutras, about human life being a "manifestation of the one consciousness." and that we "are created to bring consciousness into this world."
    I bet you can't find one. If you can, I'll either eat my hat or I'll just apologise.
  • buddhakai said:

How about you or poptart find a reference, any reference, in suttas or sutras, about human life being a "manifestation of the one consciousness." and that we "are created to bring consciousness into this world."
    I bet you can't find one. If you can, I'll either eat my hat or I'll just apologise.
    Buddhism is not about parroting doctrine, but about learning to trust your own experience. If you don't know that then you don't know the first thing about Buddhism.
    Niwalen
  • I rather think we are not created. We create.
    Niwalensova
    poptart said:

Firstly the word "create" is loaded because it suggests a creator or God-like entity. Your human life is a manifestation of the one consciousness. You are created to bring consciousness into this world. Samsara is the endless cycle of life, death and rebirth which we are all trapped in until we become awakened and realise our true nature.

From what source does this come ? Where does Buddha talk of beings as a manifestation of one consciousness in Sutra or Tantra.
  • yamada said:

Why I created?

I really hope I never created before so I didn't have to live this life game. I know nirvana is the way to stop this life game.

But, i didn't even want to created. Can Buddhism explain why humans created? For what we were created?

You are made of the stuff of the universe - you are sufficiently qualified to answer that question for yourself.

Why would you hope you were never created before? Are there aspects of this manifestation that you find so undesirable that you would not wish it repeated or perhaps never to have taken place at all?

The fact that you have no memory of seeking creation may lead you to gratitude - gratitude for this chance to experience what you didn't seek - to see the universe from this particular angle in this particular time.
    sova
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited November 2012
    why i created - a better question will be - why was i born - and the answer can be - to understand what is i and samsara and nirvana - to understand how this paradox of Samsara works and - to practice a way to end this paradox of Samsara, once and forever, for oneself.
    Jeffreysova
  • caz said:

poptart said:

Firstly the word "create" is loaded because it suggests a creator or God-like entity. Your human life is a manifestation of the one consciousness. You are created to bring consciousness into this world. Samsara is the endless cycle of life, death and rebirth which we are all trapped in until we become awakened and realise our true nature.

From what source does this come ? Where does Buddha talk of beings as a manifestation of one consciousness in Sutra or Tantra.
    The only source any of us has is our own buddha nature. Are you suggesting nothing can be asserted on this forum unless it comes from writings about Siddhartha Gautama? Are you suggesting his was the only insight and wisdom? Do you think you are not able to have your own insights about the nature of reality?

The Buddha was reluctant to have his teachings written down for this very reason. He knew that dogmatic people would grasp onto them and use them instead of using their own experience. I asserted my own belief and you can accept it or not, that is up to you. But I do not accept it is invalid because it isn't quoted from some ancient text.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @poptart

I've had the realization and experience of Oneness or the sense of one consciousness experiencing the world as one consciousness.

It is a perception attainment in Buddhism. This means that it is a good way to look at the world as it cultivates the positive in ones life, but ultimately speaking it is still ignorance and still conditions the individual mindstream into dualism thus suffering.

Buddhism deals primarily with the ending of suffering, thus to put bluntly oneness isn't buddhism.

The equality of oneness found in buddhism some times is the submerging of everything as luminous clarity of beingness. But this is a mistaken view/perception. The true equality lies in the ungraspablity and unborn quality of everything.

Your line of thinking and experience and possibly realization may line up with Advaita Vedanta.

So one must respect Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism. Though they may seem similar they are not.

I can tell you this from personal experience, but take it for what its worth.
    lobster
  • yamada said:

Yes, Buddhism has an answer. The answer is this: "Who is asking the question?"

You say that's not much of an answer? But you have lots of answers already at your fingertips. Every religion has an answer to why you're here. I'm sure you've heard other answrs. If those didn't satisfy you, what makes you think what we say will make a difference?

You're asking the wrong question, that's all. What you need to ask is, "What am I? What is being reincarnated?" and once you understand that, then "Why?" will answer itself. Until you know what you are, no answer to why you're here will satisfy.

To get you started, let's take two possible truths. Let's say "you" came into being when you were born in this life and grew to consciousness. You don't remember anything before that because "you" didn't exist. Now, let's say "you" are reincarnated in some way. You obviously have a new body, and have to learn everything all over again, and at the most you have an occasional scattered memory of something in the past that doesn't really mean anything to you.

Now, what's the difference?

In Zen, we ask "What was your face before you were born?" and we're asking the same thing.

So who is asking the quesion?

sova
    poptart said:

Buddhism is not about parroting doctrine, but about learning to trust your own experience.

Yes, I totally agree. Unless it goes too far, and instead of being Buddhist, we start being JamiesTheGiant-ist, or Poptart-ist. Or an Advaita Vedantist. And that's fine too, it's just not Buddhism any more.

That's why the Buddha gave us the suttas/sutras... to guide us on the path.
    He gave the simile of walking on a path through a dense jungle... as long as we are on the path we are fine, but if we step off the path and wander around in the jungle, not only do we risk getting lost and wasting precious time, we also run the risk of not being able to find the path again, and being killed by something in the dark.
    The suttas are the map to the path.

Buddhist - one who follows the teachings of Buddha.
    Sorry @Yamada, this got way off topic. Apologies!
    edited November 2012
    poptart said:

caz said:

poptart said:

The only source any of us has is our own buddha nature. Are you suggesting nothing can be asserted on this forum unless it comes from writings about Siddhartha Gautama? Are you suggesting his was the only insight and wisdom? Do you think you are not able to have your own insights about the nature of reality?

The Buddha was reluctant to have his teachings written down for this very reason. He knew that dogmatic people would grasp onto them and use them instead of using their own experience. I asserted my own belief and you can accept it or not, that is up to you. But I do not accept it is invalid because it isn't quoted from some ancient text.
    The reason why sources are needed is because we need to test the source and see if it reliable,authentic and accomplished by practitioners.

I'm telling you as a Buddhist that Buddha's teachings of Sutra and Tantra are guidance for Buddhists from a person of Genuine insight and accomplishment of what is actual.

The sources of accomplished Masters who hold the traditions of knowledge and insightful wisdom are always in line with what the Buddha taught. Your point of view is not one of Buddha's nor would I attribute it to any genuine Buddhist teacher it sounds more like the insight of someone who is in to Advaita Vedanta, Arising from one consciousness in order to bring consciousness into the world is not something that is found within Buddha's teachings or Buddhism, Nor does it sound like anything to do with Buddha Nature.

Your entitled to your opinion but do not pass it off as being of Buddhist Origin this is deceptive.
    BhanteLucky
  • It seems to me that Advaitans have the same approach to knowledge as Buddhists, and they appear to end up with the same truth, and to preach the same message. Or have I missed some essential difference? I see only differences of method, language, culture and emphasis. If we start saying that the practice of Buddhism and Advaita bring us to different truths then we are going to provide fuel for sceptics everywhere.

Re the OPs question, is the general opinion here that the Buddha did not know the answer to it?

Jeffrey
  • Advaitins believe in a self, while Buddhists don't. Advaita is nondualism, whereas Buddhism is sunyavata (doctrine of emptiness).
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

He gave the simile of walking on a path through a dense jungle... as long as we are on the path we are fine, but if we step off the path and wander around in the jungle, not only do we risk getting lost and wasting precious time, we also run the risk of not being able to find the path again, and being killed by something in the dark.

Or by going off the path we run the risk of...oops...discovering new worlds.

• I think this is a good explanation about why Buddhism doesn't answer the existential questions:

http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/teaching-of-poisoned-arrow.html
  • We cannot say someone is wrong because they are an advaita vedantist. We have to listen to what they say and see if what they say is making sense or not. Thus you argue an issue based on reason and sharing rather than based on slapping a label on something. There are a lot of streams of Buddhism that are pretty much identical to advaita vedanta. But it doesn't logically follow that those streams are wrong. A question needs to be resolved by sharing and reason rather than just slapping a label on it. "that's hinduism" for example.
    sova
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    music said:

Advaitins believe in a self, while Buddhists don't. Advaita is nondualism, whereas Buddhism is sunyavata (doctrine of emptiness).

Buddha never said there was no self. He said that the conditional skhandas were not the self.

Dhammapada Chapter 12, Self

Verse 160. One Is One’s Best Saviour

Oneself is refuge of oneself,
    who else indeed could refuge be?
    By good training of oneself
    one gains a refuge hard to gain.

Verse 161. The Unwise Person Comes To Grief On His Own

By oneself is evil done,
    it’s born of self and self-produced.
    Evil grinds the unwise one
    as diamond does the hardest gem.

Verse 165. Purity, Impurity Self-Created

By oneself is evil done,
    by oneself defiled,
    by oneself it’s left undone,
    by self alone one purified.
    Purity, impurity on oneself depend,
    no one can purify another.

http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_self.htm
    David
  • Never wanted to be created eh?
    Well you have been. Better get used to that. Not happy? Ah well you could try Buddhism . . .
    In Buddhism, the well known system of arguing :)
    and the even better known system of creating harmony, we attempt to create conditions of generating a better creation or life
    for ourselves and ultimately those around us.
    That me be a good use of our creation? :clap:
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited November 2012
    my thinking says - reasoning and thinking will never be able to know the answers to questions of ultimate reality - like - who am i, why was i born, what happens after death, how does the karmic effects gets carry-forward, how consciousness arises in the matter of a human baby giving life to it.

the only way to know these things, if there is any such way, i think it shall be only by going inside in our inner world in meditation. everything else, which we think about by analysis and reasoning through our brain, would be - i think only guess-work based on our belief and our thoughts of our memory, leading to another thought in our mind, which again we may believe to be answer to the above queries - but shall not be the actual answers to the above queries.

Again, the above are also my thoughts - so do not know whether it is correct or false.
  • Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed. Just manifestations arising and falling away.
    Jeffrey
  • It seems that there is no meaning to life since everything is impermanent and empty of inherent self. That is just the true nature of existence. That does not mean we should disregard our actions since it is our actions that will determine how its meaning is perceived by us.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @driedleaf Yes nothing is "inherent", meaning is created in each moment, so live mindfully!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

We cannot say someone is wrong because they are an advaita vedantist. We have to listen to what they say and see if what they say is making sense or not.

I think you're right, it's important to keep an open mind.
  • When as a stubburn little boy I got mad at the world and told my mother, "I didn't ask to be born, you know!"

She replied, "Yes you did. It was one o'clock in the morning. You woke me up, demanding to be born, and wouldn't take no for an answer."
    seeker242RebeccaSsovaJeffrey
    Florian said:

It seems to me that Advaitans have the same approach to knowledge as Buddhists, and they appear to end up with the same truth, and to preach the same message. Or have I missed some essential difference? I see only differences of method, language, culture and emphasis. If we start saying that the practice of Buddhism and Advaita bring us to different truths then we are going to provide fuel for sceptics everywhere.

Re the OPs question, is the general opinion here that the Buddha did not know the answer to it?

They have a totally different approach to Buddhism and they certainly do not end up with the same results. Theirs is a Union with God which according to the Buddhist stand point would result in rebirth in a form of formless God realm. Buddha's teachings surpass Samsara and becoming within Samsara, The Nivarna mentioned by The Advaitins is wholly different from the Buddhist one.
    edited November 2012
    Jeffrey said:

music said:

Advaitins believe in a self, while Buddhists don't. Advaita is nondualism, whereas Buddhism is sunyavata (doctrine of emptiness).

Buddha never said there was no self. He said that the conditional skhandas were not the self.

Dhammapada Chapter 12, Self

Verse 160. One Is One’s Best Saviour

Oneself is refuge of oneself,
    who else indeed could refuge be?
    By good training of oneself
    one gains a refuge hard to gain.

Verse 161. The Unwise Person Comes To Grief On His Own

By oneself is evil done,
    it’s born of self and self-produced.
    Evil grinds the unwise one
    as diamond does the hardest gem.

Verse 165. Purity, Impurity Self-Created

By oneself is evil done,
    by oneself defiled,
    by oneself it’s left undone,
    by self alone one purified.
    Purity, impurity on oneself depend,
    no one can purify another.

http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_self.htm
    And if you look amongst the aggregates for an Inherently existent self there is none to be found it is but a fabrication of Self-grasping Ignorance. Where else would our imagine self exist if not amongst the Aggregates of Body and mind ? Certainly When the 4 reasonings are applied No Self can be found other than the strong Imprint of the Ignorance of Self grasping which is our object of negation.
  • Daozen said:

Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed. Just manifestations arising and falling away.

@caz, what Daozen said.

• buddhakai said:

Buddhism as far as I understand it does not indeed make any claims as to why we were created, however, if you ask a buddhist monk why they have reincarnated instead of dissolve into the unborn purity, I guarantee the answer will be similar to spread, or "bring conciousness into the world." (which was the original statement) I was only asking if you were a leading authority because you speak as such, and condemn the ideas of others. And actually, I'm pretty sure that in Sogyal Rinpoche's tibetan book of living and dying, he refers to a collective consciousness, I'll have to check that because I am always reading, it could have been a different book.

• Buddhist - one who follows the teachings of Buddha.

Buddha =awakened one

• Why not?
  • yamada said:

Why I created?

Someone who believes in a Creator God may look at humanity and say "Wow, look at the complexity of human beings; there is a God", but I think it's a bit like saying "Wow, look at the water in this puddle, the water fits the puddle exactly; there is a God".

We're here because we're here! Now what are we going to do about it?

I think the Arrow Sutra (is that right?), the one where the Buddha tells the story about a monk getting shot with an arrow and who will not accept medical help until he knows who fired the arrow, what his family are like, who made the arrow, etc, explains it very well.

I also think Buddhism teaches such questions are unanswerable.