Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sitting cushion

LostSoulLostSoul Veteran
edited September 2011 in Meditation
Hi.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good, comfortable, sitting cushion that is relatively affordable? I realize things cost money, but after looking around at $50 cushions I was a little intimidated. But if this is the price of a good seat so be it.

I'm just not meditating at all really, I can't find the time/motivation. I'll try doing so more starting tomorrow morning, but I think it would really help if I had a dedicated sitting place.

I believe these cushions are called "sangha pillows" or something like that by some.

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i think "zafu" is the most common term

this is the one i bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/YogaAccessories-Crescent-Meditation-Cushion-Buckwheat/dp/B000MRD508/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1315126867&sr=8-36

it was the cheapest i could find but i have been extremely happy with it. it's amazing how much more comfortable i find sitting while using my zafu and i find that i can sit for much longer. it immediately straightens my spine. a few people commented on the odor though, to me, it just smells like they perhaps smoked the buckwheat hulls to dry them. it does not bother me. but honestly, if you find it that terrible, i'm sure you could refill the cushion with another filler for quite cheap. i looked into just buying an empty case as well, but i wasn't able to find anything much cheaper, as i recall.

the cheapest alternative is of course to make it, if you happen to be a crafty person.
    here's a link to some instructions on how to make one:
    http://www.michiganbuddhist.com/zafu/

• I tend to use the L-shaped pillow I had for supporting my 'bump' in bed during pregnancy. Here's a picture of one:

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Multi-Purpose-Support-Pillow/dp/B001NZLGJA?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_7&nodeId=42764041&sr=1-7&qid=1315128807&pf_rd_r=0496W1P0C12835VQXJEH&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=231490887&pf_rd_s=center-7

Not the cheapest pillow in the world, but comfy and great for napping too. :)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Blue Banyan seems to have good quality cushions for around $20-$30:

http://www.bluebanyan.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=116
  • LostSoulLostSoul Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @zombiegirl thank you for the link... I was about to buy one, but one of the reviews said something about beetles hatching from the buckwheat in the pillow! I'm not sure if I want to buy something that creates any more bugs in the house I hate them as it is :)

@sattvapaul those look pretty nice

I'm highly considering making my own. I love the thought of making my own "zafu" and using it for meditation for years. I'll check that article out when I'm not so busy, and maybe take a shot at it. I'm not the most creative person, but I'm sure its not terribly difficult.

EDIT: Hmm not sure why that review was talking about the buckwheat making beetles, looks like most pillows use that for a material. Does anybody know anything about this? I really don't want my pillow attracting any bugs, there's enough bugs in the house already from where we're at.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @zombiegirl thank you for the link... I was about to buy one, but one of the reviews said something about beetles hatching from the buckwheat in the pillow! I'm not sure if I want to buy something that creates any more bugs in the house I hate them as it is :)

@sattvapaul those look pretty nice

I'm highly considering making my own. I love the thought of making my own "zafu" and using it for meditation for years. I'll check that article out when I'm not so busy, and maybe take a shot at it. I'm not the most creative person, but I'm sure its not terribly difficult.

EDIT: Hmm not sure why that review was talking about the buckwheat making beetles, looks like most pillows use that for a material. Does anybody know anything about this? I really don't want my pillow attracting any bugs, there's enough bugs in the house already from where we're at.
    i saw that thing about the bugs and honestly, i have no idea. all i can say is that mine definitely didn't have that issue. another comment said that beetles cannot live off of buckwheat, so perhaps it was just a fluke? i mean, i've seen worms in apples before, yet i still eat apples... :)
  • I've had a buckwheat zafu for almost 7 years, and I haven't seen a bug yet.
  • You haven't seen a bug? Where do you live, the moon?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Does anybody have any recommendations for a good, comfortable, sitting cushion that is relatively affordable?

And don't razz yourself too much. Find a corner or a bit of wall; keep the area neat and clean. And as to a sitting schedule consider: This evening, before you go to sleep, try to look into tomorrow's schedule. When do you have 10-20 minutes that might be free? Choose that time slot and make a promise to sit during that time frame. Make a promise, keep a promise -- that's Buddhist practice. And if by chance something comes up (the toilet breaks, the roof falls in. etc.) and you cannot sit, don't wuss out and say something like, "I couldn't sit because of the toilet or the roof." Say rather, "I choose NOT to sit." No excuses, no side-stepping. Make a promise keep a promise ... and if you can't keep a promise, then don't-keep your promise ... in that way, your promise is fulfilled.

Tomorrow night, look forward to the following day ... when might 15 or 20 minutes be available? Make a promise ... etc. And if once a day is too much, try once every other day or once a week. Just make a promise and keep a promise.

Best wishes.

• You haven't seen a bug? Where do you live, the moon?
    Not on or near my zafu...
  • While I'm sure the zafus are well made and comfortable let's be honest, you're going to be paying a premium simply because it's marketed as a zafu. I mean I hate to say it, but folks have turned Buddhism into an industry. You might consider looking around for suitable cushions/pillows/whatnot that aren't being marketed towards Buddhists. Might save some money simply because no one's calling it a "zafu".

For me personally I just use a pillow from my sofa.
    lobster
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I like my buckwheat filled Halfmoon zafu. When I asked the retailer about getting the makings for making my own zafu, they told me to be sure to get "cleaned" buckwheat, as opposed to the kind that is used for animal feed. The latter is prone to having bugs.
  • I use an old Boppy http://shopboppy.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 with a small, square throw pillow stuffed in the center. Works for me. Lately, I've been thinking about making something with a water and dirt resistant bottom for outdoor uses, though. (Guess I could just stick both pillows in a garbage bag. That's easy and cheap enough.)
  • Thanks for the input guys.

LOL. I just don't want bugs on my pillow is all...
    Does anybody have any recommendations for a good, comfortable, sitting cushion that is relatively affordable?

And don't razz yourself too much. Find a corner or a bit of wall; keep the area neat and clean. And as to a sitting schedule consider: This evening, before you go to sleep, try to look into tomorrow's schedule. When do you have 10-20 minutes that might be free? Choose that time slot and make a promise to sit during that time frame. Make a promise, keep a promise -- that's Buddhist practice. And if by chance something comes up (the toilet breaks, the roof falls in. etc.) and you cannot sit, don't wuss out and say something like, "I couldn't sit because of the toilet or the roof." Say rather, "I choose NOT to sit." No excuses, no side-stepping. Make a promise keep a promise ... and if you can't keep a promise, then don't-keep your promise ... in that way, your promise is fulfilled.

Tomorrow night, look forward to the following day ... when might 15 or 20 minutes be available? Make a promise ... etc. And if once a day is too much, try once every other day or once a week. Just make a promise and keep a promise.

Best wishes.

Very good advice.
  • I have been buying meditation cushions from www.chopa.com for about ten years now. Really nice quality, pricing is good and the shipping is fast. Every Christmas I pick up a few as gifts for friends. I do like the kapok better than buckwheat though. Just my two cents.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2012
    a big, round, beanbag 'chair' works just as well as anything! LOL I'm serious, they are very adjustable, and offer as much 'lift' off the floor as one might want.
  • let me clarify that a bit- find a "child's size" beanbag 'chair'... an adult size one would be way too big. They also make them shaped like this, which would also work for sitting meditation: (Under $40)

• I use a gomden. It's a little expensive, but it's great for people with stiff knees.
  • I made mine. Cheap and tailored to my body :)
    MaryAnne
  • While at home, I sit on an old sofa cushion. I never had interest in buying a real "Buddhist" cushion. When I'm with my Sangha, I do sit on those but as for meditation itself, the kind of cushion doesn't seem to be of importance. It's all about what's going on in the mind and how we hold that.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

While at home, I sit on an old sofa cushion. I never had interest in buying a real "Buddhist" cushion. When I'm with my Sangha, I do sit on those but as for meditation itself, the kind of cushion doesn't seem to be of importance. It's all about what's going on in the mind and how we hold that.

I agree with this statement, as now I sit on concrete to meditate and have no pains or issues, my major issue is stability, something which cushions can get in the way of. It is definitely of importance not to put TOO much thought and attachment to your cushions.
  • When buying a cushion, get a matching mala and a statue and . . . put a pile of sutras or newspapers under an ass. It is still an ass.

I guess we all knew that . . . :)
  • Your guy's fancy sitting cushions put my folded up spare comforter with a blanket on top to shame! x)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Without an organic, kapoc stuffed, 33 pleat, mat black, japanese hermit blessed zafu, you guys can only dream of meditation.
    Cole_Vastmindlobsterpommesetoranges
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Several people in my sangha use meditation benches (usually with a cushioned cover) and seem to prefer those a lot over zafus. Easier on the joints I guess. I use a zabuton and zafu, mostly because our group meditates on a stone floor, lol, just the cushion is not enough. I think I bought them separately and they cost around $50 for the set. It was worth it though, and I didn't think that was much for the 2 parts. The only downside of it is it is black and collects hairs and dirt like you wouldn't believe.
  • edited December 2012
    how said:

Without an organic, kapoc stuffed, 33 pleat, mat black, japanese hermit blessed zafu, you guys can only dream of meditation.

Ahh the sweet medicine of laughter, thanks for that. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Who's laughing? I just don't know how you guys can get a proper snooze with your wheels.
    MaryAnne
  • edited December 2012
    how said:

Who's laughing? I just don't know how you guys can get a proper snooze with your wheels.

It's true, It's true. Perhaps someday I'll be able to bask in the greatness of a true master's butt-throne.

Where's a giant lotus when you need one right? ;) Seriously though how cool would it be to have a deployable giant lotus. That's mother nature status right there.
    MaryAnneVastmind
  • Ha! You all haven't even experienced 'true' meditation until you've plopped your butt into one of those "Zero Gravity" lounging chairs and tilted it to the optimum Zero-ness of your weight and height and THEN meditated ! Holy Zen Garden! It's the best!

(gentle tease alert)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    There's nothing as good as a comfy chair. :p
  • LostSoul said:

Hi.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good, comfortable, sitting cushion that is relatively affordable? I realize things cost money, but after looking around at $50 cushions I was a little intimidated. But if this is the price of a good seat so be it.

I'm just not meditating at all really, I can't find the time/motivation. I'll try doing so more starting tomorrow morning, but I think it would really help if I had a dedicated sitting place.

I believe these cushions are called "sangha pillows" or something like that by some.

If you are looking something affordable, maybe you just make do without a cushion. Buddha probably sits on the root of the Pipal tree.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

You can also make your own meditation cushion. I've used the kapok stuffing from an old life jacket for filler in the past. Lots of different options out there but the real obstacle to a meditation is always what we choose to do instead of it, never the equipment.
    dwitiya