Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lance Armstrong finally admits he lied.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes...and to those who condemned many of us for not trusting him...including as I recall at least one thread on this forum...well, just saying...
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Eh...never cared for him anyway.
  • Being involved in cycling I've always had huge respect for him and he was an inspiration for sure. I really don't know what to think of his actions. An extreme disappointment to say the least, but I'm glad he came clean no matter the reason. Out of all this though he started a great foundation that really helps and inspires people affected with cancer. He's hurt a lot of people and also helped a lot of people. I guess it's a tossup. I'm going to choose to focus on the good that he's done. I think that's what the buddha in me would want to do.
    Begin_Being
    I think, @ThaiLotus, that choosing to look at it the way you are is a very charitable and compassionate way of approaching the issue when looking at others. In other words, good for you! My compliments!

But I also think -- when looking at human behavior -- there are limits to how much one should excuse another person's behaviors. For example, make a mistake or two in one area...well, we all do. Because we're human. But commit that same act over and over and over, over a long period of time...and that goes more to serious intent...something we talk about here a lot. And then you compound the taking of banned substances by persistently lying about it over a period of many years. And you take awards away from others who made their efforts honestly...and that's stealing. And then you take money for something you haven't earned honestly...more stealing. And then you take the honor and glory and adulation of others under false pretenses. Gee...how much should we excuse?

Or let's put it another way. It's a bit easy to dismiss his behaviors because it's just sports. What if the crimes he was committing were more serious than just sports? Would we excuse him because he also did good in other areas?

I can only go back to what I would expect for myself. And frankly, I would not expect to be forgiven in a similar pattern of behavior. We sometimes point to a few good deeds someone does and think those deeds define him or her. Perhaps it's as fair to look at a person (including ourselves) and say that we're only as good as we are at our worst, particularly if that "worst" is a pattern of behavior.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Forgive him or not, but life goes on and I look to the future. Asking forgiveness and giving that forgiveness is not done lightly but it is one of the most beautiful turn-arounds to a bad situation. If he truly and sincerely asks my forgiveness, then I gladly give it to him.
  • And I wore a Livestrong band on my arm for 7 years straight without ever taking it off... To think. Definitely disappointing, however he has done much good, and even if he hadn't done much good, he looks like he is trying to better his life, and that is always a good thing, nothing worse than living a lie.
  • Remembered his inspirational good for all and love his open confession of unkindness due to lack of ignorance. Is so wise in open confession of him and is wise that all accept his confession so that life is full of forgiveness and acceptance, together we live paradisely :D
  • He cheated n he lied, since the mid-90s
    as he confessed.
    not only that, he betrayed n harrased n threatened
    his closest firends n associates.
    he used his power n influence to pervert justice.
    he has a lot to answer for.

But, that is all in the past.
    if i were in his position, i could have done
    the same things.
    it is now time for him to move on with his life.
    perhaps it is time to ask for forgiveness
    and make amends.
    he has the money to still do a lot of good.
    perhaps it is time to give back some
    of the money he did not deserve.

as a buddhist, i believe in karma.
    he is still in the position to accumulate tons of good
    karma.
    i wish him all the best in the future.
    if i meet him, i will say to him,
    ' lance, i think you are one of the greatest cyclist
    of all time. thank you for livestrong foundation.
    form now on. put your pride behind you, live in truth,
    and do lots of charity'
    lobsterBegin_Being
  • edited January 2013
    Meditation, vegetarianism and continue with kind deeds are a good karma for him with emphasis on meditation. There was this ancient example in China very similar situation like him, descended to hell upon his although he was doing alot of kind deeds trying to atone his ignorant unwise bad deeds. It was his wife who missed him so much that asked the medium (a French) his whereabout and the details of it probably to be in next episode like some film directors skilfull means of intriguing tinge of delight for you to ponder on... :D
    JosephW said:

And I wore a Livestrong band on my arm for 7 years straight without ever taking it off... To think. Definitely disappointing, however he has done much good, and even if he hadn't done much good, he looks like he is trying to better his life, and that is always a good thing, nothing worse than living a lie.

We're not quite that sure of his goals. There are those who believe he is positioning himself to get involved in other professional sports.

• vinlyn said:

JosephW said:

And I wore a Livestrong band on my arm for 7 years straight without ever taking it off... To think. Definitely disappointing, however he has done much good, and even if he hadn't done much good, he looks like he is trying to better his life, and that is always a good thing, nothing worse than living a lie.

We're not quite that sure of his goals. There are those who believe he is positioning himself to get involved in other professional sports.

Surely that is a possibility, but I just assumed, he is getting old, he is winding down, he is straightening up... So I hope...
  • I think that's what the buddha in me would want to do.
    Dear Friends of the endless cycle,
    He is a man on two wheels. We are on one wheel. We can peddle compassion, wisdom and a change of heart. Time to cycle to the top of our own mountain with skilful means? We can not cheat ourselves . . .
    Begin_Being
  • " Marx said religion was the opium of the people. But that was then. Now sport is the opium of the people " Ajahn Munindo.
    zombiegirl

" Marx said religion was the opium of the people. But that was then. Now sport is the opium of the people " Ajahn Munindo.

There's a fair amount of truth to that!

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I'd argue that it's entertainment/television/celebrity culture, at least in the US.
    zombiegirlTheswingisyellow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I watched the whole 2 part interview.

The two insights that he verbalized was...
    that there are things he can't control
    (cancer and keeping the secrets under wraps)
    and that his intentions must change.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I feel like he's sorta the "fall guy" for doping in cycling. I wouldn't doubt that there are a bunch of other successful cyclists who have doped/continue to use performance-enhancing substances, but since Armstrong has the most celebrity, he's the one to be put in the stocks.
    ^ Sure...because he set the example.
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I do not believe that Lance Armstrong had a true view of his value to the human race. Whether he lied or not isn't the issue; he had people who would have believed him to the death.

A fellow teacher that I work with and I were discussing this atrocious matter of Lance Armstrong, today. We both agreed that even if he -was- doping, with a mountain of verified evidence against him, he should have denied, denied, denied. The reason why is because: when you become an icon such as he became, it's no longer actually about you. Lance Armstrong should have thought of all of the cancer patients that he inspired to survive, all of the people that he inspired to get in shape, and so on...they are who it's really about, not him or his conscience. When you reach the status that he reached, should something like this arise, he should have (for the sake of all of those who believed in him) stayed the course and fought the matter to the very end, never admitting defeat even on his deathbed. To use the word "icon" to describe someone is to suggest a question of faith; faith defies logic, and can be used to accomplish great things in the people who follow it. No evidence is indisputable.

This is why, I imagine, the Catholic church would continue its course, even though there are many things about The Bible that are scientifically disprovable, because at that point: it's not about fact, but faith. What matters more is the story of this person, rather than the actual fact. What matters more is how the story of this hero can inspire the human race to do better.

Like when Che Guevera spoke about how he became an icon of rebellion. He said that he never chose to be an icon of rebellion, and even though peace had been attained in Cuba, he still had to keep on fighting because what had become a part of was bigger than himself. He had become a symbol to the people. Che went to other countries (and eventually died) fighting simply because he knew that his life truly didn't belong to him anymore. The same is true of Emperor Qi'in, the first sovereign emperor of China (I suggest you watch the Kung Fu movie, titled "Hero", starring Jet Li or read about the actual history of the emperor); the emperor didn't want to kill Wu Ming (the assassin who plotted against him) because after sitting down and talking to the assassin, he realized the truth of what sometimes must be done for the sake of the greater good of the people. He had to kill the assassin, and bear that on his conscience for the rest of his life for the sake of all of China, the people who looked at the emperor as an icon to believe in and follow. The moral of the story with emperor Qi'in, Che Guevera, and Jesus is that the suffering of one is nothing compared to the suffering of all. Therefore, in my humble utilitarian opinion, I personally believe that Lance should have kept a guilty conscience to the death.

Even though there is an ocean of difference between Jesus, Che Guevera, Emperor Qi'in, and Lance Armstrong, what they had in common were that they were all icons, symbols to the people for greater things of greater goods, even if they never chose to be an icon.

Lance truly disappointed me, not because of the allegations against him (be they true or false), but how he reacted to them. He should not have thought of himself, his own conscience, but should have suffered inside until death...for the sake of the children. He should have thought of the children, and the others who believed in him, rather than allegations against him. The controversy just would have added to his legend, and inspired more people to do greater things for the human race in future generations.
    Begin_BeingInvincible_summerBrian
    ^^ I can't agree with you at all. Truth matters. And telling the truth matters.
  • I understand why you would disagree. I truly do.

I just that sometimes, in very key specific situations, the truth will do more harm than actual good. If you've ever read the book The Sunflower (http://www.amazon.com/The-Sunflower-Possibilities-Forgiveness-ebook/dp/B000SEH8U8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358741844&sr=8-2&keywords=the+sunflower)

...the true story of a Jew who was given the option to forgive a Nazi, a situation just like this arises.

The protagonist of this story was a victim of the Holocaust, who was pulled into a room by a dieing nazi who wanted someone to hear his story about how he became a nazi and asked for forgiveness.

I won't reveal what the Jew did or didn't do (just in case if you decide to read the story), but after, he tracks down the nazi's mother.

When he speaks to his mother, the mother is completely and innocently oblivious to her son's crimes. She's the only survivor of her family, and all she had were wonderful memories of her son.

The protagonist of the story is given yet another choice...tell the truth to the mother about what her son really became, or let her live on with the legend of her son in her mind for the sake of her own sanity?

He chose to lie to her, and agree that her son was a good boy, for the greater good of the mother's heart.

I personally believe that there -are- certain key...VERY KEY...situations when a lie would actually do better than the truth.
    Bunks
  • For example, take Buddhism for example. The eightfold path. It is not a commandment to tell the truth, but a guideline. To truly follow the middle-path is not to chain yourself to any one way of thought. To tell the truth all the time, in every scenario, every time, no matter what. This, is I believe, is an extreme..and like any extreme can cause great harm, even if it wasn't intended.
    Begin_Being
  • Another example could be "The Watchmen". World peace was attained on a lie, the fact was that Dr. Manhattan WASN'T the cause of all of the nuclear-level explosions in the world, but as long as Dr. Manhattan took the hit on his reputation and remained an infamous legend, world peace would be retained.

Even though the movie is a bit different than the book, in reference to the movie, Dr. Manhattan agreed to the plan, to continue the lie, for the greater good of all mankind. Dr. Manhattan -wasn't- the cause of all the deaths, but his reputation, his conscience, was a small price to pay considering all of the other lives that would be saved over time. War had ended.

Another example could be the Dark Knight. Batman. There are many, many examples when a lie can accomplish wonderful goods.

This does not mean that I condone lying generally; I only mean to defend the shadow-side of the true definition of one who follows the middle-path.
    Invincible_summer
  • @novaw0lf, we all have different and varying degrees of integrity, authenticity and emotional forbearance.
    When the game is up, it is time to move on. Nobody believes politicians deep down because they are like lawyers and actors, professional 'liars'. We know this. What are we adult enough to hear? An athlete gets away with what they can. How many more like Lance?
    Buddhism has many accepted truths. Which ones are skilful or abandoned is not about generating an inspiring mythology. It is about our integrity, authenticity and emotional forbearance.

Why in truth are we so keen on lies?
  • @lobster Honestly, I completely understand everything and why you guys would disagree with me. It takes a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mentality (sometimes a mentality that even needs to be ruthless) in order to be a utilitarian. Utilitarians have to be particularly strong to endure the moral burden of certain decisions that may be made for the greater good of whatever is it at hand.

Utilitarians tend to have quite controversial opinions when it comes to moral dilemmas such as this, because one who thinks of the "greater good" for the "greater number" rather than the preservation of the "self" can be lead by this kind of thinking to do horrible things to ourselves for the sake of someone else's good. In one aspect, I would say, that one could look at it one of the highest levels of selflessness, or...one of the highest levels of selfishness (depending on the scenario and how one chooses to look at it). Utilitarians tend to take the bird's eye view on situations, rather than the first-person view.

I speak from personal experience that it is simply my nature to sacrifice parts of myself for the greater good of someone else's well-being, even if it means my conscience. Even in my own life, I've had to take hits on my own reputation in order to help others in their purpose in life. I know that I speak of this vaguely, but I really don't want to type anymore long of a post than I already have. I just speak from personal experience when I say...that it takes a -strong- person to think like a utilitarian, for there is much to bear on your conscience if you're a benevolent person at heart.

Utilitarians are not always politicians and false idols; this is merely the dark side of the philosophy. Utilitarians can also be wonderful big brothers, leaders, kings, revolutionaries, martyrs, parents, etc.

It seems that you speak against inspiring mythology, but was it not inspiring mythology that inspired Alexander the Great to conquer nearly all of the known world in his time? If he had lived to succeed and acknowledged a suitable heir...because of the lies of mythology, we may have already have entered an age of true world peace.
    Invincible_summer
    edited January 2013
    If mythology nearly inspired an age of world peace, then if Lance Armstrong fought the allegations until it reached the level of modern mythology, who knows how he may have inspired a child in the future to surpass him in actual truth.

No one knows the true value we have in the universe, nor the how our actions truly echo through eternity. We just know that they do, and that's what I believe Lance should have stuck by, -not- for himself, but for future generations.

Icons and legends make the impossible, possible...in our minds. And this elevates the human race to evolve into higher and higher levels of being. To run faster, think smarter, fly higher, lift heavier, defeat cancer, defy the odds, etc. Icons and legends help to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery. It doesn't matter if they are true or false; all that matters is that we believe in them--and those beliefs, how they affect our minds (and indirectly, our bodies) can give us the inner power to do wonderful and record-breaking things.
    Yes, there are times when lies are better than the truth. I don't see this as being one of them.
    lobster
  • We lie and justify. The greater good? Another lie? Skilful means are based on integrity, authenticity and easily verified.
  • Well, I've stated my opinion. No need to speak further.
  • An opinion is not knowledge. Undigested experience may just be constipation. Other experiences may unclog our genuine capacity. I am NOT inspired by liars, cheats and mythological fabrications.
    The yidams of Tantra, represent real internal qualities. The techniques and teachings of Buddhism are verifiable or compost.
    Like Lance Armstrong, we are hypocrites, we follow the dharma that suits us. I understand sacrifice and I understand the pressure of his 'karma'. Lance has confessed. He is a Mensch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch

More inspiring than a man on a bike. :clap:
    edited January 2013
    @lobster "An opinion is not knowledge. Undigested experience may just be constipation."

An opinion is not knowledge; it's a viewpoint, one of which I am completely entitled to. You're right. Undigested experience may indeed be constipation, but that feels like a slight literary attack on my vague expression of personal experience. There's no need for that. I merely stated my opinion without attacking yours. I kept my personal experience vague, because personally, it's none of your business.

This is a forum; we speak freely and respectfully. I would not slight your personal experiences as constipation, but revere them as great contributions to this forum for others to read and learn from, regardless of whether I completely disagreed with you or not.
    edited January 2013
    ...and also, just because a man on a bike may not move -you- so much, this has no bearing on who it -may- move. Please keep other people in mind; we are not the only ones reading this conversation. Remember how our words may affect the way others may think, even if they don't reply. This means that even our few small words here on this forum affect the world. We all think differently, and are inspired by different things. To say that something is more inspiring than another...is just another opinion, an opinion that is no better or less constipated than mine. My opinions may not be knowledge, however, they are very well read, researched, and informed...lest I not speak at all, I assure you.

To you, the man on a bike may have been nothing; to another, the man on a bike may have been everything, perceived as a total motivating hero and example...and unto many, he surely was. Even after all this, I'm willing to bet that there are still staunch conspiracy fans out there who still choose to believe in Lance, even after his confession. I say: let them believe what they may, so long as it inspires them to bring more positive energy into the world; let the people believe that Dr. Manhattan was the culprit, so long as there is still world peace.
  • No need to speak further.
    That too was an opinion, not borne out as we now know.
    People will always, through pride and other motivations, defend opinions. It would be disrespectful to not point this out to those well able to gain from a potential enablement. That is the spirit it is given in, I feel you know that.
    Unskilful behaviour from me? Yes. Always guilty . . . Just like the heroic Lance.
    :)
  • It is a great tragedy for everyone involved, and an example of karma in action. His actions had consequences. Once a person begins living a lie, this demands more lies and the lie eventually takes over.

He hurt himself, because now he'll never know if he was good enough to win without cheating. Maybe he wouldn't have won every single race, but then the people who didn't cheat would have won the way they deserved and earned their reward, so he hurt other racers. I don't consider the fans to have been among the victims. What does it hurt you no matter who wins?

And everyone keeps ignoring the fact that his cancer might be the result of all those drugs he kept pushing into his system.
    vinlynnovaw0lf
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Lance Armstrong winning at all costs or Ivan Fernandez Anaya not taking advantage of a fellow competitor's mistake? I know which one I look up to.

There is more to being a winner than crossing the line first.
    vinlynnovaw0lf
    lobster said:

...I am NOT inspired by liars, cheats and mythological fabrications.

Exactly!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    ZenBadger said:

Lance Armstrong winning at all costs or Ivan Fernandez Anaya not taking advantage of a fellow competitor's mistake? I know which one I look up to.

There is more to being a winner than crossing the line first.

While I congratulate Ivan on his sportsmanship, let's hope he hasn't set a precedent that he can't live up to!!

• lance armstrong is the fall guy.
    try watching interviews with his teamates,
    tyler hamilton n floyd landis.
    lance is the most selfish n powerful
    cyclist on dope.
    his confession came about only bcos
    of the overwhelming evidence n he
    has lost all credibility.
    he was a very good liar and a bully.
    he did it for understandable reasons.
    money n fame n power.
    he was on 1st name terms with pres
    george bush n dating rock stars.
    he has left a trail of victims.
    and now he claims to be the victim?

having said all that, i believe in
    forgiving him for all his flaws.
    just admitting that he was extremely
    selfish n vicious seems a step too far for
    him to take right now.
    i hope he learns from Hamilton n Landis
    who confessed everything and seem
    to have found peace.

I feel like he's sorta the "fall guy" for doping in cycling. I wouldn't doubt that there are a bunch of other successful cyclists who have doped/continue to use performance-enhancing substances, but since Armstrong has the most celebrity, he's the one to be put in the stocks.

• jlljll Veteran
    listen to what one of armstrong's staunchest supporter
    has to say.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    On the issue of whether a lie can sometimes do better good than the truth. I have thought about this quite a lot, and generally I tend to agree. However, if you do not tell the truth, even when it is painful and difficult, you are taking away from that person the ability to learn a lesson from the truth and instead believe in a lie. In the example of the Jew and the Nazi in the book. Of course any mother is going to want to stay believing their child was the good boy they always thought. But perhaps the mother had a lesson to learn in realizing what her son had become. Perhaps she had a hand in what he had become and needed to recognize that, and because of the lie she was not able to.

Sometimes there is no easy answer. Such as when the Sandy Hook shooting happened and my kids wanted to know if their school was safe. Do I lie and tell them yes so they are not afraid and anxious at school? Or do I tell them the truth as a lesson in life? Never easy to know.

As far as Armstrong, I too watched the interviews. I did not get a big sense of remorse from him, only that he felt it was time to tell the story to move on. The only time he appeared overly emotional was when he was talking about telling his son, and even then I wasn't so sure he was authentic. Either way, it's a sad state of affairs. Hardly a new one, and certainly not the last. ARod is now being investigated for the same type of thing. What makes me the most sad, is the possible damage these people do to their bodies in the name of sport, not thinking beyond what happens when they have to live another 40-50 years with that body. What about their spouses? Their children? Short term success in exchange for long term harm to the mind and body is a bad route to go. I hope that Armstrong has learned something. But I am not so sure he has.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    What a liar + a manipulator.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

What a liar + a manipulator.

I have been both of these myself in the past......not perhaps on the same scale as Lance but I have certainly done it in my younger days.

I know I have hurt people by doing it too.

I pray for their forgiveness and that I can forgive myself.

I hope Lance and all the people he has hurt can find some peace too.
    VastmindInvincible_summerlobster
  • it is hard to trust someone who lied.
    but he is a very good liar.

jll said:

listen to what one of armstrong's staunchest supporter
    has to say.

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Karmically he will be retributed, the universe speaks louder than I do, he will recieve a punishment worthy of his actions