Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does a vet break the first precept?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
My mate is a vet. He told me that his main job these days is to "put down" old and sick animals.

Is he breaking the first precept?

Comments

• I appreciate that vets do this service. I think technically its a violation of the first precept, but that doesn't mean he is not a good person.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It's hard to say. I think it would depend very much on a case by case basis. Though, many of us will say it is more kind than harmful to put a very ill or disabled pet down...yet we cannot fathom thinking that way about a spouse or child and would do everything to save them regardless of the suffering endured. Not always of course, just in many more cases than we would with pets.

My sister's girlfriend's dog recently fell very ill. They brought him in right away, and he was found to have a tumor that had burst on his spleen. There was no way to save him, not even surgery, so he was put down to end his obviously very painful suffering. To me, there is a difference in that compared to an owner who puts a pet down because they are moving, because they cannot afford pet care, etc. If you can't afford to put some savings away for emergency vet care, maybe you shouldn't have a pet. I would imagine the karma on that is split, too in some way, as it is the owner who makes the decision to put the pet down and the vet provides the service, so to speak.

As always, intention is a big part of this in my opinion. But then you have to ask if we are causing future life problems for the being/animal if we do not allow them to experience their suffering.
    Invincible_summerBunks
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Is he a Buddhist who has taken the precepts)? If not, then I don't see why it matters.

If you asked "is it compassionate or plain old killing," then I think we've got something.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited January 2013
    No he's not a buddhist but I don't see "Vet" or similar anywhere under the Buddha's list of "Wrong Livelihood".

Thinking about it, I think it does matter @Invincible_summer. If my friend is doing something that is going to send him straight down to the lower realms (whether he's a buddhist or not!), should I not mention it to him?
    blu3ree
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Pets have been humanely put down for a long time. Frankly, if the pet would suffer greatly unless it was put down I would applaud the decision to put it down.
    MaryAnne
  • Bunks said:

No he's not a buddhist but I don't see "Vet" or similar anywhere under the Buddha's list of "Wrong Livelihood".

Thinking about it, I think it does matter @Invincible_summer. If my friend is doing something that is going to send him straight down to the lower realms (whether he's a buddhist or not!), should I not mention it to him?

Logically, does it make sense that every human who has broken a precept will go to lower realms?
    Has every human alive today been born human because they followed the precepts in their previous life?
    If every human who breaks the first precept is born to a lower realm, where will all the babies come from?
    Do you want others imposing their religion on you?
    I think he would be morally wrong if he chose, because of fear for his future life, to watch an animal suffer instead of helping to end it's suffering.
    Like JW's withholding blood from sick or injured children because of weird religious views.
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Bunks said:

My mate is a vet. He told me that his main job these days is to "put down" old and sick animals.

Not if the animals are suffering, and he's putting an end to their suffering. They're dying, anyway. This is the compassionate thing to do. In Buddhism, it's as much about one's motivation for an action, as it is about the action itself. Your mate has Right Motivation. That counts for a lot.

BunksBrian
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think if you were to tell him he's destined for the lower realms, (and not being a Buddhist) he'd look at you funny and recommend you get out more.
    Invincible_summerBunksCaptain_America
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    If he's a vet and a Buddhist then yes he would be breaking the first precept, Killing still yields an unfavourable result even if it is done with a positive intention it is less then done with a negative mind but something to very seriously avoid and If you have precepts to make certain you avoid.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Bunks said:

In short, "no."

I think that would be unskillful. If he's not a Buddhist (and not even all Buddhists would agree with you), he would definitely not understand and maybe even think you're a bit strange, or that your belief system is strange.

Would you go on a campaign to tell all people with jobs under "wrong livelihood" that they would all be reborn in the lower realms, so they better repen... err... get their lives on track so they'll have a better rebirth?

Although the bodhisattva vow talks about saving all sentient beings, I don't think proselytizing is what the writers had in mind.
  • I think that even if he is not a Buddhist and has therefore not taken precepts, he is still subject to the same laws of karma. Whether he kills from good motivation or not, he will still be subject to the karma from killing, although i do think that motivation does count for much so the resulting karma will be less than if he killed out of pleasure.

This is based on the jataka tale of how in one of his previous lives, the Buddha was on a boat with 99 other people and there was a murderer among them and from his clairvoyance, Buddha could see that the murderer would kill everyone on the boat. Out of compassion, the Buddha then killed that murderer. As a result, though his motivation was pure, he had to go to hell for it, even though it was only for one day.

I do not know what is the best thing to do - whether to let an animal or even a human being suffer or euthanise them. I guess if the suffering is so terrible that i would go to hell as a consequence of euthanising them, then at least it is doing it knowingly. I know pet owners who just euthanise because they don't want to deal with protracted vet bills. I guess in the end, karma will be the ultimate judge.
    Bunksperson
  • I agree that intention means everything here. Also, with this talk of karma, it is my understanding that karma doesn't work like this. It isnt some running tally of bad deeds that catch up to you and punish you.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited January 2013
    How is that possible? I've been to the vet so many times over the years and never once have I put an animal down. Does he work with other vets so that this has just become his area of expertise? And if so... how sad...

Well, there was an Ajahn Brahm dharma talk on youtube that dealt with putting animals down (Sorry, I can't remember the title atm). He talked about how if you are really connected to your pet and you listen, then you will know when the time has come to put them down and "out of their misery". He said you have to wait for your pet to tell you that they're ready... but you will know. I think there is a certain kindness in the practice as well.
    Invincible_summer
  • My own take is that no, he is not doing anything wrong even from a Buddhist standpoint. If fact, every time he puts a terminally sick, suffering pet out of its misery and helps the grieving owners to deal with the loss, he's being a Buddha. What a terrible burden he must take upon himself at times.

It is a problem with every religion, where people come to see the rules as sacred and more important than the suffering beings they're designed to help. As if four or even four-hundred rules can contain and define the Dharma's message in action.

"Help all beings." And if the only help you can give is to end terminal suffering, then you're still living the Dharma.
    mfranzdorfInvincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran

He said you have to wait for your pet to tell you that they're ready... but you will know.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was pondering how to express this - thank you!

Perhaps the difference between addressing your suffering and addressing the suffering of the subject.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Some people take their healthy pet to the vet to be put down because they just don't want it anymore. If an animal can be helped back to health, and the person just doesn't want to pay for it so they put the animal down. If a vet does that, most definitely unskillful. However, if someone brings in a dog that got hit by a car and it's back and hip and legs are broken and will certainly die a slow painful death, I don't that that would be unskillful.

But you can't break a vow that you didn't take to begin with. However, just because you aren't buddhist and haven't take the vow, does not absolve you of the making of bad karma.

As far as the precepts, the precept is "cause no harm." Can't we easily make an argument that a vet putting a severely suffering animal out of it's suffering is lessening harm, not causing it? We generally assuming killing=harm. But is that the case 100% of the time? I don't think so, and neither do a lot of people. Also, we "cleanse" our karma as we go, and I would think it's at least possible that a vet is earning enough good karma already in helping so many animals (and people along the way too).

We accept that sometimes "harm" is caused in the course of doing good. Why is the vet any different? For example I just had surgery and technically the doctor cut me and hurt me. The anesthesiologist gave me drugs that made me sick for the whole day. But they still did me more good than harm. Every day I prick my son's finger at least 4-5 times and make him bleed. Then I poke him 4 times with needles. He doesn't enjoy it, it clearly hurts him as it makes him bleed. Is this still harm when done for his good?

As far as telling the vet, I'm not sure what would have good results. You could try, I suppose, if you are truly worried. But if he is not a Buddhist and has his own beliefs, he likely isn't going to respond well to being told "hey, but putting down sick and injured animals you might send yourself to hell realms." I know I do not take kindly to people tell me I'm going to hell for not believing what they do. Even if they mean well, it is offensive and makes me not want to spend time with those people anymore.
    JeffreyInvincible_summerCaptain_America
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    My take on it is from the beginning our desire to own a pet is partially the issue. We're supposed to remove desire from ourselves and with that the need to own a pet would vanish.

Moving on to putting a pet down at the vets, my view is putting down an animal interferes with the natural course of the animals kamma and adds negative kamma to both owner and vet (owner for making the decision and/or putting the responsibility on the vet). If the choice to put the animal down was that of compassion due to the animals suffering the impact of kamma would be greatly less then out of ill intent but no matter what it still generates negative kamma.

I could be completely wrong tho
  • i wonder what you think about euthanasia for people? Is it okay to 'kill' people who are sick and suffering? Where do we draw the line? How much suffering is enough suffering to warrant killing? If a disease is incurable? If a disease is curable but too painful? The doctor or family member may wish to alleviate the person's pain but when is it appropriate and who will judge?
    vinlynBunks
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    edited January 2013
    At it's most literal interpretation maybe it could be a problem, but if an animal is suffering that much without hope for a return to health, then the kindest thing to do is to put the animal to sleep. Some people might say 'but it's interfering with that animal's karma and the process of it working through negative karma in this life' but then again, perhaps it is because of that animal's positive karma that allowed it to be cared for by someone who won't let it continue to live overwhelmed with pain. The truth is, we don't know exactly what karma we or our pets are carrying with us, or in what ways it will unfold. We can only make the best decisions we can with the limited knowledge we have.

This is a pretty personal topic for me, because my dog is 18 years old. All things considered, she is doing pretty well, yet I've been seeing a slow but steady decline. I would be shocked if she made it through the year to be honest. There's a good chance that at somepoint I'm going to have to make the decision to end her life. It would be wonderful if she could pass peacefully in her sleep, but there's a strong likelyhood that that won't be the case. I don't know what are the workings of her good and bad karma, all I know is that in this life that we share together, I am responsible for her well being. To allow her to linger on when she has no decent quality of life left, is frankly, inhumane.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Here's what it comes down to -- Buddhists on this forum aren't even close to agreeing as to what karma is or how it works.
    Invincible_summer
  • sharonsaw said:

i wonder what you think about euthanasia for people? Is it okay to 'kill' people who are sick and suffering? Where do we draw the line? How much suffering is enough suffering to warrant killing? If a disease is incurable? If a disease is curable but too painful? The doctor or family member may wish to alleviate the person's pain but when is it appropriate and who will judge?

Those are very difficult questions to answer. Human medicine has advanced a great deal so there are a lot more ways to keep someone alive. Should people be kept alive just because the doctor can? How much weight should be given to quality of life? I don't think there's any blanket answer to that. Everyone's situation is different. You also forgot in your list of questions what the patient themselves might want which should carry the most weight.
  • Makes me sad about deceased pets. :bawl:
  • vinlyn said:

Here's what it comes down to -- Buddhists on this forum aren't even close to agreeing as to what karma is or how it works.

Precisely!
  • mfranzdorfmfranzdorf Veteran
    edited January 2013

I have taken a pet to be put down. She was hit by a car, two broken front legs and a possible broken pelvis. I sat with her all night after it happened. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that it was the kind thing to do.
  • How is that possible? I've been to the vet so many times over the years and never once have I put an animal down. Does he work with other vets so that this has just become his area of expertise? And if so... how sad...

Well, there was an Ajahn Brahm dharma talk on youtube that dealt with putting animals down (Sorry, I can't remember the title atm). He talked about how if you are really connected to your pet and you listen, then you will know when the time has come to put them down and "out of their misery". He said you have to wait for your pet to tell you that they're ready... but you will know. I think there is a certain kindness in the practice as well.

Agree 100% :)

How is that possible? I've been to the vet so many times over the years and never once have I put an animal down. Does he work with other vets so that this has just become his area of expertise? And if so... how sad...

He is a mobile vet ie. he goes to clients. He only recently set up the business and he told me pretty much all his call outs had been to euthanise pets.

black_tea said:

At it's most literal interpretation maybe it could be a problem, but if an animal is suffering that much without hope for a return to health, then the kindest thing to do is to put the animal to sleep. Some people might say 'but it's interfering with that animal's karma and the process of it working through negative karma in this life' but then again, perhaps it is because of that animal's positive karma that allowed it to be cared for by someone who won't let it continue to live overwhelmed with pain. The truth is, we don't know exactly what karma we or our pets are carrying with us, or in what ways it will unfold. We can only make the best decisions we can with the limited knowledge we have.

This is a pretty personal topic for me, because my dog is 18 years old. All things considered, she is doing pretty well, yet I've been seeing a slow but steady decline. I would be shocked if she made it through the year to be honest. There's a good chance that at somepoint I'm going to have to make the decision to end her life. It would be wonderful if she could pass peacefully in her sleep, but there's a strong likelyhood that that won't be the case. I don't know what are the workings of her good and bad karma, all I know is that in this life that we share together, I am responsible for her well being. To allow her to linger on when she has no decent quality of life left, is frankly, inhumane.

Good luck @black_tea!
    I am not going to say anything to him along the lines of "you should not kill" blah blah as I am not sure how I feel about what he does either.

But, he is a very intelligent open minded person so I will probably breach the topic with him at some stage just out of interest.

In fact, I am having lunch with him on Monday so may discuss it then.

Wasn't there someone on here training to be a vet?
    As far as people, again, case by case. And one of the reasons it's so important to discuss in detail and get written down your wishes. If the wishes are not in place it puts a great hardship on your family to have to make that decision or take it to doctors or court to make. Don't do that to your family and make it clear ahead of time.

In some cases, yes, if it is what someone wishes and they are capable of understanding their decision, then I think it should be legal. In other cases it is much more sticky, such as someone without their wishes known, or children. But I think it is also a situation easier to judge if you have not been in the spot. I know people who suffer pain you cannot imagine, day in, day out, for years at a time. There is no solution to their pain, no treatment or cure and they spend all day long suffering every moment. To know the extent of their pain and suffering, it is not something any of us would wish on our pets.

It is a question each person has to answer for themselves, and it is up to you to be responsible and make that decision known to the best of the legal ability so that your family is not faced with it later. I am 37 and my husband is 29. We have both already taken care of it and we revisit it often to make sure things are clear. It would not be fair for me to expect him to know what I want in my care and death without telling him straightforward.
    Bunkszombiegirl
  • black_tea said:

Someone asked the Dalai Lama this question once, and he agreed with you.

• black_tea said:

@black_tea, i think that when we start to judge what extent we 'interfere' with our/our pets' karma, then we get into muddy ground because we can say, in that case we shouldn't take medication because we are meant to suffer the karma of that illness (i think there are some religions who believe that and don't allow taking of painkillers etc). Personally i agree with you re making the best decisions at that time with the knowledge we have, and as i said earlier, if putting the pet to sleep to save him from suffering and willingly accepting the resulting karma is probably the best we can do.

My heart goes out to you for your dog of 18 years... i have had two dogs pass away and i still miss them (yes attachment smattachment! :) )... i wish your dog good health and happy times together with you.

Jeffrey
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Bunks Thanks for answering my question. That makes sense now. Gosh, that just seems like such a burden though. Definitely not a choice I would make for myself, but I suppose somebody has to do it. If you think about larger animals like a horse, that really is the only option.

But anyways... now that I know that little bit, I feel like I can answer the question. I don't really view it to be breaking the first precept, especially since it appears that he is not a Buddhist. Talking about a situation in which the animal is suffering and sure to die, it seems the compassionate thing to do. I do feel the same way about people, btw. I don't feel that I can judge what it's like to be in that situation, so I don't pretend to. If a person feels that their suffering is so great that their time is up, who am I to tell them differently? I just hope I am never in that situation. Either side of it, really.
  • sharonsaw said:

My heart goes out to you for your dog of 18 years... i have had two dogs pass away and i still miss them (yes attachment smattachment! :) )... i wish your dog good health and happy times together with you.

Thank you, I appreciate it : )

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Bunks said:

Depends on the type of the disease. If the disease implies dealing with lot of pain or, dealing with situations that bring the animal really close to it's death simply because he's moving around a bit more than it should, them what would you choose ? To see your animal suffer for some time before it dies or to relieve the suffeing ? ( I'm referring strictly to old and sick dogs). Being the vet student that I am, I've seen cases of old dogs with chronic heart diseases that wouldn't have lasted this winter, dogs that would have died horribly, if they weren't put down. I know it may sound cruel, but even the teachers at the college's clinic told me there was no other way, no other better treatment, no nothing, to do for them.

Jeffrey
    My mother had to put down our dog when he could no longer lift himself up the stairs to get into the house. He was a huge Rottweiler mix and we couldn't do it for him. He was old, had thyroid issues that contributed to being overweight, but I think it was the arthritis in his joints that ultimately caused it. Couldn't be helped... it was just time.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Bunks said:

I just hope someone will be good enough to give me the pink juice when the time comes.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    All the precepts are continually being transgressed and as they are all connected, no precept just gets broken on it's own.

They illuminate the Buddhist path, mimic enlightened action and are not to be dallied with but the spirit of their intent is what is really important.

When in doubt, meditatively ask yourself if an action manifests as compassion, love and wisdom or as greed, hate & delusion.
    Invincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013

My mother had to put down our dog when he could no longer lift himself up the stairs to get into the house. He was a huge Rottweiler mix and we couldn't do it for him. He was old, had thyroid issues that contributed to being overweight, but I think it was the arthritis in his joints that ultimately caused it. Couldn't be helped... it was just time.

My dad was almost fanatical about his German shepherds. One got cancer around the neck or throat (my dad thought it may have been caused by the flea collar, so he quit using those after the dog died), so it was merciful to put him down, but still a great loss. The next dog as he aged began to go blind. Rather than put him down, my dad got a puppy as a helper for him. It worked. The older dog lived to a ripe old age, and the younger dog helped him navigate around, always.

I don't think people put down their pets as an easy way out. Typically they only do that when they see the animal is suffering, and the animal gets a diagnosis from the vet. People love their pets, and are not cavalier with their lives. Probably in 99% of cases they're motivated by love and compassion for their animal friends. Putting a pet down isn't a decision taken lightly, and is always, in my observation, accompanied by grief. Knowing a sentient being is in unbearable pain, yet doing nothing to end the suffering, is not an option for a loving owner.

Dakini said:

My dad was almost fanatical about his German shepherds. One got cancer around the neck or throat (my dad thought it may have been caused by the flea collar, so he quit using those after the dog died), so it was merciful to put him down, but still a great loss. The next dog as he aged began to go blind. Rather than put him down, my dad got a puppy as a helper for him. It worked. The older dog lived to a ripe old age, and the younger dog helped him navigate around, always.

I don't think people put down their pets as an easy way out. Typically they only do that when they see the animal is suffering, and the animal gets a diagnosis from the vet. People love their pets, and are not cavalier with their lives. Probably in 99% of cases they're motivated by love and compassion for their animal friends. Putting a pet down isn't a decision taken lightly, and is always, in my observation, accompanied by grief. Knowing a sentient being is in unbearable pain, yet doing nothing to end the suffering, is not an option for a loving owner.

I completely agree. In my case, my mother didn't make the decision lightly, but it also wasn't something that came on overnight. He was old and she had been expecting it to happen for a long time. He just couldn't lift himself anymore... what could you do? It was cold and he couldn't even survive outside. *shrugs*

That's amazing about the puppy thing though. I didn't realize you could do something like that. How cool.
  • Bunks said:

In Buddhism, there is something called wholesome and unwholesome jobs. Veterinarian probably falls under unwholesome jobs but it would still be in a higher category if compared to some other jobs like those jobs involving slaughtering animals for enjoyment or even for food. But since your mate is already a vet, it would only be natural that he has to put sick and old animals to sleep. The fact is this that killing is never right in Buddhist but the thoughts behind it is always an important aspect. To kill for pleasure and to kill out of spite is definitely a no-no but when a vet kills out of compassion, it really makes one wonder if that's good. Ask your heart. In my society, some people with unwholesome jobs that involve killing chickens and pigs, some would probably make an extra effort to do charity work. Do more kindness, that's it.
    Jeffrey
    footiam said:

Bunks said:

In Buddhism, there is something called wholesome and unwholesome jobs. Veterinarian probably falls under unwholesome jobs but it would still be in a higher category if compared to some other jobs like those jobs involving slaughtering animals for enjoyment or even for food. But since your mate is already a vet, it would only be natural that he has to put sick and old animals to sleep. The fact is this that killing is never right in Buddhist but the thoughts behind it is always an important aspect. To kill for pleasure and to kill out of spite is definitely a no-no but when a vet kills out of compassion, it really makes one wonder if that's good. Ask your heart. In my society, some people with unwholesome jobs that involve killing chickens and pigs, some would probably make an extra effort to do charity work. Do more kindness, that's it.
    So you think a vet curing a sick animal is an unwholesome job?

• vinlyn said:

footiam said:

Bunks said:

Of course not. It would wholesome if the vet just cures but if a vet kills, it should be unwholesome. Unwholesome to a small extent. It is not that bad, is it?
    footiam said:

vinlyn said:

footiam said:

Bunks said:

Of course not. It would wholesome if the vet just cures but if a vet kills, it should be unwholesome. Unwholesome to a small extent. It is not that bad, is it?
    Of course...the question is in the balance, although alleviating suffering...hmmmmmmmm.

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

footiam said:

vinlyn said:

footiam said:

Bunks said:

Of course...the question is in the balance, although alleviating suffering...hmmmmmmmm.

It is always about the middle path. But come to think about, when a vet puts to sleep an animal, is it the suffering of the animal or the suffering of the human we are concerned with? How are we to know the animals prefer to live on despite their pain?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Bunks said:

If he's not a Buddhist and/or hasn't taken the first precept, then no, he's not breaking the first precept. If he is/has, then I think the answer's obvious. Beyond that, in situations like these, I'd say that intention plays a big part, even if their actions technically violate the first precept.

For example, I believe (as do most Mahayanists) that it's possible a person can assist another in dying out of compassion or other skillful (read 'morally blameless') mental states. That doesn't mean it's right (or even wrong for that matter) in any objective sense, but then, I'm not much of a moral absolutist. What I do think, however, is that the intentions behind our actions can influence how we experience the results of those actions.

In other words, it's not simply the utility of an action that must be taken into consideration, but the motives behind the action as well. In cases like these, euthanasia may not be the most skillful or wholesome course of action, but I don't think it's equivalent to killing out of anger, hate, jealousy, or other, more blatantly unskillful states of mind.

Just my two cents.
    Invincible_summerNomaDBuddhaJeffrey
    Jason said:

If he's not a Buddhist and/or hasn't taken the first precept, then no, he's not breaking the first precept.

You're not saying that non-Buddhists aren't subject to kamma, are you?

edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

You're not saying that non-Buddhists aren't subject to kamma, are you?

I'm saying that one can't break a precept they haven't taken.

As for one being the "owner of their actions, heir to their actions, born of their actions, related through their actions, and having their actions as their arbitrator" (AN 5.57), that's a completely different question, albeit a related one, which I attempted to address by the rest of my reply:
    [...]Beyond that, in situations like these, I'd say that intention plays a big part, even if their actions technically violate the first precept.

For example, I believe (as do most Mahayanists) that it's possible a person can assist another in dying out of compassion or other skillful (read 'morally blameless') mental states. That doesn't mean it's right (or even wrong for that matter) in any objective sense, but then, I'm not much of a moral absolutist. What I do think, however, is that the intentions behind our actions can influence how we experience the results of those actions.

In other words, it's not simply the utility of an action that must be taken into consideration, but the motives behind the action as well. In cases like these, euthanasia may not be the most skillful or wholesome course of action, but I don't think it's equivalent to killing out of anger, hate, jealousy, or other, more blatantly unskillful states of mind.
    Figured that much was obvious.
    Invincible_summer
    I guess I lean more toward being a "moral absolutist" than do you. To me, whether you took a Buddhist Precept or not, or whether you're a Buddhist or a Christian or a total non-believer, murder is wrong. Period. To say that it matters whether or not you took a Precept seems like sort of a loop hole to me.
    how
    vinlyn said:

I guess I lean more toward being a "moral absolutist" than do you. To me, whether you took a Buddhist Precept or not, or whether you're a Buddhist or a Christian or a total non-believer, murder is wrong. Period. To say that it matters whether or not you took a Precept seems like sort of a loop hole to me.

My understanding is that, from a Buddhist point of view, kamma = intention (AN 6.63), so intention plays an important role in determining whether an action is skillful/wholesome (kusala) or unskillful/unwholesome (akusala), i.e., it's not simply the utility of an action that must be taken into consideration, but the motives behind the action as well. YMMV, of course.