Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you perfect yet?

From what I know (soon to be available on the back of a matchbox) perfect emptiness, spaciousness, Mu+ etc already 'exists'.
Thank Cod for that! So what is this lobster shell? Why so flawed and imperfect?

We all have a shell, an accumulation of habits, karma and attachments. If we could let them go, would we? Sure we would, perfection is after all a better place to exist from . . .

When we sit, if we do - some may still be thinking about it, we sit in and with shell plus empty perfection.
The shell tries to grab our attention but falls away, new bits arise and fall . . .

You knew that right?

Perfect.

NirvanaLucy_Begoodhow

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Hmm, good metaphor.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    perfection is after all a better place to exist from . . .
    @lobster -- No disrespect intended, but how do you know this?

Maybe perfection, so-called, really sucks.

Hope, belief and a wonderfully ornate imagination are not the same as fact. I can wish for a piece of chocolate because, based on past experience, chocolate is the beginning and end of all things. :)

But "perfection" or "enlightenment" or any number of other well-imagined yummies ... who knows? Maybe you do, but I sure don't.
    Invincible_summerNirvanaThailandTom
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Perhaps the seaweed is always greener....
    Invincible_summerlobsterZero
  • Samsara has no beginning other than ignorance. Turn towards your experience and be guided by the light of your mind.
    ZendoLord84Lucy_Begood
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Our imperfections make us perfect.
    stop striving towards something that we are not.
    We will find buddha nature within.

Buddhism can become a form of attachment too.

• Maybe perfection, so-called, really sucks
    Being empty, what is it going to suck?

The cessation of becoming and being is the end of suckiness, the passing away of samsara. I will be verifying this as many others have. They woke up to what is encrustation and the end of crustaceans, red herrings, doubt, imperfections etc.

:clap:
  • lobster said:

Maybe perfection, so-called, really sucks
    Being empty, what is it going to suck?

The cessation of becoming and being is the end of suckiness, the passing away of samsara. I will be verifying this as many others have. They woke up to what is encrustation and the end of crustaceans, red herrings, doubt, imperfections etc.

:clap:

Are you actually a monk or something? Are you liberated? At times it comes across as that may be the assumption or something :hrm:

As for being perfect, I am not trying to become anything and I don't even know what perfect would represent tbh. Can you draw perfect? I want to see a photograph of perfection.
  • @lobster -- No disrespect intended, but how do you know this?
    None taken.
    I know this from Buddhist doctrine and kensho
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenshō

Diagrams will not be available. Provide your own cushion.

Here we go, here we go, here we go . . .

. . . Soon I may be completey gone . . . or maybe not . . . :clap:
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I am quite perfect, yes.

perfectly impermanent, perfectly unsatisfactory, and perfectly not-self... I just don't quite know it yet.
    lobster
  • Do people still use matches?
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I'm learning to be perfect in/with the moment....
    I think the 'yet' part is what leads to expectations.

Expectations.....Houston, we have a problem.
    :)
    MaryAnne
  • I seem to have a very, very thick shell.
    lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I know this from Buddhist doctrine and kensho
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenshō
    Oooops!
  • I'll play.

The questions always have presuppositions and once we examine and deconstruct those presuppositions the question ends and the fruit is recognized.

Are you perfect yet?

The inherent assumption is that perfection is conditional and something that occurs to and individual at a certain time.

So really its the idea of an entity that gains or loses something.

This is the basis subject, object, process duality.

So lets say that perfection in the Buddhist sense of the ending of the three poisons (greed, aversion and ignorance).

We practice and study because we desire to end desire and primarily the notion/intuitive experience of suffering.

But the very desire to end suffering is a desire that perpetuates the cycle of becoming because in the very desire itself is the seed of craving. This is the paradox of becoming.

So two options here to get towards perfect. End the conditions which fuel the process of becoming systematically.

Or dive completely into this instant and let the mind/body drop.

Practice and study is two fold. One setting up the conditions for such seeing and depth. The other is letting go through insight. Insight is letting go and vice versa.

So perfection would be the absence of perfection and imperfection. That is this very fleeting instant, thus not a thing we gain or lose but rather a release. Not into a state, not into a thing, not anything and not even nothing.

And if that isn't possible because of karmic momentum, well then that's the path towards perfection.
    zenff
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I have other concepts of what constitutes me, fortunately perfection is not a concept I still cling to.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Perfection is a fading dream
    when snoozing fools awaken.
    What looked an entry stream
    now pillow drool, forsaken.

I actually think the thread heading is brilliant for
    it perfectly encapsulates much of the Buddhist condition.
    MaryAnne
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Heck no, not even close.
  • A better word might be pristine, unformed, empty. Meditation practice gives us insight into things - arisings. These always, no matter how refined or profane have qualities to experience.
    When we connect or become aware of the inherent nature of the experiencer, it is pristine, pure, unformed and not present without the object being experienced.

Look for yourself. You won't find it.

. . . Now we have to speak nonsense . . . There is something, that is nothing. It can not be known but is knowable. It has no being but is ever present. This is perfect and through its knowing, all things are known as 'perfect'.

“We’re fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance”
    Japanese proverb
    Jeffreytaiyaki