Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Born into the human realm

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
For all the Secular Buddhists out there, please ignore this post! ;)

Did the buddha say it was a coincidence that we come back as a human or that it was due to virtuous deeds?

Or does it depend on the tradition one follows?

I am interested to know why there are 7 billion people on the planet now as opposed to say 20 million (a guesstimate) in the Buddha's time. From a biological stand point the answer is obvious, but what is the explanation from a buddhist point of view?

Comments

• It's not coincidence. One gains a precious human rebirth because one did something (or a lot of things) right in past lives.

The numerical disparity (a very different question from your first one, deserving of its own thread) is explained by a) consciousnesses being born into our realm from other realms, and b) the high death rate at any given time. How many died on 9/11? How many have died in various wars? How many die of AIDS? How many died in the tsunami event a few years ago? How many died during WWII? All those vast numbers of people (not to mention the animals that died during Katrina, WWII, etc.) get reborn.
    Invincible_summer
  • Dakini said:

It's not coincidence. One gains a precious human rebirth because one did something (or a lot of things) right in past lives.

How do we ignore these words from the Buddha? What have I missed here?

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"
    Invincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Great quote! There are other Buddha-quotes, though, in which he explains that good acts, or altruism, result in a favorable rebirth. I think there's a passage where he says that those enjoying favorable conditions in the current lifetime were generous or compassionate in previous lives. I don't have that at my fingertips.

The sutras contradict each other on certain scores.

Human rebirth is just a fluke, per the Buddha. I've gotta remember that one. What was your source, please, robot?
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Thanks @robot......seems to be more coincidences these days than there used to be! ;)

That passage you quoted makes me wonder how people were able to remember past lives that had only recently occurred? If, as the Buddha says, we only take birth as a human once every few thousand years (best guess), how could one remember walking the streets of Suffolk in 1895?

However, in the Theravadan tradition, do they not say that once someone removes the three fetters they're guarantee to come back as a human being in subsequent lives and will be enlightened within seven?
  • Bunks said:

Thanks @robot......seems to be more coincidences these days than there used to be! ;)

That passage you quoted makes me wonder how people were able to remember past lives that had only recently occurred? If, as the Buddha says, we only take birth as a human once every few thousand years (best guess), how could one remember walking the streets of Suffolk in 1895?

However, in the Theravadan tradition, do they not say that once someone removes the three fetters they're guarantee to come back as a human being in subsequent lives and will be enlightened within seven?

I didn't know this about Theravada, how interesting!

If the Buddha had sudden recall of his past lives upon attaining Enlightenment, it seems like rebirth is more than just a rare fluke.

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @Dakini @Robot is it both? Example. When person A dies they might be reborn as another human due to their good deeds from a thousand years ago, OR they could be reborn as a spider because of not so good deeds (sorry for such a simplistic way of expressing myself here.. I am tired) done also around a thousand years ago? Karma in a mixing pot of a variety of acts done over many rebirths as different beings (again sorry for the simplistic natter) could result in either; both rebirths are necessary but only one at a time can happen? In that way it would be both karmic and random.
  • True, @Dandelion, the workings of karma are too complex to fathom. But the passage Robot quoted seems to say that karma doesn't even enter into it. But this wasn't the Buddha's last or only teaching on this. The plot thickens in other teachings.
  • Dakini said:

Great quote! There are other Buddha-quotes, though, in which he explains that good acts, or altruism, result in a favorable rebirth. I think there's a passage where he says that those enjoying favorable conditions in the current lifetime were generous or compassionate in previous lives. I don't have that at my fingertips.

The sutras contradict each other on certain scores.

Human rebirth is just a fluke, per the Buddha. I've gotta remember that one. What was your source, please, robot?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca1/samsara.html

It's fairly contradictory stuff and maybe over my head. That's why I am inclined toward the short version.
    Dandelion
  • As a newbie, this rebirth thing is a sticking point for me. I have a difficult time believing it, maybe because I don't believe in souls (even though there is another thread that says Buddhists have no souls, so there lies more confusion). Or whatever that is in a living being that could go somewhere and be reborn. However, I do believe in energy that never dies-- a scientifically proven phenomena. So, it isn't hard for me to understand that there is a type of rebirth, just not the type that seems to be explained by Karma.

Speaking of karma-- I have a hard time believing in it, as well. To me, it seems like another way of controlling human behavior. It is kind of like a God, in the way God supposedly punishes those who do wrong. It is an external force that one must answer to eventually.

Yes, I have much to learn. But those two things are where I get tripped up because it seems like blind faith to me, and I don't do blind faith very well.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @robot 'the round of rebirth'.. quite beautiful to read.
    chela said:

As a newbie, this rebirth thing is a sticking point for me. I have a difficult time believing it, maybe because I don't believe in souls (even though there is another thread that says Buddhists have no souls, so there lies more confusion). Or whatever that is in a living being that could go somewhere and be reborn. However, I do believe in energy that never dies-- a scientifically proven phenomena. So, it isn't hard for me to understand that there is a type of rebirth, just not the type that seems to be explained by Karma.

Speaking of karma-- I have a hard time believing in it, as well. To me, it seems like another way of controlling human behavior. It is kind of like a God, in the way God supposedly punishes those who do wrong. It is an external force that one must answer to eventually.

Yes, I have much to learn. But those two things are where I get tripped up because it seems like blind faith to me, and I don't do blind faith very well.

I've heard karma described in a few different ways @chela so be careful when you say you don't believe in it.

In it's simplest form it just means "actions". Therefore, it isn't something you believe or don't believe - it just is. I've also heard it described as our habits......then you get the hardcore buddhists who say if you steal money in this life you'll be poor in the next life....that I also find hard to believe.

It is a very complex topic and you'll possibly find (as I have) that as you practice more you'll drop the whole believe / don't believe and just sit with the uncertainty.

As for rebirth, you're right - buddhists don't believe in souls. All that is "re-born" is the conscious with the habits / mental grooves / stamps carried over from a previous life. No soul involved at all.....
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

As a newbie, this rebirth thing is a sticking point for me. I have a difficult time believing it, maybe because I don't believe in souls (even though there is another thread that says Buddhists have no souls, so there lies more confusion). Or whatever that is in a living being that could go somewhere and be reborn. However, I do believe in energy that never dies-- a scientifically proven phenomena. So, it isn't hard for me to understand that there is a type of rebirth, just not the type that seems to be explained by Karma.

One explanation that I've come across (quite frequently) is that there isn't an unchanging 'you' that gets reborn. Rather it's your mindstream which is reborn. Since the conditions could be quite different in your next birth, that consciousness could be very different than you are now. Karma ties into this since our karma is going to play a part in what kind of conditions we are born into.

Karma is cause and effect -- it's not controlled by anyone or anything, so it's not really reward and punishment. Your actions will always have consequences of some sort. This plays out all the time in life, but in Buddhist thought it also extends into future lives.

I hope this helps and that I didn't muck up too badly.

Bunksriverflow
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

I do believe in energy that never dies-- a scientifically proven phenomenon.

What happens to the energy produced by living things when they die? I've been wondering this.

• black_tea said:

One explanation that I've come across (quite frequently) is that there isn't an unchanging 'you' that gets reborn. Rather it's your mindstream which is reborn. Since the conditions could be quite different in your next birth, that consciousness could be very different than you are now. Karma ties into this since our karma is going to play a part in what kind of conditions we are born into.

Karma is cause and effect -- it's not controlled by anyone or anything, so it's not really reward and punishment. Your actions will always have consequences of some sort. This plays out all the time in life, but in Buddhist thought it also extends into future lives.

I hope this helps and that I didn't muck up too badly.

Great point! If we consider that chela's "energy" that doesn't "die" when the body dies could be something like a "mindstream" or "consciousness" (granted--consciousness is more than mere energy, but it could potentially attach to energy), then chela's dilemma would be solved.

But still, it's ok, chela--you don't have to believe in rebirth to be a Buddhist.

• Why shouldn't secular Buddhists weigh in on this?
    Secular Buddhists can believe in rebirth you know; and more traditional Buddhists might not. But we have been over that territory a zillions times, so....

Invincible_summer
  • Dakini said:

How many died on 9/11?

How many have died in various wars?
    How many die of AIDS?
    How many died in the tsunami event a few years ago?
    How many died during WWII?
    All those vast numbers of people (not to mention the animals that died during Katrina, WWII, etc.) get reborn.

Around 3,000 people tragically lost their lives in 9/11.

Significantly dwarfed by the other events - the 2004 tsunami is probably the next highest count at I think around 250,000 people and 2 million displaced.

The rest slide into millions and probably beyond.
  • @Dakini- what I was talking about is actually atoms. Atoms are actually not living, but they make up energy found in everything. So, when we die, "our" atoms continue to produce energy in other things. My explanation is not very scientific, but you get the point.

@black_tea-- I like your explanations, especially of karma. If it is simply the effect of a cause (intention or action), then I can certainly live with that.
  • The energy is consumed by micro-organisms and worms etc.

What we are talking about is the awareness continues onward. We have no evidence that awareness discontinues. And eventually when you have enough meditative understanding of awareness and the three times dissolve then you know that awareness is outside of time and space. The rebirth is also not bound by time and space so there is not like a backpack of karma that hops over to the next body.

The self is not the skhandas so rebirth neccessarily has nothing to do with bodies. The mental skhandas are also not the self and thus the mental skhandas have nothing to do with rebirth.

Zen has a saying "what is your face before you were born?" This points to the true self of bodhicitta. It is that which is reborn and apparently it also carries over distortions to the bodhicitta ie karma. I don't know why karma continues to affect the citta after death, but Buddha said that it is impossible to know everything about karma until we become a Buddha ourself.

I think it's important to know regardless of our ponderings such as mine ^ that there is more that we don't know than do know.

On topic: it is said that there are hugely more beings in the hell realm than the human. Not sure if that's from a sutra, just something I read somewhere from Tibetan Buddhist source. The reason is that it is so hard to get out of a hell realm due to it being a viscious circle. As a human who studies the dharma you are on the eightfold path and if you just keep on trucking eventually the virtuous cycle will take you to a high level of confidence and freedom from obstacles. Then the natural radiance and sensitivity of the mind is liberated.
    Bunks
    MaryAnne said:

Why shouldn't secular Buddhists weigh in on this?
    Secular Buddhists can believe in rebirth you know; and more traditional Buddhists might not. But we have been over that territory a zillions times, so....

Whoops! Sorry @MaryAnne.....that's the second time today I have put the little winking face (for me that means I am being silly and don't take what I say seriously) on a post and someone has taken it on the wrong way....

I think I'll stop doing it!
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Keep up the good work. You may need it in your next incarnation. Which for some of the faithless is a daily occurrence . . .
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Jeffrey said:

The energy is consumed by micro-organisms and worms etc.

No, those are the physical remains. If energy isn't destroyed, what happens to the life force when an organism dies? I would say that it just ceases to exist, the organism ceases to produce energy. But someone posted that energy is never "destroyed". If one minute, there's energy being created, and there's an energy field, and the next minute the organism's dead, what happens to that energy? @chela was implying it continues to exist after the organism's death, and that this has been scientifically proven.

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The energy is converted into heat thru decomposition. Or nutrients to provide energy for other organisms. Or it can lie in the ground like coal until the energy is released. Life force is contained in the physical components. That's the way it looks to me.
    Jeffrey
  • robot said:

The energy is converted into heat thru decomposition. Or nutrients to provide energy for other organisms. Or it can lie in the ground like coal until the energy is released. Life force is contained in the physical components. That's the way it looks to me.

hmm....

Is there a physicist or a biologist in the house?

• Looking for a scientist on a beginner Buddhism forum. Best of luck.
    While you wait for science to catch up, we pseudo scientists await their dicoveries . . .
    http://tmxxine.tumblr.com/quantumbiology

:wave:
  • Equating energy to life force is problematic.

I think whatever explanation makes you feel at ease is fine - we are nowhere near a universal solution (if there is such a thing).

Much depends on where you place the observer position - e.g. say you're standing waiting to cross the street - you could consider that from your own observer position as sensed through your natural senses unfolding along your experienced timeline - objects are solid, cause and effect holds, the light goes red cars stop and you cross to a green light and go on your way - or you could consider that from an atomic point of view - very different things going on - same things but different - or a subatomic level - crazy things happening now that barely have a relationship to reality etc.

We cling to mathematics but that is riddled with mysterious tangled assumptions - the foundation of some form of security is derived from practical application - mechanics builds bridges and statistics predicts trends for example - these tools have brought us fabulous material gains - turn to the masters of these tools - inevitably they profess to the deepest ignorances with coy smiles... everyone takes the fiction pill eventually - that is the threshold where chaos is held at bay - our little survival niche.

On a subatomic level, best guesses are a 'quantum foam' - like an all pervading base blanket, below which we are unable to observe - results at this level hint at some everlasting energy exchange mechanism - or that is (hopefully still) close to the current pit stop at least - on one level QM is very accurate at predicting results (more accurate than classical physics results) but on another level it doesn't incorporate gravity, time is still an issue and we're left in the dark in relation to 98% of the 'stuff' that must be around to make the equations balance.

On the other end, I've read papers on black holes and singularity - the challenge is that black holes (beyond the event horizon) seem to 'destroy' energy - the proposition is to consider energy more like data - this sort of means that the reality we perceive and observe is a few dimensions short of the whole deal! It is not energy sucked into a black hole, the data is left at the event horizon... so what the fimmigetty gets sucked in...? who knows... maybe the professor's brain and his lunch.

Meanwhile the universe expands ever onwards into something... or not, perhaps a multidimensional loop... or is it expanding forever, or contracting or just stable for a short while before it disappears?

If it makes you feel at ease knowing that energy is a constant then why not - it seems of little significance unless you're engaged in some practical application - the bridge may well collapse if the builders do not adequately grasp the level of mechanics for the required results but an observer need not know any maths to look upon the structure and put it to use.

I guess in this life, one needs to be prepared to accept that perhaps any idea rapidly degenerates - as does our very existence it would seem - for now anyway - I think... though I'm not all that sure...
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    He seems to say being born from the lower realms into the human realm is coincidence (AKA sea turtle) But a human being, being reborn as human being (or in higher realm), is due to virtue and wisdom.

"Then there is the case where a certain person refrains from taking life, refrains from taking what is not given, refrains from sensual misconduct, refrains from false speech, refrains from divisive speech, refrains from abusive speech, refrains from idle chatter, is not covetous, bears no ill will, and has right views. With the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of human beings (or devas).
    Dakini said:

If energy isn't destroyed, what happens to the life force when an organism dies? I would say that it just ceases to exist, the organism ceases to produce energy.

Seems to me that it would just stay in the food that the organism would have consumed to convert the food's energy into energy in the organism's body to begin with. So you could say that organisms don't actually produce energy, they just convert it from one form to another. For example, the sun converts energy from hydrogen via nuclear fusion. Plants convert energy from the sun via photosynthesis. Organisms that eat plants, convert the energy that the plant converted from the sun, etc, etc, etc.

Now if you want to ask "Well where does hydrogen come from". I don't know! :)
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Zero said:

Equating energy to life force is problematic.

I think whatever explanation makes you feel at ease is fine - we are nowhere near a universal solution (if there is such a thing).

Much depends on where you place the observer position - e.g. say you're standing waiting to cross the street - you could consider that from your own observer position as sensed through your natural senses unfolding along your experienced timeline - objects are solid, cause and effect holds, the light goes red cars stop and you cross to a green light and go on your way - or you could consider that from an atomic point of view - very different things going on - same things but different - or a subatomic level - crazy things happening now that barely have a relationship to reality etc.

So you're saying that something happening on a subatomic level has nothing to do with reality? So if you remove those subatomic level happenings, reality (as you know it) will still exist?

I'm tending to agree with @robot. Energy does exist in the living. That is how it is living. You can't have a living being without energy-- it doesn't work that way. But energy also exists in what we consider non-living. Like the air that blows through your hair, the rocks that break down over time, etc. This is why some belief systems (like American Indians, for example) believe that things in nature ARE alive. Many scientists say the universe is a living entity. Maybe our traditional idea of what life is isn't reality.

• @Bunks

No apology necessary! I totally missed your little winky-face! Maybe I need to use my reading glasses more often! ;-)
    Bunks
  • lobster said:

Keep up the good work. You may need it in your next incarnation. Which for some of the faithless is a daily occurrence . . .

:scratch: Lobster, could you please explain your infinite wisdom to me, a person who seems to be like a ghost wandering endlessly through time with nothing of importance to say?
  • @chela: This is something from a journal entry I wrote last year which relates to what you are saying:

The English word ‘animation’ comes from the Latin anima. The word literally means mind or soul—but also correlates with the Greek pneuma which literally means breath. Pneuma is often translated ‘spirit,’ sometimes more misleadingly as ‘ghost.’ The Hebrew ruach comes down to the same thing. The obvious metaphorical connection is that a living thing breathes. And so in Genesis, the ‘Spirit of God’ (literally, his ‘breath’) ‘hovered above the waters.’ Also, God breathes life into Adam.

In early Hebraic religion, the metaphysical notion of an immortal soul is a later post-Babylonian captivity development. Prior to that, it did not even occur to the Hebrews to be concerned with an afterlife. During Jesus’ day, it was the Saduccees, not the Pharisees, who were the religious conservatives: they did not believe in an afterlife. In Christianity this idea has its roots more in Plato than it does the Bible (I still think the term ‘Greco-Christian’ makes more sense than ‘Judeo-Christian’).

As a result of this Platonising tendency, via Christianity, westerners have a peculiar relationship with matter: material, ‘flesh’ is inferior to the ‘spirit.’ All the western philosophical quandaries came about because of this divide between matter and spirit. Even today, consciously or not, we have inherited this unfortunate habit of demeaning matter. We long for something else—and we call that ‘something else’ a ‘soul,’ or a ‘spirit’ which is ‘immortal’ and can exist entirely separately from material.

But there is another possibility that does not rely on a metaphysical divorce between mind and matter: What if this breath, this spirit, this thing called ‘life’ was not a metaphysical, otherworldly ‘substance,’ but the very unique and unrepeatable inter-relationship between organic compounds? I therefore do not exist as an essentialised entity with a Platonic ‘soul,’ but as a relational entity—‘I’ am this very animation going on in between a complex structure of organic molecules. If so, then ‘I’ am a relational activity, not a metaphysical essence. And this interaction extends indefinitely beyond the collection of molecules I name as ‘myself.’ Realising this, ‘I’ am not separate from everything else but seamlessly integrated into a more vast relational activity.

This particular kind of materialist view doesn’t turn the world or oneself into a mere cold machine, but rather makes the material world itself ‘holy,’ without the need to veer of into misguided metaphysics. And this then circles back another interesting etymological connection—the word ‘matter’ is derived from the Latin word mater: ‘mother.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What this also means is that every action, word and thought that we engage in has consequences that ripple ever outward to others in who knows what ways. The point is that whatever this 'I' thing is, it isn't a thing at all, but a relational activity that myriad causes and conditions converge upon. 'Relationality' is just another way of saying 'emptiness.'

The best analogy I think is of a vast ocean and you and I and every 'thing' are the waves which rise and fall in perpetual flux. Every wave affects every other wave--even a wave on the other side of the ocean has an effect, whether we are aware of it or not. Every wave in this sense contains all the waves and all the ocean. We tend to think more rigidly, where each thing is a discrete unit independently existing from every other discrete unit. I don't think we realise just how deeply embedded this metaphysical delusion is within our minds, but it is the cause of so many problems because we tend to see ourselves as fragments grinding against other fragments, causing friction and suffering-- at root it is 'ontological violence' that gives rise to all forms of violence.

[apologies for the longish post]
    robotchela
  • @riverflow THANK YOU. It's as if you are in my mind and you so beautifully said that which I couldn't find the words for. Your analogy of an ocean is EXACTLY how I think of life (or rather, our existence along with the existence of everything, everywhere). I often think of the ripples I see when a drop of water falls into my daughter's bath, or a rain puddle; or when a fish jumps in a pond or a dragonfly lands upon the surface. All of our actions (and our thoughts, before the actions) affect everything, whether we see it or not. It is all connected, and I think it is connected in profound ways.

I think there is a possibility that our "need" to hold the idea of a soul above our physical body (matter) is because we see so much suffering that we psychologically can't handle it. But, I see Buddha's teachings as a way to transcend that, to change our perception-- to lessen the fear and to put living and dying on the same playing field. To accept suffering instead of running away from it. It makes life and death a whole instead of an either/or.

Thank you so much for your post.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Bunks said:

Did the buddha say it was a coincidence that we come back as a human or that it was due to virtuous deeds?

In the suttas beings are described as re-appearing in various realms ( including the human realm ) according to their actions, ie kamma. And birth into the human realm is considered to be auspicious.

• chela said:

So you're saying that something happening on a subatomic level has nothing to do with reality?

So if you remove those subatomic level happenings, reality (as you know it) will still exist?

No - I think in that context I'm saying subatomic theories do not fit with macro theories.

'Removing' them is a challenge in itself! interesting proposition though...
  • @zero I think there is a possibility that theories can coexist together, as part of each other, depending on perspective. I'm just saying it's a possibility, not that I understand enough to prove it (and maybe you understand enough to disprove it, in theory).

Also, could someone please point me to teachings that discuss the realms? I fear that I will not know enough of anything to intelligently discuss anything before my life is over.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    chela said:

So you're saying that something happening on a subatomic level has nothing to do with reality?

I think it's more there are different rules for different scales. At the sub-atomic level the rules of quantum mechanics apply, at our level the rules of Newtonian mechanics apply.
  • Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

No, those are the physical remains. If energy isn't destroyed, what happens to the life force when an organism dies? I would say that it just ceases to exist, the organism ceases to produce energy. But someone posted that energy is never "destroyed". If one minute, there's energy being created, and there's an energy field, and the next minute the organism's dead, what happens to that energy? @chela was implying it continues to exist after the organism's death, and that this has been scientifically proven.

I meant the energy in the chemical bonds. That energy goes into worm food etc.. The heat of the body goes into the environment. Not sure what other energy there is?
  • Jeffrey said:

Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

I meant the energy in the chemical bonds. That energy goes into worm food etc.. The heat of the body goes into the environment. Not sure what other energy there is?
    Yes, the atoms that make up the energy that make something living, those atoms do not cease to exist just because the body of the deceased has been decomposed. The atoms of that deceased body continue to exist in other ways. That's what I meant. I'm not talking about something metaphysical, I'm talking about something scientific. It seems that we hold on to this idea that something that we can't actually prove, something that we simply have faith in, is more "magical" and more important, and more REAL than something that we can actually prove. What is more exciting and more real than knowing that the energy which you have in you right now is scientifically proven to continue to exist even when your physical body is gone? It is magical and yet it is real. We don't have to disconnect the two-- they can coexist. That's my point-- we are always looking for something that we can't prove...isn't it grasping for something? Can't we just be happy with what we know, right now?
  • robot said:

Looking for a scientist on a beginner Buddhism forum. Best of luck.

Why? Buddhism isn't like some other religions, that are anti-evolution, and anti-science. I live near a national science lab, and one of the physicists teaches meditation at one of the local Tibetan Buddhist centers. It's not at all unusual to encounter scientists among practitioners of Buddhism.

chela
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

Yes, the atoms that make up the energy that make something living, those atoms do not cease to exist just because the body of the deceased has been decomposed. The atoms of that deceased body continue to exist in other ways.

What about the energy the body was making to power itself? What happens to that when the body expires? I thought this was what you were originally referring to.

• Thank you, @chela. I have come across the ocean/wave analogy before--in Huayen literature I think...? The image has resonated with me ever since I first came across it.

• Dakini said:

What about the energy the body was making to power itself? What happens to that when the body expires? I thought this was what you were originally referring to.

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean. There is no distinction between types of energy. Energy is just energy.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Dakini said:

chela said:

Yes, the atoms that make up the energy that make something living, those atoms do not cease to exist just because the body of the deceased has been decomposed. The atoms of that deceased body continue to exist in other ways.

The body uses ATP as energy currency. When energy is needed ATP reacts to form ADP and this powers reactions in the body. The body makes the ATP by breaking down food/glucose, I think it's called the krebs cycle. Eventually oxygen plays it's part via the electron transport chain and even more ATP.

When you die the heart stops pumping oxygen to the cells so the energy production stops.

The body produces energy only because it is taking food and oxygen from outside the system thus injecting energy. When the body breaks down it releases all the energy that ATP used to build up a highly ordered structured body. That body could only be sustained by food and oxygen coming into the system.

From the universes perspective the homeostasis of the body reduces entropy and forms order. But the heat released in the homeostasis means that the universe still gets more entropy from a living thing.

a chemical reaction occurs if delta G is negative (and the activation barrier has to occur, like a match to start burning of wood).

delta G = delta H - TdeltaS

H is enthalpy, usually bonds potential energy.. when the bond breaks it releases energy... different types of bonds hold different energies.

S is entropy or randomness. Reactions that cause more randomness is favorable to have a negative delta G

T is temperature. The higher the temperature the more prone to randomness a system is.

The universe is always getting more random. At the extreme it will all be a mess of particles bouncing around randomly.

chela
  • Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

What happens to fire after the wood turns to ash? Or it runs out of oxygen?
  • This is along the lines of my thinking about this topic, except my ideas have been a lot more vague since I am not a scientist. This excerpt is from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lanza/why-youre-alive-and-can-n_b_660552.html

Physics tells us that energy is never lost, and that our brains -- and hence the feeling of life -- operates by electrical energy, and this energy simply can't vanish. The biocentric view of the timeless, spaceless world allows for no true death in any real sense. Immortality resides outside of time altogether. Eastern religions have argued for millennia that birth and death are equally illusory. Since consciousness transcends the body -− "external" is a distinction of language alone −- we're left with consciousness as the bedrock of existence. Death has always meant only one thing: an end with no reprieve. If we're just our body, then we must die. But if we're our consciousness, the sense of experience, then we can't die for the simple reason that consciousness is expressed in manifold fashion and is ultimately unconfined.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Bunks said:

There are certainly suttas that suggest our actions influence our experience and that skillful actions lead to fortunate births, whether you choose to take it figuratively (as in mental states, social standing, etc.) or literally. See MN 41, for one example.

Since rebirth is influenced by the results of both past and present actions that stretch back countless lifetimes, however, one can't really say that one particular action will lead to one place or experience rather than another as each being has a wide array of kamma that can potentially express itself when the conditions present themselves (which itself depends on factors external to the individual), hence the difficulty in determining the precise working out of the results of kamma (AN 4.77). And that goes double if you take into account the different types of kamma mentioned in the commentarial literature.
    Bunks said:

I am interested to know why there are 7 billion people on the planet now as opposed to say 20 million (a guesstimate) in the Buddha's time. From a biological stand point the answer is obvious, but what is the explanation from a buddhist point of view?

Well, from one perspective, I'd say that the explanation from a Buddhist point of view is the same as the explanation from a biological standpoint, which is fairly obvious. In terms of the number of beings present in the 'human realm,' however, a number of things can account for the increase. One is that a large number of beings from other realms are being born into the human realm at roughly the same time. Another thing to consider is that the Buddha never said there were a set number of beings in this 'ten thousandfold world system,' so it's quite possible that new beings are continually being born.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    robot said:

Dakini said:

It's not coincidence. One gains a precious human rebirth because one did something (or a lot of things) right in past lives.

How do we ignore these words from the Buddha? What have I missed here?

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"
    SN 56.48 is interesting in that it does seem to suggest human births are rare and 'sheer coincidence.' But the context should also be kept in mind, in my opinion, which is to not be complacent and use one's time here wisely since one can't guarantee that future conditions will always be as favourable. In essence, I see it as a motivational speech, particularly since the definition of the Pali term denoting humans, manussa, means 'those who have an uplifted or developed mind' (mano ussannam etesam). So for me, the moral of this sutta is, since obtaining a "human state" (i.e., an uplifted mind motivated to practicing Dhamma) in this life is such a rare thing (SN 6.1, AN 9.41), don't waste this chance.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Jeffrey said:

When the body breaks down it releases all the energy that ATP used to build up a highly ordered structured body.

Exactly. This is what we're trying to get at. So the body releases the energy it was producing? Where does that released energy go? Does consciousness bind to that energy? Or could it?

If "physics tells us that ...our brain operates on electrical energy...and that energy simply can't vanish", then what happens to it? Is this really what physics tells us, or is this some kind of misrepresentation? btw, any anatomy and physiology class tells you that the body (which includes the brain, also the heart) operates on electrical energy. I'm not sure that energy "goes" anywhere. The body just ceases to produce it anymore.

?
    :scratch:

you don't have to believe in rebirth to be a Buddhist
    and I don't . . .

Cut neural activity and the mind has less consciousness, we call this sleep.
    No arm and I don't expect to wave. No brain and I don't expect to be thinking.

However, we do during life, arise or incarnate continually in an ever changing but dependent arising. Like one moments candle, lighting the next flame . . .

It is also possible that our entanglement with life, effects or gives being to others incarnation. In other words our being is borne in them . . .

It is also possible that quantum tunnelling and other yet to be discovered mechanisms are operating in other branes (dimensions). These may give us insight into a possible reemergence or continuation of consciousness. However we need evidence that has yet to arise.

:wave:
    chela