Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So...dealing with anger and hatred - from a very hate filled person

So you may remember me from the introduction thread.

I am a proud ecowarrior and animal rights activist, and have been since I was a little child; my parents brought me up this way as they are both Greenpeace hippies. An example of my activism ranges from applying to crew with Sea Shepherd, heading out to Africa to be part of an anti poaching squad to simply promoting no kill shelters in my community.

Now the bigger issue. When it come to the planet and animals, I am overly compassionate sometimes. I have been known to shed tears for road kill such as moose on the side of the road, I have also starred into the eyes of buffalos trying to apologize for what we did to their species back in the day. being 30 year old male, this kind of behaviour isn't easy to admit in a world of masculinity, but its me. However, I am extremely the opposite towards humans. Apart from a few, all I see is the destruction to the planet they have caused, and the degradation and cruelty inflicted on innocent animals across the globe; when I think of it, I literally get short of breath and it feels like I cant breath. I am ashamed of the human race most of the time, and find very little, or very few positive things to sat about us. Most people annoy me, even family. For example, my sister is married to a man I hate, who treats her badly, and my parents badly, his behaviour has wore off on my sister and her behaviour is now horrid towards our parents. Rather than trying to help her and talk to her, I have simply just cut her off, and now haven't spoke to her in 2 years...the sad part...I don't care. Rather than seeing my sister, all I see is yet another failure and disappointment of a human being.

What brings me to buddhism? My wife is convinced there is a good person in me due to my respect and unconditional love for the planet and its animals, so she, even though a devout Catholic, asked me to look into it (yes I sometimes wonder if she is an angel lol). I have always admired HHDL as he is who I wish I could be, but know I could never be compassionate to those fuelled with so much hate and disrespect for the planet.

Maybe buddhism can't help me, maybe it can, but I have know idea how to love and respect a species such as us, when I spend most of my time apologizing to other species of the barbaric treatment we have inflicted upon them.

I often think those who inflict such tragic actions upon sentiment being, will reborn as one and will discover what it was like in their shoes..

If anyone can offer any words of wisdom or advice on how someone like me can put hate behind them, and move forward I would appreciate it. Is it as simply doing one skilful act a day and slowly every week adding another? How should I deal with hateful thoughts that creep into my mind... For example, the news story the other day told a story of a boy killing a dog with a bow and arrow...instantly negative thoughts entered my mind, thoughts of hatred, and rage and contempt, how does someone like me stop these thoughts, and more importantly, why should someone like that deserve positive thoughts??

I hope I am not a lost cause...and hope someone can shed some light on how i can even begin to move forward.

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Rest your mind and begin to meditate
    LookingforPeace
  • The Practices of Buddhism help. Buddhism itself is just there.

I would say kriya yoga but also visit a zen center the teacher and sangha will offer support in such a manner the Internet cannot.

Fill yourself with positive things obviously television isn't very positive. Start a greenhouse they can be made fairly cheap with pcb and polycarbonite to cover then one of the easiest ways to grow is hydroponically.

Listen to moving still water by Ajahn chah

Mindful practice is the only practice.
    LookingforPeace
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2013

If anyone can offer any words of wisdom or advice on how someone like me can put hate behind them, and move forward I would appreciate it.

Okay, you can't hate and be happy at the same time; you just can't. If you're sat hating something/someone/some organisation, you're just not happy. You can't enjoy even something simple like music when you're in this mind state. And not only that, you can't love properly either; your hatred for someone/others will spill over and affect the relationship with those you should be loving.

Not only that, you're giving those you hate 'headspace'; in a real sense you're letting them control your happiness. Overcoming your hatred for others isn't some fluffy 'Buddhist' ideal 'cos we all like to hold hands and sing songs, it can feel like it's manning up and taking control of ourselves, rather than being controlled by others.

From my own experience, I only became willing to change in a positive sense when the way I was caused me enough pain; I am lucky enough to be an alcoholic so for me it was change or die. I chose change and it's a life long practise (I'm speaking for myself here; there could be a couple of Buddha's on this site for all I know!! :p ).

Anyway, Buddhism offers lots of advice in this area; I'd suggest you start with some internet reading or Ajahn Brahm's talks are very popular.

Here's an example:

There's 100's of them though!

Good luck.

blu3reeLookingforPeacechelaTheswingisyellow
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Buddhism is not as quick fix. It is not something that once you "adopt" it, then everything will get better. It is what you do with the applied practices and self insight through meditation that will make a difference. And, even then, it will more than likely take a good while. Just give it time and see if there any change.

Also, I feel as if you focus a lot on the negative when there is no need to. Yes, there is a lot of bad in the world. Poverty, famine, animal cruelty, etc. These, unfortunately, are a part of the world we live in and, as sad as it is, we probably will not save it in our lifetime. What we can do, however, is know that there is good in the world. Whether small or great. And with these shreds of goodness, we can work to build for a better tomorrow.
    LookingforPeaceBhanteLucky
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I know this sounds a bit pessimistic, but I sometimes think that having no expectations or hope for the human race helps with misanthropy.

If you don't have high hopes for humans to "evolve" out of our ways, or if you don't have expectations of how humans "should" act, then there's no conflict between their actions and your mind.

That's not to say that a boy killing a dog with a bow and arrow for fun is a good thing or that you shouldn't care. I guess it's more about focusing on your own ability to act compassionately and what actions you can take in your own life to change the suffering that you see, rather than focusing on how others are not doing that.
    LookingforPeacekarastiJeffrey
  • Where did you learn to be so angry?

This angry mind does not come natural to people. Someone taught you to be this way, or something that happened in your life.
    DaftChris
  • Animals are easy to love... They are perfect. Man however is a lifetime of work
    MaryAnneVastmindInvincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2013
    People who are hurting....hurt other people and animals.
    Even in activism....keep a little piece of compassion in your
    heart for the 'other' person. They must feel very hurt and
    disconnected inside.

Don't be againest something.....be for something.
    The feeling of helplessness can fester into anger...a wise
    man on this very forum once taught me that, instead of
    thinking..."Oh...I can't help", think..."IT can't be helped".
    It helps release the fear/guilt/hopelessness about alot
    of situations,human or otherwise, that you can't do anything about.

Sorry...I didn't say Hi on your intro thread....Hi! :)
  • I hope I am not a lost cause...and hope someone can shed some light on how i can even begin to move forward.
    When animals are wounded or frightened, they lash out. We humans are often wounded and frightened creatures. We are far more dangerous and therefore require far more compassion. Your compassion is a good way into Buddhism.

may all beings benefit :wave:
    Invincible_summerriverflow
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited February 2013
    First, you have to decide which one of your wolves you want to be: the angry wolf or the content, peaceful wolf. Then, when you have envisioned the wolf you wan to be, you must feed ONLY this wolf, NOT the other wolf. Over time and with lots of feeding, you will see the wolf you want to become taking over more of you. The other wolf will still be there, so you've got to be careful that you're not feeding him so that he becomes weak and small and in the background.

I have recommended this on a hundred threads so far, so why not another one: the book, Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh. I also recommend the film The Buddha (which I think is on Netflix or you can get for free at your local library), which will nicely show the story of how the Buddha came to be and what Buddhism is about, in a nutshell. At this stage, you should surround yourself with teachings about peace and compassion, and don't be concerned about the seemingly infinite number of "types" of Buddhist practices (it can get confusing and you will work all of that out in time, no need to rush). If you are going to go to check out a temple or center, you might start with a non-sectarian center so as to keep it simple, but that's completely up to you.

As far as practicing compassion, I might suggest starting with young children. I work with toddlers, and they really love animals and haven't had enough time to develop a lot of fear, hatred, and neurosis. It might be helpful for you to start there and see how people are before they develop the ugly behaviors. If there was some way that you could bring an animal into a preschool setting, and allow it to be an educational experience, I think you'd be surprised at how beautiful these small people respond to animals once they are shown the right way to see things. I think it could be a therapeutic experience for you, to help you see that people really aren't inherently bad-- they aren't born that way (with possible rare exception). This might allow you to find compassion for older people, knowing that things have happened to them that have influenced them in ways that they aren't able to control (or don't know how to). Anyway, that's just one idea that might help you connect with people again.

And don't forget to work a meditation practice into EVERY DAY!
  • So you may remember me from the introduction thread.

I am a proud ecowarrior and animal rights activist, and have been since I was a little child; my parents brought me up this way as they are both Greenpeace hippies. An example of my activism ranges from applying to crew with Sea Shepherd, heading out to Africa to be part of an anti poaching squad to simply promoting no kill shelters in my community.

Now the bigger issue. When it come to the planet and animals, I am overly compassionate sometimes. I have been known to shed tears for road kill such as moose on the side of the road, I have also starred into the eyes of buffalos trying to apologize for what we did to their species back in the day. being 30 year old male, this kind of behaviour isn't easy to admit in a world of masculinity, but its me. However, I am extremely the opposite towards humans. Apart from a few, all I see is the destruction to the planet they have caused, and the degradation and cruelty inflicted on innocent animals across the globe; when I think of it, I literally get short of breath and it feels like I cant breath. I am ashamed of the human race most of the time, and find very little, or very few positive things to sat about us. Most people annoy me, even family. For example, my sister is married to a man I hate, who treats her badly, and my parents badly, his behaviour has wore off on my sister and her behaviour is now horrid towards our parents. Rather than trying to help her and talk to her, I have simply just cut her off, and now haven't spoke to her in 2 years...the sad part...I don't care. Rather than seeing my sister, all I see is yet another failure and disappointment of a human being.

What brings me to buddhism? My wife is convinced there is a good person in me due to my respect and unconditional love for the planet and its animals, so she, even though a devout Catholic, asked me to look into it (yes I sometimes wonder if she is an angel lol). I have always admired HHDL as he is who I wish I could be, but know I could never be compassionate to those fuelled with so much hate and disrespect for the planet.

Maybe buddhism can't help me, maybe it can, but I have know idea how to love and respect a species such as us, when I spend most of my time apologizing to other species of the barbaric treatment we have inflicted upon them.

I often think those who inflict such tragic actions upon sentiment being, will reborn as one and will discover what it was like in their shoes..

If anyone can offer any words of wisdom or advice on how someone like me can put hate behind them, and move forward I would appreciate it. Is it as simply doing one skilful act a day and slowly every week adding another? How should I deal with hateful thoughts that creep into my mind... For example, the news story the other day told a story of a boy killing a dog with a bow and arrow...instantly negative thoughts entered my mind, thoughts of hatred, and rage and contempt, how does someone like me stop these thoughts, and more importantly, why should someone like that deserve positive thoughts??

I hope I am not a lost cause...and hope someone can shed some light on how i can even begin to move forward.

Of course, if you have compassion for animals, then you have hope yet. If only you see hateful humans as some kind of animals, you'd probably love them to death. The next time when your family members, neighbours etc irk you; look at them deeply and see them as some kind of hissing thoughtless, brainless hyenas. Your compassion will arise then. No? The mindset can't be changed? Then, Buddhism probably can't help.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Call Me by My True Names

Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
    because even today I still arrive.

Look deeply: I arrive in every second
    to be a bud on a spring branch,
    to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
    learning to sing in my new nest,
    to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
    to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
    in order to fear and to hope.
    The rhythm of my heart is the birth and
    death of all that are alive.

I am the mayfly metamorphosing on the surface of the river,
    and I am the bird which, when spring comes, arrives in time
    to eat the mayfly.

I am the frog swimming happily in the clear pond,
    and I am also the grass-snake who, approaching in silence,
    feeds itself on the frog.

I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones,
    my legs as thin as bamboo sticks,
    and I am the arms merchant, selling deadly weapons to
    Uganda.

I am the twelve-year-old girl, refugee on a small boat,
    who throws herself into the ocean after being raped by a sea
    pirate,
    and I am the pirate, my heart not yet capable of seeing and
    loving.

I am a member of the politburo, with plenty of power in my
    hands,
    and I am the man who has to pay his "debt of blood" to, my
    people,
    dying slowly in a forced labor camp.

My joy is like spring, so warm it makes flowers bloom in all
    walks of life.
    My pain is like a river of tears, so full it fills the four oceans.

Please call me by my true names,
    so I can hear all my cries and laughs at once,
    so I can see that my joy and pain are one.

Please call me by my true names,
    so I can wake up,
    and so the door of my heart can be left open,
    the door of compassion.

Thich Nhat Hanh

riverflowFireSongJeffreyTheswingisyellow
  • Try this teaching by HE Tsem Rinpoche
    http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/inspiration-worthy-words/avoidance.html

Here is an excerpt:
    When you create the karma not to like or avoid others, then it only increases our propensity not to like others more in the future. As our propensity not to like others is triggered, in the future, more and more we become easily frustrated with people. Our trigger points also increases. That would add to the tally of how many people we will not like as time goes on. The number of people we dislike will only increase in time leaving us alone, unhappy, angersome or bitter. Projects also go unfulfilled as a result. Everyone is not good enough and unattractive we start to believe creating more anger. Anger is a clear sign we are thinking the wrong way. If the way we think is correct, we would be at peace, do our responsibilities and progress wouldn’t we? That is a state a mind we deserve as we created this situation. So if we avoid responsibilities because we don’t like certain people, then the amount of people we will not like will only rise and increase. See for yourself. See your own track record and see the many examples out there. As you get older, do you like others more or less? Your anger will increase also is a given. Your anger to stop you from doing more will increase. Your justifications will increase to cover the anger. You will look for avenues of escape also more and more so when there is no escape. Whatever country you go trekking in, or planet you travel to or dimension you tele-transport into, you will experience the same results as karmic habituations are very loyal unfortunately. Karmic results are the only thing we cannot leave behind when we travel, visit another place or pass away. Then you have to avoid more people or situations as time goes on because you have kept your anger. It’s nice to be away and be surrounded by nice waiters, nice hotel staff, nice tour guides etc…but that is delusionary. They are not nice to you, but to the business you bring them. People will be nice to you for monetary reasons everywhere even at home, so why not just deal with the anger and move forward at home first. If you overcome the anger, they will like you for more than your monetary gifts. How satisfying would that be? - See more at: http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/inspiration-worthy-words/avoidance.html

cazJeffreySilouan
  • chelachela Veteran
    @Gui- I recently read that poem and it brought me to tears. It is just as powerful the second time around.
  • Firstly, thank you al for your answers, help, advice and posts. I appreciate them all. I decided, as I have the house to myself, that tomorrow I will attempt my first short meditation. After which, hopefully with a clearer mind, i will re-read these comments you have all left, and see where i end up.

I am trying to squash my hatred and anger. I don't know if this is a "good start" or not, but at work to guys who i work with started talking about their up coming hunting trip....rather than listening and slowly becoming rage filled at their existence, I instantly removed myself, i walked outside, and watched the winter birds scavenging for food. This led me to sharing some of my bread from my sandwich with them, ultimately i felt a lot better...

I thank you all for taking the time to talk with me here!
    riverflowlobsterToshTheswingisyellow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Start a meditation practice. When a thought comes up feel the texture and energy without ruminating stories. Sit with the feeling and thought and put part of your awareness on your body. You can feel your breathing for example. Pay each thought attention but yet know that they are just thinking.
  • i walked outside, and watched the winter birds scavenging for food
    How wonderful.
    It sounds patronising but really and truly, every step one of us makes, we all share. :clap:
    Theswingisyellow
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I think it is much easier to have compassion for animals because we more readily accept their conditioning as something they are pretty much stuck in, and despite our own short comings we tend to expect more from others than ourselves because we are too concerned with the plank in their eye instead of our own.

If we set a time at the end of the day to honestly examine our own actions we will eventually begin to realize that we suffer from the very same conditioning and have our own habitual patterns that are actually quite sticky and keeps reoccurring in our lives. In this way we can start to learn to share in the suffering of others as brothers and sisters, and that is the dawning of compassion.

I remember a story where the Dalai Lama recalled when he asked a monk ,who had been imprisoned by the Chinese government, if he was in any danger, meaning physical harm, but the monk replied, “Yes, I was in danger of loosing my compassion for the Chinese.”
    riverflowInvincible_summerlobster