Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is sexual orientation an "ego-based notion of self"?

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
An excerpt from the book I'm currently reading, Sex, Sin, and Zen by Brad Warner:
"Please understand that I have no difficulty with any of the ways people choose to define themselves in terms of gender, sexual orientation, or whatever other factors we use to enhance our ego-based notions of self. I understand the social usefulness of these new ways of defining ourselves, and I'm not against them in any way. Others have written about that subject far more eloquently than I ever could. It's just that I personally don't have a whole lot of interest in ego-based notions of self. But who you choose to fuck and how you choose to do it, well, that's none of my business or anyone else's other than the people you fuck."
It's interesting to me because he seems to get it when the says things like how he understands the 'social usefulness', and yet, he continues to insult by calling it 'ego-based notions of the self'. He says it several times over a few paragraphs that he's not against it, he just doesn't care... and yet... he wrote an entire book about sex (obviously heterosexual), so clearly he does care. He just doesn't seem to recognize that homosexuality is just the same as heterosexuality. That by coming out and saying, "I'm gay" it doesn't mean the same as, "I am a football enthusiast with blonde hair and I scored straight As in high school." It's just that as a minority, you're constantly forced to bring attention to your differences, whether you want to or not. Most of my days I just go about life feeling pretty normal until someone else reminds me that I am a minority, and yes, society wants a label. If I identify as a lesbian, it's not to enhance my ego and give me an identity, it's just calling a spade a spade. I am attracted to the ladies, thus, lesbian.

But maybe it's just my ego-based notion of the self getting all offended, haha. Just kidding, I'm not really offended... Just wondering what other people think about his comment. I have this weird love/hate relationship with Brad Warner because I find him very refreshing and candid, but also kind of self-absorbed at times. But maybe he's just a few steps ahead of me because I do have to frequently step back and wonder how much I'm simply projecting and how much is really him just stroking his ego.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Fundamentally, all we ever say to 'describe' "What" we are - is simply a label.

Cousin - lesbian.

What's the difference?

What we happen to be, does not define 'Who' we are.
    'What' - is ego - small 'e'.
    ego simply means 'self'

Ego is aggrandisement of Self.... if you see where I'm coming from.... ;)

'Who' is the real discovery....
    ZenshinzombiegirlInvincible_summer
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    He has a point as do you @Zombiegirl.

It seems to me that he comes from the POV of wishing to abandon attachment to the Self concept in the scope of abandoning suffering, Seeing how well our mind reacts to perceived abuse is a good way of testing the strength of its Delusion as a lesbian you have a good opportunity to use difficult circumstances such as abuse and bigotry to undermine the Delusion of self cherishing and Self grasping by applying the appropriate methods for doing such.
    zombiegirl
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Sounds like something inelegantly stated. I have not read the book, leave alone the chapter, and thus cannot speak to his overall meaning. Sounds like this paragraph would have also jumped out at me. I read his blog off and on, and I like his attitude and a lot of what he has to say while having a different understanding on some issues. This might be one of them.

I define myself, as you do, in terms enforced by society because there is no other yardstick. In the world of opposites, we have to have some yardstick to compare ourselves to. But, it is society that defines us as much as ourselves, and as social animals how people see us has as much or even more effect on our lives as how we see ourselves. Brad is an individualist who doesn't care about how other people see him. That's him doing his own thing and he knows in absolute or Zen terms, how you define yourself or how other people define you is irrelevant. Getting people to comprehend that is a big part of his teaching Zen.

But if people start defining him as a fake or insane or crook and stop buying his books or contributing to his website and supporting his teaching mission, and this ego-based definition immediately becomes relevant. In the real world, your sexual orientation is relevant because society insists it is. That's not ego, that's survival.

"What am I?" Well, I either am or am not disabled. I either am or am not homeless. I either am or am not heterosexual. I either "am or am not" a whole lot of things, but these are all relative to how other people define a person. That's as much social as individual ego-based.

Certainly it's all relative, but that doesn't mean it's invalid or wrong, only relative instead of absolute. Ultimate emptiness does not mean form doesn't exist or isn't valid. That's a common mistake in Zen and even someone wise like Brad Warner can get tripped up on it sometimes when trying to talk about Zen attitudes using language designed for absolute thinking. I probably made a bunch of mistakes just in this one post, where what I really meant isn't what came out.

zombiegirlchela
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps I should have asked, are all forms of sexual orientation (gay, straight, or otherwise) forms of an 'ego-based notion of the self'?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Yes. And ego in this context is not perjorative. Its simply a recognition that ego is western term for a particular kind of self defining activity, not some kind of essential self.

Perhaps I should have asked, are all forms of sexual orientation (gay, straight, or otherwise) forms of an 'ego-based notion of the self'?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Well, you could say that from a zen masters point of view, anything that begins with "I am" is an "'ego-based notion of the self'". This would include I am white, I am black, I am American, I am Canadian, I am Asian, I am gay, I am not gay, etc, etc, etc.

Of course I don't think he is talking about the simple definition of "I am American" or "I am gay" as simply being "an American citizen" or "person who is attracted to the same sex" but rather the idea of "I am American" or "I am gay" that creates a separation between self and other. An idea that excludes others from "your group" and sets them apart. You could say that anything that creates this artificial idea of separation is a ego-based notion of the self. For people who are homophobic, their sexual orientation, even though it is heterosexual, is certainly an ego-based notion of self.

Reminds me of an interview I happened to see once, with comedian Richard Pryor, and a story he told about an old black guy who was working as a janitor at a comedy club he was doing a show at. Right before he was about to go on stage, the old black janitor guy said to him "Hey man, how you feeling?" Richard responded "Black!" The old guy said "Don't worry, you'll get over it". This is the type of "I am" that Brad is talking about IMO. :)
    personlobster
  • Well I would consider my self a pale black, an able bodied cripple and a woman with hormonal and appendage issues.
    In other words, I can define but not be seperate.
    I am a tee totaller drug user, a criminal going straight, a Buddha gone to z z z

Now it would be strange if I looked in the mirror and asked who the hell is that? So identity is very much based on experience.

It is important to know who you are but who you are is not important. By that I mean, to identify with a sexual orientation is clearly a normal body based instinct. It may be important for a while, eventually like Richard Pryor you may get over the non essential but then what would we laugh about?

:wave:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I love the taste of water melon. Is that ego? Or is it just how my brain is wired up?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Define ego.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Citta said:

Define ego.

Everything I think, say, or type.

Added a little later: actually, thinking about it, I don't think I'm correct because while meditating, thoughts just appear! Can my ego be something that just appears out of nowhere?

I dunno. Ignore me.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    You see there is a problem when we use a term like ego, which is purely a concept from western psychology, and apply it to Buddhist teachings...it just doesn't fit.
    Not that this stops anyone... :)
    Can I suggest looking up the skandhas and seeing whether the concept of " ego " is compatible ?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Weird stuff! More like alter-ego, I'd say. Sexuality has Nothing to do with Ego; it's shedding skin to embrace a differentness and/or intimateness, so to speak.

The guy needs to turn off the old rundown thinking machine a bit longer and unwind in more reasonable meditations. To paraphrase ee cummings:

All that isn't singing is mere stinking and all thinking's merely stinking to oneself (and reeking to others).

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013

An excerpt from the book I'm currently reading, Sex, Sin, and Zen by Brad Warner:

"Please understand that I have no difficulty with any of the ways people choose to define themselves in terms of gender, sexual orientation, or whatever other factors we use to enhance our ego-based notions of self. I understand the social usefulness of these new ways of defining ourselves, and I'm not against them in any way. Others have written about that subject far more eloquently than I ever could. It's just that I personally don't have a whole lot of interest in ego-based notions of self. But who you choose to fuck and how you choose to do it, well, that's none of my business or anyone else's other than the people you fuck."
    It's interesting to me because he seems to get it when the says things like how he understands the 'social usefulness', and yet, he continues to insult by calling it 'ego-based notions of the self'. He says it several times over a few paragraphs that he's not against it, he just doesn't care... and yet... he wrote an entire book about sex (obviously heterosexual), so clearly he does care. He just doesn't seem to recognize that homosexuality is just the same as heterosexuality. That by coming out and saying, "I'm gay" it doesn't mean the same as, "I am a football enthusiast with blonde hair and I scored straight As in high school." It's just that as a minority, you're constantly forced to bring attention to your differences, whether you want to or not. Most of my days I just go about life feeling pretty normal until someone else reminds me that I am a minority, and yes, society wants a label. If I identify as a lesbian, it's not to enhance my ego and give me an identity, it's just calling a spade a spade. I am attracted to the ladies, thus, lesbian.

But maybe it's just my ego-based notion of the self getting all offended, haha. Just kidding, I'm not really offended... Just wondering what other people think about his comment. I have this weird love/hate relationship with Brad Warner because I find him very refreshing and candid, but also kind of self-absorbed at times. But maybe he's just a few steps ahead of me because I do have to frequently step back and wonder how much I'm simply projecting and how much is really him just stroking his ego.

Hard to say as I don't know him and have never read the book. What I think he's trying to say, however, is that making conventional distinctions in the world is useful for the sake of communication, etc.; but if one attaches to them and creates an identity around them (not just using them and letting them go), then this increases and strengthens what he terms our 'ego-based notion of self.'

From an everyday standpoint, this isn't real a big deal. In fact, we're often encouraged to find out 'who we are' and attach to the things that make us unique, what makes us 'individuals,' so these labels tend to carry a lot of weight and begin to define 'who we are,' both to ourselves and to the rest of the world. But from another perspective, doing this has the potential to lay the foundations for the arising of stress and suffering due to that very attachment/clinging (upadana), particularly clinging to the five aggregates (perception being one of them) and the sense of self we create around of them.

Essentially, I see Warner's concept of ''ego-base notions of self" reflecting the way the Buddha talks about self in terms of a process of identity-making or 'I-making' and 'my-making' (ahankara-mamankara) in relation to one or more of the five aggregates, a view that arises due to clinging in regard to the aggregates (e.g., MN 109) and his point similar to that found at the end of DN 9, where the Buddha answers a number of questions concerning the nature of perception:
    "Suppose, Citta, they were to ask you: 'Whatever your past acquisition of a self: Is that alone your true acquisition of self, while the future & present ones are null & void? Whatever your future acquisition of a self: Is that alone your true acquisition of a self, while the past & present ones are null & void? Whatever your present acquisition of a self: Is that alone your true acquisition of a self, while the past & future ones are null & void?' Thus asked, how would you answer?"

"...Thus asked, lord, I would answer: 'Whatever my past acquisition of a self: on that occasion, that alone was my true acquisition of a self, while future & present ones were null & void. Whatever my future acquisition of a self: on that occasion, that alone will be my true acquisition of a self, while the past & present ones will be null & void. Whatever my present acquisition of a self: on that occasion, that alone is my true acquisition of a self, while the past & future ones are null & void.

"In the same way, Citta, when there is a gross acquisition of a self... it's classified just as a gross acquisition of a self. When there is a mind-made acquisition of a self... When there is a formless acquisition of a self, it's not classified either as a gross acquisition of a self or as a mind-made acquisition of a self. It's classified just as a formless acquisition of a self.

"Just as when milk comes from a cow, curds from milk, butter from curds, ghee from butter, and the skimmings of ghee from ghee. When there is milk, it's not classified as curds, butter, ghee, or skimmings of ghee. It's classified just as milk. When there are curds... When there is butter... When there is ghee... When there are the skimmings of ghee, they're not classified as milk, curds, butter, or ghee. They're classified just as the skimmings of ghee.

"In the same way, when there is a gross acquisition of a self... it's classified just as a gross acquisition of a self. When there is a mind-made acquisition of a self... When there is a formless acquisition of a self, it's not classified either as a gross acquisition of a self or as a mind-made acquisition of a self. It's classified just as a formless acquisition of a self.

"Citta, these are the world's designations, the world's expressions, the world's ways of speaking, the world's descriptions, with which the Tathagata expresses himself but without grasping to them."
    And all of this, of course, ties into the Buddha's teachings on non-self (anatta). For a better understand of what the teachings on not-self mean and how they're used on the path, I suggest Thanissaro Bhikkhu's book Selves & Not-self. I personally find it to be the most balanced and pragmatic approach to the topic.
    zombiegirl
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Yes I remember that discussion well...he really put me on the spot....
    Jasonfedericaperson
    :p
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited April 2013

I wouldn't put too much weight into what he says, because a lot of it is deliberately sensational. I mean, just look at the title of the book, "Sex, Sin, and Zen" for instance. He has a fun writing style but isn't much of a deep thinker. For example he writes, "I personally don't have a whole lot of interest in ego-based notions of self," which is a contradiction because he's meaningfully defining himself to his audience as someone who doesn't have such interests. Of course he has a lot of interest in ego-based notions of self. Why try to deny it?
    zombiegirl
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    You are missing his point.
    federica said:

Fundamentally, all we ever say to 'describe' "What" we are - is simply a label.

Cousin - lesbian.

What's the difference?

A cousin is a close relative, a child of an uncle or aunt. A lesbian is a sexual orientation.
    karastizombiegirl

Indeed they are ! :)
  • Any fixation of an idea and grasping at it and making is solid is a basis for self.

For instance I get
    Mistaken for being a girl because i have long hair. At first it sucked and I suffered. Now i am used it and chuckle at the people who mistake their judgement. I am one ugly ass girl haha.

This appearances regardless of what our deepest intutions are experience affirm are all illusion. They are baseless yet they all function and work in the conventional sense.

We have to ask ourselves. Where is the sexual orientation? For example I am a straight male. Why am I attracted to women and repulsed or neutral towards men? What makes a women a women beyond the ideology?

These are common sense questions. But buddhist ignorance is pointing to our arrogance. We think we have everything figured out and on top of that we trust our perceptions and ideas.

Cute stuff.
    zombiegirl
    Citta said:

You are missing his point.

He, and his publisher, have a lot of interest in promoting his brand. A brand is an identity. A brand is meaningful. People get attached to brands, that's the point of branding.
    edited April 2013
    caz said:

So if you forgot whatever your ego based notion of self is you would be sexually attracted to the same sex?
    Nevermind said:

caz said:

So if you forgot whatever your ego based notion of self is you would be sexually attracted to the same sex?
    Good question, I think this can be attributed to two factors one of the sense of self and the other of the karmic potentials which push us toward one orientation or another.
    edited April 2013
    caz said:

Nevermind said:

caz said:

Good question, I think this can be attributed to two factors one of the sense of self and the other of the karmic potentials which push us toward one orientation or another.
    So to clarify, it's not just an ego based notion of self. Unless you're saying that "karmic potentials" are ego based notions of self also.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Or that ego based notions of self (monkey-self) are used to fulfill karmic potential, perhaps....
    edited April 2013
    Monkeys don't have the hangups that we do about sexuality, if that's the point. Some varieties freely engage in bisexual behavior. Nevertheless the species continues via [if we must continue to use the term] "karmic potential," so it would seem that karmic potential precedes ego based notions of self. Monkeys don't have the karmic potential to have an ego based notion of self which has a lack of interest in ego based notions of self, for example. Only a human has that capacity for self deception. :p
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

caz said:

I think it's a possibility. Our identities aren't as solid as we often perceive them to be; in many ways, they're largely something we create. For example, I used to identify as 'straight' because I'm predominately attracted to women. However, I've also found men to be attractive on occasion (appreciating the inner and outer beauty of people in general), which began to happen after a lot of time analyzing and breaking down my identity and conception of who I was, leading me to start seeing beyond the limitations of social boundaries and labels and exploring how they help condition my identity, finding that much of it is influenced by things outside of my 'nature' (i.e., not inherent).

Since practicing Buddhism, one of the realizations I've had is that things aren't as solid as we often perceive them to be. This is, of course, common sense, but I don't think that it's something we intuitively realize in our day to day lives for the most part. For example, most people understand that we're biological organisms that change and grow our entire lives — that we're not static entities independent of, and removed from, the material conditions that surround us — and yet we tend to cling with an iron grip to many of the most ephemeral and artificially constructed concepts. And the most insidious of these is identity (a.k.a., self-identity view, ego-grasping, etc.).

I'm more confident than ever that identity is a phenomenon that's influenced by a myriad of internal and external conditions and experiences, and that even some of the most seemingly concrete aspects of our identity are little more than shackles that we, as a society, unconsciously place on ourselves. That's not to say that certain things aren't beyond our control, but I'd argue that what's in our control is a lot more than we might imagine, that much of our identity is fluid and malleable.

Pragmatically speaking, I see the need to differentiate between these things for the sake of communication, and as long as the words themselves don't become fixed entities corresponding to permanent realities, there's no problem (again, refer to the Buddha's words near the end of DN 9). But when these labels become representations of things which we then habitually cling to without acknowledging their limitations, I think they can become a serious problem. Hence my wariness of things like identity politics, for example, despite the need to address things like discrimination and inequality in our society.

The way I see it, identity politics that separate individuals and groups into various classes run the risk of becoming antagonistic due to the contradictory nature of the various classes themselves, especially if these distinctions of class become solidified and clung to as concretely, independently existing things. In other words, identity politics can actually reinforce the barriers in society that alienate one class from another by artificially segregating them into separate classes to begin with (e.g., gay, straight, black, white, male, female, educated, uneducated, rich, poor, native, foreign, etc.).

Case in point. When I was young, I came home from school crying and I asked my Mom why I wasn't black. Although I don't remember any of this myself, she told me that when she asked what was wrong, I told her that I was upset because the kids at school said they wouldn't play with me because I wasn't black. Up until that point, I grew up in a hotel in Detroit with a very diverse mixture of tenets. Being the only kid in the entire hotel, I got a lot of attention from everyone and I was never really exposed to the racial conflicts that existed in the outside world.

For me, in my little world inside that hotel, we were all the same—black, white, men, women, American, Filipino, etc. Almost everyone treated me as a part of their community and I saw them as part of mine. But I imagine that the kids at my school — kids who were exposed to different and less sheltered circumstances — were already acquainted with the harsh realities of racism. So even though I didn't know anything about 'race' at the time, and all I wanted to do was play with the other kids and have fun, the idea of race as a class imposed upon these kids had the unfortunate effect of setting me apart from my own community.

For the majority of my life, I never truly understood that identity wasn't a fixed thing—that my 'white' identity wasn't something I was born with, but something which arose out of the historical and material conditions I was born into. And now that I've begun to question these things, I'm beginning to see that my sense of identity and subsequent feelings of alienation are being perpetuated, at least in part, by the very set of identity politics which seeks to destroy these kinds of social barriers because of my attachment to them, my taking "the world's designations, the world's expressions, the world's ways of speaking, the world's descriptions" and grasping at them.

I can't change the colour of my skin (well, not easily anyway), but I can just as easily identify myself as a 'human being' as I can a 'straight white man.' Of course, doing so isn't going to make me classless, but it'll at least help me to avoid falling into an essentialist trap in which I'm not able to explore my own sense of identity in a fluid and dynamic way—a way that won’t alienate me and prevent me from connecting to everyone around me, regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.

Not everyone will find themselves attracted to the same-sex by weakening their 'ego-based notion of self,' of course; but I do think that our conception of who we are can be radically changed by doing so. When we stop limiting ourselves by the internalization of, and psychological attachment to, the labels we or others place upon us, we allow ourselves to be more open and less judgmental about ourselves as species beings, creating healthier and less self-absorbed senses of selves, and to expand the possibilities of who we can become, possibly even getting to a point where we're able to drop the need to create a self and experience a level of peace and freedom that transcends space and time.
    zombiegirlcazNirvana
    What does an ego based notion of self even mean? How can there be a non-ego based notion of self? Isn't being 'one with the universe' or whatever still ego-based?
    Great post, Jason, but isn't this really just about garden variety attachment, really? Attachment comes in all forms. Could we be fooling ourselves in thinking that if we weaken our ego-based notion of self that we've actually done anything very beneficial?
    Nevermind said:

What does an ego based notion of self even mean? How can there be a non-ego based notion of self? Isn't being 'one with the universe' or whatever still ego-based?

As I previously mentioned, I don't know exactly what Warner means by ''ego-base notions of self" as I haven't read the book, buy I see it reflecting the way the Buddha talks about self in terms of a process of identity-making or 'I-making' and 'my-making' (ahankara-mamankara) in relation to one or more of the five aggregates, a view that arises due to clinging in regard to the aggregates (e.g., MN 109).
    Citta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Jason said:

Nevermind said:

As I previously mentioned, I don't know exactly what Warner means by ''ego-base notions of self" as I haven't read the book, buy I see it reflecting the way the Buddha talks about self in terms of a process of identity-making or 'I-making' and 'my-making' (ahankara-mamankara) in relation to one or more of the five aggregates, a view that arises due to clinging in regard to the aggregates (e.g., MN 109).
    Precisely.
  • Whatever he meant, it sparked an interesting discussion.
    Nevermind said:

Great post, Jason, but isn't this really just about garden variety attachment, really? Attachment comes in all forms. Could we be fooling ourselves in thinking that if we weaken our ego-based notion of self that we've actually done anything very beneficial?

Yes, I think it's ultimately about attachment/clinging (upadana) in and of itself; but our sense of self, which arises out of clinging to one or more of the five aggregates, is an extremely important focal point, hence the Buddha's repeated discourses on the aggregates being not-self. So, in essence, I'd say that weakening our 'ego-based notion of self,' or whatever you want to call it, is potentially a very beneficial thing if done in the proper way.
    Jason said:

Nevermind said:

So again this is really about clinging, which comes in all forms. Could we be fooling ourselves in thinking that if we weaken our ego-based notion of self that we've actually done anything very beneficial?
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

Jason said:

So again this is really about clinging, which comes in all forms. Could we be fooling ourselves in thinking that if we weaken our ego-based notion of self that we've actually done anything very beneficial?
    Again, I'd say that, yes, I think it's ultimately about attachment/clinging (upadana) in and of itself; but our sense of self, which arises out of clinging to one or more of the five aggregates, is an extremely important focal point, hence the Buddha's repeated discourses on the aggregates being not-self. So, in essence, I'd say that weakening our 'ego-based notion of self,' 'self-identity view,' 'ego-grasping,' or whatever you want to call it, is potentially a very beneficial thing if done in the proper way.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Is being straight/gay/whatever ego-based? I don't think so. Biology is still present. If we all tried really hard not to be able of those things, the human race would cease to exist and we'd never get enlightened, lol. Is labeling yourself as one or the other? Probably, but our society, if you are going to live within it, kind of requires it. If you choose to not have intimate relationships that might be different. But I know people who claim to put no labels on their sexuality and they appear to use it as a good reason to have sex with whoever they want without consequence because "I don't label myself." So they'll have sex with either gender, but won't have real relationships with anyone because that would require them labeling themselves, or being labeled by others as, either gay, straight or bi.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013

It's interesting to me because he seems to get it when the says things like how he understands the 'social usefulness', and yet, he continues to insult by calling it 'ego-based notions of the self'. No, he doesn't get it. People aren't "defining" themselves out of "social usefulness". People simply are who they are. And having been born a certain way into a society that doesn't approve of the way they were born, they're forced to demand recognition and compassion for who they are. They're not choosing to be a certain way, which is what the writer is implying.

This guy's ideas are cr@p. He doesn't "get" anything.

zombiegirl
  • chelachela Veteran
    I think, as @Jason points out, the reality is that realities do not (often?) lie at oppositions. Just like everything else, our sexuality lies on some sort of continuum. Many of us say that we are either heterosexual or gay, but if we were brutally honest with ourselves, we would find that our sexuality lies somewhere along the line, closer to one end than the other, or maybe in the middle, but rarely at the end. Most people can never be that honest with themselves, so they dwell in the oppositions fantasy. It's easier to be more honest with something less stigmatized, like whether we like chocolate or vanilla: I'll take strawberry, please. And we have to have stigmas, afterall, because if we didn't, people would be more accepting of wherever they actually fell on the line--even the fact that they were over on the right one day, and farther down on the left the next day...what kind of crazy, out-of-control world would we live in?!
    karasti
    Jason said:

Nevermind said:

Yes, I think it's ultimately about attachment/clinging (upadana) in and of itself; but our sense of self, which arises out of clinging to one or more of the five aggregates, is an extremely important focal point, hence the Buddha's repeated discourses on the aggregates being not-self. So, in essence, I'd say that weakening our 'ego-based notion of self,' or whatever you want to call it, is potentially a very beneficial thing if done in the proper way.
    I don't get it, to be frank. If clinging is the problem then it would seem most beneficial to focus on clinging, in all forms. To pull a quote from the essay you posted a link to:
    If you open your mind to the idea that the Buddha was actually advocating ego development instead of egolessness, you see that there's nothing lopsided or lacking in his understanding of healthy ego functioning.
    Perhaps modern Buddhism has got it lopsided?
    edited April 2013
    chela said:

I think, as @Jason points out, the reality is that realities do not (often?) lie at oppositions. Just like everything else, our sexuality lies on some sort of continuum.

Yes, although I'd say it's more our identities (sexual or otherwise), which are influenced by a myriad of internal and external conditions and experiences, that lie on some sort of continuum. So while biologically we may be predominately attracted to one gender/sex or another, the identity we build around that, and society's attitudes towards things like sexuality, relationships, etc., is much more fluid and malleable than we may realize. In my experience, this realization manifested itself in one way, and I was just using that as an example; but it can manifest itself in different ways in different individuals.
    edited April 2013
    chela said:

It's easier to be more honest with something less stigmatized, like whether we like chocolate or vanilla: I'll take strawberry, please.

Good point, but chocolate and vanilla both have a lot of sweet and fat. Generally, we all have a predisposition to crave sweet and fat. But there could be some born with a predisposition to crave fiber. :p Whatever the case, predispositions (not necessarily good or bad) exist and are not just figments of our imaginations.
    Jason said:

... the identity we build around that, and society's attitudes towards things like sexuality, relationships, etc., is much more fluid and malleable than we may realize.

We an build identities around any desire or craving. As a social species we have a natural desire for meaning, for instance, and religion can help us build an identity around that. Maybe we should be weakening our religious identities?
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

I don't get it, to be frank. If clinging is the problem then it would seem most beneficial to focus on clinging, in all forms. To pull a quote from the essay you posted a link to:

If you open your mind to the idea that the Buddha was actually advocating ego development instead of egolessness, you see that there's nothing lopsided or lacking in his understanding of healthy ego functioning.
    Perhaps modern Buddhism has got it lopsided?

Perhaps, but the Buddha thought our sense of self an important place to focus, and I'm content with using his teachings on the aggregates and not-self as the basis of my approach for now.
    Nevermind said:

We an build identities around any desire or craving. As a social species we have a natural desire for meaning, for instance, and religion can help us build an identity around that. Maybe we should be weakening our religious identities?

Yes, although I'd say we should weaken our clinging to identities (as well as their creation) rather than weaken a specific identity.
    Citta
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind said:

Whatever the case, predispositions (not necessarily good or bad) exist and are not just figments of our imaginations.

I think you are saying that, basically, there is nature in addition to nurture (as in, the old "nature vs. nurture" argument). I couldn't agree more. I believe that identities, and the specific desires and talents entangled within them, are an elegant and individual combination of genetics and socialization (and I think science has proven that, to some extent). Personally, I can attest to this as I have watched my two older children grow up with the same caregivers in the same environment but exhibit very different traits. It's fascinating.

• Simply being, wheres the differenece between any human?

Weve all wholesome and unwholesome attachments and one knows this.
    Jason said:

Nevermind said:

Yes, although I'd say we should weaken our clinging to identities (as well as their creation) rather than weaken a specific identity.
    Funny, because the article you posted a link to seemed to suggest that we should integrate rather than engage the apparently fruitless game of "weakening" or elimination.
  • Sexual orientation per se is not an ego-based notion of self in the Buddhist sense. It is a set of conditioning which in principle can be experienced without clinging to an identity. The "ego-based notion of self" he is referring to is "the ways people choose to define themselves in terms of gender, sexual orientation, or whatever other factors." That is another layer on top of sexual orientation, and can cause suffering in forms such as reacting with annoyance and complaint careless misreading of reasonable and uncontroversial remarks. :)
    edited April 2013
    fivebells said:

The "ego-based notion of self" he is referring to is "the ways people choose to define themselves in terms of gender, sexual orientation, or whatever other factors."

So Brad believes that sexual orientation is a "choice" that people make? If, for example, someone "chooses" to define their sexual identity as gay, but they aren't gay, isn't that a lie?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Jason said:

Nevermind said:

So many comments! I love the discussion that this sparked but in reading through these, I actually have to agree with those of you who said that Brad Warner didn't "get it". Mind you, the excerpt I quoted comes from the introduction and really just stands to explain why he WON'T be discussing sexual orientation(etc.). All of the discussion here is interesting and way deeper than what I'm reading in this book, btw. The point he was making was not that sexuality/sexual orientation/whatever are all ego-based notions of the self. He was making a distinction between what he WILL be discussing and what he won't be discussing. He only labels the things he won't be discussing (gender, sexual orientation, etc.) as "ego-based notions of the self."

As far as I can tell (I'm not very far into the book, it's seriously the most boring book on sex I've ever read and keeps putting me to sleep), he doesn't think that meditating and living the Buddhist lifestyle will erase any sort of sexual desire, per se. He talks about two different forms of celibacy: one being the form in which you negate and avoid anything sexual (including thoughts) as a sort of denial, and one in which you still acknowledge you're a sexual being, but that you're just taking a break from it (maybe a long break). I'm bringing this up because it seems to me, to point out that he doesn't believe heterosexuality to be another ego-based notion of the self... but then again, maybe I just haven't read far enough yet. I'll let you guys know, but at the moment, I'm just happy I didn't pay full price for this book.

This is the paragraph before the one quoted:
    "I don't claim to be any kind of expert on human sexuality. A lot of the theories current these days about gender and sexuality leave me a little confused. I simply don't have enough interest in them to sustain the kind of study needed to understand them thoroughly. I'm a bit of a fuddy-duddy, I suppose. It's not that I hate the whole idea of there being, like, two dozen different genders and whatever else they're saying nowadays. I just really don't care."
    I get that it's not his interest, but it still comes off a little condescending to me. Especially because I haven't seen this "ego-based notions of the self" line describing anything heterosexual (or anything of interest to him) as of yet. If ALL sexual orientation is ego-based, THAT'S an interesting topic... but it is annoying that he seems to feel that homosexuality is an ego-based notion, while heterosexuality is somehow not.