Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

North Korea, hypothetical situation and Buddhist response

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator
edited April 2013 in General Banter
As most of the world knows, North Korea's regime continues to threaten to bomb the US. Let's say, at some point, they do. What do you think would be the proper response to that type of aggression from a Buddhist point of view? The Pentagon said today they are going to scale back their push to military response because they don't want to aggravate the situation and would prefer to resolve the situation diplomatically. But what if it doesn't work? What if they send a missile to South Korea or the US (or anywhere) that has nuclear weapons attached? How does a Buddhist respond to such a situation as a crazed dictator?

I'm not sure what I think the best response is. I think avoiding attacking is the best route of course. But if they attack first, then what? Back down and let them remain a threat to other countries? Do nothing about them killing who knows how many people?

I still think it's typical bluster, like a bear who huffs and paws at you but really isn't about to attack. But I can't imagine the change in the world if they did, and what the right response would be.

I know thinking about the future isn't what we should do, especially in such a "what if" situation, but sometimes I can't help it, lol. I should restate that, what do you as a Buddhist or future Buddhist, think is the best answer? Obviously there is probably no one, single, Buddhist answer.

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I don't think there is an appropriate Buddhist reaction to that scenario.
    I would have to go along with the most likely response which would be to bomb their infrastructure and military into oblivion. Hopefully with conventional weapons.
    Like the US did in Iraq but on a bigger scale and with good reason this time.
    Massive civilian casualties for sure. But if they launch the first attack what choice would there be?
    Edit- of course that would presume the Chinese cooperating with the plan.
    vinlyn
  • I think a buddhist approach would be to capture the leader and allow him time for zen. :banghead:
    lobster
  • Have you ever seen the documentary 'Welcome To North Korea'? It was filmed by the BBC and they were granted access into Korea under strict observation and guidance, it is the most exposed documentary of the country to date and let me tell you this, I feel sorry for the people who live there. The all live in fear and it literally is like 1984 by Orwell only in Asia. They cannot look at foreigners in the eyes as it is illegal unless your job description is a guide for example, they have to eat a lot of crap they are spoon-fed and pretend they believe it is real. They have no access to the outside world and they are totally brainwashed. They interviewed a man whilst they were in South Korea who had managed to escape with his 3 daughters, they had to swim across the river whilst being shot at by snipers.

As for an answer to the question, I really could not say as it would be a bad whatever you would do. I know that North Korea hates the US more than South Korea, I have a friend who from South Korea and she even would like the North and South to rejoin, after all it was the US who split them apart in the first place. But I advise people to watch this link when they have the time.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Supposedly both sides want re-unification. The caveat is that each side only wants to be re-unified on their own, very different terms.

I wonder what the current president of S. Korea's stance is on all this. From what I heard from my S Korean friends, the previous president was more or less itching for an excuse to bomb the DPRK off the map. I really hope it's still not the case, because if it is, I think we should be worried about S Korea's response as well.
    riverflowThailandTom
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    There is no Buddhist response to anything.
    One would hope that if Buddhists were involved in such decisions that their thinking would be informed by compassion and wisdom.
    Unfortunately because many western Buddhists embrace the counter-culture they put themselves out of much of the decision making process, and hold up banners instead.
    It is to be hoped that over several generations this will change.
    CinorjerInvincible_summer
  • War and peace are the epic saga of humanity. They are all that our history books contain because they are what our hearts contain.

Few people come to the final conclusion that these windmills are imaginary, that one can remove them by not endowing them with strength and importance. That we can open our hearts without fear and gently, gradually let go of our preconceived notions and opinions, views and ideas, suppressions and conditioned responses. When all that is removed, what does one have left? A large, open space, which one can fill with whatever one likes. If one has good sense, one will fill it with love, compassion and equanimity. Then there is nothing left to fight. Only joy and peacefulness remain, which cannot be found outside of oneself. It is quite impossible to take anything from outside and put it into oneself. There is no opening in us through which peace can enter. We have to start within and work outward. Unless that becomes clear to us, we will always find another crusade.

Ayya Khema

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/all-of-us/allus05.htm
    Cinorjerstavros388Invincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Yeah, and meanwhile...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Citta said:

There is no Buddhist response to anything.
    One would hope that if Buddhists were involved in such decisions that their thinking would be informed by compassion and wisdom.
    Unfortunately because many western Buddhists embrace the counter-culture they put themselves out of much of the decision making process, and hold up banners instead.
    It is to be hoped that over several generations this will change.

Interesting, and all the more interesting if you combine that with Caz's comment just above.

Cinorjer said:

Here's the point: Nations cannot be Buddhist. Only people can be Buddhist. We cannot expect "nations" to be enlightened or act like monks or respond in a Buddhist way. Nations always act like nations, which means the people in power do what people who are drawn to playing power games always do. The vast majority of people that make up a nation think in terms of tribal identity and would react as blindly as wasps attacking the person who threw a rock at their nest. That holds true with the supposedly "Buddhist countries" where Buddhism is the official religion.

Karma means actions have consequences. Karma applies to North Korea as well as you and I. The consequences of them actually attacking the US would be catastrophic for them. It wouldn't do us any good, either.

So the Buddhist response really can only be how you and I and other Buddhists respond. Deplore the loss of life on all sides and don't get caught up in hate for the "North Koreans" because they're held hostage to an Imperial style government insane enough to do such a thing.

I recall that we had either a few posts or a thread (don't remember which) not that long ago that seemed to come to the conclusion that nations don't have karma.

pegembara said:

War and peace are the epic saga of humanity. They are all that our history books contain because they are what our hearts contain...

First, war and peace are not "all" that our history books contain. Second, the reason they are rather prominent, however, in our history books is that history is the story of mankind, and wars often change the direction of mankind.

• vinlyn said:

Cinorjer said:

Here's the point: Nations cannot be Buddhist. Only people can be Buddhist. We cannot expect "nations" to be enlightened or act like monks or respond in a Buddhist way. Nations always act like nations, which means the people in power do what people who are drawn to playing power games always do. The vast majority of people that make up a nation think in terms of tribal identity and would react as blindly as wasps attacking the person who threw a rock at their nest. That holds true with the supposedly "Buddhist countries" where Buddhism is the official religion.

Karma means actions have consequences. Karma applies to North Korea as well as you and I. The consequences of them actually attacking the US would be catastrophic for them. It wouldn't do us any good, either.

So the Buddhist response really can only be how you and I and other Buddhists respond. Deplore the loss of life on all sides and don't get caught up in hate for the "North Koreans" because they're held hostage to an Imperial style government insane enough to do such a thing.

I recall that we had either a few posts or a thread (don't remember which) not that long ago that seemed to come to the conclusion that nations don't have karma.

Hmm...how about "collective karma"? People in groups or tribes or whatever you want to call it create a collective entity. Acting together, people share the consequences. A nation is a tribe written large.
    Cinorjer said:

Hmm...how about "collective karma"? People in groups or tribes or whatever you want to call it create a collective entity. Acting together, people share the consequences. A nation is a tribe written large.

Don't misunderstand me. I argued in favor of the concept of national karma.

• To the extent a nation is defined as a group of people who share a common identity, I'd have to be in favor of national karma, also. For a given definition of karma.
  • I have wondered about this.
    Cinorjer said:

To the extent a nation is defined as a group of people who share a common identity, I'd have to be in favor of national karma, also. For a given definition of karma.

The only trouble I have with the concept of national karma is that it would mean that all people in the nation would suffer from what the nation did, even if they were not at all involved or had acted against the negative action of the nation.

I haven't quite worked through that.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    vinlyn said:

pegembara said:

War and peace are the epic saga of humanity. They are all that our history books contain because they are what our hearts contain...

First, war and peace are not "all" that our history books contain. Second, the reason they are rather prominent, however, in our history books is that history is the story of mankind, and wars often change the direction of mankind.

@vinlyn - I interpreted "war" more loosely to just mean "conflict" or "struggle." Since that would encompass many more things, I think it would make the quote more accurate.
  • vinlyn said:

The only trouble I have with the concept of national karma is that it would mean that all people in the nation would suffer from what the nation did, even if they were not at all involved or had acted against the negative action of the nation.

Yes, that would be a sticking point for me as well. It would be equivelent of amassing bad karma because we were unable to control the behavior of others, yet the only behavior we can really reliably control is our own.

I suppose it's possible to consider it in the light of how the way we live might unintentionally support some of the nation's bad doings (think buying gas for the car, taxes being used to pay for military action, etc) but I always understood that intention was an important factor in the amount of karma we amass. The idea of a national karma would leave out individual intention.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I edited my original post (about 10 minutes after I posted it originally) to include what would YOU as a Buddhist do in the situation, if it was your decision to make. How would you make the decision? After, say, Hawaii or Los Angeles (or another major city in your home country) is attached by a nuclear weapon causing catastrophic loss of life and damage, how do you sit in your as a Buddhist national leader and decide what to do? Can you make a decision to go to war knowing that even in the best of attempts, innocent people will die, and still be using compassion to make the decision? I'm just curious how people as individuals would reconcile fighting back, with compassion, or if they wouldn't fight back. I know it's not an easy question, lol. I was just wondering what people would think if it was their decision to make.

Invincible_summer
    Choosing to attack would be compassionate for your own people - not so much for the citizens of the DPRK. Choosing to allow the attacks to continue would not be compassionate towards the people who will die in your country.

Maybe supporting a revolution would be the best option? Allow the people to carry out the overthrow of their ruling class in their own way and organize government as they choose.
    You bring up an interesting point. I know we don't know a whole lot about North Korea because of the limits on seeing what happens there, but does anyone know if there are underground groups of some sort that could be worked with to support an overthrow of the regime? Or is the support within NK for the regime strong even amongst the general public?

I enjoy the discussion about national karma as well. I don't know how I feel about it. I agree with @vinlyn that it becomes pretty difficult to consider that every citizen who happens to live in the country becomes "guilty" or responsible for the karma accrued by it's leaders decisions and actions. I find it hard to accept the idea that karma applies to borders. Are the people who voted against the office holder still karmically responsible for his actions? Is a person who has the means to move more karmically responsible for the countries actions than a person who does not have the means to move?
  • About "national" or collective Karma.... Personally, I can't convince myself to buy into that idea. Logically it doesn't make sense to me, nor does it make sense from my Buddhist understanding.

We can't control what other people do, or how they think. We only have control over our own thoughts, decisions and actions. We live as individuals in a government-run society and we have only a very tiny say (an election vote for; financial support; protests against) as individuals in the things that are done.
    Of course, a group of individuals can get together and work to change existing laws and/or policies we don't agree with... even with the best, purest intentions and All Righteousness and Might on our side, that doesn't mean we won't fail to change things we want to change.
    It still comes back to we are only responsible for our OWN actions.

• vinlyn said:

Cinorjer said:

To the extent a nation is defined as a group of people who share a common identity, I'd have to be in favor of national karma, also. For a given definition of karma.

Yes, that part also gives me pause. I am not a believer that everything happening to you is the result of your conscious actions and thus completely under your control. Some things happen to you because of the actions of others, and sometimes the group or tribe or nation does things you disagree with. And I don't think it's fair to say we share the group's karma because I could have packed my bags and immigrated to some other nation (as if that's an option to most people, anyway).

Last time I checked, no politician in DC or the state government has asked my opinion or permission before doing whatever the heck they want to. So if in spite of my votes and voice and desires our government goes to war, does that mean I share our nation's karma?

I'll have to think about it a bit. I guess, like I said, it depends on what you mean by karma.
    How does Karma even know where we live? LOL. (I'm just being silly)

The more I think about it, the more I think it not only doesn't make sense but is just plain impossible. What would be the point to live the best life you can, only to find yourself suffering the effects of karma of a president who made bad choices when you were 4 years old? Or the choices of someone you didn't elect and didn't support? I suppose if you elect someone and support a war they start, then you might have some karmic responsibility for supporting the war, again depending exactly how karma works (which none of us know). But if where we live and what is going on with people around us that we never have any interaction with affects our karma, what is the point of trying to live a good life? You'd be screwed from the get-go by all the people around you.
    That, of course, is part of the discussion.

But at some point, someone said, "Who ever said karma was fair?"
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013
    vinlyn said:

Might have been this thread. Also this.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Perhaps the most compassionate thing to do after an attack by North Korea, would be to bomb the hell out of every political and military installation and asset the DPRK has.
    Many tens of thousands of people would die, but perhaps in the medium term - 10 years or so, - more lives would be saved. With a government change it would mean an end to the concentration camps (population 150,000 to 200,000) and an end to malnutrition in some of the rural areas...
    I'm not recommending it, just putting it out there as a possibility.

Compassion from a bomb. huh.
    edited April 2013

Perhaps the most compassionate thing to do after an attack by North Korea, would be to bomb the hell out of every political and military installation and asset the DPRK has.
    Many tens of thousands of people would die, but perhaps in the medium term - 10 years or so, - more lives would be saved. With a government change it would mean an end to the concentration camps (population 150,000 to 200,000) and an end to malnutrition in some of the rural areas...
    I'm not recommending it, just putting it out there as a possibility.

Compassion from a bomb. huh.

Congratulations. One of only 2 posts in this thread that actually answered the original question with a practical (rather than theoretical) response!

That's a good point, @JamestheGiant Sometimes long term health of the people and country and world might be a better way to look at things. We all can only do the best we know how in any situation and dealing with such a big situation really wouldn't be much different. I don't think most leaders bomb the crap out of places without realizing they are killing innocents and wishing they could accomplish the goal without that happening.

Since our adversary is the DPRK it's hard to know much. We can mostly only go by what we are told, since we can't easily get their side. Dennis Rodman seems to think Un is a-okay! Who knows for any given instance of attack and war how much truth we are told versus propaganda from our own government in order to get us to support a war/attack. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything, I'm just saying, who knows what the truth really is in any of these instances.
  • Wow bizarre on the Dennis Rodman!
    riverflow
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    @Jeffrey

Indeed, if North Korea nukes someone I'd have to wonder if it would have made a difference to try something different
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Yeah, why not Give War A Chance!

But no, it is a slippery slope to say "Bomb them and destroy the regime, it'll be good for them in the long run."
    Just like a father giving a child a good thrashing when the kid does something bad.
    It's an uncool and clumsy way of doing things.
    There has to be a better way, surely.
    riverflow
  • How did the DPRK became an adversary of the US? It is not oil rich. It is not encroaching on your territory. It is dirt poor and on the point of self implosion. All its acts are acts of desperation and survival. Since when has it become a threat to the US. (Are you fighting windmills?) Any nuclear weapons facility can be destroyed if absolutely necessary.

Any entity (atta/"thing") is subjected to kamma. This include nations and all its sub-components.
    riverflow
    pegembara said:

How did the DPRK became an adversary of the US? It is not oil rich. It is not encroaching on your territory. It is dirt poor and on the point of self implosion. All its acts are acts of desperation and survival. Since when has it become a threat to the US. (Are you fighting windmills?) Any nuclear weapons facility can be destroyed if absolutely necessary.

Are you saying don't know the history of the division of Korea? Or, as usual, are you just obliquely trying to make the US the only bad guy again?

North Korea is "at the point of self-implosion". But I've been hearing that for well over a decade. So where is the implosion?

"It is dirt poor". Yes, the common people are dirt poor, but the military establishment ("with 9,495,000 active, reserve, and paramilitary personnel, it is the largest military organization on earth") doesn't seem quite so poor.

"Since when is it a threat to the US?" Since it got some nuclear weapons and constantly says it will actually use them...on an almost daily basis?

"It is not encroaching on your territory." No, it isn't. But it would surely take over South Korea without us. I don't think any government in the world doubts this...especially since it says -- frequently -- that it is its intent.

"Any nuclear weapons facility can be destroyed if absolutely necessary". Of course, the question is whether China or Russia would allow that to happen.

• robotrobot Veteran
    pegembara said:

How did the DPRK became an adversary of the US? It is not oil rich. It is not encroaching on your territory. It is dirt poor and on the point of self implosion. All its acts are acts of desperation and survival. Since when has it become a threat to the US. (Are you fighting windmills?) Any nuclear weapons facility can be destroyed if absolutely necessary.

Any entity (atta/"thing") is subjected to kamma. This include nations and all its sub-components.

Just to reiterate what Vinlyn just said.
    North Korea is more than just a threat to the US. It is menacing the entire region.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11813699
    It's only dirt poor because of the screwballs that have been running it.
    According to wiki the North Korean army, at close to a million men, is the largest on earth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People's_Army
    If their nuclear facilities are bombed, their reaction could easily be to stomp into South Korea which would be a cakewalk for them.
    @JamestheGiant I don't advocate beating kids, but just to play devils advocate, some kids respond well to spanking. I did. It kept me in line. I was spanked twice in my life, for serious offenses, and I deserved it. It didn't ruin me or make me hate my parents or anything. It had the desired effect. Same parents, different child (my sister) had the opposite affect. As usual, hard to say what works until it is tried.

NK might be able to stomp over to SK, but could they do it before all their capabilities and communication are already destroyed? They might have a lot of men. But that only does you good when you participate in a ground war. It seems it wouldn't take long to wipe out a good amount of their resources. We don't need an equal # of men to combat their military, I don't think anyhow. I'm not saying I think that is the right answer, just saying that it seems silly from their end to attack America when it would surely only reign down hell on them and their regime. But of course I only get that information from what little I know.

I guess if I were president, I would hope to be able to use the military to send a warning message. I would have no choice but to take on the Karma myself, but to do nothing and possibly allow them to continue to attack others just doesn't seem like a good option, either. I guess if I just sat back and let them attack, they'd be accruing their own Karma, but wouldn't I, too, by allowing others to die when I have options to defend them? I wonder what Buddha would think of the world we live in. But I wonder that often, whether it is war, factory farming, drugs, pets, careers, or whatever the topic might be.
    vinlyn

Yeah, why not Give War A Chance!

But no, it is a slippery slope to say "Bomb them and destroy the regime, it'll be good for them in the long run."
    Just like a father giving a child a good thrashing when the kid does something bad.
    It's an uncool and clumsy way of doing things.
    There has to be a better way, surely.

See that's the problem I was seeing - what if the regime was done away with, but the people are distraught and try to set up an identical governing structure, because that's all they know?

I suggested supporting a revolution, but I'm not even sure that there are enough dissidents living in the DPRK that it would be effectual or successful in a short amount of time (i.e. as a reaction to a nuclear attack).

Perhaps another way would be to convince China to march a crapload of troops over to the China-DPRK border and start surrounding the regime, forcing them to concede.

The thing is, even if the DPRK used a nuclear device on another country, I have doubts that they would have any more. They would be forced to rely on their army (as large as it is). It wouldn't be a sustained conflict. Perhaps if the military and government were completely surrounded and given no options but death or exile, they would concede.
  • Do people here realize that most of us are nonentities with no power to change anything? To believe otherwise is arrogance.
  • I know this is a little off topic of the whole 'collective karma' things that is going on, but I think there is going to be an attack of sorts, it is almost a certainty reading about what Kim Jong un has been saying.

I have thought about collective karma and I have thought about all the inner workings of it running down from a leader or a nation to the staff members and then the civilians, I cannot muster up the energy to type my thoughts on that right now :p
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    According to the Abhidhamma there is a kind of shared karma when a similar set of circumstances involve a number of individuals..but nowhere in the Canon is there any suggestion of collective karma.
    The whole point is that karma-vipaka follows an intentional individual act.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Citta said:

According to the Abhidhamma there is a kind of shared karma when a similar set of circumstances involve a number of individuals..but nowhere in the Canon is there any suggestion of collective karma.
    The whole point is that karma-vipaka follows an intentional individual act.

Not necessarily. For example, see DN 16 where the Buddha talks about "the growth of the Vajjis," which seems to allude to a type of collective kamma at a 'national' level. That said, Theravada generally focuses on the individual aspects of kamma since the vast majority of the teachings in the Pali Canon deal with actions on an individual level (e.g., AN 5.57, MN 61, MN 136, etc.), and I'm personally critical of the idea of collective kamma for the reasons detailed here.
  • IMO the USA is trying to impose itself way too much on the world. Mutual protection among countries should be done through the United Nations. The USA imposes itself so that it can wield it's power, and the result is that it has made enemies all over the world. So if I were president, I would work through the United Nations, and send a signal that the USA will start reducing it's "personal" agenda of acting in the Korean region (meaning it will also start to withdraw military instruments from the area) and in the rest of the world, but will continue to support the United Nations. Hopefully this will release some of the tension. If the UN refuses to protect South Korea from NK, then this is not the responsibility of the USA. Of course, the USA should also give up it's unique veto right within the United Nations, as another signal that it will strive for a democratic world.
    Unfortunately, this is diagonal to the actual US foreign policy, but it's what I would personally do...
    pegembara
  • IMO the USA is trying to impose itself way too much on the world. Mutual protection among countries should be done through the United Nations. The USA imposes itself so that it can wield it's power, and the result is that it has made enemies all over the world. So if I were president, I would work through the United Nations, and send a signal that the USA will start reducing it's "personal" agenda of acting in the Korean region (meaning it will also start to withdraw military instruments from the area) and in the rest of the world, but will continue to support the United Nations. Hopefully this will release some of the tension. If the UN refuses to protect South Korea from NK, then this is not the responsibility of the USA. Of course, the USA should also give up it's unique veto right within the United Nations, as another signal that it will strive for a democratic world.
    Unfortunately, this is diagonal to the actual US foreign policy, but it's what I would personally do...
    maarten said:

...So if I were president, I would work through the United Nations, and send a signal that the USA will start reducing it's "personal" agenda of acting in the Korean region (meaning it will also start to withdraw military instruments from the area) and in the rest of the world, but will continue to support the United Nations. ...

Which, of course, means that you wouldn't be president.

Invincible_summer
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited April 2013
    maarten said:

IMO the USA is trying to impose itself way too much on the world. Mutual protection among countries should be done through the United Nations. The USA imposes itself so that it can wield it's power, and the result is that it has made enemies all over the world. So if I were president, I would work through the United Nations, and send a signal that the USA will start reducing it's "personal" agenda of acting in the Korean region (meaning it will also start to withdraw military instruments from the area) and in the rest of the world, but will continue to support the United Nations. Hopefully this will release some of the tension. If the UN refuses to protect South Korea from NK, then this is not the responsibility of the USA. Of course, the USA should also give up it's unique veto right within the United Nations, as another signal that it will strive for a democratic world.

Yea well that is just the way the US government has conducted itself for decades and it isn't going to change any time soon, and seeing as a person or persons we have no real control over it, it is best left alone. It will only change when the US either falls, WW3 or if there is a revolution, one of those 3 things is probably going to happen within my lifetime IMO.
    riverflow
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited April 2013
    An option: Send in assassins. Target and do away with the specific political and military leaders who "pushed the button" on us. Just like the way we (finally) got Osama Bin Laden.

I know this is probably illegal in the scope of our world's collective "war ethics" and UN policies... but frankly that makes much more sense to me than sending tens of thousands of soldiers to war and risking the lives of those mostly innocent civilians in the other country. Assassins. Ninjas. Very limited collateral damage that way....
    I always wondered about that too. Like, who made the rules for war who decided that thousands of death and reducing innocent people to "collateral damage" being a better option than assassins? Is it more fair or something? We shouldn't have to plunge a whole country into such a state if something can be accomplished by taking out a few higher ranking people. Granted, with a place like North Korea it seems like the regime probably runs rather deep and just taking out a few isn't going to matter. They seem to need a message of sorts.

I do agree on the US needing to back out, overall, in some affairs. Our need to make the world run the way we want putting our interests (and mostly profit) above everything else is painfully obvious and will do nothing but bring ruin. And we'll continue to blame everyone else for reacting to some of the horrible policies and practices we have.

As a young child, I always wondered how we can justify having the weapons we do yet we get to tell everyone else they shouldn't have them? Not that I am saying I'm fine with someone like Un having nuclear weapons. But I don't think it should be the US telling them they can't. We aren't, of course, the only one doing that. But I agree with the proposal to have the UN manage these things more so than the US demanding them.

My mom is going to Hawaii soon and she's more than a bit nervous about being so close to North Korea.
    ThailandTom
  • vinlyn said:

pegembara said:

North Korea is "at the point of self-implosion". But I've been hearing that for well over a decade. So where is the implosion?

Just wait and see.

"It is dirt poor". Yes, the common people are dirt poor, but the military establishment ("with 9,495,000 active, reserve, and paramilitary personnel, it is the largest military organization on earth") doesn't seem quite so poor.

Where does it get its money? From selling oil? weapons? grain?

"Since when is it a threat to the US?" Since it got some nuclear weapons and constantly says it will actually use them...on an almost daily basis?

Why the US? Why not France? Answer below.

"It is not encroaching on your territory." No, it isn't. But it would surely take over South Korea without us. I don't think any government in the world doubts this...especially since it says -- frequently -- that it is its intent.

"Any nuclear weapons facility can be destroyed if absolutely necessary". Of course, the question is whether China or Russia would allow that to happen.

The US does not care what China or Russia thinks if it is threatened by nuclear weapons.

• Imagine- John Lennon