Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the politics of music

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Comments

• Ha! Their dry humor is to be appreciated.
  • I listened to Pink Floyd's The Final Cut the day after...
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    That's equal parts funny, clever and distasteful.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • @paige does have a good point here worth reflecting on here.

To (over!)elaborate, the nobody is just ONE identity--we all play several different roles with several different people, in several different contexts. No one is ESSENTIALLY any one thing ("good" or "bad")--in fact non-self, emptiness and inter-dependency undermine this very notion.

Causes and conditions are created by other causes and conditions. To place dotted lines around anyone to lay blame for any one thing is not really helpful for others or for ourselves.

None of this negates the very harmful things Ms. Thatcher did in life, but neither did she do those things single-handedly (she was, after all, an elected official). It is lamentable her support of Pinochet and her policies that caused a great deal of harm to the UK and abroad. But it is more helpful to pinpoint the harmful actions themselves rather than pinning it on someone, as if that let's us off the hook for our own response-ability. The blame game is really just another unhelpful delusion. I at least know that I need to be reminded of that from time to time.
    paigeInvincible_summerToshStraight_Man
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    riverflow said:

To (over!)elaborate, the nobody is just ONE identity--we all play several different roles with several different people, in several different contexts. No one is ESSENTIALLY any one thing ("good" or "bad")--in fact non-self, emptiness and inter-dependency undermine this very notion.

Causes and conditions are created by other causes and conditions. To place dotted lines around anyone to lay blame for any one thing is not really helpful for others or for ourselves.

None of this negates the very harmful things Ms. Thatcher did in life, but neither did she do those things single-handedly (she was, after all, an elected official). It is lamentable her support of Pinochet and her policies that caused a great deal of harm to the UK and abroad. But it is more helpful to pinpoint the harmful actions themselves rather than pinning it on someone, as if that let's us off the hook for our own response-ability. The blame game is really just another unhelpful delusion. I at least know that I need to be reminded of that from time to time.

You make some good points.

Her job was to skillfully represent the people who elected her. Whether or not she was skillful is difficult to say, but I imagine like most politicians it was -- as you point out -- a mixed bag. On the other hand, in some ways, "the buck stops here" philosophy also applies.

Attacking people upon their death, long after they've been out of public service...particularly through a much beloved song from 1939...well, at best it's a cheap shot. I think back to Bill Clinton's attitude at the death of Richard Nixon -- that it's time to put the bitter past behind us and remember that this is a man (albeit a very flawed man). And it sort of bothers me that some group of people -- most of whom have probably done very little in their lives -- feel the need to attack an 87 year old woman who had suffered a series of strokes, probably had cancer, and may have had Alzheimers.

On the other hand, she was a public figure, so she put herself in a position to be critiqued. But then again, playing the song about the wicked witch of the north is hardly an intelligent critique.

And, BTW, just for the record, I'm a somewhat liberal American Democrat.

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    U.S. President Harry S. Truman once observed, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

He also had a plaque on his desk that read, "The buck stops here."
  • There's too much hypocrisy on this issue. Just because someone is dead does not change what they did when alive. You don't become a saint just by dying. I applaud anyone who expresses their feelings honestly instead of playing the bullshit game.
    MaryAnne
  • poptart said:

There's too much hypocrisy on this issue. Just because someone is dead does not change what they did when alive. You don't become a saint just by dying. I applaud anyone who expresses their feelings honestly instead of playing the bullshit game.

I don't think anyone here has suggested Margaret Thacher should be canonised as a saint - but she shouldn't be demonised either. Point out her harmful actions, yes, absolutely. She propogated some harmful ideas and policies and helped support dictators such as Pinochet. But who benefits from heaping scorn on her (or anyone) as a person? And what is that "benefit"?
    Invincible_summer
    poptart said:

...I applaud anyone who expresses their feelings honestly instead of playing the bullshit game.

And then again, there's "right speech".

"Right speech" ... let me see ... I think I've heard that line somewhere before, but refresh my memory ... what exactly is "right speech?" Is that the stuff that you like but I may not? Is that the stuff that never singes or stings, but rolls off the tongue with a kind of languid, non-specific serenity? Is that the stuff that is invariably kooler than anything I say? Is that the stuff where, if I don't use it, I get my mouth washed out with soap? Is that the stuff that gets the Buddhist Seal of Approval?

What is right speech?

I'm only half kidding.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I agree with Glenn Greenwald's general take on the matter, myself. Critics of public figures (tasteful or otherwise) have as much of a right to be vocal about them and their legacy after their passing as admirers and supporters. In my opinion, Thatcher said and did many things worthy of criticism, and I think that working-class Brits in particular have legitimate grounds to celebrate the passing of someone who enacted policies and embodied attitudes that've arguable hurt them (as well as social progress and the general welfare) directly.

That's my two cents, at any rate.
    poptart
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Could someone explain what the topic of this discussion is? I must have missed something in the news.

:confused:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Dakini - Margaret Thatcher died, and a subset of the British population (mostly working class or trade union families and lefties) are celebrating.
    Dakini said:

Could someone explain what the topic of this discussion is? I must have missed something in the news.

:confused:

Margret Thatcher passed away a couple of days ago. It basically centres around that and how some people are reacting.
    Jason said:

I agree with Glenn Greenwald's general take on the matter, myself. Critics of public figures (tasteful or otherwise) have as much of a right to be vocal about them and their legacy after their passing as admirers and supporters. In my opinion, Thatcher said and did many things worthy of criticism, and I think that working-class Brits in particular have legitimate grounds to celebrate the passing of someone who enacted policies and embodied attitudes that've arguable hurt them (as well as social progress and the general welfare) directly.

That's my two cents, at any rate.

But I think we're talking about 2 different things here.

What I think you're mostly talking about is critiquing their performance in office. Here are their successes. Here are their failures. And the balance is _____. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just last evening I met a new friend from India and we talked about culture, and religion, and eventually about politicians. And I commented on an interesting selection of political books he had -- bios of Nixon (although it turned out to be Pat), Carter, and a couple of others. We very much disagreed about the legacy of Carter. And each of us made valid points, and that's fair, and that's adult, and that's mature.

But what the original post was about was the song "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead". Now, we had a parent in our school who died, and when the daughter came back to school some jerk of a kid sang that song to her. And we labeled that as bullying.

Singing that because a human being has died -- IS THAT METTA? Or is metta reserved only for those people we like and agree with? You cannot tell me that when Thatcher died and someone is singing "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead", that that is an example of Buddhist loving compassion for all.

And even though I very much disliked Thatcher, when I heard the "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" celebration, the word that came to my mind was snide (synonyms include hateful, nasty, base, cynical, disparaging, hurtful, insinuating, malicious, mean, sarcastic, scornful, sneering, spiteful, unkind). And those are not words I associate with Buddhism. The words I associate with Buddhism include the antonyms of those words (gentle, kind, loving, nice).

Intelligent critiquing, even if blunt. No problem there. But acting like children on the playground...well, that's just Buddhism to me, and to me it falls under the category of wrong speech.

riverflow
    Correction: Intelligent critiquing, even if blunt. No problem there. But acting like children on the playground...well, that's just NOT Buddhism to me, and to me it falls under the category of wrong speech.
    edited April 2013
    vinlyn said:

Singing that because a human being has died -- IS THAT METTA? Or is metta reserved only for those people we like and agree with? You cannot tell me that when Thatcher died and someone is singing "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead", that that is an example of Buddhist loving compassion for all.

No, it's not. But then, most of them singing it probably aren't Buddhists, and Thacther said and did a lot of unmetta-like things herself. Skillful or not, many people obviously feel strongly about this and are expressing themselves in a genuine way despite what we may think about they ways they're doing so.
    vinlyn said:

But what the original post was about was the song "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead". Now, we had a parent in our school who died, and when the daughter came back to school some jerk of a kid sang that song to her. And we labeled that as bullying.

That's different than what's happening here, though, and I think Greenwald makes that distinction clear.
    ^ Just for the record, I'm referring to some of the responses here on this forum.
    edited April 2013
    vinlyn said:

^ Just for the record, I'm referring to some of the responses here on this forum.

And I'd still say that many people obviously feel strongly about this and are expressing themselves in a genuine way despite what we may think about they ways they're doing so. Even Buddhists are capable of getting caught up in the moment and being cheeky or even downright vulgar on occasion. God knows I'm certainly not immune to such things. Moreover, is judging them for their actions any more Buddhist-like than what they're saying or doing?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I was listening to CBC radio when the news came that she died. They played the song "Maggie's farm" by Bob Dylan, which was the anthem of anti-Thatchers.

I have a book called "Buddha, his life and teachings". I'm not sure if they are all from suttas, but in one of them the Buddha called the King a very vile word. It had something to do with vomit or something.

I don't see anyting wrong with those two things but I would think it's classy to not play Ding Dong the witch is dead.
  • vinlyn said:

Correction: Intelligent critiquing, even if blunt. No problem there. But acting like children on the playground...well, that's just NOT Buddhism to me, and to me it falls under the category of wrong speech.

You're very good at judging people, aren't you? Right speech is in the eye of the beholder. For some people your attitude could be summed up as censorship.
    Nonsense. The definition of censorship is: "The practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts." I have no official standing.

Do I judge people. Sure. Just like you just did.
  • Here is a taste of the truth about Margaret Thatcher and her legacy.
  • vinlyn said:

Fine. But if you are going to sit in judgement at least try to educate yourself about the reasons for people's behaviour. Apart from Fox News, that is.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    genkaku said:

"Right speech" ... let me see ... I think I've heard that line somewhere before, but refresh my memory ... what exactly is "right speech?" Is that the stuff that you like but I may not? Is that the stuff that never singes or stings, but rolls off the tongue with a kind of languid, non-specific serenity? Is that the stuff that is invariably kooler than anything I say? Is that the stuff where, if I don't use it, I get my mouth washed out with soap? Is that the stuff that gets the Buddhist Seal of Approval?

What is right speech?

I'm only half kidding.

Well fortunately or unfortunately for us on this Buddhist Forum
    The Buddha has given us what HE considers wrong speech
    You would if you were interested, find it in the Majjhima Nikaya.
    He says clearly and unambiguously that;
    Non factual speech
    untrue speech
    speech that does not contribute to the goal of Enlightenment
    unendearing speech
    and speech that IS DISAGREEABLE TO OTHERS
    Are all wrong speech and will lead sooner or later to suffering.

But I am sure there are those who disagree.
    riverflowvinlyn
    He says clearly and unambiguously that;
    Non factual speech
    untrue speech
    speech that does not contribute to the goal of Enlightenment
    unendearing speech
    and speech that IS DISAGREEABLE TO OTHERS
    Are all wrong speech and will lead sooner or later to suffering.
    @Citta -- "Unambiguously" ... how wonderful ... for a while.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I would be interested to learn from you genkaku where you think any ambiguity resides in the passage that addresses right speech in the Majjhima Nikaya.
    Or alternatively how that absence of ambiguity is somehow temporary.
    But if its a problem, lets leave out the term 'unambiguously.'
    The words of the Buddha as recorded in the Majjhima Nikaya state in Thanissaro's translation
    that non factual speech ( speculative speech )
    untrue speech..speech that seeks deliberately to mislead
    unendearing and disagreeable speech..speech that in its manner causes an emotional reaction that diverts attention away from the content of such speech..
    lead to future suffering.

Conversely, that speech which deals with facts not speculation ( papanca )
    truthful speech
    diplomatic speech
    and speech which while being truthful, addresses issues not personalities..
    such speech leads to a reduction in suffering.
    I would be interested to hear which of these in your view is a statement that misrepresents the Buddha's teaching, or is a mistranslation.
  • 'When we protest against a war, for example, we may assume we are a peaceful person, a representative of peace, but this isn't necessarily true. If we look deeply we will observe that the roots of war are in the unmindful ways we have been living. We have not sown enough seeds of peace and understanding in ourselves and others, and therefore we are co-responsible. A more holistic approach is the way of interbeing. The essential nature of interbeing is understanding that "this is like this, because this is like that." We only exist in this interconnected way. This is the way of understanding and love. With this insight, we can see clearly and be more effective. Then we can go to a demonstration and say, "This war is unjust, destructive, and not worthy of our great nation." This is far more effective than simply angrily comdemning others. Acting and speaking out of anger almost always accelerates the damage.'

~Thich Nhat Hanh, For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life

...Written by a man who "by all rights" ought to be shaking his fist furiously, considering how terribly HIS country was ruined far worse than the UK. But he isn't. Why is that?
    @Citta -- The only way I can adequately accept your challenge is to suggest that anyone might need to examine all speech ... right, wrong or indifferent. Personally ... leave philosophy and religion out of it.

Speak one word, any word: Is it true? Maybe yes, maybe no ... but it's your word or mine, your choice or mine. I'm not suggesting that it's not nice to be nice. I am suggesting that the world is far more interesting and intriguing and full of sass than anything that might be "right" or "wrong." But again, that's your choice or mine. I like Gautama as well as the next fellow and am grateful he put his energies where he did. But even Gautama pointed out that I would be a fool to rely on him.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    The fact that you perceive my request as a 'challenge' is almost as interesting as the suggestion that religious and/or philosophical consideration should be left out of a topic as central to our dealings with each other as speech, on a clearly signalled Buddhist forum.

But if you want a challenge ,perhaps you could provide a reference to The Buddhas saying that we would be fools to accept his view.
    Or that accepting his view amounts to relying on him in some perjorative sense...
    poptart said:

vinlyn said:

Fine. But if you are going to sit in judgement at least try to educate yourself about the reasons for people's behaviour. Apart from Fox News, that is.
    Poptart, three things.

First, you're criticizing me for judging people, and look what you do. I don't listen to FOX news. I'm a middle of the road Democrat. I listen to CNN and MSNBC.

Second, if you've actually read my posts in this thread, you would know that I heaped not one ounce of praise on Margaret Thatcher. I said nothing good about Margaret Thatcher. That hasn't been my point from the beginning.

Third, this idea that everything that is thought has to be said is not wise. In fact, that is the whole point of "right thought". We have a political system in the United States right now that can barely function. The right is making no real progress. The left is making no real progress. And one of the main reasons that has happened is due to the war of words that rages constantly. It began in the era of "Point - Counterpoint" on "60 Minutes" and was further fueled by "Crossfire" on CNN, at which point it became what politicians did...as exemplified by people like Newt Gingrich. And it's been going downhill ever since. Where every slam has to be spoken...or yelled. Where the political last word has to be achieved by each side, even though...of course...no one will ever have the last word. Because despite all the verbiage, most of the time neither side is capable of talking to the other side. Tit for tat. And that goes on forever. It heightens bitter feelings that are then left simmering until the next battle. And I'm sorry, but I don't feel that the "poke a stick in their eye" attitude really -- in this case, even upon death -- accomplishes much of anything except to continue the downward spiral of political discourse.

Right now we have a potentially very deadly scenario unfolding in North Korea. Shall we take the same road map. Keep poking sticks in each others' eyes? And where will that lead us? Probably to some level of war.

The title of this thread is about the power of music. And has so often been repeated, "power corrupts".

riverflowpersonInvincible_summer
  • Margaret Thatcher was a political figure. Political figures please some people, piss off others. That is the nature and unavoidable side effect of their job. She may be someone's mother, sister, grandmother, auntie, whatever. She may have been a perfectly lovely woman in her parlor or at tea time in the country club; I don't know, and frankly I don't care. THAT aspect of M. Thatcher doesn't affect my life or the lives of those in the UK.

But the OP / musical commentary was not aimed at her PERSONAL life... it was aimed at her political life- and, as we all acknowledge, politicians can't make everyone happy all the time.
    Thatcher's political power and views affected people in the UK when she was in office, and much of what she did still does affect people, every day since then as well.

Why must this thread turn into a Buddhist Perspective Pissing Contest like too many others do, lately? SMH
    perhaps you could provide a reference to The Buddhas saying that we would be fools to accept his view.
    @Citta -- I gather you want some approved-text reference and if that is the case, perhaps this will do:
    Therefore, Ananda, be a lamp unto yourself, be a refuge to yourself. Take yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth as a lamp; hold fast to the Truth as a refuge. Look not for a refuge in anyone beside yourself. And those, Ananda, who either now or after I am dead shall be a lamp unto themselves, who take themselves to no external refuge, but holding fast to the Truth as their lamp, and holding fast to the Truth as their refuge, shall not look for refuge to anyone beside themselves, it is they who shall reach the highest goal."
    -- Mahaparinibbana Sutta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I see in that Sutta a positive urging towards holding fast to Truth..rendered in this translation with a capital to indicate the fact that there is Truth beyond the merely subjective.
    Just as I notice that there is a goal..in fact that there is a 'highest' goal.
    I see no relativism, or references to ' foolishness ' in striving toward that goal.
    No indicators of virtue in making our own goal, or relying on our own subjective truth.
    What is ours and ours alone is the effort needed.
    Not the means and not the end.
    riverflow
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@Dakini - Margaret Thatcher died, and a subset of the British population (mostly working class or trade union families and lefties) are celebrating.

Oh, thanks. Seems that the time to celebrate would have been when she left power. I think people in the US probably celebrated when Reagan and Bush II got out of the way, but to celebrate someone's death is kind of icky.