Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hero worship

edited April 2013 in General Banter
In Abrahamic traditions, it is explained away as idolatry. If God does not occupy our center, then another object will take its place and become our new (and false) god.

How is it explained in Buddhist psychology? Most people, even on this 'enlightened' forum, love celebrity wisdom and quote them all the time - of course, they'd ignore that wisdom if it came from the common man. It is therefore evident that people, even so-called buddhists, indulge in hero worship (although when confronted they'd say they just admire them, trying to learn from them, etc.).

What's the buddhist take on this? Is there something equivalent to idolatry?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Yes I have a number of heroes. They include Richard Feynman, Fritz Perls, Kate Bush, John Lennon, k.d. laing, Neil Young, Lionel Messi, T.S Elliott, Thomas Merton and Herman Melville, and in the Buddhist world Norbu Rinpoche, Ajahn Sumedho, Situ Rinpoche, Nak'chang Rinpoche, and many others.
    If thats idolatory I dont care. If that is hero worship thats fine by me.
    And if you @music don't approve, I dont give a shit.

_/\_
    MaryAnneTheEccentricInvincible_summerSimon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2013
    And these are all common men, to their mothers.

And most others as well.

@music - what's the point of this (yet more) papañca...?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    federica said:

And most others as well.

Mention of mothers reminds me that Ajahn Munindo ( another object of my incurable hero worship ) who is a New Zealander by birth, says that when he has occasionally visited his parents since his ordination his mum insists on calling him by his birth name..so when lunch is ready she calls out " Keeeith ! "...
    He tells this story to anyone ( like me ) who he thinks is projecting too much..
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The point is as always, not the-thing-in-itself. Its the awareness of true significance.
    riverflow
  • of course, they'd ignore that wisdom if it came from the common man.
    some of us would, some of us wouldn't. I'd say it is a gross generalization, as you have no way of knowing that. You state your impression, as if it was a fact.

Every one can be my teacher and I stay open to this possibility every single day. It proves useful. I think majority of people here do. We all posses similar qualities, have similar problems, delusions etc. we are in it together so... other people are just mirror images of ourselves and every time we disagree with this fact, we just perpetuate the illusion of "self".

I don't really think it serves any purpose to look for analogies in Buddhism. Worship is a really strong word, I don't like how it sounds and I think it belongs more to where it comes from - Abrahamic religions. Thou shalt not worship false idols, thou shalt have no other gods... you are either on our team... or completely wrong therefore can burn in hell you heathen.

What is this center of ours that is occupied, anyways? The guru is in you, in me, in everyone.

Much love to you (to me, to everyone)!
    riverflowpersonInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    @music I dont which of the two Krishnamurtis you are reading. But either of them are a good way to continually subtly miss the point of Buddhadharma.
  • federica said:

And most others as well.

It helps to compare and find out what went wrong. It is not enough to worship gandhi, dalai lama, steven seagal (he is also a lama, right?), etc. Realization lies in its practice. But idolators continually miss this point - they start a fan club, just like worldly people, so what's the diff.? At least Abrahamic traditions are quite prudent in this regard - they understood man's psychology very well.
  • Attachment to any doctrine as absolute (relative as absolute, or absolute as absolute)--because one is therefore clinging to a concept rather than real-izing the lived reality to which the doctrine points. Hence the need for the Two Truths doctrine in Buddhism which serves to undermine such clinging. Buddhist doctrines do not contain information but rather are various methods to real-ize awakening. The point of Buddhist doctrines is note merely to believe in them--they are only a means to an end: "The ambrosial teaching of sunyata aims at abolishing all conceptions. But if someone BELIEVES in sunyata he is lost!" (Nagarjuna)

The problem is that we lack epistemological humility--we actually think words can contain truth is some fixed way: as if understanding the truth were merely a matter of believing it, agreeing with an ideology. Buddhism contains sets of doctrines to be used in order to understand Buddhist doctrines as methods rather than as a truth to which one merely assents: the Two Relevances, the Four Standards of Truth, and the Four Reliances.

These doctrines point to the SKILLFUL use of all Buddhist doctrines as a means to awakening which depend on the person, the circumstance, the issues being addressed, etc. In the end, there is nothing to cling to, even non-attachment, but this has to be done step by step. That's the meaning behind the old Zen saying, "If you see the Buddha beside the side of the road, kill him!" The very clinging to Buddhist doctrines as a truth to be believed in is the very thing that ultimately stands between oneself and awakening to suchness. In other words, one cannot KNOW their way to nirvana. Otherwise their would be no need for practice. Just read a couple books, agree with their contents and there! problem solved!

Or, in the words of the Muslim mystic an-Niffari, "Fixed knowledge is fixed ignorance" and "The letter does not enter presence. The people of presence pass by the letter. They do not stay." (from The Book of Standings).

What happens at its most extreme clinging to doctrines is absolute is the inability to address another human being as a human being--one cuts themselves off because the ideology has more value than life itself--which is WHY extremists are able to murder "in the name of _____." (fill in the blank with any god or ideology taken as an absolute)

But these are extreme cases. It happens on smaller scales every day also: If, for example, one says that gay people are somehow inferior, wrong or evil, often with the support of an ideology to which they fervently cling, they can go so far as to even shun their own children. Their child is no longer able to be addressed as "you" because the abstract ideology outweighs the life of their own child! Ironically, their "god" IS an "idol" to which their child is, in a certain sense, sacrificed. (having been in the Church of Christ many years ago, I am well acquainted with this sort of thing)

Unless someone were to kill or sacrifice a relationship or refuse to address another human being as a human being for the sake of some person, so-called "hero worship" is the least of my concerns. There are traits of some figures I like, but they certainly had their blind spots to--there is no manichean purity (purely good or evil) to be found in anyone. It is immature to expect it to be otherwise.

Off the top of my head, people I do admire greatly would be Thich Nhat Hanh, Seneca, Eckhart, Spinoza, Josquin Desprez, Bach, Socrates, Diogenes, Thomas Paine, Thoreau, Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, MLK, Hannah Arendt, Thomas Merton, Dorothy Day, Carl Sagan... As long as I am not saying "If you don't like Thoreau, well then screw you!" I don't think there is a real concern...

robotMaryAnnepersonInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    And as long as you are not saying " lets sulk and cut the heads off all the tall poppies because they are tall.."
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

federica said:

And most others as well.

It helps to compare and find out what went wrong. It is not enough to worship gandhi, dalai lama, steven seagal (he is also a lama, right?), etc. Realization lies in its practice. But idolators continually miss this point - they start a fan club, just like worldly people, so what's the diff.? At least Abrahamic traditions are quite prudent in this regard - they understood man's psychology very well.
    Well maybe. But doesn't one of the Abrahamic religions encourage us to see another human being as God?
    Which as upaya-kaushalya is quite OK with me.
    riverflow
  • Is there something equivalent to idolatry?
    Tantra is big on the 'worship' of idols or ideals.
    The thinking is we are all shit heads, so why not fill up on good liberating shit . . .

The reason to idealise and venerate the three jewels is not due to greater merit but greater skilful entanglement.

There are heroic and inspiring Buddhas, reformers and internal potentials. It is people who have made the greatest movement that are inspiring.

A Sufi son of a beggar was asked about his years of training with his Sufi Instructor. Was the training difficult for someone with such lowly origins to a refined, enlightened status? The Sufi acknowledged that much training, learning and effort was required.
    'However', said the Sufi, 'there was one whose hardship was much greater than mine, for the change required was far greater. . .'
    What sort of person was this, his audience wished to know. Perhaps a heretic or murderer?
    'He was a former king', the Sufi explained.

:wave:
  • The danger in relying on others to be a source of wisdom is it can make you stop looking for answers in yourself.
    nenkohai
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Perhaps there are no others or self.
    Perhaps wisdom is free floating and does what it wants.
    Perhaps wisdom is Citta-ing and poptart-ing. And Gandhi-ing and Beyonce-ing.
    riverflowhowInvincible_summerSillyPutty
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    music said:

It helps to compare and find out what went wrong.

Where? With whom? How? What are you referring to?
    It is not enough to worship gandhi, dalai lama, steven seagal (he is also a lama, right?),
    Wrong. He has been recognised as a tulku, but that's it.
    Realization lies in its practice. But idolators continually miss this point - they start a fan club, just like worldly people, so what's the diff.? At least Abrahamic traditions are quite prudent in this regard - they understood man's psychology very well.
    Which is more than can be said for me, because I have no clue what you're on about, in this paragraph....

• I'd have to question the contention that Abrahamic religions have any prohibition to "hero worship" since the Bible is built upon it and Muslims in particular worship Muhammad at the same time they insist there is but one God and that is Allah. Heck, the Catholics even turned hero worship into a path to Sainthood.

federicaInvincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

Perhaps worshipping yourself.
    riverflowperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    federica said:

music said:

It helps to compare and find out what went wrong.

Where? With whom? How? What are you referring to?
    It is not enough to worship gandhi, dalai lama, steven seagal (he is also a lama, right?),
    Wrong. He has been recognised as a tulku, but that's it.
    Realization lies in its practice. But idolators continually miss this point - they start a fan club, just like worldly people, so what's the diff.? At least Abrahamic traditions are quite prudent in this regard - they understood man's psychology very well.
    Which is more than can be said for me, because I have no clue what you're on about, in this paragraph....

I AM a worldly people...what is the alternative ? A Martian ? A plaster saint ?
    riverflownenkohaiInvincible_summer
  • The first three precepts from the Order of Interbeing:

Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.

Do not think the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice nonattachment from views in order to be open to receive others' viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrow-mindedness.
    MaryAnnenenkohaipersonInvincible_summer
  • Muslims in particular worship Muhammad at the same time they insist there is but one God
    They don't worship Muhammad. Just as Jews don't worship Moses. They are considered prophets.

The closest to worship is perhaps some Islamic ideas that Muhammad represents a perfected individual and therefore his sayings or Hadith are used as a secondary source of dharma.

Allah is split into 100 attributes. The 100th attribute is only known by camels. I did know a camel that wanted to share but I did not speak camel at the time . . . :wave:
    Zeronenkohairiverflow
  • IDK, man... its all about informed opinion, to me. Non-rigid opinion...

I am totally behind riverflow's last post...
  • Just to clarify, I am talking about hero worship, not mere admiration. Worship is always wrong. It is disgusting and reveals how poor and empty we are within.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    lobster said:

...some Islamic ideas that Muhammad represents a perfected individual...

The perfect 'human' rather than individual.
    But even then the 'perfect' refers to natural perfection... or the 'as is' state.
    and 'human' refers to a metaphoric view of the entire race past, present and future.
    In that sense, the prophet was considered a naturally manifested representation of the natural perfection of all humanity - this esoteric doctrine is the basis of enunciation of all occult masters.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    is this a matter of SOURCE vs. PERIPHERAL?

the peripheral viewpoint suggests that your own existance is secondary to something else

the source viewpoint suggests that you are the center, and existance eminates from you.

but what is the middle way?
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

Just to clarify, I am talking about hero worship, not mere admiration. Worship is always wrong. It is disgusting and reveals how poor and empty we are within.

(Bold type mine)

And of course, in turn you are projecting that mind-set and judgment on most or all of us, based on what -- Nothing more than some comments and posts here in this forum, and the traditions or monks some of us adhere to and quote from. Seriously.....??

How is it you don't expect anyone to get a little offended with that negative projection of yours.... Why not stick to critiquing yourself instead of others?
    Oh, that's right, you're above all that stuff; you're just once again letting us know what you observe about US. Thank you.

:coffee:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think wisdom always comes from within. No matter how wise another person is, and how much you can learn from them and talking to them, you really only gather wisdom from within yourself. No one else can give it to you, unless you get into teacher transmission in which case I still say the wisdom has to be within you to even accept what the teacher has to offer.

I don't know that I worship anyone/anything. It never felt right to me. Of course there are people I look up to and admire, whether that is idolizing, I don't know. Perhaps it is. My dad is at the top of my list. So is my autistic son. Common men in the sense that they are not famous or celebrity. But truly common, not so much.
    poptartpommesetoranges
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    music said:

In Abrahamic traditions, it is explained away as idolatry. If God does not occupy our center, then another object will take its place and become our new (and false) god.

I don't like the premise here. I believe the deeper meaning to idolatry is not the worship of false statues, but the worship of the false concept of God; and all concepts are false. In Buddhism they call concepts 'truth concealers' (well they do in Gelug Buddhism, 'cos that's what I was taught!).

That might sound strange for a lot of folk, but at a simple level, I denied I was an alcoholic for many years because I was not like the (false) concept of an alcoholic I had in my head; I mean I wasn't in the gutter screaming abuse at passing buses; so my concept (my idolatry) of what an alcoholic was like concealed the truth from me that I was indeed an alkie.

So, I think that idolatry is not worshipping concepts (believing them to be the ultimate truth) and that Buddhism just explains that concepts are illusory, and that the idea is to see beyond the illusion.

That's my spin on it anyway!
    nenkohaiperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    From the Dzogchen perspective idolatry is thinking that there is anything, outside or inside, which is permanent and unchanging..
    nenkohaiTheEccentricriverflow
  • music said:

How is it explained in Buddhist psychology? Most people, even on this 'enlightened' forum, love celebrity wisdom and quote them all the time - of course, they'd ignore that wisdom if it came from the common man. It is therefore evident that people, even so-called buddhists, indulge in hero worship (although when confronted they'd say they just admire them, trying to learn from them, etc.).

The celebrity worldly status isn't important what is is there compassion for others and the actions they carry out. When some of their wisdom is shared through words and others repost it may act as inspiration. A kick start to get the "ball rolling".

Ex. Feeding the poor
    riverflow
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I will always "worship" my heroes Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Gandhi, Mary I/Mary Tudor of England, Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Atisha, Je Tsongkhapa and of course the Buddha no matter whether people consider it idolatrous or not.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Respect is one thing, but worshiping entertainers at the same level as people like Gandhi and Buddha...oh my gawd.
    riverflowInvincible_summerTheEccentric
  • I will always "worship" my heroes Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Gandhi, Mary I/Mary Tudor of England, Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Atisha, Je Tsongkhapa and of course the Buddha no matter whether people consider it idolatrous or not.

That's an interesting celebrity database you have there.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    music said:

I will always "worship" my heroes Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Gandhi, Mary I/Mary Tudor of England, Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Atisha, Je Tsongkhapa and of course the Buddha no matter whether people consider it idolatrous or not.

That's an interesting celebrity database you have there.
    I like to keep a good variety :)
    musicCittaInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Humans are an innate expression of lost love.

All of our motivations return this truth..

Idolatry, like any attachment, is a search for a way
    back to becoming reconnected to that innate love,
    and the Buddhist version of cosmic truth
    says that it was all a dream of our own making.

Zen calls this dream..the self.
    losing it is Zen's way home..
    nenkohaiZeropommesetoranges
  • lobster said:

Muslims in particular worship Muhammad at the same time they insist there is but one God
    They don't worship Muhammad. Just as Jews don't worship Moses. They are considered prophets.

The closest to worship is perhaps some Islamic ideas that Muhammad represents a perfected individual and therefore his sayings or Hadith are used as a secondary source of dharma.

Allah is split into 100 attributes. The 100th attribute is only known by camels. I did know a camel that wanted to share but I did not speak camel at the time . . . :wave:

There's a big difference between what people claim and the reality. Just try to publish a cartoon of Muhammad and a cartoon of a President and see which one brings death threats. Of course they worship him. If they didn't worship him, they would have no excuse to kill in his name.

I'm not saying they think he's God. Hero worship isn't about claiming someone is God. It's treating someone as elevated above the rest of humanity and thus privilaged.

• Cinorjer said:

lobster said:

Muslims in particular worship Muhammad at the same time they insist there is but one God

There's a big difference between what people claim and the reality. Just try to publish a cartoon of Muhammad and a cartoon of a President and see which one brings death threats. Of course they worship him. If they didn't worship him, they would have no excuse to kill in his name.

I'm not saying they think he's God. Hero worship isn't about claiming someone is God. It's treating someone as elevated above the rest of humanity and thus privilaged.

It is called attachment. People are attached to their moms, for instance, and even a mild-mannered person may become violent when he hears bad things about his mom. Doesn't mean he worships his mother - he may even quarrel with her, may not even visit her often. But the attachment will turn him violent.
    riverflowlobster
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Just a quick point about quotes... I have a journal of a sort in which I copy down things that I find insightful. I have entire sutras copied and I have just the random quotes from here and there. Some of the writers I'm not even familiar with, but when something is insightful, it resonates, you know? I also have quotes from people on this board in my book (I'll never tell who :) ) and they are hardly celebrities. The point is in its usefulness. It's not always about WHO said it... I think we share these things because they meant something to us, not because we want to seem knowledgeable or cool because I know who Dogen is or whoever. After all, before they were celebrities or Buddhist superstars, they were just normal people. I would imagine, in most cases, they became heros because they expounded insightful wisdom. There's no shame in finding something insightful after a million or billion people before you have already reached the same conclusion.

Also, your post is just like dripping with passive-aggressiveness. Did you intend it?
    riverflow
  • I forget the exact... er, quote... but Seneca wrote somewhere that wisdom belongs to no one but is available to all. (Emerson likewise said something to the same effect)