Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you deal with rude people?

DandelionDandelion London Veteran
Hello forum members.
As is the case for all from time to time, we encounter rude people, and yes, they are viewed as our teachers, from a buddhist perspective. But, how to deal with those situations is something I really struggle with. My main encounters with rude and aggresive people are at work. I have two jobs, one in the morning where I work in a bakery and serve customers, and then when I go home, as an artist. The artists life earns me very little, hence the need to supplement my income with my morning job. On the whole, as a little part time job, it's ok, I don't mind being there. Modern life is stressful for everyone, and living and working in a busy city I see a lot of anger, aggression, and gereally rude behaviour. Bad manners. I struggle to deal with customers like this, and at the end of every week on my day off i'm left feeling like a zombie that just needs to sleep. I don't really know what it is I need to change about myself in order to deal with this effectively, but obviously something needs to change. I try really hard to have compassion. In my local post office, there is a sigh saying 'rude and aggresive people will not be tolerated', I wish the bakers had one of those too. It seems to me, that knowing how to deal with rude people in a way that doesn't cause offence to them, but at the same time makes it clear you're not at work to be abused, is a skill worth learning, and a skill I would like to learn. And preferably by 6:30 am on Monday morning lol!

Comments

• How about a bright and cheery sign with some smiling donuts and pastries on it that reads:

"SMILE! ~ You're in a BAKERY... what could be better than that?!"

And then project what you wish to see projected back- a smile, a warm greeting and a thank you, all with a cheery disposition.

I've worked at some really downer jobs in my day, but eventually I always became the one to keep things upbeat and positive, even when dealing with rude aholes. If they did get to me (and believe me, plenty of times they did) I'd NEVER let it show until they were gone.... this made it much easier for others to do the same, and we'd laugh it off together. Positive attitudes spread, but so do negative ones.
    Spread the Love, @Dandelion! ;)

riverflowkarmabluesJeffreyKundo
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I'm not allowed a sign, I have already asked. I could say that though, humour is good!
    MaryAnne
  • Make a t shirt or apron that says it
    MaryAnne
  • what kind of bakery do you work in? A mom and pop owned store? A large chain store bakery? Why won't they allow a sign? I like the t-shirt or apron idea too.... if they don't have an established uniform or dress code, I say wear it! And wear it proudly. Don't be afraid, you're not out to insult anyone or mock them. You're out to make people HAPPY. It's like wearing tie-dye! ;-)
    riverflow

Make a t shirt or apron that says it

oh if I could I would. But i'd get sacked for not wearing the correct uniform. @MaryAnne I ALWAYS start off that way, but it just doesn't always work. I do know what you mean about projecting what you want projected back but I swear some ppl see staff in retail outlets purely as a dumping ground for their crap. Shall I offer meditation mats? I think they need them. We all do. I have tried different approaches, including directly asking someone not to be rude... the look on their faces.... HOW DARE I ASK FOR COURTEOUS BEHAVIOUR!!
  • MaryAnne said:

I've worked at some really downer jobs in my day, but eventually I always became the one to keep things upbeat and positive, even when dealing with rude aholes. If they did get to me (and believe me, plenty of times they did) I'd NEVER let it show until they were gone.... this made it much easier for others to do the same, and we'd laugh it off together. Positive attitudes spread, but so do negative ones.
    Spread the Love, @Dandelion! ;)

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS THIS THIS THIS ! ! ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^

I really have nothing to add, but to say @MaryAnne has got it! I work in a hospital (and who wants to go to a hospital?) and I've met many many many unhappy patients and visitors-- especially in the ER. But truly, your disposition can turn things around amazingly. And sometimes the effect has to accumulate over time (some of the "harder cases" haha) but it works. I actually feel more energized by doing it too, whereas getting caught up in the negativity and reacting (even if only mentally) can drain me. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the better you get at it.

"Take a sad song and make it better!"
    karmabluesChrysalidMaryAnneAkane
  • Actually in my job I deal with a lot of this and an easy thing to do is to merely state,
    you look pissed, or having a rough time...in the tone of a question. And then just be quiet and observant, with flat affect. Its like throwing a pebble in to the water...many times the person is not even aware of how they are acting or appear...and most will immediately change....However if they know they are, then I am short and curt yet continue with the flat affect. Most folks want to react to your affect, but if its flat they don't know how to respond or they know that you will not play their game and take it elsewhere.
    DandelionJeffrey
    MaryAnne said:

what kind of bakery do you work in? A mom and pop owned store? A large chain store bakery? Why won't they allow a sign? I like the t-shirt or apron idea too.... if they don't have an established uniform or dress code, I say wear it! And wear it proudly. Don't be afraid, you're not out to insult anyone or mock them. You're out to make people HAPPY. It's like wearing tie-dye! ;-)

A large chain. I can imagine i'm wearing that apron though lol! I think it's me that has to change, in my own attitude and feelings towards rude people. It makes me be rude back sometimes when I get so sick of it, and that's not good. I don't like being rude. But to say nothing makes me feel like a doormat.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Sometimes it is rude to push people into new views. Instead, we can become more pliable and dance with them in a way that has deep consideration for where they are at.

Angry people are like an overstuffed balloon, unskillfully bursting with energy when their view becomes painful. It is enough pain in the world that it happens for them, there is no need to take it in or try to defend. Just look! Their anger has nothing to do with us or the external situation, they are stuck in a place of dual thinking where "things make them angry." It is rude to say "anger makes those things" because that only adds to the pressure (unless we are skillful/heartrooted enough to reach them with such an idea)

Better to do no harm, and acknowledge the truth of what is in front of us. Then as our confidence and metta grows for our brothers and sisters experiencing such painful compression, we can help them by offering metta-crumbs along their path with the hope that they find peace.

"You sound angry, which must be painful for you. I'm here for you, my friend, how can I help?"

We don't seem to want to help angry people, we call them names and invent conceptions to protect us from their energy. That armor is what chokes our metta, and gives us the illusion that we need thicker and thicker armor to stay loving in the face of such rude, inconsiderate, judgmental, angry people. Really, those conceptions create our own compression with which we suffer.

If we see people compressing and decompressing ideas and emotions with varying levels of skillfulness, we are naturally attuned to the three marks and our compression dissipates. And we become more skillful, feel less dual, remain happy, help them more authentically, etc etc.

Dealing with the angry boss is really only a matter of dealing with the false view of self that you are applying to their behaviors. When children cry, don't you wish to hug them? Do you wish to protect your ears?

With warmth,
    Matt
    riverflowkarmablues

Actually in my job I deal with a lot of this and an easy thing to do is to merely state,
    you look pissed, or having a rough time...in the tone of a question. And then just be quiet and observant, with flat affect. Its like throwing a pebble in to the water...many times the person is not even aware of how they are acting or appear...and most will immediately change....However if they know they are, then I am short and curt yet continue with the flat affect. Most folks want to react to your affect, but if its flat they don't know how to respond or they know that you will not play their game and take it elsewhere.

I will try this! Thanks!
  • Matt's stuff is good if you want to do a therapeutic thing, but my thing is just to be merely a mirror.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

Matt's stuff is good if you want to do a therapeutic thing, but my thing is just to be merely a mirror.

Its true that I feel a capability and responsibility to help. Such as I would not mirror for my daughter: "yes, you have poop and it makes you cry" I do something different.
    riverflow
    @aMatt yes I really liked what you have said. If I am honest, I don't feel able to really help ppl that are rude to me right now, but nor do I want to add to their misery. It has been a hell of a couple of yrs, and, so the energy levels are quite low you see. But, it is a goal for the future... to have that level of compassion and patience i imagine is only really seen in people with the calmest and most patient of demeanours; I have a long way to go! Currently, my husband is about to start therapy for his own problems, dealing with a very difficult man that I love the bones of takes up most of the patience I have and there is little to spare. I expect why I struggle to deal with any other added rudeness from strangers. But, this is most certainly teaching me things.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Yes, precisely! The difficulty is always within, and even with that said the palace of dandelion has its own stress which has to decompress.

Perhaps for a peaceful heart and mind, you could imagine your "daily absorbtions" during meditation as puffballs on the end of a dandelion. Then, with self love blow on the tip and let the moments fly into the wind so they can go back where they arose, and you can be at peace knowing they are not held tight inside you... they are simply ghosts of moments past going home.

With warmth,
    Matt
    Dandelionriverflow
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I used to be that way, unable to deal with folks who did not see me as I thought I was in a very real sense. Then, slowly, it came home to me that EVERYONE has that issue to some degree (that dares to have compassion).

I went from caring inside to showing my caring outside a lot, too much for some and others took advantage of it. I learned, with some swings back and forth, to BALANCE the two. I had to show I cared some, but not too much, and care inside some more than I sometimes showed forth (this hurt some).

Ah, monkey mind tricks.... Well, I am not dismissing your problem with that, but I had to learn to protect my over-caring nature some by not giving it all to each, so I had some caring left for the next person. Buddhism does teach that compassion for all is a goal.

I am a layperson barely scratching the surface of Buddhism now in my practice, so do not think I am trying to be the be-all or end-all here or anything like that here-- Buddhism teaches there is no being suited to serve as be-all or end-all also.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Dandelion said:

My main encounters with rude and aggresive people are at work. I have two jobs, one in the morning where I work in a bakery and serve customers, and then when I go home, as an artist.

Modern life is stressful for everyone, and living and working in a busy city I see a lot of anger, aggression, and gereally rude behaviour. Bad manners. I struggle to deal with customers like this, ....

Your story reminded me of something that happened about 2 weeks ago. The video below is very disturbing, really. But I'm not posting it because of the rudeness factor, but rather due to how the employees of the Dunkin Donuts handled themselves. I thought they were so "Zen" and truly showed how to handle a disgruntled customer. So my suggestion to you is to study the way the employees handled themselves. If you can handle someone this angry and rude and "kill them with kindness" like they did in the video, you'll probably start to feel better about yourself and more confident how you handle troublesome customers. Now, again, this video is disturbing and isn't really something I'd recommend watching just to watch... it's kind of depressing and sad, and I feel bad for everyone involved, including the "customer"... she clearly has a lot of anger and it's sad to see she keeps becoming more and more angry as the employee keeps giving into her demands. I guess she was expecting a different reaction? But just imagine if the employees added fuel to her fire. It would have been awful. (Although, as the employee, I would have politely told her that video recording is not allowed in the establishment and she would need to turn off the camera and/or leave.)

(WARNING: NSFW due to foul language and racist commentary and a bunch of other horrible things... :( )

And I'm not saying that you should "suck it up" and take it, no. These employees, I don't think, did that. I really think these employees recognized that there may be something wrong with the customer and were sympathetic in a sense. As a matter of fact, I read somewhere in one of the news reports that the main male employee is studying to be a doctor. So you can see that he possesses a very compassionate and understanding heart. It was more than just trying to pacify the customer in this instance... it was seeing that the customer was not functioning on a normal emotional level and he felt bad for her. I think that's the key. Just realizing that the kinder you are to these difficult customers, the more you can practice your compassion and help them to see that there's no need to get angry, really.

P.S. After watching this video, even though I have been nice to customer service professionals in the past, I make sure to be *extra* nice now. :lol: I'm very quiet and introverted, so when I'm out I actually force myself to be more social and nice to them, because lord only knows what hell they go through each day after seeing this video. Actually, this should go for everyone we meet in life, but you get the idea. ;)
    @SillyPutty thanks for posting the video, I watched it till the end. Horrific. The customers language especially towards the end is really appalling. I would have called the police, as that situation would have frightened me, you just don't know if someone who is being that aggressive would get physical. I've been working when customers have threstened violence, there was one time when myself and the manager barricaded ourselves in the office at the back till the police came.. a guy threatening to jump over the counter and beat us up. My guess is that the staff probably wondered how far the woman would take her aggression, or rather what her aggression would lead her to do... so it was easier and SAFER for them to just give her what she demanded, than risk getting hurt. Also, you have to be careful when you leave your shift to go home. The incident where myself and the manager locked ourselves in the office, at he end of our shift, he walked me home. You just don't know if they would wait till you finish and then carry on with their hostility.
    SillyPutty

P.S. After watching this video, even though I have been nice to customer service professionals in the past, I make sure to be *extra* nice now. :lol: I'm very quiet and introverted, so when I'm out I actually force myself to be more social and nice to them, because lord only knows what hell they go through each day after seeing this video. Actually, this should go for everyone we meet in life, but you get the idea. ;)

Me too! When i'm not at work, i'm a customer every time I step into a retail outlet, etc. Never in a million yrs would I dream of behaving so badly.
    edited June 2013
    Dandelion said:

I would have called the police

@Dandelion Oh, definitely-- that was the other thing I failed to mention when I posted that. Many news agencies/talk shows who reported on that incident said the same thing. I would have been scared, too. You're right-- you never know just how far they are going to take it. In no way am I advocating sitting there and taking it like I stated above... I think there is a fine line between calming down a disgruntled customer and becoming a punching bag. For whatever reason they didn't call the police/security, but I surely would have. I'm surprised the other customers there didn't do it themselves let alone the employees. But I guess I just posted that as one of the "worst case scenarios" when dealing with a difficult customer. Basically, if you can calm someone like that down, you can deal with the average Joe who grunts at you and tells you to "hurry it up." I guess that was the point I was trying to get across. It's much easier to be nicer now, in my mind, to mildly angry/impatient/rude people after watching that.

Also, kudos to you for putting up with what you have to put up with. When I was in undergrad I did a couple customer service type jobs and luckily most of the customers were just stuck up and impatient. Some were rude, but nowhere near as scary as what you've described or in that video. My hat's off to you. Maybe the simple solution is to just find a different position in a different town/establishment? Maybe that bakery just attracts some angry people for some reason. :eek:

The customer made a comment about how her video was going to get a million hits, it makes me wonder if she's just out to get her 15 minutes of fame at any cost. The staff being collateral. ?. It's very sad indeed. Too many drugs perhaps? Who knows. It can't be much fun being the customer if that's how she really felt she needed to behave, she must be deeply unhappy. Content, relaxed, kind people don't behave like that, I do feel bad for her as well because it must be horrid to be her, in that state. Maybe someone cose to her will have the sense to try and get her help.
    edited June 2013
    Dandelion said:

Me too! When i'm not at work, i'm a customer every time I step into a retail outlet, etc. Never in a million yrs would I dream of behaving so badly.

Me too. And my friend is an awesome example of how people should interact with others in person/on the phone when handling a tough problem. I admire his patience and his ability to troubleshoot any given difficulty. He *always* gets his issues resolved. Why? Because he is so honest and sincere when presenting the problem. Not once have I ever heard him raise his voice, threaten, or become frustrated when trying to deal with a problem either on the phone with a customer service rep or with a sales associate. It may take a while to resolve the problem at hand, but he has taught me by example that there's no need to become flustered about insignificant matters (although I will admit I still do it sometimes myself... but that's a whole other issue right there for another thread... :lol: ). We're all human beings and we all deserve respect and care. I'm still trying to make it to his level of patience and tolerance-- the man is pretty much a saint when it comes to that stuff. :lol: But wouldn't it be wonderful if all people would just treat others as the way they would want to be treated? Sad thing is, many of us don't want to be treated well because we don't think we deserve it. That's the issue, methinks. And that's why we have so many angry, impatient, and sue-crazy people out there. So many people are playing the offensive and the defensive at the same time, that it just becomes overwhelming.
    Dandelion
    @SillyPutty yes, it's in a dodgy area for sure. The last job I had, all the customers were sooo lovely. But, I had to report my manager to the police for domestic violence :( and so i had to quit my job there. so it seems to be an ongoing theme at the moment.... aggression, violence, rudeness.... must be working out some karmic stuff? This is also the reason my husband is going for help. I am tired. Thank you for your kind words :)
    edited June 2013
    Dandelion said:

@SillyPutty yes, it's in a dodgy area for sure. The last job I had, all the customers were sooo lovely. But, I had to report my manager to the police for domestic violence :( and so i had to quit my job there. so it seems to be an ongoing theme at the moment.... aggression, violence, rudeness.... must be working out some karmic stuff? This is also the reason my husband is going for help. I am tired. Thank you for your kind words :)

@Dandelion -- Oh no. :( Sorry to hear you're going through some domestic violence issues. I don't want to agree that it's definitely "karmic stuff" as you put it, but looking at the situation with this new information makes a lot of sense. The same thing has been happening to me. My therapist is AMAZED at how many horrible, nasty, selfish, abusive people have been in my life as a child through adulthood. She's convinced that since I've been stuck in the victim role throughout my life, that I always attract bullies/co-dependent people/abusers. (However, my good friend that I live with is nothing of the sort... he is practically an angel, really... he's restored my faith in humanity and I swear he was sent into my life because I was finally ready to face my "karma" and past issues and start healing. He's a good man and sometimes I think I don't deserve him, really. :( )

Anyway, my therapist likes to point out to me how there's just this common theme of people hurting me and how uncanny it is I keep ending up in the same situations with the same type of people over and over again and I'm honestly not trying to do it-- it's not like I apply for a job and go, "Hey, I wonder if there's anyone at this job who is going to destroy my life?" But the universe has a funny way of forcing us to face the issues we need to face and learn what we need to learn. So maybe you keep encountering more than your fair share of nasty, angry, abusive customers because you need to start learning to love yourself more and stand up for yourself in a healthy way? I don't mean to speak for you and tell you what to do, but I wanted to point out the possibility because it reminds me a lot of what I'm going through right now. What is the saying?... first it's a pebble... then it's a stone... then it's a rock... then it's a boulder... then it's a whole avalanche of mountain that falls on you until you learn the lesson, right? :)

But I'm glad your husband is going for help. Make sure you find someone you can talk to, too, if you haven't already. My ex-husband was really abusive as well. When people meet him, they love him. You'd never think he'd choked me to the point of passing out or threw me into a wall so hard that I put a hole in it. (And this is before I turned into a jaded bitch where you probably would have had every right to do so due to all of my bitterness and anger. :lol: I always joke I must have been Hitler in a past life, because I'm really paying for my karma in this one.) And in psychological and mental terms, he was even worse. I basically married my mother, I joke all of the time. If you ever met them, they seem like the nicest people ever. But narcissistic personalities tend to always have a whipping boy, and I have always fit the role, sadly. They wear two faces to the world. Funny thing is, I talk to my ex like nothing ever happened. We are better as associates and get along fine. It's never a black-and-white thing. Plus, I know I have karmic ties with him. I knew his first and last name before I ever met him. A monk once told me it wasn't a psychic prediction but rather some sort of past life thing that I knew I had to work things out with him. And I think we have. But anyway, I ramble. Time to go to the farmer's market. Cheers. ~
  • Wow, they didn't give her a receipt? I think that may just qualify for the greatest injustice in the history of the world.

I deal with customers to an extent in my line of work, I tend to act like the guy in the video and pretend they're acting rationally even when they're not, that way the situation doesn't escalate and, more often than not, they calm down to the point that they realise they're being foolish and apologise.

I also like how she thought they were doing to do something nasty to her food, but that was ok because she was going to give it to her boyfriend. Lol.
    Chrysalid said:

I also like how she thought they were doing to do something nasty to her food, but that was ok because she was going to give it to her boyfriend. Lol.

I know, that bit was just gold!
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Its ok to put people in their place from time to time!!
    So just tell them straight up and make an example out of them..

Thats what even buddha would do...

One day, when the Buddha was speaking the Dharma for the assembly, a young drunkard staggered into the room. He tripped over some monks who were sitting on the floor and started cursing loudly. His breath reeked of alcohol and filled the air with a sickening stench. Mumbling to himself, he reeled out the door.

Everyone was astonished at his rude behavior, but the Buddha remained calm. "Great assembly!" he spoke, "Take a look at this man! He will certainly lose his wealth and good name. His body will grow weak and sickly. Day and night, he will quarrel with his family and friends until they abandon him. The worst thing is that he will lose his wisdom and become stupid."

So buddha (infront of everyone) name and shamed him.. this man may have felt foolish and embarrassed but buddha did not care, he took the opportunity to name and shame him! (Buddha looked good, the guy looked bad) ;) lol
    DandelionJohnGSillyPutty
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Here the words, not the emotion. Don't match emotions with equal emotions; match emotions with opposite emotions.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I dont agree personally... I say listen to the 'emotion' and 'not' the words...

We can be in control of words...
    Words can lie if we want them to!

Emotions and feeling is something we cannot really control! They dont lie!

Emotiom and feeling is where 'truth' is...

So take notice of peoples emotions which surround their words.. Not their words that surround their emotions!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2013
    zenmyste said:

So buddha (infront of everyone) name and shamed him.. this man may have felt foolish and embarrassed but buddha did not care, he took the opportunity to name and shame him! (Buddha looked good, the guy looked bad) ;) lol

When you say "named and shamed," it is clear that we see different things in the Buddha's words. Wouldn't Buddha's compassion for the drunkard be absolute? As such, wouldn't his tone resonate as one of acceptance of the painful cycle the monks had just observed?

The wind blew in, the wind blew out. The type we just saw blows southeast, so be steadfast or we blow northwest.

With warmth,
    Matt
    riverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    When I encountered rude people when I was a principal, I usually just remembered that the situation would last a few minutes, and I'd just sit or stand there and listen the same as I would if they were being polite. It's only a few minutes...usually.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    zenmyste said:

I dont agree personally... I say listen to the 'emotion' and 'not' the words...

We can be in control of words...
    Words can lie if we want them to!

Emotions and feeling is something we cannot really control! They dont lie!

Emotiom and feeling is where 'truth' is...

So take notice of peoples emotions which surround their words.. Not their words that surround their emotions!

True, but emotion will register quicker, and if negative, we don't hear the words, but reflect the emotion we are encountering. As humans we have an issue with dominance, and defensiveness. When seemed we are being attacked, we naturally want to throw back what's being thrown at us. ;

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I worked in retail at a toy store for many years. no one is more unhappy than a parent who cannot locate the child's desired gift. Being happy at them often just makes them more mad but it's really the best force field against their anger. But our boss also backed us up, and he kicked customers out of the store for being excessively rude and hostile. It's too bad you can't make a sign. Here, almost all the businesses have them, and will not even serve people who are on their cell phones.

I try to remind myself that I don't know why they are crabby or angry, and that it would be hard to live that way all the time. Sometimes just an understanding smile goes a long way, depending why they are having a rough day. Most of the people who stop into the bakery are probably on their way to, or from, jobs that they don't like, dealing with people and situations they don't like, just like you.
    vinlyn said:

When I encountered rude people when I was a principal, I usually just remembered that the situation would last a few minutes, and I'd just sit or stand there and listen the same as I would if they were being polite. It's only a few minutes...usually.

Last time I did that I had a succession of profanities thrown at me, resulting in a final verbal assault of being told to 'shove it', so I imagine in that instance I actually did do the right thing, as I dread to think how that one might have escalated had I said anything! Thankfully the lady in question then left. so, I guess that sometimes it is useful to let the person run their steam dry, free therapy for them lol
    edited June 2013
    @karasti don't get me started on the cell phone malarky. Plain bad manners, not just towards the person who is serving, but to the other customers in the queue waiting for GOD to finish his or her conversation before they will pay, or finish informing us of the rest of their order. And..... breathe.....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Dandelion said:

As is the case for all from time to time, we encounter rude people,

It is your reaction to the rudeness that causes the issue.
    The way that someone interacts with you is like the tip of the iceberg - if someone is inconsiderate to your feelings then it is more than likely that they are equally inconsiderate of themselves.
    If you can see a reason to be courteous then all the better for you.
    The principle may be expounded even without reciprocity.
    Courtesy without limit.
  • Yup, emotions are true, quicker and call them out...thus the previously mentioned mirror metaphor. Your position is merely a validating witness of "yes I see your suffering and it is your suffering"; And for your self, you recognize it is just a fleeting moment and will not stick or attach unless you want it to. And in this you are allowing the person to de-compress but yet not be personally affected by it. It is a gift or a grace for a person that rarely occurs....but you can't freak out about it or it will blow up.

Now if you are attached to it....ask yourself why....why is this resonating with me? And if you want to do "therapy," imho, need to ask yourself and the person if they are willing to engage in the relationship...and you must be courageous and prepared to accept the whole thing...ya can't be repulsed, attached, or judgmental while maintaining a clear mindfulness and a state of grace, ....when this occurs healing moments happen. I visualize this as "eating or feasting on the dead and transforming it into lightness"
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2013
    ya can't be repulsed, attached, or judgmental while maintaining a clear mindfulness and a state of grace, ....when this occurs healing moments happen. I visualize this as "eating or feasting on the dead and transforming it into lightness"
    Well said! Reminds me of "turning into the poison", where we direct our awareness at the energy. I don't consider it "therapy" as you do, it seems helpful in overcoming the thorny view. The Buddha would not be moved, and would stay joyous without attachment to views. This means whatever arises for us that is disturbing, must arise from our side... and there must be something we can do that erodes or removes the attachment generating the emotion.

The energy is already in us (the resonance from the view we have, the "thorn") and by intending clear seeing (simplified into our brothers and sisters with compression/timbers) and metta (we are we after all clouds clear), when we reach out we build our ability to see our own momentum as well as build the physiological strength to accept the moment and move on. Said differently, we flow/dance with as much love as we can in each moment and the energy clears the clouds.

It even seems to work if we "do no harm", wait until the moment passes, but bring it in while its still fresh. "What was there, what was sensed, what was thought and how could I have given metta/grace." Not just "i could have given metta" but "So and so, I realize you were in pain, what could have been going on?" Not in rumination, but long enough to find genuine acceptance and take refuge again in the three jewels.

Mirroring is fine if there is too much going on, and we are choosing our battles. Or, if we're clear seeing enough to address the ignorance directly. I've had some teachers mirror in a way that blew my mind! :) If you have the spaciousness and courage, though, deep looking can be highly rewarding in both joy and helpfulness for all beings, including ourselves, and lends itself well to the chaotic intermingling of forms and views we encounter in the lay life. :)

With warmth,
    Matt
    riverflowDandelion
    @Zero 'courtesy without limit', correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a danger of getting caught up in the whole idiot compassion thing there? Or maybe I misunderstand! I agree with you about my reaction being the problem, but this thread is very useful so a big than
    kyou to everyone for your help
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Buddhism is the middle way, and so with its concept of compassion. And, you need to have compassion for yourself also. So, in the Middle Way sense, yes, because you need to have a measure of compassion for yourself also, you need to limit how much you show forth to others. It is NOT all compassion or no compassion, it is an even measure of some compassion, evenly distributed between yourself and all others, so far as I can grasp it so far.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Dandelion said:

'courtesy without limit', correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a danger of getting caught up in the whole idiot compassion thing there?

Yes - there are risks or consequences to everything we do.
    It seems to me there are two alternatives in this context - either the behaviour displayed towards you will result in you remaining courteous or it will change your mental state to not.
    You live with the effects of that.
    If the person who has brought this to your door is already in a state where discourtesy is the order of the day then what is served by you joining him there?
    It seems only to reinforce the conditions for discourtesy, both for you and the person.
    Which leads back to the reason for being courteous in the first place...
    DandelionJeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    When I was a pharmacy tech one of the 'floater' (substitute teacher like) was a retired Chicago police chief. In observing him he was more flustered being a pharmacist than I would imagine a police chief. On one incident he closed down the window near closing time and a rude customer tried to fling it back open :lol: Another time the phones were all ringing and he said "Jeff, don't answer the phone". He was totally confident in these questionable behaviours. I admired his ability not to back down as a pleaser while at the same time I questioned non-service of customers. I liked him ha!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dandelion said:

Chrysalid said:

I know, that bit was just gold!
    I feel sorry for the boyfriend. Maybe they deserve each other.
    edited June 2013
    zenmyste said:

Its ok to put people in their place from time to time!!

I agree, but when you're dealing with someone that is obviously mentally ill and/or on drugs like in the video (her friends started to claim that she was mentally ill and suffered from some sort of mental disorder after the news broke), shaming them will only complicate matters. Being patient and calm usually diffuses the situation better (but security intervention is usually the best option just to be safe).
  • Sometimes it is nice to be able to calm down someones anger through compassion and understanding.

But every now and then a rude person is just straight up wrong and needs to be called out on their bullshit. That's called standing up for yourself. And I do believe it should be practiced regardless if it's the Buddhist way or not.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Why are your customers rude and aggressive, OP? That seems unusual. Are they unhappy with the service? Are they not yet awake, before having their morning coffee? Have you discussed the problem with your boss? Has he noticed an unusually high percentage of stressed or rude customers? I think we need a bigger picture, here...
    karasti
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I was afraid to ask that question, @Dakini. In school we would get the occasional angry parent, but for the most part, people were pretty pleasant.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    hmm.... well, the OP says her local post office has a sign that says "rude and aggressive people will not be tolerated". Is the OP living in some kind of odd town that's populated by rude and aggressive people? It sounds strange. Is this New York City, lol? This sounds like a Twilight Zone show.

:scratch:
    vinlynSillyPutty
    @Dakini @vinlyn I live in London, U.K i've worked in various parts of this city, and some parts seem to have a higher perdentage of folk with manners, some parts it's a totally different story, with , rudeness and aggresive people a plenty. The shop I work in has a very high turnover of staff AND managers. The last manager I had was worse than the customers, myself and the lady that works the afternoon shift made a formal complaint about him. For me, the crunch part came when he started punching the walls in the kitchen during one of his infamous tantrums. He would never help out on the till, he couldn't hack it. He has been moved to a different shop, and the staff there have complained about him. These complaints are being investigated, weve given statements, and a lady that worked jn the shop 3 years ago but now works in a different shop branch also has been re questioned. Turns out the manager nearly punched her jn the face, but the manager denied it! I've only ever had one manager that could hack it, so of course the issu becomes compounded when you're left to work when it is busy, and are basically on your own. A vicious circle, I suppose. I Know some of the staff that work in the post office, they come to the bakery for a coffee or sandwich on their breaks. They feel like I do, so I suppose their sign doesn't cut the mustard.... of course, not every one who comes to the shop is rude, but WOW, waaay too many ppl that need anger management courses imho. maybe this is just modern city London life. Maybe I learn to to let it all go over my head. This week, after reading and re reading everyone's take on this issue, i've been focusing on staying calm. I'm not a therapist, a psychologist or enlightened being with all the answers. So yes, trying to maintain equilibrium regardless of another person's aggression and rudeness has been my aim. It's weird. My previous manager was beating his partner. So, i quit that job after reporting him to the police. When i was 13 I got my first part time saturday job and it was run by a couple in their 50's. he used to threaten her with a knife up to her face , in front of me and the other young girl that worked there. We were terrified of him. My mother was extremely aggresive when I was little and i've married a man that is now in therapy for his own demons. I think @SillyPutty may have a point when earlier in this thread they pointed out that there is something I maybe have to learn and until I do, my life will continue to have a ridiculous level of aggression from other people. There are other serious incidents, but if I mention them, you're all probably going to think i'm delusional and making it up. It's been a crazy life, so far.
    vinlyn said:

I was afraid to ask that question, @Dakini. I0n school we would get the occasional angry parent, but for the most part, people were pretty pleasant.

Why were you afraid to ask?