Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was the Buddha truly enlightened?

BodhivakaBodhivaka Veteran
edited October 2013 in Philosophy
This question is primarily aimed at Secular Buddhists who reject or are otherwise skeptical of Buddhism's metaphysical claims.

Assuming Buddhist scripture can be trusted to accurately convey the original teachings of the Buddha, can the title of "perfectly enlightened one" rightly be given to someone who taught the existence of things like karma, rebirth, psychic powers, miracles, mythical beings and supernatural realms?

The bare fundamentals of Buddhism (the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Three Marks of Existence, Dependent Origination, the Five Precepts, etc.) all seem quite rational, practical and appealing to me; however, when I consider the more superstitious teachings of the Buddha, particularly his alleged journeys to mythical realms and his conversations with the supernatural inhabitants thereof, I can't help but assume he was either delusional or dishonest.

Of course, I could simply be wrong and all of these "superstitious" metaphysical teachings could be true. In any case, I suppose whether or not the Tathagata's supernatural convictions are true is ultimately irrelevant to the practicality of his philosophy.

What do all of you think? Do the metaphysical teachings of Buddhism cause you to doubt the Dharma or the Buddha at all? Do you believe one can rightly be called a Buddhist" while simultaneously rejecting the metaphysical aspects of the religion?

Comments

• chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I think the Realms are actually part of the human experience. A Buddhist Doctor that I did some work with wrote a book about addiction called "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction".

It makes me think that, like the Christian Bible, analogies were used a lot to illustrate points and are not meant to be taken literally.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Bodhivaka said:

Do the metaphysical teachings of Buddhism cause you to doubt the Dharma or the Buddha at all?
    Do you believe one can rightly be called a Buddhist" while simultaneously rejecting the metaphysical aspects of the religion?

If there is doubt, then I doubt the cause of it will be the teachings of anyone outside of myself, whether those teachings are metaphysical or not... more likely it is my doubt looking for a subject to relate to! Plenty of things to doubt I guess!

Why not? One is constantly accepting and rejecting (impliedly or expressly), even if unaware or unaware of every possible consequence - a step toward one direction is a step away from all other directions.
  • I think that with what we now know through science about the numerous dimensions that exist unperceived by us, as well as the vastness of the universe and the increasing discovery of potentially life-supporting planets, as well as theories like the multi-verse theory... I think all in all we can trust that there is enough size and possibility within existence to account for Buddha's metaphysical experiences without doubting his honesty.
    poptartChaz
  • Probably a lot more enlightened than you and me.
    riverflowlobsterBodhivaka
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    There is an interesting scripture that talks about this.
    Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas (I.e., the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a Buddha) is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...(I.e., the range of powers that one may obtain while absorbed in jhana)

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."
    As far as the "scientific view" goes, I always think the thought "What would Carl Sagan say?" as he was a very popular and highly regarded scientist. He said "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" and also "Really, it's okay to reserve judgment".

In essence he's saying that remaining agnostic about such things is perfectly logical and scientifically valid view.
    EvenThirdInvincible_summerDakini
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Bodhivaka -- Your question seems to be premised in the notion that what gives Buddhism it oomph is based in what people believe about it. This may be OK as a starting point, but it doesn't hold up over the long haul.

Everyone begins any endeavor by believing one thing or another. But then -- as in Gautama's invitation to "find out for yourself" -- they proceed to find out in experience/practice what up until then has been a matter of belief and hope.

So if you think the oooooeeeeeoooo/metaphysical stuff in Buddhism is over the top, if you find it either "delusional" or "dishonest," well, that still leaves you with The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path as an adequate point of departure for finding out whether Buddhism has anything to offer or not.

Saying or believing nice things about Buddhism is about the same as saying or believing nasty things about it ... neither can hold a candle to your own experience and effort.
    riverflowlobsterDavidInvincible_summer
  • "Assuming Buddhist scripture can be trusted to accurately convey the original teachings of the Buddha,"

Why would we assume that? And no, saying the sutras are obviously written to be statements of religious doctrine rather than historical fact doesn't mean the Buddha's words aren't in there. It just means what you read is history translated and transformed through the beliefs and agendas of the monks that wrote about it.

lobsterriverflowBodhivakaDavid
  • however, when I consider the more superstitious teachings of the Buddha, particularly his alleged journeys to mythical realms and his conversations with the supernatural inhabitants thereof, I can't help but assume he was either delusional or dishonest.
    :)
    You might also consider that was the language, understanding or convention of the times, historians/reporters.
    Is there sufficient dharma for those not interested in being taught by water dragons as the 'second Buddha' was?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagarjuna
    You bet my ignorance and yours and that of every empty hell realm dweller there is . . . :clap:
    CinorjerriverflowDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Bodhivaka said:

This question is primarily aimed at Secular Buddhists who reject or are otherwise skeptical of Buddhism's metaphysical claims.

Assuming Buddhist scripture can be trusted to accurately convey the original teachings of the Buddha, can the title of "perfectly enlightened one" rightly be given to someone who taught the existence of things like karma, rebirth, psychic powers, miracles, mythical beings and supernatural realms?

The bare fundamentals of Buddhism (the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Three Marks of Existence, Dependent Origination, the Five Precepts, etc.) all seem quite rational, practical and appealing to me; however, when I consider the more superstitious teachings of the Buddha, particularly his alleged journeys to mythical realms and his conversations with the supernatural inhabitants thereof, I can't help but assume he was either delusional or dishonest.

I try not to assume anything is true and personally suspect some of the teachings are either misunderstandings, misinterpretations or downright fabrications. Karma and rebirth don't seem like too much of a stretch considering what we know about causation but psychic powers and miracles don't seem like they have much to do with the dharma as I understand it. In all honesty, I think Buddha frowned upon such beliefs but don't pretend to know for sure. They don't help move the story forward but they do imply the Buddha is out of our reach.

I'm not exactly sure but I don't think Buddha believed in gods as many gurus did... Reading between the lines it's as if he is saying that gods have no power over the awakened and even when he faced Mara I believe he was in an altered state of mind. This isn't to say the gods do not exist exactly. Just that they only have whatever power we give them.

Also Buddha believed it is all perfectly ordinary so that doesn't leave a lot of room for the supernatural from my perspective. For all we know, he could be talking about past or future lives on other planets, landscapes that don't really exist except for in our dreams or different viewpoints from right here. This world can be heaven or it can be hell... I've seen people in hell right here.

Hungry ghosts are just trying to keep up with the jonesers... Hell, it's the American dream!
    Of course, I could simply be wrong and all of these "superstitious" metaphysical teachings could be true. In any case, I suppose whether or not the Tathagata's supernatural convictions are true is ultimately irrelevant to the practicality of his philosophy.

What do all of you think? Do the metaphysical teachings of Buddhism cause you to doubt the Dharma or the Buddha at all? Do you believe one can rightly be called a Buddhist" while simultaneously rejecting the metaphysical aspects of the religion?
    I think Buddha knew his teachings would get jumbled around... That's why he said to trust our inner guide over any doctrine even if it goes against something we think he himself said.

If a teaching doesn't expand on the fundamentals I try to find the analogy. I can't convince myself to believe something that doesn't ring true. I can suspend my disbelief for a movie if I have to, but that's it.

That's just me though. Some will agree and some won't but that's just the nature of being unique.

Bodhivaka
    edited October 2013
    ourself said:

I think Buddha knew his teachings would get jumbled around... That's why he said to trust our inner guide over any doctrine even if it goes against something we think he himself said.

I think that's a big part of Buddhism (and Yoga as a spiritual path). We learn about ourselves and make ourselves stronger so that we can better understand, tune into and trust the inner guide.
  • I think Gods are a mental contrivance. The important thing is our minds and Gods are just an arising in the mind. They couldn't be anything other than an arising, because all of our experience is a mental experience; we cannot experience anything without experiencing it in our minds.
  • The Buddha is One who is Awake.
    ..........the Buddhist does not think, “the saviour of the world is the Creator of the world.” The Creator cannot be a saviour because he is the Creator of suffering. The true saviour can only be a human being who can free himself from this suffering by transcending the normal human consciousness, which is dreaming that a “self” exists in a world that exists.” This saviour awakens from this “dream of existence,” and then teaches others to awaken from this terrible nightmare, “the dream of life and death.” The all knowing, all powerful, all good “God” is not an unknown Creator, but a known human being who has transcended all human weaknesses. Such an individual is the Buddha, and He is therefore the true God of the Buddhists. He is called “God-become” (brahma bhuto).

This description of the Buddha helps one understand that Buddhism is neither theistic nor atheistic. It is humanistic because this concept of God is a humanistic concept of God. It recognises the potential divinity of the human being. It is through the process of evolution that the human being evolves to the level of God. This is the humanistic way of union with God, which all religions speak of in their own way. God is understood in Buddhist thinking to be only the human concept of perfection. God is the ideal of perfection that human beings conceive, and struggle to realize through the practice of religion. When a human being does realize this ideal, he is called an Awake One, a Buddha. When this occurs, the process of evolution stops, because the futile struggle to exist stops, and one has “Awakened” from the “dream of existence.” The essence of this “God” is not “existence,” as in the case of the theistic God; the essence of this God is “non-existence.” This God does not exist, even when others see Him as an existing person. This is the anthropomorphic God of the Buddhist.

Buddhism & Evolution
    Bhante Punnaji
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Bodhivaka said:

In any case, I suppose whether or not the Tathagata's supernatural convictions are true is ultimately irrelevant to the practicality of his philosophy.

Okay, we can close this thread now.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2013
    When a human being does realize this ideal, he is called an Awake One, a Buddha. When this occurs, the process of evolution stops, because the futile struggle to exist stops, and one has “Awakened” from the “dream of existence.” The essence of this “God” is not “existence,” as in the case of the theistic God; the essence of this God is “non-existence.” This God does not exist, even when others see Him as an existing person. This is the anthropomorphic God of the Buddhist.

Buddhism & Evolution
    Bhante Punnaji

The process of evolution stops? Unlikely, unless the universe ends. Evolution is a universal fact and not simply confined to humanity. Not having read anything else of Bhante Punnaji's work, I cannot comment on any other anthropocentrism but this statement must be qualified and, indeed, be marked as entirely speculative. There is no evidence, nor, I assert, no statement by the Historical Buddha, to back up such a claim. Rather, we see him continuing, after his experience under the tree, as fully human up to and including a fully human death. Nor is there any statement that the Enlightened become 'gods' or 'God'. All that is offered is the ending of dukkha.

As to whether the Buddha Shakyamuni was truly enlightened, the question is, surely, irrelevant. Is X or Y enlightened? Who can say and does it matter? What matters is whether I am struggling along the Path because I have come to the conclusion that it is the best Path for me. To do so with eyes fixed on some goal that I cannot see is to risk tripping over the many obstacles just under my feet.
    riverflowlobster
  • The process of evolution stops? Unlikely, unless the universe ends.
    I believe Bhante was referring to ending of birth (evolution) of that "being" and not the entire process of evolution.
    Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
    Nor is there any statement that the Enlightened become 'gods' or 'God'. All that is offered is the ending of dukkha.
    I understand Bhante to mean that the Buddha is the nearest equivalent to 'God' in the other religions. The Buddha had no wish/need to be worshipped. Only those who believed that they exist would demand this.
    As to whether the Buddha Shakyamuni was truly enlightened, the question is, surely, irrelevant. Is X or Y enlightened?
    It is totally relevant to me. Otherwise it would be the situation of the blind or one eyed person leading the blind. There is no way to find the way out of the dark forest that is samsara.

What matters is the path leads to eventual ending or lessening of dukkha which can be directly experienced by oneself.
  • pegembara said:

What matters is the path leads to eventual ending or lessening of dukkha which can be directly experienced by oneself.

In agreeing with you here, I cannot see why it is of any importance whether or not Gotama or Ananda or Joe Bloggs was/is enlightened. If the Path works, follow it, no matter whther the early proponents got it 'right' or not in their own lives.

Of course, I acknowledge that I may be missing something in my deep suspicion of cults of personality; the result, I suppose, of my own heritage and history.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Actually, it's pretty important. The Buddha stands as one of the three jewels of refuge. He is the example of enlightened being. If he is not enightened, then he not the Buddha, his teachings are not Buddhadharma and the Sangha that arose from those teachings is false.

So if the Buddha wasn't enlightened then there is no enlightenment, no cessation of suffering and what we call Buddhism is reduced to mere another self-help program.
    Quandariuspegembara
  • The point you make is very important, @Chaz, but, maybe, not quite how you think, if I may make so bold.

Consider the Triple Jewel:
    The Dharma exists, whether it is taught, recognised or apprehended in any way by individuals. It is not contingent.

The Buddha: when and if you take refuge, are you really doing so in an historical human being? Surely not! The Buddha here is the uncreated, the ideal of Buddhahood, beyond human history, the real Tathagata.

The Sangha of Refuge is also the ideal Sangha rather than a collection of monks, nuns and (in modern Western eyes) lay followers.

I still have to be convinced that it is necessary for a teacher of the Dharma themselves to be 'enlightened' beyond some degree of understanding of what they are teaching.

And what is so wrong with a self-help programme if it enables us to abandon self and end dukkha?
    riverflow
    Good points Simon and well said. I'd prefer not to drag this topic into a discussion of refuge - that'sa whole different topic - and I brought it up only to address the Buddha's enlightement.

But The Buddha's enlightenment, or the belief in it, is vitally important in the matter of refuge. There are two types of refuge - provisional and ultimate. provisional refuge, the refuge we all take, is in the historical Buddha. It depends entirely on the Buddha's enlightenment and the other two jewels rest on the first. None of us here are far enough along to experience ultimate refuge, so it's pointless to consider in this context.

Do you know of a self-help system that engenders letting go of our sense of self and end suffering?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Chaz said:

Actually, it's pretty important. The Buddha stands as one of the three jewels of refuge. He is the example of enlightened being. If he is not enightened, then he not the Buddha, his teachings are not Buddhadharma and the Sangha that arose from those teachings is false.

So if the Buddha wasn't enlightened then there is no enlightenment, no cessation of suffering and what we call Buddhism is reduced to mere another self-help program.

I guess this is why I am glad that I am more of a secular Buddhist. I don't feel that some kind of cosmic experience is required for someone (whether it be Buddha or Jesus or _______________) to have great wisdom. Buddha's understanding of enlightenment is either valid or not valid, regardless of whether or not Siddhartha had that kind of experience we think of as enlightenment. There are wise men throughout history that, as far as we know, did not undergo the process of enlightenment...yet, there is their wisdom for all to share. The real teachings of Jesus stand on their own whether or not Jesus actually committed miracles.

Personally, I disagree with your view of refuge, at least as it seems you are describing it. I don't believe that we take refuge with a dead man. I believe we take refuge in his wisdom...and that goes on whether he is alive or not.

riverflow
    vinlyn said:

Personally, I disagree with your view of refuge, at least as it seems you are describing it.

Well, to begin with, it's not my view. It's the view of my practice lineage and others as well.

But you don't have to agree with it, regardless of whose view it is.

And it's not a question of the Buddha's understanding of enlightenment. It's about enlightenment.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A belief/wisdom is true or not, regardless if it comes from someone enlightened...or even if enlightenment is something that occurs or not.
    riverflow
  • Truth is still truth even when spoken by a liar or a mountebank - although I am not saying that Gotama was either.
    riverflowvinlyn
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    I'm confident the Buddha has anyway, i think the better word to use would be celestial beings and celestial realms rather the word mythical, i don't know thats just me
    edited October 2014

Was the Buddha truly enlightened?

That's hard for me to be the judge of that.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited October 2014

You dredged up a year-old thread just to say that? ;)  

Nirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Quite.... :rolleyes: .

This discussion has been closed.