Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Personal style

dhammacittadhammacitta Explorer
edited October 2013 in General Banter
Alright, maybe a little bit shallow to ponder about these kind of things, but I'm 24 and still don't have a proper sense of style. I always imagine I should have a buzzed haircut and wear only white or hippie clothes and accessories. Somehow that imagine of a spiritual person is stuck in my brain and I think it makes sense and you should wear your spirituality. But I don't actually want to shave my head. I like simplicity, but I'm tired of wearing so much solid tees. It's dull and I feel insipid. I honestly dislike the hippie/bohemian style too. I find it sloppy, personally. I also am a bit divided between girliness and tomboy-ness. Dressing girly I feel like a false clown tranvestite and dressing boyish I feel like a butch lesbian (fine being butch and/or lesbian, just not my cup of tea). I know this matter is not too elevated, but I do enjoy figuring myself out. But I keep getting stuck. I have a lot self-denying inside me. Any tips, comments?
PS:
141. How interesting is this:
Not going naked, nor matted hair, nor filth,
nor fasting, not sleeping on bare earth,
no penance on heels, nor sweat nor grime
can purify a mortal still overcome by doubt.

142. Even though adorned, if living in peace
calm, tamed, established in the holy life,
for beings all laying force aside:
one pure, one peaceful, a bhikkhu is he.
From Dhammapada chapter 10

I find this hard to sink in :/

Comments

• I'm just a jeans and hoodie kinda guy. Don't give it much thought. When I need an item I just buy what I like.
    riverflow
  • I don't think one needs to deliberately wear things that they dislike just to be simple.
    riverflowKundoYishai
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Provided that you're a layperson... it doesn't matter what you wear really. Just wear whatever feels natural, comfortable, and is inoffensive to the majority. The way you dress doesn't have to be an extension of your beliefs or spiritual practice... all that stuff is for your inner world. Clothes are not.
    riverflowRebornmisterCopeVastmind
  • OP- You're 24 and having fun exploring- keep with that. You don't have to settle on the same style (girlie, tomboy, sporty) every day- at all. Just be each day. : )

One thing you could do to create a "style" that will have pieces that can be put together is to focus on: comfortable fit, interesting textures, and favorite colors.

Fit: Most important. You're happiest and most confident when you're comfortable. Even in a business suit and heels you can be comfortable- you just need everything to fit right. Do not create suffering.

Textures that you enjoy might include sweaters/ pullovers in interesting knit weaves; super soft or nubby cottons; hemp, monk's cloth, soft wool, cashmere, silk, angora (put angora in a bag in the freezer for an hour before you wear it and you'll shed less throughout the day). Personally, I've never owned anything in linen that didn't look like a sad, crumpled, wrinkled mess after an hour of wear.

Somewhere floating between fit and texture is the cut and drape- these are fun to play with, too. Bias cuts and A line shapes are simple and attractive. at almost any length.

Colors google color theories. There are psychological studies that show the effects of colors on moods and on tasks (learning, relaxing, hunger). You can also figure out what colors look nice on you- sometimes just matching clothes to your hair color can make a boring outfit look good. Finally, look at how artists look at color wheels and how they choose which ones to put together- there are whole theories of color harmony (monochromatic, complementary, analogous, split-complementary...) There is a language of color.

You said you want to wear your spirituality. Perhaps your key to both texture and color is natural- colors only found in nature (which is a bit too broad, so... seasons? rocks? forest, desert, garden, underwater?), and also textures that are more simple and natural. You can dye your clothes to make your own colors, too, but this is both messy and can affect subsequent washes, so fair warning there.

Being young, you're likely broke, too. If you have time, get into crafts and sewing, and alter old clothes and thrift store finds in ways that please you now. Knit. Embroider. Add, remove, or replace simple details like buttons or shoelaces. Always keep in mind your three priorities, though: fit, texture, and color.

What's most fun about your post is that you emphasized that you're exploring and finding out about yourself. It's not about what others think- it's about you and your journey. Enjoy.
    JeffreyKundodhammacittalobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    maimaimai said:

(put angora in a bag in the freezer for an hour before you wear it and you'll shed less throughout the day).

Namaste,

Awesome tip :)

And a great post too.

In metta,
    Raven
  • maimaimai said:
    (put angora in a bag in the freezer for an hour before you wear it and you'll shed less throughout the day).
    If wearing the actual rabbit as a fashion accessory, please do not harm your bunny . . . :eek:
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    I usually just emulate the fashion styles that I like.

I see someone wearing converse sneakers, I think "nice", I buy a pair, I wear them, if they look good to me I keep wearing them, if they don't look good to me I give them to someone who needs them more than I do. Rinse, repeat.
    VastmindKundoInvincible_summer