Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christian minister's faith unravels

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited December 2013 in General Banter

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Whats wrong with having faith?
    Invincible_summercvalue
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

I think Buddhism teaches that faith built on experience is a good thing, like "The Buddha taught that, and it improved my life, so maybe the Buddha was right about this?"

But blind faith is stupid; it just leads to the blind leading the blind.
  • I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with anyone having (religious) faith-
    as long as they can separate faith from fact, and faith from politics, and faith from judgement... Other than that, more power to ya! :D
    vinlynChazKundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree, @Jayantha. There is nothing wrong with having faith.

The problem here in this forum is that some whose faith is primarily blind faith, don't see it as blind faith...just because they're Buddhist.
    Kundo
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I don't TRUST anyone who goes around inappropriately dressed. Obviously these Piraha are culturally deranged. AMEN.

Still, a very interesting undevelopment.
    vinlyn said:

I agree, @Jayantha. There is nothing wrong with having faith.

The problem here in this forum is that some whose faith is primarily blind faith, don't see it as blind faith...just because they're Buddhist.

I see nothing wrong with blind faith either. If people want to believe in something, doesn't matter to me.
    Invincible_summercvalue
    edited December 2013
    MaryAnne said:

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with anyone having (religious) faith-
    as long as they can separate faith from fact, and faith from politics, and faith from judgement... Other than that, more power to ya! :D

Can we do that ourselves? Can any human?

I cannot say that my politics is not influenced by my religion in any way.
    Invincible_summercvalue
  • Jayantha said:

MaryAnne said:

Yes, I honestly think we /they can do that...
    your faith and religion influencing YOUR personal political decisions is one thing- but making policy / laws / and or holding politicians to your specific religious standards; trying to make that the standard for everyone - well, that's where things go wonky.

• Can someone summarize it, please?
  • You are the only one who cuts the shoots of suffering at their source. Holder of the vajra sword, the wisdom and compassion that breaks the wall of doubt concealed in the dark confusion of wrong views.
    Liturgy

Jayantha said:

MaryAnne said:

Yes, I honestly think we /they can do that...
    your faith and religion influencing YOUR personal political decisions is one thing- but making policy / laws / and or holding politicians to your specific religious standards; trying to make that the standard for everyone - well, that's where things go wonky.

I don't necessarily see a connection between faith and using government to suit your means. I see people with and without faith trying to do the same thing, the issue there is peoples reliance on government and government being big and, over reaching, involved enough to have the power that people can use.

In essence its an ego issue, everyone thinks they know whats best for themselves and others, now even the government(which is the people, or at least a product of them) with this nanny state.
  • Jayantha said:

I see nothing wrong with blind faith either. If people want to believe in something, doesn't matter to me.

It depends what they believe.
    God created the world in six days; no problem, unless you think it is science.
    Buddha could fly and materialize in multiple places at the same time; okay but don’t try this at home.

But what about the idea that non-believers will go to hell? I know people who suffer because they fear that’s what will happen to their loved ones.
    Or what if someone believes there’s a religious foundation for the idea of a superior race?

vinlynMaryAnnecvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Jayantha said:

My 40 years of Buddhist practice have been 30 in Buddhist conditioning & the last 10 in letting everything go but the bare meditation
    so i definitely relate to the utility side of the faith equation...
    but
    whether in faith or utility...it's whatever way any of us can best manifest compassion, love and wisdom, that is my answer.

Some questions I do have is...

If everything changes, is faith is just our attempt at finding stability amidst the chaos?

Is a practice predicated on faith, more vulnerable to changing conditions than a practice predicated on utility?
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Y'know,

I'd still like to know just what we mean by faith and especially blind faith. These words get bandied about a lot, but it seems like everyone is talking about something different.

It's also portrayed in the negative, but those offering negative opinions never seem to offer anything to support negative. It's quite obvious that they think it's wrong, but never seem to demonstrate why. It may be that faith is something the find personally doisagreeable, that isn't clear either.
    Invincible_summercvalue
    zenff said:

Jayantha said:

It depends what they believe.
    God created the world in six days; no problem, unless you think it is science.
    Buddha could fly and materialize in multiple places at the same time; okay but don’t try this at home.

But what about the idea that non-believers will go to hell? I know people who suffer because they fear that’s what will happen to their loved ones.
    Or what if someone believes there’s a religious foundation for the idea of a superior race?

What is pastafarians decided all non believers must die?

People cause their own suffering for a large variety of reasons, mostly imagined.

People also cause the suffering of others for a large variety of reasons, mostly imagined.

The methods used and the reasons are as vast as the stars, but this simple fact remains.
    cvalueTheswingisyellow
    Jayantha said:

Nothing. Nothing at all.

There's also nothing "wrong" with blind faith, either. It may not be condusive to awakening but that doesn't mean it's wrong. There's no law about this in Buddhism. They won't come and take away your birthday if you demonstrate blind faith.

You may have people with strong opinions that denigrate you for having any sort of faith, but that's ok. They don't teach a path of awakening. Tell them to go piss up a rope.
    how said:

Is a practice predicated on faith, more vulnerable to changing conditions than a practice predicated on utility?

Anything that arises is subject to change. Anything. If utility arises, it will also disolve. If faith arises, it will disolve. One is not more vulnerable that the other.
    Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I liked the film clip not so much because this fellow became what others might call and "atheist," but rather because he seemed to allow his experience to nudge and jostle and apparently dislodge whatever faith he had previously embraced. That takes some serious nerve from where I sit ... Buddhist, Republican, Christian, atheist, etc., etc. etc.: To take something in dead earnest and then, a bit at a time, to watch it walk away, smooth as woodsmoke; no longer are things good-better-best or bad-worser-worst ... it's just that they no longer tally and the willingness to allow them not to tally becomes less frightening.

My Zen teacher once told me that faith and hope had a role to play in practice: "For the first four or five years, hope and belief are necessary .... After that, they are not so necessary." Hope and belief and perhaps what is called faith inspire practice, fire up the will to investigate, and buttress determination. But once experience starts to kick in, the need for such excitements diminishes ... or anyway that's my take. The need to be a "Buddhist" or a "Christian" or an "atheist" or a "Republican" runs out of steam where experience kicks in.

FWIW
    howMaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

Y'know,

I'd still like to know just what we mean by faith and especially blind faith. These words get bandied about a lot, but it seems like everyone is talking about something different.

It's also portrayed in the negative, but those offering negative opinions never seem to offer anything to support negative. It's quite obvious that they think it's wrong, but never seem to demonstrate why. It may be that faith is something the find personally doisagreeable, that isn't clear either.

@Chaz
    Well shooting from the hip....
    I think that faith describes a self propelled inertia that helps one maintain a specific direction but doesn't respond well to new data suggesting the need for any course changes.
    Whether it is good for one or not, depends on what one values most.
    lobster
  • Faith can mean sradda. That means putting into practice. You can have a lot of insight, prajna, but if you never embody it then it is not real wisdom it is just make believe.
    Kundo
    how said:

@Chaz
    I think that faith describes a self propelled inertia that helps one maintain a specific direction but doesn't respond well to new data suggesting the need for any course changes.

That's fine, if that's how you want to define it.

In a Buddhist context - one that would be most apropos - faith is called saddhā which is taught to mean a conviction that something is, a determination to accomplish one's goals and a sense of joy deriving from the other two (from wikipedia).

So if you hold the word to one thing and someone else follows another, can you see the problems to be encountered? This is because, in fact, two people are talking about two entirely different things.

And "self-propelled inertia" is something of an oxymoron, dontcha think?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

how said:

@Chaz

That's fine, if that's how you want to define it.

In a Buddhist context - one that would be most apropos - faith is called saddhā which is taught to mean a conviction that something is, a determination to accomplish one's goals and a sense of joy deriving from the other two (from wikipedia).

So if you hold the word to one thing and someone else follows another, can you see the problems to be encountered? This is because, in fact, two people are talking about two entirely different things.

And "self-propelled inertia" is something of an oxymoron, dontcha think?

This is a bit difficult because it is a Buddhist discussion about a audio tape of someone questioning their Christian faith.

Christian faith is a belief with strong conviction in something for which there may be no tangible proof of. I, like genkaku, marvelled at how difficult a process it must have been to transit from the former belief system to the latter.

Your Buddhist explanation of faith....nicely defined as a determination to accomplish one's goals.. to me is still just a self determined inertia as in when a force is started and directed in a particular direction...it continues to keep moving in that direction
    and that isn't an oxymoron to me..yet.
    My complaint about Buddhist faith is really only where such a self directed momentum becomes an attachment. Where worldly attachments lost, simply become exchanged for it's spiritual counterpart. Simple delusion transformed into complex delusion where the source of the resulting suffering is no longer so easily seen.
    edited December 2013
    how said:

Christian faith is a belief with strong conviction in something for which there may be no tangible proof of. I, like genkaku, marvelled at how difficult a process it must have been to transit from the former belief system to the latter.

It can be but not always. It was pretty easy for me to transition from evangelical Christianity to a much more agnostic position.
    Your Buddhist explanation of faith....nicely defined as a determination to accomplish one's goals.. to me is still just a self determined inertia as in when a force is started and directed in a particular direction...it continues to keep moving in that direction
    and that isn't an oxymoron to me..yet.
    I don't like the term intertia. It respesents a certain subborness with regards to new information. You seem to require that new information must be considered and acted upon in a certain manner. What if the new infromation is carefully considered and then discarded? What if, after carefull deliberation, new information regarding something about rebirth, for instance, is dismissed as nothing but irrelevent bullshit? You may deem it valuable. Is there some right or wrong here? No.

If a course remains unaltered, that doesn't necessarily mean intertia.

But still. You talk about faith-as-inertia (which is fine) and I talk about it as per the Buddhist difference cited previously, and sort of productive discussion of the matter is, actually, impossible, because we're talking about different things.

And unless I have the presence of mind to inquire, which I did, then how in the hell am I supposed to know? And even if I do know, as I do, what if I prefer to dismiss your definition because it's inadequate from my POV.

These things should be clearly defined from the outset so we can, at least, have some semblance of a reasonable discussion about it. Otherwise, it's nothing more than inane chatter.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I think that which is not easily defined, can be reasonable explored and discussed without labeling it as inane chatter....unless one is only looking for a definition.
    I can't agree.

Yes, exploration is really cool, but we don't do that around here. We end up taking our position, uncaring to the perception of others and just hammer away.

It gets nowhere and that's inane. A waste of time.
    Kundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @Chaz
    I think you are describing the difference between faith based exploration and utility
    based exploration because what I read here is always considered to be as potentially true as my own views and in such examinations I simply adopt which ever one bears up best under objective observation.
    I learn/ I get to question the basis for my understanding of this moment/the self get's challenged/ How is such a practice a waste of time.

Namaste,

I cannot enjoy someone's loss of faith purely because it is not the same as mine. I don't think the Buddha would either (mind you I'm no expert on what the Buddha thought/thinks).

In metta,
    Raven

If i could insightful and awesome this at the same time i would.
    VastmindKundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @ Dhammachick

Hmmm.
    Where I only saw a transition from one faith to another, you saw only a loss of faith.
    Why?
    This seems mostly a discussion about faith based practice being threatened by alternatives.
    edited December 2013
    how said:

@Chaz
    I think you are describing the difference between faith based exploration and utility
    based exploration because what I read here is always considered to be as potentially true as my own views and in such examinations I simply adopt which ever one bears up best under objective observation.
    I learn/ I get to question the basis for my understanding of this moment/the self get's challenged/ How is such a practice a waste of time.

What you say is not a waste of time. Perfectly acceptable.

My think is that we (you and me & .......) discuss something like "faith" we use the word but often have different ways of defining it. You can call it whatever you like for your own purpose, but as soon as you start talking about something with someone else, it's best that all parties concerned are on the same page.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Ohwww
    Just when it's getting interesting. work calls..
    chao.
    ChazVastmind
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Namaste,

I cannot enjoy someone's loss of faith purely because it is not the same as mine. I don't think the Buddha would either (mind you I'm no expert on what the Buddha thought/thinks).

In metta,
    Raven

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.
    Chaz
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Instead of ...unraveled....maybe he got....open. :)
    MaryAnne
  • There is a tale of a Sufi poet who when told a word has a 'precise meaning', starts to cry and lament . . .
    In Sufism, poetry, Kabbalah, alchemy, many religions, life in general etc. words have a variety of levels and meanings. You can take that on Faith or find it out . . .

Some Buddhists like to define and insist on absolute meanings. Maybe they have no faith/confidence in the path to Nowhere . . . ?

The faithless are those who grow in confidence in their 'righteousness' which they understand as an absolute. Many mid range dharma practitioners have this blind spot dilemma, thus have I heard . . .

The Christian missionary in the video lost his faith when he realised he never had any real confidence anyway. His 'faith' in the need to undermine others was shaken by those who had no need for Jeezuz (the well known poster boy of God).

For most of us confidence in Buddhism is experiential. We don't have faith in the unknown or do we? Do we for example have confidence in sutra, lama, sangha etc and their knowledge of what we do not yet know?

I take refuge in the Buddha.
    I take refuge in the Dharma.
    I take refuge in the Sangha.

oops
    :o

off to rinse my mouth out with mantra . . .
    Yours in the Faith/Dharma :wave:

OM YA HA HUM
  • Thanks for the link! It's the first I'd heard of the Piraha. There was another video on youtube where it's discussed how unique the language is. I wonder if access to modern culture has changed the tribe now?
  • Namaste,

In metta,
    Raven

Sometimes you win when you lose.
    One way of looking at awakening is that it is a gradual path of losing - losing layers of ignorance and delusion.
    Pealing an onion; ending up with nothing left to lose; that isn’t sad.

MaryAnnehowInvincible_summer
  • vinlyn said:

Namaste,

In metta,
    Raven

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.
    +1
    Jayantha said:

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Apparently it's only a problem if it's someone elses faith.

Posing in zen robes is apparently ok.
    Invincible_summerKundo
  • Over the years and across many boards, I have read and contributed to thread after thread on the subject of "faith". All that without, I hasten to say, any useful consensus being reached, even on the meaning(s) of the word.

It is often the case, particularly on Buddhist boards, to find contributors who reject the notion out of hand whilst, at the same time, putting their "faith" in the legends of the Buddha and the practices of Buddhism. We humans are just so good at self-deception.

As far as I can see, "faith", like "God", is a word which presses some people's red button. They associate it with the ranting of minor, if vocal, Christian sects of the Puritan persuasion which have rather hijacked the word, making it mean what they want it to mean (like Alice's Humpty Dumpty).

In many cases, "faith"is taken to mean a body of beliefs - not the same thing at all, although the two may complement each other along with "hope". Where "faith" generally refers to what is deem to be in the here and now, "hope" refers to a future time, thus both imply time as their context. In this way, I may have faith in the efficacy of my practice and hope for some form of "enlightenment" or perfect future state (or non-state) both being mental/spiritual optimisms rather than certainties. Because neither is certain, they differ in kind from, for example, mathematical proofs which, once demonstrated, stand for all time.

Two stories to illustrate:
    1) A child is asked by a bishop at Confirmation, "What is the Holy Trinity?" replies "Tree-in-wun-n-wun-in-tree". "I don't understand," says the bishop. "You're not supposed to," replies the precocious child, "It's a mystery."

2) The child is asked in class, "What is two plus two", replies "Four". "Good," the teacher says. "Good?" the child replies"It's perfect."
    vinlynInvincible_summerCinorjer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Who are these mythical creatures?
    :p