Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you pray?

2»

Comments

• Pray? No... Even before Buddhism, with parents being Christian, it was something people did that never bore fruit. They'd pray for this or that and never receive a response. Of course if someone was sick, everyone (the community and friends/family) would get together and pray for their health, but more often than not it didn't do the trick. Think I'd change "pray" to "hope"; that's what it is (in my experience). :)

As for Buddhism, there's no external being to pray to there either. I can understand those that pray in a non-traditional way that's more to the inner-Buddha and not supplication to an external being or force, though this too may be construed as creating a separation that isn't there... as if the Buddha mind is something locked away inside the suffering mind. Nothing wrong with it, and if it works for those who employ it that's all that matters.

Namaste
  • Sometimes I talk to myself, chant, or sing. I regard this as form of prayer.
  • Dear CoffeeBean,
    I suppose we can pray to ourselves especially when you think that most of the time, prayers are not answered.
  • Just the other day, I was in Haadyai, Thailand with some friends. My friends and I visited a temple up on a hill. Besides the statue of Buddha, there is the statue of the Goddess of Mercy there and a statue of Guan Gong, a historical figure much revered by the Chinese. Besides burning joss sticks, one could buy firecrackers there and burn them. The tourist guide said that the longer the firecrackers are, the longer your life span would be and he joked that if you'd to buy and burn a long firecrackers, your life would be long and if you were to buy a short one, then your life would be short. If you don't buy and burn any, then of course, you'd have no life to talk about. People don't use firecrackers to pray, I suppose but say again, do you pray and how do you pray?
  • I guess what's important here is what helps an individual or people in general, and if they define it's as Praying or Prayer then that's should be ok. if a person is sick or Ill doing the Green Tara Puja or reciting the metta or mantra for that person an individual could define that as a prayer: especially for the people in the western country's that Buddhism wasn't there native religion and have converted from Christian to Buddhism.
  • Is not Tonglen a form of praying?
  • Tonglen is prayer and in vajrayana there is much prayer or puja.
    For those of us who believe the nature of the mind can effect as well as be effected by puja, it is not strange. We pray for blessing - giving and receiving. We pray for inspiration and alignment with archetypal representations of purified mind streams, Bodhisattvas if you will.

Mantra is a ritual purification and enactment of right speech.
    Deity practice in vajrayana enables the symbolic creation and visualisation of ourself as an enlightened being, which we allow to enter or possess our consciousness.

EvenThird
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited April 2013

There is nothing to pray to. Praying is a wrong view. There is certainly no way to read canon and reach a different conclusion. Yes lots of people do so, pray to the Buddha, pray to various Gods, but that doesn't mean they should.

This is one thing, having been raised Christian and having prayed almost every night of my life, that I found difficult upon conversion. Now when I feel the desire to pray, I meditate or read the Dhamma instead.

I suppose there is no harm in praying as a sort of pseudo-meditation as long as one understands that there is no entity or being which responds to or fulfills your prayer. Prayer can be therapeutic on that level, in my opinion.

You see Buddhism as a rigid belief system. Not all of us do.

Weird. I just noticed how old this thread is. Why did it pop up at the top of the forum today?????

Jainarayan
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Is prayer and meditation all that different?

Many years ago Dan Rather was interviewing Mother Teresa. “When you pray”, asked Rather, “what do you say to God?” “I don’t say anything,” she replied. “I listen.” Rather tried another tack. “Well, okay… when God speaks to you, then, what does He say?” “He doesn’t say anything. He listens.”
    John_SpencerriverflowlamaramadingdongEvenThird
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

Many years ago Dan Rather was interviewing Mother Teresa. “When you pray”, asked Rather, “what do you say to God?” “I don’t say anything,” she replied. “I listen.” Rather tried another tack. “Well, okay… when God speaks to you, then, what does He say?” “He doesn’t say anything. He listens.”

I suppose when you pray, you speak to God. When you meditate, you just watch your breath or just observe the rising and falling of your stomach and things like that.

• May all beings be well and happy,
    May all beings be free of suffering.

A prayer or a wish, take your pick. Right intention non the less.
    riverflowJohn_SpencerEvenThird
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    footiam said:

Buddhists all over the world do pray and in different styles too. Should Buddhists pray and how do you pray?

I used to pray a lot. I have a funny story about prayer, actually. Sorry that this digresses from the topic a bit, but I promise to bring it full circle afterwards.

Before I 'became' a Buddhist, I used to pray all of the time and was very spiritual. I was heavily into energy healing and all things new age.

One day back around 2001, I was sitting in my ex's father's store. They were talking about whether or not to sell the business or keep investing money into it. They owned both the business AND the building in which the business resided (this is important to note for later on.) They were thinking of doing a lot of construction and totally transforming the place so it would become more inviting and bring in more customers.

So, after talking for a while, they turned to me and asked me for my opinion. Back then I had huge faith in 'God." I wasn't religious, but rather I was very "spiritual." I always prayed.

So, without batting an eyelash, I looked at them and said, "Well, whenever I am in doubt, I pray about it. So let me ask God."

I looked towards the sky as I folded my hands and said something like, "Dear God, [my ex and his father's names] are conflicted on what to do with this store. Should they sell it, or continue to put money into fixing it and keep it? Please give us a sign." (I would rarely ask for signs unless it was an important matter... and when I'd ask, I'd always get a response.)

I kid you not, within 2 minutes of saying this prayer out loud, the electricity in the entire place went out. It was a sunny summer day around the afternoon hour. There was no construction work going on, no storms in the area, no one else on the block had their electricity go out-- the electricity going out was only happening at their store and that's it, and there were no visible external factors as to why this would be happening.

Since this business relied heavily on electricity (items needed to be refrigerated), my ex's father had to call the electrician right away since he couldn't get the power back on.

When the electricians came (and they came out that very day, obviously, since it was an emergency for a business), they did an inspection of the building. When they were done, they informed my ex and his father that, "Whomever did the wiring for this building and had it before you did a lousy job. As a matter of fact, this place is a fire hazard and dangerous to be in. I don't know what your plans are for this place, but if I were you, I'd seriously consider either investing a lot of money into fixing the wiring for safety reasons, or sell it to someone who can fix it."

And with that, the business and building were sold a few months later. They did not have that kind of money to invest in fixing the wiring, so they got their answer. If they had stayed? Who knows what could have happened.

So, do I pray? I used to. I've been told that I have powerful prayers. :lol: But, some things happened in life and I stopped praying and became very bitter. I just started to come back around to praying though, in the form of mantras (this past week, actually). I am trying to get back to that point because I feel it's an important place to be... a place where you are able to tap into the universal energy and communicate with it on a pure level. As a matter of fact, when I do energy healing (or used to, but I'm thinking of starting again), I just considered it a more bedazzled form of prayer. :)

So, yes. I personally believe prayer is important, whether you're praying to 'a god,' to your ancestors, to the boogie man-- whatever. Prayer is real. We should all do it if so inclined.
    kashiJohn_SpencerKundo
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I've always read, and tried to practice, that prayer is a practice to awaken our own inherent inner capacities of strength, compassion and wisdom, rather than to petition some sort of external force.

Author unknown (at least to me):

Let me not pray to be sheltered from danger,
    but to be fearless in facing them.
    Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
    but for the heart to conquer it.
    Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,
    but for the patience to win my freedom.
    riverflow
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

I guess what's important here is what helps an individual or people in general, and if they define it's as Praying or Prayer then that's should be ok. if a person is sick or Ill doing the Green Tara Puja or reciting the metta or mantra for that person an individual could define that as a prayer: especially for the people in the western country's that Buddhism wasn't there native religion and have converted from Christian to Buddhism.

I suppose then people pray to look for help.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    How come some old threads are closed if they are revived, and some go on and on? I don't mind, it just makes it a bit confusing when reading through, and finding older threads, if it is permissible to revive them.

I don't pray "to someone" for a favorable result. I don't pray for things that I think i don't have, and for someone out there to bless me with it, for example I don't pray for strength in dealing with difficult issues. We do say opening and closing prayers at our sangha, which I am fine with and it doesn't at all seem like prayer in the Christian sense to me. For a while I was averse simply to the word because of my Christian background, but they don't own the word, nor do they define it solely. So yes, sometimes I say prayers. But not looking for answers outside of myself, simply sending good wishes and love and compassion to others that I cannot be physically near.
    riverflow
  • karasti said:

How come some old threads are closed if they are revived, and some go on and on? I don't mind, it just makes it a bit confusing when reading through, and finding older threads, if it is permissible to revive them.

I don't pray "to someone" for a favorable result. I don't pray for things that I think i don't have, and for someone out there to bless me with it, for example I don't pray for strength in dealing with difficult issues. We do say opening and closing prayers at our sangha, which I am fine with and it doesn't at all seem like prayer in the Christian sense to me. For a while I was averse simply to the word because of my Christian background, but they don't own the word, nor do they define it solely. So yes, sometimes I say prayers. But not looking for answers outside of myself, simply sending good wishes and love and compassion to others that I cannot be physically near.

Talking about Buddhist precepts and the noble truths probably sounds like going through old threads too. Buddhism has been around for thousand of years and people are still talking about it. And hopefully, it will not meet its end.

And I think it is nice to send good wishes, love and compassion through prayers. That's good thoughts and it is free.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2013
    When a person takes the vow of the bodhisattva, what are they talking to?

Is that not a kind of prayer?

I'd suggest "The Energy of Prayer" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

It may not be praying to a deity and it may not be praying to anything...

I do pray, yes. Not out of habit but when the mood strikes me. I don't think I pray to anything exactly but more like a well wishing meditation. Breathing in, I take on the suffering of the universe, transform it and breathe out joy.

It may be useless but it strengthens my sense of compassion.
    Kundo
  • vinlyn said:

You see Buddhism as a rigid belief system. Not all of us do.

Agreed. As a henotheistic hybrid who has syncretized Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism nicely, without conflicts, I pray to deities, buddhas and bodhisattvas.

Just my .02 :)
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I guess I "pray", but in the form of meditation, puja and the pursuit of seeking knowledge.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Meditation, chanting these are a kind of prayer, so I guess I pray...in a way.
  • I've always read, and tried to practice, that prayer is a practice to awaken our own inherent inner capacities of strength, compassion and wisdom, rather than to petition some sort of external force.

Author unknown (at least to me):

Let me not pray to be sheltered from danger,
    but to be fearless in facing them.
    Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
    but for the heart to conquer it.
    Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,
    but for the patience to win my freedom.

It looks like we are praying for one thing or another. We can pray to awaken ourselves.
    EvenThird
  • i have my malas i do my mantra. and how i pray, like me talking to a friend over a cup of coffee at the our patio :)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited September 2013
    I don't pray to God, I pray for God.

I pray to you through all of us.

Or at least that is the intention.
    oceancaldera207riverflow
  • I usually like to pray about things that I think I have some sort of influence on.

For example, sometimes I pray before I eat. I pray that the food will grant me nourishment and the ability to continue to attempt to alter the world in ways that will grant happiness to at least some sentient beings.

Sometimes I pray before I must accomplish a major task.

I don't practice any sort of religion. I don't see direct evidence of any ultimate consciousness that will grant my wishes if I recite them in my head.

Rather, I use prayer as a method to guide the thoughts in my head towards thoughts that provoke action.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • i do. i pray :)
  • I open to blessings which is kind of the spirit of a prayer. For example just being alive is a blessing. And then there are blessings of the Buddha, the teachings, and the sangha.
  • ysmael said:

i have my malas i do my mantra. and how i pray, like me talking to a friend over a cup of coffee at the our patio :)

It's good to have a friend to talk to. One probably need to pray to something because one has no friend!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Praying can be the dropping of the barriers that define our identity.
    The suspension of the adversarial mind set that depends on self verses other.
    The very manifestation of stretching out beyond our ego boundaries.

If it supports compassion, love and wisdom then it's a worthy practice.
    If it creates greed, hate or delusion, then that praying is really preying.
    lobster
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    I've recently started trying to switch to using the pali, sanskrit, tibetan or japanese words for Buddhist jargon. Everytime I read about salvation, prayer, saints, holiness, prostrations, idols, sin, god, rosary, ... I can't help but trigger the corresponding ideas in a certain popular religion. Increasingly, I don't think these are the same.

Even the Jesuit and Shingon priest finally decided that Vairocana and God aren't the same, despite an uncanny family resemblance and a similar taste for fast cars and women.
    lobster
  • I am trying to get god to stop preying on me.
    Oh God, please leave me alone . . . oh you did . . . thanks . . . I can pray now.

What praying without rewards? Gosh we will be doing meditation with Nothing to show for it soon . . . :thumbsup:
    Kundo
  • I've recently started trying to switch to using the pali, sanskrit, tibetan or japanese words for Buddhist jargon. Everytime I read about salvation, prayer, saints, holiness, prostrations, idols, sin, god, rosary, ... I can't help but trigger the corresponding ideas in a certain popular religion. Increasingly, I don't think these are the same.

Even the Jesuit and Shingon priest finally decided that Vairocana and God aren't the same, despite an uncanny family resemblance and a similar taste for fast cars and women.

I just realise that god or even Buddha is multilingual. We can pray in many different languages!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2014
    I do not pray.
    Prayer involves approaching a Higher Power to ask for something.

As my teacher (a geshe and older monk from the Dalai Lama's monastery, Namgyal) tells us ...
    Buddhism is about what you do for yourself. There is no higher power that can bring enlightenment to you. You create it for yourself.

Any requests we have are the opposite of what Buddhists try to do, so why would we pray?

The pujas we do are visualizations to instill the qualities of the deities (compassion, wisdom, dedication to the Practice, etc) inside of us. They are not prayering.

I agree with White Rabbit. It is not appropriate to pray ... those who pray usually have not been trained in Buddhism.
    But, having been raised in a Christian society, I too found that one of the hardest things to let go of .. the hope that a Higher Power would do my work for me, give me solutions, etc.
    When in fact, the message of Buddhism is that the problem is our need for solutions. And not the situation itself.
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    footiam said:

Buddhists all over the world do pray and in different styles too. Should Buddhists pray and how do you pray?

I think if Buddhists have learned within their tradition to pray and it helps their practice then they can pray as much as they feel they need to.
    However I don't as I find it something needless to me. It wouldn't help my practice and I keep the ideals in mind as I go about my life rather than praying about them or to anything about them.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I agree with White Rabbit. It is not appropriate to pray ... those who pray usually have not been trained in Buddhism.

Trained?????

We're not circus animals.

zscKundo
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    CRACK! Down simba! I mean @vinlyn
    vinlynDairyLama
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    footiam said:

Yes. For example, if someone dies in a car crash or from cancer or something like that. You pray for their well being and their family's well being, etc. If you accidentally kill some kind of animal, you pray for it to have a good rebirth, etc. Stuff like that.

:)
  • Tonglen is similar to prayer particularly if you believe that you REALLY ACTUALLY are sending all your good feelings and taking all of their bad.

But it is the reverse of prayer because you are giving away rather than taking.

Also there are other mind training techniques similar to prayer. Trungpa said to let go of fear over death (what I recall at least). He said you say "whatever needs be done let it be done"... "if I am meant to die let me die"... "if I am meant to live let me live".

My teacher says that pray in Tibetan has no object. So it is just 'open' in a sense. Open to the universe. Because there is a seed of bodhicitta in all of us we thereby know that the universe is good.. We have food we can eat and ground to stand on. We can meditate and we have arms to hug each other.

The universe is good and praying could be opening to the awakened heart or bodhicitta.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    footiam said:

I just realise that god or even Buddha is multilingual. We can pray in many different languages!

But what if God only knows cockney rhyming slang? :p
  • One of my shrines died, in the process of resurrecting it so I can pray to . . . eh . . . m m m . . . myself?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

One of my shrines died, in the process of resurrecting it so I can pray to . . . eh . . . m m m . . . myself?

You could pray to the Great Cod. ;)
    lobster
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

@Cloud said:
    Pray? No... Even before Buddhism, with parents being Christian, it was something people did that never bore fruit. They'd pray for this or that and never receive a response. Of course if someone was sick, everyone (the community and friends/family) would get together and pray for their health, but more often than not it didn't do the trick. Think I'd change "pray" to "hope"; that's what it is (in my experience). :)

As for Buddhism, there's no external being to pray to there either. I can understand those that pray in a non-traditional way that's more to the inner-Buddha and not supplication to an external being or force, though this too may be construed as creating a separation that isn't there... as if the Buddha mind is something locked away inside the suffering mind. Nothing wrong with it, and if it works for those who employ it that's all that matters.

Namaste

I suppose some people would pray if it bears fruits.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@footiam: The thread is 3 years old.
    Majority of members no longer active. CSe was banned.

This discussion has been closed.