Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

OK, Guys... need your help with a personal project

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2014 in General Banter

This place is very close to my heart; it's where I taught my daughter to swim, and it's where I met one of the best friends I have ever had - it's a social jewel in the crown of sporting activity - and it's in dire need...

Please friends, do all you can... vote for this cause....

ok, ok...so you have to register with the site, but it's a short process, and your vote really counts - Please note: You have to pick a location within the UK of where "you live": The first option is Aberdeenshire - which is the northernmost tip of Scotland!! Other more local places, which may suit your lifestyle, social requirements and travel management more are:

Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex (East and West), Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire.

we need to keep this pool open - when you consider most children don't have an active enough lifestyle, encouraging them to go to the pool, splash around and have fun - is still a fantastic form of aerobic exercise! there isn't any other sport where you can work your body without even meaning to, and in such a safe, supportive way - the body is immersed in water, so there are no strains, impact injuries, falls or over-exertion!

It's just good clean fun! In every sense.... if your kids are allergic to showers or baths, this will clean them up without them even realising it! There are no disadvantages to keeping this pool open, for everyone to enjoy and benefit from! Please, if you get my news feeds - support this cause!

https://www.engagemutual.com/foundation/projects/save-our-swimming-pool/

(I posted this on FB too... that's how much support this cause needs!)

Zero

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I lied about being from the UK, but what the hell... 'tis a white lie for a good cause, and I ain't gonna argue with anyone. :)  

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm sorry if I inadvertently made you break the fourth precept - but I'm sure the Buddha thinks swimming is a good thing.... so I think it's ok!!

ToraldrisanatamanKundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Suddenly I come from Aberdeenshire ... do I get dual citizenship?

anatamanBuddhadragonkarasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

och aye a-wee the noo....

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

I'm in. I about threw the mouse across the room though...

My security question under registration was..' What sport does David Beckham play'?

I typed soccer in 3 times, got a big fat INCORRECT each time...and said...WTF? I know I'm right! I will not let this go.

I googled him.... lolololololol... "football" .. :dunce: ..

Saving the pool was worth it ... :) ... I love swimming!!!!

CittaDandelion

yes...I actually think Americans are the only ones who refer to football as soccer, in order to differentiate it from American football, which of course is a derivative of English Rugby, just as American baseball is a derivative of British Rounders.... All games every single other country plays better than we do.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Although non -Americans know the term, NO ONE outside of the US says 'soccer '... ;)

Its always 'football '.

Done @federica...

Thanks everyone, for your votes, by the way.

The pool is competing with other projects for these funds. Yesterday, it was third, and needs to be in the top two...I will let you know how things go and whether we are successful in gaining the grant! Get all your relatives to vote, too!!

edited May 2014

@federica .....When is the voting cut off?

tomorrow, I think... I'll check....

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Another vote @federica

@Vastmind said:
    federica .....When is the voting cut off?

>

think it's at the end of May - so the more voters we can gather, the better the chance we have to get the grant, to renovate, repair and modernise the pool...
    Drowning is still one of the biggest causes of deaths in young children. This place - and the 'Farnborough Fins' - are an invaluable asset to the county.

I don't know if you can listen to this...?

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2142735-save-our-pool-farnborough-fins

Julie Robinson is the wonderful friend who began this club.
    She now lives in Australia, but still has a very much hands-on relationship with the club and ministers long-distance.

This deserves to stay open.

Got it. About 9 days left.....

We're on it. .. :ninja: ..

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Voted! I now have a doppelganger living in Isle of Man. Somehow though, I doubt I am the only woman there.

You'd be surprised..... :D

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Forgive me Green Tara and Kuan Yin for I have sinned!
    I hope I don't get into trouble for ticking off that I live in Aberdeenshire...
    They'll believe I'm over 16 when they see me, but a Latin first name with a German last name living in Aberdeenshire...

Quite common actually....
    Be careful about too many members from Aberdeenshire... thye may begin to get suspicious.... :D

We're about 100 votes ahead - but things can change in the bat of an eyelid....

Vastmind

I'm in London. Stop by for a cup of tea. .. :) ..

love to darling! No sugar for me!

For those who have minimal geographic knowledge of the UK; Aberdeenshire is in the far North of the UK in bonny Scotland, and possibly soon to be part of an independent nation...

Places that are more legitimate are: Surrey, Sussex (East and West), Kent, Essex, Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Well you know, the only way is Essex ;) ...

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@genkaku said:
    Suddenly I come from Aberdeenshire ... do I get dual citizenship?

Me too lol! Bob

edited May 2014

@federica ... you might want to include in the OP that people need to choose the city they live in/use the drop down box. I included that info when I forwarded the message on today to relatives.... Will people read the whole thread first before going over to vote?

Done. Good point!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Citta said:
    Although non -Americans know the term, NO ONE outside of the US says 'soccer '... ;)

Its always 'football '.

Done federica...

That's not quite true. Most people in Australia call it "soccer".

Football is Aussie Rules or Rugby (depending on where you live).

Thanks for that... although my comment was more tongue-in-cheek than serious.

I actually love Aussie-Rules football... that is one mean hard-ball game! A friend of mine, who lives in London, but IS Australian, joked once that a game is no good, unless someone at least breaks a leg....

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Actually growing up we had another name for soccer but it's quite offensive so I'll leave it aside!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Football is Aussie Rules or Rugby

Ummm! We talk Rugby again...
    Yummy! Yummy!

federicaBunks

9 days to go: Currently 11 votes in front!

DandelionBunks
    edited May 2014

as of a half hour ago:

.. .last night we were 283 votes behind 1st place and 103 votes behind 2nd place.......first 2 places get the funding......as at the voting right NOW we are only 19 votes behind 2nd and only 73 behind 1st place.......yipppeee!!!

>

Quoting Julie Robinson (founder of Farnborough Fins).

Vastmind

I had some family members wait until now, in case we needed a final push.. :D ..

So, I'll unleash the hounds today...hahaha.

If you haven't yet...please do so everyone! Let's come together for Aunt Fede.

Any pool of hers....is a pool of ours.

They have posted up a new picture, of a child drowning. I say, if they can't save the pool, this will become a more frequent tragedy.

And that's the truth.

We're up into first...Man, those gymnastics girls are giving us a run for our

money, hahahaha. It's back and forth......so keep passing the word to vote!

Think of the children with their cute floaties playing marco polo. .. :) ..

Can you believe someone contacted them and told them the banner picture was too hurtful, to those who might have lost a kid to drowning - ?!

That's the whole point.... rather like showing the effects of smoke on lungs, in an anti-smoking tv campaign, or serious accidents and mortalities if you don't wear a seat belt.... Comes a time when the gloves have to come off.
    Drowning is a reality, and it's not a pretty thing to ponder.

My mother's cousin drowned when he was 9. And he could swim....

Vastmind

We need to ramp up the pressure guys.... only 3 more days to vote and they're snapping at our heels - we need to widen the gap -

doing well, but MUST do better to ensure we're not pipped at the post!

We apparently have a few celebrities on board too, so it's recognised as being a worthy cause, and worth the mention!!

• zenffzenff Veteran

How great is Greater Manchester?
    Anyways; with Van Persie and Van Gaal - and now me - we can say we have a Dutch community in Greater Manchester.

quite far away.... but who's to say you don't have relatives or something?

You know, I hate really, to put anyone in a position of having to be deceitful. First make sure you're ok with that, rather than worry about the particular location....

This is terrifying.

I hope you can watch this - the video takes a minute to upload, which is frustrating, but please - persevere.

As of a couple of hours ago...we were in the lead! Voting is closed and they'll announce who won the grant(s) June 9th!

Pool party at NB to be announced .... :) ...

Yes, we shall have to wait another 9 days, but unofficially - we've MADE IT!!!

Toraldris

I got the e-mail! Wow I made a difference thanks to you, and all I did was believe in you! How cool is that - No1