Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chris's Crazy Questions #1

EarthninjaEarthninja WandererWest Australia Veteran

Hi guys! I thought I would start a few threads in a sequence that aim at promoting some thought processes!
These are all open and it's really nice when you see what others think about these topics.
Sooo, here it is!

1 You are walking in a beautiful forest, a fairy lands on your shoulder and grants you three wishes. What are they?

Nirvana

Comments

• The second two questions would depend on whether I could get the money I need with the first.

NirvanaEarthninjadantepwKundo
  • I'll never know, because I've read enough fairy tales to know nothing is free. That includes fairy wishes. So I'd try to resist the urge to play around with something so dangerous and tell the fairy to find someone else.

EarthninjaBunksWalkerVastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

If I was walking in a beautiful forest on a salubrious day with a beautiful joy and a clear head and an eager heart, thus would I declare:

1) May any wish I make be in the best interests of everybody (i.e., be guided by wisdom and love)!

2) May I be granted three more wishes to use in future, including the ability to be granted even more as the occasion or need arose. (But always grounded in the desire, by degrees, to be a better person) —nay indeed, an Arahant: "incapable of transgression in regard to the nine encumbrances:

Of killing living things, of taking or claiming what is not mine, of the desire to engage in sex, of lying, of making use of stored-up enjoyments in a worldly way, or of taking a wrong course of action in four other ways: On account of desire, on account of hatred, on account of delusion, or on account of fear." Let this rank as my highest wish!

3) May my wishes always be pure and loving, no matter even if they sometimes be shortcuts or about certain creature comforts!

from AN 9:7; IV 370-71

Earthninjasova
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    I'll never know, because I've read enough fairy tales to know nothing is free. That includes fairy wishes. So I'd try to resist the urge to play around with something so dangerous and tell the fairy to find someone else.

I agree - I'd be asking the fairy to find someone else.

CinorjerEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2015

^^^ [lobster quakes] You iz evil. :p

I like @Walker wishes. I may have heard of something similar ... somewhere ... maybe a little fairy deva whispered it ...

Three wishes, too many decisions. Maybe I could firstly wish for just one wish ...

May all be well ... something like that ...

CinorjerEarthninjaWalker
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said: May all be well ... something like that ...

You're probably right.
    So:
    1. May all beings be well.
    2. Starship to explore the galaxy.
    3. Limitless ice-cream.

EarthninjaWalker
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Well alright then...keeping in mind @Federica's 'wishes',

1. that all humans will be ever kind, rational and loving
    2. that all sentient beings live forever (I know - it's not rational!)
    3. a nav.vy for every occasion

B)

CinorjerEarthninjaWalker
  • I think we are getting there guys ... <3

... now how do we catch that wish granting jewel-fairy-deva?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cintamani

[lobster shrugs] ... wish I knew ...

Earthninja

@lobster said: ... now how do we catch that wish granting jewel-fairy-deva?

She doesn't appear when sceptics are around. ;)

lobster
  • ^^^ I don't believe in skeptics or emptiness without form come to that ...

If we chant OM MANI PEME HUM, will the fairies come? I do believe in fairies. I do, I do!

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2015
    1. That humanity would wake up to the realization that it's on the brink of self-annihilation, and become motivated to work together to:
    2. Dial back global warming ASAP
    3. End war and get along
    StingRayEarthninja

@Dakini said: 2. Dial back global warming ASAP

A limitless supply of ice-cream would help with that. ;)

Earthninja
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

A limitless supply of ice-cream would help with that. ;)

Hot tip (well, maybe more like a cold tip ;) )

The best ice cream in the world is in Russia, sold in little paper cups by street vendors. It's an old recipe from the Soviet era (rumor has it that Khrushchev got the recipe from the Yanks on a visit to the US, but no one in the US has made it that way since the 50's, due to inflation raising the price of ingredients). It is not aerated (ice cream in the West is aerated to cheapen it--they're selling you air); it's solid cream, not powdered milk, skim milk and whey solids. Because it's solid cream, little sugar is needed; it gets its flavor from the cream, a subtle sweetness. The flavors are subtle, smooth.

Think of high cream content Swiss chocolate, vs. cheap Hershey's. US Ice cream manufacturers load up on candy- and cookie-type flavors, heavy on the sugar. Sugar is cheaper than cream, so the cream content was eliminated until "gourmet" ice cream came along, but even those brands still use a lot of sugar, and still use some skim milk.

This is worth the trip to St. Petersburg or Moscow to try. Just saying. It's important to get along with the Russians. Peaceful co-existence yields unexpected benefits. :)

WalkerEarthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"1 You are walking in a beautiful forest, a fairy lands on your shoulder and grants you three wishes. What are they?"

Well when I finally realise that I'm not tripping out on magic mushrooms and there really is a fairy sitting on my shoulder....

May you (fairy) be free from suffering( the continuing cycle of granting wishes to others) and may all your dreams come true....

StingRayEarthninja
  • @Shoshin said:

May you (fairy) be free from suffering( the continuing cycle of granting wishes to others) and may all your dreams come true....

What, no ice cream? You have one wish left, you've only used two...

ShoshinWalker

.....And may @SpinyNorman and his gang of icecream lovers have a never ending supply of their favourite icecream on tap...

Walker
  • @Shoshin said:
    .....And may @SpinyNorman and his gang of icecream lovers have a never ending supply of their favourite icecream on tap...

Hear, hear! Happy New Year, everybody!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Dakini said:

The best ice cream in the world is in Russia, sold in little paper cups by street vendors. It's an old recipe from the Soviet era (rumor has it that Khrushchev got the recipe from the Yanks on a visit to the US, but no one in the US has made it that way since the 50's, due to inflation raising the price of ingredients). It is not aerated (ice cream in the West is aerated to cheapen it--they're selling you air); it's solid cream, not powdered milk, skim milk and whey solids. Because it's solid cream, little sugar is needed; it gets its flavor from the cream, a subtle sweetness. The flavors are subtle, smooth.

Think of high cream content Swiss chocolate, vs. cheap Hershey's. US Ice cream manufacturers load up on candy- and cookie-type flavors, heavy on the sugar. Sugar is cheaper than cream, so the cream content was eliminated until "gourmet" ice cream came along, but even those brands still use a lot of sugar, and still use some skim milk.

This is worth the trip to St. Petersburg or Moscow to try. Just saying. It's important to get along with the Russians. Peaceful co-existence yields unexpected benefits. :)

It's patently obvious you have never tasted Italian ice cream, otherwise you'd know that Italian ice cream is by far the superior product.

• StingRayStingRay Glasgow Explorer

I would be very concerned that somebody had spiked by green tea!

Shoshin

Ok thought about this properly.

1) I would wish the most lofty wish which would be to attain enlightenment.

2) I would wish for the ability and skill to teach others to Also attain enlightenment

3) I would wish for a total end to world poverty!

lobsterEarthninja
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2015

@federica said:

It's patently obvious you have never tasted Italian ice cream, otherwise you'd know that Italian ice cream is by far the superior product.

I've heard people rave about Italian ice cream but it's not clear exactly what they're describing. Usually it turns out that they're talking about gelato, not ice cream. It's a different product. I'm definitely open to trying other ice creams. =)

StingRay
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2015

German ice cream is really good. I think some of the kinds I had were like Italian (somehow I got that idea) and had very intense flavor. The intensity was the burst of flavor not sure if sugar too but definitely intense nut or fruit flavor itself. Seemed to be nut and fruit flavors. Very intense and I seem to think that was the Italian style. And then I've had Belgian ice cream and a lot less intense flavor but very creamy and similar to American (quality brands) ice cream.

Some American ice cream is dense (little aeration) but it is more expensive. @Dakini was talking about the density. Ben and Jerry is pretty good dense ice cream. And you can make your own pretty easily with an ice cream machine.

WalkerStingRay
  • I would save the wishes if possible.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said:

And you can make your own pretty easily with an ice cream machine.

We had fresh milk and cream growing up on an acreage. The cream made excellent home-made ice cream.

EarthninjaVastmindDakini
  • Plus we'd have to listen to Cruz' bs for the next 10 months.

WalkerCinorjer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If you guys can exercise Gun Control, why not 'Idiot Control'...? Oh yeah, sorry..... 1st Amendment....

EarthninjalobsterCinorjer

When it comes to ice cream I don't go for a particular brand. However I love the luxury ice cream you get in a good restaurant. Very important for me that it is a high end creamy vanilla (not yellow) with small chunks of Dark chocolate throughout. I will be as mindful as possible of every mouthful next time! The big turn off if it arrives at your table a little melted. Must be solid but without seeing bits of ice all over it which is also a turn off !

With ice-cream I go for quantity rather than quality. ;)

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

My wishes would be questions about the fairy itself and about the source of its awesome power, the answers that I would get would be far more greater then any wish that anyone could possibly ever make, my questions could very well take me on an epic journey.

EarthninjaStingRay

....or she just might clout you over the head with her magic wand for being so logically presumptuous as to even try to question her origins and motives.

I would..... :p

Earthninjalobster
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

If a magical creature landed on someones shoulder and is willing to grant him or her wishes then that person would be special even before meeting the fairy because that could mean that destiny played a role in it.

EarthninjaStingRay

@bookworm said:
    If a magical creature landed on someones shoulder and is willing to grant him or her wishes then that person would be special even before meeting the fairy because that could mean that destiny played a role in it.

Yeah 'special' alright :winky: .....Hello Mr straight jacket..."Um so tell me ....When did this 'fairy' first start talking to you ???" :lol:

bookwormWalkersilverStingRay
  • Ah @karasti wise words. Not how much we can get out of the fairy but how little we need.

Well said. Many thanks. <3

WalkerVastmindEarthninja
    edited December 2015

@federica said: ....or she just might clout you over the head with her magic wand for being so logically presumptuous as to even try to question her origins and motives.

The Zennies would probably enjoy that though, they love hit getting with sticks.

Walkerbookworm
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

@federica said: ....or she just might clout you over the head with her magic wand for being so logically presumptuous as to even try to question her origins and motives.

The Zennies would probably enjoy that though, they love hit getting with sticks.

That's a specific school of Zen. Maybe a few off shoots..

I'm a Zennie, and have never been touched by one in my Monastery or any I have visted.
    I attend a Vietnamese school...the stick is a Japanese school thing, as far as I'm aware.

Just to clarify that generalization ;)

@Vastmind said: I'm a Zennie, and have never been touched by one in my Monastery or any I have visted.

You sound a little wistful though...

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2015

Had to look up that word. Wistful.

Nope, sorry...no wistfulness here. I have/have had no desire for the stick or the sandal.

I also won't call my Teacher 'Master' ....so..maybe it's a cultural thing....

Wow @karasti that is an excellent reminder to keep us on our path!

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2015

That we discover the secret to warp drive
    Mandatory atom reconstruction replicators in all homes across the globe
    Free education for everyone worldwide unless a subject is failed (to steer away the temptation to be a career student)

Alternately, I'd wish for the fairys ability to grant wishes, an island in the caribean that nobody else can detect and enough cash to make a difference in poorer countries.

Earthninja
    1. May all humans be free from fear so they can, for instancd, care less about other people's opinions and happily follow their dreams & express themselves with no fear of being judged
    2. May all beings show extreme and explicit compassion
    3. A forest made out of chocolate cookies
    Jeffreysilver

Gawd, it's sounding like the interviews on a Miss World show here.

lobsterWalkerfedericaEarthninja
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Earthninja said:

1 You are walking in a beautiful forest, a fairy lands on your shoulder and grants you three wishes. What are they?

1 - Collingwood get booted out of the AFL
    2 - Swans win the Grand Final for ever
    3 - Instant Enlightenment

;)

EarthninjaDairyLamaShoshin