Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Does "Taking Refuge" Mean To You ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited February 2016 in General Banter

"I go for/take refuge to/in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha !"

In a nutshell sense, (that is, with all the mumbo jumbo religious ceremonial trappings removed) I just see it as a commitment to become more aware of what 'is'....( so I guess that could be seen as an 'awakened' mind ie, taking refuge in an 'awakened' mind )

Many moons ago (when I first set foot on the path) at times I would think "Oh bugger this!..I'm going back to sleep"

Comments

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

For me it simply means that I'm examining this person known as the Buddha, and his teachings. Part of this examination is spent here, as I have no 'real-world' sangha, and haven't spent too much time on other on-line groups.

That's it. No great insight coming from me on this one.

ShoshinVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Walker said:
    For me it simply means that I'm examining this person known as the Buddha, and his teachings.

From what "I" gather....@Walker when you are examining the "Buddha" you are also examining your potential [non] 'self'....

Walker
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Looking for happiness and meaning via the teachings of Buddhism rather than looking for them in outer things.

ShoshinWalkerVastmind
  • Well I am a heretic (just a hobby) ;)

So the Buddha covers any awake person
    The Dharma is any law or lore based on Truth
    ... and the Sangha is any path workers heading towards awakening.

Do I take 'shelter' (refuge) in such arisings. Yes.

I suppose I am aligning with the way out of the matrix, rather than its programming ...

Shoshin
  • I think of it as saying "I have trust in"

Shoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@David said: For me, taking refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha is like taking shelter from the storm of suffering.

That's how I think of it. Finding the eye of the storm, so to speak.

ShoshinDavid
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It is a grounding thing for me. I do it every morning when I meditate. I know some who do it constantly but it seems to be back when I was a kid and said the Lord's Prayer because I was told to and not because I was sincere about it.

I actually take a minute to envision each part. When I take refuge in the Buddha, I envision him sitting before me and recognize what he did and why and remember that is why I follow this path. I envision Dharma (in the forms of books or Buddha teaching, or whatever) and remind myself of my commitment to practice. And the Sangha, both my smaller local and larger regional sanghas, and the worldwide sangha, as my companions side by side.

It is a reminder every day of why I chose this path and my commitment to it and my practice of it.

ShoshinKundoNirvanaDavid
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    "I go for/take refuge to/in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha !"

In a nutshell sense, (that is, with all the mumbo jumbo religious ceremonial trappings removed) I just see it as a commitment to become more aware of what 'is'....( so I guess that could be seen as an 'awakened' mind ie, taking refuge in an 'awakened' mind )

Many moons ago (when I first set foot on the path) at times I would think "Oh bugger this!..I'm going back to sleep"

After reading, study, and practicing for quite some time I pin point it as devoting yourself to know the true nature of life, of suffering, in order to help others out of it. Taking refuge to me is helping people from suffering. Its hard. Did twice in a row and its heavy on the body. Taking refuge is thanking The Buddha, reassessing and practicing the Dharma, and hopefully have a Sangha for support. Vows give the ump. But they arent whst actually moves the ball. Just reminds you that the ball doesnt stop.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I like the idea of putting ones' trust in the teaching it reminds me of 'this'

• Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

The Buddha = sanctuary
    The Dharma = wisdom
    The sangha = companionship, friends, support
    I place my trust in all 3, and it grows stronger as I learn and practice the path. I have wobbles, questions, doubts and confusion, but slowly finding my way, no physical sangha where I live at the moment, but the essence of the Refuge is always with me.

ShoshinCarlitalobsterNirvana
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

Good points guys,

I feel the trust/confidence/refuge does grow based on ones experience.

The very nature of the three jewels turn from the outward to the inner.
    The Buddha becomes an understanding of the emptying, our Inner Being.
    The Dharma, the resonance with qualities such as compasssion, wisdom, stillness.
    The Sangha, our arisings perhaps in outer form but increasingly our inner communion/contemplation/beings.

ShoshinkarastiTara1978
  • inyoinyo Explorer

I love this question. I think of refuge as a "safe place." Somewhere to be especially when feeling vulnerable or weak (or at any time). I have tons of places of refuge to suite the particular feeling I'm having. Sometimes the refuge is music, nature, family, friends, or alone time in my own inner dreams. I think it's important for everyone to find their refuge...we all need that safe place.

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@inyo, I think the OP means taking Refuge specifically in the Triple Gem....

• inyoinyo Explorer

@federica said:
    @inyo, I think the OP means taking Refuge specifically in the Triple Gem....

oh right! hehehe oops. It's way past my bed time. Hmm I'll be pondering this.

Shoshinsilver
  • Coincidentally, I was thinking about these three terms the other day when I suddenly felt the impulse to prostrate after meditation. But I also felt the necessity to define to myself what I was prostrating to.

What I came up with is Buddha=everything; Dharma=truth, truthfulness, however small or large; Sangha=friends (not just personal ones).

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I'm CONSTANTLY taking refuge this week and remembering that even though work is stressful and particularly demanding with rude people, this is not permanent and will pass. It's how I deal with it that affects me.

lobster