Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Indulge me... this is fun...

2»

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Dumber than dannit?

@silver -- Oh my typo-ridden fingers .... dammit!

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Dumber than dammit IS 'dannit'.....

lobster
  • KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited May 2015

Ok, how about regionalisms. With all the countries, regions of counties and flavo(u)rs of English represented on this forum this could be interesting.

I grew up from the age of 10 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where your mother might tell you: "We have company coming over! Go red (clean) up your room, it's a disgrace!" You might reply "Ok but the sweeper (vacuum cleaner) is blowed up (broken).

In Georgia it would be: "Ok, but the vacuum is tore up".

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Now, see, ^^that's^^ just excessive... me'd never go THAT far.....

• KennethKenneth Veteran

y'all's funny! :p

"In all good Conscious..."

...That's consciENCE.....

• It seems "When all's said and done", all is said and done, eh?

Shoshin
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2016

Not really to get into pedantries, but...

You even hear it on NPR (National Public Radio in the United States) by broadcast journalists:

"I'm running around (or feel like) a chicken with my head cut off."

I just laugh, because that makes no sense at all. Is there even a name for such a thing? Maybe a "misHatched Simile?"

In a squeaky voice I tauntingly am tempted to mock, "I feel like a chicken [scratchy voice], running around with my head cut off." (Literally?)

"I feel like a chicken running around with its head cut off."
    {Like a chicken with its head cut off, I run around}

Mixed metaphors can be funny, but mismatched similes are just mind farts:
    "I wouldn’t be caught dead there with a ten-foot pole."

genkaku
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2016

I will always be puzzled over how, for Brits, "The Dog's Bollocks!" is the opposite of "Bollocks!", in the parlance of our times....

• Not to be too morbid, but the chicken with it's head cut of, it do run run.

Regarding recent politics:
    Now let's not put the fox in charge of the hen house.

Of course, when they get their hands caught in the cookie jar, they try to weasel out of it and drop a dime on some witless underling.

Oh, and @IronRabbit, just where did "Dog eat dog" come from? Must have been some cat lovers...

@IronRabbit said:
    I will always be puzzled over how, for Brits, "The Dog's Bollocks!" is the opposite of "Bollocks!", in the parlance of our times....

Because, (she replied, cerebral cogs working 19 to the dozen!) Dog is a man's best friend.
    When a dog goes to the vet, for the snip, every male owner feels it. There is huge empathy between a man and his dog, when the time comes to part the balls from the bulldog... so by consequence, it's understood they're precious. Hence, 'the dog's bollocks!'.

However, tragically, once removed, they prove of no use, in any and every sense of the word.
    Hence 'bollocks!'

(On a slightly less vugar plane, we refer to them as 'the mutt's nuts'. )

• Brilliant, federica-pedia.

These seem so much sillier than panegyrizing Spot's snipped berries......

The Bee's Knees
    The Cat's Pyjamas
    The Cock's Socks
    The Ant's Pants