Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vassa Dhamma Challenge

Comments

• marcitkomarcitko Veteran
    edited August 2023

D8 (18/24/90)

Meditated and hiked for 3.5 hours.

Watched dirty videos - so according to my interpretation broke the precepts. @how got that Zen stick with you? It worked last time :)

BunksShoshin1
  • He can use mine!

marcitkolobsterBunksShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Is that a Zen two-by-four?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good progress guys! Keep it up. Maybe worth re-assessing your goals? Up to you. Finding a balance between setting something achievable but also pushing ourselves is tricky.

lobsterFleaMarketmarcitkoShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2023

we are trying, try a little harder … don't want to be a sheeple or a free buddha …

Everyone is journeying. Some have ended/found their pathway.

Persevere. Inspire. Buddify …

FleaMarketShoshin1
  • Took a 20 minute walk outside, did a round of push ups and sit ups. Not sure how long I sat for but it was more than usual. There's a little resistant feeling. The jig is up, we're getting healthier and building a floor to being unhealthy. The denizens of the deep cry out in protest but there's no hard line or tough guy enforcing anything, just paying more attention to the results of my actions. I show them some truth and they will come around to appreciating the feeling of better actions.

BunkslobsterShoshin1
  • I find lust to be a strong problem with me, especially with phones and the possibility of unlimited and free access. I started to take a "wider" view of it and realised that if I wanted to be against seeing women as sexual objects and the dark world of sexual desires I had to stay away from this content. Everything is interconnected. This is a product of our natural demands magnified by technology and capitalistic ventures.

Precepts are good...But my meditation practice is bad. I think I need to wake up earlier. But this challenge is helping me refine my day to day. That has to count no?

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2023

@marcitko said:
    D8 (18/24/90)

Meditated and hiked for 3.5 hours.

Watched dirty videos - so according to my interpretation broke the precepts. @how got that Zen stick with you? It worked last time :)

The Zen stick that one asks for can sometimes be compared to the bar of soap on the prison washroom's floor that is better left alone.

Because no one knows how to pull our chain like our own ego, a successful meditation practice is less about pulling back against the force of its pull and is more about letting go of that chain's hold over you.
    Each nano moment offers all of us a choice of how we relate to our ego's control over us. The entirety of any practice is only really measurable by how we relate to this pull in this present moment.

Take comfort in the endless opportunity that each single moment of practice offers and an inexhaustible grace from suffering's grasp can unfold...just one nano second of effort at a time.

KotishkalobsterShoshin1FleaMarket
  • What a good stick that was!
    Thank you!

Bunks

@Kotishka said:
    I find lust to be a strong problem with me, especially with phones and the possibility of unlimited and free access. I started to take a "wider" view of it and realised that if I wanted to be against seeing women as sexual objects and the dark world of sexual desires I had to stay away from this content. Everything is interconnected. This is a product of our natural demands magnified by technology and capitalistic ventures.

Precepts are good...But my meditation practice is bad. I think I need to wake up earlier. But this challenge is helping me refine my day to day. That has to count no?

A good post and one I can wholeheartedly relate to. Let us walk together 🙏🏻❤️💎

lobsterKotishka
  • Strained my ankle a few days ago then injured it more thinking it was better and continuing to use it. Probably three more days before I test it out more fully. I know exactly when it happened too. An overzealous ankle roll while on a stroll. Overzealous, that's a good word. Always preceding an injury if you're me.

Did push ups, sit ups, eating pretty healthy. Cleaned some spiderwebs off the outside wall. I want to add more but not sure what and also facing some hesitation I need to investigate.

@Bunks said:
    Let us walk together

Good luck you two. I'm still in the observation phase.. >:)

Bunkslobster
  • Recalibrating a little bit:

1. 5 Precepts best I can (ants are no exception)
    2. Sit on my meditation cushion 5 minutes minimum
    3. Pick 2 minimum: Upper body, core, lower body, stationary bike 15 min, outside walk 15 min
    4. Step outside
    5. Meet sexual interest with disinterest and move attention elsewhere/activity change
    6. Be mindful while socializing

..and a little reminder to myself
    Meditation provides what you're looking for and does not come with all the side effects which obfuscate your ability to harmonize in society. It's better to be alert from a natural rest routine than drinking copious amounts of coffee. Chase the buzz get stung by the beez.

Bunkslobster

Good morning to my Kalyana Mitta’s! I just finished my meditation for the day 😀

Today is two weeks since the start of Vassa so I thought a good time to reflect on how it’s gone and confess any indiscretions I may recall over the last couple of weeks and my determinations to do better next time.

1. I drank two glasses of wine one night. We had house guests and they specifically bought a bottle of wine for me. One thing I know about myself is that I’m a “people pleaser”. I’ll normally do whatever needs to be done (wholesome or otherwise) to please others. It is something I am trying to work on. Particularly since I’m focusing on the precepts. There were other nights my house guests offered me wine and I said no.
    2. I have to be careful with divisive speech online when talking about sport. When I read a comment criticising my team or a player I tend to respond with something divisive. I’ve banned my self from commenting on any threads during this period.
    3. I am not sure if this constitutes lying but I let my son beat me at a game we were playing together. He is only ten years old so it was something I could beat him at fairly easily every time but after doing that about four or five times I thought I’d let him have a win 😊

That’s about it for now. Stay safe and practice well 🙏🏻

KotishkaShoshin1FleaMarketlobster
  • I allowed exhaustion to overtake me the other day and bought three 20oz Asahi beers thinking it the solution. Even while drinking them I remember thinking "This sucks." The next day, a mild hangover and emotional hypersensitivity. I suppose a silver lining is repetition of noticing and acknowledging how crappy the experience is likely reinforces understanding and shapes future choices. Now to become more aware when what's happening is leading to the exhaustion which causes the choice.

Ankle is still not good enough to walk on around the neighborhood and I may have aggravated it further by testing it out while cleaning up around the house without the brace. Strained my wrist by overcompensating with upper-body exercises. New exercise routine: Lay down and don't move or think until things are better.

There has been next to no formal meditation and going outside consists of walking to the mailbox and back. It appears that may be my exercise for the time being as well. In and of themselves, just activities. How the mind relates to them, the mood. Investigation, understanding, dispassion, indifference, this is where I am heading.

It's really hard to speak from where one is and not be a downer to others when things are tough. Though this is a challenge and what's a challenge without some difficulty.

May all beings find the way out of samsara.

Shoshin1Bunkslobster

@FleaMarket said:
    I allowed exhaustion to overtake me the other day and bought three 20oz Asahi beers thinking it the solution. Even while drinking them I remember thinking "This sucks." The next day, a mild hangover and emotional hypersensitivity. I suppose a silver lining is repetition of noticing and acknowledging how crappy the experience is likely reinforces understanding and shapes future choices. Now to become more aware when what's happening is leading to the exhaustion which causes the choice.

Ankle is still not good enough to walk on around the neighborhood and I may have aggravated it further by testing it out while cleaning up around the house without the brace. Strained my wrist by overcompensating with upper-body exercises. New exercise routine: Lay down and don't move or think until things are better.

There has been next to no formal meditation and going outside consists of walking to the mailbox and back. It appears that may be my exercise for the time being as well. In and of themselves, just activities. How the mind relates to them, the mood. Investigation, understanding, dispassion, indifference, this is where I am heading.

It's really hard to speak from where one is and not be a downer to others when things are tough. Though this is a challenge and what's a challenge without some difficulty.

May all beings find the way out of samsara.

I usually get drunk once or twice a year just to remind myself why I don’t do it anymore hehe! That’s what I tell myself anyway.

Sounds like you’re going through a tough patch. It will pass, don’t give up.

FleaMarketJeroenShoshin1
  • Thanks @Bunks. It's strange understanding choices lead to results then experiencing the results of past choices and getting so wrapped up in them. And change too, it's unexpectedly tricky sometimes even when knowing all things change. Thank you for the reminder. It will pass. I won't give up.

Bunkslobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Aaahh, Ajahn Chah. Love it!

Bunks

Recent undertakings worthy of confession:
    1. Stealing sugar sachets from local coffee shop
    2. Harsh speech directed at queue jumper while waiting for a taxi

Shoshin1lobster

Bravo @marcitko

lobstermarcitko
  • I imagine you are not a Buddha/Goddess/Super Hero
    Easy for me to imagine. However …

Imagine you are a stream entrant, yogi adept, side kick …

Can we:

1. Pick each other up
    2. Tune up
    3. Support

we can-can 💃🏿🕺🦹
    https://www.sonima.com/meditation/means-take-refuge/

🤗🫠🫶🦞

BunksmarcitkoShoshin1FleaMarket
  • My grandmother has now AC in her flat. I have not meditated at all, but the rest is going quite well!

BunksFleaMarket
  • Today I did all three of my commitments B)=)

FleaMarketBunksShoshin1
  • Good stuff @marcitko. Got mine done too. They're things I generally enjoy doing. Maybe its the list format? I dunno yet.

• @FleaMarket said:
    They're things I generally enjoy doing.

Ah ha! Seems like a plan. 😌🫶🙏
    I enjoy being inspired by succeeding Buddhist practice. So I am here on New Buddhist or somewhere worthwhile.

Have I meditated? ✅ Did I Exercise and mantra from a seated posture ✅
    Now if I do one more enjoyment … ?

Holy Mother of Buddhisms, the Neo-Buddhists are on their Way!
    https://buddhism-guide.com/neo-buddhist/

“21) I believe that I am having a re-birth.”

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

After a particularly horrendous two weeks where I’ve berated myself for leaving Pathology and seriously considering going back, I’m joining this quest late.

Yesterday and today so far, have consisted of me getting so upset to the point of tears, that I have had to constantly remind myself of my Bodhisattva vows and calm down. Currently on my third headache in two days so I need to refocus and meditate my arse off.

KotishkaFleaMarketmarcitkoShoshin1

@SuraShine said:
    After a particularly horrendous two weeks where I’ve berated myself for leaving Pathology and seriously considering going back, I’m joining this quest late.

Yesterday and today so far, have consisted of me getting so upset to the point of tears, that I have had to constantly remind myself of my Bodhisattva vows and calm down. Currently on my third headache in two days so I need to refocus and meditate my arse off.

Oh no! Hang in there buddy.
    This too shall pass…

SuraShinelobsterShoshin1

My first Eight Precepts Wednesday today for the Vassa period 🙏🏻❤️💎

SuraShineFleaMarketmarcitkoShoshin1

Good morning to all my Kalyana Mitta’s 🙏🏻
    I saw such benefits out of taking the eight precepts on Wednesday I carried on yesterday and will also today. I’m going to stay at Newbury Monastery tonight for the weekend so will continue tomorrow and Sunday 🙏🏻
    Disclaimer: I’ve continued to sleep in my normal bed. I don’t lie around in bed anyway, I’m usually up between 4am and 5am so don’t feel like it would make a difference. Also, as well as Dhamma content, I’ve watched a couple of travel documentaries but they don’t stir up any passion in me. In fact, I find them quite soothing and calming. I’ve made sure to avoid any media like news, sport, gossip etc that does stir up the emotions 🙏🏻
    How is everyone else going?

FleaMarketShoshin1lobsterSuraShine
  • Good evening @Bunks. I'm pet-sitting two cats and a dog this week. Results have been more sun, more exercise, more reminders to get out of my head. Nice efforts on the extended 8 precepts and have a pleasant stay!

Shoshin1Bunkslobster
  • How is everyone else going?

I have been gone a long time … 🤗

As some know, I am a precept. Which I constantly break. However … in the sense you infer:

• meditated and did secret yogi practices in half lotus, half rose and full hearted
    • had an advanced vegan breakfast (not for breakfast)
    • chanted my mantra as silently as possible

OM YA HA HUM HRIH (pronounced or not)

Bravo everyone, soon we will no longer be Bodhi or Bodhisattvas (Buddha willing) 🫠🤫🙄

JeroenBunksShoshin1

@Bunks said:

How is everyone else going?

Heya Bunks :)

I’ve been meditating daily since last checking in and devoting the proper time to my Bodhisattva vows. I’ve managed to keep my emotions in check and am currently mindfully reviewing the pros and cons of going back into Pathology. Not letting my emotions dictate the decision.

• Sura
    Shoshin1KotishkaBunkslobster
  • Last night I sat for 22 minutes (funny number). I thought, "it is too late for meditating, I don't feel like it." I decided to Lobster it up with some positive visualisations and meditation.

I managed to sit crossed legged and realised my zafu needed it an extra cushion. It does make the pain go away completely and my posture is much more stable. My cushion is breaking though...

Also I smoked. It was really fun. Isn't samsara a lot of fun and games....that then we need to leave behind in one go.... maybe that is the problem...not knowing how to let go...!

Bunkslobster

<3 Nice work @SuraShine and @Kotishka - keep it up

KotishkalobsterSuraShine
  • Tee hee … Lobster it up … :mrgreen: Long before I ever meditated, I used to sit and contemplate how I would meditate … once I was up for it …

So now for example, I mantra myself to sleep. I meditate in my exercise and exercise in half lotus.

Bunks

Today is Wednesday, my eight precepts day 🙏🏻

Practice well my friends

Shoshin1lobster
  • @Kotishka said:
    Last night I sat for 22 minutes (funny number).

Some food for thought...

A session of twenty-four minutes is a good starting interval; for most people, it is neither too short nor too long ... and this is the session duration that the eighth-century Indian Buddhist contemplative Kamalashila recommended for begining meditators. (Minding Closely: The Four Applications of Mindfulness By B. Alan Wallace p.33)

Bunks

I’m not gunna lie…the last couple of weeks have been tough.

When this Vassa started the Monk leading the way told us that, even for the monastics, once you get into the middle of the period the going gets tough.

Just hanging in there.

Meditation is poor but still sitting twice a day.
    Precepts pretty good but my fourth precept (no false, divisive, harsh speech) has been ok with a few slip ups.
    Not sure if I’ve lost any weight yet.

Hope you’re all well.

Shoshin1marcitkoFleaMarketlobster
  • @Bunks I have read a phrase recently that might illuminate this issue: "Inspiration is like a toilet-paper fire". The monks were wise. We start with inspiration - but then need something else.

I will post an update later.

Bunks
  • The struggle-bus tour is over here too @Bunks. Though the heat broke this week so been outside a few times. I'm finding room to meditate while exercising; or at least mindful observation. Something about the body in motion makes mindfulness on things easier right now. I think it was @lobster who said "Sometimes cold showers, sometimes warm showers, sometimes no showers" and that brings me a lot of comfort.

Bunks
    edited September 2023

Yep I’ve been struggling too. But I make sure I still make sure I say my Bodhisattva vows daily and make a small offering.

Bunkslobster
  • I too have been struggling, mostly through losing focus.

I've been exercising haphazardly, mostly not eating "stupid shit", trying to keep the precepts, but drank a concern-inducing 3 times.

@Bunks Lead us forward.

Bunks

marcitkoFleaMarket

Today is Wednesday. 8 precepts day.

My football team is playing in the champions league for the first time in twenty years this morning but I’ll ignore that to focus on my practice. Not really bothered to be honest.

Would’ve been a time not so long ago when that was unthinkable.

Definitely a sign of progress 🙏🏻💪

Shoshin1FleaMarketmarcitkolobster

How to Give in the most Fruitful Way