Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Buddhist teacher admits ... BUDDHISM HAS FAILED!

2»

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Jundo’s fourth video, on how traditionalist Buddhist thinking may end up having a negative impact by ignoring the benefits of progress.

In a way what he says reminds me of the psychedelic renaissance that is going on at the moment. Some deep experiences are indeed more easily available through a psilocybin mushroom than through zazen meditation. But that is still limited to a Buddhist perspective.

If you look at the psychedelic revival through a wider lens, you can see that the work being done with Ayahuasca in Peru and Brazil has a more far-reaching effect on the psyche, through working on trauma, blockage, the ego, and other elements.

I still think it is better to bring the best of Buddhism’s ideas to the rest of the world, rather than to try to bring the rest of the world into Buddhism.

Yeshe2019
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 30

I think this just reconfirms my sense that he is too online. Its not just the headlines that's clickbait its kind of his whole tone.

Buddhism hasn't been the entirety of the social sphere and it won't be going forward, there's no need to get so hyperbolic. I think pretty much every non monastic (and probably the majority of monastic) Buddhist I've heard from takes an integrated approach to Buddhism, melding it with modernity. Maybe his view is informed by his living in Japan with a more traditional mindset? IDK what their attitude is, I'm just speculating.

I think just reiterating a point I made earlier. Jumping heart first into these powerful new technologies makes it more likely that you'll create bad outcomes. You're so eager to do good and think the purity of your motivation will see it through that you become incautious and do harm. "Helping" all the butterflies out of their cocoons.

howJeroenYeshe2019lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Maybe this is a useful addition. I had a short look at the book’s website, and found this blurb:

Zen and Buddhist insights, timeless wisdom gathered over centuries, can help guide us in our lives today and in the prudent use of new technologies, nurturing a calm and serene world, prosperous yet existing in harmony with nature, a healthy, contented and good society for the centuries to come.

Let Zen inspire us to sometimes step back from our machines and digital devices, returning to the simple and old-fashioned ways, the slow ways, because they are beautiful ways. In the rush for improvement, let us learn to sit still sometimes and rest from our goals, drop the quest for constant upgrades and efficiency, restrain the endless hunger for progress, and turn off the flashing lights and ceaseless noise.

• Yeshe2019Yeshe2019 Australia Explorer

@person said:
    I think this just reconfirms my sense that he is too online. Its not just the headlines that's clickbait its kind of his whole tone.

Buddhism hasn't been the entirety of the social sphere and it won't be going forward, there's no need to get so hyperbolic. I think pretty much every non monastic (and probably the majority of monastic) Buddhist I've heard from takes an integrated approach to Buddhism, melding it with modernity. Maybe his view is informed by his living in Japan with a more traditional mindset? IDK what their attitude is, I'm just speculating.

I think just reiterating a point I made earlier. Jumping heart first into these powerful new technologies makes it more likely that you'll create bad outcomes. You're so eager to do good and think the purity of your motivation will see it through that you become incautious and do harm. "Helping" all the butterflies out of their cocoons.

I watched the video, at first it was a little in-your-face, but I feel it’s a clever tactic to get the listener’s attention. I agree about the ‘click bait’ slogan, Buddhism has failed Person made a great point with this. Personally, I don’t think it’s failed, it’s just that people awaken in their own time, maybe not in this lifetime, but there is hope they will awaken someday. Although it’s the journey, not the end goal to forge a path with Buddhism.I feel it’s the most peaceful of all lifestyles and ‘religions’ and the messages are so clear and most schools of Buddhism follow very similar ideologies without forced-indoctrination. Buddhism is a personal spiritual path where you apply techniques hat are useful, if you feel they are not whether, science has determined this for you, or another method just DON’T DO IT. Be kind, don’t harm others and showing compassion, or going that step further and practically helping others that are less fortunate, now that’s just 9be if many Buddhist paths. Okay, getting off my little soap box now… blessings to all 🌸

JeroenlobsterDagobahZenKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Dear Failed Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and associated Bodhi,

As we may know, the Free Software Foundation is ideal for all levels of failure and preparation for Buddha2 (the next earth Shakti shaker)

Here is their European citizens site:
    https://fsfe.org/

Align your online Sangha, Lamas and similar. 'Today is a good day to try', as the Neo-Klingons say ...

edited April 12

Jundo’s fifth video in which he talks about the positive side of investigating new technology and wags the finger at various dystopian thinkers. I wonder how many of these short videos he will make?