Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ten years of wisdom

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I’ve been reading Friedrich Nietzsche’s book ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’, where the wise man of the title after living in isolation in the mountains for ten years decides to head down to where the people live to share the things he has learned.

So it put me in mind of who I was ten years ago, before I studied Buddhism, Nisargadatta, Poonjaji, and all the rest. In a way I don’t think I was that different, more impatient certainly. My mind was more full of technology, mathematics, algorithms, software design, science. It was a bit much of a burden, I needed to empty my cup. Still, the books of the wise can only change you if you believe in their truth.

Buddhism certainly made some changes, it’s truth was self evident in places. The ideas of dukkha and letting go of clinging, of living in ease and happiness, all made an impact. As did the later neo-Advaita idea that you are already That, that there is indeed no path, only the Mystery of which we are all part. I have the feeling that for my own wisdom to arrive there will need to be some further waiting for things to mature.

The things I have learnt to be wary of are directives… you have to be this, you have to find that. When wrapped up in pretty words they can be a pernicious kind of conditioning. Even in your half dreams, these can be dangerous. It is best to pay them no attention.

It’s like the Taoist saying says, the Man of Tao lets something go every day.

lobster

Comments

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    person
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

And after ten years of wisdom...

Fosdickpersonhow
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    On the other hand… 🪬
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anekantavada

The doctrine of manysidedness, which says “a qualified yes” to everything? Maybe so.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 3

“I am not out to liberate anybody. You have to liberate yourself, and you are unable to do that. What I have to say will not do it. I am only interested in describing this state, in clearing away the occultation and mystification in which those people in the 'holy business' have shrouded the whole thing. Maybe I can convince you not to waste a lot of time and energy, looking for a state which does not exist except in your imagination.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

This is the problem, Ramana’s exhortation to be quiet and enquire within is not the same as the Buddha’s encouragement to find nirvana, or the realisation that Eckhart Tolle speaks of in his book The Power of Now. All these teachers found their own way to enlightenment.

You certainly can’t mix-and-match approaches by different teachers, there is no guarantee of any compatibility of techniques or meditations. There is even no guarantee any given teachers ideal state can be reached at all, as UG mentions. It is maybe only given to rare individuals to achieve them.

All you can do is follow the meditation instructions up to the point where you are starting to experience some bliss, some insight, some hint of clarity. Then you abandon the beaten path, you let go of all your preconceptions, the teachings. You step into the unknown landscape.

For me, the moment which shows the greatest promise is awakening from sleep. I feel refreshed, cleansed, made whole again, but also often blessed. As if in unawareness I have come closest to deep meditation.

lobster

@Jeroen said:
    You certainly can’t mix-and-match approaches by different teachers

I’ve decided to pick a single book and teacher, and work with that for a more extended period. It seems to me the best way forward, to see where I am at on the spiritual path.

Considering all the spiritual books I have read and know about, Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now has been the clearest and feels the most on my wavelength for an extended study. It has enough practical material to work with, and is culturally the least encumbered.

lobster

Strangely, I have to report a lack of success… I read The Power of Now once, and found myself unable to finish it a second time. Very curious. I’m somewhat baffled.

Anyway I guess that is the end of that experiment. It seems my spirit is a lot less malleable than I thought.

lobster
  • Hi @Jeroen

Some unasked for advice/perspectives. All of it just IMO.

That you did the experiment is excellent, now you have more data for the internal computer to churn on.

IMO, the experiment does not prove that digging one deep well instead of many small holes is wrong - it just proves that the Power of Now is not that big well for you at this time.

I'd say, lower the bar and stay humble. Look for a deep well that inspires and that you can see yourself actually digging with determination and consistency.

I have a feeling that for you - and for me - the deep well currently is not so much very high spiritual philosophy/practice but more an actual-factual practical wholesome engagement with the world and people.

And in that engagement, if we do it in a wholesome way, spiritual insight comes by itself.

There's a song in my country that includes the lyrics: "Stay in the light and the answers will come all by themselves". IMO, we need to find activities that keep us in the light and keep us growing in positive ways.

Apologies if this was unasked for and is irritating... or just plain wrong.

Jeroenpersonlobster

Your input is very welcome @marcitko

I came across a little section of Osho yesterday that felt appropriate, he was telling a new disciple that we had within us the capability to build a spiritual heaven or a spiritual hell, that we had the choice. That by following our joy and giving it our attention and energy, we could arrive at a celebrating and a flowering, and that this was the beginning of a long pilgrimage towards God.

Perhaps that is a better path for me than to try to follow Eckharts short pointers to Being.

marcitkolobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

Ten years of wisdom

As one ventures along the Path, gradually opening the door of perception, one becomes increasingly aware of what lies behind it.

"Wisdom is just awareness spelt differently."

How one utilises this awareness measures the level of wisdom.

lobster