Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Snobby Hobby?

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited August 2 in General Banter

What’s your favorite hobby right now? Have u been doing it a long time…is it new? Any hobbies you want to start?

Shoshin1

Comments

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

My new hobby is Jainism. It is kinda new. Been trying to find their Mantras. I could do with the asceticism, restraint, extreme diet etc. o:)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Hmm. Before I set out on my spiritual search, all my hobbies had to do with games. We know how that turned out. After I set out on my spiritual search, I dropped everything and was pretty one-pointed in doing that.

Just recently I picked up learning Spanish again.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Recently I've done a couple puzzles from a unique puzzle maker, Odd Pieces.

https://oddpieces.com/

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Never heard of Snooker…had to look it up.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

It's like pool for snobs.

marcitkoDagobahZenlobster
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

Hobby - Living
    Endeavor - Living
    Result - Living

lobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

Over the years I've had many hobbies, drawing, bush walks, skinny dipping....

For many years one my hobby used to entomology, studying insects and other creepy crawlies ...Back in my past life, I worked as a pestologist, which involved insects, spiders, rodents, and bird pests AKA unwelcome guests...

Never a dull moment with that hobby...

Basic entomology can be interesting and fun
    But finding out how insects live, is not for everyone
    Some people have a phobia about things that creep and crawl
    But if they took time out to study them, they would have no fear at all!

Another of my hobbies was candle making, sometimes scented ones, which I did for quite a while. Then I switched to making figures out of chocolate, I also made chocolate Buddhas.

Now my main hobby is to just sit in silence twice a day, observing the observer observing the observer...

VastmindlobstermarcitkoJeffrey

Wow Shoshin…what interesting hobbies!! 🪳 🐞 🐛.

Oh, how I want chocolate Buddha now!

lobstermarcitkoLionduck
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran
    edited August 3

@Vastmind said:
    Wow Shoshin…what interesting hobbies!! 🪳 🐞 🐛.

Well it wasn't actually a chocolate Buddhas I made ... it was really a chocolate Hotei, Hotei was the only mould shape I could get my hands on...

They were sooooo yummy...I made quite a few and was giving them to Dharma friends...

VastmindmarcitkolobsterLionduck
  • marcitkomarcitko Veteran

I very much enjoy doing sports, it's my medicine and teacher.

I also enjoy playing chess, these days mostly arm-chair amateur astronomy, arm-chair Himalayan alpinism (following along expeditions), learning about investing, and watching Coursera lectures.

Youtube could also be a hobby (I don't have a TV, nor any subscriptions) but that one is hit and miss, sometimes I watch wonderful and uplifting things and sometimes its mindless drivel.

Vastmindlobster
  • zorrozorro minneapolis Veteran

I hike with my dog almost every day. For the better part of the year, we are both barefoot, so when we get home I wash all of our feet and then comb the bur's out of my buddy's coat (standard poodle).

Shoshin1Vastmindlobstermarcitko

sometimes its mindless drivel

...Not sure how you have managed that?

I find it is always mindless drivel + mindless ads + mindless AI generated sponsorship. Must be a better way to be without a Mind and hobby horse...?

Answers and suggestions to 'Google is KNOT your friend or wind horse'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_Horse

All chocolate is Buddha. Put her on your shrine. Worship and take sacrament. o:)

Here to worship cocoa :mrgreen:

Shoshin1

I'm studying maths.

Bravo! Outstanding hobby!
    Well done on your summer efforts. Does summer count as a hobby? o:)

@Jeffrey ….i give you much respect for being a thirsty learner! 🤓. I know a little about a lot of things…but Algebra ain’t one of them.

marcitko
    edited August 5

@marcitko … what specific sports? I also love the arm chairs at the planetarium! 😁 I think my early love of science came from being taken to the planetarium all the time as a child, and living close by Cape Canaveral. …. (Cape Kennedy for those who know )….and I’ve continued that as an adult. Our University here opens their scopes to the public once a month. 👍

marcitko
    edited August 5

@lobster …I hadn’t brushed up on my Jainism in awhile. …homework ✔️ 💯
    ..you always make folks work for it, don’t ya 🤣

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 5

@Jeffrey said:
    I'm studying math.

I found math to be one of the more useful aspects of my engineering degree, a lot of computer programming is in practice applied mathematics. Although outside of work it doesn’t have as many applications as say a language.

lobster
  • marcitkomarcitko Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    @marcitko … what specific sports? I also love the arm chairs at the planetarium! 😁 I think my early love of science came from being taken to the planetarium all the time as a child, and living close by Cape Canaveral. …. (Cape Kennedy for those who know )….and I’ve continued that as an adult. Our University here opens their scopes to the public once a month. 👍

Wow, what a place to grow up and live! Did you see any of the rocket launches? If so, how was it to witness that?
    I am reminded of this video :)

I like running most because it is most accessible and is done outside. I also go to the gym (especially in summer/winter) where I do cardio and some weight training. With friends, I sometimes play football, basketball, badminton, even squash. But after squash I'm like an invalid for a couple of days so I don't like it that much :) I go hiking both by myself and with friends.

lobster
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Last year I learned to play mandolin because our Country Dance band kept getting requests for Copperhead Road. Now in our Rock band our new singer wants to do Sin Wagon. We don’t have a banjo player in the band so I’m on the lookout for a decent used banjo to learn on.

But considering the cultural stature of that particular instrument, this will be more of an antisnobbyhobby I think.

VastmindJeroenShoshin1lobster

@marcitko …. Yes sir. Shuttle launches were mandatory attendance. 😁 my Mother would pack up sack lunches and snacks and lawn chairs….we would pile in our cream Chevy Nova and off we went. I can’t remember the name now, but there was a road that led up to the Center,that’s where cars would line both sides, park and set up. It’s wild that I immediately recognized that view…..It depended on the importance or significance of the smaller ones if my Father thought it worth the work of going. If you live within a 15 mile radius, you always knew a couple people that worked there too…

marcitkoJeroenlobster

hi @Steve_B …. Glad you came out to talk..good to see you :)
    Banjo, huh?? Niiiice. Sin Wagon is a good song!
    Thank you for keeping people like me on the dance floor! 👏

lobstermarcitko

I looked it up and found this…

Some fairly challenging solo’s there…

edited August 6

There I was minding my own hobbies, when:

1. I became an invitee to information security on Mastodon and the Fediverse
      https://infosec.exchange/invite/n8VvMx3t
    2. Meditation is a hobby hoarse for mantrayana?
    3. Invisible silence iz hobby?

Really don't think I have got the hang of these hobbits.

marcitko
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

@Vastmind said:

Hey Lady! How ARE you!?

I don’t post much here these days, but I do drop in, have a look around, see how people are doing.

And we musicians love it when people get up and dance!

Vastmindmarcitkolobster
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    I looked it up and found this…

Some fairly challenging solo’s there…

Yup, that’s the one. Some VERY challenging solos!
    For most of our songs we try to replicate what’s on the record. For this one it’s obviously impossible; the Chicks have some serious instrumental chops. But if we play at this tempo, visibly incorporate a banjo, and Kristin hits the vocal, I think it could work. Someday.

Jeroen
    edited August 8

@Steve_B said:

@Vastmind said:

Hey Lady! How ARE you!?

I don’t post much here these days, but I do drop in, have a look around, see how people are doing.

And we musicians love it when people get up and dance!

I’m doing pretty good right now. Work is smooth…and play is fun. 😁
    I’ve seen you lurking around…don’t be a stranger!

For those that don’t know… Steve is A+ ….
    Several years ago….He showed me kindness and help when I needed it.. I’ll never forget that! 🙏
    You let me know if I can assist with the gettin’ of that there banjo. 🤠 I mean it.

lobsterSteve_B
    edited August 29

My latest ‘hobby’ will be moving to
    https://.signal.org

Basically it is a secure form of decentralised communication, starting with phones.
    I have it running on my phone
    Then put it on my Ipad and Linux desktop

At the moment it is generating a lot of interest in certain snobby areas of society.
    Techies, politicians, journalists, military and activists who require secure coms.

However increasingly it is used by those wishing to be free of data-mining and ads. That is my sort of interest…

Vastmind

My cousin is a big Signal fan, he is on it ever since WhatsApp was bought by Meta.

lobster
    edited August 30

This past week Aleena and I went down to Chattanooga to visit the aquarium and take a sunset river cruise, so on our way back, I said let’s swing thru Nashville, they have a Lego store there!
    Yay me! I wanted my Lego passport stamped. Yes, it’s a thing. 😁

Steve_Blobster

If you’re ever in London Vastmind, I recommend Hamley’s, billed as the finest toy shop in the world. They have a huge store there, and the Forbidden Planet (worlds best sci fi bookstore and hobbyist place) is just a gentle stroll down Oxford Street away if memory serves me right…

Vastmindmarcitko
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 1

Okay, this might be a little embarrassing, but my whole life I've loved dancing. In 3rd grade we'd have break time where the teacher would play Kool and the Gang and I earned the moniker "swivel hips".

Anyway, my work keeps me in fairly good shape but I don't really get much cardio. About a year ago I thought I should do a little on the weekend when I'm generally trying to rest and recover my body from the week, just like 5 or 10 minutes 2x a week so it takes a while to learn a dance. YouTube happened to recommend a dance tutorial for the dance from Napolean Dynamite. So I decided to learn it. She has several others that I want to do. So far I've also learned the John Travolta dance from Saturday Night Fever, learned Uptown Funk from another tutorial and am currently trying to learn Beyonce's Texas Hold 'Em. Thriller is on the to do list.

Last Thanksgivmas I did the Napolean Dynamite dance in front of my extended family, 30 or so people. I probably get this from my dad, but I don't mind that much making a fool of myself in front of others when its a generally supportive crowd.

Texas Hold 'Em short
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/g3Wx1u2gimY

Here's the YouTuber

lobsterVastmindJeffrey

Yaaaaaassss!! I love dancing too!

lobstermarcitko
  • Yipeee @person, that's cool!
    Advanced Buddhism: dance ("make a fool of yourself") in front of an UNsupportive crowd :)

lobster

Okay, this might be a little embarrassing

Bravo! Anything that is embarrassing suits me.
    I was hopeless at Aerobics, Margaret Morris Dancing and being John Travolta.

My latest hobby is using The Matrix
    https://matrix.org/
    I have the name @cructacean:matrix.org
    and I am about... but as usual an embarrassing beginner :3