Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Family dinner time

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Things been a little heavy around here in our virtual Sanga. That means it’s time to break bread.
Welcome to our virtual potluck. 🍽️🥣🍶🫖
Pull up your chair and grab a virtual plate. What will you be bringing? Please share a pic or a recipe.
I’ll start with a pass of an appetizer and a beverage.,

Veggie spring rolls

Citrus Ginger Spritzer

marcitkolobsterJeroenDagobahZenShoshin1Steve_B

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Thick Indian Carrot Soup

6 large carrots
    1 celery
    2 large onions
    1 sweet potato
    3 veggie stock cubes
    1 satchel of Indian spices
    1 150 ml packet of coconut milk
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 liter water

Peel the carrots and dice them. Chop the onions and the stem of the celery. Peel the sweet potato and dice it. Put the onions and the celery in the pan with the olive oil and fry on high heat for 3 minutes. Add the water, diced carrots and diced sweet potato and stock cubes. Bring to the boil, cover and let cook for 20 minutes. Purée with a hand blender. Add the coconut milk and the spices. Serve.

Also delicious without the Indian spices!

lobsterVastmindDagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    edited August 2

1 satchel of Indian spices

Perhaps a sachet is sufficient? :o

I’ll bring the poison… well decaff Jaffna spiced coffee, made with Thames water and Mahakala in attendance o:)
    Here is how to make it
    You should know most seeds. The first are coriander. Sorry video is in Tamil or Singhalese (see next post). You can get ready-made powder in Tamil stores or on the interweb... if so inclined...

VastmindDagobahZen
    edited August 2

• marcitkomarcitko Veteran

I'll bring a smoothie.

Any fruits are excellent, bananas a must, berries the best, frozen ones are surprisingly cheap.

Best veggies to add:

• Beets (tastes surprisingly good in a smoothie and is healthy)
    • Spinach/Mangel (leafy green)

For lazy breakfasters, add oatmeal for some carbs and/or yoghurt for a bit of protein too.

VastmindDagobahZenSteve_Blobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Didn’t know you spoke “Tamil or Sinhalese” @lobster…

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm making lasagna for a family getaway, I'll make a second batch for here.

https://www.thewholesomedish.com/the-best-classic-lasagna/

VastmindDagobahZen

@Jeroen said:
    Didn’t know you spoke “Tamil or Sinhalese” @lobster…

I barely speak inglish ...
    Gibberish I iz fluent in.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Years ago when my son was in Boy Scouts we had a very active troop with a weekend camping trip at least once a month. Most of these were our own troop with maybe a dozen or so boys on each trip, and very informal. But each winter we participated in the regional Klondike snow camp, a very large and well organized winter camp for all the troops in the region. On the last full day in camp there would be a Suicide Stew. About mid day we’d start a very large cauldron of boiling water. Every troop would bring ingredients to dump in. Ingredients could be anything you might put in a stew. Only rules were nonspicy, and everyone had to participate. There was deliberately no coordination or communication about each troop’s ingredients. At the end of the day we’d all dine together.

Great memories.

Shoshin1Vastmindlobster

@Jeroen said:
    Thick Indian Carrot Soup

Made this tonight, it was yum. It’s enough for a few days too.

Vastmindlobster

here is the history of recent food trends, might be why family home cooked meals are usually healthier...
    https://www.nesta.org.uk/data-visualisation-and-interactive/consuming-history-three-decades-of-change-in-how-and-what-we-eat/

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 22

Hi everyone…I know dinner is finished, but I think I’ll just sit for a few minutes after the table is cleared…maybe put my elbow up on it and sip on a nice, little glass of amaretto. …* sigh *.