Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did the present already start?

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited 5:40AM in Philosophy

How long is the present moment? When does it start and when does it end?

If I am to be in the present and not live in the past or in the future…how do I measure that?.. If it is continuous moments…how would I be in just one?

Fosdickperson

Comments

• marcitkomarcitko Veteran

Think you missed it @Vastmind, it was earlier today. Better luck next time!

JeroenVastmindpersonlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You can think of it as a wave which is always transforming the future into the past, and the only place that is real on the entire wave is the leading edge where the transformation happens. The closer you can get to that edge, the more present you are…

personlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited 7:32AM

How long is the past, or future? When do they start and when do they end?
    If I am to be in the present between two unmeasurable states, how is that measurable?

Maybe being present just describes a measurer no longer bound by measures.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Experimentation is called for. I propose a momentary length of two seconds, the first of which being the present moment itself, and the second being the transitional period going into the next moment.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited 12:27PM

I generally view it as a workable chunk of time…like a day. I can work with that. Enough hours have gone by for reflection, right, right now can call for a pivot …..or pure joy in a tearful laugh or feeling my heart sink…., and maybe after lunch, I’m hoping my memory will serve me enough to activate some mindfulness one way or another. Can’t go back on yesterday, and no one is promised tomorrow.

It’s all just a New York minute, ain’t it?

AFA it being defined by not being measurable…I would argue that refutes impermanence. I’ve already predetermined and accepted the theory that nothing lasts forever and is subject to change, therefore expecting an ending/change and maybe preparing for it. Practice, practice paying attention leads to it happening more naturally.

Perhaps..”being” in the moment is when I go from brain to mind ……..(HERE)..…. back to brain…. and that time frame can vary.

edited 11:51AM

@Jeroen said:
    You can think of it as a wave which is always transforming the future into the past, and the only place that is real on the entire wave is the leading edge where the transformation happens. The closer you can get to that edge, the more present you are…

I can…in part…the wave is a good descriptor for the transition of the moments…… Question…what do you practice that gets you closer to that edge? How do you know you are approaching or on the edge.

@marcitko said:
    Think you missed it @Vastmind, it was earlier today. Better luck next time!

Can I get an ETA?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Fun fact. The faster one moves through space, the slower they move through time. That difference is imperceptible to us at our scales of movement. For a photon, moving at the speed of light though, time does not pass. It is always just now. The light from that star you're looking at that took 100s of years to get here, to the photon it just left, or it never left, or something.

The present can only be experienced. Trying to conceptualize it is like trying to grab water, it just slips out of your fingers. I've had fun in the past trying to work it out, but I've forgotten all the stuff.

Vastmindlobster

^^^ I like that post. Yeah, I don’t know what it says about me, but sitting around on the porch, chewing the cud can be fun sometimes, hahaha. I too usually forget about it…until it’s 2 am and I don’t. 🤪

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited 2:21PM

@Vastmind said:

@Jeroen said:

I can…in part…the wave is a good descriptor for the transition of the moments…… Question…what do you practice that gets you closer to that edge? How do you know you are approaching or on the edge.

Here’s something more true: there is no way to get away from the edge of the wavefront. All you can do is be aware of it, or not. If you direct your awareness into your memory, you will be dreamily bringing moments from the past to your minds eye, which is in the present. But if you choose to direct your awareness to your senses, you can become more aware of the here and now. The mind tries to distract you, the more quiet it is, the more you see.

edited 2:52PM

More true than what?

You didn’t answer my questions…you just gave me more advice/guidance. All I can do…if I direct my awareness..if I chose..etc.

I asked about what you do..how you approach it.

Well, I just focus on enjoying the quiet in my mind. I let thoughts come and go. I try to observe the world without judgment. And the present moment just is.

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    edited 5:03PM
    1. I don't approach it
    2. I don't leave it

The best we might say, it is attention devoid of distraction (remember we are the distraction)

Oh look a day of distraction happiness
    https://guidedmeditationtips.com/a-secret-method-to-spend-a-happy-day/

Bonus Distraction:

Vastmind