Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should Cannabis (marijuana) be legalized?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Let me tell you my views as an ex- cannabis smoker and as an experienced schoolteacher. In this country 'skunk' smoking (an extremely strong hybrid of 'grass') is everywhere amongst the young and lighter varieties or resin with the old. Actually kids do go out and buy heroin whether its legal or not - and in today's society in the west most of them do the opposite of what their parents advise, they follow their peer group.I know this from teenagers I've counselled on a one-to -one basis regarding various problems and also from talking to the children of friends who are good,caring parents.
    Smoking cannabis,taking drugs, drinking alcohol are unnecessary and potentially harmful pursuits (and not recommended by Buddha)

The fact that cannabis is a plant is irrelevent, there are also various plants which contain lethal poisons which we wouldn't want to grow around our children either.
    Relaxing the cannabis laws in this country (as well as the creation of all-night drinking laws) has meant that here in the city young kids are reeling about smashed out of their heads on skunk and cheap alcohol on a daily basis and many young people at weekends are often rowdy and vomiting on the streets and buses regularly because of the extended drinking laws.
    No I'm not a right-wing prude, far from it, I'm speaking from my own experience and I'm just being realistic.

If cannabis is useful for MS in controlled dosages then it could be made availabe as tincture on prescription from a doctor.

im new here and had been in the shaows for a bit, let me say my spelling is bad as i was never in school, i tougth myself to read and write thats why i havnt done this befor:D anyway i live in east london and all around me r druges u name it there taking it and ther was a time in my life when i was tempted cannabis should be legalized as then we whould at least be able to stop all these young kids and i mean young,(one of my friends son was taking it he was 10 and getting it from a mate at school)i does so much damage to ther little brains.i just keep thinking that we r all going to have to deal with a hole genarayson of metal heath probles,anyway thats what i think and it does scare me so sorry again for the spelling i hope u understand what im trying to say :confused:

ps your all so loving and warm and gave me the corage to write:)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hi, newbee, and welcome to the site. It's lovely to meet you.

Just do the best you can with your spelling and we'll do our best to understand what you're saying. I understood your post quite well, by the way.

If you ever want a little help with your spelling, just PM me and I'd be glad to give you a hand. I've already got a couple of fun ideas that might help so let me know. :)
  • edited June 2009
    newbee wrote: »
    im new here and had been in the shaows for a bit, let me say my spelling is bad as i was never in school, i tougth myself to read and write thats why i havnt done this befor:D anyway i live in east london and all around me r druges u name it there taking it and ther was a time in my life when i was tempted cannabis should be legalized as then we whould at least be able to stop all these young kids and i mean young,(one of my friends son was taking it he was 10 and getting it from a mate at school)i does so much damage to ther little brains.i just keep thinking that we r all going to have to deal with a hole genarayson of metal heath probles,anyway thats what i think and it does scare me so sorry again for the spelling i hope u understand what im trying to say :confused:

ps your all so loving and warm and gave me the corage to write:)

Hi newbee,
    welcome on board. Don't worry about your spelling, it's the content of your posts that's important and I agree with your observations. I don't know where the answer lies. A lot of work needed by the powers that be to engage young people and reach out to them.
    I guess there will always be some who fall victim to drugs. Some people I knew went down badly after getting into drugs and they weren't deprived or from some estate, so it can get anyone.

Namaste

PS. something about it here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/the_p_word/newsid_8084000/8084968.stm
  • edited June 2009
    how often do we waste time pondering hot button topics as opposed to watching to make sure the right buttons are being pushed?
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    The only actions that should be illegal are those that are intentional and harm others.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    TravisMago wrote: »
    The only actions that should be illegal are those that are intentional and harm others.

Hey Ya, TravisMago! Good to see you're joining us for discussions.

One implication of your above statement would be that legislators, judges, and governmental executives would be guilty of illegal acts every day, in that their decisions are intentional and do usually inflict harm on someone.

The problem with governmental decisions is that when the interests of one group are protected, the toes of all the others are usually stepped on. By very definition, if one wins everyone else loses.

I don't know what you mean, though, in another sense, either. Are you saying that I can take substances that cloud my judgment and yet not be called to account for that act if harm to others occurs while I am under the influence? Should I not minimally be charged with careless disregard for the safety of others? To my way of thinking, that lack of good intent is intentional in the negative sense. In other words, negligence is intentional in that it shows complete lack of right intent. I think that there is some danger here that intent might sometimes be confused with the will. Lack of proper caution and care doth not constitute lack of intent, but lack of Right Intent, IMNSHO.
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean, though, in another sense, either. Are you saying that I can take substances that cloud my judgment and yet not be called to account for that act if harm to others occurs while I am under the influence? Should I not minimally be charged with careless disregard for the safety of others? To my way of thinking, that lack of good intent is intentional in the negative sense. In other words, negligence is intentional in that it shows complete lack of right intent. I think that there is some danger here that intent might sometimes be confused with the will. Lack of proper caution and care doth not constitute lack of intent, but lack of Right Intent, IMNSHO.

A great point.

I do not believe in judging another person's intent - we are not in their shoes so we have no place saying if their intent is positive or negative. However, I believe we are right to judge if the intent to commit an action was there in the first place.

I believe in cause and effect. If the cause is intentional (taking the drug), and the effect harms another - then it should be legally wrong. But I believe in exceptions to rules, as well. I think that cases would have to be examined per each situation. It is important to understand if the effects actually resulted directly from the cause.

So to answer more directly:
    Are you saying that I can take substances that cloud my judgment and yet not be called to account for that act if harm to others occurs while I am under the influence

If the intent is to take the drug for it's effects, and it's effects lead to the harm of another - then the act should be illegal. We must learn to be accountable for our actions. Ignorance is not an excuse.

I believe that if legality was structured this way, there would be much less ignorance - it would be a necessity. We would all become more skillful.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2009
    TravisMago wrote: »
    If the intent is to take the drug for its effects, and its effects lead to the harm of another - then the act should be illegal. We must learn to be accountable for our actions. Ignorance is not an excuse.

So you seem to be saying, over the course of your several posts, that drug use should be illegal only after its use should it cause harm to others. Or perhaps you would even make that stronger and stipulate harm to self or others. I'll really have to think about that one a bit longer.

It seems, though, that laws could be reenacted to enable judges to dismiss cases wherein only small amounts of drugs were found and no reckless acts were alleged, as was once the case.

Oh how times have changed since the war on drugs campaigns started during the Reagan administration. I remember a job I once had and I was smoking Bidi cigarettes. Most people at work just assumed I was smoking pot. No problem! (Boston, late 1970s) :winkc: :winkc: :winkc: :winkc: :winkc: :winkc:

Ah, but the 70s were a very special time, from the time of the Nixon resignation to the inauguration of the Great Hoodwinker. The 70s were a second flowering of America, a time when the nation coasted blithely ever-forward from the victories achieved in 1945 and in the sixties.

The music from that time still moves my soul. ;):winkc:;):winkc:;):winkc: :rocker::om::rockon: :winkc: :winkc: :winkc:

It was truly a great time to be alive. Those born after 1980 are truly much poorer than those born in the 50s and 60s. We need the Age of Aquarius to visit us again.
  • edited July 2009
    Now you all know me guys - every damn thing to the nth degree ......... except when not allowed

Now I am an alcoholic that don't drink, a smoker that don't smoke ( hur something else I did while I was away) ......... I don't want to forbid anyone - I just want them to be free of it around me because I don't dig their stink. OK?
  • edited July 2009
    I agree that the problem is global and spiritual so it is hard to focus on the legality. People are going to get high and other people are going to make money off of that desperate desire. Heck, you can get high off of spices in your kitchen. Are we going to illegalize poppy seed or nutmeg because of their psychotropic qualities?

I've never really been tempted myself to abuse drugs. In fact, I'm allergic to pot (my throat closes up and everything). And I'm not in favor of people abusing any substance. But I think that partial tolerance can eliminate crime and also allow for better harm reduction, as in the Netherlands.

Pot is not legal in the Netherlands. The only drugs legal there technically are mushrooms and so-called "smart drugs." Pot is tolerated. You can get busted for selling pot on the streets there. But not for smoking in a shop. They've also just put a ban on smoking tobacco indoors. The model is harm reduction not moralism. And it seems to be more sane and realistic than our American "just say no" attitude.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    What do you mean it's not legal in the Netherlands? I beg to differ! Did you know the biggest hashish houses in Amsterdam are run by the police? They sell hash chocolates in candy stores, for goodness sakes!

The Dutch are very tolerant people. They also have a massive alcohol abuse problem.

Palzang
  • edited July 2009
    Yes, it is as if it were legal, but technically it is not. Only "herbals" including mushrooms are completely legal and sold in "smart shops." Of course there are plenty of "coffee shops" in the Netherlands where you can buy almost any flavor of cannabis, but technically (on the books) it is not considered a legalized drug.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited July 2009
    yes, but the netherlands did see a drop in violent crime related to the most popular drug being almost legalized. That's what I'm saying, is that yes, there are other problems that can arise from the abuse, but the bulk of people aren't going to become completely dependent on it, and making it illegal is just the kind of prohibitionism that gave rise to so many problems in the US in the '20s.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't approve of the use of drugs especially because of mental health issues, but I do think that looking to models such as the Netherlands is a good idea. They practice "harm reduction" instead of complete outlawing or abstinence models. That is just human and humane. And it does not only reduce crime; it reduces disease and in some cases addiction. People have managed to get off heroin by having access to clean needles and health care.
  • edited September 2009
    The short answer: Yes.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Yes. It should be legal and regulated just like alcohol is. The prohibition of marijuana has caused more harm than good.
  • edited September 2009
    I am ex super smoker.....wasn't legal where I am. but not frowned upon at all.
    I used to be soooo sooo pro-cannabis...

I have a friend that I look up to - my age.., smokes every 6 hours. He's seriously the smartest guy I've ever had contact with, a 'savant'......amazing logician, strategist..etc..a real athlete to, a fighter a natural born leader...ETC
    ... I'd let him preform brain surgery on me, if he just read how in a book 5 minutes ago.
    He smokes I believe to keep from getting annoyed at people and life..to keep his demons at bay. (SMOKING IS FOR HIM)

Then I have a friend that smokes his brains out and doesn't respond unless you address him twice...doesn't know where he is half the time...ETC
    (SMOKING IS NOT FOR HIM) unfortunately the average person is dumb as hell, irresponsible and smoking is not for them,

so the minority say "OHH HEY I CAN SMOKE and handle it legalize it!"
    ...well the rest can't so "NO LEGALIZE FOR YOU!!..."
  • edited November 2009
    Nice site. My first post. I've been smoking pot for a number of years now, just about every night. I find having a couple of joints over the evening is very relaxing. I've never had a problem with it, no health issues, no mental breakdowns or anything like that. In fact, I used to have a problem with recurring headaches which completely vanished once I started smoking the weed. But...

Since I've been practicing Buddhism I am now seriously considering stopping pot smoking because of the Buddha's words on intoxicants. And I totally understand why he said them. I find that while I'm high I have very little interest in meditation or studying or anything else like that. This is not good. I would find it very hard to believe that anyone who is a regular pot smoker is making much spiritual progress. If they are, they'd no doubt increase their progress exponentially if they kept a clear head.

Another problem is that my wife, who is not a Buddhist, smokes the weed even more than I do. It's not going to be easy abstaining while the smoke is permeating the air every night in our home. But I'll just have to be determined.

Another side note. My brother, who's been a paramedic for 20 years now, told me that he gets calls every night on alcohol related emergencies. But not once in his whole career has there been a pot smoking related emergency.

If the government finds a way to make lots of cash from legalizing pot, just like they have with alcohol and cigarettes, then it will probably one day be totally legal.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Great, just what our society needs: another form of escapism.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I use it less than once a year, but I find it very useful for my practice when I do. It makes me depressed, almost suicidally so.
  • edited November 2009
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Yes. It should be legal and regulated just like alcohol is. The prohibition of marijuana has caused more harm than good.

I absolutely agree--and I do not smoke (anything) and I don't drink.
  • edited November 2009
    Great, just what our society needs: another form of escapism.
    Nameless, the majority of marijuana users are not "escaping." THC is not powerful enough to even let someone escape, nor does it provide that kind of feeling. That kind of level of intensity is only found in uppers/downers which are the most commonly abused drugs. Furthermore, people who are wishing to escape their realities do not take drugs that enhance their senses.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Furthermore, people who are wishing to escape their realities do not take drugs that enhance their senses.
    Enhance? Pot should be legal because prohibition is a disaster, but pot is not consistant with Dharma practice. The only thing it inhances is fascination.
  • edited November 2009
    Wrong. You clearly have never smoked marijuana and are coming to conclusions based on your right-wing propaganda.

Smoking cannabis can enhance colors, sounds, smells, and even taste. Opiates, such as heroin, numb these feelings. It suppresses your central nervous system.
    edited November 2009
    My dear Sambodhi:lol: You are talking to a guy who has easily smoked your weight in pot. ha ha ha ha ha:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    edited November 2009
    :lol::lol::lol:
    edited November 2009
    seriously . if your serious about practice ...cut out the pot.
  • edited November 2009
    I don't use marijuana regularly. We're talking maybe 5 - 6 times a year. I've smoked plenty of pot, taken ecstasy, LSD, you name it. They have their pros and cons. But they don't belong in Buddhism.
    edited November 2009
    "But they don't belong in Buddhism" True.
  • edited November 2009
    Any of you read a book by Jack Herer called "The emperor wears no clothes"? In it he goes in to the history of hemp and cannabis law. It was a finable offence to not grow hemp for a long time and the fibres etc were used in the manufacture of a lot of things, rope, clothes, parachutes, to say nothing of the medicinal properties of the plant. Petro-Chemical companies had their noses put out of joint by this and lobbied all sorts of senators to make the thing illegal and it was a racist colour of prohibition, one example of which was that it could "cause a black man to look at a white woman with lust".

As for injesting cannabis for recreational purposes? As an occasional smoker my opinion may seem biased, however I believe it is up to an individual what they put into their body as long as it causes no harm to anyone else. This choice is removed entorely from people who chose to buy it in countries where it is illegal because production and distribution lie in the hands of gangsters and terrorists. I can tell you that in Northern Ireland, buying hash means putting bullets into paramilitary hands. If it were legalised then these organisations would have a major source of income removed.

From a buddhist perspective I don't think it is wrong as much as it is unskilful. Try meditating after a few hits and see what I mean.
    edited November 2009
    Any of you read a book by Jack Herer called "The emperor wears no clothes"? In it he goes in to the history of hemp and cannabis law. It was a finable offence to not grow hemp for a long time and the fibres etc were used in the manufacture of a lot of things, rope, clothes, parachutes, to say nothing of the medicinal properties of the plant. Petro-Chemical companies had their noses put out of joint by this and lobbied all sorts of senators to make the thing illegal and it was a racist colour of prohibition, one example of which was that it could "cause a black man to look at a white woman with lust".

As for injesting cannabis for recreational purposes? As an occasional smoker my opinion may seem biased, however I believe it is up to an individual what they put into their body as long as it causes no harm to anyone else. This choice is removed entorely from people who chose to buy it in countries where it is illegal because production and distribution lie in the hands of gangsters and terrorists. I can tell you that in Northern Ireland, buying hash means putting bullets into paramilitary hands. If it were legalised then these organisations would have a major source of income removed.

From a buddhist perspective I don't think it is wrong as much as it is unskilful. Try meditating after a few hits and see what I mean.
    Unskillful. Thats is a better way of putting it. Not conducive to laying down one's dreams and facinations.
  • edited November 2009
    Hemp, which contains little or no THC, is being classified as "marijuana" and as such is prohibited from being grown. :rolleyes: Now THAT is intelligent.
  • edited November 2009
    this happen with alcohol cigarettes and caffiene
  • edited November 2009
    For me, the marijuana is more harmful than many regard it to be.

Psychologically, it is more dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol.

For me, my former experiences with marijuana were quite positive (although I stopped using it when I was 21 years old due to discovering sexual morals).

However, for many, marijuana becomes very debilitating, resulting in strong loss of motivation, psychological dependency and eventually depression.

Marijuana is more harmful than many regard it to be.

it is definately no more dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol
  • edited November 2009
    For me, the marijuana is more harmful than many regard it to be.

Psychologically, it is more dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol.

For me, my former experiences with marijuana were quite positive (although I stopped using it when I was 21 years old due to discovering sexual morals).

However, for many, marijuana becomes very debilitating, resulting in strong loss of motivation, psychological dependency and eventually depression.

Marijuana is more harmful than many regard it to be.

It really isn't harmful. No toxic dose has ever been discovered. Nobody has ever died of using it.

Even if it WERE harmful--and I do think its use violates the precepts--that is irrelevant to legalization. It should be legal. Period.
  • edited November 2009
    it is definitely no more dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol

it is far less dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol. Thousands die of lung cancer every year and thousands die of alcohol poisoning. But nobody dies of marijuana.
  • edited November 2009
    MrsCogan wrote: »
    it is far less dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol. Thousands die of lung cancer every year and thousands die of alcohol poisoning. But nobody dies of marijuana.

I know this but he/she said that it waswww.medicalmj.org
  • edited November 2009
    <table id="facts" align="center"><tbody><tr><td align="left">Tobacco</td> <td align="right">435,000<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity</td> <td align="right">365,000<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Alcohol</td> <td align="right">85,000 <sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Microbial Agents</td> <td align="right">75,000<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Toxic Agents</td> <td align="right">55,000<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Motor Vehicle Crashes</td> <td align="right">26,347<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs</td> <td align="right">32,000<sup>2</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Suicide</td> <td align="right">30,622<sup>3</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Incidents Involving Firearms</td> <td align="right">29,000<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Homicide</td> <td align="right">20,308<sup>4</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Sexual Behaviors</td> <td align="right">20,000<sup>1</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect</td> <td align="right">17,000<sup>1, 5</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin</td> <td align="right">7,600<sup>6</sup></td> </tr> <tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td></tr><tr> <td align="left">Marijuana 0

(2000): "The leading causes of death in 2000 were tobacco (435,000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths), poor diet and physical inactivity (400,000 deaths; 16.6%), and alcohol consumption (85,000 deaths; 3.5%). Other actual causes of death were microbial agents (75,000), toxic agents (55,000), motor vehicle crashes (43,000), incidents involving firearms (29,000), sexual behaviors (20,000), and illicit use of drugs (17,000)."
    (Note: According to a correction published by the Journal on Jan. 19, 2005, "On page 1240, in Table 2, '400,000 (16.6)' deaths for 'poor diet and physical inactivity' in 2000 should be '365,000 (15.2).' A dagger symbol should be added to 'alcohol consumption' in the body of the table and a dagger footnote should be added with 'in 1990 data, deaths from alcohol-related crashes are included in alcohol consumption deaths, but not in motor vehicle deaths. In 2000 data, 16,653 deaths from alcohol-related crashes are included in both alcohol consumption and motor vehicle death categories." Source: Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 19, 2005, Vol. 293, No. 3, p. 298.)
    Source:
    Mokdad, Ali H., PhD, James S. Marks, MD, MPH, Donna F. Stroup, PhD, MSc, Julie L. Gerberding, MD, MPH, "Actual Causes of Death in the United States, 2000," Journal of the American Medical Association, March 10, 2004, Vol.
    </td> <td align="right">0<sup>7

</sup></td></tr></tbody></table>
  • edited November 2009
    By Marc Kaufman
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, May 26, 2006

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.
    The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.
    "We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."
    Federal health and drug enforcement officials have widely used Tashkin's previous work on marijuana to make the case that the drug is dangerous. Tashkin said that while he still believes marijuana is potentially harmful, its cancer-causing effects appear to be of less concern than previously thought.
    Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.
    Tashkin's study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.
    They were all asked about their lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest marijuana smokers had lighted up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 marijuana cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy marijuana smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.
    "This is the largest case-control study ever done, and everyone had to fill out a very extensive questionnaire about marijuana use," he said. "Bias can creep into any research, but we controlled for as many confounding factors as we could, and so I believe these results have real meaning."
    Tashkin's group at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA had hypothesized that marijuana would raise the risk of cancer on the basis of earlier small human studies, lab studies of animals, and the fact that marijuana users inhale more deeply and generally hold smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers -- exposing them to the dangerous chemicals for a longer time. In addition, Tashkin said, previous studies found that marijuana tar has 50 percent higher concentrations of chemicals linked to cancer than tobacco cigarette tar.
    While no association between marijuana smoking and cancer was found, the study findings, presented to the American Thoracic Society International Conference this week, did find a 20-fold increase in lung cancer among people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.
    The study was limited to people younger than 60 because those older than that were generally not exposed to marijuana in their youth, when it is most often tried.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html
  • edited November 2009
    Relative Addictive Properties of Various Commonly Used Drugs
    comparecht.gif
    Source: Dr. Jack E. Henningfield, Ph.D. for NIDA. Reported by: Philip J. Hilts, New York Times, Aug. 2, 1994 "Is Nicotine Addictive? It Depends on Whose Criteria You Use."
    Image courtesy of Drug War Facts.

http://www.medicalmj.org/
  • edited November 2009
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marijuana Not A Gateway To Hard Drug Use, Rand Study Says
    Conclusions Raise Serious Doubts Regarding The Legitimacy Of U.S. Drug Policy
    [/FONT]