Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do people have children?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I don't think having children is a biological need, it's more conditioned. Eating, drinking, breathing.. pooping etc. that's all what the body does. As far as getting your penis up monkey mind to makes up some weird concept about how the other gender looks good etc ass, tits.. without the concepts I don't think all this pointlessness, although peaceful pointlessness after you've "suffered" long enough, would go on.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    It's a question I ask frequently.

It would appear that population rates are going down in the West though. People are either becoming more globally conscious of having to feed extra mouths - or they like the childless life and the freedom it represents.

I used to think I don't like children.
    The far more accurate thing would be to say that I dislike a lot of children's behaviour in public, but the parents are the ones responsible.... I have a short fuse when it comes to badly behaved children, but I also have to stop myself grimacing when I see a pregnant woman, and I wonder "What the hell are you doing?!"

This is all hugely questionable, and perhaps even hypocritical.
    My eldest daughter is due to give birth to my first grandchild this month....
    I happen to know she will make an amazing mum, though.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    hahah.. yeah whenever I look at pregnant women or parents with little kids, I know that 99.9% of those people are still deluded and don't realize that their children are going to be flooded with baseless assumptions for a good 22 years of their life, to then waste their life as a slave to the division of labor most likely doing what they "don't like" to do.. it's a really horrendous suffering cycle.. being 20 years old and attending university myself i laugh as i do my coursework.. i suppose my path lies within the spread of mindfulness meditation. breeding humans into egoic suffering especially in the third world is a nightmare.. i constantly question it just like you, but then i understand why.. if only people questioned reality just a little bit more they'd see that their beliefs have no basis
  • edited March 2010
    Between the ages of 25 and 30, my wife went from disliking children to wanting one so bad that it was like a disease. I can't speak to the "ticking clock" phenomenon, not being female...

For myself, there were several motivations:

1)It sounded like a fun adventure for me and my wife to embark on. :rolleyes:
    2)The idea of being a teacher, of passing on knowledge, began to manifest in me in my late 20's and early 30's.
    3)It seemed clear that it would make my wife very happy.
    4)Our house was far too quiet with just the two of us.

Parenting can a true experiment in non-duality..it can suck, and then in an instant be transformed into the most awesome thing you've ever experienced.

I'm an unbelievably lucky guy..two daughters, healthy, beautiful, and much smarter than I am. I can't imagine my life without them.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm with you on this, ladies.

I think seeing a happy family is truly a wonderful thing.

However, I feel like I'm missing a gene or something when I watch women's reactions to babies. They really really LOVE babies. For them babies are the greatest thing ever.

I had a friend, in all sincerity, remark: "What woman in her twenties doesn't want a baby?" She said it in the same way I would say: "What person doesn't believe in gravity?"

I like babies, but I don't have that automatic gushing reaction to them. Am I broken? LOL
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Because of insecurity. I might be wrong though but I have noticed that people have children specifically to have someone to look after them when they are old.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    pearl wrote: »
    I'm with you on this.
    I think I'm missing a gene or something when I watch women's reactions to babies. They really LOVE babies. For them babies are the greatest thing ever. I had a friend, in all sincerity, remark: "What woman in her twenties doesn't want a baby?" She said it in the same way I would say: "What person doesn't believe in gravity?"

There are so many women in their 20s that don't want babies as I know including myself

I don't want a baby and I probably never will. But I like babies. Who wouldn't. They are too cute and cuddly :D
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    There seems to be a lot of generalizations going on in this thread. :wtf:
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of generalizations going on in this thread. :wtf:

lol.. all words are baseless generalizations who cares
  • edited March 2010
    There are certainly a lot of baseless words being spoken in this thread.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    There are certainly a lot of baseless words being spoken in this thread.

Including your ones? :lol:
  • edited March 2010
    Well sure. :)

But I've hurled no insults. So at least I've been baseless and in keeping with my interpretation of Right Speech.

I thought that this would have input from people of different walks of life, but it seems to be limited to a certain segment...so I'll depart. Cheers!
    Deshy wrote: »
    Including your ones? :lol:
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    ravkes wrote: »
    lol.. all words are baseless generalizations who cares

Right speech is part of the buddhist path.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Well sure. :)

But I've hurled no insults. So at least I've been baseless and in keeping with my interpretation of Right Speech.

I thought that this would have input from people of different walks of life, but it seems to be limited to a certain segment...so I'll depart. Cheers!

What are you talking about? :confused:
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    @Nios:

You're quite right on that one, however words are just concepts with no intrinsic value. Buddha's teaching in this respect was to watch your words for the people who are still deluded because they might attach meaning to them and suffer delusionally and I guess that makes sense, lawl. My bad, although you gotta admit.. that song is quite catchy. :)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Because of insecurity. I might be wrong though but I have noticed that people have children specifically to have someone to look after them when they are old.

Boy the joke is on them. Kids stay home for a long long time these days. It is more like having someone to take care of when they are old.:lol:
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Boy the joke is on them. Kids stay home for a long long time these days. It is more like having someone to take care of when they are old.:lol:

haha yup! i'm 20 and i commute from home and my sister is 25 and works and commutes too lmfao

although i do pay for my own tuition cause i'm a good kiddo :lol:
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Sorry ravkes but I completely dissagree. Whilst it's true that words have no value unless we place value in them, we must constantly practice right speech no matter who we are talking to. The teaching is right speech, no where does it say "right speech only when talking to certain people". The benefit of right speech is mainly for you, not just other people. :)
    If you don't believe me try using wrong speech when talking to a monastic and see how quickly you get thrown out of the temple. :lol:
  • edited March 2010
    Yet, one of the beautiful things about kids is that they represent their parents hope and trust in life. In other words, these parents trust the goodness of life enough to be willing to bring someone else into the world. I think this courageous.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Nios wrote:
    Sorry ravkes but I completely dissagree. Whilst it's true that words have no value unless we place value in them, we must constantly practice right speech no matter who we are talking to. The teaching is right speech, no where does it say "right speech only when talking to certain people". The benefit of right speech is mainly for you, not just other people.
    If you don't believe me try using wrong speech when talking to a monastic and see how quickly you get thrown out of the temple

Yes, that's why I deleted ravkes' post.

The other consideration is - and I bet it's one even very few Buddhists consider - is that in bringing a being into the world, you are heralding its death.

But then again, from a Buddhist PoV, isn't there the possibility of giving life to a reborn human, and perpetuating their opportunity of working through their Kamma....?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I don't know about you but where I was brought up in, kids may get married and leave home but they are always there for the parents when the parents need them. Kids are their support not only emotionally but financially too. The government doesn't support old people in my country. Parents' help is their kids. But I guess that can be different in different cultures
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I am approaching 30 :eek: and I am more torn on the subject than ever before. When I was younger I wanted to be a Dad more than anything. Kids can be a good teacher I suspect but the path isn't for everyone. My GF and I had a long talk about kids the other day and we decided if we are to have kids we need to start soon but she is just finishing her PHD and I still need to climb a few more big dangerous mountains and I wouldn't feel ok putting my life at risk if I have some little guy counting on me for survival. I do think that if I have a kid, I will need to have at least 2. Being an only child would suck.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Sorry ravkes but I completely dissagree. Whilst it's true that words have no value unless we place value in them, we must constantly practice right speech no matter who we are talking to. The teaching is right speech, no where does it say "right speech only when talking to certain people". The benefit of right speech is mainly for you, not just other people. :)
    If you don't believe me try using wrong speech when talking to a monastic and see how quickly you get thrown out of the temple. :lol:

Yeah true. Gotta conform to protect your own well-being in this deluded society. 2500 years and it's still the same, Buddha was one smart cookie.
    edited March 2010
    Glad you got the point. Conformity with social accepted standards is the best way to go, here.....

Now, do you wish to continue the discussion regarding having children - or not?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Buddha was one smart cookie.

Indeed he was. Just remember, everything in the 8fold path benefits you. From there it radiates out and benefits others. Practice makes perfect :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I am approaching 30 :eek: and I am more torn on the subject than ever before. When I was younger I wanted to be a Dad more than anything. Kids can be a good teacher I suspect but the path isn't for everyone. My GF and I had a long talk about kids the other day and we decided if we are to have kids we need to start soon but she is just finishing her PHD and I still need to climb a few more big dangerous mountains and I wouldn't feel ok putting my life at risk if I have some little guy counting on me for survival. I do think that if I have a kid, I will need to have at least 2. Being an only child would suck.

For a long time I didn't want children. I was accutely aware that by bringing a life into this world, I would be causing that life to suffer (birth, sickness, teens :p, aging and death) it wasn't until my brother had 2 kids that I started to warm to the idea.
    I now want kids but I am still worried about the future.
    followthepath
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I think most of us have kids because of some kind of self interest... I mean generally speaking. For past time? For fun? For security? Because you love kids? To make the family complete? For a beautiful meaningful life?

Blah ...
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Glad you got the point. Conformity with social accepted standards is the best way to go, here.....

Now, do you wish to continue the discussion regarding having children - or not?

You guys can, I think I've spoken a little too much and got my "point" across lol. Just had to wear my monkey mind out. Sometimes I get caught in it's reverie and post threads on here. Thanks for dealing with the little bugger :lol:
    edited March 2010
    I don't know about you but where I was brought up in, kids may get married and leave home but they are always there for the parents when the parents need them. Kids are their support not only emotionally but financially too. The government doesn't support old people in my country. Parents' help is their kids. But I guess that can be different in different cultures

It is so different, that is true. Being from Canada, the government takes on a good share of the load and I hadn't thought of that. Here, we do tend to shelter people which is good and kind which alleviates suffering, but we also stifle their growth which contributes to suffering. That is not to say things cannot change, but things have been this way for a long time. There is a lot of value in the way you do things there.
    edited March 2010
    I happen to believe that for a huge amount of people, it's all got to do with what's expected of them.... I actually remember during my wedding reception, people asking me if we were going to start a family..... and me still in my frock!
    Then, when I was in hospital with my firstborn (about three days old, she was!) someone came in to talk about contraception after pregnancy...unless of course, I would be planning to conceive - was I thinking of having more children?!

Gimme a break!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    To me, the main benefit of having children is to give them the opportunity for a precious human birth, i.e., the chance to hear the Dharma and accomplish it. Only as a human do beings have that opportunity.

Palzang
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It is so different, that is true. Being from Canada, the government takes on a good share of the load and I hadn't thought of that. Here, we do tend to shelter people which is good and kind which alleviates suffering, but we also stifle their growth which contributes to suffering. That is not to say things cannot change, but things have been this way for a long time. There is a lot of value in the way you do things there.

I like Canada. Wanted to migrate sometimes back but then my sister ended up in the states so I gave up the idea of leaving my mum who by the way is dependent on me financially. I like to support her. She did the same to me when I needed it. :)
    edited March 2010
    For a long time I didn't want children. I was accutely aware that by bringing a life into this world, I would be causing that life to suffer (birth, sickness, teens :p, aging and death) it wasn't until my brother had 2 kids that I started to warm to the idea.
    I now want kids but I am still worried about the future.

If human life is one of the best ways to achieve Nibbana, couldn't having a child or too and teaching them the buddha dharma be an act of compassion. (Just don't go overboard like the some religous fanatics and think it is your duty to have as many kids as possible.)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    To me, the main benefit of having children is to give them the opportunity for a precious human birth, i.e., the chance to hear the Dharma and accomplish it. Only as a human do beings have that opportunity.

Palzang

Probably the only selfless reason to give birth I have heard so far
    edited March 2010
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

Palzang had my words as I was writing them only more precise. I wish this had a like button like on facebook.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    But who wouldn't love kids. Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6PNps5N9I&feature=grec

awwww... too cute Lol
  • edited March 2010
    I'm confused too, Quiet Witness.

I grew up poor, and I fixed this idea in my head that I would wouldn't have kids until I had the nice house, grassy backyard, golden lab, and the time to bake homemade apple pies with them. It's a total cliche, but it's what I believed.

Now, I not sure if all that is necessary. What do kids truly need to be happy and healthy?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I happen to believe that for a huge amount of people, it's all got to do with what's expected of them.... I actually remember during my wedding reception, people asking me if we were going to start a family..... and me still in my frock!
    Then, when I was in hospital with my firstborn (about three days old, she was!) someone came in to talk about contraception after pregnancy...unless of course, I would be planning to conceive - was I thinking of having more children?!

Gimme a break!!

My wife is Filipino (you know, you've met :p but others haven't) and, I'm not sure if it's all Filipinos or just her area but her family assumed we were expecting when we anounced our engagement! :eek: Then, after we got married they asked "are you pregnant now?" When we said "no" they replied, "oh? why not, is there a problem?" :eek:
    Cultures are a funny thing :p
    followthepath
  • edited March 2010
    pearl wrote: »
    Now, I not sure if all that is necessary. What do kids truly need to be happy and healthy?

Okay, I'm back in.
    To answer the question, IMO, attentive, nurturing parents. Wealth has little to do with it. My wife and I have wealthy friends who hardly see their kids, and it's been a disaster.
    edited March 2010
    I believe there are people, even people who do not live the Dharma, who have noble motives for bringing children into the world. Many have a desire to nurture and give their love. Many want their children to not only be happy in their own lives, but also make the world a better place. Many have hopes that their children will be able to contribute more, than they were able to give.

Without people like this, where do the Buddha's come from, or the Gandhi's, or the Mother Theresa's?

Yes, great people can come from negative backgrounds with unloving parents but one can't deny many also come from loving parents who hold out hope for the world. Hold out hope for a world with less suffering. Hold out hope that the world can be a better place.

People are capable of acts of great love, sacrifice and kindness. Even through the act of bringing children into the world, this greatness is possible.
  • edited March 2010
    For you guys who have kids, how did you plan for it?

For example, did you decide one parent would stay home?

Thanks
  • edited March 2010
    My wife stayed at home until both of our kids were in primary school. (not a sexist thing, I made 3X what she made as a social worker, so it just make fiscal sense) Now she works part-time on a schedule that allows her to be available once the kids are out of school.

You can do a certain amount of planning...but having kids is not a terribly predictable thing. What works for someone else may not for you, you may have a special-needs child, your kids get sick...Life happens.

I've found the family experience to be good for my practice. It's easy to be mindful in a quiet house by yourself, or with a somewhat quiet spouse. You learn a lot more about yourself as you try to be mindful in a room with 2 loud, energetic young children and a lab puppy. :)
    edited March 2010
    I had my first child, then decided that I hated being dependent on my husband for everything, and considered that having a childminder for my daughter was ok, because I would be earning money, and she would be with other kids....

As it turned out, for me personally, it didn't work. She wasn't happy, and I was giving every penny I earnt, to the childminder, so it was pointless.
    However, (and I realise it's not always this easy) my husband earnt enough, fortunately, for me to be a stay-at-home mum.
    It was the best decision I could make. When my daughter began school, it became easier for me to get a part-time job.

I want to emphasise here, that this is just my opinion, but having tried both options, I am of the opinion that, if you're going to have to work, or go back to work, after you've had children - then you shouldn't have children in the first place. I truly believe children benefit more from having at least one, present and attentive parent, rather than finding themselves being transported to childminders at ungodly hours of the morning, because mummy and daddy have important careers.
    I just think having children is more important than working, and goodness knows in these uncertain economically unstable times, people should consider very carefully, whether to have a family whilst they also need a job.
    It's true - people with wealth don't necessarily make the best parents, but by the same token, people who work, with children, who don't parent - are equally as bad.
  • edited March 2010
    The other consideration is - and I bet it's one even very few Buddhists consider - is that in bringing a being into the world, you are heralding its death.

Can I quote that in the future, friend?
    edited March 2010
    You're welcome to...... :)
    edited March 2010
    There is a can of worms you may not have wanted to open Frederica.;)

Although I spoke about noble underpinnings for some, I am afraid I cannot claim the same. I fathered twins and they were an accident. Planning was quite possibly the last thing on my mind at the time.

Having said that, they have brought much into my life and I cherish them dearly. They have helped me grow up in many ways. They sure do have a way of taking over your life, of that I can assure you.

Much of my life happened moment to moment and spontaneously. I think I brought my kids up that way too.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I don't think having children is a biological need, it's more conditioned. Eating, drinking, breathing.. pooping etc. that's all what the body does. As far as getting your penis up monkey mind to makes up some weird concept about how the other gender looks good etc ass, tits.. without the concepts I don't think all this pointlessness, although peaceful pointlessness after you've "suffered" long enough, would go on.
    Your view is very valid however also very male.

Often, male sexuality is just that - conceptual & voyeuristic.

When a man can sort out his views about sex, his mind & behaviour (& samadhi) can change alot.

But, in my view, the female sexuality is more biological than conceptual.

Look at the animal kingdom. Sexuality generally does not arise until the female is on heat.

And that heat is very hot and generally the female becomes mentally delirious.

Mother nature has been doing her thing for eternity, even before 'conceptualisation' was invented.

Try to look more functionally at the tits, ass, etc.

Do you look at breasts scientificially as lumps of tissue & skin, full of fat, liquids, sweat & blood, which serve the purpose of breast feeding?

Or do you look at them like advertising?

:)

The mother then carries the embryo in her womb for nine or ten months with much anxiety, as a heavy burden. Then, at the end of nine or ten months, the mother gives birth with much anxiety, as a heavy burden. Then, when the child is born, she nourishes it with her own blood; for the mother’s breast-milk is called blood in the Noble One’s (ariya) training.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    male sexuality is just that - conceptual & voyeuristic.
    female sexuality is more biological than conceptual.
    Sexuality generally does not arise until the female is on heat. And that heat is very hot and generally the female becomes mentally delirious.

So you are saying that males are all reason but nature made women heat driven lunatics? LOL I can see the pitchforks on the horizon. Somebody go grab me some popcorn this thread is about to get interesting.

stock-photo-fat-young-woman-eating-popcorn-young-woman-eating-popcorn-38592664.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Generally, without children, human beings would not mature very much.

Children give maturity, purpose and the natural situation for compassion & selflessness.

edited March 2010
    So you are saying that males are all reason but nature made women heat driven lunatics?
    No. I said what I said rather than your discursive inferences.

Males are generally devoid of reason & replete with ignorance.

Women by nature generally have alot of reason (wisdom) but also have alot of biological pressure.

BTW. Try avoiding words like "all" and try understanding words like "generally".
    edited March 2010
    No. I said what I said rather than your discursive inferences.

Males are generally devoid of reason & replete with ignorance.

Women by nature generally have alot of reason (wisdom) but also have alot of biological pressure.

BTW. Try avoiding words like "all" and try understanding words like "generally".

When did it become ok to make trite and unsubstantiated claims just because you throw in the word general.

Generally, generalities are mute points.