Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Santiago, thanks so much for letting me know that you can relate. It's a tough journey, but a necessary one, and each step forward builds a strong base of self-love.

I love your screenname; have you ever read a book called Living In the Light by Shakti Gawain? I think it'd be a great one for you. All about the light within :)

A tough journey indeed but in my case, there is no other choice. Either I wake up, or live my life in a half-asleep state and watch it continue to slip by my fingers.

Your screenname is pretty cool too. I've never read that book, but it sounds interesting and I'll keep it in mind in case I can order books from the US again soon.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi my name is Ella and am looking into Buddhism as i wanted to learn more about Buddha and Buddhism
  • edited May 2010
    Hello everyone.
    My name is Hilary, and I have been lurking around the site for a little while. Thought I'd introduce myself since I feel like I get a lot of good advice here and I'm sure I'll be around more often as time goes on.
    I was interested in Buddhism in high school, but I never put too much time or effort into learning more. Last month I started looking into it again, and everything just clicked.
    I have never once found a religion or philosophy that didn't have at least one point I disagreed with. Everything is different now. It's like a veil was lifted and I can the world in color for the first time. That sounds a little cliche...but oh well.
    I'm learning more everyday, and I have this wonderful feeling that there is no going back. Does that make any sense?
    I am going to visit a meditation center this weekend for the first time. I can't wait!
    I'm a newbie, but I've found my path.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Ella and Hilary :wavey: Enjoy the forum :D

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    hmathieu wrote: »
    It's like a veil was lifted and I can the world in color for the first time. That sounds a little cliche...but oh well.

It does not, it's both clear and direct. It is always a joy to read words from someone who is finding deeper meaning in their life, thank you for sharing.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    Hi all
    <o></o>
    I’ve been lurking for the last couple of days and thought I’d introduce myself. First off let me say I’m not a Buddhist, yet anyway. I was raised Roman Catholic, 12 years of catholic school, alter boy etc etc. I can probably count on my hands the amount of times I’ve been back to a church since I graduated high school in 1970. In my experience what they taught and what they did were polar opposites. Not trying to offend anyone’s beliefs, just my personal experience. I’ve read about other religions, Christian, Jewish and Muslim. They all have the same premise, we are the one, true, belief and through us is the only way to earn salvation. I just didn’t buy into any of it.

I’ve been married for the last 32 years. My wife and three grown children have been my life. I always played by the rules, took care of my family first and tried to live the best I could. I guess all of that catholic school tuition my parents paid wasn’t wasted after all. It hasn’t been enough though. There is and always has been an emptiness inside of me that I can’t explain. The only time I’m really at peace with myself is when I’m in the middle of nature whether it’s in a forest, on a deserted coastline, or just walking through a field. Ironically where I discovered the comfort of nature was on training missions during my tour in the army.
    <o></o>
    I started reading on the internet last week about Buddha. I find the philosophy fascinating. I guess I’m just searching for the inner peace that has eluded me my entire life. Hopefully I’ll find it in this philosophy.
    edited May 2010
    Welcome to all of you guys. This forum will be a big help in your journey towards learning more about Buddhism and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    billw wrote: »
    I started reading on the internet last week about Buddha. I find the philosophy fascinating. I guess I’m just searching for the inner peace that has eluded me my entire life. Hopefully I’ll find it in this philosophy.

Welcome billw. The philosophy can certainly point you toward the way. Heck, inner peace might already be inside you and you just don't know it yet. :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    Quick question about posting. I wrote my intro in a word document, copied and pasted it. I previewed it before I hit the submit button. There weren't any smiley's on it then. What caused them to be inserted in my text?

I figured out how to edit and delete them. Thanks for the welcome.
    edited May 2010
    Welcome billw :wavey: enjoy the forum! :D

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Ugh! How could I have missed this thread! I'm Brenda aka Coco and I started to study Buddhism as it seems to be a superior thought, peaceful and though I am only half through the Pali Canon anthology, I get a sense that my brain has a lot of work ahead, stretching muscles that have never been stretched.

This morning, as I was driving to work, I thought that it might actually be possible for me to one day see the forest despite the trees.

Right now I think I am over read and over thought. :o

I do more lurking here than participating in hopes of having some elementary questions addressed before I post redundant things.
    edited May 2010
    coco wrote: »
    This morning, as I was driving to work, I thought that it might actually be possible for me to one day see the forest despite the trees.

I have been feeling pretty hopeful of one day reaching a point where I feel more peaceful and calm and I start seeing things and myself more clearly.
    Right now I think I am over read and over thought.

I kind of suffer from information overload at times myself, specially when reading the multiple and varied opinions everyone around here has on the thread topics, but I try to only read what I can handle and digest, so it's not so bad.

Welcome to the forum Coco/Brenda. Is it "coco" after Conan O'Brien? or coconuts? or what? Just curious. Is this your nickname in real life? or is it just your screen name?
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you for your insight lightwithin. :)

Coco is a screen name only. When an elderly aunt was still alive, she had an old Poodle named Coco. When searching for a screen name I thought of that old Poodle for some reason.
    edited May 2010
    coco wrote: »
    Coco is a screen name only. When an elderly aunt was still alive, she had an old Poodle named Coco. When searching for a screen name I thought of that old Poodle for some reason.

That's funny cause I have a cousin who has a black lab named Coco too. And the even funni-ER thing is that I have this friend from Portugal, who told me the word "coco" means "poop" in Portuguese! LOL. Craziness.
  • edited May 2010
    Too funny. I have a black Lab. And I never knew that's what coco means in Portuguese! :lol:

Learn something new every day. :)
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hello all.... my name is Johnathan as I'm sure you all can guess from my username :-)

I've been a member of the site for nearly a month now so I thought I should formally introduce myself...

I am 34 and was raised Baptist (loosely... not really church going and not much done at home... they Baptized me as a baby... we went to church for a few years and that was it)... I'm just glad I didn't receive the full gamut of brainwashing many kids must endure... They did not force their beliefs on my brothers and I and allowed us to seek our own answers... although when I engaged in dialogue online with my father as an adult on beliefs he ridiculed my Atheism... Go figure...

I have been a care giver for the Intellectually Challenged for 12 years... And am in a job I can see myself retiring in...

Around 15 or 16 I began searching for answers of who I was and what i believed but never looked to Christianity for those answers as I'd already come to the conclusion that although it might have some merit it had to many contradictions and obvious falicies that I could not wrap my head around... So my searches led my to philosophy at first but soon moved into Taoism... Not much longer after that I discovered Buddhism as well... I have never been to focused on my spirituality so for the most part I read and new that what I was reading resonated much within me but cannot say I was practicing much...

I entered a series of relationships that i realize in hindsight I allowed my true nature to go by the way side and focused more on the person I was with...

Now an adult, married, two kids and having gone through a long period of feeling unsatisfied and having anger become an every day part of my life as my inner self was screaming to reassert itself... Finally a couple of months ago when I made this realization I began returning to my inner self, returned to my study of buddhism and Taoism, getting back into the gym and eating properly, rebuilding friendships that I'd for so long neglected, started a small discussion board called "My Sangha" and have started with a handfull of friends to begin discussing our spirituallity... I've returned to a focus on myself and my spiritual, mental and physical growth and through that development my external relationships will surely flourish.

I have been posting a bit and have enjoyed the level of response and insights I have gained already in such a short time here at newbuddhist.com, thank you all for making me feel at home...
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Coco, Johnathan and Ken

All the best
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    hmathieu wrote: »
    I'm learning more everyday, and I have this wonderful feeling that there is no going back.
    That feeling means more than you know, but not more than you will know. Life continues on, and if the conditions are just so, we can see how and also understand the source of our own dissatisfaction.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope that you find your answers.
  • edited May 2010
    billw wrote: »
    We are all searching for that peace, and to know the source of our discomfort is the start. The Buddhist path illuminates this; and it is more a representation of reality and the method whereby we may know these truths for ourselves than the word "philosophy" can cover. Think of it therefore as... a tool. One that is taken up while you need it, and put down when the job is done.

Welcome, and good luck.
  • edited May 2010
    It's very good to be here at last! I may be 'still seeking' but definitely getting warmer and warmer :)

I was born into a Roman Catholic family and often felt very constrained and frustrated with the teachings I had. I carried around an awful burden of guilt and unworthiness with me for many years and suffered periods of depression and very low self esteem. The way I've chosen to live my life in the last few years has (thankfully) gently pushed me down the Buddhist path - peace, mindfulness and loving kindness hold a lot of appeal for me after all that torment and guilt, and I'm now enjoying studying and searching for the tradition that will really resonate with me.

I look forward to learning from everyone here. Thank you for all the sharing, love and generosity that goes on here.
  • edited May 2010
    Welcome to the site.
    I have found the people to be very kind here.I hope all works out for you.
    Greetings from Holland;Eric.:)
  • edited May 2010
    hello!

my name is jonathan.....i'm 14.....i love the beatles, led zeppelin, the rolling stones, the adicts, iron cross, english dogs, mettalica, and new age music......poetry is my passion

i wish you all well :):):):):)

metta
    edited May 2010
    I love music and writing poetry!!! Welcome to the thread Jonathan :wavey:
    All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Hi, my name's Rachel. I live in Australia. I've gone back and forth between Buddhism for years now. I first found buddhism when I was going through a terrible time in my life and I find I always go back to it when times are tough. But just recently I've decided that it might be time to have it in my life all the time.
    I have one son and am currently studying at university. :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    G'day Rachel, Welcome to the forum!
    But just recently I've decided that it might be time to have it in my life all the time.

Sounds like a very wise decision!

With Metta,

Guy
  • edited May 2010
    thank you :)
  • edited May 2010
    and another thing, i'm probably not going to hold long conversations on someone else's thread as i don't know enough about buddhism.....but i will post one or two times
    edited May 2010
    and another thing, i'm probably not going to hold long conversations on someone else's thread as i don't know enough about buddhism.....but i will post one or two times

No worries about that. I don't hold long discussions with people here either, as I know nearly nothing just yet, but I still find the forums rewarding. Enjoy your stay!
  • edited May 2010
    Uh, hi! Lol. My names Kevin, I'm 17 years old and I want to become a (traditionalist) Catholic priest or monk. My interest in Buddhism stems way back to my childhood, since the time I encountered the mysterious Buddhist statues and philosophy in different movies and books. Now, as a staunch, traditionalist Catholic, my awed fascination with Buddhism has faded a bit, but my respect for it as a hallowed religion institution hasn't. My deep doctrinal and philosophical differences not-withstanding, I've come to see Buddhism as a valuable, formidible ally in the face of the growing threat of secularism and moral nihilism that is engulfing modern civilization. I've come here to deepen my knowledge of Buddhism's philosophy and metaphysics and to foster, as best as I can, an intellectual dialogue between Catholicism and Buddhism.

Pax Domini semper vobiscum,

Kevin M. Young
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    KM3Young wrote: »
    I've come here to deepen my knowledge of Buddhism's philosophy and metaphysics and to foster, as best as I can, an intellectual dialogue between Catholicism and Buddhism.

Pax Domini semper vobiscum,

Kevin M. Young

Then welcome. I'm sure you'll find many opportunities to discover and broaden your understandings.

Pax mentem semper vobiscum. :)

With warmth,

Matt
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Rachel and Kevin :wavey:
    I don't know much about Buddhism either but I'm always ready to natter away :D

All the best
    Jellybean
  • ListenListen New
    edited May 2010
    Hello all,

My name is Listen. I am an atheist and have been a non-believer since I started thinking about such things at around eight years old (to the dismay of my Jewish parents). I am now 32 and feel as though I've gone through an intense awakening over the past two years. Actually, I feel as though I've been in the process of awakening all my life, but the pace of my growth has accelerated more and more as I've approached the present.

As I say, I am an atheist and so I do not believe in reincarnation, nor do I believe in other types of supernatural phenomena. Nevertheless, I do believe that consciousness is a miracle and a mystery, and I have felt myself to be a spiritual creature for all of my life. I cannot deny the beauty of what I have seen and experienced firsthand. I also cannot deny that - despite thinking of myself as a smart, introspective, striving person - I still never fail to be smacked into place by the universe telling me that I am no one and that I know nothing still. Basically, I recognize that even though I understand so much more than I ever did before, and even though I want to be on the path, I am still quite far from the destination.

I recently read the book Confession of a Buddhist Atheist. While not an intro to Buddhism by any means (in fact it is a book about the author's exit from Buddhism), there were several tantalizing bits in it that resonated with me at the most profound level. It got me excited and interested. Since then, I've read a Kabat-Zinn book on mindfulness and have been practicing meditation and more general mindfulness daily - to undeniably astounding effect. My life has been improved in a matter of months.

I have much work to do on mindfulness, but I would also like to explore the other aspects of Buddhism, which brings me to this website. I hope to listen a lot and learn a lot, and even try to participate if I feel I have something to share.

Nice to meet you all and hope to talk soon.
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Listen :wavey: I hope you enjoy the forum, I have quite similar views to you. It's great that your development is accelerating :) Hope to see you around :D

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Hello everybody! I'm Zachaa and I'm learning :) I was born into a Catholic family... got baptized and my First Holy Communion but after that my mom drifted away from Catholicism and I've been atheist ever since. Science is my truth. I discovered Buddhism one fateful night wandering around in the university library with nothing to do between classes, so I just randomly chose a shelf and picked out a few books. One of them was How To Practice by the Dalai Lama. I ended up checking that one out... and later on purchased it. I haven't traveled much farther since, but I am definitely interested! I felt so warmed and welcomed by his curiosity and view of science that it drew me in!

Right now seems to be a good time to get my feet wet, as my life is changing in several ways, all at once. I will be married to my best friend this summer, we are going to purchase a home soon after (we are currently sharing an apartment) and I have just been laid off from my job as a sixth grade science teacher. Change all around!

I am very interested in finding peace of mind and practicing while teaching- if there are any teachers on the boards here I would love some advice! I am taking a year off to study to add on a math credential to make myself more marketable, but after that the plan is to get back into teaching (assuming, of course, anybody is actually hiring at that time...). Otherwise, I am looking forward to intelligent and respectful conversation! Hopefully I will come out of my shell and actually post stuff :) Hope to "see" you around!

Zachaa
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Zachaa :wavey: I hope you enjoy the forum and I hope to "see" you around LOL :D
    Oh, and a science teacher you say :D? Science is my favourite subject and I want to be an ecologist or something similar!

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Hello Listen, thank you for an amazing introduction.
    Hi Zachaa :)
  • edited May 2010
    Name: Daniel
    Sign: Aries
    Hair: Blonde
    Eyes: Light Blue
    Height: 172cm
    Weight: 67 kg
    Born: West Bromwich, England , UK
    Live: Birth place.
    Favorite book: To Kill A Mockingbird
    Favorite band: Band Of Horses
    Favorite food: Spaghetti Bolognese
    Favorite movie: Last Samurai , Troy , 300
    Favorite colour: Blue

I have just recently become interested in Buddhism and I have joined this website to hopefully find out more.
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Daniel :wavey:

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Hello. I am a 32 yr old female.
    I was raised without religion but was told that God was real and he was watching so I better be good. That's it. NO more direction then that.

A few years ago I read the secret and that lead me to reading so much more.
    Finally reading the Tao. I'm currently reading The teaching of Buddha and I can't not tell you how it is changing my life. It's as if someone turned the lights on. I came here seeking like minded people who can support me on my journey and hopefully answer questions as they come up.

I am pleased to be here and looking forward to getting to know you.
    Namaste
  • edited May 2010
    Hi DanceingLodus and welcome to this forum.

It's funny about religion, I too was raised catholic but never believed in an external god etc...

Finally after a life time of thinking about it, I'm now firmly comitted to learning and following The Buddha's teachings.

Well it turns out that about a week ago, I re-united with my very best friend after 21 years, and while he now follows a form of very open minded Christianity, it turns out that we are on very similar paths, use the same ideas and concepts which simply fall under different labels. Before this I never would have entertained the idea of an open discussion with someone that follows Christianity.

It reminds me of the saying that all roads lead to the same destination, And in this particular case it's oh so very true. The key for both of us is that we are actively WORKING on what we believe and putting our efforts into being the best people that we can.

If you want to read my story, you can find it at http://ivanolarte.com/2010/05/10/positive-karma-in-action/ I think you might find it interesting.

In any case, ultimately for us, it's not the particular path that is important but the sincerity, dedication and Action that is making things clearer and better for both of us.

I wish you peace and happiness on your journey.

Ivan
    edited May 2010
    Hi DanceingLodus :wavey:
    My friends (very annoyingly) hate Christianity because I dislike aspects of what it was like 1000 years ago! Them forgetting my own faith in a broken off branch of the Christian tree...
  • edited May 2010
    Flower Child
    Name: Tara
    Sign: Cancer
    Hair: dark brown
    Eyes: Green
    Height: 5"4"
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Born: Spar wood. B.C .Canada
    Live: Nova Scotia Canada
    Favorite book: Tuesdays with morrie
    Favorite band: I enjoy all music that involves talent
    Favorite food: home made Bread
    Favorite movie: Now and then, planet earth or anything with the Muppets
    Favorite color: Green.

I'm New to this whole thing so please bare with me
    I joined because.....well to be truthfully this really good looking guy told me about this site. We had a conversation about the Buddhist life, in which I told him I was wanting to learn more about it. He then pointed me in this direction.
    I love getting peoples insight on topics.
    so I thought what the heck why not expand on my horizon.
    if we do not learn, we do not grow!!!
    edited May 2010
    Welcome everyone. I hope you enjoy your visits to the forum, no matter what the reason was you ended up here.
  • edited May 2010
    Never been good at introductions, but I just thought I'd stop by and say "hi" before I start posting out of the blue. I'm Martin, a 16-year-old from Dublin, Ireland. I joined as I'm currently looking up Eastern religions (mostly the likes of Jainism, Hinduism and of course, Buddhism) and on a search for some form of spiritual hope at the moment. What I'm most attracted to at the moment is Nichiren Buddhism. Hope to stay around here for a while to learn a lot more about Buddhism!
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Tara and Martin, enjoy the forum :wavey:

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I joined because.....well to be truthfully this really good looking guy told me about this site. We had a conversation about the Buddhist life, in which I told him I was wanting to learn more about it. He then pointed me in this direction.

;)
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Ruthy :wavey:

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Hi. I'm joining the forum, because there's not much of a buddhist community is Thelma, TX. It's a small town. I've read a few books. I used to think I was pretty hot stuff. Now I realize that I was just riding on a big ego trip. I am far from being a master.

But I want to keep practicing. Maybe if I had a nice sangha, I could do that.

I also need people to help me to stop being a jerk. In life, I am bad at recognizing when to shut up. I offend people. It usually ends with people exploding and telling me off in full flare, while I'm left wondering what happened.

My friends, on the other hand, a small group, tend to just tap me on the shoulder or cheek and remind me that I can get a little annoying sometimes. I'm glad I have friends like them. Usually, I'll be stunned for a few seconds, then I'll get a little embarrased as I realize what I've been doing. But I'll reel myself in.

I tell this too you, because I'm a flawed person. A few years ago, I gave every impression of an arrrogant, egotistical a-hole. I'm still learning how to have "beginner's mind". Well. Nice to meet you.
    edited May 2010
    A huge welcome to you Karik, I hope you enjoy the forum and find peace here :wavey:

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Wow!!

Where are all these people coming from? It's amazing!

Is it just me or does it seem like there are an awful lot of ex-Catholics around? (Me included...). Or maybe ex-Catholics are just more prone to describing themselves that way than others.

Just pondering....

Welcome all newcomers! It's lovely to meet you all and hear your stories.

I'm wishing you all great peace, joy, and spiritual development. :)