Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Hi I am a 37 year old female. <o></o>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    I find the writing of Buddhist teachers Pema Chödrön and Thich Nhat Han helpful in dealing with difficult painful emotions I struggle with. The writings are helpful but it is still hard work and a long process and I have good days and bad days and I am interested in the experiences of others in working with emotions and trying to be kind even when it is hard.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    When I was 8 my father became ill with cancer and died. He had a brain tumor which affected his behavior although noone explained that to me then. I have lots of anger, sorrow and grief, which is particularly coming up this year because I am the same age he was when he died. Meanwhile I have to go to work and I still live with my mother due to years of depression and anxiety affecting how much I work. <o></o>>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>>
    So I guess I haven’t said anything here that will attract a lot of friends but I am tired out from pretending to fit in which I never did anyway and can only be genuine and honest.<o></o>
    <!--EndFragment-->
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Welcome all newbies :wavey:
  • edited April 2010
    Welcome all newbies and have a nice weekend.

Greetings;Eric.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Really wrote: »
    Hi I am a 37 year old female. <O></O>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><O></O>
    I find the writing of Buddhist teachers Pema Chödrön and Thich Nhat Han helpful in dealing with difficult painful emotions I struggle with. The writings are helpful but it is still hard work and a long process and I have good days and bad days and I am interested in the experiences of others in working with emotions and trying to be kind even when it is hard.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><O></O>
    When I was 8 my father became ill with cancer and died. He had a brain tumor which affected his behavior although noone explained that to me then. I have lots of anger, sorrow and grief, which is particularly coming up this year because I am the same age he was when he died. Meanwhile I have to go to work and I still live with my mother due to years of depression and anxiety affecting how much I work. <O></O>>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><O></O>>
    So I guess I haven’t said anything here that will attract a lot of friends but I am tired out from pretending to fit in which I never did anyway and can only be genuine and honest.<O></O>
    <!--EndFragment-->
    I'm moved by your story. Welcome to the board.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks Skydancer. It means a lot to be acknowledged when you put yourself out there :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hello Really,I`m Eric from Holland.
    I have had a tough life and a lot of hurt.I started doing stupid things just to forget and to shut down my feelings.Since about 6 years I have been trying,fighting and working to get a "normal" life.
    Now I try not to do stupid things when it all "goes wrong in my mind",I just took up a good hobby in which I can "lose myself".I often find when I get depressed and spend a few hours on my hobby it really helps to change my mood/mindset.I don`t know if it`s something for you but it really saved me !
    I just wanted to give you this tip,I hope it helps.

Greetings;Eric. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hello, my names Garrett. :) I'm 15 and live in a small town in British Columbia. :)
    I noticed everyone here is really kind and decided to register. Not only that but you all seem to have different opinions on different things and I thought I could learn from it. :)

Yes, I was reading Robert Frost when I registered, thats the reason for my overly long username..lol

So, yeah.... :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hi Garrett, you maybe young but you are very wise to start searching for what works for you... I'm 48 and I finally got around to following what I always knew I wanted to do... to search for what works for me, and Buddhism so far feels like home.

So don't give up, keep searching and enjoy a long healthy and happy life.

Ivan
  • edited April 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    Hi Garrett, you maybe young but you are very wise to start searching for what works for you... I'm 48 and I finally got around to following what I always knew I wanted to do... to search for what works for me, and Buddhism so far feels like home.

So don't give up, keep searching and enjoy a long healthy and happy life.

Ivan
    Thank you, that means a lot. :)
    Blessings on you and your family. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hello, my names Garrett. :) I'm 15 and live in a small town in British Columbia. :)
    I noticed everyone here is really kind and decided to register. Not only that but you all seem to have different opinions on different things and I thought I could learn from it. :)

Yes, I was reading Robert Frost when I registered, thats the reason for my overly long username..lol

So, yeah.... :)

Welcome Garrett! It's great to hear about and speak with other young people interested in Buddhism. I too joined this forum to converse with like-minded individuals (that's what they're here for!).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    A warm and hearty welcome to all newcomers, younger or older, there's no distinction here....
    We're all in the same boat, all on the same path....

I like to look at it this way:
    It's a beautiful sunny day, we're all dressed for a good hike, warm clothes, sensible footwear, a sturdy walking stick, and a backpack full of everything we're going to need (A bit like Mary Poppins' Carpet bag!), and we're all striding out together.
    The path is long and stony, and the landscape is breathtaking.... a bit like the first really glorious day in a warm Spring.... it's all green, fresh and bracing....
    we can see miles ahead of us, and there's a way to go yet....but just take a moment to glance behind you and see how far you've come already....
    There are load of really good rest stops along the way, where you can sit for a while, take it all in, have a snack and a breather... then get back up again, and keep going...
    There will always be someone here to walk beside you.... the company's good, and the discussions quite stimulating!

Oh, and your rooms are ready when you are.....;)
  • edited April 2010
    Lucas wrote: »
    ... But the question is, can I be a buddhist without going to a temple or do I need to? I am pretty content with just being me and studying its teachings and the like. Also, since there are so many different sects of buddhism, can someone be a 'non-denominational' buddhist like how some christians are non-denominational, without leaning towards one form of teachings or another? ...
    Hi Lucas, welcome to NB! As for your first question, you don't need to go to any kind of temple unless you want to (or want to become a bhikkhu). As for the second, yes you can choose to not associate with any particular Buddhist school/sect; I'm not attached to any tradition in particular myself. I consider myself something of a universal Buddhist, not rejecting anything outright but considering all lines of thought/reasoning in their own light and with proper respect.
  • edited April 2010
    emh1701 wrote: »
    Hi, I am an agnostic currently researching Buddhism to see if it is the right path for me.
    Welcome to NB, and I think you might be surprised. I was an atheist most of my life but opened my mind and became agnostic in nature in the last couple of years. Even so, after considering all of the faith-based religions which seemed to all have a similar method of telling you to believe without question or burn, nothing appealed to me to answer my questions about life, the universe and everything. After studying Buddhism, meditating and realizing some of the truths of the teachings, I found that not all religions are religions. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    hoojoe wrote: »
    ... I've noticed it is hard to shake the ideologies that are ingrained into a person from childhood. I'm hoping to get past all that. Hopefully, I will find my path.
    That's the crux of the issue. We are conditioned to think in a certain way, and especially as children the ignorance of the species can easily become our own ignorance. As adults we try to break free of anything "unreal", but find that no one really seems to have the answers. We teach our kids about Santa Claus, but we teach ourselves about gods and monsters; yet, there's no one to tell us they're not real when we grow up. We have to grow up as individuals and find out the truth for ourselves, and that's what Buddhism is about. Good luck in your quest, hoojoe!
  • edited April 2010
    hi Im brandon from Georgia and am new to Buddhism
    Heya Brandon, welcome to the site. If you still have any questions on the basics I'd recommend these two sites: http://www.BuddhaNet.net and http://www.AccessToInsight.org. There are a lot of good people here on this forum that are here for the express purpose of helping others, so feel free to ask away.
  • edited April 2010

Hello to all new members and a warm welcome to the group ! :)

edited April 2010
    Eric wrote: »
    Hello Really,I`m Eric from Holland.
    I have had a tough life and a lot of hurt.I started doing stupid things just to forget and to shut down my feelings.Since about 6 years I have been trying,fighting and working to get a "normal" life.
    Now I try not to do stupid things when it all "goes wrong in my mind",I just took up a good hobby in which I can "lose myself".I often find when I get depressed and spend a few hours on my hobby it really helps to change my mood/mindset.I don`t know if it`s something for you but it really saved me !
    I just wanted to give you this tip,I hope it helps.

Greetings;Eric. :)

A lot of Eric's trouble was plastic surgery, as you can see by his avatar it went terribly wrong.
    edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    A warm and hearty welcome to all newcomers, younger or older, there's no distinction here....

It's a beautiful sunny day, we're all dressed for a good hike, warm clothes, sensible footwear, a sturdy walking stick, and a backpack full of everything we're going to need (A bit like Mary Poppins' Carpet bag!), and we're all striding out together.
    The path is long and stony, and the landscape is breathtaking.... a bit like the first really glorious day in a warm Spring.... it's all green, fresh and bracing....
    we can see miles ahead of us, and there's a way to go yet....but just take a moment to glance behind you and see how far you've come already....
    There are load of really good rest stops along the way, where you can sit for a while, take it all in, have a snack and a breather... then get back up again, and keep going...
    There will always be someone here to walk beside you.... the company's good, and the discussions quite stimulating!

OMG fede! I'm envious of that speech :D
    edited April 2010
    Welcome all newbies :wavey: Happy World Health Day :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »

But Fede, I've got blisters from walking so long! Can't we sit down and take a rest? ***whine, whine***

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Welcome.
    I`m quite new here too.I have NEVER had a bad experiance here,the people I have encountered are very nice.When you are young and want to learn,that is one of the greatest steps you can make in your life.A person who doesn`t want to learn is a "dead" person.(Just my opinion !).
    Allways keep your mind open !!! Greetings from Holland;Eric. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hello all!

I'm new here and look forward to dancing with all of you. So far I've been reading and enjoying so many different points of view and so much resonance in all the words... its nice to see a community of exchange. I hope your day is bright and your night deep.

With warmth,
    Matt
    edited April 2010
    Welcome newbies :wavey:
  • edited April 2010
    Howdy Folks,

I finally decided to really start to learn and understand Buddhism. I never was able to make any sense of the Catholic religion, even at a young age. Or any religion for that matter. I'm 46 years old, retired from the U.S. Navy. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. As it goes, I have had my ups and downs... Luckily my flare ups have not been nearly as severe as I know some peoples can be. I mostly get very irritated, make irriational decisions, and at times unable to focus with all the crap that seems to be constantly running through my head.

To keep a long story short, I just felt it was time to look for something spiritual I can get a grasp on. A couple years ago I read a book called "Zen and the Art of Poker." I am a poker player and some people recommended that book to me. I really took to it and while the book was not at all about Zen or Buddhism, there were constant references to the Buddhist religion that sparked an interest. I did some quick searches online and read alot of very interesting things that made sense to me. As usual I decided to put off looking further into it. A few days ago I felt I really needed to do something and started reading mucher more and now and totally convinced this is for me. It's going to be very hard for me, but everything about Buddhism just makes so much sense to me already I'd be a fool not to proceed further.

Have a great day everyone!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Swanny! (Wasn't there a song about you, Swanny, how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Swanny?)

Sorry. Anyway welcome. Glad to see another Chicagolander around here. I grew up in Rockford, which is sort of Chicagoland, and I went to grad school in Chicago, so I guess I qualify. Haven't lived there in 30 years though...

I'm also a vet (Air Force). In fact, it was because of the Air Force that I got interested in Buddhism. I was stationed in Japan for two years and loved to visit the temples and museums there. It led me to start practicing Zen when I got back to Chicago, and then later I got interested in Tibetan Buddhism, which is where I still am (and a monk).

Don't worry about coming to Buddhism late. It doesn't matter when you start. Wherever you start, you start where you are. That may sound stupidly obvious, but it isn't really. In other words, don't try to push the river, as they say. Just go slow and walk the path one step at a time. Results will come, but they may not be obvious at first.

Anyway, hope you stick around and join the conversations. It's a good way to learn.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Hi Swanny! (Wasn't there a song about you, Swanny, how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Swanny?)

Sorry.

Hah! I truly feel welcome now... With a last name of Swanson, I hear that alot even from those who don't know my nickname.

I used to go to Rockford Speedway for rock concerts in the late 70's... Definitely considered Chicagoland. I love the whole area. In the summer!

Your right it's never too late to learn something new, and I can tell you already, I have learned alot here in just a few days and plan on sticking around.

I have a ton of questions... I just don't know exactly what they are yet. I have read so much, my brain is strill processing it. :)

Thanks for the welcome!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Wow! Lots of newcomers!

Welcome everyone!
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes, welcome also :)
    edited April 2010
    Welcome newbies! :wavey:
  • edited April 2010
    Zen... and poker. Hmm. I play poker, maybe I'll look into that... ;) Welcome to the site Swanny.

I was just thinking about that TV series "Life" that had the cop that was in jail for 12 years, practiced Zen and had an insatiable appetite for fruit... anyone remember that show? Only ran for 2 years, but it was pretty cool.
  • edited April 2010
    friends,

i am hondahitha from sri lanka, 56 years old, a female but not wearing any jewels, buddhist from birth but not wearing only white, have read mahayana, thervada, bible, bagavat gita, a bit of islam so not against any religion and have read substantial amount of other worldly subjects to be able to discuss with members of the society

i thank to brian, federica and others who work to function this forum and other friends and to those who have contributed to many lively discussions in the forum

i hope to participate regularly if the time and other essential factors permits

thanks friends
  • edited April 2010
    Hi there, this is Sean from Las Vegas. Looking forward to some interesting discussions. :)
    edited April 2010
    Welcome newbies :wavey: Happy Yuri's Night :)
  • edited April 2010
    I'm bad at introductions, but hello :P I started reading about Buddhism a few months ago, and absolutely loved it. It fit into my beliefs perfectly. I just came here to talk with some like-minded people because I don't seem to have very many people I can talk to about religion without trying to be converted :D
  • edited April 2010
    Hello everyone! Have been reading quite a few books on Buddhism lately and it just sounds right for me, hopefully I can learn from people a lot more experienced about the best way to learn more!
    edited April 2010
    Welcome StarInTheDark and Trailseeker :wavey: I hope you enjoy your time here :)

I like religion too and somebody tried to convert me once, I'm not a Buddhist, more Unitarian, but I love reading about and agree with alot of Buddhism :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    Name: Marianty
    Sign: Capricorn'
    Hair: wavy, dark brown
    Eyes: dark brown
    Height: 1.62m
    Weight: N/A
    Born: in Guatemala, Jan 15th, 1990 for this time
    Currently: sleepy
    Favorite color: yellow
    Favorite band: too many
    Favorite food: curry and sushi
    Favorite movie: Irreversible
    Favorite book: The Perfume

I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I have never had a religion before, my family is formed by intense Jehova's Witnesses and Roman Catholic so I chose to be none of the above because they never made a lot of sense to me.
  • edited April 2010
    Name: Marianty
    Sign: Capricorn'
    Hair: wavy, dark brown
    Eyes: dark brown
    Height: 1.62m
    Weight: N/A
    Born: in Guatemala, Jan 15th, 1990 for this time
    Currently: sleepy
    Favorite color: yellow
    Favorite band: too many
    Favorite food: curry and sushi
    Favorite movie: Irreversible
    Favorite book: The Perfume

I am interested in learning more about Buddhism. I have never had a religion before, my family is formed by intense Jehova's Witnesses and Roman Catholic so I chose to be none of the above because they never made a lot of sense to me.
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Marianty :wavey: My friend is a Catholic. Buddhism is very interesting to learn about :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    Buddha's Witnesses: "Good morning, friend! Have you heard the Bad News and that they found a Cure for it?" :)
    edited April 2010
    I don't get it...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It's a play on Jehovah's Witnesses, Joe.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Just thought id say hi in the hello thread. Hi :)

I dont like to call myself Buddhist to do so would be incorrect as i dont fully practice Buddhism but i have always found its teachings so obviously correct in many ways and came to discover quickly a long time ago that many concepts of Buddhism were things I had already been practicing in one way or another for years before (when i started going to high school).

I'm 23 now :) (from Scotland) and im tring to find that balance that Buddhism brought me before my head exploded.

Anyway, Hi everyone.
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Eden, hope you enjoy da forum :wavey:

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    Hi, my name is Nervous :) I'm new to Buddhism, but I am very interested, and have begun attempting to practice it in my life. I don't have a guru, but I do meditate and try to educate myself about Buddhism as best I can. I hope to have many good conversations on this board!
    edited April 2010
    Welcome to the forum Nervous. Hopefully you'll soon be Confident :p

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

P.S.
    Happy Independence Day :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hi All – My name is Brad .... hence the handle :o) This is my first post, so here’s a few things about me!

* I’m 38
    * I live in Melbourne Australia, with my partner of 3 years, John, and our two ‘canine kids’, Max & Molly.
    * I am the son of an Anglican minister (Church of England in Australia).
    * At 18, I realised that so much of the violence in the world stemmed from religion, and I decided I didn’t want anything more to do with it. As you can imagine, this caused some friction with my father... more so than my coming out... go figure!
    * I became ‘Buddha-curious’ after living in Hong Kong back in 2000-2002. I have spent a number of years looking around, reading books, studying beliefs, philosophies, etc and it really hit home for me. It just felt right.
    * I believe that my actions, however insignificant, affect others in ways that can be significant to them.
    * I try to live by the 5 precepts, to the best of my ability, successful with some, but not so successful with others... I’ll raise these questions later...* :o)
    * I have visited one temple in Australia, Nan Tien, in Wollongong NSW,*and have visited a number overseas. All have been as an ‘onlooker’, as I have been too shy to step forward and ask questions... I would love to become more involved here in Melbourne, but just need to take that first step...
    * I have been reading posts on here for a little while now and everyone seems so friendly, funny, and eager to share their knowledge and opinions. I am certain that my thirst for answers will be quenched here...
    * I am also very open and honest, so please ask me anything you like in return...** :o)
    I look forward to chatting with you all!
  • edited April 2010
    Welcome to NewBuddhist, brad. I hope you find answers to all of your questions here. We're all in this together, so let's do the best to help each other. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hi guys....I've been a "wannabe" follower of buddhism for a while now. I say "wannabe" because the moment you tell someone (non buddhist) you are a Buddhist, they immediately think you have to behave all saintly like HH Dalai Lama. And, yes folks, I am definitely not saintly. :)

If you are not part of a Sangha or do not have a Guru (my case), its hard to have buddhism related discussions to progress oneself. This is an awesome place to share thoughts and ideas.

I hope share my thoughts and learn from others.

cheers
  • edited April 2010
    Sign: Gemini
    Hair: Light Brown - though i prefer to shave it off.
    Eyes: kinda green / hazel
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 230lbs
    Born: California
    Live: As above
    Favorite book: I'm reading/studying the Lam-Rim-Chen-Mo right now
    Favorite band: don't really have one anymore.
    Favorite food: all of it.
    Favorite movie: Taken, Rambo (2008), Synecdoche
    Favorite colour: blue? i don't know.

I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I am new here but have been practicing/studying Tibeten Mahayana Buddhism on and off since i started back in college.

Tibeten Buddhism lays a heavy emphasis on compassion and Bodhicitta - which really help me to worry less about myself and more about others - cut the ego up so to speak.

On the other hand since i have lived in different areas of Northern California I have not found a single Tibetan Buddhist Sangha I can drive to in any reasonable amount of time - so access to the teachings is what books I buy the commentaries I read and the teachings I can find online. So as it stand I have been incorporating a little Zen and Theraveda simply to fill the void of what I don't have access to.

I hope to learn from the community and offer some ideas where I think they would be of help.

With loving-kindness and compassion,
    LifeIsSuffering (until we cut the roots of our suffering)