Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited May 2010
    As the title says, I am entirely new to Buddhism. After meeting a Shaolin Monk and being friends with a Nepalese immigrant to Britain for several years my interest and support has peaked. I think its time to investigate more into buddhism.

I am listening to these audio lectures on buddhism, it does take a long time to listen to. And i am only on the Four Noble truths section at the minute:

http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-lectures.htm

I have never been a religious person as I found the idea of christianity wasnt near believable for me. I am an Engineering student and I think in a very down to earth and real way. I find the idea of one all knowing being a little bit suspicous. From what I have gathered so far I understand that Buddha simply discovered the truth of peoples lives as a human being. I like that he was a normal person and is not an all powerful God as it were.

As you can tell from my name I am also a karateka, and I take it very seriously. I don't train to become a more dangerous person, I train to become a better person and avoid the need to actually fight anyone, even though training usually ends up in someone being hurt :lol: Apart from that small matter I have been living by the 5 precepts (with the odd special occasion of breaking the 5th precept in celebrating) without even knowing it. :o

I just wonder about starting out on my little journey, and what I will need to know. Without getting too confused with the different types of Buddhism.

Thank you in advance.

William.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I imagine the only advice we would all agree on here is for you to learn and understand The Four Noble Truths.

namaste and good luck!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I would sample some of the traditions and see what resonates for you. I found all different teachings nice (shunryu suzuki, thich, pali canon, heart sutra, diamond sutra, mindfulness in plain english, HHDL, shambala) but I really gravitated towards the shambala teachings of pema chodron and trungpa rinpoche. By coincidence I found a lama in relation to those two that I could ask questions over the internet and I am taking their course.

I would also look to start a meditation practice. Hopefully either someone in person or else someone long distance can answer your questions. I like the meditation taught by Trungpa Rinpoche. It is on chapter four of when things fall apart by Pema Chodron.

I try to do sitting meditation daily. Walking meditation 3 times per week or so (walking helps bring the sitting to daily life). And daily awareness I try to be mindful of triggers of awareness to remind me of the dharma. Often suffering can be a good trigger or if you sense you are unconfident. That is when you need to remember to note what is there and be mindful. Open to the experience. Thich Nhat Hanh teaches to use bells and buzzers as triggers. Whenever the phone rings or whatever his students remember mindfulness.

Then I also try to read something or listen to an audio teaching at least one chapter or 20 minutes audio per day. You can read a book a month that way actually.

Finally remember how your motivation to practice fits with your life. You wish for happiness and the causes of happiness. You wish to avoid suffering and the causes of suffering. So if you notice something out of line with that that is part of mindfulness. Some conflict or anger or grudge or resentment or whatever. That is the manure that we practice with and a good chance to practice compassion on our own 'shit'.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    (. . .)
    As you can tell from my name I am also a karateka, and I take it very seriously. I don't train to become a more dangerous person, I train to become a better person and avoid the need to actually fight anyone, even though training usually ends up in someone being hurt :lol:
    well done! This is indeed the focus of any defensive martial art - or at least, should be. to utilise it to the best of your ability, and become so accomplished that you succeed in avoiding practice of this art, to wilfully inflict damage to anyone else, and instead, achieve self-mastery, and expertise. Congrats!!
    Apart from that small matter I have been living by the 5 precepts (with the odd special occasion of breaking the 5th precept in celebrating) without even knowing it. :o

hard work, isn't it....? :lol:
    I just wonder about starting out on my little journey, and what I will need to know. Without getting too confused with the different types of Buddhism.
    Thank you in advance
    I echo Thickpaper....A lifetime spent studying, understanding, knowing, accepting and realising the Four Noble Truths is quite a project in itself.
    Many people consider me fixated on this simple premise, but in point of fact, under closer examination, ALL of the Buddha's teachings lead back to this.
    So Simple is, as simple does.
    While everything else is interesting, fascinating, mind-bending, engrossing and all-consuming - in the end, the basic premises are really what matter.

Use the force of a feather to deflect the strength of a tiger.
    Welcome - nice to meet you!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    WhiteLotus wrote: »
    Jade
    (. . .)
    Well, Im very young, and my three best friends are Buddhist, I use to be Wiccan, but my life went all messed up, I use to curse alot, and be quite "perverted" but then my friend changed, and became a Buddhist, he explained alot to me, so I decieded to learn more about Buddhism..... and that's how i got here. :)

WhiteLotus, welcome...Our esteemed and respected member, Love 'n' Peace, is of your age....
    I'm glad we have two young and enthusiastic members here....
    Brilliant to have you along. Hope you enjoy the ride - !!
  • edited May 2010
    :wavey:Hello and welcome to all of our new members!

Treelurv, I have read Living in the Light and was very influenced by Shakti Gawain a few years ago (over 20 when I think about it!). It is very positive stuff and can be useful as long as you don't get too attached to a particular, materialist outcome! ;) It was a shame when those techniques were picked up by the 'think yourself a mercedes and a big house' crowd!

Fran
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    WhiteLotus, welcome...Our esteemed and respected member, Love 'n' Peace, is of your age....
    I'm glad we have two young and enthusiastic members here....
    Brilliant to have you along. Hope you enjoy the ride - !!
    There are kids here as young as age twelve?..... I have a son 11 and would never take right speech lightly in front of him. The older people here have a responsibility that I didn't clue into.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Welcome...

0613-life-instructions.jpg

I love stuff like this that captures some essence of Dharma but this is A-1 super fine as such things go, IMHO!

namaste
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Jade and all the other new members :wavey:

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010
    G'day My name is Mick, new to this forum but have been practicing Buddhism on and off for about 15 years. I am an Aussie but am currently living and working in southern China as a teacher.

I have stayed away from forums for about three years because of my unpleasnt experiences at the now extinct E-sangha.

In Buddhism I gravitate towards Therevada and I am planning to ordain as a novice within the next 12 months.

I do love talking and reading Buddhism but I am not big on technical talk :crazy:

I look forwards to my time on this fine forum.

Metta:)
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    :wavey:Hello and welcome to all of our new members!

Treelurv, I have read Living in the Light and was very influenced by Shakti Gawain a few years ago (over 20 when I think about it!). It is very positive stuff and can be useful as long as you don't get too attached to a particular, materialist outcome! ;) It was a shame when those techniques were picked up by the 'think yourself a mercedes and a big house' crowd!

Fran

Ugh, I agree! I don't favor the parts of the book that encourage that kind of aim. When I read it for the first time back in 2006, I thought, "Here it is! Here's my spirituality!" and then quickly let it go and regressed back into the hamster wheel of monotonous life. Rereading it at this time in my life was powerful, but at the same time I know that there's so much more information out there that I don't feel I'll "agree" with everything in one book at all. I've been reading a few others (on a Tara Brach kick right now) and I'm excited about gaining more information and incorporating it into my own life.
    edited May 2010
    Oh and also, welcome to all the new folks!
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Mick,
    Sorry you didn't have great experience at e-sangha. There were certainly a lot of very strong and forth right characters there! Welcome to newbuddhist. It has a different and less combative feel in my experience.

Treelurv,
    I haven't heard of Tara Brach so I'll look that up.
  • edited May 2010
    Hello. My name is littledorrit (named for my favorite Dickens novel) and I am wading into the fray.

Despite only being 18, I have been a Presbyterian, a (confirmed and serious) Catholic, a Wiccan, an atheist, an agnostic, a Deist, a Gnostic Christian, and a (headscarf'd and serious) Muslim. My spiritual life has been in utter turmoil since I was about ten, the age at which I noticed that the most religious students at my Tennessee middle school were the nastiest bullies.

I have turned to Eastern spirituality because I cannot make myself believe in the personal, all-powerful, infinitely loving but infinitely wrathful God of the Christians, Muslims, Jews, and atheists. I believe in an impersonal Life Force, a natural rather than supernatural flow that any physicist would recognize. I hesitate to call it God. I am also interested in the ethics that go with the metaphysics in the Eastern spirituality; the Bible accompanies its "be nice" message with an injunction to take revenge on the Jews for the death of Christ, while the Tao Te Ching does not. I do not see the East as some kind of utopia, mind you, but I do think that Lao Tzu and Buddha had better ideas than 99% of the historical religious leaders of the West and Middle East.

The Belief-O-Matic, which I take every few months, has always said that I am a Buddhist (98% Mahayana, 96% Theravada). It said that I was a Buddhist even when I was a Muslim. I have been getting this result for five years, and I think that it is time for me to explore this spiritual orientation that I apparently have. :)

I am interested in both Buddhism and Taoism; I don't yet know enough to decide (or not decide; I don't know if Eastern spiritualists ever really "decide" anything).

So, yeah...here I am.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Welcome littledorrit,

I too feel drawn towards both Buddhism and Taoism (hence my avatar... I see the lines between the ba Gua as the 8 spokes of the Buddhist wheel, the taijitu as the hub and the outer edge of the Ba gua as being the rim... representing the three trainings; virtue, wisdom and concentration)

The Belief-o-matic has for me both T and M Buddhism in the high 90's but the other way around...

Welcome once again,

with metta,

johnathan
  • edited May 2010
    This looks a really nice site. Haven't had much chance to look through it yet, but I found it from a google search for an answer to a particular question, and got a good answer here. Lots of young people on the site. I love young people, so I won't tell you how old I am :-) (Where are the smileys?)

I live in Bangkok, Thailand, with my wife. Our children and grandchildren live in Brisbane, Australia, and I guess we'll go back there eventually. I post quite often to a forum here, which is based on Theravada, being in Thailand, but is open to all (like newbuddhist.com). I read more Mahayana, however, and will link up with the Mindfulness Practising Group (Plum Village-connected) when we go back to Oz. We have stayed at Plum Village in France and are inspired by Master Thich Nhat Hanh (though I sometimes fall asleep during his Dharma Talks). Just being in his presence is an uplifting experience.

I hope all of us in this forum benefit from what we read here. As long as we are humble, compassionate and respectful to each other I'm sure we will. It's hard to put the ego aside sometimes, but so worthwhile when we do.
  • edited May 2010
    Hello. My name is littledorrit (named for my favorite Dickens novel) and I am wading into the fray.

Despite only being 18, I have been a Presbyterian, a (confirmed and serious) Catholic, a Wiccan, an atheist, an agnostic, a Deist, a Gnostic Christian, and a (headscarf'd and serious) Muslim. My spiritual life has been in utter turmoil since I was about ten, the age at which I noticed that the most religious students at my Tennessee middle school were the nastiest bullies.

I have turned to Eastern spirituality because I cannot make myself believe in the personal, all-powerful, infinitely loving but infinitely wrathful God of the Christians, Muslims, Jews, and atheists. I believe in an impersonal Life Force, a natural rather than supernatural flow that any physicist would recognize. I hesitate to call it God. I am also interested in the ethics that go with the metaphysics in the Eastern spirituality; the Bible accompanies its "be nice" message with an injunction to take revenge on the Jews for the death of Christ, while the Tao Te Ching does not. I do not see the East as some kind of utopia, mind you, but I do think that Lao Tzu and Buddha had better ideas than 99% of the historical religious leaders of the West and Middle East.

The Belief-O-Matic, which I take every few months, has always said that I am a Buddhist (98% Mahayana, 96% Theravada). It said that I was a Buddhist even when I was a Muslim. I have been getting this result for five years, and I think that it is time for me to explore this spiritual orientation that I apparently have. :)

I am interested in both Buddhism and Taoism; I don't yet know enough to decide (or not decide; I don't know if Eastern spiritualists ever really "decide" anything).

So, yeah...here I am.

At 18 you have an interesting life ahead of you. Such a lively, enquiring mind and so much to learn. I'm at an age when I tend to dispense unsolicited (and probably unwanted) advice, but I would suggest you don't entirely dismiss the things you've put behind you, especially if they have captured the minds and hearts of large numbers of people.

Those faith-traditions and belief systems must have something going for them if they still have unforced adherents after some hundreds or thousands of years, and therefore deserve some sympathy. The adherence may not, after all, be based on a well thought out and informed decision, but on strong emotional and cultural connections.

Teachers like the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh do not ask us to discard our religious heritage and convert to one of the many Buddhist traditions. You might do that, but I think it's better if you do so without rejecting the things that are good and true in your own or others' heritage.
  • edited May 2010
    G'day everyone,

This is Thomas from Chiang Mai, Thailand. I have discovered newbuddhist.com yesterday. I can't really say that I am new to Buddhism, since I've been a student of the Buddha for 15 years now, though probably not always a diligent one. Is this forum mainly for people who are new to Buddhism? I couldn't really tell from an hour of browsing, so here I am... let's find out.

Cheers, Thomas
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Is this forum mainly for people who are new to Buddhism? I couldn't really tell from an hour of browsing, so here I am... let's find out.

This forum is for everyone interested in Buddhism, no matter how new or experienced they are.

Welcome all new members! Enjoy!
  • edited May 2010
    Hi and welcome Truthseeker aka Thomas, I really like the name of this forum it's refreshing.
    Hope you have a good stay :)

kaya
  • edited June 2010
    Hi everyone. :)
    I'm new to the forum here and well, kinda new to Buddhism as well. I wouldn't say I'm a Buddhist but I relate to the principles pretty well. I'm not religious, although I did go to a christian private school in my jr. high and high school years, but I'm not an atheist either. I like to think I'm spiritual, if that makes sense.
    edited June 2010
    Mick wrote: »
    G'day My name is Mick, new to this forum but have been practicing Buddhism on and off for about 15 years. I am an Aussie but am currently living and working in southern China as a teacher.

I have stayed away from forums for about three years because of my unpleasnt experiences at the now extinct E-sangha.

In Buddhism I gravitate towards Therevada and I am planning to ordain as a novice within the next 12 months.

I do love talking and reading Buddhism but I am not big on technical talk :crazy:

I look forwards to my time on this fine forum.

Metta:)

Hellos mate! That E-Sanghas place has sum bad wooooords 'bout it! And u no gud at tekno tork? OMG WTF? U make me ROFLMAO!

Yoddlebyez! :p
  • edited June 2010
    robb wrote: »
    I'm new to the forum here and well, kinda new to Buddhism as well. I wouldn't say I'm a Buddhist but I relate to the principles pretty well. I'm not religious, although I did go to a christian private school in my jr. high and high school years, but I'm not an atheist either. I like to think I'm spiritual, if that makes sense.
    Hey Robb, welcome to the site 'n stuff. Don't worry about what you 'are', because that's just an abstraction. When we start to try and define ourselves or anything else in terms and words, we lose sight of the empty nature of existence and that there isn't anything that can be 'nailed down' or said to be any 'thing' at all. What you'd think of as a true Buddhist would more likely say that they are neither Buddhist nor not-Buddhist. Seek answers, offer answers, enjoy the chance to communicate with others and find peace. :)

Namaste
    edited June 2010

So, yeah...here I am.

Welcome littledorrit :wavey: it's cool you have so much experiance with religions :D I've been an Atheist, Agnostic, Theist, Christian, Buddhist, Unitarian Universalist and I've toyed with Wicca :) I'm currently part of a Wicca forum. I've found Wiccans to be just as open-minded and nice as people here, although not quite as argumentative :lol: That isn't necerarily a good thing though ;) I'll take the Belief-O-Matic now, see what I get... I got Unitarian Universalism 100% and Secular Humanism 96%. Theravada Buddhism 88% and Mahayana Buddhism 64% :)
    edited June 2010
    This looks a really nice site. Haven't had much chance to look through it yet, but I found it from a google search for an answer to a particular question, and got a good answer here. Lots of young people on the site. I love young people, so I won't tell you how old I am :-) (Where are the smileys?)

I live in Bangkok, Thailand, with my wife. Our children and grandchildren live in Brisbane, Australia, and I guess we'll go back there eventually. I post quite often to a forum here, which is based on Theravada, being in Thailand, but is open to all (like newbuddhist.com). I read more Mahayana, however, and will link up with the Mindfulness Practising Group (Plum Village-connected) when we go back to Oz. We have stayed at Plum Village in France and are inspired by Master Thich Nhat Hanh (though I sometimes fall asleep during his Dharma Talks). Just being in his presence is an uplifting experience.

I hope all of us in this forum benefit from what we read here. As long as we are humble, compassionate and respectful to each other I'm sure we will. It's hard to put the ego aside sometimes, but so worthwhile when we do.

Welcome :wavey:
    edited June 2010
    G'day everyone,

This is Thomas from Chiang Mai, Thailand. I have discovered newbuddhist.com yesterday. I can't really say that I am new to Buddhism, since I've been a student of the Buddha for 15 years now, though probably not always a diligent one. Is this forum mainly for people who are new to Buddhism? I couldn't really tell from an hour of browsing, so here I am... let's find out.
    Cheers, Thomas

edited June 2010
    robb wrote: »

All the best
    NickiD
  • edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    Hey Robb, welcome to the site 'n stuff. Don't worry about what you 'are', because that's just an abstraction. Even what you'd think of as a true Buddhist would more likely say that they are neither Buddhist nor not-Buddhist. Seek answers, offer answers, enjoy the chance to communicate with others and find peace. :)

Namaste

Thank you for the welcome and the insight, Javelin.

Namaste to you as well.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi all newcomers!

Hope everyone is having a good and productive time on here.

:)
  • edited June 2010
    Hello everyone :)

My name is Kym and I'm another Aussie (I see there are a few of us here). I'm very new to Buddhism but I'm convinced it's right for me.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and I'm excited about this journey.

Cheers,

Kym :wavey:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Kymmie,

Welcome to the forum! Its good to see that more and more Australians are taking an interest in the Dhamma!

With Metta,

Guy
  • edited June 2010
    Welcome Robb and Kim to this forum, :wave:
    edited June 2010
    Welcome Kim :wavey:

All the best
    NickiD
  • edited June 2010
    Hello, Kaya. Thanks for the welcome.
  • edited June 2010
    Hi, as you might guess, my name is Amanda.

I consider my spirituality to be a hodge-podge of different traditions, mostly including Christianity, Wicca, and Buddhism. I've just started exploring Buddhism in the last few weeks and have discovered that it espouses many of the ideals and morals I already believe in. I also like that it encourages skepticism and puts an emphasis on finding your own spiritual path (from the little I've read so far).

What spurred me to investigate Buddhism was reading books by Natalie Goldberg. I love writing, and the marriage between writing and Buddhism is intriguing. It explains why I feel the way I do when I write.

Thus far, I've mostly read articles online and Natalie Goldberg's books. I read a little bit of a couple books on Buddhism while I was in the book store the other day, too. Using Amazon, I ordered Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind and The Miracle of Mindfulness. I'll be able to read them in couple weeks.

I know this is a contentious issue, but I just want to share what I think has been a valuable result of Buddhism for me: I've always loved animals and almost envied vegans. I never thought I had the strength to go on such a restrictive diet myself, though. Reading all this material on compassion and not causing suffering to others has given me the guts to go vegan. I'm happy with my decision. I'm not saying Buddhism requires or doesn't require this. I'm just saying it strengthened my pre-existing convictions enough that I was actually able to do something about them.
  • edited June 2010
    Hi,

My name is Pieter and I am a 52 year old Dutchman. I am a buddhist in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh and my Dharmaname is Tâm Mãn Lô, which means Full (or Complete) Path of the Heart. I received the transmission (The Three Jewels and the Five Mindfulness Trainings) from Thich Nhat Hanh on 5 May 2006. I am married, with two daughters (15 and 17).

I try to live by these Mindfulness Trainings and try to apply them in daily life. I am an English teacher at a lower vocational school (14 to 16 year-olds). I teach mindfulness to cancer-patients and their relatives and by doing so try to relieve their suffering. It's very beautiful 'work'.

I hope we can exchange about the Dharma and daily life.

A lotus for you, buddhas to be,

Pieter
    edited June 2010
    Welcome Amanda :wavey: I too have tried out Christianity, Wicca and Buddhism. I also love animals but I have not decided whether I want to become a vegan or not. My trouble is I don't know whether to go with "it's natural" or "if humans can live healthily without animal products, why use them?" I'm pescitarian at the minute (my mother won't permit me to be vegetarian) but when I'm older I've decided to use only home or local-grown fruits and vegetables and keep chickens for eggs ect.

All the best
    NickiD
    edited June 2010
    Welcome Pieter :wavey: there is at least two other Dutch people on here; I'm sure Eric'll come and say hi :)

All the best
    NickiD
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Welcome new members! I'm sure you'll find the forums as enjoyable and useful as I have. Enjoy!
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2010
    i guess i should introduce myself

Name: Austin
    Sign: Sagaterius (yes it's spelled wrong...I think)
    Hair: brown
    Eyes: greenish
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Born: New Orleans
    Live: Chicago
    Favorite book: Hunger Games
    Favorite band: None
    Favorite food: Shrimp or Lasagana
    Favorite movie: Christmas Vacation, 300
    Favorite colour: Brown

So this is my first time on a fourm and I'll try to make it seem like I know what I'm doing. So I was born and raised catholic. I went through all the steps (actually my conframation was today) without any fuss. When I got into high school I started questioning it. I was/still part am atheist (my parents don't know) it's not that hard to keep it a secret tho since we only go to church once every 5 months if even that much and I can tolerate most of the annoying and boring parts of it. I started thinking about Buddhism from someone I know that said they wanted to become Buddhist and I looked into it as well. I saw that it was what I was looking for because even though I may say I'm atheist there was still that part of me that wanted to be part of a religion. I am just starting out and I don't really know anything but I would like to know more and possiably practice Buddhism. I don't know anyone that is Buddhist so the Internet is basicly the only guide for me to go on and I'm not sure what places are crediable and which are not.....that's about it.
    -Austin
    edited June 2010
    Welcome Austin, I hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy your time here, most of us are nice, if a little weird, but that's the new normal, right? :p

All the best
    NickiD
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ha don't worry I'm a little weird also.
  • edited June 2010
    Hi! I'm Grim and I'm new to Buddhism. I chose the nick not because I'm grim but as a little reminder to not take myself (or life) too seriously. I'm 41 years old, I teach full-time at a college, I'm married to a wonderful woman and am owned by a not-quite-so-wonderful cat.

About 10 years ago I looked at my life, decided I wasn't the person I wanted to be and decided to change. I recently discovered Buddhism (planted a flag and everything) and it just....clicked. By nature I am hyper, high-strung, anxious and preoccupied with the future. When I started reading about Buddhism I felt like a carpenter who was told "You don't actually have to hold your hand over the nail as you bang on it...it works just as well if your hand isn't there". Okay so analogies aren't my forte, but you get the idea.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at just how much information there is, but I'll take it one day at a time.
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer
    edited June 2010
    Name: Bruce
    Sign: Sagittarius
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5.13 ft
    Weight: 71
    Born: Tianjin, China
    Live: Auckland, New Zealand
    Favorite book: Philsophy books like Michel Foucault
    Favorite band: Wutang!
    Favorite food: anything as long as it's vegetarian
    Favorite movie: Ghost Dog - Way of Samurai, IP Man, Pineapple express

I awakened about 3 weeks ago suddenly as an athiest... My though pattern and perception of reality changed over night. After looking at teachings from all the religious texts. Buddhism is the exactly what I am feeling.
    edited June 2010
    I just have to say that I'm happy to see so many new Sagittarians!

Oh, and also: WELCOME!

Grim, I can relate with being overwhelmed at how much information is out there! I've started making myself stop when it gets to the point where I'm barely comprehending anything anymore lol.
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Same here Grim. There is so much new infromation to learn but I found it is best to go slow and take your time looking at everything.
  • edited June 2010
    Welcome to the melting pot of Buddhist thought, Brian/thug4lyfe. :)

Glad to hear that your perspective has shifted. How would you describe what you are 'feeling'?

Namaste
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I'M not sure if this is the right spot but I keep seeing text and other things in a diffrent languge. Do I need to learn it and if I do what is the best way to learn it.
  • edited June 2010
    You probably mean either Pali or Sanskrit.....and no, you do not 'need' to learn it. Rather it may be beneficial to learn the translated terms, such as dukkha, kamma/karma, anicca, anatta, and others.

These terms are often used in place of English translations and so it helps to know what they mean (which is often not expressed perfectly in any English word equivalent).

Namaste
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ok thanks