Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited April 2010
    You'll fit in perfectly here, LifeIsSuffering. People of all Buddhist traditions congregate here to argue for hours on end, as they like. I'm not even of a particular Buddhist school, but hold them all in high esteem; they all teach of suffering and its cessation. Don't worry about "mixing" traditions, because the core of Buddhism will always hold up and lift you out of the mud.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Brad, hope you enjoy the forum :wavey: and welcome oh saintly KillBuddha ;) Oh, and welcome LifeIsSuffering :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

P.S.
    Happy Primrose Day and Happy Bicycle Day :D
    edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    You'll fit in perfectly here, LifeIsSuffering. People of all Buddhist traditions congregate here to argue for hours on end, as they like. I'm not even of a particular Buddhist school, but hold them all in high esteem; they all teach of suffering and its cessation. Don't worry about "mixing" traditions, because the core of Buddhism will always hold up and lift you out of the mud.

And I'm not even a Buddhist :p Well said Stephen ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Hello everyone. I've had an interest in Buddhism ever since I took a World Religion course in college. I've always meant to look further into it, but due to chronic depression, I couldn't find the motivation to do so. Now, over three years later, I'm finally at a point in my life where I can motivate myself to look into this fascinating religion. I'm agnostic, but much of what I've read about Buddhism has appealed to me. I am still learning though, and am relatively ignorant. I joined this forum to help change that. :)

I'm a 21 year old female and am working on an associate's in physical therapist assisting. I also work part-time at my local library. I don't have a lot of free time due to the nature of my degree, but when I do I enjoy playing the piano, drawing and reading. I found this website and have been lurking for a week or so. It seems that everyone is nice and helpful (an unfortunate rarity online) and I'm excited to get to know everyone.
  • edited April 2010
    Welcome to the forum, Neophyte!
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Neophyte. I sincerely hope you enjoy the forum :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    Hello everyone, I'm Jenny and I'm really interested in Buddhism, from a more secular standpoint. I've been an atheist for over a year now, but I really like a lot of the concepts and mindfulness aspects of Buddhism and I want to learn more. I'm really happy to be here. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    welcome Jenny...
    A Canadian, huh?
    You have a wonderful fellow Canadian here, by the Name of Brigid.
    Fabulous!

Nice to meet you!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Aaaww shucks, Fede. Yer sweet.

Hi Jenny and all you newcomers. There are so many new people coming around! What a hoppin' popular place this is. :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I know, it's getting too populated. I'm moving to a cave...

Palzang
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

Your words smell of cave already! :lol:
  • edited April 2010

Palzang

There's a forum for hermits that I'm a member of. :) You'd be welcome to join us there too! :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    And no one is allowed to make comments, right? :)

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    Your moving to a cave Palzang? *There's a party at my stories thread tonight for anyone who wants to come!* :p

Nah, I'm just kidding Palzangorang

Welcome to the forum Jenny! :wavey: (My nan's name) (Got to agree with Fede BTW)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

P.S.
    Happy 4/20 everyone! (A day where people gather to celebrate a consume cannabis!)

P.S.S
    I don't celebrate this day and got it of wikipedia :eek:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Well, I can understand why today would be a big pot party. It's also Hitler's birthday - a good day to drop out and turn on! I mean, who wants to remember that?!

Palzang
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Well, I can understand why today would be a big pot party. It's also Hitler's birthday - a good day to drop out and turn on! I mean, who wants to remember that?!
    Hahaha <3
  • edited April 2010
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CTomy%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CTomy%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CTomy%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-AU</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> I am going to copy Elohim's format 2.
    Name: Tom
    Sign: Taurus
    Hair: redy, greyish, blondy, brown
    Eyes: sorta grey green/blue
    Height: 6.1f
    Weight: 75 kg or so
    Born: Sydney New South Wales Australia
    Live: Brisbane Queensland Australia
    Favourite book: Musashi Eiji Yoshikawa
    Favourite band: Err Sigur Ross
    Favourite food: Maybe that spinach curry from cheap Indian places
    Favourite movie: The Life Aquatic, (Animated) Howls moving castle, Princess mononoke, Spirited away, pretty much anything ells from studio gibli
    Favourite colour: Red with black, Earthy oranges

So just a little about my background you might find interesting to know if you ask were I am coming from while reading something I might post. I was born in Sydney without my father whom my mother had ran from while I was a little foetus. My mother had always had a keenly spiritual outlook on life and with my father had joined a religious group that I could describe to you as an odd blend of different world religious cultures, with certain parts cut out or added to try make them fit together like a complicated jigsaw puzzle. If you want to check them out it’s called "Church Universal and Triumphant?" In the mid-late 80s they were calling from America to their followers around the world to flee from society and populated areas under threat of society breaking down into chaos and killing each other for resources. So I was raised out in the Australian scrub far from reach of anything. However it turned out in the long run that what they were running away from was really within themselves the whole time, violent and psychological abuse were common. My father came and found me after 5 years but at that time my mother had been coerced into another marriage as a single woman was seen as a disruption to communal harmony, this man had a long history of violence and psychological instability. (I know it all now but I was 5 then) I have 4 brothers and 1 sister and we all lived in fear of him for several years. One night my mother packed up all the kids and whatever ells she could in one night and ran to the city. So from then on I lived a pretty urban life for a long time, except it was an extremely painful transition to need to suddenly understand and appreciate things like education, money, bills, and the pressure and judgement that hovers over everyone’s heads when you get enough people together. But these days I’ve found allot more peace and time to reflect and have what skills I need to maintain some semblance of harmony in my journey. I think that it’s not necessary personally to call myself Buddhist because a need and drive for deeper understanding would make me the same way if I had never heard of it. But it has helped me in leaps and bounds to ponder the wisdom of others; also I think Buddhist tradition represents a light of wisdom in a world struggling with self destruction, which is a symbol worth representing. I look forward to getting to know you all :D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    sacredfire wrote: »
    So just a little about my background you might find interesting

Welcome Tom the Taurus, that was an interesting story indeed! I hope you enjoy your stay.

With warmth,

Matt
    edited April 2010
    Welcome to the forum Tom (the name of my half-uncle) :wavey:

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes, that is quite a story, Tom. I hope you find some peace here.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Guess I should introduce myself, huh?

The name is Christopher, and I'm 34. Very new to the subject of Buddhism, but have discovered a great many things since I've begun practicing, like how to calm my mind and sleep without prescription medications. And how to deal with anger in a constructive way. Both have been things I have struggled with for about 20 years.

I'm not exactly sure what "sect" I would be, or if I plan to follow any or all. I have contacted a local Zen Buddhist group I'm curious about, and hope to meet up and talk with them. I'm located here in Kennewick, Washington, and know no other Buddhists, so it's been flying the net, reading, and meditation. I have much to learn, but think I may have found the right place to continue further down my path of exploration.

Is nice to meet you all, and I hope I can (at some point), provide knowledge to others as others have provided knowledge to me.

Thanks for reading.
    Best,
    Christopher
    edited April 2010
    Hiyas Christipher :wavey: hope you enjoy the forum :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

P.S.
    Happy World Book and Copyright Day
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you for the welcome Jellybean. Nice to find myself among folks who share a common interest. :)

Best,
    Christopher
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hey all, I thought I'd introduce myself tonight. I'm Santiago, from Ecuador (in South America, in case someone can't place it (it happens often)). I'm 32 and I have been interested in Buddhism for a while, ever since I got a book on meditation (Steve Hagen's "Meditation Now Or Never") for xmas last year.

I still don't know what "kind" of Buddhism suits me best, and for now, I'm concentrating on reading as much as I can on the basics, online and I also have two more books on Zen Buddhism (the one I feel more drawn to, as this is the kind I was first exposed to with the meditation book), by Steve Hagen coming in the mail very soon.

These forums seem like a great place to learn and discuss all things related to Buddhism and I can't believe I didn't think of looking for discussion forums up until tonight. Glad to be joining all of you and I hope you won't mind the many questions I have about meditation and Buddhism in general.
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Santiago from Ecuador (I bet people get confused :D) :wavey: Hope you enjoy the forum!

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm gonna dig in and start reading posts today and see how that goes. Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Oh, and by the way, that's a really cute doggie you've got on your avatar Jellybean. White as snow. Nice.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks! Everyone's saying how cute she is lately! One of my friends thinks she's ugly! :(

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    You have friends?! I mean...

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Hello all. I joined the forum to find myself, or lose myself.
    edited April 2010
    Oh haha! I happen to have good- em, well, I mean some, well em, I suppose I have a few, OKish friends :eek: But atleast I'm not an orangutan somebody kidnapped, took to Maryland, dressed in a robe and was given a computer :p

Welcome Earth! Enjoy the forum :wavey:

Happy DNA Day, Malaria Awareness Day and Red Hat Society Day! :D

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    Hi! my name is josh, i found this board via Google. I do not classify myself as Buddhist but i am taking a Buddhist class this semester. I am also very mental health minded i get into the whole fulfillment of the self by the self ideology. There are lot's of things that i perceive as Buddhist and i agree with. However I do not belong to any temple ore religious group. I take Buddhism "A La Carte" lol

Enlightenment is obtained by the detachment of the self, but i think i need to develop myself more before i am detached from it.
  • edited April 2010
    Earth wrote: »
    Hello all. I joined the forum to find myself, or lose myself.

if your lucky, BOTH!
    edited April 2010
    LOL. Welcome Josh :wavey:

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    :eek:

I am going to copy Elohim's format.

Name: Patrick
    Sign: Aries
    Hair: Grey with a bit of brown still up there.
    Eyes: brown (does that mean I'm full of it?)
    Height: 71"
    Weight: 260 lbs....
    Born: Massachusetts, USA
    Live: Arizona, USA
    Favorite book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Favorite band: Megadeth (I know, I know)
    Favorite food: Chinese
    Favorite movie: V for Vendetta, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Star Trek, Serenity, Braveheart, Rob Roy, 13th Warrior, Monty Python's "The Holy Grail.
    Favorite colour: Forest Green
  • edited April 2010
    Originality is overrated. I'll copy too...

Name: Rob
    Sign: ughh astrology
    Hair: brown
    Eyes: brown
    Height: 183 cm
    Weight: 105 kg and dropping (slowly)
    Born: Pennsylvania, USA
    Live: Pennsylvania, USA
    Favorite book: Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter
    Favorite band: Depends on my mood, but "Variations on the Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression" by Frank Zappa is fantastic.
    Favorite food: Again it varies, but there is never a bad time for cheesecake
    Favorite movie: Even numbered star trek movies
    Favorite colour: (shouldn't it be "favourite colour"?) #483D8B
    edited April 2010
    I thought in America colour was spelt color?...

Welcome Patrick and Rob :wavey: Hope you enjoy the forum...

All the best,
    Jellybean

P.S.
    Happy World Intellectual Property Day
  • edited April 2010
    @Love'N'Peace: yeah, clip and paste doesn't auto-edit! :P
  • edited April 2010
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for maybe a week an I think I've found what I've been looking for. But first something about myself.

I'm 33 years old, a male monkey-mind from Finland. I guess I've been a buddhist for most of my life, but I realized my thoughts about this world were buddhist maybe 10 or so years ago when I read the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Songyal Rinpoche. There was much in the book that I didn't understand then, but in a way it felt like coming home when I read it. I remember reading Robert M. Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance during the same period of my life. I've never been religious and although I liked what I read I didn't give it any further thought then, but continued living my quite atheist life. I respected buddhism and shared the ideas, but didn't feel like a buddhist myself.

Maybe three years ago I stumbled on further buddhist books and as I also faced difficulties in my life (anxiety, panic disorder) I became very interested in the human mind and how it works. Now maybe 50 books and a couple of years of meditation later I have found my way here. I've been practicing for myself for these years and never really even looked for sangha. The biggest reason for this is that I really don't know which lineage to follow as I read all kinds of books and like different aspects from different lineages. Another problem is that I don't really like the intellectual quarreling about who is right, who is more buddhist, what's the right way to practice and so on. As I see it they are mostly different tools for the same goal.

This forum is the first one I've found were the atmosphere seems great and people really support and respect each other.
  • edited April 2010
    Name: Sarah
    Hair: Red
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 145
    Born: Lakewood, CA
    Live: Southern IL
    Favorite book: There is so many, but now I am reading Anne Rice books
    Favorite band: Oldies music. David Bowie, Tears for Fears, Boston etc.
    Favorite food: Cheese!!!
    Favorite movie: Ponyo
    Favorite color: Brown

Hello all! I have been interested in Buddhism since I was about 14 years old. I enjoy learning about many religions. Love history. I am not big on posting things, but I have been checking out this webpage for some time now, and decided to finally create an account. I have a year left of college to become an teacher, but I have taken some time off to work and be with family. (Pay off loans etc) I always read books on Buddhism and was fortunate enough to have a high school teacher who was in the process of finding himself and a few years back he become a monk! I have decided to look more deeply into Buddhism. I am still trying to find myself and the life I am living now I don't like. I have a lot of stress and panic attacks for no reason at all. I feel very negative because I am surrounded with negative people with views very different from mine. I work with people who upset me because they are very opinionated (on views on social class, religion and race) Moving from CA where everyone is open minded to the South was a huge culture shock. I have made few friends in high school. In CA we made friends with the people who had same music interests here its based on religion, and with population of 1000, only 8 streets wide our town have 10 churches, all Christan.

A little bit about my past in CA. I lived there for 16 years. My mom knew I loved religion, she took me to any church I wanted to go to, of any religion just so I could learn more about it. It was more for educational purpose then practice. My dad was very abusive hit me all the time, locked me and my brother in the bathroom etc. Up until we left him to IL when I was 16. I dealt with major depression. Our family was alway poor and I never had a room of my own. But I made life long friends there. When I moved all that seemed to go away. I never felt bad for my dad treating me so poorly. I never talked about it. Everything about my past just seemed to go away. But I had new problems to deal with. After finishing high school in Southern IL I was detached from people. I use to blog all the time and IM many people... now it can be 5-6 days before I even say hi to someone.
    All in all I am very tired of this path I have been going down. Buddhism has always been in the back of my mind as something that really interests me but I had more searching to do before I knew what I really wanted. It is time for a change and I feel and hope Buddhism will give me what I am looking for in life.

I am really glad I made an account and I am look forward to getting to know you all.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Urban, I think its great that it felt a coming home when you read the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, I've heard a few people describe their experience with it much the same. I think you're right about pointing toward a similar goal, its interesting how many interpretations of the steps there are. Good luck here and elsewhere!

Welcome Sarah, I'm sorry that your past and present have some difficulties. I think your desire to become a teacher is great. Buddhism could certainly help you come to terms with what is and was going on around you, and usually the more effort you put into it the more results you get out of it! I look forward to hearing more from you, feel free to post questions or insights or whatever is going on :)

I sincerely hope that both of you find solace and connectedness in the face of your anxiety and panic. Hopefully you can find some help and heart within the walls of the community here :) *hugs* to you both.

With warmth,

Matt
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for maybe a week an I think I've found what I've been looking for. But first something about myself.

I'm 33 years old, a male monkey-mind from Finland. I guess I've been a buddhist for most of my life, but I realized my thoughts about this world were buddhist maybe 10 or so years ago when I read the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Songyal Rinpoche. There was much in the book that I didn't understand then, but in a way it felt like coming home when I read it. I remember reading Robert M. Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance during the same period of my life. I've never been religious and although I liked what I read I didn't give it any further thought then, but continued living my quite atheist life. I respected buddhism and shared the ideas, but didn't feel like a buddhist myself.

Maybe three years ago I stumbled on further buddhist books and as I also faced difficulties in my life (anxiety, panic disorder) I became very interested in the human mind and how it works. Now maybe 50 books and a couple of years of meditation later I have found my way here. I've been practicing for myself for these years and never really even looked for sangha. The biggest reason for this is that I really don't know which lineage to follow as I read all kinds of books and like different aspects from different lineages. Another problem is that I don't really like the intellectual quarreling about who is right, who is more buddhist, what's the right way to practice and so on. As I see it they are mostly different tools for the same goal.

This forum is the first one I've found were the atmosphere seems great and people really support and respect each other.

See, Joe? I'm not the only orangutan in the house! And I wasn't kidnapped. The bananas were freely offered.

Welcome Mr. Orangutan. I had no idea members of our species lived so far north! And welcome everyone else as well. Too many to keep up with!

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    See, Joe? I'm not the only orangutan in the house! And I wasn't kidnapped. The bananas were freely offered.

Welcome Mr. Orangutan. I had no idea members of our species lived so far north! And welcome everyone else as well. Too many to keep up with!

Palzang
    Yeah, it can get pretty lonely and scary here with all the polar bears roaming the streets :) That's why I came here looking for refuge.
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Mr Orangutan and Sarah! :wavey: I once had a gerbil called Sarah and I have a thread about saving orangutans! I hope you both enjoy the forum :D BTW Joe is my silly, immature nickname!

All the best,
    Jellybean

P.S. When I'm older I may change my legal first names from Joseph Thomas to Joe Jellybean :p
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, it can get pretty lonely and scary here with all the polar bears roaming the streets :) That's why I came here looking for refuge.

Well, you came to the right place. Pull up a banyan tree and have a banana!

Jellybean Joe is our offical greeter, btw.

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    So I am, never noticed before. I'm also official weirdo, questioner and Palzang anoyerer.

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    We all have our jellybeans to bear...

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    That's funny :D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    We all have our jellybeans to bear...

Palzang

You can get arrested for that.
  • edited April 2010
    HI all,
    I am new to this site and fairly new to Buddhism.
    Living in Florida with 3 rescue birds who light up my life, an orange wing Amazon named Emeril, a Fischer's Lovebird named Lady Ram Das, and a real cartoon character named Bobby who is a feather-picking,collar wearing, Goffin Cockatoo.
    I have 3 children, 2 who breathe air and one who no longer needs too.
    Have been in 12Step Recovery since 1977, clean and serene since 1981.
    Have done a lot of spiritual seeking and incorporated much I've learned into my beliefs.
    Am finding Buddhism seems to offer a real frame work in which to fit it all, and a path which seems to truly lead to freedom I have glimpsed before.
    I am looking forward to getting to know you and learning much more.
    Thank you.
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Liberte :wavey: Hope you enjoy the forum.

All the best,
    Jellybean