Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Well, we lost the last one, but let's try it again now that we're on a stable server. I'll post my introduction soon, but I just wanted to get this one started again :)

Comments

• emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I am going to copy Elohim's format.
    Name: Carlia
    Sign: Pisces
    Hair: Light brown
    Eyes: The colour I associate with pond scum algae - kinda green
    Height: 176cm
    Weight: 58 kg
    Born: Perth, Western Australia
    Live: As above
    Favorite book: Catch 22, Cloudstreet
    Favorite band: changes weekly
    Favorite food: Satay noodles
    Favorite movie: Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange,Pulp Fiction, The Killing Fields
    Favorite colour: Pink. Green.

I do not have a tale as long as the above :), but here goes.
    I have had in interest in Buddhism since I was about 15. I did some reading etc, but that was all until about two years ago. Religion is not something my family talks about much - due to the fact that we have never been religous. I was baptised but never attended church. My stepfather is a non practising mormon. (Yes, used to doorknock...) He is a wealth of somewhat untapped information.
    In Australia, religion does not really play a strong part in most peoples lives. I am generalising here, but most people I know do not attend church or have been baptised. It is just not an issue, which is sad because Australia already has a 'no culture'.
    I have attended a temple a few times, but as I have been working and have a small child, it is hard to find the time. (Temples just don't have creches, LOL!) Now that I have resigned, hopefully I can go to the temple more often and learn some more, speak to some more people, get the meditation down pat. There are dozens of different temples in my cityand all sects are covered. The temple I have attended is Tibetan Buddhist. I cannot even say why I chose that temple. I went to a few and the one I attend just sat right with me, so I will stick with that one.
    I do not consider my practise of buddhism to be a religion. Some of my family have said some nasty remarks about my turning to religion in a time of crisis, but I do not consider it to be that at all. Buddhism to me is a way of life and a way of thinking, dealing with people, problems, life. It helps me be calm, and makes me think about things from all sorts of perspectives. I am learning to be less judgemental (SLOWLY) and accepting of peoples weird views, oops I mean different views to mine.
    I love this forum, you people have become my mates. There are some fatherly types and motherly types, and some buddies and some spunks...;) You people make me laugh and I know I can ask things and get a response, and even if you laugh at me - I don't know it!
    Carlia
  • edited August 2005
    Hi my Name is Kim,
    I am a 45 yr old single mother of one . I am half Apache and Half Scottish/Irish. Blonde Hair and Blue eyes, ( The Scottish side i guess LOL).
    When I was in High School I took a course in Native American Study for my humanities class. On the first day my teacher asked if any of the students had Native American blood. Of course i raised my hand. He asked from what tribe and i told him. Well that was a mistake.. LOL Because after that he kept asking me if what he was teaching was right or wrong according to my tribes traditions, I didn't have a clue, I was not raised on the reservation.
    Luckily we have a reservation close to where I live ( Santa Maria Area) so I was able to visit them and learn from them.
    I found that there are alot of the same traditions and meanings in the legends of my people as there are in the Buddhas Teaching. Meditation, Chanting, Living mindfully, etc. But there are also alot of supersitions, brought about by the holy men and christians. Both were necessary during their time.

I also had alot of friends who were raised Buddhist. Shin Buddhist. ( there is a big community here)
    So it was easy for me to actually combine both paths for a while. Although I find now that I am starting to relaize which are true for me and which are myth. Since I have joined this forum, I have learned alot form the wonderful people here and for that I am eternally grateful.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    I'm your mate! Yea!!!....I hope I'm not the motherly type....pond scum is a pretty green though. :)

Welcome (yet again ;) ) you two! :wavey:

P.S. Copycat, copycat, nobody likes metric, nah nah.....oh, what? *mumble mumble* Huh, so we're the ONLY ones using the old inches and feet system eh?.....opps. Nevermind. :) Metric rules! (Except when your car has metric nuts which my silly American 3/8 wrench won't fit..... :rarr: )
  • edited August 2005
    Elohim, Big Hug to my Motherly Dharma Brother. :mullet:
    edited August 2005
    :lol: Thanks.....I think.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Elohim you are the spunk...LOL! Not at all motherly! I do not like metric, I much prefer imperial but I do not know what my measurements are in imperial. I used to be 5'4" but that was years ago...
    edited August 2005
    :rockon: :rocker: :rockon: Yes! I am the spunk! :rockon: :rocker: :rockon:
  • edited August 2005
    Hello all,

I am new to this site and new to Buddhism as well. My name is Andrea, and I am a married mother of 2 wee boys (ages 7 and almost 3). We live in Toronto, Canada (or at least we will do as of next week! We are moving out of the suburbs, where we got very tired of the sprawl and the car-culture, and the isolation...sorry, OT!).

I'm a stay-at-home mum, and we are currently homeschooling our children. I have lots of interests including belly dancing, baking and crafty stuff (I like to think of myself as an alchemist of sorts), films, music and reading.

I was baptised Catholic and attended a Catholic school until grade 4. I spent my teens and early 20's searching for a spiritual path that "fit me", and when nothing seemed to, I declared myself agnostic. One of my aunts later reminded me not to ignore my spiritual side, even if I hadn't found a 'religion'. So the search continued. The closest I ever got to finding something that felt right, was when I discovered Wicca. There is still much about Wicca that speaks to me, but I never managed to incorporate much of the ritual of it into my everyday life.

My intro to Buddhism came when my father-in-law moved to Thailand and found his partner, who is a Buddhist along with the rest of her family. Hearing a little about it sparked my interest and I began doing some research and found that the basic tenets are something that feels right to me. So here I am, newbie hoping to learn more....this forum looks fantastic, and I can't wait to explore and participate (though it might have to wait a couple of weeks until we are a bit settled in our new home!).

Pleased to be here. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

Name: Federica
    Sign: 'Slippery when wet'
    Hair: glossy 'Cosmopolitan' cover chestnut
    Eyes: Deep liquid, seductive hazel
    Height: 5'11....oh, alright already!! 4'10""
    Weight: 8 stone (I don't know, in lbs.... go figure!!)
    Born: yes, several times, apparently
    Currently: Central eastern France
    Favorite color: darker than Black
    Favorite band: Would that be Broad or Rubber?
    Favorite food: yes please, I'll have two....(Mainly Japanese)
    Favorite movie: Tie between 'It's a wonderful Life' and 'Alien meets predator'.
    Favorite book: Anything with pretty pictures. And BIG words.

As you might have gathered from the above, the title of Village Idiot fits me well.....
    I'm half English, half Italian, and I have lived in France for six years, when I moved from South UK in 1999 with my family - husband and two daughters. I speak the three languages fluently, but there again, so what?
    My husband and I are now separated, but I have a new partner with whom I have found a level of happiness I truly never believed possible for a mere mortal to achieve on earth in one lifetime. Given that this has happened, I am extremely open and receptive, therefore, to theories of re-birth and Enlightenment here and now.....!

Like so many on this site, I was born, baptised raised and schooled a Roman Catholic. I went to a convent where everyone thought nuns floated around with goat's feet under their habits, shaved heads and scars of flagellation across their backs. Smelling salts and extra oxygen all round when the habits literally changed, and we poor hapless innocent schoolgirls discovered they had - shock, horror - feet and hair!! (The jury's still out on the scars....)
    My mother takes great delight in informing anyone who'll listen that when young, I couldn't decide on a career - it was going to be either a nun or a stripper.... my life has been a series of extremes ever since.....!
    Fast-forward (not as much fun with DVD's) to the mid '80's when I became fascinated by Japanese culture, mainly through the cuisine... I worked as a sales rep in London, and visited Soho and ChinaTown often (it's not what you think.... not all of Soho is sexually oriented and depraved.... there are still three and a half square inches which are chaste, pure and unsullied.... anyway, I digress....) there are thousands of Japanese restaurants there, displaying their wares in the form of fascinating plastic, realistic sculptures (unlike Macdonalds, Burger King, Kentucky or Wendy's, you REALLY DO get what you see in the 'picture' - !!) and the more of the food I ate, the more fascinated I became by the whole culture, history thing....
    Eventually, I decided to opt for a new career, and drawn to the oriental, I began to study Shiatsu. (I had also by this time, carved out a respectable career for myself as a Feng Shui Consultant, running workshops and advising people on just why it would not be a good idea to paint little Tommy's room a delightful shade of vomit-yellow.... I know Feng Shui is not Japanese per se, but run with me on this one, ok?)
    Through Shiatsu, and my tutors, I eventually encountered meditation, Qi Gong and Buddhism.
    having lived my entire life as a 'Good but rebellious' Catholic - I was even a school Senior Governor at the Roman Catholic Primary school both my daughters attended! - This Buddhism lark hit me like a something crossed between a refreshing spring morning warm breeze and a raging tornado ripping everything in its' path to shreds..... talk about a rapid re-evaluation and a re-think.....Life transformed itself into a series of 'lightbulb' and "ahaaaah" moments (thanks Oprah.....) and in fact, I spent the next ten-or-so years sorting the crap out of my Mind and replacing it with logic, Common Sense and a deep and lasting sense of Quiet Joy. It's an ongoing process. I'm not done yet, but the ride is amazing.....
    Please don't think that I don't have a handle on the impermanent and transitory nature of all things, but if I could transmit one minute's worth of the Happiness I have now found with my New Man Nick, to anyone - it would be sufficient to last them a lifetime.....
    I found this site some time ago, and gathered up several wonderful friends in one fell swoop. I've labelled it my 'Comfy-armchair-cosy-slippers-and-cup-of-cocoa' place to be. It doesn't matter what anyone says or writes in their posts, it's as good a "home" feeling as you can get. In the bosom of my Buddha-family, Life is sheer Joy.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Welcome, Andrea!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Oh hushmymouth wherearemymanners, yes indeedy - welcome Andrea!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Yes - Welcome Andrea, hope you settle in for a stay.

Federica you NEVER fail to make me laugh. Yay the Village Idiot. Hell, more like Global Idiot ;)
    edited August 2005
    :thumbsup: Emmak....XX
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! I think I'm gonna like it here. :)

I will be disappearing for a couple of weeks though....first to attend 2 Hawksley Workman concerts this weekend (www.hawksleyworkman.com - if you haven't heard of him, do check him out, he is totally brilliant!), and then next week we are moving! See you again in a little while....
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited September 2005
    hi,
    my name is tsui minghui, i'm 35 years old now, live in indonesia(southeast asia, near thailand,malaysia,s'pore, australia,etc)
    i'm one of the missed fish by those christian net catchers(evangelists),i was off the hook when i read a comic about gautama's life story,especially the part when a mother asked buddha to resurrect her dead son,it gave me deep impression about buddhism.so till now i'm attached to this Path
    edited September 2005
    Hello Angulimala, nice to see you here too.... !
  • edited September 2005
    Hello angulimala, Nice to meet you.
  • edited September 2005
    Hey... My name is Amara.

There are two ways of pronouncing my name. One is aemayra and the other is just amara. Or you can just call me Jo Ann. Hm... sad i'm the only one viewing this thread now. Anyway, i am from Malaysia and i'm now currently in Kuching, Sarawak... also in Malaysia hehe uh-oh it's going to rain here...

Erm... Actually i have a question on kamma. Hope you can help enlighten me.

here goes,
    What can we do to reduce someone's effects of bad kamma?
    say, a small girl is ill after an operation and she is getting worse. Is there anything at all that we can do to help her get better? in other words, help to reduce the effects of her bad kamma.

If there is nothing that we can do (except to wait and hope for her good kamma to show up) does that not make Buddhism seem without hope? I mean in other religions, people pray to God and they have some trust in God that makes hope seems to be there in times of need.

So... from the Buddhist point of view, what can we do for the little girl? We can't just sit and shake our legs and watch her suffer... can we?

Thanks for your attention...

With metta,
    Amara
    edited September 2005
    Hello Amara/Jo Ann and welcome..;
    Complex question.... so many things need to be taken into consideration.

Assuming everyone concerned understands the concept of Karma.....
    First of all, the little girl is lucky to be receiving treatment at all.... that is good karma, surely..... Then, from my point of view, I look upon things in two ways: The 'Humanistic Level (day-to-day occurrences we have to deal with, like work, dental appointments, birthdays, travelling) and the Spiritual level (Buddhism, Karma, the 8Fold Path...)
    the two run parallel, and often overlap, or intersect, as in this case.
    Buddhism doesn't offer 'Hope' as other Religions might, given that they operate around an unseen Deity who is ultimately responsible for Judgement and Salvation.... Buddhism, not strictly a Religion, is something that guides you in finding answers and solutions within.....
    So on one level, doctors and medical staff are doing all they can to help and save this little girl. On a spiritual level, many people ask the question: "why me?" I would respond, "Why not?" Things happen because they happen - past Karma is not only previous life, it's also previous day..... If the little girl is ill, it's futile to dwell on why and how.... the essential is to concentrate on the now, and to do what one can to make everything better - Body, karma and Life.
    edited September 2005
    Welcome Amara,

Your question presupposes an intial judgment which is that illness is, somehow, the result of "bad kamma". This is quite a leap of faith. It is, interestingly, addressed in the Christian scriptures as well.

As one who has had the privilege of working with those dying of HIV/AIDS, I reject the idea that disease is 'kammic debt': it is so often an opportunity for both the sufferer and the carers.

In Buddhist thought, kamma is not a simple, single line, cause-effect arc but is a consequence of the interconnectedness and interdependence of all phenomena. It is, thus, impossible to characterise it as 'good' or 'bad'.

What can youi do for the sufferer? Make sure that they get the best care, both medical and personal, that is available. Love them, unconditionally, as they struggle with the deep distraction of pain. Hold them and allow them to know that you will not leave them to suffer alone - whilst ensuring that we do not trespass on their space or their own decisions. And, above all, deal with our own frustration at our impotence well away from them so that we do not 'dump' our own difficulties on them.

At least, that is what I always practised and what I shall want for myself when my time comes.
  • edited September 2005
    Hey...
    Guess you are both right... Just that it will be hard knowing that there really isn't anything that can be done except to give support, love and hope that the doctor knows what went wrong...

I reckon almost all here view Buddhism as a way of life and not a religion... Yeah, in a way, it is a way of life...

Thanks...

:type:
  • edited September 2005
    Hello to all of the new members that have joined recently!

My name is Adiana and I just want to say hello and welcome to the site. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Adiana :wavey: :wavey:
    edited September 2005
    Amara,

Unfortunately that is the First Nible Truth - "Now this, monks, is the Noble Truth of dukkha: Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair are dukkha; association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha; not getting what is wanted is dukkha. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha."

As sad as it makes us that we are sometimes powerless to help those that need it, we must remember that this is only one of the Four Noble Truths. Life is not without hope, there is always hope. Life just isn't permanent.

Our sadness arises when we grasp at those things that we love with no understanding that they will pass away. We should love, care, and support all the wonderful people in our lives, but we should also have wisdom enough to see that there is ageing, sickness, and eventually death.

It is a very hard thing to be confronted with loss, but we must be. That is the nature of all conditioned dhammas (all things). Once there are no more conditions, there are no more dhammas.

The Buddha taught many different things to help many different people. One thing he taught was that when the body is sick the mind does not necessarily have to be as well: Nakulapita Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn22-001.html

Another is the best medicines for the body don't always work; here's one for the mind that does: Virecana Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an10-108.html

A child may not understand many of these things, but here is a discourse on ten perceptions that can heal body and mind: Girimananda Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an10-060.html

And finally a collection of various teachings by the Buddha dealing with advice for aging, illness, death, and separation: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/aids/advice.html

Sometimes the very best thing we can do is just to be there with our love. I am not sure if any of this will help you, but it is the best I can do. I do not know the inner workings of kamma myself, no person really can. Perhaps the illness is unrelated to kamma since there can be many factors involved. Whatever the case I hope that the doctors can discover what is wrong and cure it.

You have my best wishes.

Jason
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks Elohim!

Pleasure to meet you guys!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Name: Sara
    Sign: Gemini
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Brown, although they can be hazel (if I'm wearing my nifty-cool color contacts)
    Height: 5''10
    Weight: baaaa
    Born: Augusta, GA
    Currently: Ditto
    Favorite color: RAINBOW : D~
    Favorite band: Uh, Moby or Daft Punk or The White Stripes
    Favorite food: Cinnamon apple tea
    Favorite movie: Anything Harry Potter, anime, etc. [i.e., anything geeky 8)]
    Favorite book: Ditto, plus I'll read anything else I can get my hands on

Er, not much to say ^_^;; I'm kinda late because I didn't realize that we had another thread, sowwies!
    I'm a junior in high school, I play piano, I like cats, and I also enjoy collecting pretty drink bottles. (Don't ask :D)
    I hope to learn from everybody!
  • edited September 2005
    Hello All,
    Call me Viv,
    I'm new. All the way from the valleys of South Wales in the United Kingdom. The Green Green Grass of home.
    Former Catholic, now awakened to buddhism! I live with my partner Allyson and sheepdog Wallace. I have a 15 year old son called Zach, who stays the weekends, when he his not busy.
    About 10 years ago I was a very lost, confused, tax problems, breakdown of relatiopnship, alcoholic binge drinker and prozac taker. Vegatating alone in a high rise flat, and basically self destructing. I read a book called the Joyful path of good fortune, then started to attend meetings with a Sangha that use to travel over from Bath in England, once a week. I was transformed and then went on a sort of world religion pilgrimage to India for one month, where I spent time with different religions and cultures. At the end of my Journey I decided that buddhism was the path. And been trying to stick to this ethos ever since. My sangha is no longer around in South Wales, so now I come to you lovely people for friendship and guidance through this cycle existence. We journey now, destination enlightenment.

Look forward to getting to know all 500 of you.

Viv
  • edited September 2005
    :p Hi Viv, And Welcome
    edited September 2005
    Croeso, Vivian!
  • edited September 2005
    Hello, everyone, this is me:

Name: Karen
    Sign: Sagittarius
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Hazel
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 125 lbs. in the summer, 135 lbs in the winter.
    Born: Michigan
    Currently: Michigan
    Favorite color: Green
    Favorite band: Too many to choose from. I love all music.
    Favorite food: Spinach Pie, Chocolate, and COFFEE
    Favorite movie: The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
    Favorite book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (Should be made into a
    movie and shown every year on TV (just like the Wizard of Oz))

I was not raised with any particular religion. My Mother had been a Sunday school teacher at a Lutheran Church for a short period of time in her teens. My Father grew up in the South among Baptists, but his Mother was a Jehovah’s Witness. Thankfully, I was left to decide my path on my own.

I attended a Baptist Church (after an invitation from a classmate) from age 10 through 12. When my Sunday school teacher informed me that girls who wore pants would be going to hell, I began to question where the rules were coming from.

Found Philosophy interesting and read the Discourse on Method and Meditations by Rene Descartes….“I think, therefore I am”... Then I read about Marcus Aurelius and Stoic Philosophy…“When we are pained by any external thing, we need to remember that it is not the thing which bothers us, but rather our own opinions about it.”

Then I learned to meditate and started reading Buddhist Philosophy.

In searching for a Sangha, mbmcmichigan.org pointed me to Brian and this website. And here I am!
  • edited September 2005
    prana wrote:

When my Sunday school teacher informed me that girls who wore pants would be going to hell, I began to question where the rules were coming from.

Ahh....don't you just love the threats of going to hell?? I think it's great that you were already quesitoning where the rules were coming from at such an early age.

A big welcome to all of our new members! It's great to have all of you here.

Kim
    edited September 2005
    It is very nice to meet you Karen. :)
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to all our new members.... very happy to share your experiences, listen to your stories, share ours and answer your questions in any way we can.... and we won't "blind you with science" - !!
  • edited September 2005
    :mullet: peace viv :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    Sorry I missed you, hello Vivian!
  • edited September 2005
    Hello everyone I figured would introduce myself before I started posting imfo:
    Name: Brian
    Age 32
    Hair: blond
    Eyes: blue
    Weight: 235
    Height 6ft 1inch
    As for other imfo I don't have any favorite food i just love to eat hence why after 2 years of going to the gym I more muscular but still have the paunch(gut). I love reading books providing they are non fiction and all the shows on tv I enjoy are all the nerdy science shows along with history-same as the books I read. My favorite activities involve the outdoors-fishing, mountain biking,hiking,photography,offroading and any thing to do with history like checking out old mines and ghost towns many near where I live.

A few months back after hearing about the latest deaths from terrorists acts
    I went off on a tirade at work saying I was going to convert to buddhism because you never heard of Buddhists blowing themselves up or piloting planes into buildings like the 9-11 attacks.
    Little did I know in a few months I would be seriously looking at this religion. It all started one Saturday morning while the family slept I decided to check out what Buddhists believed and the more I read the more I liked as the religion is based on logic and reason and quite unlike the pentecostal version of christianity That I grew up with.
    I had for many years quitely disagreed with many of the churches teaching especially their almost fanatism concerning rock and roll music-aka "devil music". And of course to bolster their claims they would point to "the worst of the worst" like Ozzy Osbourne or Kiss. Don't even get me started on "back ward masking" conspiracy.
    Once we moved to the city we presently live in we stopped going to church and I found myself really questioning all the teachings of the church more so than I really had in the past.
    Many teachings in the church simply didn't make sense for instance you had to ask Jesus into your heart in order to be saved and not spend an eternity in hell If this was the case what happened to the rest of the world in paticular the Americas which didn't hear about christianity until the 1600's. Did all those people go to hell? What about homosexuals- why would god make you that way if it's an abbomination and unnatural according to the bible?
    After all we are made in gods image according to the bible.
    Hopefully no will be offended at what I've written here about christianity as I only meant to show my past difficulties with believing christianity and what lead me to discover Buddhism.
    I enjoy the site and all the postings-many wise people with lots to say.
  • edited September 2005
    well everyone's doing it..... :whatever:
    Name: Thomas
    Location: born, pitttsburgh pennsylvania, usa, now, pierre south dakota, usa
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Green
    Height: 5 ft. 8 in.
    Weight: 114 lbs.
    favorite band: weezer
    Favorite color: green
    other stuff, well i like to walk, spend a lot of time with my friends, don't play any sports, except pickup games of football, soccer, and street hockey.
    i don't enjoy horror movies and get scared easily, my favorite food, pizza!!
    my favorite movie, the lord of the rings series, and no,i have read the books, many times. i've the original box set, it's unreadable because the pages are too brittle.
    my favorite books, the harry potter series, the lord of the rings, and the pendragon books.

the reason i wanted to become a buddist is to find meaning in life.
    ive been running and doing pushups/situps to help me manage my stress.
    i've got no girlfriend, but i do like to spend time with actual friends. :mullet:
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    i mit as well to,

name: Jon Tree Top
    locatin:born Spearfish SD live in Pierre SD
    hair: black
    eyes: brown
    hiegth: 5ft 3 in
    wieght: 118
    fav band: Linkin Park
    fav color: red
    other stuff: like to just hang wit me friends and go wit de flow
    comedy all de way and my mom makes this seriosly awseom casrole that is my fav food
    i like all kinds of books and movies (to numeris to mention)

i wanted to become a buddhists because i was always angry and i didn't know why and id just bottle it up until i blow up on my friends,on my mom, on any oen who tried to help

ill stop now and post the rest on problems by sufferer
    edited September 2005
    How wonderfully this sangha grows! Welcome to all I have not yet said hello to! This is a good oasis.

I realise that I haven't added my own biog to this new thread so here goes:

name: Simon
    location:Western edge of the Cotswold hills in the UK. Born in London, brought up London and Normandy. Travelled a bit.
    hair: Greying and long (half-way down my back)
    eyes: two (altho' one of my 'pagan' friends insists he can see a third - but he's crazy)
    heigth: 5ft 10in
    wieght: 80 kg
    favourite musos: Leonard Cohen; Jan Gabarek; folk music; Philip Glass and so much more.
    daily pastime: having retired to educate my son, I now spend my days in idleness.
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    "thers no shame in being a pariah" i saw that one it was awesome where bart burns all the presents
  • catcat
    edited September 2005
    Hello!
    I am new here, so I wanted to introduce myself! My name is Cat, I am 35, married almost 16 years with an 8 yr old son. I am an artist, and stay home and homeschool my son. (Any homeschooling buddhist mom's out there? :) ) I come from a christian background, but was never able to find peace with all of the doctrine and constant mention of hell, and even more constant judgement of others to hell (altho I still believe in God, I just have a different, more open view of it all). Anyway, I live in colorado (we just moved here from rapid city about 8mos ago). We have lived in quite a few places, so my family would tell me and hubby that another big hobby of ours is moving! I would love to find a teacher, or even a few buddhist friends to talk with.

I started reading about buddhism about a year ago, and found that it "fit" me somehow...I am not sure even how I stumbled upon it, but I found it very interesting- sort of like "finding myself" again, as strange as that may sound! I have no teacher yet, so a lot of my study comes from the library or internet.

I have a lot to learn, so I am happy to be here for discussion! It is very nice to meet you all!
    edited September 2005
    Welcome, Cat!

I have been a homeschooling Buddhist lone Dad. Fun, isn't it!

Glad you're here. You probably know this but if you Google the name of your town and "buddhism" you may find some contacts.
  • edited September 2005
    lol im too good for introduction.
  • edited September 2005
    is that rapid city south dakota, cat?? cuz i live in pierre sd. :mullet:
    welcome!! :mullet:
  • edited September 2005
    Hi Cat!

Welcome to the site. There are a great bunch of people here. I look forward to getting to know you better.

To all who have recently joined us here at NewBuddhist: WELCOME!

Adiana :type: :mullet:
  • catcat
    edited September 2005
    Very nice to hear from you all!! Yes, we moved from south dakota, sufferer! We loved it there, but also our heart is in colorado! I like your response about finding meaning in life...
    A homeschooling dad?? How cool is that?!!! Yes, challenging, but would not trade it for anything!
    Thanks for your very kind welcome-you guys made me smile! I have SO much to learn, tho...
  • edited September 2005
    Name: Ivan
    Sign: Aquarius
    Hair: Blond
    Eyes: Blue and seeking clarity
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 225
    Born: USA
    Live: Virginia
    Favorite book: Angels and Demons currently
    Favorite band: DAVE MATTHEWS!!!!!!!!!
    Favorite food: Thai Hot Noodle Soup
    Favorite movie: Requiem for a Dream
    Favorite colour: Blue

Friends I feel lost in the world right now....
    I went into the military when I was 18 years old (currently 26) after serious bouts with drugs, running away for brief periods of time, fighting (literally) with my parents. The military changed me for the better and I'll always feel blessed for that. My issue is that I have been to some of the most beautiful places in the world to include Japan (Osaka, Kyoto), Thailand (Bangkok), Afghanistan (Everywhere in the country it seems), and ceratinly my favorite and most inspiring NEPAL!!!(Kathmandu). I'm not really sure the U.S has it figured out....I have witnessed first hand the oppression by the US in sutle and not so sutle ways. When I was in Nepal something changed for me. I have never subscribed to traditional religion at all as I had problems with it forced nature at least in my family and surrounding community. I have been researching Buddhism but I am currently in the Reserves (UNFORTUNATELY) and I don't know??? I'm am a good person who has always been a good hearted person?? I don't know,sorry if I'm babbling. I'm just going to go to a buddhist temple here locally (www.ekojirichmond.org) and walk in like a wounded puppy looking for help and guidance. I know a Buddhist that I work with a he is such an awsome person I look forward to seeing him every day at work...he seems to have this air about him and his kindness is intoxicating...he's incredibly knowledgeable as well. Just wondering if anyone out there can help me possibly with encouragement or guidance. Thank You all and I look forward to becoming a regular part of this community
  • edited September 2005
    i guess i should introduce myself

Name: Nathan
    Sign: the two-fingered one
    Hair: dark brown
    Eyes: sort of muddy green
    Height: not a clue
    Weight: 55kgs
    Born: UK
    Live: Near London
    Favorite book: the toa of pooh/hitchikers guide to the galaxy
    Favorite band: Tori Amos
    Favorite food: whatever i happen to be eating
    Favorite movie: Shawshank Redemption/Fight Club/Predator
    Favorite colour: never thought about it

Apparently i was on the buddhist path long before i knew anything about buddhism. i had some problems which didn't go away until i stopped asking God for help and decided to help myself.
    Found buddhism in a hotel room in Mexico. It was a book and alot of what it said i already thought, so i looked at it some more.
    My spiritual influences include buddhism, toaism ,wiccan, science, Jesus, Babylon 5 and God only knows what else.
    Wait... i don't believe in God.
    edited September 2005
    Welcome, Ivan and welcome, Nathan (oh dear, I sound like Rabbi Lionel Blu!),

Nathan: glad that you use the good old English archers' salute!

Ivan: how could we not hear your pain? Is the problem that you have been, as a soldier, around the world, you have had to be part of something you now reject? This I can understand! It is the reaction that arises when we become aware of our "interbeing", of our part in the historical oppression and exploitation of others.

The Indian emperor, Ashoka, was a bloody-thirsty tyrant until he encountered the Dharma. The message of the Third Noble Truth, the truth of the end of suffering, is that there is a way out. Only when we convince ourselves that there is not do we lose sight of the door marked "This way to the Noble Eighfold Path"!
    edited September 2005
    Hello Ivan, and hello Nathan....

Welcome to you both.... Hope you have no preconceived ideas of what Buddhism is or "should" be because you may well and truly have your illusions shattered... You can learn all you'll ever want to learn, on here, but you'll paradoxically rarely get the same response to one question, from all who post....we're a wonderfully diverse and mixed-age bunch here, but we all really get along very well. There have been disagreements - naturally, but never bad-tempered or angry, and there has never been a cross word....
    And you're right Ivan, most Buddhists are a happy bunch.... see my signature, and see for yourself.... You'll be glad to know it's not contagious - !! But I am constantly asked how and whyI manage to be so happy all the time....

Buddhism is one of the most positive things to have ever touched my life. It has transformed me and through my reading of books and chatting with my friends here, I reckon Life is pretty good.

Stick around guys... nice to have you on board.
  • edited September 2005
    welcome all!!!!! :woowoo: :mullet: