Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

1555657585961»

Comments

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Welcome Christopher, Jake, Jeremy, George, and Christiane!!!
  • SandalWoodSandalWood Explorer
    My name is Tim and I'm 60 yrs old, married, almost retired, living in the USA. I've always had an interest in Buddhism and I started to read and even joined another Buddhist Forum (e-Sangha) but it went belly-up (or something) right after I joined. I thought it was my fault.

Anyway, just looking to learn a bit more.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Bump. Unannounced this discussion so it would show on main page.
  • Name: Joe
    Sign: Pisces
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 170 lbs.
    Born: Colorado Springs,CO
    Currently: Colorado Springs, CO
    Favorite color: Red
    Favorite band: Several
    Favorite food: L&L Hawaiian BBQ (lol)
    Favorite movie: Fight Club
    Favorite book: Moonwalking With Einstein

Hello everyone! I kind of stumbled on this site while looking for information on buddism and found this site, read through and found that it was very helpful answering questions people such as myself had. A little about me I grew up Christian however even as a small child could not wrap my mind around the idea of an almighty being. As I grew older I strayed away from Christianity altogether. At 17 I joined the Army and this was my first run in with Buddhism. Not being educated on any religions other than christianity I was not aware there were demominations within Buddhism and without knowing became a member of the SGI. It wasnt till I served in Iraq (I was a computer tech, no killing) that I began to learn more about the Muslim, and other religions and began noticing a trend of intolerance and ignorance shared amongst many of the major religons. It was at this point in which I began noticing society as a whole were blind followers who did not question or had any ambition to better themselves or the world around them. When I came back I broke off from SGI and kind of went into a downward spiral due to events that unfolded back home while at war. It wasnt until this year I began to seek a more positive and healthy way of life. I quit smoking, drinking, and began working out again which has been doing wonders for my physical well being, but I have been lacking in mind and spiritual repair. I very much love the Buddhist faith and the teachings, SGI just wasnt for me. Im kind of in limbo trying to figure out where I belong. Spent the day reading and learning about Zen Buddism and I really am fond of the teachings and ideology I discovered. However I am willing to continue to learn and expand my horizons and I feel this forum and people in it will be able to aid me in the quest. Thank you for having me :).
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    (last) name: Vincenzi

started practicing the Dharma at age 19.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Talk about a delayed introduction, Vincenzi. This is usually where people new to the site introduce themselves before they become frequent posters (as you've been for some time now). :)
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Vincenzi reminded me that I never introduced myself formally here either... Late is better than never (It's only been 2 years):

Name: Johnathan
    Marital Status: Separated for 10 months, In a great relationship for 5 months
    Kids: 2 Boys (3/5)
    Sign: Capricorn
    Zodiac: Hare
    Hair: Blond
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 160 lbs.
    Born: Halifax, NS
    Currently: Truro, NS
    Occupation: Human Services Worker (Care for those with intellectually challenges in their homes)
    Time in Present Field: 13+ years
    Favorite color: White (not really a color but the absence of color)
    Favorite band: Metallica
    Favorite food: Spagetti and Meatballs
    Favorite movie:
    Favorite book: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Tradition: Undecided (A mix of Thai Forrest/Zen/Nyngma)

I discovered Taoism and Buddhism in my late teens, read about it, resonated with it but thats as far as I went. I then hit a period of seeking my spiritual identity in my early 30's... explored Humanism, Unitarian Universalism, Sufism, Stoicism, Naturalistic Pantheism and then back to Taoism and Buddhism. But again I was only just reading about them.

For the last 2 years I've been trying to practice and although sitting meditation is still very difficult for me (Diagnosed with Adult ADHD-PI last year) I have become much more mindful and observant of my own mind. Once I get a better handle on my symptoms I hope sitting meditation will become easier.
  • Hi Everyone,

My name is Alan and I live close to Sacramento, California. I'm 53 y/o and living with my beautiful fiancée, Monica, and our adorable dog (a Lab mix), Sandy. I've had a lifelong interest in Buddhism, but I admit that I've never pursued it more than superficially. I'm hoping that participation in this forum will give me incentive to deepen my involvement. Initially, Soto Zen was my preferred practice, but I'm currently drawn more to the Western Theravada (Insight Meditation) tradition. Over the years, I have also developed an interest in Stoic philosophy, which has some interesting parallels with Buddhist teachings. Rather than any serious spiritual transformation, I'm just focused on becoming calmer, more loving, more generous, and more at ease in my daily life.

Metta,
    Alan
  • A little about me.

Name: Joyce
    Currently Located: British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation: Mother (2 teenage daughters), Wife, and part-time bookkeeper from home.

I've tried meditation a few times over the years, but never made it a daily practice. I really started reading more about Buddhism when I quit drinking (almost) 17 months ago. It's always felt like "home", but never really put any of it to practice. So here I am. I've been trying to live life by the five precepts without knowing they were, indeed, the five precepts. They were just my moral rules for someone who hadn't lived a moral life for a couple of years. Now I'm learning about all things Buddhism and putting all into practice. I do find meditation difficult and at times uncomfortable, but understand it's importance. I'm grateful to have found this site.

<3
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Welcome @Still_Waters and @sobergirl! I hope you enjoy our little corner of the interweb :wavey:

And "welcome" to @johnathan, two years later :crazy:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Name: Leon or Leonid
    Sign: Taurus
    Hair: Light brown
    Eyes: Hazel
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 170
    Born: Russia, Ukraine, Kharkov
    Live: Bay Area, CA
    Favorite book: Buddhist Bible
    Favorite band: Reggae, Electronic, Oldies
    Favorite food: Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Favorite movie: Matrix, Liar/Liar, Yes Man,
    Favorite Color: Red, Blue, Green
  • @Cloud

I just found the thread :)

@johnathan

I'm Capricorn too :)
  • Hey All,

Just saying my first hello!

I'm trying to find my way back into Buddhism after a 3yr gap. my details are as follows:

Name: Matt
    Sign: Virgo
    Hair: blonde/brown
    Eyes: blue
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 14st
    Born: Wales, UK
    Live: South Wales
    Favorite book: bloody hard to say....Magician, His Dark Materials, 1984
    Favorite band: Nirvana, The National, Queen
    Favorite food: Spanish or Italian
    Favorite movie: Anchorman/Cinema Paradiso
    Favorite colour: Blue

My indecisiveness is blatantly apparent!

Cheers M
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @mogzino Welcome to the forum!
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    Hello and welcome, Christine, Tim, Joe, Vincenzi, Johnathan, Alan (I love dogs), Joyce, Leon and Matt.

Oldcomers and newcomers...
  • Hello and welcome to everyone. Glad to have so many voices on the board.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Hello Forum!
    New member, and very new to Buddhism, and am currently 'investigating' Buddhism for a better sense of general well being, on all levels. Also, from the little I so far know about Buddhism, the ideas seem (so far) very compatible with my own personal thoughts about life....
    A bit of general blurb about me:
    Female
    Married
    Live in London
    Full time artist and part time bar tender!
    LOVE CATS
    Taurus (study astrology, it will remain to be seen if astrology and Buddhism are compatible with each other...)
    Love all genres of music, especially Stevie Nicks, Live Blues and Melodic Trance
    Love all genres of films but my favourites are Ikiru, True Romance, Betty Blue, The Lives of Others, Together, Bagdad Cafe, BLACK, Mina Tannenbaum.
    Love to cook
    Love London but was brought up in the North of England.
    Look forward to conversing with you.
    Dandelion.
  • hi @Dandelion
    do you know what's deviantArt?

in vajrayana there's some astrology, AFAIK
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Hi Vincenzi. I have heard of deviantART although never investigated it, my understanding is that it`s an online creative community? I've been googling vajrayana, and have come across a book i'm interested in buying, so thankyou for stimulating my brain!
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Hello All.
    I am new to this forum so I will introduce myself. My name is Guion and I live in southern Pennsylvania. I'm 55 years of age, married and have 3 children and 3 grandchildren. About 12 years ago I was reading a Kerouac book called Dharma Bums and there was lots of talk about something called The Diamond Sutra. So I looked it up and read it. It seemed familiar to me for some reason I've never understood. I became interested in Buddhism and read some books and visited some temples and other places where I learned methods of meditation and was exposed to some Buddhist teachings. And it seemed to me that what I understood Buddhism to be was a very acceptable description of reality and also a very correct way of living one's life. I don't understand it all (what little bits I've been exposed to) but what resonates most deeply with me is non-duality (or what I think non-duality is). I understand descriptions are not reality so I reject Buddhism. I also understand understandings are only of my mind so I reject them as well. The moon is bright.
    edited July 2011
    @Dandelion

yes, it is an online community of graphic artists with some writers... but the emphasis is on graphic art.
    here's the link

@Gui

welcome.
    I don't understand the last part, about non-duality.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Welcome Gui, I am a fan of Kerouac as well. Its all of mind. Is what I understand.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Hello Dandelion & Jeffrey. Thank you.
    Well, I,ve been sitting here a while trying to come up with the words I need to explain what I mean. I am certain to fail. But I will try. I guess the best way to sum up what I mean by non-duality is that there is not more than everything. And everyday I try to focus on the everything. And it's not just the universe but everything that has happened and will happen. It's all our thoughts and actions and I don't feel apart from it all. Like Neil Young said, "It's all the same song." It's also realizing that I am (a legend in my own mind? hahaha) not what I think or pretend to be (although in my conventional life, I do have roles to be taken seriously) nor am I the many different versions of I that every other person has of me. I spent many years searching for the "me" who seems to want enlightenment and can't quite pin him down. I am here now, whoops-gone again! blah blah blah.
    But it's more than that. I had a wonderful experience 5 years ago when I had a heart attack and physically died for a little while. I don't like to call it a near death experience or anything really. But I flatlined twice and the second time I remember being in a indescribable state. There are not words for this except to describe the feelings I had of totality, complete peace, being home and being AWAKE like I never had been awake before. I had no physical sensations of any sort. And just before I found myself "back" on a gurney in the ER, I felt just in front of me and a little to the left the presence of "the me who isn't me". That's the only way I can put it. So I don't know if this is anything but what it is. I am most likely incorrect in calling all this non-duality on a Buddhist forum. But now I don't see any difference between life and death. Up or down. In or out. It seems to me that there is always sadness and always joy. Always love and always fear. I have a tattoo on my left arm that is a lotus with a snake in it. The lotus represents enlightenment and the snake represents the idea of enlightenment. This is to remind me that should I reach for enlightenment, I will surely be bitten. Well, I could go on and on but I would rather read what others have to say about more interesting things. Thank you for listening.
  • Hello - I'm new here.
    Male
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Married, no kids

I became interested in Buddhism about a year ago when I first stumbled upon the four noble truths. I've since read a handful of books that really convinced me that I'd like to try to follow the path, especially several by Thich Nhat Hanh. I am still a complete beginner: I don't have a real meditation routine and I don't know anyone who is a Buddhist. I struggle with some of the concepts in Buddhism that seem to me to be more "religious" than based on personal experience, if that makes any sense. I've also struggled in my efforts to give up meat and abstain from alcohol.

Anyway, I was excited to stumble upon this site and look forward to learning from all of you.
    edited July 2011
    @Charlie

welcome to newbuddhist.

by more "religious", do you mean practices or rituals? attachment to rituals are actually "frowned upon" in Buddhism.

you don't have to give up meat nor alcohol (just give up the consumption of alcohol to the point of making foggier the awareness).

for meat, you may just lower consumption... or stop eating red meat. but still, it is not a rule.
  • Rituals, yes, but mostly about some of the specifics of rebirth...it seems some traditions put a greater emphasis on this than others.

I know that both alcohol and meat are consumed by some Buddhists, but I do see some wisdom in completely giving both up - alcohol can fog the awareness and eating meat surely causes suffering to animals...
  • You should give up meat and alcohol if your able to. There is Cardinal sin if it takes time. But giving up both will improve your state of mind.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Welcome, folks! Don't be shy about starting your own new discussion. :)

• I find that a Buddhist practice called Vipassana helps a lot in life
    and you can apply it throughout the day
    it's mindfulness
    Newbies will sure find Samantha meditation and Vipassana to be very practical and helpful in life.... if you're not too into abstract deep philosophy for time being.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Even though I've been here for months, I haven't introduced myself.

Name: Jesse
    Sign: Aquarius
    Hair: Medium to Light Brown
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 230lbs
    Born: Wheeling, West Virginia
    Live: Morgantown, West Virginia (West Virginia University)
    Favorite book: The Stolen Child
    Favorite band: None (Alternative, Classical, Rock are preferred genres)
    Favorite food: Jeyuk Bokkeum (Korean|Spicy Pork Stir Fry)
    Favorite movie: Can't think of one (I have awful movie memory)
    Favorite colour: Green

I became Buddhist a few months ago. I don't know a lot of its history, but I'll have time to cover that. I think, in general, that I came to Buddhism because it coincided with what I already believed about much of reality. I should probably develop a routine sitting schedule, but I don't :/

I'm sure you can tell more about me from my posts than this little post.
  • @Yishai

welcome to newbuddhist :)
  • Name: Bryan Lee
    Sign: Libra
    Hair: Blonde
    Height:6'3
    Weight: 225
    Born: Washington D.C.
    Raiswd: Space Coast of Florida
    Live: Kuwait
    Favorite book: I am a fan of the secret but i skip the greedy parts
    Favorite band: my job requiers i work with bands so no fav really. At the moment Toy is getting a lot of ipod time
    Favorite food: Humus
    Favorite movie: Blow
    Maried: Negative
    Career: Entertainment Tour Producer

I will get back to you on me in more detail. Im riding shotgun in kuwait right now and not paying attention on the roads here driving or not is like ungee jumping with out checking the cord. I look forward to talking to all of you and hopefully learningva thing or two and making some new friends :)

• @Yishai

welcome to newbuddhist :)

Thank you, to you as well :)
  • @Bryanlee321

'welcome

isn't Kuwait too dangerous to live?

I like making and listening to music...
  • No, Kuwait is very safe. Relativly anyway. No fighting here. Music is amazing , right!
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    Hello Dandelion, Gui, Charlie, Jesse and Bryan.
  • Name: Viv
    Sign: Capricorn
    Hair: Long, brown, knotty
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: around 8 stone
    Born: Chichester, England
    Live: Norfolk, England
    Favorite book: I love books, couldn't list a favourite!
    Favorite band: Tallest Man on Earth, Tindersticks
    Favorite food: Roast potatoes
    Favorite colour: Yellow (for now)

I live in a small market town in Norfolk, England. I've been reading Buddhist books & meditating daily for about 4 months now and been going to a dharma study group for the past 8 weeks. This is run by a Triratna Buddhist Centre based in Norwich (about 45 miles from here). Although I am certain that the Buddha's path is the one I want to follow, I am not totally convinced about the Triratna community and would love to hear from others in the UK with experience of Triratna. The only other Buddhist centre within reasonable travelling distance is run by Kadampa.

Look forward to being part of this community :-)
  • Name: Lawrence/Larry
    Children: 3 girls 1 boy- all teenagers-ugh.... They are my guts.
    I do not subscribe to the zodiac, but I was born when the sun was aligned in 7th house with the 8th house rising and my moon full in the 12th house.

I am a Buddhist lurker/seeker. I am still getting the feel of the people who adhere to the Buddhist wisdom. That is part of why I am here.
  • Name: Lawrence/Larry
    Children: 3 girls 1 boy- all teenagers-ugh.... They are my guts.
    I do not subscribe to the zodiac, but I was born when the sun was aligned in 7th house with the 8th house rising and my moon full in the 12th house.

I am a Buddhist lurker/seeker. I am still getting the feel of the people who adhere to the Buddhist wisdom. That is part of why I am here.

I am very enthusiastic about getting to know all of you further and learning new and exciting world views. With much respect for all of you. SimpleWitness
  • Name: Rob
    New to the site and to Buddhism in general, I came here seeking answers after a bad relationship and I've been much happier ever since I began meditating :) Nice to meet you all.
  • Hi All,

I'm David. 30 Years old and trying to return to Buddhism. 5 Years ago my Mum passed away and after some searching I ended up at the Manchester Buddhist Centre (FWBO/Triratna). They helped me to no end. I took 2 Courses, attended meditation days and found it a great Sangha all round. I even found the structure interesting as it gave member different levels of practice and dedication. I then changed jobs and couldn't attend classes or many Sangha nights any longer and essentially lost touch. Since then my Wife and I have had a baby and I changed jobs to more sociable hours. Having a youngster has played havoc with my social life also and something has been missing these past few months.. I've realised I want to get back into Buddhism and take things further.

This was supposed to be a quick Hi! Not a Bio. :-) So Hi everyone!

David

• Hi all,
    I am Kay, I am 37 and a single mum to 2 boys aged 13 and 16. I live in Manchester, UK. I have just completed a degree in Psychology and Counselling and in September I commence training to be a mental health nurse with the good old NHS! I have had a pretty rough deal in life, the past 7 years have been bad. I lost my mum to cancer in sept 05 and my dad to liver failure (alcoholic) 6 months later in march 06, my grandad in june 07 and now my auntie has lung cancer and my 86 year old nan is battling thoart cancer! I have had terrible relationships and been cheated on, I got fed up of dwelling in self pity and 2011 has been an enlightening year.
    I had buddhism books for years, but they didn't make sense, seem applicable to my life until now. I bought a book by Pema Chondron and wham it all fell into place.
    I don't drink alcohol anyway, I have decided to remain single and spent time getting to know me, so buddhism is the path I am taking! I am really getting to grips with all this now and enjoying it. This forum I found last night looks amazing and I am lokking forward to meeting and chatting to you all x
  • @kayward2011 Hi Kay, Good to see a local :-)

David
  • Thanks rapidx!!
  • Hello all. My name is Brian. Came to share my experiences and learn from others. Thanks. Excited to get to know everyone. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Welcome everyone!