Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Man! This forum gets SO many new members almost every day! And that's only counting the ones who choose to introduce themselves. Cool.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know and learn from you guys.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hello,
    I am Shaku Shutoku, the name given to me when I was affirmed in the Buddhist Churches of Canada.

I am 47 years old and have been practicing Buddhism in some form or other for around 25 years. I am currently very involved in a Jodo Shinshu Temple, but I am also deeply influenced by Thich Nhat Hanh and also Soto Zen.

I am happy to have found this forum!
    edited April 2010
    I'm a newb here myself but let me say WELCOME anyway! I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited April 2010
    heya guys,

My name is Julien. I'm 26 and i've been practising buddhism on and off for about 8 years now...I was a member of e-sangh.com but that forum has been down for so long now....

Anyways,

I hope to get to know u guys a bit better of time!!!
    edited April 2010
    ps....why can't i see my profile picture in my posts??
    edited April 2010
    ps. ps. forget about it :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Welcome all newcomers. I hope you find something useful and fun here. And not necessarily in that order.....:)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited April 2010
    LOL Welcome guys :wavey: And back off lightwithin, I'm the official greeter here :p

All the blinkin' best,
    Jellybean ;)

P.S
    Happy International Dance Day
    edited April 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    LOL Welcome guys :wavey: And back off lightwithin, I'm the official greeter here :p

Hahaha, sorry if I jumped the gun on greeting him. Maybe you're getting rusty and a new greeter is in order! LoL, I'm just kidding of course. You do a great job at it.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hello all:)
    I am new here, having made a few posts but not having introduced myself. My name is Todd. I am 40 years old. I live in northern California. I have been an R.N. for the last 11 years, all of which I have worked in the ER. I met my wife in Germany (I was stationed in the army there for two years) in 1989. We were married in 1991, are still maried and have two young sons ages 4 and 6. In 1998 my wife and I went to see a movie. We went in the afternoon and had to wait about an hour for the next movie to start. To kill time we went to a bookstore. While browsing around i saw a hard cover book Zen and Japanese Culture. It was a realy cheap discounted book. I had an interest in Japanese culture so I picked it up. I knew nothing about Zen or Buddhism. Shortly thereafter I found myself reading this book with great interest, especially the Zen side of it. So that was my introduction to Buddhism. Since that time I had fits and starts with meditation practice, only really half doing it three or so times from 1998 till last year. It really had been a good 3 years that I even looked at Buddhism. Last year in October something clicked in me. I started looking at the ethics and practices of Samurai ( I have several by Cleary on this) and a lot it just kept coming back to Buddhism. I picked some of those old Buddhist books and realized my understanding was different. Whereas before it seemed I was trying to attain something and constantly conceptualizing thoughts and ideas regarding practice and Buddhism in general, I had let these notions go and just meditated not expecting anything. My understanding and relationship to Buddhism shifted dramatically for me. It seemed easier, more fruitful and in a very tangible way for me it has become truth. I practice not any more to have a good feeling practice or to escape my life's burdens, I practice as I have realized the deep truths inherent in the Buddha's teachings and have come to the realization that my life (the truth), all of it (the good and bad if you want to descibe it that way), is to be found right in front of me right now. I have accepted the totality of what is. This has been deeply liberating for me. The fruits of the Dharma (i am so far from enlightenment or anything else which is okay) shine through in my relationship with my family, my work, and myself. My heart has become more open, patient, compassionate, it is a wonderful thing I have learned, the ability to fully be and to give only comes when we set our illusions of self aside. Forgetfullness of self is rememberance of God. I think this poem states it well:
    Ironic, but one of the most intimate acts
    of our body is
    death.

So beautiful appeared my death –
    knowing Who then i would kiss,
    i died a thousand times before i died.

“Die before you die,” said the Prophet
    Muhammad.

Have wings that feared ever
    touched the Sun?

i was born when all I once
    feared - i could
    love.

- Rabia Basri, the highly acclaimed woman sufi saint of 8th century (717 - 801), may God sanctify her station
    http://www.mysticsaint.info/2007/10/die-before-you-die-poem-by-rabia.html
    Yours in the Dharma, Gassho to all here and all in this world,
    Todd
  • edited April 2010
    Hello :)

My name is Matt, I'm pretty much just starting out in Buddhism. I have studied many (lots and lots) of different religions and magickal traditions in the past, which I was proud of, being known as the Encyclopedia Magicka. Now that I'm entering my mid-30's I realize that it was all just a fashion show, so to speak, to get others to either fear or love me, now I don't care so much. I seek peace.

Anyway, I live near Detroit and I haven't been to any centers yet, but I plan on making the rounds this summer. I am currently listening to all of the dharma talks on BuddhaNet, and really enjoying the Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi intro to "The Buddhas Teachings As It Is."

Thanks and have a great day! :)
    Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Hmm I suppose I should have posted an intro :)

My name is.. not Rain, but you can call me Rain... and I live on the West coast of Canada. I'm happily-married, child-free, and an ex-Christian. well, to be more accurate, the majority of my adulthood was spent in Christianity, and the majority of my childhood was spent in Paganism.

I came to Buddhism for a number of reasons that are unimportant to anyone but myself; I've never been a fan of getting overly involved in my reasons to which path I take with anyone else, hopefully that doesn't come across as overly rude.

I continue to be a pantheist on top of Buddhist practices.. I try not spend a lot of time speculating over the tiny details, but I do believe there is more than meets the eye to our Universe.

I suffer from a severe anxiety disorder which impacts all areas of my life. I was a shut-in for a portion of my life (unable to even live in the world at all), but have improved greatly since then (I can hold a job.. barely.. and somehow I managed to get married to a great guy, bonus!); however, being a "well adjusted member of society" is still beyond my grasp. I do not have friends in the real world (I'm seem incapable of making/keeping them), and I have no contact with family (aside from my husband). I keep to myself, and it is to just exist on some days. Then again, I suppose that could be true of anyone.

Anyway.. the internet is my refuge socially. I have a large community of acquaintances online that mean the world to me, of all different walks of life.

Other random things: I work in an office, I'm dedicated to never raising any children (for a variety of reasons, the anxiety disorder one among many), and I have 5 piercings and 1 tattoo. I have one cat, and I love animals. If I could, I'd surround myself with nothing but animals.. and my husband ;) Sadly we live in a one-pet-per-unit complex. I love watching hockey (my husband plays), I play roller hockey, and love to rollerblade and ice skate. I write poetry, short stories, and I blog like there's no tomorrow. Edit: Oh! I also play MMORPGs like World of Warcraft.

And that's it really. :lol:
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Todd, Matt and Rain :wavey:

And lightwithin, if you like you are very, very welcome to be co-greeter ;)

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited April 2010
    Welcome Todd, Matt and Rain :wavey:

And lightwithin, if you like you are very, very welcome to be co-greeter ;)

All the best,
    Jellybean

I think I'll greet as the mood strikes, I can't commit to co-greeting full-time. LOL. But thanks for the nice offer. You don't need me anyway tho, you do a great job on your own.
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    You can get arrested for that.

LOL!!!! I just got that!!!:lol:
    edited April 2010
  • edited April 2010
    Hello,

(My apology if my English is wrong)
    I just got registrated at this forum. My name is Martin, I am 24 years old and I am from the Netherlands. For some years I have searched for a meaningful, sensefull and spiritual life. It has been hard for me to decide or feel what religion or philosophy would contribute to that search. I have been reading and listening about buddhism for quite some years. I have red books from the Dalai Lama and I felt blessed shaking his hand at his 2009 visit in Amsterdam. Recent weeks gave me the feeling that buddhism probaly would contribute to my spiritual desires and my personal happiness. I hope my interest and search in buddhism will give me a more stable mind, with less issues, less anger and even hatred. A happy, clearer mind and a better understanding and solving of problems and a compassionate, loving way of interacting in the world.

That's all I have to say right now. I hope this forum will contribute to my development and understanding and that it's a nice way of communicating with people.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hartelijk verwelkomd, Martijn!

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    Hoi Martijn,groetjes van Eric.
    Welcome to the site.
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you both Palzang and Eric. :)
    edited May 2010
    Helo Martin :wavey: Enjoy the forum!

All the best,
    in het eten soda gearomatiseerd jelly beans. I know weird Dutch :lol:
    the name's Jellybean BTW!
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you Love 'N' Peace...

To all: I am busy right now with my study, and I am reading about patience, a book from his Holiness the Dalai Lama. Very interesting. I will post a topic about it shortley.
    edited May 2010
    I'm reading The Art of Happiness, it's a good book :)

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited May 2010
    Welcome to the forum Martin. You seem to have found some fellow dutch speakers already, so that's certainly nice.

I don't know dutch myself but I still hope you enjoy the forums. See ya around man!
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks. Perhaps I can teach you ;)

One important conception is compassion. It's 'mededogen' or 'compassie' in Dutch. ;)
    edited May 2010
    Thanks. Perhaps I can teach you ;)

One important conception is compassion. It's 'mededogen' or 'compassie' in Dutch. ;)

Haha, between "mededogen" and "compassie" I'd go with compassie. Much easier to remember and pronounce.

Thanks for teaching me my first and very important word in dutch.
    edited May 2010
    My Dutch extends up to saying a poor hello, counting incorrectly to ten and telling I love them.

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Here's one for ya, Joe: gooie middag! But you have to say it like you were hocking up a loogie! (sorry, Eric and Martijn!)

Anyway, what I was trying to say before I was so rudely interrupted by our young friend here is, does "dogen" mean "feel"? So "mededogen" means something like "empathy"? Just curious.

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    'Dogen' actually means to admit or to allow. Admit is probaly the right connection. I guess admitting to experience the feelings of others. 'Mede' means other.

I guess it is not possible to make the right translation.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

Palzang
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi! My names John and I just happened across this site and it looks cool! So I joined. I have been practicing (on and off) since about 1996 or so. I practice Korean style Zen. :) Hi!!
    edited May 2010
    What up John? ;)

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Welcome John, I hope to learn from your experiences as a Korean Zen Buddhist if I understand it correctley.
  • edited May 2010
    Hey everyone - my name is Marty - I am on that cusp of going from "reading" to practice. I have been looking for a spiritual home online for some time now.
    Am just looking for a place where I can talk about my budding practice and feel comfortable.
    Anyway - I live in Phoenix - work in the auto business and volunteer by working with homeless and at risk youth (still learning a lot there).
    I am a film fanatic and I love to read. Also am currently fighting an addiction(attachment??) to iTunes.

Happy to be here. ;)
    edited May 2010
    Welcome to Marty and John. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in the forum. Look forward to seeing your posts around here.
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Willy Wonka! Crazy? Music? Films? Reading? Addicted? Are we related LOL! :D

All the best
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi Marty,

Welcome. I lived in Sedona for 11 years (until 2008), so I am somewhat familiar with the "Dharma scene" in Phoenix. I know there aren't very many centers for being a big city, though there are a few Zen places that looked interesting. Hope you can find some sustenance here!

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    Do they have cookie trees and flying pigs in Sedona Palzang?

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hello, everyone! My name is Lisa, and I joined this forum because I have been searching for a more meaningful and informative way to use my hours at work instead of checking Facebook updates every ten minutes.

I am not affiliated with any particular religion. I grew up seeking meaning in various organized religions, including Catholicism, Christianity, Paganism. I then declared myself an atheist and sought to live my life using brain power, rationalizing my intuitive urges, my feelings and emotions, and constantly judging the thoughts I'd have as "good" or "bad." This usually led to treating myself very badly in a ton of ways, leading to addictions, mental illness, and poor relationships. When one fights with themselves so often, it is only natural that their relationship with Earth and with others will also be a constant battle.

I experienced a very devastating breakup a little over a month ago, and realized that if I didn't attend to the needs of my spiritual Self, I'd never feel whole and wouldn't feel the strength that I knew was within me. I reread a book called, Living In the Light by an amazing woman named Shakti Gawain that had changed my thinking a few years ago, before a couple of tragedies in life hit and I reacted with old patterns.

Just before finishing the reread, a friend loaned me a book called Radical Acceptance: Embracing Life With the Heart of A Buddha. I can't remember who wrote it. I'm still reading and am loving this book! I've always admired various facets of Buddhism, however I believe that I never pursued much down this path because of my self-hating patterns. I was afraid to pursue a path pure of heart and mind, because I don't feel pure. I don't feel virtuous or good or kind most times. But, I'm learning to love myself more. I'm learning to accept whatever thoughts or feelings come to me, to nurture and love myself without judgment.

I hope to learn much from the members of this forum, and to help maintain my focus on loving myself without judgment. I hope that it's alright that I'm a member of this forum without really declaring myself a Buddhist.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I hope that it's alright that I'm a member of this forum without really declaring myself a Buddhist.

Of course you're welcome, Lisa... Buddhist or not! I hope you find what you're seeking, here and otherwise. :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Do they have cookie trees and flying pigs in Sedona Palzang?

All the best,
    Jellybean

Well, sort of. The flying pigs are actually flying javelinas, and the cookie trees are all poison!

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    :eek:

Welcome Lisa :wavey: I'm not a Buddhist either, I'm sure you'll feel very welcome here.

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Hello all! My name's Beth, I'm 27 years old (will be 28 on Friday!), and I recently started studying Buddhism. I'm currently reading Buddhism for Beginners by Thubten Chodron, and so far it's answered a lot of my questions about Buddhism. I think Buddhism will be a better fit for me than any of the religions I've tried in the past. I was raised Catholic, and spent my early college years as a Pagan, but neither really fit me well. I'm glad I found this forum - I'd like to meet more people who are learning about Buddhism as well! :)
    edited May 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    sought to live my life using brain power, rationalizing my intuitive urges, my feelings and emotions, and constantly judging the thoughts I'd have as "good" or "bad."

Your post touched me, because our stories are very similar. Brain power and reason couldn't fulfill my needs, and that's when I started learning more about Buddhism.
    I believe that I never pursued much down this path because of my self-hating patterns. I was afraid to pursue a path pure of heart and mind, because I don't feel pure. I don't feel virtuous or good or kind most times. But, I'm learning to love myself more. I'm learning to accept whatever thoughts or feelings come to me, to nurture and love myself without judgment.
    This specially hit home with me. You just described the way I STILL feel about myself perfectly. I am only just starting to love myself more and to see myself in a less judgemental way.
    I hope to learn much from the members of this forum, and to help maintain my focus on loving myself without judgment. I hope that it's alright that I'm a member of this forum without really declaring myself a Buddhist.
    There are a ton of very wise, understanding and caring people here, and they have welcomed me with open arms even if I don't really call myself a Buddhist yet either.

I am sure you'll find this forum to be a huge asset in your quest to find out more about Buddhism and to love yourself without judgement, just like I have.

Welcome Lisa and Beth, and enjoy your stay!

Santiago
  • edited May 2010
    Welcome to Marty and John. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in the forum. Look forward to seeing your posts around here.

Thanks! Looking forward to hanging out here.:D

Love'N'Peace - yeah - definitely crazy and addicted to film and music! Maybe we are related...

Palzang - yeah - pickins are slim but I am attending my first Dharma Punx meeting tomorrow night, at the Shambhala Center, kinda combines 2 of my favorite authors: Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche and Noah Levine.:lol:
  • edited May 2010
    Hello everyone. My name is Noona from Thailand.
    Actually,I am theravada Buddhist but I would like to learn a different aspect of Buddhism. I think this website will give a wider aspect of Buddhism. As my English is second language, sometimes I might not be able to write a proper English please forgive me. You guys can give me advices. Last but not least , I have to say thank you to Federica for your kind advice and greeting at first.

Thank you everyone

Noona
    edited May 2010
    LOL
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Your post touched me, because our stories are very similar. Brain power and reason couldn't fulfill my needs, and that's when I started learning more about Buddhism.

This specially hit home with me. You just described the way I STILL feel about myself perfectly. I am only just starting to love myself more and to see myself in a less judgemental way.

Santiago, thanks so much for letting me know that you can relate. It's a tough journey, but a necessary one, and each step forward builds a strong base of self-love.

I love your screenname; have you ever read a book called Living In the Light by Shakti Gawain? I think it'd be a great one for you. All about the light within :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Palzang - yeah - pickins are slim but I am attending my first Dharma Punx meeting tomorrow night, at the Shambhala Center, kinda combines 2 of my favorite authors: Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche and Noah Levine.:lol:
    That sounds great! I'm glad they have that group there. Trungpa has always been one of my favorites too.

Palzang