Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Where are all these people coming from? It's amazing!

I know! there are a few new members almost every day. It's crazy how fast this forum is growing. I'm still new myself.
    Is it just me or does it seem like there are an awful lot of ex-Catholics around? (Me included...). Or maybe ex-Catholics are just more prone to describing themselves that way than others.
    I don't know what it is but I feel alluded because I'm an ex-Catholic too. I've been agnostic for a long time, but I grew up going to church, first comunion, and all those things.

Boy, am I ever glad I got out of all that! :)

But yes, welcome everyone and enjoy the forums!
  • edited May 2010
    This is my first time to the site, but I am looking forward to peaceful interaction. I'm fairly new to Buddhist teaching, but find much of it resonates naturally with me. It is a personal goal to start meditating more, and this week I am starting yoga. I love the forum shell here because it is imbued with peacefulness.

In my profession I spend a significant amount of energy helping other people become more calm. I work with some special needs people including mental illness and disability as well as mainstream people who often struggle with anxiety or are healing from cancer or depression. They often come to me in a state of negativity and anxiety and I use my focus to calm them best i can. I have been accruing some increased inner anxiety from constant exposure to and concern for others. I need to find a way to let that dissipate through meditation because I've started having anxiety attacks myself.

I have a history of coming online as a way to connect with other people without too much pressure, but often find a great deal more anxiety and bickering happening between people. I usually have some empathy for both sides of the conflicts I when I read it, and it makes me a bit sad. I tend to deflect the online tension as well, or stay out of it, but find it only reinforces a negative anxiety deeper within myself. I thought to myself, "where might I find the most laid-back, peace-loving people online?", and thought this might be the place.

My new personal goal is to release that inner anxiety so that I can still be calming to others without internalizing any of the negative aspects of it. I've felt deep peace, but not consistently.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Welcome belisama :wavey: We have our arguments here, but don't worry, we have the best moderator :D

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    billw wrote: »
    Quick question about posting. I wrote my intro in a word document, copied and pasted it. I previewed it before I hit the submit button. There weren't any smiley's on it then. What caused them to be inserted in my text?

It's because Word documents have formatting codes in them that don't show up when you're looking at it in Word but which aren't compatible with this system, so you end up with smiley faces.

Welcome, btw!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi. I'm joining the forum, because there's not much of a buddhist community is Thelma, TX. It's a small town. I've read a few books. I used to think I was pretty hot stuff. Now I realize that I was just riding on a big ego trip. I am far from being a master.

But I want to keep practicing. Maybe if I had a nice sangha, I could do that.

I also need people to help me to stop being a jerk. In life, I am bad at recognizing when to shut up. I offend people. It usually ends with people exploding and telling me off in full flare, while I'm left wondering what happened.

My friends, on the other hand, a small group, tend to just tap me on the shoulder or cheek and remind me that I can get a little annoying sometimes. I'm glad I have friends like them. Usually, I'll be stunned for a few seconds, then I'll get a little embarrased as I realize what I've been doing. But I'll reel myself in.

I tell this too you, because I'm a flawed person. A few years ago, I gave every impression of an arrrogant, egotistical a-hole. I'm still learning how to have "beginner's mind". Well. Nice to meet you.

I would suggest that whatever you feel about yourself, just keep repeating this mantra: "I live in Texas. I live in Texas. I live in Texas." That will excuse any sin!

Where the heck is Thelma anyway? I know it's a big state, and frankly I saw more than enough of it when I was in the Air Force, but I never heard of that one.

Anyway, hope visiting here will help you keep some perspective.

Oh, I just looked it up. It's just south of San Antonio, yeah? That's where I went through basic at Lackland AFB. Didn't like San Antonio. But then I was not there under pleasant circumstances as I didn't want to be in the military at all! It was Vietnam time.

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    You were in the airforce Palzang!

MonksWithGuns.jpg

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yes, I was, Jellybean. No, I didn't carry a gun. Just H-bombs. (kidding!)

Actually I was a Russian linguist (it was the cold war, you know). It was also Vietnam, which is how I got in the military in the first place. In those days, they had an active draft in the US, and when I graduated from college, my name went to the top of the list to be called. I wasn't too happy about it, but what to do? I could have run off to Canada, but that didn't seem too productive. I could have refused and been sent to prison. I could have let them draft me, which in those days meant either the Army or the Marines, neither of which promised much of a future in those days. Basically cannon fodder. So I took the best course I could come up with, I volunteered for the Air Force, which meant I could choose what job I got. And I chose being a linguist, with Russian as my first choice, and my first choice of assignment being airborne and stationed in Japan. Got all three. So I came out of it pretty well. I got to fly around on RC-130 and RC-135 airplanes, got to see a fascinating country, and had some good fun doing it. Being in Japan also provided the link that got me really interested in Buddhism, which I then pursued when I got back home, and, well, look at me now!

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    Hi!

I am interested in Buddhism and starting to learn about it. I was watching The Buddha documentary on PBS and enjoyed it very much...I also have Buddhism for Dummies. I want to start from the beginning.

I am attempting to be more conscious and appreciate every passing moment, but sitting in church today, feeling grumpy and tired and wanting the service to end...well, I guess not every moment can be stellar. Maybe I'm just approaching it wrong!

Oh well, I will learn.

Nice to meet you all.

Ella
    edited May 2010
    Nice to meet you Ella :wavey:
    edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    look at me now!

No thanks, I've got to eat my breakfast today :p

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited May 2010
    You know that was actually quite interesting :D

Allz da bezzy,
    Jellz
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi there,

I'm a 20-year-old male from Denmark. I've just finished the Danish equivalent of high school, and will begin studying law this summer.

I like electronic music, philosophy, working out, politics and reading.
    I live in my country's second largest city with my girlfriend for six years and our cat.
    As a nerdy-yet-fulfilling hobby I rear ants - Lasius niger to be exact.

I'm new to Buddhism as well as this forum :) I do not think of myself as a Buddhist as much as buddhistic, in the sense that I do sympathize with the Buddhist world-view but do not "buy" everything the scholars have to teach, or everything I've read about the Dhamma. I've believed in a sense of rebirth for quite some time, as I accept as a fact that we die and our bodies decompose, ultimately giving nutrients to other living or unliving beings, thereby forever being part of an eternal system of nature. I believe that our universe will collapse and form a new universe again.
    On the other hand I accept core Buddhist teachings as The Four Noble Truths, The Noble Eightfold Path, Kamma/Karma and the possibility of reaching a state which can be called Nibbana or Nirvana. I'm a rational realist, and as such do not accept any explanations or notions of a metaphysical nature.

I discovered Buddhism a while ago when reading about meditation. I can be a hothead, and somewhere read that meditation is an effective cognitive therapy, which might alter brain- and thought-patterns. I wanted to give it a shot. I read about Buddhist meditation on buddhamind.info and buddhanet.net. I got interested and read everything on the sites, as well as on wikipedia and some other sites - I even dusted off my to old books about world religions and read about Buddhism. The meditation has really helped me, and I've even gone "as far as" slowly implementing Buddhist teachings in my everyday life.

That's enough for one rabble,

over and out :)
  • edited May 2010
    Buddhistic... what a fantastic word!!! I think I'm "Buddhistic" too.. LOL

Welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie :)
  • edited May 2010
    Hi everyone! Thought I'd use this format other people were using and introduce myself.

Name: "Jav" or Javelin
    Sign: Scorpio
    Hair: Brown, close-cropped
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 180lbs
    Born:/Live: USA
    Favorite book: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    Favorite band: Killswitch Engage
    Favorite food: General Tso's Chicken mmm
    Favorite movie: The Fifth Element
    Favorite color: Black (I know, not a color)

And I had a question if anyone can help. Does anyone know of a good down-loadable book on Zen, like that they've read and can recommend as opposed to me just going to random websites and stuff? Thanks.
    edited May 2010
    Welcome ficus and Jav :wavey: I love the name Javelin :D

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Welcome ficus and Jav :wavey: I love the name Javelin :D

All the best,
    Jellybean

:)
  • edited May 2010
    Hello. Recently had some life events occur that caused me to begin re-exploring my spiritual side. Asked a Buddhist friend from another forum some questions and was directed here.
  • edited May 2010
    Of course I find this thread after posting a "New here" thread in general banter. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Hello Friend.
    Nice to see you here. I'm pretty new myself , maybe we can learn something together.
    a.k.a. AnnK
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you for introducing me to here.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Of course I find this thread after posting a "New here" thread in general banter. :)

For shame!! Just kidding :) Welcome onewiththirst. I hope you find rich waters to drink from and find contentment.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    welcome
    one advice i give to you though before entering into the Dragon's Lair is watch out for the christians that are lurking in the shadows on here- you'll see them when you smell something rotting
    edited May 2010
    LOL, welcome :wavey: and don't worry. We'll just pin up your post near the top so people can look at you in shame :p

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Welcome! I've been here less than a month and already feel very welcome. The people on this site are great!
    edited May 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Welcome! I've been here less than a month and already feel very welcome. The people on this site are great!

Very true. The people here have been really nice since I joined the forum. You'll enjoy it here I'm sure.
  • edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Where the heck is Thelma anyway? I know it's a big state, and frankly I saw more than enough of it when I was in the Air Force, but I never heard of that one.

Palzang

Palzang I think it's very near Louise :lol:

sorry I couldn't resist the temptation :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Wow!!

Where are all these people coming from? It's amazing!

Is it just me or does it seem like there are an awful lot of ex-Catholics around? (Me included...). Or maybe ex-Catholics are just more prone to describing themselves that way than others.

Just pondering....

Welcome all newcomers! It's lovely to meet you all and hear your stories.

I'm wishing you all great peace, joy, and spiritual development. :)

I was raised Catholic. Not currently practicing, but not willing to say ex- either.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I finally discovered the answer/s to almost every question (about life) I have ever asked. I will be brief here as this is my first post and it's late at night and almost time for bed. But it really is a beautiful thing to come upon the teachings/map/path of Buddhism. Being raised Catholic, something I never believed in, even as a child, was quite an experience. But I would like to leave that entire experience behind me now, and move onto something more practical, workable and something that makes so much sense..... Buddhism. I am 40 yo now and keep finding myself saying things like, "why didn't i discover this in my 20's. life would have been much less complicated."

anyway, when I feel fresher and better able to communicate I will delve deeper into my story. Nice to meet you all.......
  • edited May 2010
    maybe you weren't ready?

It took me 48 years to be ready to embrace the teachings of The Buddha!

by the way, I just noticed you are in Massachusetts as well cool. What town are you in? I'm in Seekonk, MA. Feel free to PM me and we can chat about local resources.

Also, you may want to add a thread in the New Members Intro page here:

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486

Ivan
  • edited May 2010
    Hi and welcome!

Glad that you've found Buddhism and looking forward to hearing more from you.
    edited May 2010
    Well it'd make sence, Catholicism is the most widely followed sect of the most widely followed religion. Although soon Buddhism will have all the followers! Mwahaha! Mwahahah! Mwahahahah! :wtf: Why am I saying this? I'm not even Buddhist! :confused: oh well :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
  • edited May 2010
    Welcome aboard the Buddha-Boat chanratt! Get some rest and then maybe you'll get into some interesting conversations here. :)

One thing I find interesting is that Buddhism teaches a lot of things that are also taught by our sciences. As strange as it may seem, people don't seem to innately 'believe' what science clearly shows. Such an example can be 'cause and effect' as the reason why things happen, which Buddhism describes as Dependent Arising/Origination.

We usually think of the scientific viewpoint as one of non-belief and/or atheism, but it's just as much an issue of belief or non-belief as religion. In this regard, Buddhism and science seem to be on the same page, reinforcing each other and creating a less-fuzzy picture of reality.
  • edited May 2010
    Name: Josh
    Sign: Taurus
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 140 lb
    Born: Canada
    Live: USA

Yo. I am new to Buddhism and joined to hopefully learn more about it. This looks like a friendly community and hope to become active here! :)
  • edited May 2010
    Hi there all the new members,

Welcome to the group !

Looking forward to reading your posts.:)

edited May 2010
    Welcome Josh :wavey:

All the best,
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010
    Name: Gary
    Sign: Cancer
    Hair: Brownish
    Eyes: Blueish
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 140 lb
    Born: London
    Live: Scotland

Hi I'm new to the forum and Buddhism, although I have had an interest in Buddhism on and off, mainly off for 15 years but I keep being drawn back.
    I'm married with a young family and have a typically busy lifestyle, I would be really interested to know how others make time for practising meditation in their busy lives. I look forward to learning from you all.
    Kind regards.:)
    edited May 2010
    Helloish Gary :wavey:

All the best,
    Nickidoodle
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I say we elect Nickidoodle as our official site greeter... He seems to be doing an outstanding job already :-)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    I say we elect Nickidoodle as our official site greeter... He seems to be doing an outstanding job already :-)

Only if he agrees to wear a silly little hat and wear a name tag.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    Palzang I think it's very near Louise :lol:

sorry I couldn't resist the temptation :rolleyes:

I actually considered making a joke like that - but then I decided most people don't know who Thelma and Louise are anyway!

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »

Go back a few pages on this thread and you'll see that Nickidoodle, has appointed himself as forum greeter already. The position fits him well and he does great at his job. I was offered CO-greeting work by him, but I turned it down in favor of freelance greeting (or greeting as the mood strikes, lol).
    edited May 2010
    A name tag and a silly hat? Sign me up! I have the most wondeful olive green farm cap that was worn by a man who fought in the army and it's very tatty! And I've never been official anything before (well, not anything the majority feel is good :o)

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010
    Hey everybody -- I'm your n00b.

I'm 23, married with our first child on the way, and currently am serving in the US Army (Military Police Corps). I was stationed in Fairbanks, AK, for three years (unfortunately I missed two Rinpoches visits due to my work schedule) and have just moved to Central Texas for my final duty station (I no longer desire this work). I've been interested in Buddhism since I was about 17. I no longer have a daily meditation practice but I will start again.

So yeah, that's a bit about me. I'm looking forward to learning and conversing with you all :)
  • edited May 2010
    Hey Cole. Best wishes to your budding family. I guess we will see more of you around!
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Cole, I'm a n00b too :) Congratulations on your new baby! "See" you around!
    edited May 2010
    Welcome Cole, I figured since the other Noob's were saying hi, I would too... Hi :-)
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Name: Cornell
    Sign: Gemini
    Hair: salt and pepper
    Eyes: hazel
    Height: 6 ft
    Weight: 185
    Born: Belfast, northern Ireland
    Live: Clinton, Massachusetts, USA
    Favorite book: mostly non fiction war
    Favorite band: at my age you dont really have a fav anymore, but mostly hard rock
    Favorite food: ill eat anything
    Favorite movie: Apocalypse Now, LOTR, Matrix, kill bill, star wars 4,5,6

I usually don't post stuff about 'me' but i found other peoples' journeys Buddhism really helpful. so i thought i would share some of mine also.
    i was raised a roman catholic like a lot of people here on this forum seem to have been, but the last time i can actually remember believing any of it, i was probably 10 or 11. in my teens i became interested in astrology and a lot of new age stuff through music and the crowd i was hanging around with. i was having nothing to do with catholicism because, apart from not really believing a word of it anymore, religion represented hatred and trouble due to the 'civil war' that was the backdrop to my youth.

as i got into my 20s i tried out a few different things - thelema, Scientology to name but a couple, but nothing ever made sense to me. magick was too hard to grasp and Scientology? well, i quickly realized why some people spell it like $cientology. it wasn't until my early thirties that i started to read about Buddhism via some stuff i was reading on ken Wilbur and meditation at the time. I started to meditate and just as i was getting somewhere, a divorce happened and threw me over the edge for a few years. i wasn't happy, drinking too much, hating everybody and really going nowhere fast. I met my current wife a few years ago who already had some children (2 boys), then we had one together.

well, all that settled me down again and i began to search after, believe it or not, reading the lost symbol by Dan brown. he reignited my passion for spirituality and i started reading up on quantum and string theory, wilbur, and a lot of far out Stargate and noetic science stuff. but everything that i came across always pointed back to Buddhism...even if the author just threw a mention in here or there, i realized that that's where all the signposts were pointing to.....
  • edited May 2010
    Jade
    Sign: Cancer
    Hair: brown
    Eyes: pitch black
    Height:1 metre 59 cm
    Weight: 45kg
    Born:South Africa
    Live: South Africa
    Favorite book: Doesnt read much books
    Favorite band: Good Charlotte, and Somple Plan
    Favorite food: Anything Japanese
    Favorite movie: Doesnt watch much tv
    Favorite colour: Green

Well, Im very young, and my three best friends are Buddhist, I use to be Wiccan, but my life went all messed up, I use to curse alot, and be quite "perverted" but then my friend changed, and became a Buddhist, he explained alot to me, so I decieded to learn more about Buddhism..... and that's how i got here. :)
  • edited May 2010
    chanratt wrote: »
    Name: Cornell
    Sign: Gemini
    Hair: salt and pepper
    Eyes: hazel
    Height: 6 ft
    Weight: 185
    Born: Belfast, northern Ireland
    Live: Clinton, Massachusetts, USA
    Favorite book: mostly non fiction war
    Favorite band: at my age you dont really have a fav anymore, but mostly hard rock
    Favorite food: ill eat anything
    Favorite movie: Apocalypse Now, LOTR, Matrix, kill bill, star wars 4,5,6

I usually don't post stuff about 'me' but i found other peoples' journeys Buddhism really helpful. so i thought i would share some of mine also.
    i was raised a roman catholic like a lot of people here on this forum seem to have been, but the last time i can actually remember believing any of it, i was probably 10 or 11. in my teens i became interested in astrology and a lot of new age stuff through music and the crowd i was hanging around with. i was having nothing to do with catholicism because, apart from not really believing a word of it anymore, religion represented hatred and trouble due to the 'civil war' that was the backdrop to my youth.

as i got into my 20s i tried out a few different things - thelema, Scientology to name but a couple, but nothing ever made sense to me. magick was too hard to grasp and Scientology? well, i quickly realized why some people spell it like $cientology. it wasn't until my early thirties that i started to read about Buddhism via some stuff i was reading on ken Wilbur and meditation at the time. I started to meditate and just as i was getting somewhere, a divorce happened and threw me over the edge for a few years. i wasn't happy, drinking too much, hating everybody and really going nowhere fast. I met my current wife a few years ago who already had some children (2 boys), then we had one together.

well, all that settled me down again and i began to search after, believe it or not, reading the lost symbol by Dan brown. he reignited my passion for spirituality and i started reading up on quantum and string theory, wilbur, and a lot of far out Stargate and noetic science stuff. but everything that i came across always pointed back to Buddhism...even if the author just threw a mention in here or there, i realized that that's where all the signposts were pointing to.....

lol, my mum has read a few books by Dan Brown, including The Lost Symbol, but she isn't that interested in spirituallity, she is an athiest.
    edited May 2010
    WhiteLotus wrote: »
    lol, my mum has read a few books by Dan Brown, including The Lost Symbol, but she isn't that interested in spirituallity, she is an athiest.

WhiteLotus... It is a fallacy to make the statement that since one is an atheist they have no interest in spirituality... Those two things have nothing to do with each other... Granted I'm sure that many atheists have no interest in spirituality but many of us do...

Oh, and BTW I love Dan Brown... So far I've read Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons, Deception Point, The Da vinci Code and hope to soon get my hands on a copy of The lost Symbol.