Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

obsession with posture

FenixFenix Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
I have an obsession it feel´s with the way to sit in meditation. It really bugs me all the time and I imagine I can´t be totally wrong.

When I meditate I feel like I'm pretending to meditate. Then I try to sit relaxed with a supportive posture, which I eventually lose it and just slump.

What feeds my idea of this is also that Zen emphasises on having a straight back. How come other traditions don´t stress this point?

This really stresses me out. It should be so simple, but its not. I always feel like Im making this real effort to sit like its some kind of performance and then it starts all over again.

Comments

• FenixFenix Veteran
    I think I´ll try kneeling posture for a while, but I imagine that its not really the posture
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the point is to use the body to help bring more awareness in the mind.

if it is bothering you, then cut it out and just pay attention to the mind.
    also get a zafu cushion and sit burmese. we set our bodies up to keep them from distracting us in meditation and potentially creating a nice foundation so we can have longer meditation. that is all.

also if you are doing zazen following a zen practice. don't make meditation into a goal orientated task. it is all about the process. zazen itself is the goal. whether the mind is going insane or you're blissed out. there are no hierarchies in zazen. just sit and watch. that is all.

have fun!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Wonderful thread.
    As I don't sit on the floor.
    I sit on a chair, specifically a recliner?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You do realise there is 'walking' meditation, 'washing-up' meditation, 'painting the room' meditation and 'cleaning the car' meditation?

There is also 'cleaning the windows' meditation, 'sweeping the drive' meditation, 'standing in the rain' meditation and 'polishing the family silver' meditation?

Am I being funny or facetious?
    No, I most certainly am not.
    Ever heard of 'Fetch water, chop wood'?

Meditative practices, the same either before or after enlightenment....
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    If your lower body is in a position that allows your pelvis to be tilted slightly forward, sitting with a straight back actually becomes the most comfortable position, especially for longer periods. So the key is to not force yourself into lotus, half lotus, our even burmese, unless your legs are flexible enough. Most people, including myself despite years of yoga, find it easiest to use the seiza position, with our legs tucked under and sitting on our feet. Cushions and stools can also be a great help. The key is to be comfortable enough that a straight back isn't an issue. With a straight back you will breathe better and feel better.
  • What feeds my idea of this is also that Zen emphasises on having a straight back. How come other traditions don´t stress this point?

I think they do actually. Keeping a straight back really does seem to help - it opens the chest which makes breathing easier, also it helps to keep you alert and awake.

Spiny
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If your lower body is in a position that allows your pelvis to be tilted slightly forward....
    Actually, you mean 'backwards'.
    If you tilt the pelvis forwards, you actually accentuate the renal/lumbar cavity, and put even more of a strain on that area.

What you're aiming to do is to point the coccyx straight down, which entails tucking it under slightly. This straightens the lumbar region, creating a pull between the lumbar vertebrae and easing the pressure of weight in that region. Hence, the pelvic basin actually tilts backwards....

:)

• FenixFenix Veteran
    You do realise there is 'walking' meditation, 'washing-up' meditation, 'painting the room' meditation and 'cleaning the car' meditation?

There is also 'cleaning the windows' meditation, 'sweeping the drive' meditation, 'standing in the rain' meditation and 'polishing the family silver' meditation?

I think I disagree? there was someone here that told a story about a monk asking could he smoke when meditating from another monk and he was told that he definetly could not. Then he came back the next day and asked could he meditate when he smoked and the other monk said of course.

I think the same is here that there is being aware of doing things as in "cleaning the windows" etc. But then also there is "Meditation" which is sitting still with a straight back if you will
    Wonderful thread.
    A recliner??! I at least find when sitting that my mind is totally clouded and dosing off even when Im slightly slumped. I dont sit on the floor either, I sit in an old office chair.

I feel I cant cause I can only "hear" my bad posture if that makes any sense.

@Daozen I think Ill try tonight to start and do seiza.

It´s so disturbing that it´s come into my everyday life that I cant pay attention in class, I cant converse with people I cant enjoy my food, life, sitting on the train, you name it without thinking I need to sit straight

• FenixFenix Veteran

I think they do actually. Keeping a straight back really does seem to help - it opens the chest which makes breathing easier, also it helps to keep you alert and awake.

Spiny
    I had an online meditation course and there the teacher said to me too that the chest should be open. but mine is never cause im so slumped

I think I disagree?
    Then take it up with Thich Nhat Hanh. It's his method and instruction of meditation, not mine. He is a Zen monk too....

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    When this obsession arises try visualizing crumpling it up and throwing it out of your mind, then take a deep breath and relax into your body. Keep doing this over and over and hopefully the distraction will decrease over time.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Just sit, that's all you gotta do. I think it matters very little what posture you take, it's how you keep your mind. As Federica pointed out meditation can be everything that you do.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    When this obsession arises try visualizing crumpling it up and throwing it out of your mind, then take a deep breath and relax into your body. Keep doing this over and over and hopefully the distraction will decrease over time.
    Is it a mere distraction?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Wonderful thread.
    Interesting. Some of my most "successful" meditation sessions were, likewise, in a recliner in the dark.

• aMattaMatt Veteran

It´s so disturbing that it´s come into my everyday life that I cant pay attention in class, I cant converse with people I cant enjoy my food, life, sitting on the train, you name it without thinking I need to sit straight

Your mind has far too much gravity toward "posture"! :) I can understand the desire to be properly meditating, though, and remember going through a phase where it seemed to be of dire importance. It sounds like you're using your cultivating awareness in an obsessive way. Relax!! Sitting or slouching or dancing or jumping makes no difference to the practice... especially when off the cushion.

Perhaps you could try some of the meditations Fed pointed out. When you notice your body not straight, just think "yep, this body is not straight" and continue cleaning your car out in the rain or whathaveyou. Breathe, like during sitting meditation, but get out of your chair. Obsessions are worth disassembling, even though they require effort.
  • There is nothing 'wrong' per se with any posture. It is just easier to stay alert in some postures rather than others.

I have a serious heart condition and am currently being treated for anaemia too. I tire very easily so I vary my postures. When I'm well and have energy I sit on my cushion, when I'm not well I sit in bed or lying down. You can stop yourslef falling asleep with discipline and attention.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I'm not too worried about it. I don't care much for posture at all. I just sit in a way that is comfortable, but not so comfortable that I fall asleep. I also sit in a way that does not tire out any of my muscles so I can hold still for a long time. Also need to make sure my legs don't fall asleep.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited June 2011
    How do you remove tension from the lower part of your abdomen. Theres like this slight tension there which is restricting my breath.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol make your bad posture an object of meditation. watch it.

for the abdomen, you need to start breathing from there through the day and while you meditate. it will loosen on its own as you relax.
    Is it a mere distraction?
    Probably, I can't sit and watch you meditate, but from what you've said it seems to be mostly a mental hang-up. Once you've figured out the proper posture just use it and try not to worry about it. The Buddha isn't going to stop you from attaining some peace of mind because your posture isn't perfect, nor will he reward you if its good. Posture isn't the goal of meditation its just one of the tools.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    If your lower body is in a position that allows your pelvis to be tilted slightly forward....
    Actually, you mean 'backwards'. If you tilt the pelvis forwards, you actually accentuate the renal/lumbar cavity, and put even more of a strain on that area.

What you're aiming to do is to point the coccyx straight down, which entails tucking it under slightly. This straightens the lumbar region, creating a pull between the lumbar vertebrae and easing the pressure of weight in that region. Hence, the pelvic basin actually tilts backwards....

:)
    Hi Fede, no, i definitely meant forwards. Try sitting with a big slump in your lower back, then sit up, and your pelvis tilts forward. The "tucking in" movement of the cocyx that you describe does move it back slightly, but this is a much more subtle final adjustment at the end; i was more addressing the OP's main slumping issue.

Namaste

• santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi Fenix.

Have you tried to change the atmosphere? Try meditating in different places and change the scenery or your surroundings a bit. After a while, you will come back to meditating where it comes to you easiest.

metta
  • How do you remove tension from the lower part of your abdomen. Theres like this slight tension there which is restricting my breath.
    This happens when your breaths are too short, and your posture is constricting your breathing. Take 3 very long and very deep breaths before meditating. Hope this helps.

metta

• You do realise there is 'walking' meditation, 'washing-up' meditation, 'painting the room' meditation and 'cleaning the car' meditation?

"I think I disagree? there was someone here that told a story about a monk asking could he smoke when meditating from another monk and he was told that he definetly could not. Then he came back the next day and asked could he meditate when he smoked and the other monk said of course.

I think the same is here that there is being aware of doing things as in "cleaning the windows" etc. But then also there is "Meditation" which is sitting still with a straight back if you will"

sitting meditation is zazen. There are all sorts of ways to be mindful and calm-minded that can be considered meditation.
    Wonderful thread.
    Interesting. Some of my most "successful" meditation sessions were, likewise, in a recliner in the dark.

Yep!
    I have reached far beyond all by sitting at that recliner.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't always do it, but I would say 80% is on the recliner at 30 min a session.

So true!
    Working meditation, eating meditation, washing meditation and the list goes on!:)
    Thanks for the reminder!

I think I disagree? there was someone here that told a story about a monk asking could he smoke when meditating from another monk and he was told that he definetly could not. Then he came back the next day and asked could he meditate when he smoked and the other monk said of course.

I think the same is here that there is being aware of doing things as in "cleaning the windows" etc. But then also there is "Meditation" which is sitting still with a straight back if you will
    Wonderful thread.
    A recliner??! I at least find when sitting that my mind is totally clouded and dosing off even when Im slightly slumped. I dont sit on the floor either, I sit in an old office chair.

I feel I cant cause I can only "hear" my bad posture if that makes any sense.

@Daozen I think Ill try tonight to start and do seiza.

Could you add onto this point: I think I disagree? there was someone here that told a story about a monk asking could he smoke when meditating from another monk and he was told that he definetly could not. Then he came back the next day and asked could he meditate when he smoked and the other monk said of course.

Just sit, that's all you gotta do. I think it matters very little what posture you take, it's how you keep your mind. As Federica pointed out meditation can be everything that you do.
    All the best,
    Todd
    Sit down and shut up, basically:)

Your mind has far too much gravity toward "posture"! :) I can understand the desire to be properly meditating, though, and remember going through a phase where it seemed to be of dire importance. It sounds like you're using your cultivating awareness in an obsessive way. Relax!! Sitting or slouching or dancing or jumping makes no difference to the practice... especially when off the cushion.

Perhaps you could try some of the meditations Fed pointed out. When you notice your body not straight, just think "yep, this body is not straight" and continue cleaning your car out in the rain or whathaveyou. Breathe, like during sitting meditation, but get out of your chair. Obsessions are worth disassembling, even though they require effort.
    My question is....When one is outside in the real world and one meditates. Does he do the same thing as he does on the cushion? And that is breathing/focusing on breathe and being mindful?
    I'm not too worried about it. I don't care much for posture at all. I just sit in a way that is comfortable, but not so comfortable that I fall asleep. I also sit in a way that does not tire out any of my muscles so I can hold still for a long time. Also need to make sure my legs don't fall asleep.
    Do you stretch before you meditate?
  • There is also 'cleaning the windows' meditation, 'sweeping the drive' meditation, 'standing in the rain' meditation and 'polishing the family silver' meditation?

I would think of those as more to do with developing mindfulness than with developing concentration.

Spiny
    Is Meditation not developing Mindfulness?
  • My question is....When one is outside in the real world and one meditates. Does he do the same thing as he does on the cushion? And that is breathing/focusing on breathe and being mindful?
    I think there's a difference between carrying out daily activities in a mindful way, and using mindfulness of the breath ( for example ) to develop concentration in formal sitting practice.

Spiny
  • Is Meditation not developing Mindfulness?
    Yes, sitting meditation is good foundation for mindfulness "off the cushion". But mindfulness on the cushion is being used in a different way - see my previous post.

Spiny
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "Sit up straight!"
    "If you lean back in that chair again, I'm making you stand at the table!"

I grew up in a Midwest US culture that was obsessed about posture, especially for young men and ladies. Slumping was the worst thing you could do. It showed a problem with attitude and was supposed to lead to some sort of deformity later in life. We watched those "health movies" in school where well behaved kids who would get beat up at recess in real life politely sat straight up, legs uncrossed, hands on their lap. Cartoon spines would illustrate the terrible damage not sitting properly would do. Maybe not so much taught, now.

Most cultures have this thing about posture, taught to proper young children, and you want to know the roots? It's because the poor and those forced into a lifetime of manual labor have bad backs and walk around stooped. If you carried heavy loads or bend over planting crops or even doing bookkeeping all your life, you couldn't help showing the lifetime injury to your spine. So a straight back was a sign of status. That's all there is to it. It's the same way dark skin used to mean lower status, because those people had to work under a hot sun every day. Only in California did it get flipped, to where a good tan showed you were wealthy enough to lay around on the beach all day instead of keeping your clothes on working indoors.

So let's talk about the dreaded lotus posture. For the West, it would be better if we had left that floor sitting in the East, where it's just the natural way to sit down. No chairs, you know. Someone from Korea or Japan doesn't grit their teeth while their legs scream in agony any more than we find sitting on a kitchen chair uncomfortable. So that monk on the floor with his feet twisted up onto his thighs? That's the same as you sitting on a comfortable bench.

So the neglected part of meditation for the West, why we get it wrong, is that the first rule should be, "Get comfortable!" Sure, there's theory about chakras and energy flow and such. Blood flow and not doing damage to the nerves in your legs should trump that.

But we see all those pictures of Buddha sitting in lotus, and we want desperately to do that. And some of us, blessed with limber bodies or the physical training to do so, happily twist into a pretzel and make it look easy.

Meditate. Get comfortable, breath using your abdomen, and sit or lie quietly, doing nothing. If even sitting still hurts, a quiet walk around the park while meditating. Don't try to walk where you might get hit by traffic or trip over something. Chant or no chant, count breaths or not, what you are doing is learning how to pay attention. You're taking a break from the distractions of life to just observe what it means to live. If your legs are screaming at you in pain, then find another way to sit. You already know what pain feels like. That's not why you're meditating.

"Sit up straight!"
    "If you lean back in that chair again, I'm making you stand at the table!"

I grew up in a Midwest US culture that was obsessed about posture, especially for young men and ladies. Slumping was the worst thing you could do. It showed a problem with attitude and was supposed to lead to some sort of deformity later in life. We watched those "health movies" in school where well behaved kids who would get beat up at recess in real life politely sat straight up, legs uncrossed, hands on their lap. Cartoon spines would illustrate the terrible damage not sitting properly would do. Maybe not so much taught, now.

Most cultures have this thing about posture, taught to proper young children, and you want to know the roots? It's because the poor and those forced into a lifetime of manual labor have bad backs and walk around stooped. If you carried heavy loads or bend over planting crops or even doing bookkeeping all your life, you couldn't help showing the lifetime injury to your spine. So a straight back was a sign of status. That's all there is to it. It's the same way dark skin used to mean lower status, because those people had to work under a hot sun every day. Only in California did it get flipped, to where a good tan showed you were wealthy enough to lay around on the beach all day instead of keeping your clothes on working indoors.

So let's talk about the dreaded lotus posture. For the West, it would be better if we had left that floor sitting in the East, where it's just the natural way to sit down. No chairs, you know. Someone from Korea or Japan doesn't grit their teeth while their legs scream in agony any more than we find sitting on a kitchen chair uncomfortable. So that monk on the floor with his feet twisted up onto his thighs? That's the same as you sitting on a comfortable bench.

So the neglected part of meditation for the West, why we get it wrong, is that the first rule should be, "Get comfortable!" Sure, there's theory about chakras and energy flow and such. Blood flow and not doing damage to the nerves in your legs should trump that.

But we see all those pictures of Buddha sitting in lotus, and we want desperately to do that. And some of us, blessed with limber bodies or the physical training to do so, happily twist into a pretzel and make it look easy.

Meditate. Get comfortable, breath using your abdomen, and sit or lie quietly, doing nothing. If even sitting still hurts, a quiet walk around the park while meditating. Don't try to walk where you might get hit by traffic or trip over something. Chant or no chant, count breaths or not, what you are doing is learning how to pay attention. You're taking a break from the distractions of life to just observe what it means to live. If your legs are screaming at you in pain, then find another way to sit. You already know what pain feels like. That's not why you're meditating.
    Good points. Maitreya Buddha (the next Buddha) is generally depicted as sitting a chair.

• FenixFenix Veteran
    How do you stop tensing your jaw? I have no control over it
  • Do you grind your teeth while meditating, or just clench your teeth together?

My initial response would be to suggest you try keeping your mouth slightly open while meditating, teeth apart, and place your tongue on the roof of the mouth so you continue to breathe through your nose. Hard to tense the jaw with it open.
  • How do you stop tensing your jaw? I have no control over it
    Try meditating right when you wake up. This certain part of time seems to be the where the mind is most relaxed and malleable, and would not cause you to tense up any part of your body as much.

metta

yes you do...!

Your jaw, your tension.....

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    Hi @Fenix, after reading your posts I can only echo the sentiment previously offered by others before me, which is that focusing so intently on posture is less important than focusing on your mind. Feeling tension and discomfort in the body is quite common in meditation. Instead of feeling like you have to relax your jaw or sit up ramrod straight, become aware that your mind is focusing intently on your body. Simply bring awareness to it and bring your mind back to the focus of meditation. Think, "I am feeling tension" and let it go; breathe in, breathe out. The tension should naturally decrease without forcing yourself to relax.
  • Maitreya Buddha (the next Buddha) is generally depicted as sitting a chair.

Can I have a comfy chair please? ;-)

Lazee Spinee
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    Do you grind your teeth while meditating, or just clench your teeth together?

My initial response would be to suggest you try keeping your mouth slightly open while meditating, teeth apart, and place your tongue on the roof of the mouth so you continue to breathe through your nose. Hard to tense the jaw with it open.
    Neither really, my jaw muscles are just tensing. ok I´ll try
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    I was trying different positions. I found that the only position was something like seiza, but rather having more cushoins, sprawling my legs useless and placing a book under my pelvis for support and sitting there.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi Fenix,

The body is never satisfied no matter how you sit. After a while it will always start to hurt somewhere. The trick is to find a posture that is comfortable enough to give you the ability to leave your body behind and focus on the breath. Finding and getting used to such a posture takes time, so just take it easy. Also you can meditate on a chair or couch, I find the strait back helps staying awake but is not necessary to meditate.

Tension in your jaw might come from tension in your mind.
  • I mentioned this on another thread in:

It doesn't matter really. When you are in single minded focus your whole body will adapt to everything, as opposed to us "trying" to make it adapt.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    Hi Fenix,

The body is never satisfied no matter how you sit. After a while it will always start to hurt somewhere. The trick is to find a posture that is comfortable enough to give you the ability to leave your body behind and focus on the breath. Finding and getting used to such a posture takes time, so just take it easy. Also you can meditate on a chair or couch, I find the strait back helps staying awake but is not necessary to meditate.
    theres no pain.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    How do you remove tension from the lower part of your abdomen. Theres like this slight tension there which is restricting my breath.
    ...and your posture is constricting your breathing...

metta

right?! it is a posture problem and I'm not imagining it
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    Try meditating right when you wake up. This certain part of time seems to be the where the mind is most relaxed and malleable, and would not cause you to tense up any part of your body as much.

metta

I do already
    @fenix You'd probably benefit from some type of relaxation yoga or tai chi to help you be more comfortable in your body and relax easier.

Progressive muscle relaxation for stress relief
    Progressive muscle relaxation is another effective and widely used strategy for stress relief. It involves a two-step process in which you systematically tense and relax different muscle groups in the body.

With regular practice, progressive muscle relaxation gives you an intimate familiarity with what tension—as well as complete relaxation—feels like in different parts of the body. This awareness helps you spot and counteract the first signs of the muscular tension that accompanies stress. And as your body relaxes, so will your mind. You can combine deep breathing with progressive muscle relaxation for an additional level of relief from stress.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation Sequence
    Right foot
    Left foot
    Right calf
    Left calf
    Right thigh
    Left thigh
    Hips and buttocks
    Stomach
    Chest
    Back
    Right arm and hand
    Left arm and hand
    Neck and shoulders
    Face
    Most progressive muscle relaxation practitioners start at the feet and work their way up to the face. For a sequence of muscle groups to follow, see the box to the right:

Loosen your clothing, take off your shoes, and get comfortable.
    Take a few minutes to relax, breathing in and out in slow, deep breaths.
    When you’re relaxed and ready to start, shift your attention to your right foot. Take a moment to focus on the way it feels.
    Slowly tense the muscles in your right foot, squeezing as tightly as you can. Hold for a count of 10.
    Relax your right foot. Focus on the tension flowing away and the way your foot feels as it becomes limp and loose.
    Stay in this relaxed state for a moment, breathing deeply and slowly.
    When you’re ready, shift your attention to your left foot. Follow the same sequence of muscle tension and release.
    Move slowly up through your body — legs, abdomen, back, neck, face — contracting and relaxing the muscle groups as you go.