Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do you have an altar in your house?? if so what does it consist of?

edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Cheers!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have two:
    The first with the standard lamps is in my sitting room.
    The second, more or less dedicated to Tara, is in my bedroom.
  • :om:
    Fede

I have a portable altar - it's a vajra pendant my friend brought back from India for me long before I began practice.
    Bunks
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Heres a photo of the main part of my shrine :)
  • wow! they look cool. Thanks for the picts. ill be getting started on mine soon.
    Is this where you have your meditation sessions?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    I'd like to make a nice simple altar when I move and have more space. I was inspired and very impressed with the one @specialkayme made :thumbsup: Until then it's just a Buddha statue here, a thangka picture there, and prayer flags flapping about everywhere!
  • Lol, I have an altar, although I didn't plan it. My suzy homemaker gf starting putting the Buddha statues in front of our fireplace, then slowly the mala made it's way there along with some plants, an incense burner, and a Buddhist scarf that sometimes makes it's way to my head when I don't want to do my hair.
    Now the dog thinks it's free game to bite the Buddha's head off, and inevitably whenever I burn incense a housemate shouts "It's smells like a pothead's flat, who is burning incense?"
    I haven't yet found an incense that pleases the roommates.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Photobucket

A painting I did of a rooster "wake up", books, aromas and lamp for meditating, cards from sangha, card with buddha, some special things two cups to fill with water at special times. Fake flowers to elevate the mood.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @Malachy12 Regarding your incense situation, I'd highly recommend Anna's Incense. They are an independent company making incense by hand from British Columbia that I purchase from regularly. There are a variety of scents and I'd bet there's something that your roommates would like and not be offended by. They have incense scented like all kinds of fruits, flowers, foods, even ones that smell more like colognes or perfumes (my girlfriend likes the CK1). Of course they also sell the requisite patchouli and nag champa scents, but they are all really well made. They have a scent called Lotus, it's really nice :)
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    I guess my altar is more Pagan than Buddhist... It is simply a little table where I put any significant objects when I find them, or perhaps where I perform a little folk magic.

/\ Amelia
  • @mugzy ooh thanks, and they're online
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
  • ^^ Larger pic of caz's shrine.

Initial file size was too large I guess.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Namaste,

They are all so beautiful. Mine is rather, well, crappy in comparison.

It's in my bedroom.

In metta,
    Raven
  • None are crappy - all are lovely. Mine are sitting room east wall, west wall, south wall, living room and garden. Wife sez, "yer a hoarder!" Okay....
    013.jpg 216.7K
    014.jpg 224.9K
    015.jpg 266.2K
    016.jpg 301.3K
    017.jpg 248.7K
    018.jpg 507.3K
  • Love the 5th one, iron rabbit. Very nice!
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    No altar here...
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    Mine is on a shelf in a quiet room in my home.
    in the centre is a carved wooden statue of Amida Buddha, standing as is the tradition in Jodo Shinshu.
    On the right is a candle (albeit an electric candle) and to the right of that a small gong. To the left of the Amida, is a small vase with flowers, and to the left of that a Nenju (mala) stand.
    I used to have an incense burner front and centre, but over the last year or so I have started getting migraines from incense, so no more incense at home. (We use it at the Temple of course, so I tend to get a migraine there as well :( )

On a shelf above the O-butsudan are pictures of our cats that have passed on. Traditionally photos of family members who have passed are placed near the Shrine, but none of my family are Buddhist, so I choose to not have my Father, or grandparents picture there.
    Below the O-butsudan is a shelf with my Seiten's (Sutra books) I use a chair at this shrine.

I also have two portable Butsudan's, and a small table with a stone Amida seated, and a meditation bench. Since meditation isn't really practice of Jodo Shinshu, I only occasionally use this.
  • Here are two pictures of my little altar! :) The Ganesha and Shiva statues were gifts for special occasions (even though it's not really "Buddhist") I've been trying to keep "natural" type things around my altar. Hence the beautiful lilacs, given to me by my sister-in-law, the "lucky" tree my husband picked out, and (not pictured)marimo in a glass jar. Since I have always liked Tara, but haven't found a large enough picture in my price range, I have a small image of her. My little garden was also a fluke! When I first placed the stones I hadn't realized that there were 4 standing and 8 resting. I realized one day while meditating that it reminded me of the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path.
  • What an awesome place for the weeping yogi. It's as if he's in his own little cave crying away.

Where did you find that desk? It's awesome too.
    None are crappy - all are lovely. Mine are sitting room east wall, west wall, south wall, living room and garden. Wife sez, "yer a hoarder!" Okay....
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2011
    None are crappy - all are lovely. Mine are sitting room east wall, west wall, south wall, living room and garden. Wife sez, "yer a hoarder!" Okay....
    Oh IB they're breathaking!!!

In metta,
    Raven

:thumbup:
  • Mine's pretty scarce, but:
    It sets on an old sewing machine (closed of course), teak-wood box, that my grandfather brought back with him from Thailand, in the background for looks, row of wax flowers against it, small Gautama Buddha surrounded by tiny cloth flowers.
    I really don't like using artificial flowers, but I use what I can get. :-/ In the spring, however, I like to pick azaleas and other flowers to put on the alter.
    ~Meg
  • ArjquadArjquad Veteran
    edited June 2011
    None here, the closest I have is my 1.5 ft tall teracotta statue that my parents brought back from china years ago.
    I've been thinking of making a small one but I don't have a Buddha statue (yet) and if I made a shrine it would probably be closer to a Shinto one than a Buddhist one.
  • edited June 2011
    I like to keep it simple. Just Buddha statue and meditation candles. Maybe an electronic air freshener to release scent rather than using incense. I like the simple zen look.
  • edited June 2011
    I came across this picture and I think the look is simple yet nice. The style looks similar to the fifth picture in Ironrabit's post.
  • love it. good work.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    @Iron_rabbit those are hardcore. sweet. why do you have on the east, west and south?
  • edited June 2011
    These pictures with natural elements such as plants, stones, flowers, and meditation candles look very tranquil and natural.

• I am totally new to this and wondered if anyone could advise me where to get my first buddha and how you choose it. Is it a feeling thing? Can you build your altar up over time or whats the most important thing to start with? I just don't know where to start or hot to? :eek2:
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @allyp I think it is a personal choice and preference whether or not to have an altar for practice. I am not aware of any strict guidelines, aside from always treating holy and sacred objects with respect. They should not be considered to be commodities. Your altar can be a reflection of your spiritual ideals, a shrine to those masters who inspire you, or items that support a specific practice (such as Medicine Buddha, Green Tara, etc). Again it is all a matter of personal taste and feeling.

As far as where to get your first Buddha statue, there are many excellent sites online. I would recommend the Dharma Shop (although I just checked the statue section and a few items are mislabeled), Snow Lion Publications, and Sharchen Imports. How to choose it is another matter :)
  • @mugzy Is it wrong to look at the face of the buddha and see how it makes you feel I feel drawn to one that reflect the peace and restfulness and the laughing buddha when he has the huge beaming smile. Would how i feel about htese particular buddhas be a way of finding which patch to follow?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @allyp It is not wrong at all to look at the faces of Buddhas and see how they make you feel! I think this would be a great way for you to find one that resonates with you. There are actually specific meditation practices that involve looking at or imagining the Buddha, so having an image that you feel a connection with would help this practice even more.

Just so you know the "laughing Buddha" is not a Buddha at all, but rather a Chinese bodhisattva with a similar name - Budai, also known in Japan as Hotei. This is a common misconception. Of course if a statue of Budai is what you feel drawn towards, there is no reason not to have that as a support to your practice.
  • This is where my total ignorance and newness is shining through. I don't even know where to begin never mind practice. I am reading buddhism for beginners by Thubten Chodron, there are no centers close by apart from an ARO center and am not sure that is for me. How to you find out when and how to start to practice. Thank you for explaining the difference about Hotei but he does make me smile!!! (he reminds me of my son when he was a baby) :D
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @allyp I think reading Ven. Chodron's book is an excellent place to start. I actually have Buddhism for Beginners and it led me to Sravasti Abbey, which has been a great support for me. If you don't have a teacher I think starting out by studying the dharma and meditation is very beneficial. If we don't have at least some understanding of what we're doing and why then we are potentially just "going through the motions" so to speak. It's better to have a base of knowledge to begin with, and gradually learn more and integrate new practices and concepts. I believe learning and practicing the dharma is a lifelong process.

I don't have direct experience with the Aro gTér sect but I have studied Dzogchen so this branch of Tibetan Buddhism is actually quite interesting to me. It sounds like something I would research more and then decide if I wanted to attend an event or teaching. You could check it out and see how you feel. There aren't any commitments to attend only one center, or only one kind of Buddhism.

Also I am glad Hotei reminds you of your son and makes you smile, that is a lovely association. Quite appropriate since I think some of the folklore tales mention him carrying candy to give to the children of the villages!
  • @mugzy Thankyou :)
  • bravehawkbravehawk Explorer
    My altar doubles as a bookshelf and shares a space with a cat form of Bast Statue with my self made mala around sitting Buddha's neck.
  • edited June 2011
    bmp. interested in seeing more altars.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    a mini-altar with a small statue of Buddha and tesa-testarosa* representing Yasodhara.

* it was improvised.
  • Here is my meditation space currently, with Kannon (Guan Yin / Avalokitesvara - the bodhisattva of compassion) on the altar. I keep it quite simple, under the stairwell of my small loft.

No flowers. I have a cat! :wtf:

The main character on the scroll is "river."

I have been using a seiza bench for some time instead of a zafu (better for my legs and lower back I think).

The shakuhachi I currently play is a cheaper model, though I have recently ordered another one (it hasn't arrived yet). I sometimes will play something simple on it before zazen.
  • I used to have a stack of stones if that counts... One of them (if you were thinking hard enough and using your creativity to the full. or at least to me it did...) looked like a monk during sitting meditation, besides it was orange which reminded me of the robes actual monks tend to wear.

I don't have it anymore though... It was impermanent =/
  • Hi There, Everyone. I'm a newly practicing Buddhist and have plans to set up a home altar. I have taken a liking to the Mahayana/Zen tradition and have been told that the Buddha in the temple I visit is the Buddha Shakyamuni. I want to know if it really matters what Buddha I put on my home altar as there are so many Buddhas and so many mudras. Its quite confusing! I also would like to know, is the "wish-fulfilling" mudra the same as the "medicine" mudra? Please clear this up for me. Thanks in advance.

-A confused newbie
    Namaste _/|\_

_
  • edited October 2011
    Is it disrespectful to have images from different "sects" of Buddhism in your altar? I have a statue of Avalokiteshvara, a meditating Buddha head, a candle holder with the "Love is patient..." quote from the bible as well as an oil diffuser on my altar. (I don't care for the smell of incense.) I have also a patchwork cloth from India that consists of pieces of different wedding dresses to remind myself of interbeing. I want to put a Tibetan image of Green Tara as well. The altar is on my TV stand, which is the only place I have to put it, though I would like to put my altar someplace else, and probably will once I have the space to do so.
  • @kaijustorm
    Usually we put the statue or picture of Sakyamuni Buddha, because we want to honor the person who re-discovered the Dharma and had so much wisdom and compassion for all sentient beings that he decided to teach them. However if you want to put an image of Amitabha Buddha, Medicine Buddha, Vairocana Buddha, etc. instead it's perfectly alright. They all direct us to the Dharma, and are reflections of Sakyamuni Buddha.

@prettyhowtown
    It's perfectly alright to have images from different traditions. I have Theravada Sakyamuni image, a Chinese Mahayana Kuan Yin, a Japanese Jizo, a Tibetan Green Tara, and an image of HHDL as well as my lama. Perfectly alright. The only issue I have is that it looks like a high school art project.
  • @ dorje: Thanks so much for your prompt response, here is a pic of my home shrine so far:
    The shrine is on the East most wall of my bedroom. From left to right is a small votive candle representing Fire, small slanted bowl for water offerings, a heart shaped piece of hematite my girlfriend bought me, my mala, Incense burner box representing air, Box lamp w/ heart sutra in japanese, my juniper bonsai representing earth, and a small composition notepad with chants and sutras. My 5inch Buddha statue will sit in front of my incense box once I receive it in the mail.

Namaste _/|\_
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Multi-armed Kuan Yin (poor photo, sorry) is in the house

The other pic is the altar in the zendo:

Above is a black statue of Gautama. Below left of the incense burner is a metal pressing of Kuan Yin. To the right is Jizo.
  • @kaijustorm it looks pretty good, I must say. I'd recommend putting the statue between the Heart Sutra and the incense box, just because the incense can be burned as an offering.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I used to have a little Buddha statue and a little stupa but I found myself becoming attached to it so I now use a rock and a broken seashell. Just as a grounding reminder.
  • Here is my meditation space currently
    oh god that is beautiful
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Mine is a very simple one - just a spot in my home-office to sit in front of and meditate.
  • Dalia2016Dalia2016 London New

Here is mine I also have the Hindu goddess Lakshmi on there which I pray to I'm
    A Tibet Buddhist so I have seven bowls I offer every morning and put them away before sunset u can see the bowls stacked up on the left side.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Dalia2016 this thread is nearly 6 years old. You already posted a thread on a Shrine, so I'll just bring this to your attention, because obviously you weren't aware of it....

This discussion has been closed.