Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Buddhist theories/concepts stand today in the face of modern science?

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
Hi,

I had a question regarding the validity of Buddhist dogma's in regards of our comprehension of the world as of nowadays.
For instance, Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) had their dogma's pretty much shattered from the discoveries of the past centuries (the Earth has been proved not to be the center of the universe and not created in 6 days, Men are animal as the end result of a biologic evolution process, Men are not responsible and rational creatures (even though "God made human free to choose between Good and Evil") since a big part of our behavior comes from are unconsciousness, etc...). What about Buddhism?
Modern medicine has led many inquiries that converge in recognizing meditation as a healthy process for both the spirit and the body, but the world of meditation is a lot larger than the Buddhist community and many techniques come from many different sources fully unrelated to Buddhism.
What about the other important believes of Buddhism (4 noble truths, 8 fold paths, re-incarnation, Buddhism cosmology, etc.)?

Comments

• The 4NT and the 8FP stand up well to science, IMO, because they are merely statements about the nature of human existence- spell them out for yourself and see if they apply for you or not.

As far as reincarnation, cosmology, etc.- IMO your question is much to broad. There are a myriad of beliefs about reincarnation and what it is exactly, but, IMO, none of them stand up to science. But you would have to ask "Which Buddhism stands up under scientific scrutiny and which does not?" because of the wide range of beliefs about "cosmology" in various forms of Buddhism.

Many unclear and disorganized threads that tend to go all over the place begin with unclear questions. I am suggesting that IMO this is going to be one of those threads because the question is much too broad.
  • What about Buddhism?
    Modern medicine has led many inquiries that converge in recognizing meditation as a healthy process for both the spirit and the body, but the world of meditation is a lot larger than the Buddhist community and many techniques come from many different sources fully unrelated to Buddhism.
    What about the other important believes of Buddhism (4 noble truths, 8 fold paths, re-incarnation, Buddhism cosmology, etc.)?
    My experience:

If anything, science has affirmed what Buddhism has led me to learn. And vice versa. Science does not contradict Buddhism per se but Buddhism for sure transcends what science has to teach.

Abu
  • Hi,

Thank you for your answers...
    What IMO stands for? sorry I can't catch its meaning.
    Sorry not to be more specific, my knowledge on Buddhism is not very strong that's why I was asking the question to get feedback from people more knowledgeable on the topic. Often, people are biased (e.g. some Christians still assert that science did not prove "thoroughly" the creation to be wrong and still hang on it, even though the odds are clearly against its likelihood). But since Buddhism teaches also free inquiry (as kalama sutta), I hope that some of you who are knowledgeable on your religion can be more objective...
  • IMO means In My Opinion. :)
  • IMO = In my opinion

As to objectivity, what makes you think we might not be. Some of us won't be (laughs) but you will get answers, I believe, based on personal validations through and in practice so that is the degree of 'objectivity' I guess.

Nevertheless @Augustus, you will not know whom is really 'right' or objective until you too, had the same knowledge and insights that are available through a dedicated and genuine Buddhist practice. Until then, you would I imagine be taking all what I or others say with a big dollop of salt, and I say, why not. Only experience can conquer doubts of that sort, and that is a nice invitation for exploration. Buddhism is not about dogma. Sure, it can espouse beliefs and espouse teachings which have been validated by the many, but at the end of the day its genuine encouragement is for YOU to know, for YOU to see, for YOU to come to your own conclusions, and that is a nice foundation for an honest and truthful life IMO.

Of course it is only an invitation, and an invitation only.
    In my own limited experience, what I have seen has not contradicted the words laid out by the Enlightened Ones.

But no, they have not contradicted science to my knowledge at all, but it definitely transcends also the scientific only realm.

Didn't someone post a science article recently on the holographic nature of the universe? :lol:
  • Hi Augustus,
    I'm pretty sure Buddha discouraged dogma.
    I'm also pretty sure "science" is finally "catching up" to Buddha's insights about mind and the nature of reality.
    May you find the causes of true happiness within.

:buck:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2011
    In Buddhist cosmology the center of the universe is said to be Mount Meru and its surrounded by 4 continents of which we live on the southern one. The Dalai Lama has said that he no longer believes this to be true and says that if science is definativly able to disprove any of the other doctrines, such as karma or rebirth then we as buddhists should no longer believe them either. Mind you he said disprove not lack of proof. Also in his Abidharmakosha, a kind of encyclopedia for internal and external phenomena, Vasubhandhu describes the size of the sun and moon. This too has been proven incorrect and we should take modern sciences definition.

Most of the important stuff about Buddhism is its teachings on how to transform our minds. To me these don't seem as vulnerable to scientific debunking so are probably a safe place to develop some trust.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Buddhism is closer to a mathmatic description of psychology than a religious dogma, and has stood well against all western scientific examination.

Good luck in your hunting.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Here we go again with the Buddhism and Christianity versus science routine. Which is okay...always a valid discussion topic...but it always degenerates into a "my religion is better than your religion" thread, with the added bonus that "and science proves it".

In regard to Christianity, the OP brings up Old Testament stories. The primary thrust of Christianity today is teachings of Jesus, not the Old Testament. The fact that science has trampled on so many teachings in the Old Testament is irrelevant to the beliefs of modern Christians. Virtually every Christian I know believes in Christianity and evolution, and admits that neither is fully understood. But, there is just about as much agreement about individual aspects of Christianity as there is about individual aspects of Buddhism -- as demonstrated on this forum.

In regard to Buddhism, "Person" has made some very good points, above. People, who knew very little about anything beyond their small world (at the time) wrote the Dhamma long after Buddha spoke his words...same for the Bible. What we need to listen to is the thrust of what Buddha said...and primarily, that is about human interactions (which by the way, is exactly what Christ spoke about). And science has no need to pass judgments on human interactions...although science does help modern religions understand human interactions better...but science approaches it as much from a brain function and brain chemistry perspective, as a behavioral approach.
  • Science has not given credit where credit is due. Nuclear physics, atomic particles, Big bang theory, galactic systems, all mentioned in the Tipitaka some 2500 years ago. Why was it not mentioned or given credit? Who knows, but it's in there. Look it up if you don't believe me.

metta
    Science has not given credit where credit is due. Nuclear physics, atomic particles, Big bang theory, galactic systems, all mentioned in the Tipitaka some 2500 years ago. Why was it not mentioned or given credit? Who knows, but it's in there. Look it up if you don't believe me.

metta
    Specific references for "nuclear physics, atomic particles, Big bang theory, galactic systems", please.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Buddhism is centrally empirical. After people get over their hopes and beliefs and go to work, well, it's just as Gautama suggested: "Find out for yourself." It sounds pretty scientific to me, but then I was never much good at science.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Is science even capable of touching concepts such as Sunyata or Anatta?
  • Buddhism is centrally empirical.
    According to Richard Gombrich Buddhism is centrally nominalist.

• It should be noted that the atomic theory prevailed in India in the time of the Buddha. Paramānu was the ancient term for the modern atom. According to the ancient belief one ratharenu consists of 36 tajjāris; one tajjāri, 36 anus; one anu, 36 paramānus. The minute particles of dust seen dancing in the sunbeam are called ratharenus. One paramānu is therefore, 1/46, 656th part of a ratharenu. This paramānu was considered indivisible.

http://www.palikanon.com/english/sangaha/chapter_6.htm

many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.070.than.html

"It was believed that Earth was at the center with all of the stars and the Sun revolving around Earth. The prevailing philosophy was this Earth-centered, human-centered idea. If the Earth were bit the center of the universe, it was concluded, then our planet would just be another planet and nothing special in relation to the universe.

Then came the Buddha and in his revolutionary way proclaimed that there are numerous other planets each with its own life forms. He said that these planets are great distances apart from each other (Jayasuriya, 1963) (Majhima Nikaya 3.124) The Buddha said there are "thousands and thousands of suns, thousands of moons, thousands of continents. " Anguttara Nikaya 1.227"

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5092&start=0
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Is science even capable of touching concepts such as Sunyata or Anatta?
    Possibly, in this Radiolab segment they talk about how when looking at the behavior of individual gene expression each one is completely random. However there is order, they only briefly speculate that somehow its the interactions that produce the order. That seems like dependent origination to me.

http://www.radiolab.org/2009/jun/15/random-rules/

As for Anatta, I've seen one neuroscientist show that in the brain a complex mental event is composed of all the different aspects of brain function but there's no organizing principle, they all just work in harmony to produce a coherent experience.

Its all still pretty new and there's no conclusions but it seems like science maybe is capable of touching those concepts if they can make the philosophical leap.
  • Grand ideas like atoms or galaxies are not just found in India. There are some ideas that the Greeks and even Egyptians had that were later confirmed by science.

The idea of an indivisible entity is also present in Greek. And equating the modern understanding of atom with that of a ratharenu seems rather pointless. I dont doubt ancient man could see dust particles.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I think in buddhism the basis is to work with the subjective experience. I have gotten the feeling from listening to my teacher that she is open to the idea of reincarnation because her direct perception of her mind has lead her to see how mind is not what she had thought of it when confused. By seeing more insight into the nature of mind as it is in her experience she has a better understanding of what mind and body mean in her experience. Thus her understanding is actually relevant to her rather than getting too divorced from the material and sensual.

There are clearly advantages to working with subjective experience. For example a beer brewer can study all the processes of making beer and know in theory what conditions lead to a good taste and so forth. But even if he does everything right and he cracks open the bottle and it does not taste good... That sweeps away all his object theory and schooling. If a philosopher has a system and he says this is the best way to be happy. And you are not happy. Then that objective technology is uselessm (unless you can find the problem of your work with that system and make it work).

• Let us not judge ancient teachings as myths and primitive speculations, for if it was not written to inform us of something beneficial to humanity, these ideas would have been discarded long ago. We should learn to respect ancient teachings not as the works of primitive people, but as the basis for modern thinking and understanding. We have not yet solved many of the mysteries of the ancient past, so it is for the benefit of mankind that we continue to pursue our quest for knowledge and understanding with consideration to every piece of information that we have available today.

metta
    edited June 2011
    Buddhism is centrally empirical.

@buckyg Philosophically, we might drink a lot of good beer over that designation. But if we did that, we'd probably just get drunk instead of discovering anything useful about what is sometimes called "Buddhism."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think I programmed you to think about beer genkaku (above) :p
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Where science proves a theory, and there is a Buddhist thought on the same subject. We're to shed that belief in light of new evidence. I don't think Buddhism tries to step on peoples' toes. At least, my version of Buddhism doesn't ;P
  • edited June 2011
    Buddhism is the science of the mind. The reason Buddhists meditate is to clear the mind so that they can then become aware of it's subtle movements. By seeing and understanding these subtle movements, the meditator then understands that it is not his/ her process, and they are liberated from suffering. :)
  • One point I think is worth considering here is that Dharma is true of all possible universes, not just this one.

There may be a universe made of musical notes or made of whims of gods, but if those universes contain causally interdependent changes then those universes will be subject to the Three Foundations of Existence and thus anything that experiences in those universes will be subject to The Four Noble Truths.

It is not a scriptural proclamation that Dharma is eternal and universal, it is a foundational truth that cannot be doubted, however hard one tries.

So of course science coheres with Dharma, but that isn't that remark-arable when you see that it couldn't be any other way- in this or any other possible world.

This is one of those often under-looked wonders of the Totality of Dharma.

Let us not judge ancient teachings as myths and primitive speculations, for if it was not written to inform us of something beneficial to humanity, these ideas would have been discarded long ago. We should learn to respect ancient teachings not as the works of primitive people, but as the basis for modern thinking and understanding. We have not yet solved many of the mysteries of the ancient past, so it is for the benefit of mankind that we continue to pursue our quest for knowledge and understanding with consideration to every piece of information that we have available today.

metta
    I think you've stated that fairly in this post. But when you said, "Nuclear physics, atomic particles, Big bang theory, galactic systems, all mentioned in the Tipitaka some 2500 years ago", I think that's overstating things.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure Buddha discouraged dogma.
    :)
    Of all the paths the Eightfold Path is the best; of all the truths the Four Noble Truths are the best; of all things passionlessness is the best: of men the Seeing One (the Buddha) is the best. This is the only path; there is none other for the purification of insight.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.20.budd.html
    edited June 2011
    What about Buddhism?
    Basically, just about everything the Buddha reportedly taught is true, including cosmology. There is nothing in science that disproves the vast majority of what the Buddha taught.

There are some teachings that cannot be proved, like people returning to visit the Buddha after they died, how human beings were formed, etc, but apart from that, most is true.
    @Dhamma Dhatu -- Maybe so, but we still have to find out if it's true.
  • Is science even capable of touching concepts such as Sunyata or Anatta?
    Sure. Science understands "ego" is something that develops in the mind; that a child has basically no ego until it begins to "solidify" over a number of years. Most scientists in this field would understand ego is just a brain function rather than an instrinstic "self".

edited June 2011
    @Dhamma Dhatu -- Maybe so, but we still have to find out if it's true.
    Sure. But have you not yet found out when suffering occurs, it can only occur when there is ignorance, craving & attachment? Have you not seen the "cosmology", that is, the various abidings of the various human beings in the world in the humane, hungry ghost, animal, hell & godly words? Have you not yet found out non-abidance in the five precepts is problematic?

:confused:
  • Grand ideas like atoms or galaxies are not just found in India. There are some ideas that the Greeks and even Egyptians had that were later confirmed by science.

The idea of an indivisible entity is also present in Greek. And equating the modern understanding of atom with that of a ratharenu seems rather pointless. I dont doubt ancient man could see dust particles.

atoms aren't really indivisible...

edited June 2011
    atoms aren't really indivisible...
    sure. here the Buddha would probably say such knowledge is both beyond the range of (meditative) knowledge and unnecessary for the ending of suffering

this is one reason why it is argueable the Mahayana obsession with a lack of inherent existence for EVERYTHING goes too far & is unnecessary for the goal

in the suttas, the Buddha refused to answer the question: "Where do the four great elements cease without remainder?".

Of all those things that from a cause arise,
    Tathagata the cause thereof has told;
    And how they cease to be, that too he tells,
    This is the doctrine of the Great Recluse

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel090.html#i
  • @Vincenzi

*sigh* I know they arnt. Im stating how the concept and idea of an atom first emerged. but yea, great contribution, thanks.
    You know, I am reminded of the spin that the government of Thailand puts on all things related to the King, and to a lesser extent, the Royal Family, in general. In Thailand there is a very nice book you can buy entitled something like "King Bhumipohl On The World Stage" (I think published by the government) that would lead one to believe that in terms of international politics, that the King is right up there with the primary world leaders as an international power broker. And while he is fairly well respected internationally, he's hardly at the table with the leaders of the US, Russia, France, England, China, etc.

I think we have to be a little careful that we don't do the same thing with Buddha. I was a science major in college. I don't recall Buddha as being credited with the discovery of the atom, Nuclear physics, the Big bang theory, and the discovery of galactic systems.

So when I read a thread about "modern science", I think we go over the top in claiming Buddha to be the most renowned scientist in history.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    They are pretty close.
    Check out Quantum Mechanics!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "this is one reason why it is argueable the Mahayana obsession with a lack of inherent existence for EVERYTHING goes too far & is unnecessary for the goal"

DD this is just many mahayanists observes and finds liberating. They don't find it goes to far, though you may think so.
  • edited June 2011
    Modern science has their way of life, while religious faiths exploits the advantage of modern science over to a wider scope of living beings. It's an expediency that yield result. Personally, i find that modern science is a bodhisavattas that truly helps many living beings to some aspects of comfort. While enjoying this comfort, one should deligently enjoy it to get liberated from suffering. For instance, you could bless one another using this small space of computer technology. Dun you mind likewise :p
  • edited June 2011
    My friend, those scientists who studied the physical world did have brilliant minds, and certainly deserve an amount of credit for their discoveries and contributions to humanities outward understanding, but the science of meditation is far greater, more profound, and certainly more necessary.
    By studying the workings of the mind, one can conquer one's self, and make an end of suffering. According to the Buddha, there is no greater achievement. :)
  • @Tikal2012 :bowdown:
  • I would place solving world hunger, poverty, disease (especially AIDS and Cancer) as greater achievements.

How about potable water? Try meditating if you have cholera.
  • That's a really good intention, and perhaps worthy of applying effort towards, however, one should always remember that the world is transitory, bound with suffering, and non-substantial, and that liberation from it is the highest happiness.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Science has contributed more to overall human wellbeing than buddhism.
  • Buddhism is centrally empirical.

@buckyg Philosophically, we might drink a lot of good beer over that designation. But if we did that, we'd probably just get drunk instead of discovering anything useful about what is sometimes called "Buddhism."
    i don't drink?:buck:
  • Science has contributed more to overall human wellbeing than buddhism.
    "Science" contributed to the arms race, to experimentation on animals and humans, to pollution of the environment, to mind-altering drugs, etc. "Science" does not devote itself to anything except the pursuit of worldly knowledge, which of course can lead to many benefits to the wellfare of living beings but also the detriment of many living beings.

The Buddha (not necessarily Buddhism) has contributed the greatest, most complete and most profound doctrine of truth in the history of this world, pointing the way to liberation, awakening, happiness, peace, and wellbeing for all sentient beings. He is unsurpassed.
  • Science has contributed more to overall human wellbeing than buddhism.
    @Daozen- this is a pretty sweeping statement to make without some sort of outside objective reference. Did you mean to say "In my opinion"?

Science has contributed more to overall human wellbeing than buddhism.
    @Daozen- this is a pretty sweeping statement to make without some sort of outside objective reference. Did you mean to say "In my opinion"?

While I do think saying "in my opinion" would have been wise, I think that's inferred in most of our posts here in the forum.

On the other hand, Talisman said, "The Buddha (not necessarily Buddhism) has contributed the greatest, most complete and most profound doctrine of truth in the history of this world, pointing the way to liberation, awakening, happiness, peace, and wellbeing for all sentient beings. He is unsurpassed." That too deserves an "in my opinion" because the majority of the people in the world -- non-Buddhists -- would certainly not agree.

• YishaiYishai Veteran
    Could we say that Buddhism is pure in establishing the well-being of all. Whereas, with Science we get a mixed bag, some good/some bad? Has Buddhism created/amplified suffering? I don't think it has... Unless someone can point out where it has, which would be new information to me :)
    Could we say that Buddhism is pure in establishing the well-being of all. Whereas, with Science we get a mixed bag, some good/some bad? Has Buddhism created/amplified suffering? I don't think it has... Unless someone can point out where it has, which would be new information to me :)
    1. With science we get what is. And yes, negatives as well as positives.

2. I think you could say that Buddhism in and of itself has established the well-being of Buddhists (but not all people), as long as we also acknowledge that some Buddhists, even very devoted Buddhists have created/amplified suffering.

• YishaiYishai Veteran
    So does Buddhism have intent, whereas science does not?
    So does Buddhism have intent, whereas science does not?
    Well, I can't be exactly sure what you mean by intent, but, for my meaning, Buddhism has some rather specific intentions -- to alleviate suffering, for example, and to provide a moral code (the Precepts). But it does not answer all spiritual needs for all people.

Science, too, has limited intent, but that intent evolves and expands over time to encompass a wide variety of man's interests.