Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did Buddha call a Creator an imponderable?

edited July 2011 in Philosophy
Does he mention anything else about a Creator?

Comments

• woods93woods93 Explorer
    I think trying to explain us being here and how we started is impossible because we can not prove the reason for our existence yet. We might in the future but for now trying to come up with a reason is over thinking things. This may not be true for other people but this is my opinion.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i think the buddha focused on finding the cause for suffering so we can free ourselves from suffering.
    the imponderables are things that really don't help us on this path.

also pretty much most of what the buddha taught in this moment can be looked into.
    i can right now experience everything the buddha talked about.

so in that sense a lot of what the buddha said is just the reflection of his experience. thus we can examine everything he said right now as well.

the imponderables are just things that even the buddha wasn't sure of. i suppose that is my assumption, but again either way it doesn't contribute to the path of awakening. just more baggage and hinderances that we have to drop off to find truth.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Thinking of a creator, the question can be immediately asked: "Who created the creator?". You get an infinite regress of first causes. Hence, imponderable.

IMO the cosmos just is, and always has been. Infinite in every conceivable (and inconceivable) way.
  • We can spend every waking moment pondering a creator, but ultimately it get's us nowhere. All we have is a bunch of questions with no answer.
  • If it's unproven and unprovable, then there's no reason to ponder it. It is, indeed, imponderable.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    We can spend every waking moment pondering a creator, but ultimately it get's us nowhere. All we have is a bunch of questions with no answer.
    So what?

There is an unending number of things each of us does that have nothing to do with enlightenment. We watch television, we go to a movie, we play poker, we go on vacation, we go out to dinner with friends, etc., etc., etc. None of those things get us any closer to enlightenment, but we still do them.

If it's unproven and unprovable, then there's no reason to ponder it. It is, indeed, imponderable.
    No, the word imponderable means that something is simply "difficult or impossible to assess". It doesn't mean that you can't ponder it. How many things in human history were once thought to be impoderable, but were later solved? Almost an infinite number of things.

• We can spend every waking moment pondering a creator, but ultimately it get's us nowhere. All we have is a bunch of questions with no answer.
    So what?

There is an unending number of things each of us does that have nothing to do with enlightenment. We watch television, we go to a movie, we play poker, we go on vacation, we go out to dinner with friends, etc., etc., etc. None of those things get us any closer to enlightenment, but we still do them.

Indeed. And if you wish to do those things or ponder a creator then by all means, have at it. I was simply answering the OP's question.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If it's unproven and unprovable, then there's no reason to ponder it. It is, indeed, imponderable.
    No, the word imponderable means that something is simply "difficult or impossible to assess". It doesn't mean that you can't ponder it. How many things in human history were once thought to be impoderable, but were later solved? Almost an infinite number of things.

You're missing the point.
    As it's an imponderable, the Buddha strongly advised against indulging in pondering, because it gets you nowhere, wastes your time, is a distraction from the 'serious business' and will drive you potty.

His advice has been proven to be correct time and again, so really as said - ponder away all you want. Knock yourself out.
    but it's a waste of the brief amount of precious time you have, which could be used more constructively.

No problem... ponder away. Your time, feel free to waste it all you want, any way you want! :D

As it's an imponderable, the Buddha strongly advised against indulging in pondering, because it gets you nowhere, wastes your time, is a distraction from the 'serious business' and will drive you potty.

His advice has been proven to be correct time and again, so really as said - ponder away all you want. Knock yourself out.
    but it's a waste of the brief amount of precious time you have, which could be used more constructively.

No problem... ponder away. Your time, feel free to waste it all you want, any way you want! :D

Are there anythings you do that waste time?

• Because the point is to find a way of life that frees us from as much pain, suffering and difficulty as possible, and not to wonder whom or what made the pain or suffering (shedding the blame?) nor to worry about why. You can wonder about these things if you choose to, but they are irrelevant to the path of Buddhism.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Are there anythings you do that waste time?

hah, i thought the same thing. "i wonder which is a bigger waste of time: to ponder a creator or to get that much closer to beating Mario Galaxy 2...?"

it is my personal opinion that believing in a creator does not have a positive effect on a person. i have found that to believe that my life is at the whim of some other entity can leave me feeling helpless at times or unrealistically powerful at other times. instead of praying, i would rather be out there doing something about whatever it is that is bothering me instead of relying on something as unreliable as god. i mean, i'm still open to the idea that there could be a creator, but i don't believe that it is helpful to rely on that idea. i'm basically just pretty unconcerned.

• hah, i thought the same thing. "i wonder which is a bigger waste of time: to ponder a creator or to get that much closer to beating Mario Galaxy 2...?"

it is my personal opinion that believing in a creator does not have a positive effect on a person. i have found that to believe that my life is at the whim of some other entity can leave me feeling helpless at times or unrealistically powerful at other times. instead of praying, i would rather be out there doing something about whatever it is that is bothering me instead of relying on something as unreliable as god. i mean, i'm still open to the idea that there could be a creator, but i don't believe that it is helpful to rely on that idea. i'm basically just pretty unconcerned.

- Heh. I'd consider pondering a creator to be a bigger waste of time. Playing games may not be the most productive use of my time, but it is something that brings me quite a lot of enjoyment nonetheless (just completed 'Infamous 2' over the weekend). Pondering a creator...just leaves me scratching my head.

- I agree with that last bit as well. Maybe there is a creator. Maybe not. I don't know and can't know ether way, so I just don't worry myself with it anymore.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I like to ponder and never consider it a waste of time, no more so than watching tv or reading a book. I can't spend all of my waking hours thinking about Buddhism, for example. I happen to like books where people try to prove that there is a creator or that there isn't one. I would rather ponder the creator than play games like static does. I think we all have different minds that desire to do different things.

One thing I have noticed, is no matter what you believe, whether it is God or Buddha, prayers do not get answered. But I don't think of a God as answering prayers or being involved with mankind, and so I can't imagine a God like that of the bible.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Does he mention anything else about a Creator?
    A creator doesnt fit in with teachings on emptiness. Everything is dependently orgininated a creator would suggest a linear existance where as Buddha affirmed Samsara is cyclic therefore there is no room for a supreme creator not only is it an illogical concept its entirely useless and creates more delusions in our mind which only bind us tighter to Samsara.
  • I don't know about pondering about a creator, but studying the universe in a scientific way is a not a trivial thing. Do we call it pondering too? I think those kinds of inquiries have the same root as pondering about the creator, i.e. where we came from and why. I think it's ok to ponder but you have to understand where these kinds of questions come from. It's our human nature.
  • It's impossible for anything to be created ex nihilo (self-created.) Nothing in the universe is causeless, and it is impossible for something to be its own cause. Also, it is impossible for there to be an immutable entity capable of interacting with, manipulating, changing, or creating the universe. An imutable, ex nihilo, and permanent entity would be changless. It is impossible for something to "inter"act with something else and not be acted upon as well.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Here's my two cents. There are three main reasons why I think the question of God is basically a non-issue in Buddhism, especially the Judeo-Christian conception of God:

Reason #1: According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). This can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. Either way, the point is the same: all that really matters in the here and now is whether suffering is present, and if so, how it can be overcome.

Reason #2: I think it's safe to say that Buddhism is essentially non-theistic in view. However, I also happen to be of the opinion that, if we dig a bit deeper, the idea of a creator God is incompatible with certain aspects and teachings that, if taken to their logical conclusion, seem to reject the idea of, or a need for, a creator God. For one thing, the logic of dependent co-arising negates the idea of a creator God in that it precludes a first cause or a causeless cause. Then there's this famous problem of evil passage from the Bhuridatta Jataka (although, to be fair, this is most likely a later addition that some date to the 13th century):
    We see those rules enforced before our eyes,
    None but the Brahmans offer sacrifice,
    None but the Khattiya exercises sway,
    The Vessas plough, the Suddas must obey.
    These greedy liars propagate deceit,
    And fools believe the fictions they repeat;
    He who has eyes can see the sickening sight;
    Why does not Brahma set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limits can restrain,
    Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain?
    Why does he not to all give happiness?

Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail?
    Why triumphs falsehood, truth and justice fail?
    I count your Brahma one of the unjust among,
    Who made a world in which to shelter wrong.
    Those men are counted pure who only kill
    Frogs, worms, bees, snakes or insects as they will,
    These are your savage customs which I hate,
    Such as Kamboja hordes might emulate.
    If he who kills is counted innocent
    And if the victim safe to heaven is sent,
    Let Brahmans Brahmans kill so all were well
    And those who listen to the words they tell.
    At best, God would have be more like the impassive and impersonal God of Aristotle, existing outside of time and space, to find a place within Buddhist cosmology; and anything existing outside of time and space would logically be completely static, meaning that God would be an undynamic being if God exists at all. Since everything within the range of our experience (i.e., within space and time) is subject to change, however, it's more logical to conclude that everything within our realm of experience is impermanent, meaning that for God to able to interact with our universe, God would also be temporal and subject to illness, aging and death just like every other being.

Nevertheless, even in the earliest parts of the Pali Canon, there are references to devas or what we might call 'heavenly beings.' However, devas (literally 'radiant ones'), which are often seen as gods when taken literally, are simply non-human beings who are more powerful and long-lived than ordinary humans, and are by no means eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc. (e.g., see DN 1). But more importantly, they can also be viewed metaphorically as the indulgent and hedonistic aspects of our psychology (i.e., the parts that are addicted to sensual pleasures).

In addition, according to AN 3.61, the belief in a supreme being can be unskillful and interfere with Dhamma practice if it leads to the belief that everything a person experiences is due to such a supreme being, a denial of the efficacy of kamma (literally 'action') and a life of inaction:
    Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a supreme being's act of creation. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of a supreme being's act of creation.' When one falls back on creation by a supreme being as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.
    Reason #3: In relation to the four noble truths and the practice of the noble eightfold path, the matter of the existence of God is, soteriologically speaking, unnecessary. The impetus of the practice is a strong conviction in the efficacy of actions and the intentions underlying them, not the existence of a supreme being (e.g., see MN 61).

Of course, this doesn't mean that people can't believe in God and still practice the Dhamma, especially some of its more contemplative aspects; but it does mean that, at the very least, such views can negatively impact the practice when held inappropriately. In addition, I understand that a belief in God can provide comfort in difficult times, as well as serve as the basis for a beneficial ethical-spiritual practice. I also accept that certain people may have had some kind of profound spiritual experience that has led them to adopt such beliefs, and I don't have any issues with that myself. (I mean, who am I to argue with someone's personal experiences?)

Moreover, I think one can certainly present Judeo-Christian ideas in a more or less Buddhistic way, and vice versa. As I've often mentioned before, my dear friend Simon shared with me some of his ideas regarding the "excellence of the synthesis of the messages and practices" of Buddhism and Christianity; and people like David Cooper (God is a Verb) and Thomas Merton (Mystics and Zen Masters) seem to continually find harmony between these spiritual disciplines.
  • excellent post @jason
    edited June 2011
    I like to ponder and never consider it a waste of time, no more so than watching tv or reading a book. I can't spend all of my waking hours thinking about Buddhism, for example. I happen to like books where people try to prove that there is a creator or that there isn't one. I would rather ponder the creator than play games like static does. I think we all have different minds that desire to do different things.

One thing I have noticed, is no matter what you believe, whether it is God or Buddha, prayers do not get answered. But I don't think of a God as answering prayers or being involved with mankind, and so I can't imagine a God like that of the bible.
    I quite agree with both points you make. But, like me, your thinking will be put in its place here.

• IMO, all sentinent beings are like cartoon characters in one computer. Enlightenment for a cartoon character is realizing the fact that its nature is electrical signals and the true nature of the signal is emptiness. There are architect who build the software and the hardware but regardless of who build it the true nature of a cartoon is emptiness. At the end it doesn't matter who build the computer because your true nature is emptiness and nobody built your true nature (because it is emptiness).

In other words, a God can only create the platform but not our true nature.
    There are numerous other computers out there too but all the cartoons in them has the same true nature. Even architects have the same true nature.

IMO our world is a playground for some deities and god like beings and they may have some role in building this machine but at the end who cares...

• edited June 2011

Surely, imponderable DOES mean that you can't ponder it. I would've thought your definition "difficult or impossible to assess" supports my point, not yours. And I don't think its even possible for God's existence to be "later solved", not even in principle. Take for example the idea of an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good God. At first glance, the question of its existence might be solved by the Problem of Evil. But of course, any resolution resulting in disbelief will simply see theists redefining God and/or God's role until He's "impossible to assess" once more. It's like if I say there's a unicorn in the room right now, but it's invisible, inaudible, untouchable, undetectable by any means whatsoever. Suggest a test for it's existence/non-existence, and I will simply redefine the unicorn safely away from the risk. Then I can say things like "my unicorn is neither provable nor disprovable, therefore belief in it is just as valid as disbelief". So long as I play this shell-game it is literally impossible for the question of the unicorn's existence to be "later solved", except to say that I have no positive reason to believe the unicorn exists, that I'm obviously just making stuff up, and therefore that there's no reason to ponder it.

Prometheus, you have my blessing to believe in whatever you wish.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Taken from http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.com/2011/01/karma-class-acts-results-intentions.html:

These Four Imponderables are not to be pondered (speculated about). Anyone who persisted in pondering them would come unhinged and experience vexation. What are the four?

The sphere of a Buddha's influence (Buddha-range of the Buddhas, i.e., the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a perfectly enlightened teacher)...
    The jhana-range of one absorbed in jhana (the range of powers that one may develop from meditative absorption]...
    The results of karma...
    The [first moment, purpose, etc., of the] universe...

These Four Imponderables, if pondered (and persisted in, speculated about), lead to madness and vexation.

My own take on the "imponderables" is any topic that allows for no useful, practical conclusion as regards spiritual endeavor. If you could levitate, so what? If you knew how many angels would fit on the head of a pin, so what? If you were Cleopatra in a former life, does that help pay the rent? And what sort of a god could possibly be god if he/she/it sat still for your soaring definitions? As to such imponderables as "enlightenment" or "compassion" or "emptiness," perhaps they may be tentatively forgiven if they lead to some right intention and right action. Nattering endlessly about them leads to an insufferable virtue and a prolongation of suffering -- the polar opposite of what Gautama hoped to do. The short version of the imponderables is, "Don't waste your breath."

But that's just my take.
  • @genkaku
    excellent reply...
  • Prometheus, you have my blessing to believe in whatever you wish.
    With all due respect, I wasn't looking for your 'blessing' to believe whatever I 'wish'... I was looking for a rational discussion leading to belief in whatever reason dictates...
    Prometheus, you have my blessing to believe in whatever you wish.
    With all due respect, I wasn't looking for your 'blessing' to believe whatever I 'wish'... I was looking for a rational discussion leading to belief in whatever reason dictates...
    I was trying to make a point, but you missed...perhaps my fault.

I don't buy the definition most Buddhists make of the term "imponderable". Most people I know have pondered about God. I don't know a single one who has gone mad because of it.

To be honest, I think it's a "cop out" that is no more sophisticated than the Christian "cop out" of "God works in mysterious ways".

I ponder about karma, I ponder about God, I ponder about creation, etc. Have I solved them? No. So what? Is it better to ponder about things that are unsolvable or things that have already been solved? Well, the latter doesn't seem very logical, either.

Much of what we know in 2011 was thought to be imponderable in 1492. But people had the power to ponder.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    girl,

I would recommend looking up the sutra where buddha states that and try to understand for yourself. You could post specific lines of the sutra which you were having trouble with or you could post a link and have a discussion.

I think we should let buddha speak for himself.

• Much of what we know in 2011 was thought to be imponderable in 1492. But people had the power to ponder.

I can't believe you just repeated that as though I hadn't replied to that extensively in previous posts... I appear to have been wasting my breath.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "I'm obviously just making stuff up"

Almost all believers are not deceptive. They have sincere belief I feel.
    edited June 2011

Much of what we know in 2011 was thought to be imponderable in 1492. But people had the power to ponder.

I can't believe you just repeated that as though I hadn't replied to that extensively in previous posts... I appear to have been wasting my breath.
    No, not wasting your breath. I am just, once again, making the point that I disagree with you.

I don't wish to upset you. Perhaps it would be better if you skipped over my posts in the future.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Prometheus,

first show me reason can establish existence without axioms. then we can discuss whether blessings or reason is better.
  • Thinking of a creator, the question can be immediately asked: "Who created the creator?". You get an infinite regress of first causes. Hence, imponderable.

IMO the cosmos just is, and always has been. Infinite in every conceivable (and inconceivable) way.
    Scientists have come to the conclusion that the universe had a cause (the big bang) therefore it has not always been. Saying that the universe was always just here makes no mathematical sense. What's infinity minus infinity? It all goes back to the ultimate source (god).
  • It's like looking for your own eyes.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Thinking of a creator, the question can be immediately asked: "Who created the creator?". You get an infinite regress of first causes. Hence, imponderable.

Scientists have come to the conclusion that the universe had a cause (the big bang) therefore it has not always been. Saying that the universe was always just here makes no mathematical sense. What's infinity minus infinity? It all goes back to the ultimate source (god).
    Actually the Big Bang is kind of on the outs nowdays. Scientists can only get to a fraction of a second after the big bang and logically can't explain something from nothing. Check out this Horizon show to learn more.

Actually the Big Bang is kind of on the outs nowdays. Scientists can only get to a fraction of a second after the big bang and logically can't explain something from nothing. Check out this Horizon show to learn more.
    You're overstating it. It's still the predominant theory, which like most theories is constantly being reexamined and refined.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

You're overstating it. It's still the predominant theory, which like most theories is constantly being reexamined and refined.

Yeah, I guess I did. Its not that the big bang is out, its more that there's a growing feeling that it might not be the beginning. The program is "What happened before the big bang" not the big bang is wrong.
  • edited June 2011
    In Sant Mat, the Buddha is seen as attaining only minimal enlightenment. It is because of these beliefs as "let's not think about God" that Buddha is believed to have only reached the second stage of the path to complete emancipation. In Sant Mat you are directed to think about God *all* the time. To follow the song of the Audible Lifestream back to the source which is I guess... God. You think about him day and night and listen to Holy Shabd with your inner ears.

So it goes to show you... that Buddhism *might* be just another step, just another religion, on the way to perfect understanding of what exactly we're dealing with here. (Might I said... I'm still deciding which is best for me.)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think it depends on what you mean regarding emancipation and regarding God. In medtitation we give each thought an audience and then let it go. In this way we are emancipated from clinging to thinking.

Therefore according to a buddhist dwelling on thoughts of God would not be emancipation.

If you are applying a buddhist method to meditation you can see for yourself what kinds of results you get.
  • edited June 2011
    @vinlyn Surely you can see why it can be frustrating when people don't rebut you points, but rather just repeat themselves like you hadn't said anything? I'm not wasting time being 'upset' but I did have to express that frustration in at least a sentence.

@jeffrey I didn't think theists were being deliberately deceptive. Why would you think I said that? And what do you mean by "first show me reason can establish existence without axioms. then we can discuss whether blessings or reason is better"? What is this a response to?

@roberto78 Wouldn't a God that was 'always here' also 'make no mathematical sense'?

@person The Big Bang was never meant to explain the first cause of the universe, it was meant to explain the subsequent development of the universe.
  • @Prometheus Well, if there is a God he is outside of time and space and therefore not restricted to the laws of the Universe he created. I think there are just certain objective truths in the Universe that may point to there being a God. i.e - Moral and Mathematical truths (law of nature). But none of these can ever really be proven (Groucho Marx theory)
  • @Prometheus Well, if there is a God he is outside of time and space and therefore not restricted to the laws of the Universe he created. I think there are just certain objective truths in the Universe that may point to there being a God. i.e - Moral and Mathematical truths (law of nature). But none of these can ever really be proven (Groucho Marx theory)
    Please forgive me if I find that a little too convenient. Your first sentence is a 'get out of jail free' card that I just don't accept. You don't get to use logic when it appears to work for God, and then dismiss logic when it appears to go against God. It's a "heads I win tails you lose" rigged-coin-toss argument that appears to be a common method in theology, but if you get to make up the rules like this, I don't have to play.

But besides that, there are linguistic problems with your concept of God that make that concept literally incoherent, impossible, meaningless... 'imponderable'. The word 'universe' is defined in the first place by 'that which exists', and so if God exists then he is by definition part of the universe and so restricted by its laws (if they are indeed 'universal' laws). If you instead say that God exists 'outside of time and space' then you are saying God exists no-when and nowhere, which is to say that God doesn't exist. It's like saying that God exists north of the north-pole. Sure, you can SAY this in a grammatically correct English sentence, but it is incoherent and meaningless, and so it is literally impossible to even form a concept of it in your mind. You think you know what you're talking about, you think you have a distinct concept of it in your mind, but your concept is not compatible with the linguistic definition you are using to save the concept from refutation, for the linguistic definition is impossible.

I'm sure you'll say that God is beyond all petty human concepts such as logic, internal consistency, coherency, meaningfulness, etc. But again, that's just not a move I'll accept. Illogical is illogical.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @Prometheus, I may have been thinking outloud rather than engaging with you. For that I apologize. I was commenting "I'm obviously just making stuff up". I thought you were saying that christians were making up their beliefs.

The second you were saying that they shouldn't believe something that one couldn't reason through. I was pointing out that reason cannot prove existence. Thus there is a greater part of our experience which is not under the umbrella of reason. Compassion or prayer doesn't have to be reasonable. It is our inner yearnings which often we are at the mercy of.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011

The big bang is a (very solid) theory about how *this* universe started, but does not explicitly say what, if anything, came before this universe, because as yet the maths/physics of the problem have only been investigated up until a very short time after the big bang happened. One theory is that this universe is merely one of a (possibly infinite) multitude of universes within the cosmos - a theory i personally believe in, and which makes a whole lot more sense than a universe suddenly appearing out of nothing - but that's besides the main point, which is about creation.

As i stated initially, but you seem to have not read/ignored, the idea of *any* first cause makes no sense, because the simple question can then be asked, what caused this first cause? Eventually, logically, you must come to an 'uncaused cause', in other words, the idea that existence stretches backwards into infinity.

Resolving whether this uncaused cause is marely material or involves a supernatural being such as God is a separate issue - one that resolves, for me at least, by the very simple thought that there is nothing in this universe that requires a God to explain it, and indeed there is always a simpler explanation that does not require God. So at best a creator God is a redundant belief, one that is unecessary for our enlightenment. At worst it is ... well, just Google the atrocities commited in the name of God.

Resolving whether this uncaused cause is marely material or involves a supernatural being such as God is a separate issue - one that resolves, for me at least, by the very simple thought that there is nothing in this universe that requires a God to explain it, and indeed there is always a simpler explanation that does not require God. So at best a creator God is a redundant belief, one that is unecessary for our enlightenment. At worst it is ... well, just Google the atrocities commited in the name of God.

That is one viewpoint.

I, however, find it impossible to believe that your brain, the retina of your eye, your heart and liver, etc., evolved by pure coincidence from stromatolites.

So, we are on opposite sides of the issue. And neither of us can prove our belief...or disprove the other's.

• @Prometheus I see what you're saying. From what I can tell, you've taken on the pantheistic viewpoint. That if there is a god, it is the universe itself. What I'm saying is that if there is a god he was present before the universe was created. You can't have something out of nothing. I think the most personal evidence of god would be in ourselves. The moral laws we are bound to are not just here for survival. In what universe would someone be proud of not helping someone who was drowning? When Buddha called something imponderable it was because the ideas took you away from the present moment/awareness, but there are people who still have discovered logical reasons for an existence in god.
  • @Daozen

A timeless, space less, immaterial, eternal god cannot have a first cause. Everything that begins to exist has a cause, something cannot come into being out of nothing. If something is eternal and timeless then it doesn't fall under those rules.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I, however, find it impossible to believe that your brain, the retina of your eye, your heart and liver, etc., evolved by pure coincidence from stromatolites.
    Natural selection is hardly 'pure coincidence', although it's a common mispconception.
    So, we are on opposite sides of the issue. And neither of us can prove our belief...or disprove the other's.
    Actively disproving *anything* can be quite difficult; I can't disprove the flying spaghetti monster, for instance, but that's hardly a basis for believing in it. So knowledge is more a question of proof than disproof, and on that count, evolution has God's measure.
    A timeless, space less, immaterial, eternal god cannot have a first cause.
    Sure. My point is that this is no better of an explanation than simply saying the universe is infinitely old. Also, this kind of God is rather meaningless, because a timeless, spaceless, immaterial God cannot interact with time, space & matter.
    Everything that begins to exist has a cause, something cannot come into being out of nothing.
    I agree. As does Buddha, which is why he called the universe 'beginningless'.
  • @Daozen
    Yes, this god can interact with all these things because it created them! If there is a higher reality other than the material universe we live in, who are we to say what can interact with what? There are occurrences that happen in our universe that go beyond the causal happenings in our universe, such as synchronicity.

Okay, but philosophically and scientifically that is extremely improbable. I think without god the universe becomes nihilistic. I'm not saying you can't live without the idea of god, just that god is a metaphysical necessity for there to be any real absolute meaning, morals, truths. If there is no god there is no absolute right or wrong. You could say it's "socially unacceptable" to rape someone, but without a moral 'law' who's to say what's really wrong other than our own subjective impressions.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Yes, this god can interact with all these things because it created them!
    How can time, space & matter simply appear out of a timeless, spaceless, immaterial substance (which you call God)? You already said, and i agreed, that you cannot create something out of nothing.
    If there is a higher reality other than the material universe we live in, who are we to say what can interact with what?
    That is like saying: there *could* be a flying spaghetti monster, so therefore there *is* a flying spaghetti monster. Where's the proof? It's just a belief based on nothing ... and illogical too. Basically you are now saying God is not 'timeless, spaceless, immaterial' as you previously said - you are now saying he is on some myterious unexplained 'higher level'. This is not a solid logical foundation i have to say.
    I think without god the universe becomes nihilistic. I'm not saying you can't live without the idea of god, just that god is a metaphysical necessity for there to be any real absolute meaning, morals, truths. If there is no god there is no absolute right or wrong. You could say it's "socially unacceptable" to rape someone, but without a moral 'law' who's to say what's really wrong other than our own subjective impressions.
    Well that's simply, self-evidently wrong. Many societies - for example, *Buddhist* ones, have clearly demonstrated that life without a creator God need not be nihilistic. There are many good reasons for morality besides God - the chief one being that cooperation is actually a beneficial strategy for all involved. This is in fact ingrained into our biology - which is why being nice to people, giving and so on, feel good.