Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation: A Debate - Debate between Robert Thurman and Stephen Batchelor

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited September 2011 in Philosophy
The following debate took place in New York City in January 1997 at the home of Michael Marsh. Stephen Batchelor lives in England and is the Director of Studies at the Sharpham College for Buddhist Studies and Contemporary Inquiry. He is the translator of Shantideva's A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, as well as the author of several books, including the recently published Buddhism Without Beliefs (Riverhead). He is currently leading a Tricycle Retreat.

Robert Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Studies at Columbia University, and a cofounder of Tibet House, New York; his translations include The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and works by Vimalikirti and Tsongkapa. Both Batchelor and Thurman are longtime Buddhist practitioners and former monks in the Gelugpa order of Tibetan Buddhism. In the dialogue, "Tricycle" represents questions and comments put forth by those present at the debate—staff members Helen Tworkov, Mary Talbot, and Lorraine Kisly, as well as Michael Marsh, Pico Iyer, and Mark Epstein. The photographs were taken by Sally Boon.

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/reincarnation-debate?page=0,0

Comments

• Good find, Leon. Thanks.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Good find, Leon. Thanks.
    Welcome!:)
    Anytime!
  • Interesting, thanks!
  • Thurman puts forward some blind faith, some pragmatic reasons for believing in literal rebirth and, (here we go again) Ian Stevenson.

But the methodology of Ian Stevenson was not very solid.
    He always came late; he was never there – not a single time – when a child was experiencing or expressing its past life memory for the first time. The story was completed before they called him up.
    He was doing his observations so to speak on “sites” which were trampled and altered by people who had some interest in the case, by tourists, and by time.

http://www.skepticreport.com/sr/?p=482

http://www.skepticreport.com/sr/?p=481

• edited September 2011
    Dr. Charles Tart has some interesting points
    Enemy number one, for Batchelor, is what he perceives as an unquestioning acceptance, among many Buddhists, of the doctrine of rebirth. In the period between his celebrated 1997 book Buddhism without Beliefs and his 2010 Confession of a Buddhist Atheist, Batchelor has arguably morphed from skeptical agnostic on the question of rebirth to outright denier.......Tart argues that because science today has become corrupted by the predominant materialistic ideology, any evidence that suggests a non-material, spiritual dimension to life is dismissed without due investigation. Essential science, he says, has devolved into “scientism, a materialistic and arrogantly expressed philosophy of life that pretends to be the same as essential science but isn’t.” In this atmosphere of dogmatic scientism, says Tart, “genuine skepticism, an honest search for better truths, turns into pseudoskepticism, or debunking.” It is not difficult to see how this ethos frequently defines the approach of the new rationalists.

Scientism and its materialistic rejection of the spiritual dimension of life, says Tart, has damaged contemporary society so deeply that many ordinary people today have responded to its arrogance by adopting an anti-scientific, anti-intellectual position. This may explain why we see creationists clinging to the absurd belief that the earth is less than 7,000 years old; a creationist museum in Arkansas even proposes the fiction that human beings once rode dinosaurs like horses.
    to continue calling Batchelor’s atheist agenda “Buddhism without beliefs” seems disingenuous. You can either be agnostic or you can be atheist, but you can’t be both.
    http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/10/a-difficult-pill-the-problem-with-stephen-batchelor-and-buddhism’s-new-rationalists/
  • Thanks for the link. I'm still searching for some reasoned evidence that reincarnation, out of all the possible after death processes, should past the test of logical belief. Thurman gave it a good try, but only managed to restate the same things that all such people rely on.

Granted, Batchelor was either going easy on a friend or not willing to fully engage in a debate. Anyone who has done some skeptical examination of the "evidence" Thurman presented as fact for reincarnation should have challenged him, both on what studies have shown and his interpretation. No, there are not thousands or hundreds or over forty or even one good example of past life memories. There are only people who claim there are, but properly conducted scientific examination always blows the supposed proof away.

The rest of the argument in the debate for reincarnation seems to be, in my reading, either because Thurman feels he needs that as a motivation to live a compassionate life today (which doesn't say much for his character, if true), or because the people who wrote the Sutras said Buddha believed in reincarnation so we have to believe the same. Funny, a Christian would say that without an eternal Heaven and Hell, we have no motivation to live a sin free life today, and that Jesus believed in a Heaven or Hell after death, not reincarnation, so we have to believe the same. So, both are arguments of equal weight and value. Which one is correct?

But it is interesting.

• No, there are not thousands or hundreds or over forty or even one good example of past life memories. There are only people who claim there are, but properly conducted scientific examination always blows the supposed proof away.
    I could argue this point, that properly conducted examinations of past life memory claims blow the proof away. There was one study that was done, in which the researcher not only looked at the proof, but examined all possible alternative explanations for the cases he worked with. But all books like that seem to do is offer "proof" for those already inclined to believe, and add one more item to the list of studies to be denounced, for those who reject the idea of rebirth/reincarnation. No matter how rigorous the study, it's not going to convince doubters.

Good review of the article, Cinorjer, thank you.
  • "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who disbelieve, no proof is possible."

Which means, of course, to center yourself in the middle (neither belief nor disbelief). :D
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I like that Thurman pointed out the centrality of rebirth within the context of the overall coherence of the Buddha's teaching. I'm not inclined to agree with him on the need for a belief in rebirth to live an ethical, meaningful life.

I do think that much of the Dharma loses its meaning without rebirth. As Thurman pointed out, the wish to save all sentient beings. Why would the Buddha teach on leading a life of renunciation or make dukkha a central tenant if all our suffering ends in death?

It seemed Batchelor was mostly agnostic on the idea of rebirth and in parts seemed to be arguing against reincarnation, the transmigration of the soul, and was mostly saying he didn't think it was necessary, not that it didn't exist altogether.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Hasn't Batchelor shifted from being agnostic on the subject of rebirth to arguing against it in his latest book?

For me also Dharma loses much of its coherency when you throw rebirth away. I've read an interesting book by a guy who accompanied Stevenson on his research trips. He was quite sceptical at first but the things he saw made him really think (and me too).
  • edited September 2011
    It would be nice to see some substantial evidence from those claiming that rebirth doesn't exist. But the truth is, they are not able to provide concrete evidence either, and yet they are accusing others of blind belief. They are doing the very thing that they made fun of. Now, this is amusing. At least the people who believe in rebirth doesn't go around and make fun of others who doesn't.

• Hasn't Batchelor shifted from being agnostic on the subject of rebirth to arguing against it in his latest book?
    Which book is that, sattvapaul? I've read his "Confession" book, and "Buddhism without Beliefs", and I thought he was pretty clearly agnostic in both, but maybe I missed something in the second book...
    edited September 2011
    I'm referring to the "Confession" book. I haven't read it but I've seen it mentioned somewhere that Batchelor has become more of a sceptic than agnostic on this topic. Is that so? Or maybe I got it from some of his talks. I'm just asking out of curiosity.
  • My recollection of the "Confession" book is that his position re: rebirth is that "we don't know", and that that's an ok position. It's not total rejection, nor is it acceptance of something on faith. I think that as a monk in his youth, he rejected rebirth, which is why he left the Tibetan Buddhist monastery he was in. (The lama there made it clear that belief in rebirth is a sine qua non.) But as his thinking evolved, he came to the "official" (for him) position that simply admitting that "we don't know" is acceptable. Which, in view of the fact that the Buddha said to question and test the teachings, is true up to a point. Maybe the agnostic position was a compromise between his own early rejection of rebirth, and Buddhist doctrine.

dharma: "At least people who believe in rebirth don't go around making fun of those who do." Good point.
  • "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who disbelieve, no proof is possible."

Which means, of course, to center yourself in the middle (neither belief nor disbelief). :D
    Yeah, there is no need to have any other position than " don't know ".

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Yep. Don't-Know lends itself well to accepting whatever may turn out to be the reality of any situation. If we get our minds set in stone one way or the other, we fight against whatever comes that doesn't fit out preconceptions.
  • Don't know sounds more okay than "rebirth doesn't exist" or "the Buddha didn't teach rebirth".
  • Thanks for the link. I'm still searching for some reasoned evidence that reincarnation, out of all the possible after death processes, should past the test of logical belief. Thurman gave it a good try, but only managed to restate the same things that all such people rely on.
    Perhaps you should try reading Dr. Ian Stevenson if you are looking for scientific proof:

Probably the best known, if not most respected, collection of scientific data that appears to provide scientific proof that reincarnation is real, is the life's work of Dr. Ian Stevenson. Instead of relying on hypnosis to verify that an individual has had a previous life, he instead chose to collect thousands of cases of children who spontaneously (without hypnosis) remember a past life. Dr. Ian Stevenson uses this approach because spontaneous past life memories in a child can be investigated using strict scientific protocols. Hypnosis, while useful in researching into past lives, is less reliable from a purely scientific perspective. In order to collect his data, Dr. Stevenson methodically documents the child's statements of a previous life. Then he identifies the deceased person the child remembers being, and verifies the facts of the deceased person's life that match the child's memory. He even matches birthmarks and birth defects to wounds and scars on the deceased, verified by medical records. His strict methods systematically rule out all possible "normal" explanations for the child’s memories.

Dr. Stevenson has devoted the last forty years to the scientific documentation of past life memories of children from all over the world. He has over 3000 cases in his files. Many people, including skeptics and scholars, agree that these cases offer the best evidence yet for reincarnation.

Dr. Stevenson's credentials are impeccable. He is a medical doctor and had many scholarly papers to his credit before he began paranormal research. He is the former head of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Virginia, and now is Director of the Division of Personality Studies at the University of Virginia.

In order to help the reader become familiar with Dr. Stevenson's work, a 1988 Omni Magazine Interview is reprinted below. Following the interview is a summary of one of Dr. Stevenson's most famous cases.

• @zen_world

Stevenson's work has been discredited by sceptics.

"Don't know" is OK, but "until I see good reason, why should I believe?" (the sceptical position) is also acceptable, IMO.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    The book I was referring to above is: "Life After Life: Children's Memories of Previous Lives", by Jim Tucker, MD. The author explores all possible alternative explanations to the past life memories, in addition to following up on the children's memories of relatives, homes, etc. that are still existent.

There's another book, "Old Souls: Compelling Evidence From Children Who Remember Past Lives", by Tom Schroder. I haven't read this one, is anyone here familiar with it?

Dismissing Stevenson doesn't dismiss the question of children's past life memories. There have been other researchers.
  • @daozen

I am curious how they discredited him. Can you please show me your reference so I can take a look at it.
  • @daozen

I am curious how they discredited him. Can you please show me your reference so I can take a look at it.
    Start with zenffs links above for some critical analysis, then start google-ing

• I was very happy that this interview/debate popped up shortly after I raised the question of rebirth myself on this very forum.

At risk of having the conversations run in parallel, I've been thinking these two things lately:

1. Action at a distance changes everything. If consciousness/etc is simply information (which I'm not arguing it is or isn't), then this particular aspect of quantum theory makes rebirth much easier to digest.

2. If we're not truly separate as sentient beings (which seems to be a fundamental teaching of Buddhism), then isn't rebirth just a way of expressing that we live on in the lives of other beings once our conventional self's body is no longer alive? I mean, I mentioned this in the other thread, but my biggest hurdle about rebirth is probably the conflict between no-self/emptiness and the assertion that something is passed from one life to another in such a way that we need to act selfishly to get a favorable rebirth for ourselves.

• If we're not truly separate as sentient beings (which seems to be a fundamental teaching of Buddhism), then isn't rebirth just a way of expressing that we live on in the lives of other beings once our conventional self's body is no longer alive? I mean, I mentioned this in the other thread, but my biggest hurdle about rebirth is probably the conflict between no-self/emptiness and the assertion that something is passed from one life to another in such a way that we need to act selfishly to get a favorable rebirth for ourselves.
    This is more or less like my own thoughts on rebirth. I do believe in something called "rebirth"-- but not a one-to-one literal transference of a spirit/soul/consciousness/self (which is in complete contradiction to what the Buddha taught anyway). And our concern should not be for what happens to me me me me when I die anyway-- I am more concerned about the well-being of others right here and now. That's how I understand the Bodhisattva vows anyway.
  • It is true that the transfer of "me" or "my karma" into the next life seems to contradict basic ideas in buddhism, and science.
  • What triggers me sometimes (which is my fault, I know) is that people state that there is proof of rebirth. Not that people believe in rebirth, in spite of the lack of proof.

I honestly think there is no serious proof of rebirth. The anecdotal evidence is no good. Or let’s say it is about as good as the evidence for alien abductions.
    The method of the single most important investigator - Ian Stevenson - was crappy.
    And even when he could explain this strange phenomenon of young children telling fantastic stories (!) the explanation raises more, and more complicated questions than it solves.
    Outside the anecdotal evidence based on memories there isn’t a single fact which suggests this phenomenon even exists. Explaining how it could work is completely out of the picture.

But all of that is no proof that rebirth does not exist. It probably can not be disproved; at least I don’t see how it could be.
    So when people want to believe in some idea which can not be disproved – and the idea does not do too much harm – why should that upset me?

I just don’t like the suggestion - and I once heard Ajahn Brahm talk like this – that “the proof is out there” and the world is just closing its eyes for it.
    There is no proof. Believe what you want, but don’t say there is proof.

So the skeptic says; no, there is no proof.
    The agnostic says; because there is no proof we don’t know.
    (Plus: we have to be very careful with ideas which can not possibly be disproved and for which there is no positive evidence).

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2011
    When I say rebirth can probably not be disproved, I mean that imo the theory is “not falsifiable”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

What observation could be done that would be in conflict with “rebirth” being a fact?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2011

Dismissing Stevenson doesn't dismiss the question of children's past life memories. There have been other researchers.
    There’s been research on false memories.
    False memories are easy to produce.
    I’m not aware of any specific research into “false memories of past lives” though.

Just some fast hits on the subject:
    http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/Articles/sciam.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory_syndrome

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I was wondering how you you could actually debate something that is ultimately unprovable and so subjective?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @daozen

The best skeptical place I've found has an entire page devoted to the Doctor and his work, if you're interested http://www.skepdic.com/stevenson.html

The huge problem with trying to prove anything by running around collecting anecdotes is that all you're doing is collecting tales that seem to support your beliefs. What could he possibly find to disprove his belief? Nothing. All he could ever do is say this one particular story might have a different explanation, but there are lots more stories and something will eventually crop up. This is not evidence of anything but how a person's bias can create huge blind spots in their thinking. All the Doctor did was gather family stories. In every case he wrote about that other scientists were able to check on, they found the story as told exagerated the evidence for and mostly completely ignored obvious explanations of the "mystery".

He did find some interesting cultural trends that he refused to discuss, what he should have been doing all along. People from families and cultures that believed in reincarnation tended to have stories to support that belief, while families that believed in ghosts of the dead interacting with their loved ones developed stories to support that belief, and people from families that believed in a Heavenly destination tended to have Near Death Experience stories of guardian angels and visions of Heaven. It's fascinating how our perception is filtered through and reinforces our beliefs.

Look, I'm not trying to shake someone's belief in reincarnation or heaven or God or whatever. I'm just saying there is not and probably won't be any actual evidence of what by definition lies outside of the world we live in. It's not that I refuse to believe so I'm ignoring evidence. I'd love to have proof that my saintly Grandmother is happy in Heaven and watching over me like Mother claims is the case. I'd love to think people get what they deserved in a future life, at least, because rich, selfish, sadistic and powerful SOBs quite often die peaceful in bed surrounded by their wealth and family, in spite of what you want to believe about karma. It's not even just I don't know, but neither do you, and in fact it doesn't matter.

• :clap:
  • Five poisions that keeps people trapped in Samsara:

Greed, Anger, Ignorance/Delusion, Arrogance, and DOUBT

A Buddhist die with peace even if there is no rebirth.

A scientific debator die with fear during his last breath.

• Signs of the the Dharma Ending Age is ever present...

1. The first sure sign of our Dharma-Ending Age is that the role of the teacher and pupil is reversed in the teaching of the Dharma. Lay people are teaching the Dharma and the Sangha are the pupils, often not respected by their teachers, who think they are not knowledgeable. In many universities and colleges, Buddhism has now become an increasingly popular subject taught by people who may not even believe or practice what they profess. It has become just another subject among the myriads of subjects in the humanities department. When Buddhism is being imparted as academic knowledge and not as a way of life to attain Enlightenment, students may pass the course but will never attain Enlightenment.

2. The second sure sign of this Dharma-Ending Age is that non-Buddhist con artists crowning themselves as true Buddhas mushrooming everywhere and the masses listen to and believe their false claims, pouring billions of dollars into these scamming schemes, whereas on the other hand, when Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis speak the truth, the masses pay little attention or support them.

3. The third sure sign of this Dharma-Ending Age is that in the People's Republic of China, some Bhikkhus have given up celibacy. Upon their deaths, their sons and grandsons fight for the inheritance of the temples property and go to court. When Buddha Sakyamuni established the Sangha community, he also established a set of rules or precepts regulating the operation of the Sangha community, including the sharing of communal property. Accordingly, no communal property shall be owned by anyone because all Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis, like the Buddha, have renounced their worldly lives. This practice of keeping wives and raising children directly breach the Bhikkhu's precepts.

http://walkwithhaiyunjimeng-eng.blogspot.com/2009/12/signs-of-this-dharma-ending-age.html
    Stevenson was an agnostic on rebirth. He tried his best to provide alternative explanations.

Also many of his cases were from children who grew up in families or cultures that didn't accept rebirth, such as Christian.
  • edited September 2011
    @daozen

Sceptics can't accept it but they can't refute it either. At the same time they haven't provide any evidence to support the claim that rebirth doesn't exist .
    edited September 2011
    dharma, it's not up to us to refute it. That's like insisting you prove to us that reincarnation is our destiny after death, and not a final and eternal trip to Heaven or Hell instead, like the Christians believe. You can't because their proof is just as valid as your proof. But, both can't be true. Either everyone comes back, or everyone gets judged by God. Tell me how to debunk their God's Heavenly destination for souls and I'll show you how to debunk anyone's unsupported belief.

Again, all I'm doing is explaining why skeptics shrug their shoulders at what believers see as proof. I have no problem with beliefs supported by faith only. For instance, I believe in the essential goodness of humanity buried somewhere under all that hate and fear, in spite of absolutely no proof and a history that seems to say the opposite.

And Chan_noob, if there's one universal human behavior, it's that people who overvalue tradition will complain that the present generation doesn't respect their elders, doesn't respect authority, and we need to return to that old time religion. The Buddhists of China once railed against this new "Chan" thing that the young people and false teachers embraced and swore it meant the end of the dharma. This isn't the first or last time Buddhism explodes onto the world stage and is given new life by a generation tired of rote ceremony. Tradition has its place, of course. The Dharma has survived thousands of years and across hundreds of cultures and languages, and I really think it can survive an active, intelligent mind. I don't think you have much to worry about, really.
  • edited September 2011
    Since there are some evidence indicating the existence of rebirth , it can't be considered blind belief to be open to the idea of rebirth. Also , it makes sense to ask how people arrive at the conclusion before claiming that rebirth doesn't exist, or should we simply take it as truth ? How is it a rational thing to believe in the claim that there is no rebirth when there are some evidence indicating its existence. Can someone provide some evidence for this claim . At least people are providing some evidence that indicate the existence of rebirth, and it haven't been refuted yet. How then are the ones supporting the idea of rebirth irrational and the ones against it considered rational ?
  • Ch'an Noob, post your 3 points on your Dharma Ending Age thread, and we can discuss it. Here, it's off-topic. But don't knock academic studies of Buddhism. This is actually one way people become interested in Buddhism as a spiritual path, it's a gateway. Many professors of Buddhism are practitioners, but they can't discuss that in class, because most universities are secular institutions, and so professors aren't allowed to proselytize. Students don't take these courses to find Enlightenment, they take them to learn about Buddhism. This may be difficult for a devoted practitioner like yourself to understand--a secular presentation of Buddhism--but it's not a bad thing.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Sceptics can't accept it but they can't refute it either.
    Very easy to refute. It is always children who remember. Similarly, when the Tibetans choose a reincarnate lama, it is always a child. The mind of a child is maleable with very limited mental experience & sense of self. The minds of the children are controlled by zealots with psychic powers (siddhis), who wish to generate faith in people. :coffee:
  • edited September 2011
    "…hauntings do not just happen. It is not merely by chance that you are there when the ghost walks. A physical presence is needed not only to see the apparition but perhaps to cause it to appear."
    Ghostly apparition caught on camera
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljcqzfN4QX1qgb7tk.jpg
    http://myparanormal.tumblr.com/page/3

A ghost story in Anderson, South Carolina captured national attention two years ago when a video of a mysterious blur was caught on camera moving around in a credit union office in a Municipal Business Center. The center is new but the land dates back to the 1800s, when a large estate called Echo Hall stood on the present property.

Psychic Photography
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liw9tmdji11qgb7tk.jpg

This photograph, taken in 1959 using an old-styled Polaroid land camera shows a little girl standing on the stairs of her home’s porch on north Damen Avenue. The street which is in Chicago, no longer exists but has raised eyebrows for years surrounding the topic of psychic photography.

Man experiences poltergeist activity
    A man from Queensland has been experiencing some poltergeist activity in his home for the past six months and has been documenting over at his YouTube channel, collecting various footage from around his house and some EVP sessions. He gives his viewers a small glimpse of what is going on in his house but it is no measure to the affects it has on his family and day-to-day life as the poltergeist is a constant bother, opening cupboards, throwing things off shelves, shaking his closets and whatever other various noises it can make in order to get his attention.

http://myparanormal.tumblr.com/page/3

• edited September 2011
    Sceptics can't accept it but they can't refute it either.
    Very easy to refute. In this type research, it is always children who remember

There are both adults and children, and conducted by both buddhist and non-buddhist.
  • edited September 2011
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who disbelieve, no proof is possible."

I'm sorry, that quote irritates me. If those who believe have no proof for what they believe, then... well, they have no proof for what they believe. Disbelief, then, seems obligatory, and not dogmatic, as the quote suggests.

• There are both adults and children...
    If so, same refutation :)

• Thurman: "And if our lives are just within the parameters of being a coarse body and a coarse mind, whose final destiny is nothing, than the restraint from doing negative things is not that great really—which is the problem with ethics in materialist societies".

I must have a very different understanding of Buddhism to Thurman. To me, Buddhism is about how cultivating selflessness is the key to happiness. Isn't that enough motivation to not behave selfishly? What does the fact that Thurman doesn't get this say about Thurman's Buddhism?

• There are both adults and children...
    If so, same refutation :)

You're claiming that these researchers made these cases up. Are there any proof for that .
  • edited September 2011
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who disbelieve, no proof is possible."

I'm sorry, that quote irritates me. If those who believe have no proof for what they believe, then... well, they have no proof for what they believe. Disbelief, then, seems obligatory, and not dogmatic, as the quote suggests.

It is not unreasonable to ask for proof from both sides for their claims, and that includes the ones claiming that rebirth doesn't exist. Sure , one can refuse to believe but there is not enough evidence to refute rebirth. Various evidence that show up haven't been properly refuted by anyone .

Some may say that it is impossible or very difficult to prove that rebirth doesn't exist so you can't ask for it. But then they are demanding others to carry out this task. Nevertheless, there are some evidence indicating the existence of rebirth.

Now we just need to see some evidence from the other party. Also , they need to refute the evidence provided.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Western science (i.e. materialism, consciousness as brain processes) rejects rebirth.

Burden of proof is on those trying to establish rebirth - because consciousness without material form, flying from one body to another, is against all observed phenomenon. IMO they haven't done so adequately (established proof) for the idea to be taken seriously, scientifically speaking.
    Western science (i.e. materialism, consciousness as brain processes) rejects rebirth.

Burden of proof is on those trying to establish rebirth - because consciousness without material form, flying from one body to another, is against all observed phenomenon. IMO they haven't done so adequately (established proof) for the idea to be taken seriously, scientifically speaking.
    I tend to agree. But the proof won't appear any time soon, unless science lets go of its own deeply entrenched beliefs (like materialism), that actually are not scientific at all, instead many of them actually stem from Christianity.
    edited September 2011
    Thurman: "And if our lives are just within the parameters of being a coarse body and a coarse mind, whose final destiny is nothing, than the restraint from doing negative things is not that great really—which is the problem with ethics in materialist societies".

I must have a very different understanding of Buddhism to Thurman. To me, Buddhism is about how cultivating selflessness is the key to happiness. Isn't that enough motivation to not behave selfishly? What does the fact that Thurman doesn't get this say about Thurman's Buddhism?

Your understanding is correct, and it's why I believe Batchelor was going easy on his friend when he didn't jump all over that, and it make me wonder what sort of strange teaching Thurman's school of Buddhism hands out.

The Noble Truths did not say that the problem was people need to accumulate good karma for the next reincarnation. Buddha said the problem was, people are suffering. Today. Right now. And the remedy to that is to eliminate selfish desires. Not for some future reward in a next life, but because people are suffering in this life.

"Without a God that judges, there's no reason for me not to go out and murder people."

"Without a next life where you're going to be punished for bad karma, there's no reason for me not to go out and murder people."

"Atheists can't be moral, because they have nothing to base their morals on."

If the only thing keeping you from going out and murdering, raping, and stealing is the fear of either God or a bad reincarnation, then please never, never stop believing in God or reincarnation.

For we normal people, the suffering we see in front of us is motivation enough to live by a moral code. Compassion does not require a belief in God or reincarnation, and quite often such beliefs get in the way of acting with compassion. I can't believe any Buddhist, including Thurman, doesn't agree with that, so he must have been unclear in what he was trying to say.
  • Western science (i.e. materialism, consciousness as brain processes) rejects rebirth.

I tend to agree. But the proof won't appear any time soon, unless science lets go of its own deeply entrenched beliefs (like materialism), that actually are not scientific at all, instead many of them actually stem from Christianity.
    Interesting - how do you trace materialism to Christianity?

On reflection I suppose that, technically, rebirth is un-falsifiable.