Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is New Buddhism About Ignoring Precepts?

Comments

• @Iktomi, if it is only rationalizing then you must show us WHY the precepts should be handled by all people in the same way. If a precept isn't followed then it isn't followed. You are concocting an additional stigma onto that not following. The pali word is sankara I believe, concocting.

If someone does not follow the precepts then they do not follow the precepts. We need not embellish on that that they are not buddhists.

Can you link me where buddha said not following a precept makes you not a buddhist? For a layperson.
  • Back on the topic, while I have not been here a very long time, the discussions that involve the precepts don't tend to have many people advocating ignoring them. Mostly we discuss how the precepts translate into practice in our modern world and a lay population. We've also discussed if one can practice Buddhism effectively without keeping the four common Precepts in mind. We also talk a bit about if a Buddhist can and should break a precept when faced with a particular situation. I love seeing minds at work.

The opinions we read of course vary, but they also vary between schools of Buddhism and various teachers.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Further, I was not aware of other members having "the same sense" on these issues: "...many on this board are against observing the precepts. Is this what New Buddhism means?"
    Is that your opinion as well? Or are you speaking for others, which, personally, I think is a bad idea.

I never speak for others. And don't want others speaking for me (such as, "We Buddhists think..."). I was speaking for myself, but if you want to search the forum for old discussions, you'll find a number of threads where the crux of the conversation is about how literal the Precept against stimulants is.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    ..... if you want to search the forum for old discussions, you'll find a number of threads where the crux of the conversation is about how literal the Precept against stimulants is.
    That is true. And yet, my original point was that in spite of these oddities, one can take away good things from this forum. I also have gripes about the aggressive tone of some discussions, but I see that transgression as temporary short comings of people who really want to rethink their lives and give it a more mindful direction. That, of course, is a PROCESS.
  • Buddhism just like any other subject,
    has been studied by people who devoted
    their lives to uncovering the facts.
    The trouble with the people on this forum
    not all , of course, is they make Buddhism
    out to be whatever they want it to be.
    Anyone can write a book about Buddhism.
    But how much does the author really know about
    about Buddhism?
    Everybody has an opinion on evolution,
    but how much credence would you give
    to the opinions of a church pastor?
    We could definitely benefit from listening
    to experts on Buddhism.
  • Comments like 'wow, I didnt know there
    were so many people who like to quote
    the suttas on this forum' or ' I dont really
    care what the suttas say' truly reflect the
    ignorance and arrogance of some people.
  • Suttra-flinging competitions are a thing of the past, mercifully. But knowing what the suttras say on a given subject can be very helpful. I've learned a lot here about that, it's kind of opened up a whole new world. :)
    Buddhism just like any other subject,
    has been studied by people who devoted
    their lives to uncovering the facts.
    The trouble with the people on this forum
    not all , of course, is they make Buddhism
    out to be whatever they want it to be.
    Anyone can write a book about Buddhism.
    But how much does the author really know about
    about Buddhism?
    Everybody has an opinion on evolution,
    but how much credence would you give
    to the opinions of a church pastor?
    We could definitely benefit from listening
    to experts on Buddhism.
    I think you make a very good point.
    Depending on the conversation, I tend to be pretty careful when someone asks me "what I am" in terms of religion. I rarely say "I'm a Buddhist" or "I'm a Christian". I reserve answers like that for (for example) hospital forms. But in a discussion I usually would say something like, "Well, I try to use some principles of Buddhism in my life and some principles of Christianity." Which I think is different (though not necessarily worse) than the person who might say "I'm a Buddhist", but is what people might consider a "lazy Buddhist".

Personally, when it comes to the 5 Precepts, I am strict about them, although with the issue of eating meat, I do...but I think that is a hazy one. Or maybe that's me making excuses.

• edited January 2012
    The point here is that what makes an authoritative statement on Buddhism. Is it the words that the various traditions regard as authoritative? Thera Veda or ancient word or Great Vehicle etc all have something to say. I talk about love because I find this in other traditions outside of Buddhism and because with wisdom it forms the two wings of the dharma. For me, what is important is of this world. And I find that through my Buddhist practice I now have a marvellous capacity for selfless love, appreciation and with this comes some equanimity. I am not talking about capricious love, but a deep connection with all beings and the wisdom of emptiness. I have learnt that that it is out of ones heart that both arise, including authentic forgiveness - otherwise what sort of forgiveness would it be?

In my sample of one, it is possible to have a loving relationship with a special individual that does not detract from one's practice, in fact the opposite - it complements it.

I think we need to admit that we are uncertain, that we don't know that being a lay person necessarily means being less enlightened - it may be the opposite. The dharma is not measured in terms of hours on the cushion or degrees of abstinence, but usually in terms of intention, effort, ability and sila. Of course, the precepts are a foundation and questioning some precepts does not mean a free for all. Many of the precepts were defined in a premodern world in which there was no TV and gender relations were entirely different and there were major consequences of sex such as having children. It was also a world where there was little room for change and was highly regulated in terms of caste and religious practice. Except among the rich there was little time for a hybrid option like western lay buddhists with significant amounts of spare time to practice: it was either homemaker or homeleaver. Ironically, the Buddha was one of the latter and was an itinerant Sadhu - not a monk. If we are uncertain we need to be open to learn.
  • I am not talking about capricious love, but a deep connection with all beings and the wisdom of emptiness.
    :thumbsup:
    exactly, buddha speaks love in this field and anything against this is not in line with the precepts of innately all beings. because it's the true nature of oneself and all.
  • @Iktomi, if it is only rationalizing then you must show us WHY the precepts should be handled by all people in the same way. If a precept isn't followed then it isn't followed. You are concocting an additional stigma onto that not following. The pali word is sankara I believe, concocting.

If someone does not follow the precepts then they do not follow the precepts. We need not embellish on that that they are not buddhists.

Can you link me where buddha said not following a precept makes you not a buddhist? For a layperson.
    Uh, come again? I didn't mention anything about what a Buddhist is or is not. I'm only pointing out that a vow is a vow and it doesn't matter in the least who makes the vow. Lay people break vows, clergy break vows, monastics break vows, and they also keep them. Saying that there is some kind of difference between lay practitioners and monastics when it comes to upholding vows is a feeble attempt at rationalizing.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Of course, the precepts are a foundation and questioning some precepts does not mean a free for all. Many of the precepts were defined in a premodern world in which there was no TV and gender relations were entirely different and there were major consequences of sex such as having children.
    What on earth does the existence of television have to do with Buddhism, the precepts, and the teaching that enlightenment eventually arises from a life lived in observation of the precepts?
    Do you believe that in the modern world somehow there are magically no longer major consequences of sex.... such as having children, having unwanted children when birth control methods fail, having abortions when birth control methods or relationships fail, experiencing damaging physical side effects from birth control methods, transmitting communicable diseases, perpetuating/experiencing sexual abuse and exploitation, perpetuating/experiencing emotional abuse and exploitation, and the generation of dysfunctional personal, family, and community relationships?
  • @thetrouserman, The 5 precepts are not exactly easy to follow without a major commitment to the practice, let alone higher lay commitments. This board seems to me to generally be geared towards and full of people who are VERY new to Buddhism without any formal commitment to practice... so if you are looking for interaction with advanced practitioners there are other good forums.
  • @Iktomi sorry I was reading into you. Anyhow I think you are right when you say breaking vows is breaking vows. I still see each situation has it's own unique context based on the person's life. Each has its own story. Like many people get married but each marriage is different. Thus I think you have to treat each individual as special. Sure breaking vows is breaking vows. yes.
    @thetrouserman, The 5 precepts are not exactly easy to follow without a major commitment to the practice, let alone higher lay commitments. This board seems to me to generally be geared towards and full of people who are VERY new to Buddhism without any formal commitment to practice... so if you are looking for interaction with advanced practitioners there are other good forums.
    Gee. What's so hard about the 5 Precepts?

• sarcasm or serious?
  • auraaura Veteran
    so if you are looking for interaction with advanced practitioners there are other good forums.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    For me, serious. I don't take life unless absolutely necessary (if there's a rattlesnake on my porch, that's an exception, and I don't agree that eating meat is what the Precept is about). I don't steal. At this stage in my life, I don't commit inappropriate sexual acts. I don't lie. I don't drink or take drugs.

Am I perfect? No. But I try my best to fulfill those 5 Precepts.
  • right, same here. but there are people who follow them 100%... it's not easy.
  • Gee. What's so hard about the 5 Precepts?
    Ditto. For example, who steals? That one comes naturally, unless you're a compulsive shoplifter. Slander? Why would you slander anyone? How would that even come up in your day-to-day life? The only tricky one is the first one, and that's not difficult once you get the hang of it. Unless you have an infestation in your home.

Ditto. For example, who steals? That one comes naturally, unless you're a compulsive shoplifter. Slander? Why would you slander anyone? How would that even come up in your day-to-day life? The only tricky one is the first one, and that's not difficult once you get the hang of it. Unless you have an infestation in your home.

NewBuddhist is joining the January 18 strike against SOPA, Protect IP, and OPEN. On that day we will be blacked out from 8am to 8pm EST in protest of SOPA. The Protect IP and OPEN bills are just as bad.

NewBuddhist is joining the January 18 strike against SOPA, Protect IP, and OPEN. On that day we will be blacked out from 8am to 8pm EST in protest of SOPA. The Protect IP and OPEN bills are just as bad.
    even in this forum where the administrator determine to find out who creating double account :p democracy is not as easy unless you "sit" under the bodhi tree :hiding: :om:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2012
    so if you are looking for interaction with advanced practitioners there are other good forums.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    @aura:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/index.php

(Theravada)

and its sister forum,

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

(Mahayana/Vajrayana)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Could i just please ask everyone to not try to turn this into a thread where we all, alike, vie for the opportunity to try to say our piece in an effort to declare we feel we know better, or that our opinion is of more worth than that of others....
    It seems that of late, we've all been a bit on edge and tetchy.
    so let's just take care of each other, rather than play Mexican stand-offs....
    Perhaps it's time yet another topic is closed.
    It's not a Moderator's job to be everybody else's Mindfulness.

The Buddha's lesson on Right Verbal Action is for everyone to consider and practice.... as they are mindfully inclined to do, should they so wish.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/index.html

If we are here because of Buddhism - then let's keep that at the forefront.
  • Television is not mentioned in the sutras or anywhere else in Buddhism, because it reflects a radically different time and place but it impacts on dharma practice and it is not in the precepts. Contraception also has had a major impact on women's lives and this has changed lay life, and what is possible, but it is not in the precepts. I think you have a negative view of the human condition and sex, it can't be avoided. Modernity is +ve and -ve, and so was it with premodern life and so it is with renunciation - which has its shadow -so there is no magic bullet. We have desire for food, and food can also kill us... But there is no precept against eating, sex is not much different, but there is a precept. It is not certain that the sutta's are divine truth and yes, that too is a modern view...but I dont see a rush to premodernity.
    **When quoting another member's comments, it is helpful to mention the poster in question, and even address your response in such a way as to signal to them that you have responded:
    this can be done by writing the member's name, preceding it immediately by the '@' symbol...

like so:

@DharmaField

Television is not mentioned in the sutras or anywhere else in Buddhism, .....
    If the passage quoted is a page or while back, it helps continuity.**

Many thanks! :)

• What is the current condition of Buddhist knowledge?

Buddhism as a single idea, was simply a categorisation by western theologists - in Asia there were a multiplicity of Buddhisms and these were practiced in different ways depending on whether you were a monk or a lay person. Contemporary academic scholarship is ripping to pieces traditional accounts of Buddhist history, uncovering its myths and silences and finding much (or all) of it to be unlikely to be directly the words of the Buddha and much including the entire Mahayana was simply created long after the Buddha died.

So if you are wondering about "TRUE" Buddhism you are either projecting your own view on what cannot, by any rational measure, be regarded as certain. But that does not mean their is nothing worth exploring.

There is something absolutely amazing going on and many westerners who have practiced in the traditional way, and like myself, gone to Asia and followed the old recipes (and if I recall were sometimes the most disciplined and diligent monks), of these a number have had, what they are completely convinced to be, the highest experiences. Their Asian teachers have acknowledged their insight and so have their peers. These highly committed western teachers after reflecting on their own experience and through dialogue have realised that the traditional view despite its great benefits has a great number of historical and cultural elaborations including a lot of culturally based ideas about sex, women, social engagement and work. These teachers have decided that there is no reason why the highest experience cannot be attained in lay life including within a loving sexual relationship. I don't believe they are copping out - although this is how anyone who leaves monastic life is regarded. Lay practice is not easy to do and how we do it is a work in progress, and so we can expect mistakes as we are all learning. It does have benefits, which does not negate the old ways, but New Buddhism simply fits more with western (Socratic and Abrahamic) mores which I believe reflect a different view of the same thing. These, at best, promote critical reflection and love - both of which I find have a different flavour in traditional Buddhism and fit more easily in the contemporary globalised secular context of life - it is not just a white western thing.
    Interestinjg post! Can you provide me some reading material ("contemporary academic scholarship" as you say) in the area of Buddhism-history debunking? I would be interested in learning more about that.

Namaste
  • I can totally see Thetrousermanthetrouserman point. All this 'lay practice is not monastic practice' is such a cop-out. Put your money where your mouth is folks. :)
    Lay practice isn't monastic practice.

There is a difference - even between different monastic practices.
    One thing in which all traditions agree is the four noble truths/eightfold path.
    from there, there is a divergence in teachings, traditions, attitudes, points of view and practices.
    Tibetan Buddhism has something to say about homosexuality, yet HH the DL knows that such views are really not up to current attitudes.... whereas Theravada has no such exclusion....
    so really, it's hardly surprising that there is not only a difference of opinion about what lay followers and monastics practice.
    And it's not a cop-out as far as many are concerned...

Lay practice is not monastic practice. True. But all practice is based on love, so while you, as a laymember, do not have to fold your robe a certain way, you are asked to work very hard on the precepts. At the monastery even laymembers that come to classes are taught the five precepts over and over again, and they do their best to be loving towards all.

All that is asked from the Buddha is that you try to follow the precepts. Some here seem to be saying, in other threads, that they don't even have to follow and so tend to be teaching those that come here that anything goes, such as in the Zen_World thread. It is one thing to steal, it is quite another to come on here and say it is okay to steal becuase the precept is too hard to follow or is old fashioned or whatever.

Lay practice is not monastic practice. True. But all practice is based on love, so while you, as a laymember, do not have to fold your robe a certain way, you are asked to work very hard on the precepts. At the monastery even laymembers that come to classes are taught the five precepts over and over again, and they do their best to be loving towards all.
    I don't see why you say that "all practice is based on love". What has "love" got to do with the Precepts of not taking untimely meals, not using high seats, or not accepting gold or silver?

All that is asked from the Buddha is that you try to follow the precepts. Some here seem to be saying, in other threads, that they don't even have to follow ...
    Show me a thread post anywhere, where anybody simply seems to be saying - you don't have to follow the precepts.
    I have never come across anyone saying that, without at least adding that one must accept the consequences of NOT following them.

please be cautious about making sweeping accusatory statements of this nature.
    It is both careless and inaccurate, and bestows an ill-deserved reputation on other participants.

All that is asked from the Buddha is that you try to follow the precepts. Some here seem to be saying, in other threads, that they don't even have to follow and so tend to be teaching those that come here that anything goes, such as in the Zen_World thread. It is one thing to steal, it is quite another to come on here and say it is okay to steal becuase the precept is too hard to follow or is old fashioned or whatever.
    Here I pretty much agree with you, although I might say it a bit more strongly than just "try to follow the precepts". Something between that and the concept of a commandment.

For me, the only question is interpretation of some of the Precepts. Some, to me, seem rather straight forward (such as abstaining from intoxicating drinks and drugs which can cause heedlessness or not stealing). Others are slightly more vague and open to interpretation, and we often discuss such issues here on the forum.

edited January 2012
    This is why we adhere to the Eightfold Path....to implement Right view, Intention, Speech, Effort, Awareness and Concentration.....
    We need these faculties to be able to each discern for ourselves, to what extent and under which circumstances, we consider the 5 precepts to be of influence to any specific, individual isolated experience....
    It's not a generalised, sweeping Precept. there is much that depends on just how we abstain from [insert precept here].....
    @Federica, yes, I agree.

You know, when I am thinking of breaking a Precept, I try to be mindful and go through a mental exercise where I imagine myself having to write down a justification for my action.

For example, if someone said, "Here, take some of these drugs" or "Here, have a drink", for me personally there is no valid justification for that action. So I don't do it.

A few months ago there was a wild animal trying to burrow into the foundation of my house. It was much easier to justify taking the life of a sentient being, because there were clear dangers to me and my friends and my pets, although in the end I worked with the exterminator to resolve the issue with non-lethal means.
  • @thetrouserman, The 5 precepts are not exactly easy to follow without a major commitment to the practice, let alone higher lay commitments. This board seems to me to generally be geared towards and full of people who are VERY new to Buddhism without any formal commitment to practice... so if you are looking for interaction with advanced practitioners there are other good forums.

I would think if a person came on here preaching that no one has to follow the precepts, that a laymember, one who has taken refuge in Buddha would come on a refute this instead of just thinking, well, that is his/her opinion.

I would think if a person came on here preaching that no one has to follow the precepts, that a laymember, one who has taken refuge in Buddha would come on a refute this instead of just thinking, well, that is his/her opinion.
    The two extremes I don't think you find here are that the Precepts are essentially commandments and that the Precepts can just be ignored.

But in between those extremes, there is a lot of variation in views about the Precepts.

Jeffery, Are you saying that there are different ways to handle stealing, lying, killing, etc?

When one takes refuge in the Buddha one is saying that they are following the Buddha, and this includes the precepts. I am going to assume from your answer that you have not taken refuge. I remember once telling my teacher about a group of Buddhists who are breaking the precepts and are harsh towards others, and he said, They are not true Buddhists," but this doesn't mean that a Buddhist doesn't break a precept; it means that the Buddhists I was referring to didn't think the precepts were necessary.

http://www.world-faiths.com/Buddhism/buddhism.htm a simple lesson
  • Or more simple: Do no harm.
  • For me, serious. I don't take life unless absolutely necessary (if there's a rattlesnake on my porch, that's an exception, and I don't agree that eating meat is what the Precept is about). I don't steal. At this stage in my life, I don't commit inappropriate sexual acts. I don't lie. I don't drink or take drugs.

Am I perfect? No. But I try my best to fulfill those 5 Precepts.
    Handclapping!

edited January 2012

Jeffery, Are you saying that there are different ways to handle stealing, lying, killing, etc?

When one takes refuge in the Buddha one is saying that they are following the Buddha, and this includes the precepts. I am going to assume from your answer that you have not taken refuge.
    And this precisely highlights the differences between some traditions/schools, and their specific attitudes to certain matters.
    one does not have to publicly and officially Take Refuge to declare themselves a Buddhist.
    In fact, as far as I am aware, a Refuge Ceremony may be conducted privately, within the confines of one's own home, far from anyone.
    I remember once telling my teacher about a group of Buddhists who are breaking the precepts and are harsh towards others, and he said, They are not true Buddhists,"
    I personally do not feel this is a justified assessment, from a point of view that obviously differs in tradition to the one your teacher is speaking from.
    but this doesn't mean that a Buddhist doesn't break a precept; it means that the Buddhists I was referring to didn't think the precepts were necessary.
    I have never met a Buddhist from any tradition who does not believe the precepts are necessary.

• All that is asked from the Buddha is that you try to follow the precepts. Some here seem to be saying, in other threads, that they don't even have to follow ...
    Show me a thread post anywhere, where anybody simply seems to be saying - you don't have to follow the precepts.
    I have never come across anyone saying that, without at least adding that one must accept the consequences of NOT following them.

please be cautious about making sweeping accusatory statements of this nature.
    It is both careless and inaccurate, and bestows an ill-deserved reputation on other participants.

Jeffrey just made such a post in this thread.

Most posters here are very into keeping the precepts as can be seen by this thread and their comments on it.
  • But you see, it was very wrong for me to point the finger at Jeffrey, and I don't feel that you should have asked me to point fingers. Jeffrey I am sorry for this, and had I thought I would not have posted it. I am sure you are a very fine person.

• My own sense is that observing the precepts is largely a willingness to acknowledge that the precepts cannot be observed ... and observing them anyway.

Aint it so. :)
  • Is this still going on?

Poster A, and some friends, feel some people do not follow the Precepts or follow them correctly.

Poster B, and some friends, disagree.

Poster A and friends should realize that everyone's path is different, that things are not black and white, and the paths of Poster B and friends do not harm A's practice. Poster A should also realize that not everyone here is Buddhist, and therefore the Precepts may not apply to *everyone.*

This is a forum, and therefore a place for discussion. Discussion means interpretations, opinions, experiences. If one is looking for a homogenus group, one has perhaps to the wrong place.

(Poster B and friends should realize that newcomers may need help getting cosy, if they are to stay.)

Have a beautiful day, everyone. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    This is quite simply rationalizing, to tell the truth.
    Do you think laypeople should go homeless, shave their head, quit their job, wear only robes, take vows of poverty and celibacy, as well as 300 other vows, etc, etc, etc?

such as in the Zen_World thread. It is one thing to steal, it is quite another to come on here and say it is okay to steal becuase the precept is too hard to follow or is old fashioned or whatever.
    The difference here is that the person that the thread was about, was not violating any precepts. :)

• Yes.
    at least for a period of time.
    if they are serious about ending samsara.
    Do you think laypeople should go homeless, shave their head, quit their job, wear only robes, take vows of poverty and celibacy, as well as 300 other vows, etc, etc, etc?

Yes.
    at least for a period of time.
    if they are serious about ending samsara.

However, if they do that, then they are no longer, by definition, a layperson. They are now a monk, right? The Buddha himself did not tell everyone that they should become monks. The Buddha gave only 5 or 8 precepts to laypeople, not 300, right? Was the Buddha himself simply wrong? I don't see how that can be the case. :)

• auraaura Veteran
    edited January 2012

http://www.dhammawheel.com/index.php
    (Theravada)
    thank you!
    Television is not mentioned in the sutras or anywhere else in Buddhism, because it reflects a radically different time and place but it impacts on dharma practice and it is not in the precepts.
    How on earth does the existence of television impact anyone's practice of the dharma?
    Contraception also has had a major impact on women's lives and this has changed lay life, and what is possible, but it is not in the precepts.
    Sexually transmitted diseases, abortion, infanticide, contraception, sexual abuse and exploitation, emotional abuse and exploitation, unwanted abandoned and neglected children, dysfunctional relationships and dysfunctional families and communities all existed at the time of the Buddha. Sex had major consequences at the time of the Buddha and sex still has major consequences.
    The creation and nurturing of right relationship through avoidance of sexual misconduct is a teaching of Buddhism.
    The creation of dysfunctional and exploitative relationship through the use of sex because one just has this desire and cannot help oneself is not a teaching of Buddhism.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I think it's hard to speak of "precepts" in general; it would probably be more useful to speak of individual precepts.

I think most Buddhists, new or otherwise, would put a lot of weight on the precept to avoid killing.

On the other hand, people have different approaches to intoxicants. Some believe that "not abusing intoxicants" is the precept, whereas others believe "not consuming intoxicants" is the precept.

If we're talking about the admittedly difficult subject of "sex with a teacher," it's still not clearcut, because there are many husband/wife lay teachers in the West (and there also were in Tibet, for example). If we're talking "abusive sex," I think we can safely say the issue is with the "abusive" part as much as it is with the sex part.

The West is very alcohol-oriented; I do think it is possible that, in striving to figure out what to do about the intoxicant precepts, "new" Buddhists might be seen as trying to avoid precepts. It could be, though, that we're just navigating the sometimes-agitated waters where Eastern and Western cultures meet.
This discussion has been closed.