Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is New Buddhism About Ignoring Precepts?

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    What I meant by that is that the Buddhist teaching of "moderation" might be just as important as chewing out fellow sangha for having a glass of wine.
  • 'The West is very alcohol-oriented;'
    Have you been to China, korea or japan?
  • I don't think the issue is with the teacher having sex, since when I mentioned that the teacher at my Sangha is married and I was told that was not the same thing. So it may not be about the sex precept at all, but perhaps using the trusted position of a teacher to take advantage of vulnerable students? I do have a problem with the idea of teachers doing this... But in the post that started all this, it does not sound like the teacher is preying on vulnerabilities.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I've never met any Buddhist teacher yet that was even mildly rude to me, let alone preyed on my vulnerabilities. In my experience, the teachers are far less rude than the students, lol. But if you join a center and the teacher is very rude to you, never mind if he/she preys on you, leave immediately and find a different teacher.

Hermitwin, yes I was raised in HK. Here in Wisconsin, at least, our alcohol consumption is very high; so I could see the intoxicants precept being a big source of discussion. I'm not saying other cultures don't also drink.

• My own sense is that observing the precepts is largely a willingness to acknowledge that the precepts cannot be observed ... and observing them anyway.
    Aint it so. :)
    I still don't understand this.
    such as in the Zen_World thread. It is one thing to steal, it is quite another to come on here and say it is okay to steal becuase the precept is too hard to follow or is old fashioned or whatever.
    The difference here is that the person that the thread was about, was not violating any precepts. :)
    We don't know that. Sexual misconduct may have been involved, that's why the thread generated such a heated discussion.
    This is why we adhere to the Eightfold Path....to implement Right view, Intention, Speech, Effort, Awareness and Concentration.....
    We need these faculties to be able to each discern for ourselves, to what extent and under which circumstances, we consider the 5 precepts to be of influence to any specific, individual isolated experience....
    This is a good point. It's all a package deal, made up of complementary parts.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We don't know that. Sexual misconduct may have been involved, that's why the thread generated such a heated discussion.
    Therein lay the problem: I think the OP was absolutely convinced that sexual misconduct HAD occurred - and when they found that not everyone held that self-same opinion - that's when sparks flew.....
    This is why we adhere to the Eightfold Path....to implement Right view, Intention, Speech, Effort, Awareness and Concentration.....
    We need these faculties to be able to each discern for ourselves, to what extent and under which circumstances, we consider the 5 precepts to be of influence to any specific, individual isolated experience....
    This is a good point. It's all a package deal, made up of complementary parts.

this is where all traditions start from - the launchpad, if you like, is the commonly-held premise of the 4 and the 8.

Once airborne, all traditions have varying flight-paths.....

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    What I meant by that is that the Buddhist teaching of "moderation" might be just as important as chewing out fellow sangha for having a glass of wine.
    I am a strict adherent to no alcohol or drugs. But I don't project my strictness onto others. If we were out at a restaurant and you or the others had wine or beer or mixed drinks, fine with me. I'm not going to chew you out, even if I do think you are unwise. I don't see a lot of chewing people out here.

'The West is very alcohol-oriented;'
    Have you been to China, korea or japan?
    Or Thailand. How about some Mekong Whiskey? Chang Beer? Singha Beer?

• Yes.
    at least for a period of time.
    if they are serious about ending samsara.
    Lay practice isn't monastic practice.
    This is quite simply rationalizing, to tell the truth.
    Do you think laypeople should go homeless, shave their head, quit their job, wear only robes, take vows of poverty and celibacy, as well as 300 other vows, etc, etc, etc?

However, if they do that, then they are no longer, by definition, a layperson. They are now a monk, right? The Buddha himself did not tell everyone that they should become monks. The Buddha gave only 5 or 8 precepts to laypeople, not 300, right? Was the Buddha himself simply wrong? I don't see how that can be the case. :)

A lay practitioner may take any number of vows. Keeping them is the hard part. And indeed, if lay practitioners only have 5 - 8 precepts compared to a monastic's 300, that makes the rationalizing even weaker because it would be far easier to uphold a small percentage of precepts.
  • Could i just please ask everyone to not try to turn this into a thread where we all, alike, vie for the opportunity to try to say our piece in an effort to declare we feel we know better, or that our opinion is of more worth than that of others....
    It seems that of late, we've all been a bit on edge and tetchy.
    so let's just take care of each other, rather than play Mexican stand-offs....
    Perhaps it's time yet another topic is closed.
    It's not a Moderator's job to be everybody else's Mindfulness.
    Lol, very good!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    A lay practitioner may take any number of vows. Keeping them is the hard part. And indeed, if lay practitioners only have 5 - 8 precepts compared to a monastic's 300, that makes the rationalizing even weaker because it would be far easier to uphold a small percentage of precepts.
    Remember that the thread relates to members here 'ignoring' the precepts.
    I think we've established that members here are not into ignoring them - but there is a diversity of opinion with regard to the strictness and relevance of the precepts and the subsequent adhesion....

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I think we've established that members here are not into ignoring them - but there is a diversity of opinion with regard to the strictness and relevance of the precepts and the subsequent adhesion....

I think this is a fair point. When it comes to the fifth precept, for example, I understand its purpose differently than many, so I don't personally view having one drink as being as big of a deal as, say, killing an insect, lying, taking something that doesn't belong to me, etc.
  • I believe you are correct here. On the other thread there were a handful of people who saw nothing wrong with a teacher having a relationship with a student and so zen_world was also badgered. Here I see all kinds of comments from people and almost all desiring to uphold the precepts. Such a different feel to this thread and so enjoyable to read everyone's opinions, and so I much appreciate it.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @Iktomi, if it is only rationalizing then you must show us WHY the precepts should be handled by all people in the same way. If a precept isn't followed then it isn't followed. You are concocting an additional stigma onto that not following. The pali word is sankara I believe, concocting.

If someone does not follow the precepts then they do not follow the precepts. We need not embellish on that that they are not buddhists.

Can you link me where buddha said not following a precept makes you not a buddhist? For a layperson.
    Jeffery, Are you saying that there are different ways to handle stealing, lying, killing, etc?

When one takes refuge in the Buddha one is saying that they are following the Buddha, and this includes the precepts. I am going to assume from your answer that you have not taken refuge. I remember once telling my teacher about a group of Buddhists who are breaking the precepts and are harsh towards others, and he said, They are not true Buddhists," but this doesn't mean that a Buddhist doesn't break a precept; it means that the Buddhists I was referring to didn't think the precepts were necessary.

http://www.world-faiths.com/Buddhism/buddhism.htm a simple lesson
    There are different ways to handle those. Stealing seems pretty cut and dried but maybe like Robin Hood?

Lying, for example lying to nazi troops about the jewish family hiding under the floor boards. Is it proper Buddhism to turn them in so one doesn't lie?

Killing, say you're driving down the street and you see someone pull out an automatic weapon and shooting into a crowd, is it proper Buddhism to avoid that person or would it be better to swerve into them to stop the killing?

Intoxication, if you're is in the final stages of a terminal illness and in a lot of pain is it unbuddhist to ease your pain if doing so would cause mental cloudiness?

I can't come up with a good reason for sexual misconduct but I'm not sure its generally agreed upon where the line is in every situation exactly.

Also, the precepts aren't commandments that one is required to adopt in order to benefit from the Buddhist teachings. They are an aid to ones practice. I don't think you would say an alchoholic shouldn't practice Buddhism unless they can give up alchohol. Certainly getting sober would be beneficial to them but its not a requirement to practice.
    edited January 2012
    I believe you are correct here. On the other thread there were a handful of people who saw nothing wrong with a teacher having a relationship with a student and so zen_world was also badgered. Here I see all kinds of comments from people and almost all desiring to uphold the precepts. Such a different feel to this thread and so enjoyable to read everyone's opinions, and so I much appreciate it.
    My issue was that I personally didn't feel we had enough information about what was going on to make such snap judgments and potentially slander the teacher; and while I agreed that sex at retreats and temples are generally inappropriate, I also pointed out that some traditions do allow their 'priests' or what have you to be married and have sexual relationships. (I mentioned, for example, that the founder of the Jodo Shinshu tradition, Shinran Shonin, did away with the celibacy requirement, allowing priests to marry and have families.)

In this particular case, however, we don't know the tradition, the type of place or temple they're staying (e.g., I find it odd they're not under vows of celibacy if it's a temple), nor do we even know if these people are engaged in a sexual relationship for sure (it's only suspected, not confirmed), so I was wary of passing judgment and saying that it is, without a doubt, unethical or whatever you'd want to call it because I'd personally need a bit more to go on.
  • Person raises a good point that I've been wondering about. Is the "greater good" principle in applying the precepts found in Theravada as well as Mahayana? It's presented as part of the Bodhisattva vows or principles in Mahayana, so I thought it was unique to that tradition, but maybe not.

@person: the "good reason" for sexual misconduct, as presented in the Secondary Bodhisattva Vows (see berzinarchives.com), opens a real Pandora's Box. It says that if a student is really fixated on having sex with the teacher and would abandon the Dharma if she (it's written from the male perspective) didn't, and furthermore if there would be a risk that her anger or bitterness toward the Dharma would carry over to subsequent lifetimes, then the teacher is obligated to have sex with the student. You can see how this could lead to teachers projecting desire onto the student.
    edited January 2012
    Person raises a good point that I've been wondering about. Is the "greater good" principle in applying the precepts found in Theravada as well as Mahayana? It's presented as part of the Bodhisattva vows or principles in Mahayana, so I thought it was unique to that tradition, but maybe not.
    It depends. I know some Theravadins who take a very strict, letter-of-the-law stance on the precepts (particularly those who study the Abhidhamma), and those who have a more 'greater good' approach. I think that in any tradition you're going to have variations.

I think this is a fair point. When it comes to the fifth precept, for example, I understand its purpose differently than many, so I don't personally view having one drink as being as big of a deal as, say, killing an insect, lying, taking something that doesn't belong to me, etc.
    Again the issue is quite simple. No need to rationalize. If a lay practitioner makes a vow they either uphold it or they do not. If a monastic makes a vow they either uphold it or they do not. Either way, it doesn't mean they are not Buddhist practitioners. And in this way there is no difference at all between lay and monastic practice.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@person: the "good reason" for sexual misconduct, as presented in the Secondary Bodhisattva Vows (see berzinarchives.com), opens a real Pandora's Box. It says that if a student is really fixated on having sex with the teacher and would abandon the Dharma if she (it's written from the male perspective) didn't, and furthermore if there would be a risk that her anger or bitterness toward the Dharma would carry over to subsequent lifetimes, then the teacher is obligated to have sex with the student. You can see how this could lead to teachers projecting desire onto the student.
    Thanks, yeah I was aware of that, I just really don't agree with it. It seems like a copout and the creation of a loophole. I suppose theoretically it could be possible but there should be better ways of handling that kind of situation.
  • I agree Person.
    edited January 2012

Again the issue is quite simple. No need to rationalize. If a lay practitioner makes a vow they either uphold it or they do not. If a monastic makes a vow they either uphold it or they do not. Either way, it doesn't mean they are not Buddhist practitioners. And in this way there is no difference at all between lay and monastic practice.
    Sure, and I never said there was a fundamental difference between lay and monastic practice. But I do think that there are different approaches to observing the precepts that depend, in part, on how one understands their purpose.

In my case, for example, I don't see what I wrote as a rationalization, it's simply an explanation of my understanding of, and approach to, the fifth precept, which differs from the other four. That said, I know when I break the fifth precept that I'm breaking it. I don't make excuses and try to argue that my drinking a glass of wine doesn't technically violate it, but I also don't beat myself about it, either (and my link above explains the reason why).

I disagree with that completely. But first, let me say that no one should be deciding if another person is a Buddhist practitioner.

However, a monastic in the Buddhist traditions of which I am aware participates in a public ceremony where he agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the order, including the Precepts. There is usually a governing body or more than one governing body regulating the order. In Thailand, for example, you have the Supreme Sangha, as well as a governmental office, both of which oversee a somewhat strict interpretation of Buddhist tradition.

That is much different than the lay Buddhist in Thailand, whom no one regulates.

• That is much different than the lay Buddhist in Thailand, whom no one regulates.
    I must be missing the point... what good is fulfilling a vow if it is not regulated by ourselves???

Sure, and I never said there was a fundamental difference between lay and monastic practice. But I do think that there are different approaches to observing the precepts that depend, in part, on how one understands their purpose.

In my case, for example, I don't see what I wrote as a rationalization, it's simply an explanation of my understanding and approach of the fifth precept. I know when I break the fifth precept that I'm breaking it. I don't make excuses, but I also don't beat myself about it, either; and my link above explains the reason why.
    I think that's a very reasoned approach to it, providing that you see a difference between a justification for breaking a Precept and rationalizing breaking a Precept.

Let me illustrate the difference I am getting at here:

My father (who was not Buddhist) could rationalize many reasons to drink. But it really all came down to him simply wanting a drink.

A mountain lion begins to prowl just outside my house (I live in Colorado). While I would contact the appropriate authorities, I would justify what I needed to do to protect myself and my loved ones.

Lying, for example lying to nazi troops about the jewish family hiding under the floor boards. Is it proper Buddhism to turn them in so one doesn't lie?....
    Ah... gobbless Godwin's Law....!

Incidentally, hasn't anybody ever stopped to consider that whatever decision you make, Mindfully, with consideration and skilfulness, regarding a precept and generating good Kamma - there is always an 'equal and opposite' reaction, in that inevitably, someone, somewhere, will suffer to some degree and extent, as a result of your Right Effort. to do the Right Thing?

That is much different than the lay Buddhist in Thailand, whom no one regulates.
    I must be missing the point... what good is fulfilling a vow if it is not regulated by ourselves???
    There's a big difference between a governmental body regulating one group of people, and an individual regulating themselves. The governmental body can kick the monk out of the order. You can't kick yourself out of Buddhism.

In my case, for example, I don't see what I wrote as a rationalization, it's simply an explanation of my understanding of, and approach to, the fifth precept, which differs from the other four. That said, I know when I break the fifth precept that I'm breaking it. I don't make excuses and try to argue that my drinking a glass of wine doesn't technically violate it, but I also don't beat myself about it, either (and my link above explains the reason why).
    That's all well and good, Jason, but isn't your reasoning just as valid for a monastic as it is for you? What is the difference, if there is a difference?
  • That is much different than the lay Buddhist in Thailand, whom no one regulates.
    There's a big difference between a governmental body regulating one group of people, and an individual regulating themselves. The governmental body can kick the monk out of the order. You can't kick yourself out of Buddhism.

Of course you can kick yourself out of practicing Buddhism. But anyway... what good is upholding vows only because you'll be kicked out otherwise???

Of course you can kick yourself out of practicing Buddhism. But anyway... what good is upholding vows only because you'll be kicked out otherwise???
    No. That's not the same at all.

If you decide to move away from Buddhism, you can always come back. It's your choice.

When you are kicked out of an order of monks for not following the Precepts, choice is taken away from you.

Same as with this forum. Some people get banned and can't return. That's a lot different than me deciding (as I did) several weeks ago to take a few weeks off and then possibly return.

Hmmm. My little wheel with options to edit is not working.

Following up on my last post:

And the difference between following vows for yourself versus a group, is that in one failure you only affect yourself. In the other failure, you affect the group to whom you have made the vows.
    That's all well and good, Jason, but isn't your reasoning just as valid for a monastic as it is for you? What is the difference, if there is a difference?
    I suppose so; however, in the case of monastics, they also have penalties prescribed by the Vinaya for breaches, and are obligated to confess them and accept the penalty, something which lay-followers don't have. I think this makes monastic vows appear to be more strict and weighty. For example, a monk who kills someone incurs a parajika and is expelled from the monastic sangha permanently. A lay-follower who kills someone, on the other hand, isn't expelled or excommunicated from being a lay-follower.

And the difference between following vows for yourself versus a group, is that in one failure you only affect yourself. In the other failure, you affect the group to whom you have made the vows.
    Refresh the page and then try again.

Refresh the page and then try again.
    Thank you!

• That's all well and good, Jason, but isn't your reasoning just as valid for a monastic as it is for you? What is the difference, if there is a difference?
    I suppose so; however, in the case of monastics, they also have penalties prescribed by the Vinaya for breaches, and are obligated to confess them and accept the penalty, something which lay-followers don't have. I think this makes monastic vows appear to be more strict and weighty. For example, a monk who kills someone incurs a parajika and is expelled from the monastic sangha permanently. A lay-follower who kills someone, on the other hand, isn't expelled or excommunicated from being a lay-follower.
    Yall seem to have missed the entire point of ethical conduct and making religious vows. Failure to act morally does not only affect yourself.
    edited January 2012
    No, Iktomi. We simply weren't addressing that aspect of the issue.

And, additionally, I thought one of the major aspects of practicing Buddhist principles was progress toward nibanna.
    edited January 2012
    Yall seem to have missed the entire point of ethical conduct and making religious vows. Failure to act morally does not only affect yourself.
    I never said that it did.

For what it's worth, I understand the precepts to be training rules that are voluntarily undertaken to help protect oneself, as well as other sentient beings, from the results of unskillful actions, and to help provide the meditator with the peace of mind conducive to a successful meditation practice.
  • No, Iktomi. We simply weren't addressing that aspect of the issue.
    ???
    And, additionally, I thought one of the major aspects of practicing Buddhist principles was progress toward nibanna.
    And killing others is not a good way to make progress towards nibanna, right? Doesn't matter if the killing is done by a monastic or lay practitioner, right?
    Acting morally will also impact negatively on others.
    Always, somewhere, someone, will suffer as a result of your decision to 'act morally'.
    bit of a dilemma, isn't it, if you think on it completely?

"He who deliberates fully before taking each step will spend his entire life on one leg".

'Damned' if you do, 'damned' if you don't........... ;)

• Yall seem to have missed the entire point of ethical conduct and making religious vows. Failure to act morally does not only affect yourself.
    I never said that it did.

For what it's worth, I understand the precepts to be training rules that are voluntarily undertaken to help protect oneself, as well as other sentient beings, from the results of unskillful actions, and to help provide the meditator with the peace of mind conducive to a successful meditation practice.
    And this applies equally to lay and monastic practitioners. :)
  • Yall seem to have missed the entire point of ethical conduct and making religious vows. Failure to act morally does not only affect yourself.
    Always, somewhere, someone, will suffer as a result of your decision to 'act morally'.

"He who deliberates fully before taking each step will spend his entire life on one leg".

Simply don't make any vows you can't keep. That's my suggestion.

Fede's point was that nobody can keep these vows from this point of view.
    So following your suggestion would mean nobody would ever take any vows.

Personally i just believe that all we can do is try our best and thats all we need/can do about everything in our entire life:).

Fede's point was that nobody can keep these vows from this point of view.
    So following your suggestion would mean nobody would ever take any vows.

Personally i just believe that all we can do is try our best and thats all we need/can do about everything in our entire life:).
    Huh? Well, if for example you don't believe that it's possible to not kill another person or to not get drunk then don't make vows to that effect. Analysis paralysis often comes into play when trying to rationalize...
    edited January 2012
    That - as @patbb just pointed out - is not the point.
    Whether you make the vows or not, whether you adhere to moral and ethical principles or not, whatever decision you make to do something good, to do it well and to do it as an upright, righteous member of society - will somehow impact negatively on someone else.

Huh? Well, if for example you don't believe that it's possible to not kill another person or to not get drunk then don't make vows to that effect. Analysis paralysis often comes into play when trying to rationalize...
    The whole point of following the Precepts is to rationalise. It's part of the eightfold path, to do so....
    but no matter which way you turn in being a virtuous and righteous Buddhist who adheres to the precepts, at one point or another, along the line - you are stuffing someone over, much to their detriment.

• Huh? Well, if for example you don't believe that it's possible to not kill another person or to not get drunk then don't make vows to that effect. Analysis paralysis often comes into play when trying to rationalize...
    The whole point of following the Precepts is to rationalize...
    I can agree that for some this is true.
    No, Iktomi. We simply weren't addressing that aspect of the issue.
    ???
    And killing others is not a good way to make progress towards nibanna, right? Doesn't matter if the killing is done by a monastic or lay practitioner, right?
    There is not simply one plane of discussion here. There are different facets to the issue(s).

One topic I discussed is that there is a difference between breaking a commitment that one makes solely to oneself, as compared to breaking a commitment when you become part of a group. If tonight I break my commitment to myself by sitting in my home, alone, and have a glass of rum and coke...it affects no one except myself and sets me back on my path. If a monk violates the Precept of not drinking, his actions may affect the perspective of a few or many people about respecting Buddhist monks and/or Buddhism. And if you think that kind of affect doesn't really happen, look at what has happened to the number of Catholic churches in the U.S. when priests have broken their vows.

Now, in order to win your argument, you want to bring in the case of murder. Okay. If a private citizen in Thailand who happens to be Buddhist murders someone, not many people are going to say, "See, a Buddhist murdered someone. Buddhism is not a valid religion." That murderer has affected another person and that person's family and friends AND certainly set back his path. On the other hand, if a Buddhist monk in Thailand murders someone, it will be big news, it will affect his own temple and that whole community and will affect Buddhism in Thailand. The Supreme Sangha will go into a tizzy, the government will begin to crack down on monks. A large segment of the population will be affected. AND, the then ex-monk will have affected his own path.

Now, I have discussed a couple of situations. There are hundreds of others we could dream up, some of which would be rather unique. I have not attempted in this post to discuss all aspects of the topic. I am simply presenting a couple of scenarios.

But in all scenarios there is the personal level of the violator of the Precept, possibly the affect on a victim, and possibly an affect on a whole community.

Those are all different aspects of the questions at hand.

• In times of confusion, compassion may be the answer . If we follow precepts then it will help us. If someone does not, then perhaps we need to show them compassion instead of trying to understand them or deal with them.
    In times of confusion, compassion may be the answer . If we follow precepts then it will help us. If someone does not, then perhaps we need to show them compassion instead of trying to understand them or deal with them.
    But I don't think we're trying to understand or deal with real individuals here. I think we're trying to sort out the concept of, and human reactions to the Precepts.

In times of confusion, compassion may be the answer . If we follow precepts then it will help us. If someone does not, then perhaps we need to show them compassion instead of trying to understand them or deal with them.
    Too simplistic, at this point....
    "If we follow the Precepts they will help us" - but will do someone else harm.

By 'someone else' do you mean, a 'non-Buddhist' someone else, a 'Buddhist layperson' someone else, or a 'Buddhist ordained person' someone else?

see, all these things have different results and impacts....

• If tonight I break my commitment to myself by sitting in my home, alone, and have a glass of rum and coke...it affects no one except myself and sets me back on my path. If a monk violates the Precept of not drinking, his actions may affect the perspective of a few or many people about respecting Buddhist monks and/or Buddhism. And if you think that kind of affect doesn't really happen, look at what has happened to the number of Catholic churches in the U.S. when priests have broken their vows.
    This doesn't make any sense. For the scenario to be equivalent the monk would also have affected only himself "alone," yet he is in the public eye and you are not. If you were drinking in public you would be affecting others directly, and your discernment would be impaired by the alcohol. But even if you were alone, it's your choice to believe that your actions do not effect others.

In any case, your reasoning suggests it is harder for lay practitioners to uphold their vows because they don't have the added social incentives to abide by them.
This discussion has been closed.