Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being a loafer

FenixFenix Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
So, I always am really horrible writing discussions, to sound like something worthy talking about. However, there is a problem in my experience and I wondered about the sangha´s feelings on something like being out of work.

See, I live in a country, were I´m paid everything I need and I don´t have to do anything.

I want to do something with my life, that I want to do. Not what is supposed of me.

Am I a totally useless loafer, since I´m not doing work. Or is someone considered a Loafer if they choose not to do work?

At the moment, I go to a evening colloge for adults. In my spare time I volunteer at the animal shelter. I read the most fascinating books, I draw, I imagine, I meditate. Everything I want to. But now I should be doing, from 8 - 5 work so that most of the things I do would be out of the question. I know this is a reality for some people and I´m not trying to be offensive about that. so should I work, to live, to work?

Here´s a video on something that is pertinent

Comments

• In my opinion, you are being paid with money that others have earned. You are able bodied and able minded but choose not to earn your own way and are content to receive un-needed handouts from others. Seems lazy and slothful. Hey, you asked!
  • @mfranzdorf

Ye, thats true, I did ask. But, still, I can´t imagine living to work, work for a living, you know?
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited February 2012
    So I guess I should go get a job, that will pay, less than I´m getting now, and also it´s probably absoulutly useless.

I dont want to waste my time. Doing some bullshit. standing round all day, calling it work, so you can fit into the social structure. makes me angry.

doing work for works sake, under the slogan "atleast I´m not like one of those loafers"
  • just be sincere and genuine in everything you do.

be it work and outside of work. slowly work is becoming more comfortable.

just make the best out of everything. and if you're going to loaf. well enjoy it haha.
  • If you choose to live by your own means, sustaining yourself, great! Rock on dude. BUT, you said you are paid what you need to live, paid, as in money, as in money others have earned that could be going to those not able to work for themselves.
  • I just feel that I am a better person if I find my own way than conforming to the needs of others(society).

I guess its no different than being born into a rich family. And the fact that most people say things like "work hard" yada yada, on forever. Just that fact that people say things like that I know that they have to be wrong. you know. Can anyone relate?

@taiyaki

Thanks for the comment. It is a philosophical stance which you present. when I am looking for something more concrete.
  • it´s like your put into life and made to play by others rules.
  • Everything in life is work - not just the things that bring you financial reward.

I am content for you to be paid my hard earned tax contribution so you can pursue your dreams and life.

It is for you to decide what you do with your life, how you live it and your contribution to society - consider carefully whether you take more than you receive - if you do, then you may find yourself (more often than not) in conflict with yourself and others.
  • Your desire to volunteer and so on is nice, if you honestly feel you deserve to by paid by your government to "loaf" as you put it, good for you.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Thanks, I enjoyed listening!

• I think that wealth should be used to help others. If you are in a position to help than it becomes your responsibility. But you should think about what you want to do. ...the sky is the limit.

Just make sure it makes you happy and it's fulfilling.
  • There are some kingdoms like in Saudi Arabia in which people are born with a million dollars. ..the king provides this to the people...I forget exactly what city though.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I hate working too. I'm envious of your situation. A monk also lives off the hard work of others though. So I think the important thing is to find something that fulfills you and makes your life meaningful.
  • I guess its not possible to grow all my own food?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There are some kingdoms like in Saudi Arabia in which people are born with a million dollars. ..the king provides this to the people...I forget exactly what city though.
    Dubai is like this.
  • I guess its not possible to grow all my own food?
    Why not.?

What is stopping you?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited February 2012
    it´s like you're put into life and made to play by others rules.
    because it is.

it is a game. making money to pay the bills and putting a bit of it aside to help others (taxes) and share services.

now if we all play the game, reasonably, then we all get to live a decent life.

and if too many people take advantage of the game and slack off, the whole system will crumble.

that's the theory.

if it was my game we would all sit around and do nothing but hippies tried that and it usually didn't work for them. After a while, living on some commune, they realized it was a pain in the ass and alot of work to actually grow the food, make the cloths...
    And decided the other game was easier so they went back ;)

there are always alternative to the usual game, no one force me to participate in society.
    if i wanted to, i'd save some money and buy a patch of land, then stay by myself and try to survive. but that seem quite uncomfortable and difficult so it's not very tempting to me.

so i chose the society game instead.
  • So, I always am really horrible writing discussions, to sound like something worthy talking about. However, there is a problem in my experience and I wondered about the sangha´s feelings on something like being out of work.

See, I live in a country, were I´m paid everything I need and I don´t have to do anything.

I want to do something with my life, that I want to do. Not what is supposed of me.

Am I a totally useless loafer, since I´m not doing work. Or is someone considered a Loafer if they choose not to do work?
    Well you did ask...you're a loafer. Why do you think it's ok for hard-working mothers and fathers to pay taxes for the benefit of you not working?

Physical labor gives you a real sense of purpose, and of course money.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    What do you go to evening college for, I mean what are you interested in?

I believe you are still young - 21? This is a time in your life where you can look into all kinds of work/studies/research that might interest you. If everything is free for you, education must be free as well. Are you curious about science? Do you like to make things? Would you like to improve processes? Or learn something that will inspire others to learn it too?
    Are you perhaps stuck in a rut because you see your society with the same boring mindset that you see all around you? Now that you have left the army and that restrictive lifestyle behind you, it is time for you to start imagining what might be fun and/or rewarding - the equivalent of the dance that Allan Watts referred to. Expand your horizon and experience the difference.

Find a beat that you cannot resist :-)

Best wishes!

• you must have a very good karma from your past...
    you are living in comfort but you are also sensitive to the issue and be aware of it...thats double good karma...
    I like lady_alison's advice...help oher people...
    if I were you - if I don't have to work - then I would create a working schedule for myself 9-5...mornings I would go to hospital, evenings I go to homeless shelter and somehow spend my day meaningful...there you have your job and you continue to create good karma...
    so much comfort is not good...you fall a sleep...
  • you must have a very good karma from your past...
    you are living in comfort but you are also sensitive to the issue and be aware of it...thats double good karma...
    in germany everyone can apply for unemployment pay (called hartz4) if they want, its not very much but you can live with it. but i guess most people who receive this dont see themselves in a very fortunate situation.

• What do you go to evening college for, I mean what are you interested in?

I believe you are still young - 21? This is a time in your life where you can look into all kinds of work/studies/research that might interest you. If everything is free for you, education must be free as well. Are you curious about science? Do you like to make things? Would you like to improve processes? Or learn something that will inspire others to learn it too?
    Are you perhaps stuck in a rut because you see your society with the same boring mindset that you see all around you? Now that you have left the army and that restrictive lifestyle behind you, it is time for you to start imagining what might be fun and/or rewarding - the equivalent of the dance that Allan Watts referred to. Expand your horizon and experience the difference.

Find a beat that you cannot resist :-)

Best wishes!

I am am studying to become a graduate and then apply for university, in Psychology. Yes, Im 22 of recently. Education is free.

I do already have an degree from a vocational school, but I cant get into university with it. The good thing is I don´t have to go threw all of collage, just the things that will prep me for Finals, so then I can become a graduate.

I´d love to become a psychologist, I think. Thanks for the comment!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Governments should tackle the problem where to exist off the benefits that the money of others provides, is easier than making your own way. It shouldn't be easier to be a loafer, it should be far more difficult.
    As usual, it's the middle layer of society that pays... the rich can afford to not work, and the lower end of society relies on the tax deductions of the working masses to provide them with everything they want.
    This middle strata of society is referred to as the 'shit' in the sandwich, and people deliberately sponging off my hard-earned money, really make me feel like shit.
    (and please let's not get into the benefits fraudsters.... they're deliberately cheating the system, and wantonly breaking the law. That gets my goat too.....)

i have worked really hard in the past 7 years to support myself and my husband as he went through university to earn his 1st class honours degree in Law.
    It's no exaggeration to say that in all this time - all of it - we have had absolutely NO spare disposable income, and we do have debts.
    But because I earn over a specific threshold, I am not entitled to any financial assistance, consideration or support.
    Now I find that there are loafers, who are wondering whether it should be better to just keep loafing? Deliberately?
    On MY money?
    I am supporting people like you?

Forgive me if I refrain from further comment.
    I'm supposed to be a lady....
  • Loafing is definitely Buddhist. Buddha himself was a loafer by modern standards. Nothing wrong with it. Capitalism makes us believe that we must work, or else ... it creates shame, fear, and all negative emotions.
  • Loafing is definitely Buddhist. Buddha himself was a loafer by modern standards. Nothing wrong with it. Capitalism makes us believe that we must work, or else ... it creates shame, fear, and all negative emotions.
    yeah this is what i thought before i went to my first retreat.

meditating all day (and dealing with these "shame, fear, and all negative emotions") everyday is very hard work.

for me at least, much harder than my day job.
  • Umm...did op mentioned what country he's from? Is it a kingdom? Or do he mentioned if he is wealthy?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    @betaboy, I think that's utter bull.

I think you'll find the Buddha didn't achieve his loafing by deliberately living of the financial hard work of others and taking advantage of people...that wasn't his objective.
    Being a Monk and living a life of austerity requires personal dedication and self-discipline....
    so capitalism makes us believe we must work or else....
    or else, what?
    Let me see you trying to live as a monk would, without any means of financial or socially funded support.
    work creates pride, self-respect and self-worth.
    I work, and I'm proud of what i do.
    The very fact that Fenix is questioning his stance makes me think he doesn't feel the same way about what he's doing.
  • Work creates attachment, and Buddha condemned attachment. Besides, work in a capitalist society will create no positive emotions ... it is only a drudgery we put up with so as to earn our bread. It has no positive traits of any kind.
  • Umm...did op mentioned what country he's from? Is it a kingdom? Or do he mentioned if he is wealthy?

Finland. No I´m not from a wealthy family
    Work creates attachment, and Buddha condemned attachment. Besides, work in a capitalist society will create no positive emotions ... it is only a drudgery we put up with so as to earn our bread. It has no positive traits of any kind.
    No, work doesn't create attachment. Attachment to anything creates attachment.
    And who are you to tell me i have no positive traits to my work?
    the fact that i can put a grateful smile on the face of a client, because they like the service, isn't drudgery to me....

you generalise and pass judgement on something you obviously feel very biased against.
    in my opinion - fired by a long career and a lifetime's experience - you are so wrong, it's crazy.....

How old are you, by the way?
  • In the US people like you aren't called "loafers", they're called "students". You're pursuing your educational goals, you have a good plan. You could volunteer some hours for an organization related to the field of study that interests you (psychology), and that would give you some relevant work experience and it would be a source for a recommendation when you need to apply for a job in your field after you graduate. Or you could get a job in the field your vocational degree is in, though I'd recommend working part-time, if that option exists, so you'll have time for your studies. If you find work you like, in a field that interests you (now, or later, when you graduate) it won't seem like empty work just to fit in. You'll derive satisfaction from it.

The animal shelter volunteering or other volunteer opportunities may turn into a paying job eventually, you never know. Are there any organizations in your area that work in human rights or international development? Humanitarian work like that can be very rewarding.
  • ...Are there any organizations in your area that work in human rights or international development? Humanitarian work like that can be very rewarding.
    Not that I know of. But I havent been looking. Where should I look for something like that?
    Try googling 'Human rights organisations [*where you live*]'....
  • @betaboy I like my job, and have had some great experiences and met some great people in my previous jobs... I wouldn't trade any of it for a life of loafing
  • Not that I know of. But I havent been looking. Where should I look for something like that?
    http://www.helsinki.fi/developmentstudies/research/NGOs.html