Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone else dread non-existence?

JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
It's kindof funny - I grew up a catholic and compared to Hell, non-existence is great. But I don't know. There is something at the core of my being that dreads the idea. It's probably a pride thing, as, no matter how much I deny it vocally, the undercurrents of my thoughts hint at the belief that I am 'great' or bound for something 'great'.

I talk to some folks and they sincerely seem to not dread it, so I'm assuming it's me. Socrates seemed fine with it. :) Gotta get over myself I guess.

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    There is no such thing as non existence.

Its just another thought projection of an absence. An absence that only makes sense when connecting a perceived something.

The problem began with the perception of a solid fixed thing. Thus something, thus nothing.

If there is neither something or nothing we have reality. Which is appearances of consciousness coming and going due to conditions.

What is lost, never was like how we thought. Thus absolutely nothing is lost.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Not at all, it is just oblivion. Not like you're going to be around to hate it, nor will you even notice your passing into it. Non-existence is not to be feared, nor loved, or... anything really, since technically it does not exist to us.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran

Its just another thought projection of an absence. An absence that only makes sense when connecting a perceived something.

The problem began with the perception of a solid fixed thing. Thus something, thus nothing.

If there is neither something or nothing we have reality. Which is appearances of consciousness coming and going due to conditions.

What is lost, never was like how we thought. Thus absolutely nothing is lost.
    Nice post. the presence of an absence...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    At times. Quite often though I actually crave oblivion, this is a personality trait I inherited from my father. I fall into a state of despair and wish it would all just end. Its not all encompassing anymore and usually doesn't last so long. But really I'd rather have a happy existence than none at all.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

There is, it's called "death". :p
    Non-existence is not to be feared, nor loved, or... anything really, since technically it does not exist to us.
    OK, but then why do people fear death and cling to life? There seems to be a deep-seated attachment ( clinging ) to our personal existence, or at least to the world of sense-impressions.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

There is, it's called "death". :p
    Are you sure? =]
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Non-existence is not to be feared, nor loved, or... anything really, since technically it does not exist to us.
    OK, but then why do people fear death and cling to life? There seems to be a deep-seated attachment ( clinging ) to our personal existence, or at least to the world of sense-impressions.
    Ignorance.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Social pressure and conditioning.
    If we lived in other cultures, such as Nepalese or Hindu cultures, and had been brought up in those environments, we'd be less concerned....
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2012
    "The world in general, Kaccaayana, inclines to two views, to existence[2] or to non-existence.[3] But for him who, with the highest wisdom, sees the uprising of the world as it really is,[4] 'non-existence of the world' does not apply, and for him who, with highest wisdom, sees the passing away of the world as it really is, 'existence of the world' does not apply.

"The world in general, Kaccaayana, grasps after systems and is imprisoned by dogmas. But he[6] does not go along with that system-grasping, that mental obstinacy and dogmatic bias, does not grasp at it, does not affirm: 'This is my self.' He knows without doubt or hesitation that whatever arises is merely dukkha that what passes away is merely dukkha and such knowledge is his own, not depending on anyone else. This, Kaccaayana, is what constitutes right view.

"'Everything exists,' this is one extreme [view]; 'nothing exists,' this is the other extreme. Avoiding both extremes the Tathaagata teaches a doctrine of the middle: Conditioned by ignorance are the formations... [as SN 12.10]... So there comes about the arising of this entire mass of suffering. But from the complete fading away and cessation of ignorance there comes the cessation of the formations, from the cessation of the formations comes the cessation of consciousness... So there comes about the complete cessation of this entire mass of suffering." http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.wlsh.html
    I think he is saying don't go to extremes and then there is no reason to dread anything. :)

I find this to be a good article on Buddhist ideas of existence. :)
    Therefore it is said: There are three teachers in the world. The first teacher teaches the existence of an eternal ego-entity outlasting death: that is the Eternalist, as for example the Christian. The second teacher teaches a temporary ego-entity which becomes annihilated at death: that is the annihilationist, or materialist. The third teacher teaches neither an eternal, nor a temporary ego-entity: this is the Buddha. The Buddha teaches that, what we call ego, self, soul, personality etc., are merely conventional terms not referring to any real independent entity. And he teaches that there is only to be found this psychophysical process of existence changing from moment to moment. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/various/wheel202.html
  • Everything seemed fine to me before I was conceived. I'm thinking death will be much the same.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2012
    There is something at the core of my being that dreads the idea.
    perhaps avoid dealing with the idea of it like you are doing; trying to rationally make sense of some concepts (how could this be, how could they be fine with this, etc...)

Just deal with the actual negative emotional reaction.

There is a button inside of you, a trigger that push this button, and a reaction (negative emotional reaction) once the button got pushed.

Trigger: I see/think of a dog.
    reaction: Fear. (sensation of fear in the belly, fearful thought.

Trigger: I think of losing something i love
    reaction: Fear and sadness. (sensation of fear and sadness in the belly, sad and fearful thought.)

Trigger: I think of non-existence
    reaction: Fear (or whatever else). (sensation of fear in the belly, fearful thought.)

perhaps deal with the actual physical phenomena, not the idea that triggers it.
    lose the knee jerk reactions and the concepts will be much clearer.
  • JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
    perhaps avoid dealing with the idea of it like you are doing; trying to rationally make sense of some concepts (how could this be, how could they be fine with this, etc...)

Just deal with the actual negative emotional reaction.
    Great point! That is one of the things I've really learned from meditation. I think it's easy to get confused thinking too much about things (as I have the tendency to do) as opposed to letting meditation make them obvious. That being said, then I read some Buddhist literature and it is so obscure/abstract I can't help but ponder it to see if I agree/understand.

Thanks to everyone for the post, here are some replies:

@taiyaki - but couldn't you make a similar argument about pain? And there are very very few people who are so enlightened that pain does not affect them, and all the sophistry one might weave isn't going to suddenly make someone no longer affected by it.

@lamaramadingdong, @Zayl - I know - my fears are not rational. Like I said, it's just more this core dread almost like a phobia.

@federica - Perhaps. But people can be conditioned to believe and value almost anything. I think it's safe to say that we have an in-grained fear of death leftover from evolution in our reptilian brain that we start out with as children. Every one of our evolutionary ancestors had it as well, otherwise we wouldn't have evolved. Also, much of the Buddhism practiced by Nepalese and Hindus subscribes to reincarnation, I believe. And if I believed in it, I wouldn't be afraid of dying. Perhaps I would be afraid of reaching Nirvana and exiting from the dukkha cycle (samsara?) though...

@person - I know that feeling! Paradoxically, I've craved it as well many times...

@porpoise - close to the heart of what I feel

@seeker - thank you! Though that's kindof what I'm getting at when I say obscure/abstract...

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2012
    pain is a sensation. On the basis of conditioning we call such and such sensations pain.

Sensations arise do to karmic conditions. And even us calling it pain is due to karmic conditions.

If pain was inherently pain it could not change. If pain objectively existed it could not be in flux. Pain comes in waves of sensations. It is not consistent.

Thus if we change the conditions we change the perception of pain. Pain cannot exist apart from the projection on the basis of sensations.

Basically anything that appears in experience cannot have the status we attribute to it. Be it existence, non existence, both or neither. That which exists is apparent and real but like sand in the hands it cannot be grasped as an entity that has any sort of inherent existence. Why? Because it arises due to conditions being met and it ceases when conditions are not met.

Change your perception and you change everything.
  • Dreading something that could hurt your being is quite normal. But "non-existence" is just a thought. Thinking about something will not hurt anyone. We should think before we carry out an action anyways. Perhaps you should take comfort in how you feel instead of discomfort. Actually we should dread things we do without thinking about it first.
    @tai
    pain is a sensation. On the basis of conditioning we call such and such sensations pain.

Sensations arise do to karmic conditions. And even us calling it pain is due to karmic conditions.

If pain was inherently pain it could not change. If pain objectively existed it could not be in flux. Pain comes in waves of sensations. It is not consistent.

Thus if we change the conditions we change the perception of pain. Pain cannot exist apart from the projection on the basis of sensations.

Basically anything that appears in experience cannot have the status we attribute to it. Be it existence, non existence, both or neither. That which exists is apparent and real but like sand in the hands it cannot be grasped as an entity that has any sort of inherent existence. Why? Because it arises due to conditions being met and it ceases when conditions are not met.

Change your perception and you change everything.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess my point is that regardless of whether or not I agree or believe with what you are saying, if you hit my hand with a hammer, I will scream in pain no matter how I prefer to act. I have learned to a small degree how to react/experience pain differently by changing my outlook through meditation (looking at pain with more curiosity than dread), but it's not simply because I believed something or not. I would argue that our reactions to being burned alive would be similar despite our beliefs. There are those that have internalized (for lack of a better word) those ideas to the extent that they still have control despite such external stimuli that our body evolved to respond too. But the mere act of belief is not enough.

So, while I don't dispute your logic, it's not the whole picture. I guess it depends on the definition of 'believe'. There are things you can believe with your rational mind that don't convince the other parts. Hypnotism seems to be a way to convince all parts of your mind. Ok, now I'm going off in a tangent :) Thanks again.
    Changing the perception is really the heart of the issue, and I think logical exercise can only take you a small part of the way.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @twaitsfan -- There are times when what Buddhists call "ego" gets a full-frontal-nudity clue that the "ego" is not some fershur, abiding thing. I'm talking about experience, here, not scripture or guru gab. If anyone's whole life has been premised on the assumption (spoken or unspoken) that "I" am, then the experience can be spooky... very spooky. It can feel like death... or anyway an imaginative version thereof.

Assuming this is not just a psychotic tremor of some sort (see a shrink), then it is an experience that needs to be digested, to be woven into the ordinary tapestry of life. This doesn't happen overnight and is a good reason for those who practice meditation to keep up a meditation practice. Meditation allows you to -- so to speak -- chew your food. If meditation is too scary at the moment, then lay off it for a while ... watch TV or something. If not, then do a little meditation every day. There is no rush to this. You are not trying to choke down a whole chicken in a single mouthful. You are not trying to suppress or escape the fears. Just chew. Just do your meditation practice.

Bit by bit, what was so odd and so spooky becomes easier and less confounding. It's nothing out of the ordinary. Bit by bit, the fear eases up.

Take your time. There is no cliff to fall off. Take your time and treat twaitsfan with a firm but gentle respect.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    You can take it as a logical or intellectual exercise.
    Or you can apply it to your life and in meditation.

To be honest with you it would be awesome if you really spent some serious time in meditation and examine your experience.

For instance you could start by examining non-existence. Non existence of what exactly? What do you consider yourself to be? Examine all of this in your life and on the cushion.

Good luck!
    Thanks @genkaku and @taiyaki!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think chronic pain is really very hard to work with. But acute pain I have even savored as a delicious meal (honestly) since it was a distraction from my 'bad body feeling' I sometimes have due to anti-psychotics. The BBF is like the chakras are not flowing and there is irresolution in my body.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Not many people like pain. Feeling pain kind of sucks but it has a purpose. It tells us something is wrong. We can't heal or fix a problem we don't know about.

Also I see a big difference between respecting death and fearing it. I respect that putting my finger in a fuze socket will fry me but I don't fear fuze sockets. Fearing death will only cause anxiety and over-cautiousness. It isn't going anywhere whether we like it or not so there isn't too much use worrying about it.

My opinion is that these individual selves are just an illusion anyways but not that we are unreal. The illusion is that of being seperate, not being, lol.

Subjectively we cease to exist but objectively, there is no-thing to lose.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Imagine somebody so worried about death that they walk into a bus...

Day-mares!

• "You" are the one dreading this. The kicker is, "you" don't really exist to start with. There is no independently existing entity that is "you", so if "you" didn't exist, where's the problem?

Many other religions go from the premise that there is a discreet, ongoing "you", separate from all others and from god. "You" will go to heaven or hell, and "you" can be forgiven by god or condemned to eternal hellfire and brimstone (what the heck is brimstone anyway?). They presuppose that "you" are going to sit on a cloud in the sky for the rest of eternity, or that "you" will be hopping around on hot rocks for the rest of eternity (with or without seven virgins).
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    This is the video I stumbled on that started my journey... I still enjoy coming back to it.

Ignorance.
    Good answer, but could you elaborate on what you mean by "ignorance"?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2012
    When you stare into the abyss and realize with dread that one day you will be gone, and that even the people who know your name will forget and be gone, and it will be as if you never even lived, and even the Earth itself will one day be a burnt cinder devoid of life in an uncaring universe...you know what Dukkha means.

When the first proto-human developed a brain capable of looking at a dead body and realizing that could also happen to him or her, our race started a quiet journey of dispair and a search for immortality. Beliefs sprang up that death is not the end and became comforting blankets against the grave. Some seek immortality in our children, or creating fame in one way or another. All comforting thoughts that hold back the abyss.

But for some of us, we understand the end is there, and that's the way it should be. Every story has to have an end. Every book has to have a final page. We learn to focus on what comes before death as the important thing. We don't embrace death, any more than we reject life. We accept it all as one big package to be experienced while it lasts.

Make a point to find a nice, quiet cemetary on a nice day for a walk and some meditation and read the headstones. Imagine the people who lived and died and left this little memorial behind. Some were babies, some old, some were parents and maybe some were bad or good people. They were all people, and one way or another, their life, short or long, made a difference in the world.

It's not morbid. It's natural to dread the abyss. Let it come in its own time, the ending to your life's story. Farewells are meant to be sad. For now, we have way too much work to do making the living part of our journey a good one.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Ignorance.
    Good answer, but could you elaborate on what you mean by "ignorance"?
    This, that duality and giving inherent existence to what we grasp as this or that.

When something is made then the reaction to that something is always aversion or attachment. I like this, i don't like this.

But if you don't make any stories or attach to anything then everything is left as it is. What is there to add or take away? Even if there is any reaction it is just habit. Why bother? Who bothers?

The sunshines regardless.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Well written Cinorjer. And yes I dread non-existence. This can even be seen as boredom during the day.

This, that duality and giving inherent existence to what we grasp as this or that.
    So we fear death because it involves separation from the objects of our attachment and clinging?

So we fear death because it involves separation from the objects of our attachment and clinging?
    Makes sense to me, especially if you consider our bodies and our memories as objects of attachment.

Makes sense to me, especially if you consider our bodies and our memories as objects of attachment.
    This reminds me of the "clinging" link in dependent origination ( upādāna ). There are said to be four types, of which the last is apparently most significant:

sense-pleasure clinging (kamupadana)
    wrong-view clinging (ditthupadana)
    rites-and-rituals clinging (silabbatupadana)
    self-doctrine clinging (attavadupadana).
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    We humans are the only creatures that are aware of our own death.
    As a whole I believe it scares us greatly, therefore we don't talk about it, we dress up corpses and say they are "sleeping".
    We divert ourselves with all manner of distractions.
    This knowledge of death is our underlying angst. If we stare into the mirror too long we realize the emptiness behind it all. Most people can't bear to look.
    Some will look and wonder what's the point, pity. Others will look and see complete freedom.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @porpoise, Could you say something about the self-doctrine clinging? Attavadupanadana. Please, no links I am allergic to those :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2012
    not to divert the thread too much but
    i don't think that's right.

elephants walking to their cemetery before dying comes to mind...

and if they do this, it would seem to be a fairly reasonable assumption that a whole lot of other animals are doing it too.
    -------->

end of interlude!

edit:
    this turned out to be a myth...
    no elephant graveyards after all...
    @porpoise, Could you say something about the self-doctrine clinging? Attavadupanadana. Please, no links I am allergic to those :)
    For a Buddhist it would be intellectually understanding the anatta doctrine but deep down not really seeing it and believing it, which means still clinging to a sense of self.

This passage from the Anatta-lakkhana Sutta is relevant:

"Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'
    "Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in form, he finds estrangement in feeling, he finds estrangement in perception, he finds estrangement in determinations, he finds estrangement in consciousness.
    "When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"

edited May 2012
    There's this notion amongst those who believe our death is the end of consciousness that accepting the finality of death is really courageous and brave. Compared to believing that God will save us and give us ever lasting happiness, it is. Compared to Buddhist cosmology I'm not so sure. To me the notion that we can't escape the consequences of our actions and that negative actions are much more common and easier to engage in than positive ones, so that, in effect, we spend most of our infinite lives in more painful conditions than the ones we have now, is a much more terrifying notion. In the face of that I welcome oblivion. Maybe the physicalist view is correct but, to me, it isn't more courageous.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    There's this notion amongst those who believe our death is the end of consciousness that accepting the finality of death is really courageous and brave. Compared to believing that God will save us and give us ever lasting happiness, it is. Compared to Buddhist cosmology I'm not so sure. To me the notion that we can't escape the consequences of our actions and that negative actions are much more common and easier to engage in than positive ones, so that, in effect, we spend most of our infinite lives in more painful conditions than the ones we have now, is a much more terrifying notion. In the face of that I welcome oblivion.</blockquote
    If one cannot recall one's past existence, one only knows this existence. Even if we were to go from life to life in various hell realms or heavens or in between how would we know the difference if there is no recollection? I think facing death is hard. I think anything that suggests an alternative to one's finitude is glossing over or softening what is fundamentally so.
  • There is something at the core of my being that dreads the idea. It's probably a pride thing
    Buddha called it bhava thanha. The greed for continued existence. It's an attachment
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    There's this notion amongst those who believe our death is the end of consciousness that accepting the finality of death is really courageous and brave. Compared to believing that God will save us and give us ever lasting happiness, it is. Compared to Buddhist cosmology I'm not so sure. To me the notion that we can't escape the consequences of our actions and that negative actions are much more common and easier to engage in than positive ones, so that, in effect, we spend most of our infinite lives in more painful conditions than the ones we have now, is a much more terrifying notion. In the face of that I welcome oblivion. Maybe the physicalist view is correct but, to me, it isn't more courageous.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night!"

We are all afraid of pain and being helpless and being sick and being injured. How we face that fear is about individual character, not about our beliefs. If someone comes at me with a knife, I'm afraid of the knife no matter what my beliefs about what happens after I'm dead. What I do because of that fear, freeze or run or fight, depends on so many factors that have nothing to do with beliefs.

I do believe you're on to something, though. Maybe folks kinda mistake the motivation for our reactions to death. It's not fear of dying, but desire to continue living forever that we're talking about here. Also mixed with this is the desire not to be separated from the people and things we love. When a devout Christian talks about Heaven in personal terms, it's all about not suffering any more and rejoining all the dead loved ones who we wish were still in our lives. It's not really about the fear of Hell or getting to bask in God's glow, although they do throw that in.

Only when we include the desire to continue forever does a universe of infinite reincarnations seem attractove. It was meant to be a trap that people long to escape from. After all, the rules of karma as claimed to power the process are designed to make it almost impossible to escape.

not to divert the thread too much but
    i don't think that's right.

elephants walking to their cemetery before dying comes to mind...

and if they do this, it would seem to be a fairly reasonable assumption that a whole lot of other animals are doing it too.
    -------->

end of interlude!

edit:
    this turned out to be a myth...
    no elephant graveyards after all...
    I had made that same mistake. However, I saw a video of a very cruel and unusual experiment where some people had recorded an elephant before it died and played it back a few months after to the dead elephants child.

It was very sad to see this creature honking back and looking for its mother.

I love elephants.

I honestly don't think I can say I fear or invite oblivion. I am very curious as to what will happen next. Not just when I leave this existance but in this existence as well.

We are natural born explorers and whether there is a reason for that or not could be beside the point.

We are born to go.

Is not going even an option?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We are born to go.

Is not going even an option?
    Precisely.
    some people say that even 'not choosing' is a choice, but the way I see it, this will be the ultimate 'no choice but to....' moment.

If I know it's coming I'm going to try something.

I'm going to try to aim.

Here's some words from someone who needed to believe in rebirth to provide comfort for his fears.

29. And going to the charnel ground,
    When shall I compare
    My body with the dry bones there,
    So soon to fall to nothing, all alike?

30. This form of mine, this very flesh,
    Is soon to give out such a stench
    That even jackals won't come close-
    For that indeed is all its destiny

31. This body, now so whole and integral,
    This flesh and bone that life has knit together,
    Will drift apart, disintigrate.
    And how much more will friend depart from friend?

32. Alone we're born, alone we come into the world,
    And when we die, alone we pass away.
    For no one shares our fate, and none our suffering.
    So what are they to me, such "friends" and all their hindrances?

-Shantideva The Bodhisattva's Way of Life chaper 8 - Meditation

I think there is also this assumption among some, including those who do subscribe to rebirth, that our future lives will generally be in positive and happy conditions similar to the ones we find ourselves in in this life.

It's easy to get swept up in harmful ways and follow what in the short term may seem to protect us but in the long run causes harm, doing what is best for our long term happiness requires reflection and effort. Give me oblivion over this grim fate. Thank goodness there's a 3rd noble truth.
    It's all fun and games until someone loses a perspective.

Then it's a sport.

I think facing death is hard. I think anything that suggests an alternative to one's finitude is glossing over or softening what is fundamentally so.
    I agree, and perhaps this is the basis of most religious belief.
    Facing death is hard.

Not facing death is harder.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    death is the greatest motivation and fuel for ones practice.
    realize that time is short. we can die whenever. it is uncertain.

in the contrasting face of death what matters? nothing matters except our spiritual practice, how kind we've been to others, how much we served others.

face death nakedly. out of this if done right should come a more realistic and compassionate point of view.

though death is another karmic appearance based on conditions, one must not worry in attachment or aversion. for there was nothing to lose but a thought. if we were to allow this to penetrate our minds and hearts.

how happy and peaceful we would be. how able to serve others.

time for some death meditation. =]
    Nicely put taiyaki. Great perspective.

• There is something at the core of my being that dreads the idea.
    @twaitsfan -- There are times when what Buddhists call "ego" gets a full-frontal-nudity clue that the "ego" is not some fershur, abiding thing. I'm talking about experience, here, not scripture or guru gab. If anyone's whole life has been premised on the assumption (spoken or unspoken) that "I" am, then the experience can be spooky... very spooky. It can feel like death... or anyway an imaginative version thereof.

Assuming this is not just a psychotic tremor of some sort (see a shrink), then it is an experience that needs to be digested, to be woven into the ordinary tapestry of life. This doesn't happen overnight and is a good reason for those who practice meditation to keep up a meditation practice. Meditation allows you to -- so to speak -- chew your food. If meditation is too scary at the moment, then lay off it for a while ... watch TV or something. If not, then do a little meditation every day. There is no rush to this. You are not trying to choke down a whole chicken in a single mouthful. You are not trying to suppress or escape the fears. Just chew. Just do your meditation practice.

Bit by bit, what was so odd and so spooky becomes easier and less confounding. It's nothing out of the ordinary. Bit by bit, the fear eases up.

Take your time. There is no cliff to fall off. Take your time and treat twaitsfan with a firm but gentle respect.

I've been getting "the fear" in my Zazen from time to time.

That comment was tremendously reassuring, thank you :) It's so helpful to have some context with these things.