Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reiki, Chi and other energetic healings

enkoenko Explorer
edited June 2012 in Diet & Habits
What is everyones experience/opinion on energy healing such as Reiki or Qi Gong?
Or the concept of chi generally etc?

Does the buddha, or other learned buddhists make mention of such things?

I had some Usui Reiki attunements done about 10 years ago. I still use it on myself most days when watching tv or after meditating. Also on select people or my pets who love it. To me the feeling is a warm, peaceful glow and really helps the letting go. I have also experienced a Qi Gong healing treatment whilst ill and it really was amazing the boost i got, very euphoric (i know no attachment).

Anyone else have any similar stories or insights?

Comments

• Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    I have had two Reiki treatments. I'll be honest, it didn't seem to do a thing for me.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Heard of QiGong?
  • I think it is an art, but unfortunately I don't know too much about it.

I don't doubt the concept of Chi at all by the way.

Abu
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I've have some lung/chakra problems in the past and considered seeing a reiki healer.

I'm curious if its worth going to? Anyone ever been? And have they fixed any energy related problems?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've have some lung/chakra problems in the past and considered seeing a reiki healer.

I'm curious if its worth going to? Anyone ever been? And have they fixed any energy related problems?
    A lot depends on the healer. I've talked to people who have seen Japanese Reiki masters who have been blown away by the results. I've been to American Reiki practitioners, and not got anything out of it. I don't like it when "energy healers" charge a good chunk of change without giving results. Some people either have the skill further developed than others, or have a stronger natural electro-magnetic charge than other people, or both.

Tai, I'd say choose your practitioner very carefully, or stick with Japanese acupuncture.

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I believe those systems can be effective, but it also seems to depend on the openness/sensitivity of the patient. I also think healers could offer first session for free.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @Dakini

Japanese acupuncture might be interesting.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be careful on who I choose to throw my money at.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @taiyaki

My bf does reiki; he learned it while he was living in japan. They used to have sessions where all the reiki practitioners would gather and give reiki to each other. You might see if there is a group that meets, just for the intent of practicing. This group in Tokyo you could attend for free, so others might be the same.

I find that reiki at the very least just helps me relax on a deeper level, be it real or placebo.
  • @taiyaki

I have also seen energy workers, but I agree with Dakini in that the difficulty would be knowing who is the real deal and who is not. And like SattvaPaul, I think it also depends on the patient - if you are not open and sensitive yourself, then it can also be hard to tell.

Though I have a good friend who does Shiatsu work and tells me the therapy is working regardless if the patient is too in their head or not.

Best wishes,
    Abu

• Does the buddha, or other learned buddhists make mention of such things?

The Buddhist Masters may have knowledge of such things, but they generally don't distract students with side matters (in this instance) as students have enough to work with usually just as we are :)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Chinese Buddhism has a long history of cross-pollination with Taoism and there seems to be some understanding of Chi by some teachers. And of course in Vajrayana you have manipulation of prana and physical exercises like Kum Nye and the whole system of Tibetan medicine, which I understand is to a large degree based on Ayurveda. Nowadays many teachers would recommend some form of movement practice like yoga or tai chi/qigong to complement sitting meditation. So there is use of energy healing methods.
  • enkoenko Explorer
    I agree that in some part it depends on a persons sensitivity to notice how it works but reiki is not dependant on someone being open minded or whatever. I dont really think too much about how it works or why it works i just know it does for me and was one of the best things i did.

Usui who developed Reiki was a japanese buddhist and through "mystical revelation" during a buddhist retreat gained the knowledge and spiritual power to attune people. (see wiki). Reiki practitioners believe everyone has the power to channel this energy, just need the attunements.

Shoalin monks are another example of Buddhists controlling their chi to do some pretty amazing things.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @Dakini

Japanese acupuncture might be interesting.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be careful on who I choose to throw my money at.
    Japanese acupuncture has preserved the old Taoist techniques. What is today called Traditional Chinese Acupuncture (TCM) is anything but traditional. The other best choice is to find someone who learned acupuncture in Taiwan or Hong Kong, or who studied under someone who did. Again, you get the really good stuff, the old time Taoist techniques. Also, those people can usually do Reiki-type work if you ask them. In addition to acupuncture.

• I am a Reiki Master (Usui tradition) and I'm a natural skeptic of all things "woo-woo" as they say.
    Even doing Reiki on myself - Ol' Skeptical me - has worked so well, I was amazed.
    I have seen my skin disorder disappear for weeks at a time. Knee pain (moderate to severe daily pain) would nearly disappear after one or two Reiki sessions before bedtime, and stay minimal for a couple weeks as well. It works.
    But I gave up -a long time- ago trying to assess in a strictly logical and/or scientific manner why Reiki works -- and I just accept that it does.

Perhaps it's the placebo effect; mind-over-matter; simply relaxation and de-stressing that makes Reiki clients/patients feel better in general. ? Does it matter?

I combine my Reiki sessions with Chakra sound therapy (Chakra tuned singing bowls) ... and the two work together so naturally, and so well, that clients never want Reiki without the singing bowls again.

And yes, I agree with Enko and most other Reiki practitioners -- anyone can do Reiki with the proper teacher, technique and attunements. No special woo-woo required. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    What is everyones experience/opinion on energy healing such as Reiki or Qi Gong?
    Or the concept of chi generally etc?

Does the buddha, or other learned buddhists make mention of such things?

Anyone else have any similar stories or insights?
    Hakuin Zenji (1686 -1769 A.D.) is credited with combining self anma and zazen for his disquieted mind. Some Chinese Zen temples use Moxibustion & acupuncture. Some Japanese Zen temples incorporate Shiatsu and holding of various mudra points to sort out chi blockages. I stayed for a while in a Zen Monastery where Jin Shin Do was taught as a way of bringing releases of blocked chi along the meridian mudra points. This was primarily presented as an augment to a spiritual practise and could be done on oneself or with others .
    It definitely caused discernable effects depending on what paired mudra points were worked on but most people that I know who meditate regularly found the results a bit too coarse and with slightly manipulative over tones.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm officially *Liking* @MaryAnne's post.

grab a coffee, this is long.....:D

It seems to be a trait of the western mind-set to be analytical to the point of scepticism about certain things...I remember reading a funny anecdote in Reader's Digest ('Points to Ponder') that an educated scientist, wearing a white coat and carrying a clipboard, in the corridors of an official scientific research establishment, can tell us, looking at a star, that it's very possible that star no longer exists, due to the time light takes to travel.... and we say, *wow*... googly-eyed and amazed... Yet a Park attendant can tell us to not sit on the bench, the paint is still damp, and we have to touch it to make sure for ourselves....:D

I am an ex- registered Feng Shui Consultant with the Feng Shui International Association, (lapsed membership, admittedly - the money they want, for the prestige of being able to say that!) but I used tobe a very busy lady, and did frequent consultations for people, and (just being overly simplistic here) the Right Hemisphere of my brain would be instructing people to 'move that mirror there, and hang this picture here, and buy a blue vase, and place a red pot....' and the Left Hemisphere would be saying "What the phukk in god's name do you think you're talking about - ?! you crazy woman, whatchoo doing?!" And my right side would tell my left side to shut up and just go with it...

And whaddya know....why? I don't know, I can't explain - but time, after time, after time, people would call me up a few days later and say - "OMG!! you will NEVAH guess what happened! After we did what you suggested...." and folks would regale me with positive results of my visits and recommendations. It stunned even me, I promise you.
    but something worked. Things fell into place, and something had a positive effect.

Funnily enough, people would look me up, ask me to go over, assess their home, request I give them a consultation, submit a written report with recommendations, and rely - even depend at times - on my personal expertise to help them remedy whatever 'problem' they had, and pay my fee....and then when they achieved some kind of positive result, would call me and say "Well, I don't know whether it's a coincidence, but...." so even after all that personal and financial investment, they were still a little sceptical and reluctant to put the apparent change in their fortunes, for the better, down to something which is frankly intangible and invisible. It could all have just been a coincidence.
    I had about 187 such coincidences. ;)

I know Chi exists, because I've felt it, and I've used and channelled it, both for my own benefit and that of others. I've taught people Qi Gong, and they've all, without exception, benefited from the results. I practice shiatsu, and I know how to Feng Shui an environment.

But please don't ask me to explain or clarify it.
    That's when my articulate, voluble and communicative skills fail me miserably.
    Chapter 1

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named is not the eternal name
    The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
    The named is the mother of myriad things
    Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
    Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
    These two emerge together but differ in name
    The unity is said to be the mystery
    Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

Chapter 2

When the world knows beauty as beauty, ugliness arises
    When it knows good as good, evil arises
    Thus being and non-being produce each other
    Difficult and easy bring about each other
    Long and short reveal each other
    High and low support each other
    Music and voice harmonize each other
    Front and back follow each other
    Therefore the sages:
    Manage the work of detached actions
    Conduct the teaching of no words
    They work with myriad things but do not control
    They create but do not possess
    They act but do not presume
    They succeed but do not dwell on success
    It is because they do not dwell on success
    That it never goes away

From here
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Perhaps it's the placebo effect; mind-over-matter; simply relaxation and de-stressing that makes Reiki clients/patients feel better in general. ? Does it matter?
    My experience has been that alternative therapies like this do rely on the placebo effect. Well, OK, but why not just call it "counselling"? Why add all the mumbo-jumbo?

• Federica said: "grab a coffee, this is long..... "

Gee, by some coinky-dink I had JUST sat down with my first cuppa coffee when I saw your reply! ;)

and:
    "... and did frequent consultations for people, and (just being overly simplistic here) the Right Hemisphere of my brain would be instructing people to 'move that mirror there, and hang this picture here, and buy a blue vase, and place a red pot....' and the Left Hemisphere would be saying "What the phukk in god's name do you think you're talking about - ?! you crazy woman, whatchoo doing?!" And my right side would tell my left side to shut up and just go with it... "

I can sooooo relate to that two sided brain issue! Thank you for allowing me to see *I* am not 'crazy'.... or, umm... perhaps we both are? LOL Well, good company and all that...

Anyway, I know only a little about Feng Shui, myself, but I have felt the newly positive affects of a rearranged room according to Feng Shui beliefs, so yeah, I believe it works -- some how, some way, for some reason. :)
    I'm not going to 'waste time' trying to analyze it and explain it away for myself. Would that really change anything?

Love the anecdote, by the way. So true!

• I believe. A few years ago I was getting ready to go on a wilderness trip so had my gear spread all over the floor in the living room. I would stub my toe and trip on it during the night as I moved through the house with the lights off. My wife said, "Get that Sh!t out of here!". I took her advice and not only did I quit tripping on stuff, our relationship improved.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2012
    My daughters once gave me a little book titled "The Little Book of 'Wrong Shui" which took a side-swipe at the Practice.
    I laughed so much the tears ran down my legs....

• Perhaps it's the placebo effect; mind-over-matter; simply relaxation and de-stressing that makes Reiki clients/patients feel better in general. ? Does it matter?
    My experience has been that alternative therapies like this do rely on the placebo effect. Well, OK, but why not just call it "counselling"? Why add all the mumbo-jumbo?
    Well, I guess you can call it "counseling" if you want to... but there are some differences; like -- you're not using words; there doesn't need to be any feedback from the client during or after a session; and it doesn't cost $150 an hour. ;)

Some people call Reiki a form of "massage"... yet there doesn't need to be any touching between practitioner and client at all. As a matter of fact, routinely, I only touch a client's crown, face, neck, shoulders / upper chest. I'm strictly hands off from that point down- unless requested to concentrate on lower joints or internal organs after that point.

I never tell clients how they should feel, or will feel during a session, because frankly it can vary wildly. Some people see colors behind closed eyes, feel warmth, feel very emotional, feel sleepy, feel jazzed -up, and some feel nothing at all. The only thing I do tell clients before they leave, is to drink a little extra water that day, eat light, and that any specific symptoms MAY sometimes get worse for the next 12-24 hrs, and then clear up considerably. I attribute that to opening the chakras and having chi flowing again which can sometimes stir things up a bit.... but balance will come soon.

Back to the original question as to how this all 'relates' to Buddhism, etc-
    I think one with a Buddhist mind-set of "Be Here Now" and "Be in the Moment" works very well for alternative healing therapies.
    There is no need to give credit to a "God" or to associate healing with reward or punishment from a higher being. There's no need for actual "belief" or faith in any spiritual path at all. I'm sure there are times for some people (many people?) when alternative healing does not work... for any number of reasons. That's Ok, too-
    but it certainly does no harm.

• I believe. A few years ago I was getting ready to go on a wilderness trip so had my gear spread all over the floor in the living room. I would stub my toe and trip on it during the night as I moved through the house with the lights off. My wife said, "Get that Sh!t out of here!". I took her advice and not only did I quit tripping on stuff, our relationship improved.
    Hi Lama... :)

Your experience proves a theory I've held for a long long time:
    that one's home (it's condition, not it's luxury or lack of it) reveals one's inner "home" as well. I find that when one comes across a home that is cluttered, scattered, disorganized, maybe even a little messy beyond normal, more often than not the person in charge of that household is also cluttered, confused, disorganized in actions and personality, and maybe not as conscientious as they could be.

I've also found that when one sees a clean and organized house at first glance but then discovers hidden messes under beds, in closets and crammed away in drawers, more often than not the homeowner is put together and confident on the outside, but has many issues on the inside...

This is why I believe you'll never see a serious, practicing Buddhist on that (American) TV show, "Hoarders". ;)

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @MaryAnne How do you balance the skeptical nature of your own mind with the necessity of being confident about your practice as a means of gaining clientele? I've been a practicing massage therapist for years and I'm a pretty big skeptic like you... nothing turns me off faster than feeling like someone is giving me some woo-woo BS. For myself personally, I almost think that I sometimes downplay my work too much because realistically, on a legal standpoint, I can't even say that massage will help anything... haah. But the people that seem to be most successful are the type that seem to have no problem promising the world. Hm.

But having said that, I realize I cannot speak on anything until I've tried it for myself... which brings me to my second question. I would really like to try reiki sometime, but how can I tell if the practitioner is authentic? It's easy to spot a bad massage therapist, lol. But when there isn't even touch involved... I don't want to try my first reiki treatment, get no result, and then form a poor opinion of the practice when it could just be that one practitioner. Part of the reason I ask is because I set up a loose trade with an acquaintance of mine who is about to take some reiki classes. Basically, massage for reiki treatments, you know how it goes... But in talking to her a little more, I found out that the training was quite pricey and the entire training took place over one weekend... which made me feel a little skeptical. That seems like so little time for something that seems like it would take a lot of work to be good at. As a reiki practitioner, what do you think?

• @ ZombieGirl,

Ahhh Z, you have hit on one of my weak(est) spots! My own skepticism getting in the way of "selling myself and Reiki" to clients! I can write quite a bit about that problem/solution and quite a bit more regarding your next comments and questions further down in your post...

Would it be appropriate to continue the conversation here? (Asking long-time members and moderators) Or should we continue the conversation off the board -- in email or some other way?

What do you think?

You can do it via messages/PMs...If @zombiegirl PMs you, reply thataway..... ;)
  • You can do it via messages/PMs...If @zombiegirl PMs you, reply thataway..... ;)
    Thanks federica.... That works. :)

There's no need for actual "belief" or faith in any spiritual path at all. I'm sure there are times for some people (many people?) when alternative healing does not work... for any number of reasons. That's Ok, too-
    but it certainly does no harm.
    It seems to me that in practice belief / faith in an alternative therapy is a requirement, otherwise it's not going to work. Another requirement is having plenty of money because these therapies are not cheap.

• @porpoise :

You said; " It seems to me that in practice belief / faith in an alternative therapy is a requirement, otherwise it's not going to work. Another requirement is having plenty of money because these therapies are not cheap."

Reiki is different in that people of ALL religious and spiritual paths can learn it, do it and once at a certain level, teach it. And people with no religious background or belief in any god can also do the same.
    Now if you meant one must have faith and 'believe' in the actual therapy itself for it to work.... well I can partially agree with you there, in most aspects.

However, Reiki teachers insist that Reiki will work whether the client/patient believes it will or not. They may not acknowledge it, they may not admit it even if they acknowledge it to themselves, but it supposedly works anyway- eventually.

As for being cheap or not... That is a whole other topic for discussion.
    Most of my Reiki clients at this time are family and friends. I charge them *nothing* in cash, but ask that they barter something for it instead. My niece cuts my hair for free, my sister-in-law will bring me baked goods, my daughter will do some house cleaning in exchange for Reiki.
    There is a tradition in Usui Reiki that there must be "an exchange of energy" between practitioner and receiver to give the Reiki 'value' (this is a simplistic explanation) .... in our modern world that exchange is measured in money - most of the time.
    When I do charge people money, (strangers) it's around $35 per session, when many spas and others get $50-60, or even more.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Reiki has no basis in verifiable medicine.

At best, it's placebo. At worst, it's an expensive waste of time.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited June 2012
    See the link in the other thread - acupuncture has been shown to have a placebo effect as well as a second effect related to pain modification.

All medicines can have a placebo effect; that's not really the issue. The issue is whether they have an effect in addition to the placebo effect.

There are numerous studies now showing the effects of acupuncture; as recently as June 11 of this year results were published of a study which "clearly demonstrates that acupuncture is a useful adjunctive therapy in reducing DOE in patients with COPD."

Dyspnea on exertion (DOE) is a "major symptom of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and is difficult to control:"

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleID=1151703
    edited June 2012

@Daozen, In your opinion.
    You make that statement as if it were fact.
    That's a little blunt and frankly, a bit disrespectful and in-your-face to those who practice Reiki (or any form of energetic therapy) and to those who have submitted to Reiki treatment and found it helpful.
    not all those who practise Reiki are extortionate crooks, and not all those who have had Reiki are lying when they say they have felt beneficial effects as a result.
    Kindly be a little more thoughtful about how you phrase and present your opinion.
    Thanks.

Now if you meant one must have faith and 'believe' in the actual therapy itself for it to work.... well I can partially agree with you there, in most aspects.
    Yes, that's what I meant. I did feel nicely relaxed after the Reiki session I had, but I also feel nicely relaxed after a haircut which is a third of the cost. ;)
    I also feel nicely relaxed after a good meditation session, which costs absolutely nothing.

To be fair, Federica, that's something you often do too.

• @Daozen

It can be (and has been) said meditation has no basis in verifiable science either. It can be said that meditation is nothing more than self-hypnosis and wish thinking. And yet, maybe you swear by it and practice meditation every day? Maybe meditation makes you feel good, centered, and will lead you to "Enlightenment"... and yet maybe you just THINK it does/will.

I think you are getting fixated on the whole money thing with Reiki and other alternative medicines. You are judging their value on what the cost is... which is exactly why there is a cost for Reiki. (in modern times - money is generally our exchange; not food, services and other barters).

I'm sorry you feel that way about alternative medicine/healing. But it's your right to limit your experiences and hand out judgments any way you see fit. Even if you're wrong.

Peace.

• Now if you meant one must have faith and 'believe' in the actual therapy itself for it to work.... well I can partially agree with you there, in most aspects.

Yes, that's what I meant. I did feel nicely relaxed after the Reiki session I had, but I also feel nicely relaxed after a haircut which is a third of the cost. ;)
    I also feel nicely relaxed after a good meditation session, which costs absolutely nothing.

Well, Porpoise, let me know the next time getting a haircut eases the pain in your hands or knees.... Because I will want to know the name of that salon! :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

$5 is not that expensive where I come from. :)

Well, Porpoise, let me know the next time getting a haircut eases the pain in your hands or knees.... Because I will want to know the name of that salon! :)
    So is there any evidence that Reiki eases joint pain? Does it cure arthritis for example?

$5 is not that expensive where I come from. :)

It's £25 per hour round here.
  • @porpois

To my way of viewing and understanding and using Reiki, it does not "cure" anything, per se.
    Can having Reiki ease physical symptoms of pain and suffering for days, weeks or longer? Absolutely. Arthritis included (which is my physical issue).

Can Reiki help balance body systems and emotional issues? Yes, I believe so.

If one believes in chakras, 'energy', chi, life-forces, etc and the manipulation or elevation of those things through meditation, prayer, chakra work, etc .... one can believe Reiki may work as well; as merely the unblocking, flow and alignment of internal chi or life-force which in turn enhances the natural body (healing) processes.

It's not going to CURE cancer, though, or any other serious physical abnormality of the body, at least not permanently. But when you take an aspirin to 'cure' your headache, do you believe you've cured your reason for headaches and will never get that pain again?

Scientific, indisputable proof ? Sorry. Don't have that. That's why it's called "alternative" medicine/healing. If one wants scientific proof, one needs to stick to chemical lab results and Big Pharma to cure symptoms.

As for the $$ issue, stay away from retreats, spas and new agey massage therapy and find a private Reiki practitioner who will give you your first session for a tiny fraction of the cost... and then keep it scaled to what YOU can afford. Some Reiki practitioners charge around $25 a session, some don't charge $ at all.

To be fair, Federica, that's something you often do too.
    point me to it, @porpoise and I'll see if clarification or explanation is in order. I'm not shy of that.
    thanks. :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012

If I'm suffering in pain and I can go to someone who can help ease that pain, why devalue that service by saying it's just a placebo. Why not look at it as going to a proffessional who works WITH you to lessen that suffering.
    It seems pretty cut & dry to me if folks say it helps them.

• If I'm suffering in pain and I can go to someone who can help ease that pain, why devalue that service by saying it's just a placebo. Why not look at it as going to a proffessional who works WITH you to lessen that suffering.
    It seems pretty cut & dry to me if folks say it helps them.
    And there you have it. Thank you.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I get the reverse stigma from taking prescription drugs. Sometimes people say that prescription drugs are a big pharma hoax. That used to really frustrate to see this attitude. Tom Cruise is a popular example.

@MaryAnne, from my perspective my need for mind drugs is threatened by people calling them just for profit. So I can totally see why you don't want people to criticize your therapy.
    edited June 2012

If I'm suffering in pain and I can go to someone who can help ease that pain, why devalue that service by saying it's just a placebo.
    I take your point, the difficulty I have is that there seems to be an assumption ( requirement? ) that the treatment is going to work in order for it to work, if you see what I mean.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to stuff like this. I've practiced martial arts for a bout 10 years, and most of my teachers (except for one) didn't believe chi existed. Personally, I think the majority of chi/ki headings are the result of a placebo effect.
    I believe it exists, and can demonstrate it too.
    When can you come round? :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Maybe chi is just muscle memory and 'being in the zone.' Or similar. Like how can people make amazing sports maneuvres?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

At best, it's placebo. At

@Daozen, In your opinion.
    It is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21531671/

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Formatted badly last post.

Reiki is placebo.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21531671/